PDA

View Full Version : Mixing it up

Twirly
10th-September-2006, 11:39 AM
Why do some leads persist with a style of dance that isn’t Ceroc (at a Ceroc freestyle) that their partner is obviously struggling with?

This has happened to me a few times, but is inspired by a dance last night…

I asked someone to dance whom I didn’t know as it was one of my favourite tracks (and am trying to be braver about asking unknown men to dance). He was obviously a very good dancer/leader, but it certainly wasn’t Ceroc, and I went into slight panic mode… cause there was footwork involved and my brain and feet wouldn’t join up. :tears: He persisted, and parts of the dance were very good (for me). I then spotted him dancing with someone else and went to watch what he was doing, and then decided to grab him afterwards and ask him what he had been trying to do with me – apparently it was tango! :eek: He was lovely, and explained about connection, frame etc. (and he seems to do just about every dance out there:worthy: ).

I feel it was a useful challenge and I’ve learnt from it (and I do want to try other styles eventually) so am not complaining, but why, since I was struggling (and I know cause I’ve been told, that I look panic-stricken in such situations!) did he continue trying to tango when I was so obviously clueless?! :confused:

Tessalicious
10th-September-2006, 12:03 PM
For certain types of music, particularly tango or WCS flavour tracks, it can be extremely difficult for a dancer (either lead or follow) who knows that dance style not to put a flavour of that style into a dance - partly because when you're learning either of those two styles you have to completely sink into the personality of it.

It's very nice that he went to the trouble to explain it to you though, and maybe it was a little taster of tango for you without having to go to the classes?

Lynn
10th-September-2006, 12:22 PM
Also tango hasn't got a set basic footwork (like salsa or WCS). The key, if you have another dance like that, is that you don't move your weight onto to your other foot till the man leads you to, and then just put it where he has led you to move to. If you apply that, you should be able to follow basic tango - its all about connection.

Maybe he continued because he could feel a connection, and you were following him, even if you didn't feel you were 'doing it right'. It doesn't really matter if you get it 'wrong' in tango.

I did my first tango freestyle dance at Ashtons when I'd done about 2 tango taster classes (2 years apart). I had no idea what I was doing!

spindr
10th-September-2006, 12:55 PM
I feel it was a useful challenge and I’ve learnt from it (and I do want to try other styles eventually) so am not complaining, but why, since I was struggling (and I know cause I’ve been told, that I look panic-stricken in such situations!) did he continue trying to tango when I was so obviously clueless?! :confused:
Hmm, if you're leading footwork, that you would like the follower to copy / mirror, e.g. a cha cha / charleston / shadows walk / monkee walks, etc. -- then you need to lead the footwork once, to show the follower. If they're really good/quick, they can follow it the second time -- if not, they might need an extra once or twice, till they "get it".

Of course, if they don't "get it" at all it may seem like you're leading it too long?

SpinDr.

bigdjiver
10th-September-2006, 01:15 PM
... but why, since I was struggling (and I know cause I’ve been told, that I look panic-stricken in such situations!) did he continue trying to tango when I was so obviously clueless?! :confused:Obviously I cannot speak for him. On a much lower level sometimes I persist with Manhattans and attempts at Cha-Cha steps with partners that are not familiar with them because, too me, those moves are just right for the music. I try to excuse myself by telling myself that we are in a dance class, and soon they might be grateful for having their horizons broadened. I sense a touch of that feeling from your account.

I like to think that the MJ environment is one where we can experiment, and occasionally mess it up, providing severe discomfort is not involved.

MartinHarper
10th-September-2006, 01:42 PM
Why do some leads persist with a style of dance that isn’t Ceroc (at a Ceroc freestyle) that their partner is obviously struggling with?

When I dance Ceroc with a Ceroc beginner, they obviously struggle with it, but the dance can still be enjoyable for both of us. It's the same dancing Outer Hebridean Three Step to someone who's never learnt it. Though, sadly, DJs don't play enough OHTS-able music at most freestyles.

Besides:

parts of the dance were very good

There you go.