PDA

View Full Version : DebRA, and the Scottish competition

Dance Demon
2nd-September-2006, 05:46 PM
Right {rant mode on }.....Every year, Scot runs the Scottish competition in the Brunton halls in Musselburgh, and donates the proceeds to charity.It only happens once a year, and is a great event, with a pre comp party on Friday night, and a whole day of competition and freestyle on Saturday. This years chosen charity is DebRA. Derails of what they do can be found here http://www.debra.org.uk/aboutebanddebra/

It never fails to amaze me that a large number of Edinburgh dancers don't attend this event. It's right on your doorstep guys, and there are loads of people who make the effort to travel from afar to be there.....so let's see more of the people that fill Marcos on a Thursday night making the effort to support a really good cause { rant mode off }

Thank you.......:nice:

under par
2nd-September-2006, 06:31 PM
Right {rant mode on }.....Every year, Scot runs the Scottish competition in the Brunton halls in Musselburgh, and donates the proceeds to charity.It only happens once a year, and is a great event, with a pre comp party on Friday night, and a whole day of competition and freestyle on Saturday.

.so let's see more of the people that fill Marcos on a Thursday night making the effort to support a really good cause { rant mode off }

Mrs Par and I will be coming along from the South coast it will be our first trip to Scotland and our second competition together. We would really love to see as many of the Edinburgh dancers as possible!

Please make the effort after all it is a good cause and it's for charitteeee.:flower:

See you all at the weekend.:yeah:

Under Par

Patrick
3rd-September-2006, 04:48 AM
Right {rant mode on }.....Every year, Scot runs the Scottish competition in the Brunton halls in Musselburgh...

It never fails to amaze me that a large number of Edinburgh dancers don't attend this event. It's right on your doorstep guys, and there are loads of people who make the effort to travel from afar to be there.....so let's see more of the people that fill Marcos on a Thursday night making the effort to support a really good cause { rant mode off }

It's just dawned on me that I'm travelling about 500 miles next Thursday to come to the Edinburgh Ceroc class plus competition... a new record for me. A mere 100 odd miles each way to Oxford today. At least Ceroc is upfront about the addiction thing... :eek: :eek: :eek:

One of my first experiences at trying to dance was having the **** taken for my faltering efforts at a Ceilidh in Edinburgh many years ago. Time to lay that ghost to rest I think! Look forward to meeting you all up there.

Patrick :cheers:

Minnie M
3rd-September-2006, 11:57 AM
Mrs Par and I will be coming along from the South ........
If your Scottish hotels were cheaper I would have made the journey - as would a few more....... especially now we can get cheap fares - so if anyone find a cheap hotel/guest house for about £30per room or less please let me/or the forum know :flower: thanks:hug:

However, that is no excuse for the locals :rolleyes:

Yliander
3rd-September-2006, 09:05 PM
If your Scottish hotels were cheaper I would have made the journey - as would a few more....... especially now we can get cheap fares - so if anyone find a cheap hotel/guest house for about £30per room or less please let me/or the forum know :flower: thanks:hug: I got a single b&b room for around that and sharing a family room got the great bargin of 18 pound - it just takes a little forward planning

Dazzler
3rd-September-2006, 09:20 PM
Would be nice to see the locals making an effort...i will be working through my lunches this week to attain early finish on friday and saturday off work simply to attend!......The 4 hr bus journey although daunting will be worth it am sure :wink:

Scot
4th-September-2006, 10:42 AM
Would be nice to see the locals making an effort...i will be working through my lunches this week to attain early finish on friday and saturday off work simply to attend!......The 4 hr bus journey although daunting will be worth it am sure :wink:

No presure then:what:

John S
4th-September-2006, 11:15 AM
I agree with DD, the Musselburgh events I have been to in the past don't seem to have been well supported by the Edinburgh dancers, (although full credit to those who do go). Maybe this year it will be different, hope so anyway.

But it's up to anyone how they spend their time and money, and while we can encourage attendance, correct misconceptions, maybe even publicise it better, I don't think we can fairly criticise someone who thinks about it and decides not to go.

Maybe there are people who go to Marco's etc and just think that they will get better value (more dance for their dollar) by going to a £7 monthly Saturday party than the Musselburgh equivalent for £15.

Maybe the way it is advertised to local dancers doesn't get the message across. I haven't been to an Edinburgh class for ages, so maybe this is off the mark, but if the "advertising" just consists as it does in Dundee and Perth of leaflets at the desk and a message from the stage mixed in with all the other local news, then people just may not pay attention. Perhaps for weeks in advance, each Ceroc venue in Scotland should have a big "in-your-face" poster visible from the dance floor throughout the night.

Maybe they genuinely don't like the idea of social dancing being competitive, I know that is certainly true of some people although I don't suppose the incidence is any higher in Edinburgh than elsewhere.

Maybe too there is a misconception that the day is all about "competition", and that can put some people off - either they don't think they are good/brave enough to compete, or maybe they are now just too old and creaky to do so!:(

Or maybe it's simply that there are just too many weekend dance events chasing our money, and for people who live in Edinburgh maybe "Musselburgh" isn't exotic enough. So, Scot - next year - Tahiti?

Anyway, despite all the "maybe"s, I'm going. :clap: