PDA

View Full Version : BBC Radio 4 - Thursday 01/05/03 11:30am

Stubob
28th-April-2003, 01:41 PM
A new series that looks at the passion and history of dance.

1. Jive:

In the 1920s, 'Lindy Hop', as it was first known, exploded onto the Harlem scene. Dancer Frankie Manning and historian Terry Monaghan tell the foot-tapping story of jive.

Chicklet
28th-April-2003, 01:43 PM
superb, thank you.

DavidY
28th-April-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Stubob
A new series that looks at the passion and history of dance.

1. Jive:

In the 1920s, 'Lindy Hop', as it was first known, exploded onto the Harlem scene. Dancer Frankie Manning and historian Terry Monaghan tell the foot-tapping story of jive. Thanks - I'll set the video...

David

DavidB
28th-April-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
Thanks - I'll set the video... Good luck - it's on the Radio.

Hopefully you wouldn't need to record it. Most things on Radio 4 are available on the web after they have been broadcast .

DavidY
28th-April-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Good luck - it's on the Radio.

Yeah, I know!:wink: I have one of these Freeview boxes that gets digital terrestrial TV. I'm not 100% convinced it was worth the money for the extra channels, but it does also get BBC Radios 1-7 - and I can record it on my video...

David

Wendy
30th-April-2003, 05:36 PM
Just a reminder that it starts tomorrow, apparently there's a story about one of the clubs :

" Clark Gable is here"

"Yeh. But can he dance ?"

Love that !!!!!

Wxxxx

Dance Demon
1st-May-2003, 04:14 PM
Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh..:reallymad :reallymad I cant beileive I forgot to tune in to this today........Anyone know if it's being repeated?

Franck
1st-May-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh..:reallymad :reallymad I cant beileive I forgot to tune in to this today........Anyone know if it's being repeated? You can get the whole programme online:

visit The BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml?focuswin) and browse down to "Let's dance"

Franck.

TheTramp
1st-May-2003, 04:21 PM
Cheers Franck (I forgot it too!!)

Steve

Franck
1st-May-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Cheers Franck (I forgot it too!!) You're welcome!

I have set the Tivo to record the whole series, so I did not miss it, and then realise I could just listen to it online anyway :waycool:

A bit focused on old stuff at the moment (I suppose it makes sense as it is a history of Swing) I wonder how far in the present they will reach!?

Franck.

Lou
1st-May-2003, 05:39 PM
Well - they got up to the 1980s today, Franck! :nice:

Franck
1st-May-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Well - they got up to the 1980s today, Franck! :nice: Yep, got to the end now... nice interview of James Cronin... old romantic that he is *w*

No mention of Scotland and the Ceroc Scotland Forum, though of course we are the future of Jive, rather than history :wink:

Franck.

Will
2nd-May-2003, 12:11 AM
Did anyone record this? or can anyone summarize what they said about Ceroc. I'd love to know

TheTramp
2nd-May-2003, 12:14 AM
To summarise, James Cronin started Ceroc because when he was 15, he was embarrassed at a dance because he only knew 4 moves, and didn't want anyone else to fell that way.

Which is kinda cute. Sort of :D

Go to the link on the first page, and you can listen to the whole interview off the net.

Steve

Stubob
8th-May-2003, 11:09 AM
BBC Radio 4 - Thursday 08/05/03 11:30am

The next part of the Let's Dance series is on in 20 minutes.

Today it's flamenco!

Stuart