PDA

View Full Version : 'Scottish Swing Riot' 27-29 June

Lindsay
28th-April-2003, 05:53 PM
Fancy trying SWING? Check dis out...

This is BIG swing dance weekend in Edinburgh, 27th-29th June! Featuring a superb line-up of top world-class teachers: Simon & Taina- Lindy Hop champions from the London Swing Dance Society; Hasse & Marie- the Swedish Boogie Woogie champions; Dan & Christi- amazing teachers and choreographers from London's Lindy Circle; and Gary & Sara Boon- top teachers from Gloucester's Rock Dance Company!!!

- - - - - - - -

Don't miss out!
We'll be covering Lindy Hop at three levels (beginners, intermediate, and advanced), and Boogie Woogie (beginners and experienced). In addition there will be classes in Balboa, Strolls, Shag, and Tango (don't ask). BoogieSteps will be selling dance shoes, and there will be massage therapists on site to ease those aches and pains! The Saturday Night Ball will feature a jaw-dropping teachers' cabaret, and appearances by The Blues Sisters and other local dance groups.

Venue: Teviot Row House, Edinburgh University, 13 Bristo Square, Edinburgh.

Cost: Whole event- £59 (or workshop/party-only options)

Details and application at BoogieNights. (http://www.boogienights.net)

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
30th-April-2003, 10:13 PM
What a super line-up! Will be good to see so much talent north of the border.

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
9th-May-2003, 10:37 AM
I am booked for this, but I'm only a beginner (at swing)- just like the Tramp at modern jive. I am looking forward to trying boogie woogie which I hear is a bit like ceroc with footwork :confused:

Balboa- no idea what that is, but lindy hop is the one I want to get more into!

Looking forward to seeing these teachers I have heard so much about (especially Hass and Marie)

:D :D :D

SwingSwingSwing
9th-May-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Siobhan
I am booked for this, but I'm only a beginner (at swing)- just like the Tramp at modern jive. I am looking forward to trying boogie woogie which I hear is a bit like ceroc with footwork :confused:

Looking forward to seeing these teachers I have heard so much about (especially Hass and Marie)

:D :D :D

Siobhan

If lindy hop is what you want then ESDS have Lindy Hop workshops this very weekend in Edinburgh with Carolene and Russell of the Jiving Lindy Hoppers.

For full details see the ESDS website at http://www.hopscotch-swing.co.uk.

Cheers

SwingSwingSwing

PS. Balboa is a dance that originated in Southern California in the 30s. It was done in SoCal before Lindy Hop migrated from the East Coast. It has an 8 beat basic figure (step step hold step...step step hold step) with the steps done almost in a shuffle sort of way. It is very compact and it can be done to insanely fast music. CHeck out http://www.balboanation.com for more info and videoclips.

9th-May-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Siobhan
I am looking forward to trying boogie woogie which I hear is a bit like ceroc with footwork :confused:

Yes- it is a 6 beat count like glasgow jive I've been told, but less rock & roley.

As per (v. precise) sss description (great link too)

Looking forward to seeing these teachers I have heard so much about [/B]

Me too! Saw H and M in April last year. Never met the others but hear they are 1st class.

Baz

Dance Demon
9th-May-2003, 05:55 PM
Hasse & Marie......Excellent teachers ...and great fun....especially if they teach their "king of The Swingers "routine......
Have'nt seen the others but i'm sure they will be of the usual high standard
:cheers:

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
13th-May-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info folks, hope to meet up with you there!:grin:

SwingSwingSwing
13th-May-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Basil Brush

Me too! Saw H and M in April last year. Never met the others but hear they are 1st class.
Baz

BB

Just out of curiosity, whose classes did you attend when you were down in Surrey?

SwingSwingSwing

Lindsay
13th-May-2003, 04:33 PM
And I don't recall a fox at Chateau Jive...:confused:

13th-May-2003, 09:33 PM
A-ha I was there, had my high heels on though.

Surrey- a long time ago in the Milton Church Hall... you danced there too?

Twinkle Toes
14th-May-2003, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Basil Brush
A-ha I was there, had my high heels on though.

:what: ... a transvestite fox, whatever next !

bet they were RED too... you tart !:devil:

TT.
:hug:

14th-May-2003, 12:40 PM
You just can't beat squashing your paw into a red stilletto, with the excess fat painfully dripping over the side of each shoe. Such pleasure... and the transformation to the sway of the hips is quite remarkable, so feminine, such a turn on......
:what: ooops- got a bit carried away there...

23rd-May-2003, 03:46 PM
Finally got round to booking for Swing Riot- looking forward to another weekend of dancaholism.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :cheers:

Twinkle Toes
23rd-May-2003, 08:32 PM
Finally got round to booking for Swing Riot- looking forward to another weekend of dancaholism.

Mind and wear your red stilletto's then, so we will be able to recognise you :rolleyes: :D

TT :hug:

26th-May-2003, 11:06 AM
Mais oui TT-- tho' I may need a brighter colour for the psychedelic night!

Twinkle Toes
27th-May-2003, 03:00 AM
Mais oui TT-- tho' I may need a brighter colour for the psychedelic night!

Well, since you are a four legged creature, why not splash out and get a different colour for each one - that'll get you noticed. :wink: :D

TT x

ps. Will I be able to get a foxy dance with you ... and not the foxtrot please !!!

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
27th-May-2003, 10:10 AM
Dancing in stillettos :confused: could be interesting!

I'll look out for you too foxy :yum:

1st-June-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes
Will I be able to get a foxy dance with you ... and not the foxtrot please !!!

Of course TT- but only if you reveal your identity first :wink:

Lindsay
19th-June-2003, 03:50 PM
Just a reminder - still places left at the Scottish Swing Riot in Edinburgh, 27-29 June. EIGHT world class dance champs/teachers under one roof!

Absolute beginners to experienced levels, other classes in boogie woogie, balboa, hip hop, tango, and strolls.

If you just fancy coming to the party nights (see below), just turn up! For the w'shops we prefer you book in advance.

Nearly 100 dancers will be there... hope you can make it!