Have I offended you, Franck...? :what:

Sparkles. x

robd
7th-September-2006, 02:46 PM
Mine too.

I can no longer participate in any four-play :(

Beowulf
7th-September-2006, 02:48 PM
you know I swore I was at rep power 6 for a week or so but I just figured I'd mis read it.. now I'm not so sure.

Perhaps the upper limits have been set to something different. I know rep power is calculated from many variables, time on forum (from when you joined) , number of posts and your own reputation.. among others. I'm not privy to the exact formulae

under par
7th-September-2006, 02:54 PM
Mine is still 6:yeah: :rofl:

but there is always the possibility I'm next:eek:

azande
7th-September-2006, 02:56 PM
My rep power has gone from 6 to 5 since the last upgrade, maybe the calculation has changed...

David Bailey
7th-September-2006, 02:57 PM
you know I swore I was at rep power 6 for a week or so but I just figured I'd mis read it.. now I'm not so sure.

Perhaps the upper limits have been set to something different. I know rep power is calculated from many variables, time on forum (from when you joined) , number of posts and your own reputation.. among others. I'm not privy to the exact formulae
It's like the Diet Coke formula, or the Google search algorithm - kept hidden away in a safe sometimes, guarded by a rabid wolf and laser beams I reckon.

Oh, OK, then - it used to be

+1 point for posting more than 10 posts
+1 point for every year you're a member
+1 point for every 2,000 posts
+1 point for every 250 rep points

But capped at 6, of course (with 2 exceptions... wonderful people that they are :grovel: )

It was messed around a bit a few weeks ago I think when there was an upgrade - someone had 11 power for a brief time didn't they?

I dunno if the system's changed now, however. There may be a new Secret Formula...

David Bailey
7th-September-2006, 02:58 PM
Brave man :worthy:

DavidY
7th-September-2006, 03:04 PM
Hmm. According to the formula DJ quoted I should have

+1 point for posting more than 10 posts +1
+1 point for every year you're a member 3 years in March 2006 so +3
+1 point for every 250 rep points More than 250, less than 500 so +1
Which would make 5, but my rep power is 4.

There may be a new Secret Formula...Looks that way..

Sparkles
7th-September-2006, 03:13 PM
My rep power has gone from 6 to 5 since the last upgrade, maybe the calculation has changed...

I could have sworn mine was still 6 a couple of days ago (even after the upgrade) but my rep today only gave 5 points (sorry about that :flower: ).

Don't get me started on the last time the rep was re-set :tears: , I just hope that's not about to happen again...?

under par
7th-September-2006, 03:20 PM
My rep power has been decreased :sad:
Does anyone know why?
Have I offended you, Franck...? :what:

Sparkles. x

Huh! When we were both 6 we were on a level par.......:yeah: but now that you are a 5 and I am 6 you are now under par and :confused: so am I :D

David Bailey
7th-September-2006, 03:27 PM
Hmm. According to the formula DJ quoted I should have

+1 point for posting more than 10 posts +1
+1 point for every year you're a member 3 years in March 2006 so +3
+1 point for every 250 rep points More than 250, less than 500 so +1
Which would make 5, but my rep power is 4.
Looks that way..

Hmmm... looks like it's now +1 rep power for every 500 rep points, not 250 - that fits all the posters on this thread I think.

We could always ask of course, but then that'd be almosts as UnManly as asking for directions.

SilverFox
7th-September-2006, 03:28 PM
Huh! When we were both 6 we were on a level par.......:yeah: but now that you are a 5 and I am 6 you are now under par and :confused: so am I :DBut if it was a 5 par, you'd be a bogey.... :sick:

Being that tall you must have to check for bogeys more often as everyone looks up your nose.... just a thought....

David Bailey
7th-September-2006, 03:28 PM
I could have sworn mine was still 6 a couple of days ago (even after the upgrade) but my rep today only gave 5 points (sorry about that :flower: ).
Just do 8 more posts and you should be back up there... :)

Don't get me started on the last time the rep was re-set :tears: , I just hope that's not about to happen again...?
Rep re-set would be a Good Thing :yeah:

SilverFox
7th-September-2006, 03:30 PM
Hmmm... looks like it's now +1 rep power for every 500 rep points, not 250 - that fits all the posters on this thread I think.Doesn't fit me. :sad:

under par
7th-September-2006, 03:32 PM
But if it was a 5 par, you'd be a bogey.... :sick:

Being that tall you must have to check for bogeys more often as everyone looks up your nose.... just a thought....

Mr Polo..... thankyou for your eloquent comments on BOGEYS.:whistle: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How long before someone asks?

Sparkles
7th-September-2006, 03:34 PM
Rep re-set would be a Good Thing :yeah:

Please don't say that! Some how I seem to come out of it badly when we have a rep re-set.
Wish I'd never mentioned it now!

ducasi
7th-September-2006, 03:52 PM
I think the change has been in the "1 per year" area myself... Could be wrong... :)

David Bailey
7th-September-2006, 04:08 PM
Doesn't fit me. :sad:
Blimey, there's always one awkward beggar, isn't there :rolleyes:

Hell, I dunno, let's just assume it's random or something...

Beowulf
9th-September-2006, 10:28 AM
+1 point for posting more than 10 posts - +1
+1 point for every year you're a member - +3
+1 point for every 2,000 posts - +1
+1 point for every 500 rep points +1

ok.. that would make me 6 , but I'm still 5. I definately WAS 6 rep when I looked back at the "come celebrate" thread. just after I got 500 rep points My Rep power increased to 6 (briefly) and I commented on this at the time on that thread . However it then decreased again recently.

So something is wrong with the formula above, 5 or 6 it makes no difference really, my Rep score is still the same and it only affects the amount of rep other people get from me (doesn't it?)

ElaineB
9th-September-2006, 10:33 AM
Of course, it doesn't help when an idiot like me intends to plus rep someone and then hit's the wrong button and gives them neg rep! Sorry about that - trying to make amends.........:blush:

Elaine

straycat
9th-September-2006, 11:57 AM
Of course, it doesn't help when an idiot like me intends to plus rep someone and then hit's the wrong button and gives them neg rep! Sorry about that - trying to make amends.........:blush:

Elaine

I'd thought it was odd to be negrepped by someone who seemed to be agreeing with me... :what:

Don't worry about it :flower: it's the thought that counts :waycool:

stewart38
10th-September-2006, 10:15 PM
I cant seem to rep some people dont know why ?

quiet_flame
11th-September-2006, 07:25 AM
I cant seem to rep some people dont know why ?
have you repped them once recently?

Caro
11th-September-2006, 06:09 PM
just noticed my rep power is back to 1!!! I was so glad to be able to give my tiny 2 points rep!!! :tears: :tears: :tears:

Why are you being so mean Franck??? :sad: :tears:

straycat
11th-September-2006, 07:17 PM
just noticed my rep power is back to 1!!! I was so glad to be able to give my tiny 2 points rep!!! :tears: :tears: :tears:

Why are you being so mean Franck??? :sad: :tears:

Particularly as you seem to be one of the few who's rep total exceeds their post count. Shouldn't that proportion be part of the calculation?

Tessalicious
11th-September-2006, 07:24 PM
Since the formula for rep power has obviously changed from what it used to be (above), I'm guessing that Franck has rejigged it so that there are fewer people with the full 6 points, which will reduce the rep skewing that has been going on. It's a lot less mean, IMHO, than the total rep reset, which would be a shame for a lot of reasons.

But Franck - any chance of knowing what the new formula is?

David Bailey
11th-September-2006, 07:31 PM
But Franck - any chance of knowing what the new formula is?
Noooooooooooooo!

You'll spoil all the fun... :innocent:

ducasi
11th-September-2006, 07:52 PM
So who are still on 6? On this thread I notice DJ, UP, S38 & me. :) Elsewhere I saw that Lory still has the "The Power of Six"... :respect:

Who else? :flower:

TheTramp
11th-September-2006, 07:57 PM
Ummm. Me :whistle:

Tazmanian Devil
13th-September-2006, 06:23 PM

:yeah: I'm safe for now :what:

Lynn
14th-September-2006, 12:36 AM
So who are still on 6? On this thread I notice DJ, UP, S38 & me. :) Elsewhere I saw that Lory still has the "The Power of Six"... :respect:

Who else? :flower:Me. :flower:

WittyBird
14th-September-2006, 01:02 AM
:yeah: I'm safe for now :what:
:yeah: me too :phew:

Beowulf
14th-September-2006, 08:38 AM
ok.. here's an odd one.

I was at rep 6, I'm now at rep 5. Fair enough. I noticed SF above was on 990 rep points so keen to see what happens when he got to 1000 rep I though I'd rep him (for his bogey joke) and gice him 5 more points, making him 5 short of the 1000 mark.

well.. even though I'm rep 5.. he got 6 points of rep there :eek:

so it seems I'm only a rep 5 in name only ;)

Must rep more people to test this theory.. hmm. Witty is nearing 5000 rep. ok if I rep her she should go from 4,978 to 4,983

EDIT

curiouser and curiouser.. didn't say I needed to spread the rep around. definately gave WB some rep (in User CP it's green not) but her score hasn't increased.. most odd. Seems the rep system has gone gaga !!

see..

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 08:47 AM
ok.. here's an odd one.

I was at rep 6, I'm now at rep 5. Fair enough. I noticed SF above was on 990 rep points so keen to see what happens when he got to 1000 rep I though I'd rep him (for his bogey joke) and gice him 5 more points, making him 5 short of the 1000 mark.

Some forum areas are more "rep worthy" than others I think - e.g. if you rep someone for a "talk about dance" post, you get +1. The idea was to encourage people to, hah, discuss actual dancing occasionally.

Crazy notion :rolleyes:

ducasi
14th-September-2006, 08:52 AM
[...] Must rep more people to test this theory.. hmm. Witty is nearing 5000 rep. ok if I rep her she should go from 4,978 to 4,983

[...] definately gave WB some rep (in User CP it's green not) but her score hasn't increased.. [...]
Um, are you looking at the number of posts rather than rep? :rolleyes:

Beowulf
14th-September-2006, 08:54 AM
Um, are you looking at the number of posts rather than rep? :rolleyes:

cough.. ahem.. it's too early. :blush:

yes. i was, silly me.. (can I go home now for more sleep please?)

under par
14th-September-2006, 08:57 AM
cough.. ahem.. it's too early. :blush:

yes. i was, silly me.. (can I go home now for more sleep please?)
:D :D :D :D
Beo as I am the official non geek on here please don't worry yourself take a few deep breaths and then carry on posting it works for me!:yeah: :cheers: pretend it never happened:innocent:

Beowulf
14th-September-2006, 09:29 AM
Well awake or Not. SF has now gone past the 1000 rep mark.. (:clap:) so it can't be +1 rep for every 500 rep points either or he would have went from rep Power 4 to 5?

hmm the formula escapes me...

Stuart M
14th-September-2006, 09:33 AM
Some forum areas are more "rep worthy" than others I think - e.g. if you rep someone for a "talk about dance" post, you get +1. The idea was to encourage people to, hah, discuss actual dancing occasionally.

Crazy notion :rolleyes:
If that's the case and it's a new feature then it's a good solution to something I'd asked for a few weeks back (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=263058). Though maybe it should be more than a +1.

Or maybe it's been around a while and I didn't notice.

And today, I will be mostly campaigning for the return of "New Posts in Outside don't get flagged up in a New Posts search". That little quirk stopped rubberneckers, "Arrgghhh! Shut up! SHUT UP!" rants, and Last Word Duels.

In between concocting a suitably spellbinding 1000th post.

Sparkles
14th-September-2006, 10:03 AM

Well, mine says 5 and gives 5, so at least I'm consistant there :D

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 10:44 AM
If that's the case and it's a new feature then it's a good solution to something I'd asked for a few weeks back (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=263058). Though maybe it should be more than a +1.

Or maybe it's been around a while and I didn't notice.
I think it's been around a while now - but I agree it should be more than +1.

Actually, I'd suggest the following scheme:

+2 for "Ceroc / dance technical discussions"
-1 for "Chit Chat"
-1 for "Social events"
-2 for "Fun and Games"
-4 for "Take it outside"

But of course that just reflects my biases (I'd also have "-250 for 'who's going where' polls" :) )

By all means, let's have some proper incentives and dis-incentives, but this "-1" thing doesn't do much...

Lynn
14th-September-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm losing my power...I feel faint...

Actually I think I just need a cup of coffee!

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm losing my power...I feel faint...

Actually I think I just need a cup of coffee!

Looks like 4 is the upper limit now... :confused:

Sparkles
14th-September-2006, 12:10 PM
and my rep power is now half of what it was a couple of weeks ago :tears:

foxylady
14th-September-2006, 12:18 PM
Mine too ! :tears:

azande
14th-September-2006, 12:22 PM
Mine is gone down to a third... it would be nice to know why though!

TheTramp
14th-September-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, presumably to stop people getting such high rep scores.

Of course, unless the new rep point levels can be applied retrospectively to all the rep previously given, it (IMHO) makes the rep system even more worthless that it was previously (or the rep system reset with the new power system!).

As those with a high score will still have their scores, and future awards of rep will not be worth as much. So people posting rep-worthy comments will now not climb the ladder to catch up with the people ahead of them.

Good job that no-one actually takes the rep system to actually be worth anything, right? :D

azande
14th-September-2006, 12:35 PM
Well, presumably to stop people getting such high rep scores.

Of course, unless the new rep point levels can be applied retrospectively to all the rep previously given, it (IMHO) makes the rep system even more worthless that it was previously (or the rep system reset with the new power system!).

As those with a high score will still have their scores, and future awards of rep will not be worth as much. So people posting rep-worthy comments will now not climb the ladder to catch up with the people ahead of them.

Good job that no-one actually takes the rep system to actually be worth anything, right? :D
Maybe we should have a post reset as well...

under par
14th-September-2006, 12:39 PM

Sorry to quote myself.....now I'm a 5 !

Should I have kept my mouth shut :whistle: :whistle: :whistle::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TheTramp
14th-September-2006, 12:39 PM
Maybe we should have a post reset as well...

Absolutely. I think I'd be way down the list now. Good job I got a good head-start on the people just below me in the list!! :D

Beowulf
14th-September-2006, 01:25 PM
ok.. mine is now down to 2 !!

:(

note to self.. don't complain.. it'll just get lower :tears:

Caro
14th-September-2006, 01:34 PM
what's happening??? :confused:

Hope mine can't get any lower (or can it? :eek: ) :tears:

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 02:09 PM
Sorry to quote myself.....now I'm a 5
Hmmm... I think Under Par Is Number 1!

All hail UP :worthy:

(quick, rep me know with your superpower!)

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 02:11 PM
Absolutely. I think I'd be way down the list now. Good job I got a good head-start on the people just below me in the list!! :D
Less than 2,000 to go... :whistle:

Sparkles
14th-September-2006, 02:11 PM
Hmmm... I think Under Par Is Number 1!

Moderators still give 10, I think...

TheTramp
14th-September-2006, 02:12 PM
Less than 2,000 to go... :whistle:

Yeah. I know. I'm scared!! Maybe if I break your fingers.... :whistle:

TheTramp
14th-September-2006, 02:13 PM

Uh huh. Vastly over-rated! :rolleyes:

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah. I know. I'm scared!! Maybe if I break your fingers.... :whistle:
Well you could always...

... Post a lot...

... of short posts :)

TheTramp
14th-September-2006, 02:27 PM
Well you could always...

... Post a lot...

... of short posts :)

Nah..

straycat
14th-September-2006, 03:05 PM
what's happening??? :confused:

Hope mine can't get any lower (or can it? :eek: ) :tears:

Heh. A negative rep power could be pretty amusing... people lose rep because you liked their posts :devil:

David Bailey
14th-September-2006, 03:16 PM
Heh. A negative rep power could be pretty amusing... people lose rep because you liked their posts :devil:
We had a couple of people with negative rep, didn't we - don't think their power went below zero though, no doubt for that very reason of course :)

Lory
14th-September-2006, 07:46 PM

Uh huh. Vastly over-rated! :rolleyes:

Yep, I think I must of been :blush:

TheTramp
14th-September-2006, 07:49 PM
Yep, I think I must of been :blush:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean you. Just the others! :flower:

Lynn
14th-September-2006, 10:21 PM
Good job that no-one actually takes the rep system to actually be worth anything, right? :DI looked at my points total mainly to see if it had gone up (or down I suppose, though it never did that til this week) to see if anyone had repped me - because I wanted to know who, for what post, and read any comments. Don't need to do that now it tells me if and how many new rep comments I have.

So the total points don't really matter and whether someone has repped me with 1 or 5 points doesn't really matter either. Its the fact that they've hit the rep button to share a comment about something I've posted, that's what I like about the rep system.

Little Monkey
15th-September-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm very confused.....

In the last week or so, my rep has gone from 5 to 3 to 4 back down to 3 again.... Please Franck, can you explain what you're doing?? :confused:

Piglet
15th-September-2006, 11:37 PM
What a hoot this thread has been! :rofl:

Especially as I just noticed my rep power decrease - I can now wipe my brow with a phew cos I'm not alone.

Group hug anyone? :hug:

David Bailey
16th-September-2006, 09:58 PM
Group hug anyone? :hug:
Sounds good to me.

I give up, I just can't figure out the new formula.

It's definitely "0 power if you have less than 10 posts"
It's definitely "+1 power if you have 10 or more posts"
It also seems* to be "+1 power for every 2 years membership"
And there's some sort of relationship between "every X posts" and "every Y rep" - for pretty large values of X and Y - but I can't figure out what that relationship is**

* As people who've been members for 4 years, but not posted much, have power 3.
** As nothing seems to explain Under Par ( :na: )...

Piglet
17th-September-2006, 05:53 AM
And there's some sort of relationship between "every X posts" and "every Y rep" - for pretty large values of X and Y - but I can't figure out what that relationship is**

Surely the extra point/s is to show how much Franck loves us? :D

Franck you wanna do some combs this coming weekend?:yum:

Beowulf
18th-September-2006, 08:53 AM
what I can't figure out .. is the relationship between Rep power and green boxes. I have 6

(and what the difference is .. if any.. between light and dark green boxes?)

El Salsero Gringo
18th-September-2006, 08:55 AM
what I can't figure out .. is the relationship between Rep power and green boxes. I have 6

(and what the difference is .. if any.. between light and dark green boxes?)The green boxes are an indicator of your rep - not your rep power. You start with one dark green, they increase to five, then the following ones are light green. I don't know if there's a third colour - if there is, no one has enough rep to have earnt one.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
20th-September-2006, 10:45 PM
And I worked so hard for my second rep point :tears:

Icey
23rd-September-2006, 05:29 PM
:tears: My rep power has dropped to 1 it used to be 3 - what's happened? Has DJ finally triumphed on the rep reset thingie? Or was that to re-set the rep count?

David Bailey
23rd-September-2006, 09:57 PM
:tears: My rep power has dropped to 1 it used to be 3 - what's happened? Has DJ finally triumphed on the rep reset thingie? Or was that to re-set the rep count?
I was thinking about this whole area over the past few days, and I think the "power-down" is a good thing - it slows down the whole rep inflation thing.

However, it's unfair to those new starters, who didn't get their hyper-inflated scores based on the old system.

So yes, I still think a rep reset / deflation would be useful. Something like "current score / 10" would seem about right to me.

El Salsero Gringo
24th-September-2006, 01:22 AM
Something like "current score / 10" would seem about right to me.That would be exactly the same as leaving the rep where it is and giving everyone 10 times the power.

ducasi
24th-September-2006, 04:17 AM
I think a better idea would be reducing everyone's rep to no more than 100. Those below don't lose out, those above get a rep of 100.

straycat
25th-September-2006, 01:04 PM

Seems to me, it's a bit like the Ultimate Question / Ultimate Answer problem in HitchHikers Guide.

If anyone can figure out the new formula, and get it completely right, it will vanish, and be replaced by a different, even-harder-to-explain forumula.

It's not Franck's doing - it's a Forum Feature (TM) :cool:

David Bailey
25th-September-2006, 01:21 PM
That would be exactly the same as leaving the rep where it is and giving everyone 10 times the power.
You could say that about any deflation exercise, but it still happens. It's a question of perception, not of mathematical relationships.

Technically, the best way to re-calculate rep scores would be to recalculate everyone's scores, using the new rep levels for people for the rep they've received in the past - "backdating the rep level changes", basically. Which would probably reduce most rep levels by at least 50%.

But it'd be a nightmare to implement I imagine.

Seems to me, it's a bit like the Ultimate Question / Ultimate Answer problem in HitchHikers Guide.
I think you're right. I just noticed CeeCee has power 2, and that's kicked my attempt at a formula into the bin again. :(

Sparkles
25th-September-2006, 01:30 PM
I think a better idea would be reducing everyone's rep to no more than 100. Those below don't lose out, those above get a rep of 100.

If rep has to be reduced (which I can understand it might as it does seem to get out of control periodically) it would be nice :nice: if it could be reduced *in proportion* with what you already have ie. everyone's rep is (for example) halved (unless that takes you below 10 points and then you go back to the 10 you had originally). The last rep re-set wasn't good in this respect... :(

Tazmanian Devil
25th-September-2006, 03:23 PM
Sounds good to me.

It's definitely "0 power if you have less than 10 posts"
It's definitely "+1 power if you have 10 or more posts"
It also seems* to be "+1 power for every 2 years membership"

* As people who've been members for 4 years, but not posted much, have power 3.
** As nothing seems to explain Under Par ( :na: )...

Don't know if this helps your workings but I have just hit 4000 posts and my rep power went up to 4 :clap:

ducasi
25th-September-2006, 03:33 PM
Don't know if this helps your workings but I have just hit 4000 posts and my rep power went up to 4 :clap:
And my rep power has just dropped to 3 (oh, and I lost a rep point too.)

Congratulations on 4,000 posts though Taz! :hug:

David Franklin
25th-September-2006, 04:03 PM
And my rep power has just dropped to 3 (oh, and I lost a rep point too.)Look guys - haven't you worked it out yet? Everytime someone figures out how the Rep Power works, Franck changes it. And in case you haven't noticed, those changes are generally in only one direction!

For the love of humanity, stop the speculation while we still have some power left!

TheTramp
25th-September-2006, 04:34 PM
If rep has to be reduced (which I can understand it might as it does seem to get out of control periodically) it would be nice :nice: if it could be reduced *in proportion* with what you already have ie. everyone's rep is (for example) halved (unless that takes you below 10 points and then you go back to the 10 you had originally). The last rep re-set wasn't good in this respect... :(

I think that rep should be reset back to 10 for everyone on a 6 monthly basis, to reflect who is falling out with who, and hence, not being repped by their friends. And also to give people new to the forum a chance to be on the top of the tree periodically.

After all, while it's always nice to receive positive comments, the actual rep score isn't worth anything... :whistle:

straycat
25th-September-2006, 05:13 PM
Maybe it could be done on a basis that there's a limited amount of rep to go around. So when someone gets rep awarded, it has to come off someone else's score...

Rep power could work the same way, so we're all competing for it.

Negrep would, of course, not work that way, so every time negrep was given, the total rep pool would be reduced.

And, of course, just to promote peace and harmony, every time rep or rep power changed hands, silver members would be able to see who it was taken from, as well as who it was given to.

Now - wouldn't that make life interesting? :whistle:

David Bailey
25th-September-2006, 05:41 PM

Yes, I figured it was something like every 2K posts...

Look guys - haven't you worked it out yet? Everytime someone figures out how the Rep Power works, Franck changes it. And in case you haven't noticed, those changes are generally in only one direction!
Really? I hadn't noticed... :innocent:

For the love of humanity, stop the speculation while we still have some power left!
Slight problem on the asiomatic assumption of my motivation I reckon :na:

Go Franck Go!! :clap:

TheTramp
3rd-October-2006, 03:17 PM
Yes, I figured it was something like every 2K posts...

Looks like. I just went back up to 4 points when I hit 8000 posts...

fletch
3rd-October-2006, 03:24 PM
Looks like. I just went back up to 4 points when I hit 8000 posts...

why have I only got 1 :confused:

is it beacuse i'm naughty:na:

TheTramp
3rd-October-2006, 03:27 PM
why have I only got 1 :confused:

is it beacuse i'm naughty:na:

Probably! :respect:

I'd say that it's not just the number of posts you have, but other factors too (your own rep score, and it always used to be related to the length of time you've been on the forum as well).

fletch
3rd-October-2006, 03:49 PM
Probably! :respect:

I'd say that it's not just the number of posts you have, but other factors too (your own rep score, and it always used to be related to the length of time you've been on the forum as well).

2472 posts
1036 rep

over 12 months in

and droped to 1 power point ???

i'm the same as a newbie :what:

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 04:50 PM
I think we may have to look a bit wider here. As far as I can make out my rep power is my age divided by my shoe size (losing the remainder) minus the number of kids I've got.

Based on this premise the sooner I klonk one of the little buggers on the head the sooner my rep power will increase.

Just off to fetch a piece of 2x4, I'll let you know if it works.....

Cruella
3rd-October-2006, 05:04 PM
I reckon you get a bonus rep point if you live in Scotland. :whistle:

ducasi
3rd-October-2006, 05:12 PM
One point for posting more than 10 posts....

One point for every 4,000 posts...

One point for every 2,000 rep points...

One point for every 3 years a member...

Does that work?

Oh, and congrats to DavidJames for just hitting 6,000 posts! :respect:

Does that mean you're going to disappear again for a few months? :D

fletch
3rd-October-2006, 05:16 PM

Does that work?

Oh, and congrats to DavidJames for just hitting 6,000 posts! :respect:

Does that mean you're going to disappear again for a few months? :D

So ducasi am I still a newbie ?:confused:

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 05:17 PM
I reckon you get a bonus rep point if you live in Scotland. :whistle:

OK, just as long as you get one for living in a detatched house as well :)

fletch
3rd-October-2006, 05:20 PM
OK, just as long as you get one for living in a detatched house as well :)

NO, i'v got one of them and i'm STILL 1 power piont

Tessalicious
3rd-October-2006, 05:21 PM

Does that work?Nope...

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 05:24 PM
NO, i'v got one of them and i'm STILL 1 power piont

Yes but don't forget your minus 2 for having two kids ;)

fletch
3rd-October-2006, 05:26 PM
Yes but don't forget your minus 2

and I thought I had 2 :wink:

:na:

ducasi
3rd-October-2006, 05:47 PM
So ducasi am I still a newbie ?:confused:
I wouldn't have thought so! :flower:

ducasi
3rd-October-2006, 05:48 PM
Nope...
OK, make that one rep power for every 1,200 rep points you have...

How about that?

fletch
3rd-October-2006, 05:56 PM
OK, make that one rep power for every 1,200 rep points you have...

How about that?

so I don't need that many more rep points to get another power point :rolleyes:

:wink: :whistle:

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 06:00 PM

Does that work?

OK, OK, so it doesn't work for everyone. I'll do a statistical analysis by taking a sample of people and correllate the rep points, posts and years membership to rep power which should tell us if there's a simple formula or not.

Be back later...........

fletch
3rd-October-2006, 06:03 PM
OK, OK, so it doesn't work for everyone. I'll do a statistical analysis by taking a sample of people and correllate the rep points, posts and years membership to rep power which should tell us if there's a simple formula or not.

Be back later...........

can you use me as an example cos I am blond :na: and I properly won't be able to follow the key,:blush: back after sorting my ladies out :flower:

Dynamo
3rd-October-2006, 06:16 PM
can you use me as an example cos I am blond :na: and I properly won't be able to follow the key,:blush: back after sorting my ladies out :flower:

You follow everything i lead :grin: , when not improvising that is :D :devil: so sure u can follow the key :flower:

Is there anything like;
number of posts per day
or ratio of reputation points to posts made

that also gives rep??

Gojive
3rd-October-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm wondering if it's some kind of age drop out thing....and something similar with the rep system too! :yum:

What I'm getting at (badly I know), is maybe points are tied to something that fades out over time....in other words, old rep points count for nothing (how old I don't know of course), or maybe old posts count for nothing?...or maybe both?

Am I making sense? :blush:

Dynamo
3rd-October-2006, 06:56 PM
I'm wondering if it's some kind of age drop out thing....and something similar with the rep system too! :yum:

What I'm getting at (badly I know), is maybe points are tied to something that fades out over time....in other words, old rep points count for nothing (how old I don't know of course), or maybe old posts count for nothing?...or maybe both?

Am I making sense? :blush:

Not so crazy, seem to think there is something on ratio of posts to rep received, so people who average better rep are able to return better rep in return, but i might be loosing it to :rofl:

can someone help us

ducasi
3rd-October-2006, 07:00 PM
You follow everything i lead :grin: , when not improvising that is :D :devil: so sure u can follow the key :flower:

Is there anything like;
number of posts per day
or ratio of reputation points to posts made

that also gives rep??
As far as I'm aware, time on forum, number of posts and rep are the only variables that are used in deciding rep power (though admins get 10.)

My guesses are still not right – I think I might be wrong with the "one point of power per 3 years", but I think it's that sort of ball-park...

If you want to work it out methodically, it's important to note that the forum counts membership in days, not years, so it could be a value like "750 days."

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 07:21 PM
Could someone give Under Par another 12 rep points, I want to see what happens when he gets to 2,000 :D

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 08:49 PM
OK folks, we have an answer! :clap:

The magic formula is:

1 rep power point for posting more than 10 posts :)

1 rep power point for every 4,000 posts :)

1 rep power point for every 1,250 reputation total :)

1 rep power point for every 2 years on the forum :)

I set up a spread sheet and analysed 54 profiles, all of which conformed to this model.

I confidently predict the following: Stuart38 is currently on 3,852 posts and has rep power 2, once he reaches 4,000 posts his rep power will increase to 3.

Go Stuart38!

So Fletch, only 1,500 more posts to get your next rep power point......... :sick: :hug:

ps If this model doesn't fit your profile, let me know. :tears:

Gojive
3rd-October-2006, 09:15 PM

The magic formula is:

I set up a spread sheet and analysed 54 profiles, all of which conformed to this model.

I confidently predict the following: Stuart38 is currently on 3,852 posts and has rep power 2, once he reaches 4,000 posts his rep power will increase to 3.

Go Stuart38!

So Fletch, only 1,500 more posts to get your next rep power point......... :sick: :hug:

ps If this model doesn't fit your profile, let me know. :tears:

Blimey! If that's true (which I'm not doubting btw), then I'm stuck on RP 2 until at least Aug 2008 :really: ....I feel so inadequate now :tears: :yum:

fletch
3rd-October-2006, 10:22 PM

Go Stuart38!

:

Flipin heck best get on TPBM thread a bit more :whistle:

and what you gone and done S38 for:rolleyes: we will have to suffer another 248 of his posts now :wink:

only joking you know I love you S38 :D I missed you more than you missed me :love:

Blimey! If that's true (which I'm not doubting btw), then I'm stuck on RP 2 until at least Aug 2008 :really: ....I feel so inadequate now :tears: :yum:

No we just need to rep each other at every oppertunity :wink:

we could become rep tarts,:waycool: and there are a few on here :D

or we could give in and gracefully and disappear never to be heard of again :eek:

don't get carried away everyone I wasn't serious :rolleyes: :na:

Lynn
3rd-October-2006, 10:24 PM
or we could give in and gracefully and disappear never to be heard of again :eek:

don't get carried away everyone I wasn't serious :rolleyes: :na:Hope not, the place wouldn't be the same without you! :hug:

fletch
3rd-October-2006, 10:25 PM
Hope not, the place wouldn't be the same without you! :hug:

Thank you babes :flower:

see you the weekend, i'll make sure you get a dance with BARMPOT :wink:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ducasi
3rd-October-2006, 11:27 PM

The magic formula is:

Ooh! I was close!

Thanks for doing this Blueshoes! :respect:

So, just need to wait until February to get my 4th point... :nice: (Little chance of getting it through extra rep – no-one's got enough rep power to make rep-tarting worth the bother! :yum:)

(Oh, except Franck and Sheena! :respect: :worthy: :flower: :cheers:)

ducasi
4th-October-2006, 12:41 AM
(Oh, except Franck and Sheena! :respect: :worthy: :flower: :cheers:)
Thanks Franck! :worthy: :cheers: :wink:

Oh, and Sheena, I've gotta say... I *really* enjoyed dancing with you tonight, and I thought you played a fab set! I didn't want the night to finish! :respect: :flower: :wink:

WittyBird
4th-October-2006, 12:47 AM
{snip yak yak}

What did you analyse to get this info?
Good info btw! Just curious who's stats you took :D

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 01:49 AM
and what you gone and done S38 for:rolleyes: we will have to suffer another 248 of his posts now :wink:

Ummm. It was actually only 148 posts to suffer. Which is much better! :na:

Of course, you have 3973 (currently) of mine to suffer. Something to look forward to! :flower:

Oooh. And that means I'll be on 5 rep points in just over a month :yum:

David Bailey
4th-October-2006, 07:56 AM
Of course, you have 3973 (currently) of mine to suffer. Something to look forward to! :flower:

Oooh. And that means I'll be on 5 rep points in just over a month :yum:
On first reading, I thought that meant you were planning on posting 3973 new posts in a month :rofl:

And what do you bet that Franck changes the rules again before then? :devil:

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 08:15 AM
On first reading, I thought that meant you were planning on posting 3973 new posts in a month :rofl:

And what do you bet that Franck changes the rules again before then? :devil:

Well. Just trying to keep up with you!! :devil:

But no, you're right, I meant that it'll be 4 years since I joined the forum next month! Doesn't time fly when you're having fun! :flower:

Beowulf
4th-October-2006, 08:33 AM

:respect: :clap: :respect:

That seems to fit my stats.

So 10 months from now I should automatically go to Rep 3.. assuming I don't get 1284 more posts and/or 506 rep points before then of course :whistle:

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 08:47 AM
:respect: :clap: :respect:

That seems to fit my stats.

So 10 months from now I should automatically go to Rep 3.. assuming I don't get 1284 more posts and/or 506 rep points before then of course :whistle:

You could try for all 3!!

I'll rep you the next time you come to class on a Tuesday! :whistle:

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 08:59 AM
What did you analyse to get this info?
Good info btw! Just curious who's stats you took :D

I took a random selection of forumites that I found on posts, ranging from heavy users to people who hadn't posted much (just to let you know, you were the third one I stumbled over, and had the highest rep total I found!). Other profiles included well known names such as The Tramp (only one I could find with over 8,000 posts), Lynn, Tasmanian Devil, DavidJames etc. Then I checked the members list to find lighter users who'd been members for a while to find the weighting for length of time as members.

Interesting profiles included Gus with 3,668 posts and three rep power points (the extra two came from the four years on the forum), Fletch with 2,486 posts and rep total 1,036 and only one rep power point, hers was difficult to fit into the model when compared to David Franklin who had less posts, only slightly more rep total but three more rep power points (two from years on the forum and one from 1,250 rep total).

Then I set up a spread sheet and entered all the data for 54 forumites, set up a calculation and compared the predicted results against the actual ones. To determine the calculation firstly I concentrated on the distinction between one rep power point and two and worked out the length of membership rating, once I'd found that the rest of it started falling into place. Two or three iterations later I had a model that fitted every profile.

That's what you get for many years of statistical analysis and systems experience (makes a pleasant change from trying to work out business flow models :sick: ). I feel like a real geek after my long winded explaination! :love:

Beowulf
4th-October-2006, 09:03 AM
You could try for all 3!!

I'll rep you the next time you come to class on a Tuesday! :whistle:

:rofl: :blush:

I would have been there last night but have £1.96 in my pocket and some loose change in the bank. I don't get paid until Friday.. however I MAY be going to the Party at the weekend.. forget where it is though :confused: all depends on transport.

but I'll never become a Rep-Wh*re :) :innocent:

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 09:07 AM
however I MAY be going to the Party at the weekend.. forget where it is though :confused: all depends on transport.

It's at the Bonar Hall on the Saturay night. Then there's the t-dance in the Invercarse Hotel on the Sunday afternoon. Gadget said that he may come to that, so you might have a lift there....

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 09:14 AM

In two years time (assuming I've made another 3,895 posts and if enough kind people - grovel - like what I write enough to rep me another 1,209 times) I should be on rep 3.

And you thought you had problems. :)

Franck
4th-October-2006, 09:15 AM
And what do you bet that Franck changes the rules again before then? :devil:Well, I was thinking of changing it again, as I'm still considering the impact of rep inflation and how 'rep power' affects it before I re-set all the reps to nothing :eek:

I took a random selection of forumites that I found on posts, ranging from heavy users to people who hadn't posted much (just to let you know, you were the third one I stumbled over, and had the highest rep total I found!). Other profiles included well known names such as The Tramp (only one I could find with over 8,000 posts), Lynn, Tasmanian Devil, DavidJames etc. Then I checked the members list to find lighter users who'd been members for a while to find the weighting for length of time as members.

Interesting profiles included Gus with 3,668 posts and three rep power points (the extra two came from the four years on the forum), Fletch with 2,486 posts and rep total 1,036 and only one rep power point, hers was difficult to fit into the model when compared to David Franklin who had less posts, only slightly more rep total but three more rep power points (two from years on the forum and one from 1,250 rep total).

Then I set up a spread sheet and entered all the data for 54 forumites, set up a calculation and compared the predicted results against the actual ones. To determine the calculation firstly I concentrated on the distinction between one rep power point and two and worked out the length of membership rating, once I'd found that the rest of it started falling into place. Two or three iterations later I had a model that fitted every profile.

That's what you get for many years of statistical analysis and systems experience (makes a pleasant change from trying to work out business flow models :sick: ). I feel like a real geek after my long winded explaination! :love:... then I read all this and didn't have the heart :respect:

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, I was thinking of changing it again, as I'm still considering the impact of rep inflation and how 'rep power' affects it before I re-set all the reps to nothing :eek:
... then I read all this and didn't have the heart :respect:

Thank you Franck, it means a lot to me.......... :cheers:

By the way yours was the only profile that doesn't fit the model, you should reduce your rep power to 3 forthwith......
:grin:

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 09:32 AM
Well, I was thinking of changing it again, as I'm still considering the impact of rep inflation and how 'rep power' affects it before I re-set all the reps to nothing :eek:

Isn't the biggest impact of rep inflation and rep power the people who have 10 points to dish out?? :yum:

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 09:36 AM
Isn't the biggest impact of rep inflation and rep power the people who have 10 points to dish out?? :yum:

Hey, careful what you're saying - I only have Rep 1 to lose, you have 4......;)

David Bailey
4th-October-2006, 09:38 AM
Go on, you know you want to really. :devil:

... then I read all this and didn't have the heart :respect:
But you have to now, because we understand it. That's the Law.

Plus, it's more fun to try to work it out...

I recommend changing the "1 point every 2 years" rule to "1 point every 3 years", on Oct 31 BTW :)

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 09:39 AM
Hey, careful what you're saying - I only have Rep 1 to lose, you have 4......;)

Ah. It's being reset. Who cares* :D

*Actually, I really don't care about the actual rep score at all. The comments are nice (well, when they're nice!). But the points mean nothing...

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 09:49 AM
Actually, I really don't care about the actual rep score at all. The comments are nice (well, when they're nice!). But the points mean nothing...

That's easy for you to say, you've got loads of them :)

fletch
4th-October-2006, 09:54 AM

Blueshoes your on 69 rep pionts :wink:

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 10:16 AM

Fine. Have all of mine. :whistle:

fletch
4th-October-2006, 10:18 AM
Fine. Have all of mine. :whistle:

and you knew I wan'ted them :mad:

'stamps her feet and walks off in huff'

:wink:

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 10:19 AM
Okie. Half each to Blueshoes and fletch then! :hug:

fletch
4th-October-2006, 10:22 AM
Okie. Half each to Blueshoes and fletch then! :hug:

thank you :flower:

wheres my rep :wink:

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey, I've not been on the forum for long and am still excited about my reputation. It's different when you're old and experienced like TheTramp here. :whistle:

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 10:29 AM
Hey, I've not been on the forum for long and am still excited about my reputation. It's different when you're old and experienced like TheTramp here. :whistle:

Hey. Less of the 'old' please! :tears:

fletch
4th-October-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey, I've not been on the forum for long and am still excited about my reputation.

:whistle:

I lost mine long ago :whistle:

:D

Beowulf
4th-October-2006, 01:24 PM
*Actually, I really don't care about the actual rep score at all. The comments are nice (well, when they're nice!). But the points mean nothing...

:yeah: :worthy: :respect: :clap:

Just what I think as well !!

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 02:31 PM
Anone know why I can't give reps at the moment? Can you only give so many in a given period of time?
:sad:

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah. You can only give so many reps in 24 hours. Along with no being able to rep the same person until you've repped 10(?) other people inbetween.

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah. You can only give so many reps in 24 hours. Along with no being able to rep the same person until you've repped 10(?) other people inbetween.

Oh no, I'm not working this one out..... :what:

Tazmanian Devil
4th-October-2006, 03:25 PM

Unless this also has changed with the up grade it's 5 people :flower:

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 03:38 PM

Fair enough. That's why I put in the ?. I wasn't quite sure...

Didn't it used to be 10 at some point though. Or am I imagining things?

Tazmanian Devil
4th-October-2006, 03:41 PM

Dunno :confused:

Although you are probably imagining things :devil:

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 03:42 PM
It's the drugs. They make me take them. I tell them I'm cured.... :tears:

Tazmanian Devil
4th-October-2006, 03:46 PM
It's the drugs. They make me take them. I tell them I'm cured.... :tears:

Your obviously taking the wrong ones :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

David Bailey
4th-October-2006, 03:46 PM
Fair enough. That's why I put in the ?. I wasn't quite sure...

10 people per day, and 6 different people before you can re-rep someone. Or something like that...

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 04:53 PM
Just tried but it won't let me rep myself. Damn.

fletch
4th-October-2006, 04:59 PM
Just tried but it won't let me rep myself. Damn.

self gratification is not allowed on this forum :devil:

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 06:20 PM
self gratification is not allowed on this forum :devil:

Damn damn damn :(

Juju
4th-October-2006, 10:29 PM

:yeah: I was beginning to think it was like The Emperor's New Clothes.

I never notice a poster's rep score anyway. I think most people, like me, are more concerned with who's doing the posting; I look for the name, and if I value that person's opinion, or at least find them amusing, then I'm more likely to pay attention to what they say. Simple really.

Juju
4th-October-2006, 10:33 PM
10 people per day, and 6 different people before you can re-rep someone. Or something like that...

Ah, 'spreading it around'... now I get it. :wink:

Tazmanian Devil
4th-October-2006, 10:40 PM
I look for the name, and if I value that person's opinion, or at least find them amusing, then I'm more likely to pay attention to what they say. Simple really.

You don't read my posts then :tears: :tears: :tears:

Juju
4th-October-2006, 10:48 PM

Did I say that?

Now dry your eyes and show me what a sensible girl you can be.

ducasi
4th-October-2006, 10:49 PM
:yeah:

I just read the ones with pretty avatars. :D

Juju
4th-October-2006, 10:49 PM
Did I say that?

Sorry. Been teaching littl'uns today. :D

TheTramp
4th-October-2006, 11:02 PM

I can hold him down while you beat him if you like Taz :whistle:

Tazmanian Devil
4th-October-2006, 11:40 PM
Did I say that?

:sad: :tears:

I can hold him down while you beat him if you like Taz :whistle:

:yeah: Ok then but i will tickle him instead as I know it is his torture :devil:

ducasi
4th-October-2006, 11:47 PM
:sad: :tears:
I'm just kidding! Yours is a pretty avatar! :hug:

Tazmanian Devil
5th-October-2006, 12:10 AM
I'm just kidding! Yours is a pretty avatar! :hug:

Thanks babes :hug:

(but I know you are just saying that cause I threatend to tickle you) :yum:

Blueshoes
5th-October-2006, 12:25 AM

Just done some more checking, pretty sure it's 8 now :)

ducasi
5th-October-2006, 07:27 AM
(but I know you are just saying that cause I threatend to tickle you) :yum:

:yum:

Juju
7th-October-2006, 11:44 PM
I like to get the nice comments that come with rep, but I've just realised that the earliest ones have vanished off my list!

Miffed now.... :( :sad: :tears:

fletch
9th-October-2006, 09:58 PM
I like to get the nice comments that come with rep, but I've just realised that the earliest ones have vanished off my list!

Miffed now.... :( :sad: :tears:

i'm proberbly glad my early ones wen't before I even new anything about rep. so I hadn't looked at the comment :blush:

You can get neg rep as well as poss rep :na:

Beowulf
29th-May-2007, 10:01 AM

The magic formula is:

I was curious and wanted to check if this was still the case, I also wanted to check out the formula behind the green "dots" to the left

according to my goggling it's as follows

One green dot (http://images.vbulletin.com/images_vb3/reputation/reputation_pos.gif) is given for every started 100 reputation points.
From 500 points on, one bright green dot (http://images.vbulletin.com/images_vb3/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif) is given for every started 200 reputation points.
One red dot (http://images.vbulletin.com/images_vb3/reputation/reputation_neg.gif) is given for every started 100 negative reputation points.
From 500 negative points on, one bright red dot (http://images.vbulletin.com/images_vb3/reputation/reputation_highneg.gif) is given for every started 200 negative reputation points
If a user has 0 reputation points, a gray dot (http://images.vbulletin.com/images_vb3/reputation/reputation_balance.gif) is displayed.
If a user has chosen to turn off reputation in his UserCP, a black dot (http://images.vbulletin.com/images_vb3/reputation/reputation_off.gif) is displayed.

don't know if all this applies to this forum though!

Dreadful Scathe
29th-May-2007, 10:30 AM
I was curious and wanted to check if this was still the case

looks like it -

If the magic formula was:
1 rep power point for posting more than 10 posts
1 rep power point for every 4,000 posts
1 rep power point for every 1,250 reputation total
1 rep power point for every 2 years on the forum

..I would have

1 for more than 10 posts
1 for 4,000 posts
1 for 1,250 reputation
2 for 2 full years on forum

= 5

which is what i actually have, so it may be right :)

Beowulf
29th-May-2007, 10:54 AM
I wonder if the green dot / red dot thing is correct. It seems to be ok with my green dots, but I've never seen anyone with any red dots.

What would be good if you could see totals of both. Someone with +rep would obviously have more green than red but someone with 10 Green dots and no Red dots would PERHAPS be a better poster than someone with 10 green dots and 5 dots.

Dreadful Scathe
29th-May-2007, 11:51 AM
I wonder if the green dot / red dot thing is correct. It seems to be ok with my green dots, but I've never seen anyone with any red dots.

What would be good if you could see totals of both. Someone with +rep would obviously have more green than red but someone with 10 Green dots and no Red dots would PERHAPS be a better poster than someone with 10 green dots and 5 dots.
You're assuming PERHAPS that anyone gives a toss ;)

ducasi
29th-May-2007, 12:07 PM
I wonder if the green dot / red dot thing is correct. It seems to be ok with my green dots, but I've never seen anyone with any red dots. Look here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/members/list/?order=asc&sort=reputation) – five people with negative rep and a wee red spot...

Beowulf
29th-May-2007, 12:08 PM
You're assuming PERHAPS that anyone gives a toss ;)

there's always one anally retentive geek with a penchant for pointless statistics around :whistle:

(did you know the millionth digit of Pi is 1?)