PDA

View Full Version : Teaching beginners

Baruch
10th-September-2006, 12:06 AM
I've been asked to teach the beginners' revision class at my regular venue every other week. I'm leaning towards saying yes at the moment, but really I'm still undecided. On the one hand I think I'd do a reasonable job of it and probably enjoy it, but on the other hand would it interefere with my own progression? Either way, I said I'd let them know on Tuesday.

So, those of you who teach beginners' revision classes: why do you do it, has it affected your dancing at all (whether positively or negatively), what are the benefits and what (if any) is the down side?

Jivingdan
10th-September-2006, 12:20 AM
I did it for a while in Nottingham. I found for a while I got a lot of satisfaction from doing it. A lot of people who came through those classes have turned into excellent dancers and have become good friends. This is a good chance to encourage new dancers and get across your enthusiasm for dancing. If they feel they are making some progress from the revision classes they will probably come back again. On the negative side it probably afffects your dancing for the remainder of the night when you taxi. Other than that it will probably get frustrating after a while. I think you should give it a go.

Lynn
10th-September-2006, 12:26 AM
So, those of you who teach beginners' revision classes: why do you do it Because I enjoy helping others to learn.
has it affected your dancing at all (whether positively or negatively)
Negatively - I think my following can get a little worse - due to freestyling only with beginners for most of the night in the moves from that night. A few dances with a more experienced lead tends to get me back on form. Postively - to teach the taxi class effectively I've choosen to learn to lead. Its much easier to describe what the lead is doing, while dancing the follow's part, if I also know the lead's part. I think learning to lead has been useful for my dancing.
what are the benefits Seeing people smile when they get it right. Helping them to relax and realise its not the end of the world if they get a move wrong. Dancing with beginners in freestyle and seeing their confidence grow in the course of a couple of dances. Seeing them progress over the weeks (and telling them that). Having them sometimes report back to me later about a good dance experience they had with someone.

what (if any) is the down side? The only minor downside is that as our class night is our only freestyle, I often don't get round all the non-beginners on my week off duty so miss out on dancing with some guys.

Bop
10th-September-2006, 09:07 AM
I used to do it when I taxied in Nottingham - in fact Jivingdan was one of my beginners!

I really enjoyed showing people how to dance, encouraging and enthusing them. It is wonderful when someone who has been struggling suddenly gets it and after just a few weeks they are pretty competent dancers.

Saying that, I did it for about a year and then gave up as I felt my own dancing was suffering as every other week I was only dancing with beginners.

I did return to taxing about a year alter, but then stopped when we moved and haven't done any since.

Bop

Jivingdan
10th-September-2006, 04:09 PM
I used to do it when I taxied in Nottingham - in fact Jivingdan was one of my beginners!

Bop

Thanks for ther wonderful job you did with me. The passion for the dance was always there but you on my very first night told me that I would be a good dancer. I have never forgotten this and that boost to my confidence made all the difference.

A good taxi can make the difference betwen sticking at it or giving up on Ceroc.:grin:

quiet_flame
11th-September-2006, 08:04 AM
I teach at all levels over here in Oz,
One thing I can say is Beginner Progression /revision classes are some of my favorite classes to teach.

Mainly because:

1) there's usually less people in the class allowing me to focus a little more on making them great dancers who don't hurt their partners.

2) I can go into detail the mechanics of the move for both the follow and lead

3) I get to impart my passion for dance onto a whole new bunch of dancers.

4) More often than not it forces me to consider what exactly it is I do when I dance something, giving me a better awareness of what works and what doesn't with other partners. i.e. my awareness for what is completely leadable with a non dancer.. :flower:

I haven't found a downside yet... :D

Stuart M
11th-September-2006, 09:51 AM
I've been asked to teach the beginners' revision class at my regular venue every other week. I'm leaning towards saying yes at the moment, but really I'm still undecided. On the one hand I think I'd do a reasonable job of it and probably enjoy it, but on the other hand would it interefere with my own progression? Either way, I said I'd let them know on Tuesday.

If the primary concern is about whether it would "interfere" with progression, then maybe the correct motivation isn't there. "What effect will this have on my dancing" isn't the first question anyone should have, if asked to help with teaching (not suggesting this is the case here with you, B :nice: - just making a general point)
Having said that, I think it depends on what sort of progress you're thinking of. I don't think it affects competition dancing technique, though it only hinders you in terms of practice time available. If you're working at improving your lead, then generally it's a plus IMO.

So, those of you who teach beginners' revision classes: why do you do it, has it affected your dancing at all (whether positively or negatively), what are the benefits and what (if any) is the down side?
Personally it makes me more relaxed about my dancing. I became a taxi roughly the same time I ceased caring about what that 12th accordion variation was. Looking locally, I don't think being taxis has harmed the dancing of folk like Claire, jammy, drathzel, PretzelMeister or Janet ( :worthy: to you all). Whether it has harmed/benefitted mine? Dunno, that's for others to judge. I get asked for a dance about the same amount of times as I always did, so probably not.

Baruch
14th-September-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks to you all for your input. I've decided to give it a go.

ElaineB
14th-September-2006, 07:18 AM
Thanks to you all for your input. I've decided to give it a go.

Having danced with you a quite few times Barry, I think you would do a fabulous job! Lucky Cardiff! :clap:

Elaine

Baruch
19th-September-2006, 01:31 AM
I taught my first beginners' class earlier, and absolutely loved the experience. I had some very positive feedback afterwards too, which was helpful.

Thanks again to all those who have contributed to this thread. I definitely think I made the right decision.