PDA

View Full Version : Tried Roleplaying?

killingtime
4th-September-2006, 01:19 PM
Inspired by this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9448)and my own curiosity how many people here have played roleplaying games (I might get to card, board and computer games later)?

Cruella
4th-September-2006, 01:26 PM
Nothing wrong with a bit of roleplay! :wink: :whistle:

WittyBird
4th-September-2006, 01:28 PM
Nothing wrong with a bit of roleplay! :wink: :whistle:

Great minds.......

I find the dressing up fun :innocent:

Beowulf
4th-September-2006, 01:40 PM
This may sound a bit like a pot calling the kettle black. Yes I did play RPG's And stopped for years and years. then late last year myself and a few likeminded individuals got together for a laugh and a few games and that was fun. We've since stopped again.. we've had our fun and that's that.

What puts me off roleplaying is the number of people who take it too seriously and it's all they talk about. i recall a tale from my Uni days when I asked a friend "How was your weekend?" to which I got an excited reply of something along the lines of "F**king awesome.. me and my dark elf consort took on an entire army of orcs and ogres in their subterranean dwellings and after fighting though many levels we ended up in the base of a dark mages tower and kicked his butt *pant pant pant*"

To which I looked at him blankly and said "ah.. so you roleplayed all weekend?"

mind you he was of the same school as my other pet RPG hate.. I (as GM) set up a situation where my players were in a town to get supplies. Same guy above.. picked a fight in a bar (fair enough) but proceeded to try and kill everyone around him.. and then feverishly asked me "How many points do I get for killing xxx, yyy and zzzz?"

I told him I though't he'd be better off playing doom.

Aleks
4th-September-2006, 01:53 PM
Wadaya mean 'only in the bedroom'? There are other places one can play dressing up games :wink:.
(As previously posted by Sparkles and others) I doubt you'd meet a Librarian or Secretary in a bedroom!

killingtime
4th-September-2006, 01:54 PM
What puts me off roleplaying is the number of people who take it too seriously and it's all they talk about.

Unlike dancing of course :wink:. No I entirely know what you mean. I enjoy it but often I find players (mainly in roleplaying societies and conventions) take it all far to seriously. I remember being at a convention and deciding to be social and try to introduce myself to a bunch of new people and then wishing I had an escape route as someone was telling me how fireballs should have pressure effects etc. I think it's the time that, outside a game, people use I for themselves and there character interchangeably that sets of warning (of a long talk on what there character got up to) for me.

...but proceeded to try and kill everyone around him.. and then feverishly asked me "How many points do I get for killing xxx, yyy and zzzz?"

That's probably why a lot of us moved on to things like Cthulhu where you'll get nothing other than insanity for doing such things. Thankfully the people I game with seem much more well behaved.

killingtime
4th-September-2006, 01:56 PM
Wadaya mean 'only in the bedroom'? There are other places one can play dressing up games :wink:.
(As previously posted by Sparkles and others) I doubt you'd meet a Librarian or Secretary in a bedroom!

I was going to put "only in the sex sense" but I figured that it would just be weird to have this thread upstairs since it really belongs in the Geeks' Corner.

Noted though.

Cruella
4th-September-2006, 01:59 PM
I was going to put "only in the sex sense" but I figured that it would just be weird to have this thread upstairs since it really belongs in the Geeks' Corner.

Noted though.

Don't 'Geeks' have sex then?

Aleks
4th-September-2006, 02:13 PM
Most of the geeks I've ever known would rather game than have sex...

killingtime
4th-September-2006, 02:14 PM

The lucky ones do :D.

WittyBird
4th-September-2006, 02:35 PM
The lucky ones do :D.

Is that cos they pay for it?

Beowulf
4th-September-2006, 03:01 PM
Geeks don't have sex!!!!
(well this one doesn't any more :tears:)

we reproduce by cell division.. like giant amoebas

Most of the geeks I've ever known would rather game than have sex...

hmm.. nope. given the option I would tell my gamers to leave.. and let my good lady friend have a rustle with my dice bag instead.. :whistle:

bigdjiver
4th-September-2006, 03:34 PM
Way back I invented a role playing game, if being a dictator can be classified as role-playing, and had three weekly sessions running at Croydon, Crawley and Wimbledon. Despite it obviously having hit potential I was unable to find backers to have it commercially produced.
I discovered D&D, at High Wycombe whilst on contract, and loved the superb creative crew that played it there. I treasure my "News from Bree" fanzine and the memories it invokes. RPG's are too much a way of life for me, so I moved on when my contract ended.

straycat
4th-September-2006, 03:56 PM

It happens occasionally, it would seem... (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/9/linux_laid.html)

Actually - when I was at Uni, the 'For Dummies' series was just getting into its own... Linux for Dummies, Office for Dummies, Macintosh for Dummies etc etc etc...

Anyway - one day, they released 'Sex for Dummies' - and the University bookshop ordered it in. It was a useless bookshop, and they obviously didn't really know how to categorise this one once they got it....

...so they put it in the Computing section. :what: **

Stray
**And I'm really not joking about that...

Trousers
4th-September-2006, 03:58 PM
Great minds.......

I find the dressing up fun :innocent:

really
do canes and desks come into this?

I ask purely for information

trust me i'm er errrr
trust me I'm a bloke!

killingtime
4th-September-2006, 04:00 PM
It happens occasionally, it would seem... (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/9/linux_laid.html)

He he, I liked that article.

El Salsero Gringo
4th-September-2006, 05:28 PM
(As previously posted by Sparkles and others) I doubt you'd meet a Librarian or Secretary in a bedroom!You're hanging around in the wrong bedrooms then.

Icey
4th-September-2006, 08:03 PM

Apparently not ... (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=7521044027821122670&q=geeks+role+playing+girls)

Beowulf
4th-September-2006, 08:27 PM
Apparently not ... (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=7521044027821122670&q=geeks+role+playing+girls)

I .. ahem.. actually used to be the webmaster of a website (albeit a tongue in cheek one) sadly the domain has long since lapsed as I couldn't deal with all the funny posts I was getting any more..

anyway it was a website for a "charitable" organisation.. I can't really go into too much details about it .. except to give you it's name

www.sex4geeks.co.uk

Sadly.. (or perhaps Gladly) all trace of it has gone.. except some very few and small references on google.

:blush:

Lynn
5th-September-2006, 12:00 AM
Great minds....... Mine too. :blush: :rofl:

bigdjiver
5th-September-2006, 10:09 AM
I .. ahem.. actually used to be the webmaster of a website (albeit a tongue in cheek one) sadly the domain has long since lapsed as I couldn't deal with all the funny posts I was getting any more..

anyway it was a website for a "charitable" organisation.. I can't really go into too much details about it .. except to give you it's name

www.sex4geeks.co.uk

Sadly.. (or perhaps Gladly) all trace of it has gone.. except some very few and small references on google.

:blush:Sadly, you appear to be right. I tried looking it up on www.archive.org and, though the search found it, I could not retrieve any of the records.

Beowulf
5th-September-2006, 10:36 AM
if you're THAT desperate to find it.. i probably still have it archived locally.. somewhere :rolleyes:

was actually nothing to do with S.E.X. it was just an amusing website name a friend and I thought up (talking about charities that should be but as yet didn't exist) I had a rudimentary blog (2003 blogging hadn't really taken off to the level it has now) a comic strip serial.. (well one three panel one.. I never found the time to set up another one) , some of my programs I wrote for windows and my (then) Palm Pilot and profiles of some of my geeky members.. complete with Geek Code (http://www.geekcode.com/) for each member. and some silly PHP games and math and computing links to cool stuff.

Was never really that great.. was done as a laugh for *****s and Giggles. But the amount of emails I got basically full of bad spelling and sort of all saying the same thing .. generally

"U suk. I logged on here and No P@rn .. L@s3r"

etc.. So I decided.. what the heck, I didn't need this hassle so folded the site :na:

straycat
5th-September-2006, 05:59 PM
But the amount of emails I got basically full of bad spelling and sort of all saying the same thing .. generally

"U suk. I logged on here and No P@rn .. L@s3r"

Sorry. I thought you'd know I was joking...:blush:

MartinHarper
6th-September-2006, 02:23 AM
The only roleplaying game worth playing is Paranoia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(game)

(Actually I've never played it, but it's the only RPG that's really appealed to me. The player's handbook alone had me in stitches.)

Dreadful Scathe
6th-September-2006, 08:17 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(game)

(Actually I've never played it, but it's the only RPG that's really appealed to me. The player's handbook alone had me in stitches.)
indeed - the computer is your friend :)

killingtime
6th-September-2006, 01:44 PM

Good because I'm on my last clone and I have this strange muta- mut- nervous disposition.

Beowulf
6th-September-2006, 01:53 PM

Good because I'm on my last clone and I have this strange muta- mut- nervous disposition.

hehe.. well if you're ever up north near Aberdeen I'll GM a game for you all :wink: "The Clone of Kath-U-LHU-5" perhaps ;) :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
6th-September-2006, 04:51 PM
hehe.. well if you're ever up north near Aberdeen I'll GM a game for you all :wink: "The Clone of Kath-U-LHU-5" perhaps ;) :whistle:
we'll document it for the forum - it might even be interesting reading :)

Shodan
7th-November-2006, 01:10 PM
Yes, once every 2 weeks my team of buddies meet up and we play Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Fantastic fun, even though we hardly make any progress when playing - most of the time we're just being social and catching up with each other and eating tons of Doritos and dips and various snacks. :yum:

Dazzler
7th-November-2006, 03:09 PM
Great minds.......

Mine too. :blush: :rofl:

Mine 3 apparently....:devil: :rofl:

killingtime
8th-November-2006, 11:37 AM
Yes, once every 2 weeks my team of buddies meet up and we play Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Fantastic fun, even though we hardly make any progress when playing - most of the time we're just being social and catching up with each other and eating tons of Doritos and dips and various snacks. :yum:

I would have never guessed that someone with the username Shodan would enjoy roleplaying games :rolleyes:.

We try for a weekly game (it varies as to what we play) but at the moment I'm in a game of D&D.

Shodan
20th-November-2006, 03:21 PM
I would have never guessed that someone with the username Shodan would enjoy roleplaying games :rolleyes:.

Hehehe. Good to see another person who knows their games. :grin:

Juju
20th-November-2006, 09:51 PM
You could always try real role playing, so to speak, as in my profile piccie.

Shodan
21st-November-2006, 11:45 AM
Wow! Thats looks epic. I've seen one of those in action in the South West. Most impressive. :nice:

Juju
21st-November-2006, 12:30 PM
Wow! Thats looks epic. I've seen one of those in action in the South West. Most impressive. :nice:

Why, thank you. It was actually a pretty small battle. :grin:

killingtime
21st-November-2006, 01:37 PM

I love it! It's like like Lindy vs WCS vs MJ arguments applied to other fields :D. LARPers vs Tabletop vs Re-enactment (I've never done any of the last but it does look cool).

Next up Console vs PC? Vi vs EMACS?