PDA

View Full Version : Weekend 01/02/03 Sept Who's going where?

tiger
28th-August-2006, 06:37 PM
usual question,
who's going where?

and..feel free to add more options

ducasi
28th-August-2006, 08:07 PM
Do polls like this need a pre-poll thread so we can remind folks that this is the Ceroc Scotland forum, and that things happen in Scotland too? :)

On the 1st there's a Leroc event in Stirling, and a charity dance in Johnstone.
On the 2nd is the Glasgow party.
On the 3rd there's a WCS workshop and dance in Livingstone.

Might go to something each day if I can figure out transport... :)

Little Monkey
28th-August-2006, 08:14 PM

With the lovely Graham Fox and Christina!:clap: Can't wait for this, it's gonna be great!:clap:

Missing the Glasgow party (again), as I've foolishly said yes to a flat warming invitation..... Ooooh, why can't these muggles just realise their errors, and start dancing???:rolleyes:

David Bailey
28th-August-2006, 08:34 PM
Do polls like this need a pre-poll thread so we can remind folks that this is the Ceroc Scotland forum, and that things happen in Scotland too? :)
Can we also have a reminder that these polls are generally Evil? :innocent:

ducasi
28th-August-2006, 08:39 PM
Can we also have a reminder that these polls are generally Evil? :innocent:
I still fail to see how – where's the downside?

David Bailey
28th-August-2006, 08:45 PM
I still fail to see how – where's the downside?

More fluff to click through.
The implicit cliquey-ness.
The general lack of information about a venue or event.
The endless "you missed out 146 other venues" comments
The redundancy - this information is available elsewhere on this newfangled Interweb thingy.

I could go on. But I'm too grumpy.

Lynn
28th-August-2006, 09:27 PM
More fluff to click through.
The implicit cliquey-ness.
The general lack of information about a venue or event.
The endless "you missed out 146 other venues" comments
The redundancy - this information is available elsewhere on this newfangled Interweb thingy. I wouldn't have quite as many problems with them as that, but would prefer them off in a seperate section of the forum somewhere so more easily avoidable.

I could go on. But I'm too grumpy.Me too. But mainly because I can't go to any of the events.

And the one weekend I could, there was no poll to click on. Yeah, I know, I can't complain about there being polls then complain about there not being one. Well, actually I can. I don't have to make sense all the time.

tiger
28th-August-2006, 09:30 PM
Why do the scots have to keep going on about the fact that this is the scotland forum?
Its not exclusive to scotland,its on the world wide web and open to everyone.
On the last couple of polls ive stated 'please add other options etc' in order to avoid this kind of comment.

ducasi
28th-August-2006, 09:45 PM
Why do the scots have to keep going on about the fact that this is the scotland forum?
Its not exclusive to scotland,its on the world wide web and open to everyone. Must try that on the Aussie forum...

On the last couple of polls ive stated 'please add other options etc' in order to avoid this kind of comment. Only moderators and admins can add other options – if I could I would.

But that's why I suggested a "what's on this weekend?" thread to collect this information before posting a poll.

Lory
28th-August-2006, 09:49 PM
Only moderators and admins can add other options

I'm always happy to add options :flower:

WittyBird
28th-August-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm always happy to add options :flower:

Can u add Hotel Witty cos I've forgotten who's staying :rofl: I think it's in double numbers now :eek:

Yogi_Bear
28th-August-2006, 11:37 PM
Can u add Hotel Witty cos I've forgotten who's staying :rofl: I think it's in double numbers now :eek:
Where is Hotel Witty? can't find it in Google :innocent:

WittyBird
29th-August-2006, 12:06 AM
Where is Hotel Witty? can't find it in Google :innocent:

LMFAO North London :D

Yliander
29th-August-2006, 12:14 AM
no dancing for me a weekend of Family frollicks in London to celebrate my Dad's 60th birthday

Heather
29th-August-2006, 08:06 AM
Its not exclusive to scotland,its on the world wide web and open to everyone.

:sick: It would be nice if we Scots could get a word in edgewise on our Ceroc SCOTLAND Forum now and again!!!:whistle:
We don't keep going on about it at all, but as Ducasi pointed out, it would be nice if it were acknowledged that there are actually events happening up here and not just south of Hadrians Wall.
There is an extremely vocal English element on the Forum who post all the time ( nothing wrong with that) but it sometimes feels like it's an invasion!!! ( Nothing new there either!):sick:
Up until a couple of years ago, almost everyone who posted on the Ceroc Scotland forum was Scottish, the southerners had their own forum,which I believe folded,gradually they began to post on the Scottish forum,until they have virtually taken over, fewer and fewer Scots bother anymore.
This is principally because apart from the information which Franck posts on the main web pages regarding events in Scotland, there is not really much else of interest to us ( as we are continually excluded - albeit perhaps not deliberately- from polls etc)

RANT OVER

:hug:
Heather
x

Heather
x

Yogi_Bear
29th-August-2006, 08:27 AM
LMFAO North London :D

Hmm, strange but I can't find that either.....:innocent:

fletch
29th-August-2006, 08:55 AM
Hmm, strange but I can't find that either.....:innocent:

funny I have never had a problem,:na: found it straight away first attempt:clap:

:rofl:

Dave Hancock
29th-August-2006, 09:12 AM
So disappointed to be missing out on this, really hope this takes off as it'd be great to get an afternoon/tea dance style format going for WCS in Scotland.

I'll have to make do with WCS at Twickenham tomorrow and then hopefully with some other peeps out and about in London over the weekend.:cheers: :cheers:

Gus
29th-August-2006, 09:32 AM
Well, without getting in to the "Why are the only options for those damn Southerners" debate, in the N West we've got Northwich and Hyde on the Saturday. Luckily Northwich and Hyde are a fair distance away from each other and play very different music so shouold both attract their own crowd. Actualy is kind of nice, gives dnacers a real choice without causing conflict :)

Lory
29th-August-2006, 09:52 AM
:sick: It would be nice if we Scots could get a word in edgewise on our Ceroc SCOTLAND Forum now and again!!!:whistle:

...fewer and fewer Scots bother anymore.

~snip~

there is not really much else of interest to us

Heather :flower: Why don't you start a poll for the following week hun? ;) :hug:

Clive Long
29th-August-2006, 10:09 AM
<< snip >>
Up until a couple of years ago, almost everyone who posted on the Ceroc Scotland forum was Scottish, the southerners had their own forum,which I believe folded,gradually they began to post on the Scottish forum,until they have virtually taken over, fewer and fewer Scots bother anymore.
<< snip >>
RANT OVER

Heather
x

Heather
x
Why?

What can be done about it?

Clive

Bex
29th-August-2006, 10:12 AM
Why do these polls always miss out Friday nights at Twyford?? :tears:

David Bailey
29th-August-2006, 10:31 AM
We don't keep going on about it at all, but as Ducasi pointed out, it would be nice if it were acknowledged that there are actually events happening up here and not just south of Hadrians Wall.
So in other words, these polls are Evil? :innocent:

Because people keep posting Evil provincial polls, maybe?

And I'm pretty sure "the scots" don't keep going on about it, I doubt if I've seen more than, oooh, 10 comments in the past year to that effect.

Take a hypothetical example: if people kept posting polls on www.DavidJamesCerocInFinchleyForum.com, "Who's going to these places this weekend", but listing only Scottish venues, with the implicit assumption that nothing else is on, you'd think it maybe a little impolite.

This is why I've suggested previously:

either not doing so many of these polls.
Dividing Social Events into regional areas.

Failing that, I like Ducasi's "What's on where" suggestion.
Failng that, can people at least mark the Evil Poll as being for a particular region?

Trousers
29th-August-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes Everbody

. . . . . . . . . . . . Take note

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . David is having a Grumpy period.

Please bear with him during this awkard time and hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as is possible.

Dave Hancock
29th-August-2006, 12:00 PM
Any chance of this getting back on thread now the rants are out of the way. (I only say this as I have a vested interest in this poll)

David Bailey
29th-August-2006, 12:03 PM
David is having a Grumpy period.
It's lasted 39 years now.

stewart38
29th-August-2006, 12:09 PM
There is an extremely vocal English element on the Forum who post all the time ( nothing wrong with that) but it sometimes feels like it's an invasion!!! ( Nothing new there either!):sick:
This is principally because apart from the information which Franck posts on the main web pages regarding events in Scotland, there is not really much else of interest to us ( as we are continually excluded - albeit perhaps not deliberately- from polls etc)

RANT OVER

Heather
x

Heather
x

When the got rid of london forum ,was that 2 or 3 yrs ago wasnt anywhere else for us English to go so came on here , it wasnt 'gradual' :sad:

Agree though 90% post are from people living in England so dont know why its still called a Scottish forum which may put of people joining? :sick:

It would be nice to know whats going on in Scotland

azande
29th-August-2006, 12:14 PM
Failng that, can people at least mark the Evil Poll as being for a particular region?

:yeah:

Cruella
29th-August-2006, 12:19 PM

Only 39!! You obviously had a happy childhood then.

WittyBird
29th-August-2006, 12:21 PM
Any chance of this getting back on thread now the rants are out of the way. (I only say this as I have a vested interest in this poll)

:yeah: Marc is DJ'ing at Ealing along with Roger Chin on Friday, then he's at Berko Sat night :D

Might just stay in and wash my hair :whistle:

Trousers
29th-August-2006, 12:31 PM

Awwwww you must have smiled as a baby DJ

or was it wind?

These polls are created by people who obviously are going to make a decision on where THEY are going to dance based on information about where others say they are going to go.

Therefore by default the poll list will be centred on the poll creator, sort of like the pole dancer and her (PC moment - blokes pole dancing nah won't work) pole.

I agree with DJ they are tiresome and repetetive are tiresome and repetetive.
We know where we all dance, we all know the good venues, but sometimes there is that little cuddly side of people that wants to know their fave dancers are going to be where they ought to be, because we all like to dance with our fave's.

If the forumites that feel they are not included in a poll use some logic the poll wasn't directed at their area - surely that's not rocket science. With even more logic surely it is not impossible to create a scary poll yourselves. But surely you lot know where your mates are gonna be too so why bother?

If i want to know where someone marginally favoured is going to be on a particular night I ask them. But generally I don't need to
They all go to Hipsters
they all go to Ashtons
That wasn't difficult really 'cos they are the best venues at the moment.
I don't need a poll for that.

At the end of the day regardless of who goes where if I want to dance I will go where I want to even if there were no forumites there.

So Scots and Gus have a poll or three if you want but you won't learn anything you weren't expecting.

Trousers
29th-August-2006, 12:33 PM
:yeah: Marc is DJ'ing at Ealing along with Roger Chin on Friday, then he's at Berko Sat night :D

Might just stay in and wash my hair :whistle:

Use that organics stuff - kills two bird with one stone i hear

Gus
29th-August-2006, 12:56 PM
So Scots and Gus have a poll or three if you want but you won't learn anything you weren't expecting.Au contraire. Though the dance world down south may be boringly simple, or so you claim, the dance world in these here parts is rather fluid. Its nice to see where people are going, especially if you are DJing. The 'Best in the North' was as much an attempt to see if many Forumites actualy dance in the N West. The limited response seems to indicate few ... interesting to know.

Trousers
29th-August-2006, 01:03 PM
Au contraire. Though the dance world down south may be boringly simple, or so you claim, the dance world in these here parts is rather fluid. Its nice to see where people are going, especially if you are DJing. The 'Best in the North' was as much an attempt to see if many Forumites actualy dance in the N West. The limited response seems to indicate few ... interesting to know.

I'd have replied to said thread except there is always a little undercurrent in your threads, feels like a bit of an agenda going on.
I may be imagining it but. . . .

WittyBird
29th-August-2006, 01:05 PM
Use that organics stuff - kills two bird with one stone i hear

Nah Fructus

Lynn
29th-August-2006, 01:16 PM

Please bear with him during this awkard time and hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as is possible.I thought Grumpy was normal service for DJ?

Gus
29th-August-2006, 01:22 PM
I'd have replied to said thread except there is always a little undercurrent in your threads, feels like a bit of an agenda going on.
I may be imagining it but. . . .Undercurrent?? :confused: Sorry to disspoint but still ODA by nature. Always keen to see all views get a fair call. However, how can a poll have an undercurrent? Having said all that I can understand the Scots issue with a SCOTTISH forum being principally based on London events. May have a lot to do with the London contingent being ... urrr, how do I put this delicately (:wink: ) ... a bit more vocal? Nout wrong with that ... no forces anyone to read what is written here.

stewart38
29th-August-2006, 01:26 PM
Undercurrent?? :confused: Sorry to disspoint but still ODA by nature. Always keen to see all views get a fair call. However, how can a poll have an undercurrent? Having said all that I can understand the Scots issue with a SCOTTISH forum being principally based on London events. May have a lot to do with the London contingent being ... urrr, how do I put this delicately (:wink: ) ... a bit more vocal? Nout wrong with that ... no forces anyone to read what is written here.

Id love to know whats going on north of Watford but no one , generally posts about it ( re whats on at the weekend) :sad:

David Bailey
29th-August-2006, 01:34 PM
Only 39!! You obviously had a happy childhood then.
Yep, 9 months of quiet and warm, meals on tap, inhouse entertainment, you name it. Then there was all that noise, bright lights, having to do stuff myself... :eek:

I still haven't recovered.

Awwwww you must have smiled as a baby DJ
Nah, this was my default state I reckon... (http://arts.guardian.co.uk/gallery/0,,1830504,00.html)

Trousers
29th-August-2006, 01:51 PM
Id love to know whats going on north of Watford but no one , generally posts about it ( re whats on at the weekend) :sad:

That's the point surely??????

You (thats the royal You) only post stuff that is relevant to you? or in my case irreverent to me.

If there ain't a thread for your needs change your needs or start (i really despise my self for saying this) a POLL.

fletch
29th-August-2006, 02:25 PM

Friday / wythall
Saturday / Walsall
Sunday / Bromsgrove 't' dance

robd
29th-August-2006, 02:26 PM
I voted

Bedford
Berko
Ashtons

partly hoping that Marc might be DJing at Bedford. Since Rachel's doing Hipsters that night I guess not :sad:

WittyBird
29th-August-2006, 02:29 PM
partly hoping that Marc might be DJing at Bedford. Since Rachel's doing Hipsters that night I guess not :sad:

nope Marc is DJ'ing with Roger Chin at Ealing, I did mention it earlier in the thread :rolleyes: I wish people would read things properly :na:

robd
29th-August-2006, 02:32 PM
nope Marc is DJ'ing with Roger Chin at Ealing, I did mention it earlier in the thread :rolleyes: I wish people would read things properly :na:

Sorry dear, I've taken you off my ignore list now :devil:

Hmm, Hipsters is looking a bit more appealing with that news.

Cruella
29th-August-2006, 02:33 PM
Ooh, it's either Hipsters, Berko, Oxford or Ashtons. :confused: Can't decide:sick:

WittyBird
29th-August-2006, 02:34 PM

OOOh excellent I was on someones ignore list :clap:

Cruella
29th-August-2006, 02:36 PM

Hmm, Hipsters is looking a bit more appealing with that news.
Oh thats helping my decision, so looks like i'll choose Oxford as it'll involve no insults:whistle:

Heather
29th-August-2006, 05:17 PM
That's the point surely??????

You (thats the royal You) only post stuff that is relevant to you? or in my case irreverent to me.

If there ain't a thread for your needs change your needs or start (i really despise my self for saying this) a POLL.

There's little point in doing a poll up here as the choice is either what's going on at Ceroc or what the independents are offering and as we in Scotland are not allowed to mention what the Independents are offering - as this is seen as advertising and promptly removed - you can see the dilemma !!
There's no point in a separate poll for Scottish events only!:sick:
( But it would be nice if we were included in the list of options in other polls - even if only to let the rest of the country know that we actually DO dance at weekends up here!):rofl:
Heather
xx

bigdjiver
29th-August-2006, 07:00 PM
I voted

Bedford
Berko
Ashtons

partly hoping that Marc might be DJing at Bedford. Since Rachel's doing Hipsters that night I guess not :sad:I believe it is Roy DJ'ing at Bedford, which suits me just fine. In passing I should say I had a superb time at Wellingborough on Monday with Dave Archer as DJ, and part of the demo for Natalies fun class which I enjoyed immensely. It is to each their own where DJ's are concerned, and I have decided that it is the variety that I like.

Donna
29th-August-2006, 07:04 PM
Well, without getting in to the "Why are the only options for those damn Southerners" debate, in the N West we've got Northwich and Hyde on the Saturday. Luckily Northwich and Hyde are a fair distance away from each other and play very different music so shouold both attract their own crowd. Actualy is kind of nice, gives dnacers a real choice without causing conflict :)

Damn can't make it to Northwich this time. :sad: :grin: We're in France - teaching..... :clap:

littlewiggle
29th-August-2006, 07:09 PM
I believe it is Roy DJ'ing at Bedford, which suits me just fine. In passing I should say I had a superb time at Wellingborough on Monday with Dave Archer as DJ, and part of the demo for Natalies fun class which I enjoyed immensely. It is to each their own where DJ's are concerned, and I have decided that it is the variety that I like.

Yes I'm hoping there will be a nice mix. Does it mean I'm a bad dancer because I don't fret about the music half as much as many people on here and I almost always have a nice time?! Maybe I'm just easy to please!

tiger
29th-August-2006, 08:13 PM
What is so evil about a provincial poll?

I wouldnt be bothered at all if there was a 'midland/north poll, scotland poll etc.

i just wouldnt read it if i wasnt likely to dance in that area on that day or weekend.
I really cant see what the fuss is all about.

this poll started with good intentions and suggested 'feel free to add other options'.

it has descended into a very silly thread now, thought thankfully some people are just voting and b1tching little.

David Bailey
29th-August-2006, 08:36 PM
( But it would be nice if we were included in the list of options in other polls - even if only to let the rest of the country know that we actually DO dance at weekends up here!):rofl:
The answer is - lock up all the pollsters. :innocent:

OK, that's maybe a bit extreme. Just lock up all the repeat pollsters, or maybe just the next one, pour encourager les autres. (I hear Admiral Byng's next in line for a pardon, blimey, we'll be apologising for the 100 years war next...)

OK, on a slightly more serious note - I agree that some of us Southerners are too provincial, and it's incongruous to see the URL "scotland" when the majority of members aren't from that area.

But that's demographics for you - with 3X as many people (and maybe 10X as many dancers at the moment) in SE England as all of Scotland, the non-Scots will appear more vocal.

But that shouldn't mean you feel drowned out - simply post more :)

David Bailey
29th-August-2006, 08:40 PM
What is so evil about a provincial poll?
Didn't you read my list? :sad:

I wouldnt be bothered at all if there was a 'midland/north poll, scotland poll etc.
Yeah - but they never do say that, they say "What's going on everywhere in the world this weekend?" (OK, I added the subtext, but believe me it's there).

this poll started with good intentions and suggested 'feel free to add other options'.

it has descended into a very silly thread now, thought thankfully some people are just voting and b1tching little.
Yeah, it's shocking, all these people hijacking threads and everything. Tsk.

ducasi
29th-August-2006, 11:49 PM
I just think it might be reasonable, that when creating a poll on a web site, to take relevant information available on that web site and include it in the options.

(I notice that the forum Calendar hasn't been updated for September though – but the information is right there on the front page.)

Heather
30th-August-2006, 07:46 AM
I just think it might be reasonable, that when creating a poll on a web site, to take relevant information available on that web site and include it in the options.

Heather

fletch
30th-August-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm doing

Earling
Oxford
Bromsgrove 't' dance

WittyBird
30th-August-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm doing

Earling

Is that a posh Ealing?

fletch
30th-August-2006, 08:54 AM
Is that a posh Ealing?

Of cause babes, I will be there 'posh bird for Aston' :rofl:

Trousers
30th-August-2006, 09:11 AM
Damn can't make it to Northwich this time. :sad: :grin: We're in France - teaching..... :clap:

will you be late?
:devil:

robd
30th-August-2006, 10:53 AM
I believe it is Roy DJ'ing at Bedford, which suits me just fine. In passing I should say I had a superb time at Wellingborough on Monday with Dave Archer as DJ, and part of the demo for Natalies fun class which I enjoyed immensely. It is to each their own where DJ's are concerned, and I have decided that it is the variety that I like.

Fair point BigD. Roy did Neots last night and there was a reasonable variety to the music. More faster stuff than I personally like but I know that's going to be the case. What I feel with Dave A is that there isn't that variety. You clearly feel differently and, as you say, it is each to their own.

Rob

Daisy Chain
30th-August-2006, 12:00 PM
:sick: There is an extremely vocal English element on the Forum who post all the time ( nothing wrong with that) but it sometimes feels like it's an invasion!!! ( Nothing new there either!):sick:

*sniff* Anyone else feel as welcome as a f@rt in a spacesuit?

Daisy

(A Very English Little FLower)

Beowulf
31st-August-2006, 09:38 AM
*daubs on his blue woad*

They may take our threads.. but they will never take our Forum!!"

hehe.. Only kidding ;)

Pete

(a very non scottish scottish person who likes everybody .. even the english :wink:)

Lou
31st-August-2006, 10:02 AM

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=3502&&&edition=1&ttl=20060831095744

stewart38
31st-August-2006, 01:52 PM
Berko will be packed on Saturday :sad:

WittyBird
31st-August-2006, 02:05 PM

don't go then

fletch
31st-August-2006, 02:53 PM

Walsall won't be. :innocent:

Trousers
31st-August-2006, 04:45 PM
Walsall won't be. :innocent:

Watch it Ron. . . . .

the Death Eaters will get ya!

Trousers
31st-August-2006, 04:46 PM
Try and imagine I said that in a very Hermione type of voice!

fletch
1st-September-2006, 03:44 PM
Try and imagine I said that in a very Hermione type of voice!

To late :really:

just had a PM my chips are up :whistle: :tears: :na:

David Bailey
1st-September-2006, 04:09 PM
Is Greenwich the two-room thing, or is it a different venue?

Twirly
1st-September-2006, 05:17 PM
Not dancing socially... have a workshop on Sunday though :D

Minnie M
1st-September-2006, 06:22 PM
Is Greenwich the two-room thing, or is it a different venue?
sorry:blush: .......... my fault, had it on my list as Slinky's at the West Greenwich Community Centre - it is NOT Slinkys that is at the other venue with the 2 halls - it seems to confused a few people

David Bailey
1st-September-2006, 06:40 PM
I'll let you off this time :)

Missy D
1st-September-2006, 07:31 PM
Due to my injury my weekend plans have changed to:

Friday - laid up in bed with extreme pain

Saturday - probably same as the above.

Sunday - if a miracle happens then I will be at Ashtons otherwise as above.

:sad: :tears: :sad: :tears: :sad: :tears: :sad: :tears:

tiger
1st-September-2006, 07:36 PM
There are 2 rooms at Berkhamsted, DJ
The main room is a mixture of pop,swing,latin etc
The back room is mellow tunes,slow swing,slow latin,nu tango etc

David Bailey
1st-September-2006, 07:51 PM
There are 2 rooms at Berkhamsted, DJ
The main room is a mixture of pop,swing,latin etc
The back room is mellow tunes,slow swing,slow latin,nu tango etc
Ooh, is that how it's organised? Hmmm, sounds like a good venue, maybe I should try going there some day.

EDIT: yes, I am still grumpy, why do you ask?

stewart38
1st-September-2006, 08:05 PM
Ooh, is that how it's organised? Hmmm, sounds like a good venue, maybe I should try going there some day.

EDIT: yes, I am still grumpy, why do you ask?

Mr DJ you telling Porkies here ? im sure ive seen that head in the vacinty ?

David Bailey
1st-September-2006, 08:18 PM
Mr DJ you telling Porkies here ? im sure ive seen that head in the vacinty ?
Sigh :rolleyes:

Looks like even my powers of super-sarcasm are waning :sad:

kriss
1st-September-2006, 11:54 PM
With the lovely Graham Fox and Christina!:clap: Can't wait for this, it's gonna be great!:clap:

Missing the Glasgow party (again), as I've foolishly said yes to a flat warming invitation..... Ooooh, why can't these muggles just realise their errors, and start dancing???:rolleyes:

And we now have the lovely dance demon who will be playing his fab selection of wcs music for us :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sparkles
2nd-September-2006, 02:46 AM
Just got back from Ealing and wanted to say "sorry" and "thank you" to everyone who I didn't dance with and everyone who I did dance with and was lovely to me with my tummy ache, respectively :flower:.
Despite (sometimes) how it looked, I did have a good night :nice:.
S. xx

Lory
2nd-September-2006, 08:44 AM
Just got back from Ealing and wanted to say "sorry" and "thank you" to everyone who I didn't dance with and everyone who I did dance with and was lovely to me with my tummy ache, respectively :flower:.
Despite (sometimes) how it looked, I did have a good night :nice:.
S. xx

I hope your feeling better now! :flower:

I thought tonight was weird, I know i'm weird, but was it just me :confused:

fletch
2nd-September-2006, 09:01 AM

Your right it was different?

I did have a good time, there weren't so many people there which in one way was good (more space) there were a lot of my older gentlemen dancer missing. :really:

I have some photo's I will post 'em later :flower:

littlewiggle
2nd-September-2006, 09:32 AM
Had a fab time at Bedford last night - haven't been for ages and it was well worth the journey. Some great dances :nice:

Minnie M
2nd-September-2006, 10:12 AM
I hope your feeling better now! :flower: .......
:yeah: :flower: didn't even get a chance to say hello - sorry :blush:

..........I thought tonight was weird, I know i'm weird, but was it just me :confused:
:yeah: :confused:
No buz but all the right people (well nearly all) - I couldn't get into it either - bit like the Funky-Lush T-dance a few weeks back :confused:

Had lots of nice chats, and a few really nice dances (a luffly one with Silver Fox :worthy: ) but couldn't just lift myself out of ????

The floor was sticky and it was very hot ..... but Chiswick was like that and I enjoyed that evening :confused:

Very strange :confused:

I did have a great 'social' though - as most of my favourite people where there :yeah: :clap: :flower: :hug:

fletch
2nd-September-2006, 11:27 AM
Dizzy and Dave Hancock
WB and Donkey boy :wink:
Dave and limpytink

highlight of the night, me and Dave playing a slapping game with Tess and Foxy, sorry Tess think you came off worse :D

Minnie M
2nd-September-2006, 11:40 AM
...........highlight of the night, me and Dave playing a slapping game with Tess and Foxy, sorry Tess think you came off worse :D
Have to say the Long Man/ESG duo at the end of the night was embarassingly funny :blush: :rofl: :blush: :rofl: (not quite sure what they were singing, sounded like a Jewish/Israelii song about a Lynda + other such songs (:sick: )

Dance Demon
2nd-September-2006, 11:41 AM
And we now have the lovely dance demon who will be playing his fab selection of wcs music for us :clap: :clap: :clap:

And looking forward to it too....should be a great afternoon:clap: :clap:

Dave Hancock
2nd-September-2006, 11:49 AM
:tears: :tears: This day sounds like it's getting better and better and I'm going to miss it, no fair.

Am sure you'll all have an amazing day and look forward to future ones.

Dave Hancock
2nd-September-2006, 11:53 AM

Yeah, I think weird would describe it quite well, think whoever said it lacked a certain buzz has got it just right, lots of lovely people and some great dancers but just didn't really do it for me.

Slapping game was among the highlights, but my fav moment was dancing with Lynda and her leading her into a spin and her going like a top. For me it was a beautiful moment and it just felt I could've kept her going forever, so Minnie M:respect: and apologies for not returning you the other way thereafter so you could get your bearings:blush:

Minnie M
2nd-September-2006, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I think weird would describe it quite well, think whoever said it lacked a certain buzz has got it just right, lots of lovely people and some great dancers but just didn't really do it for me......

T'was me :really: very strange .... as I said it happened once before, with great company, good dancers, good music, good venue - but lacking that certain something ....... were we all tired, full after a big meal etc., :confused: I find it quite interesting working out what decides the general mood of the evening - wish I knew more about physcology to understand it :flower:

......... For me it was a beautiful moment and it just felt I could've kept her going forever, so Minnie M:respect: and apologies for not returning you the other way thereafter so you could get your bearings:blush:
Wow :really: and wow again :really: I wondered when I was going to stop :what: and then you carried on dancing without that opposite return :sick: it felt a little like dancing after I have hit the brady bottle too much :blush: I did enjoy it though - thanks :flower:

Dave Hancock
2nd-September-2006, 12:17 PM
Wow :really: and wow again :really: I wondered when I was going to stop :what: and then you carried on dancing without that opposite return :sick: it felt a little like dancing after I have hit the brady bottle too much :blush: I did enjoy it though - thanks :flower:
:tears: :tears:
Sorry, sorry, sorry for no return, was just a little surprised and blown away to be honest as wasn't expecting to keep going so long on such a floor.:flower:

Msfab
2nd-September-2006, 12:41 PM
T'was me :really: very strange .... as I said it happened once before, with great company, good dancers, good music, good venue - but lacking that certain something ....... were we all tired, full after a big meal etc., :confused: I find it quite interesting working out what decides the general mood of the evening - wish I knew more about physcology to understand it :flower:

Im putting it down to the mix of music. Not sure mixing 2 DJs during one night is a good thing, especially when (I) find their styles quite different. :whistle:

jacksondonut
2nd-September-2006, 01:02 PM
Was lovely to see everyone again..:flower: :flower: :flower: I was a bit off all day, so last night...(hoped I would feel better, but got worse as the night went on :sad: ) was ok..(ish) Yes, I picked up a 'weird vibe' too and thought it was just me..... :confused: felt odd for the whole evening..

I am not sure I liked a lot of the music played... think I am getting 'snooty'
in my old age.. :rofl: thanks to all those attempting wcs with me..! :worthy:

Just grateful that (nearly) all the lovely people were there and were so nice to me.. thank you very much.. it is worth being there just to see you all.l.. :yeah: :flower:

Hoping the rest of my weekend perks up... :clap: :clap: :clap:

NB thanks for driving Cruella... was exhausted. xx

Sheepman
2nd-September-2006, 05:32 PM
it felt a little like dancing after I have hit the brady bottle too much Hey, I didn't know Brady was there! Or has he lost his bottle? :devil:

I had an OK night at BFFF, with some lovely dances and dancers, but getting injured didn't help, probably due to the sticky floor, (although the massage from Tess certainly took the pain away! :flower: :hug: )

So I sat out for half the evening, before soldiering on, and the dances I had towards the end certainly made it all worthwhile!

But that floor was a real problem, Ealing used to have one of the best floors around, but simply due to the condensation (which was streaming down the windows as they're no longer allowed to open them) it's now really hard work.

Greg

Minnie M
2nd-September-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey, I didn't know Brady was there! Or has he lost his bottle?
:rofl: I must learn to read what I write before I hit the 'submit' :really: :blush:
The floor was really hard work yesterday - do you think that was the problem ?? I am going to start carrying talc in my dance bag in future :yeah:

Lory
2nd-September-2006, 06:19 PM
Well, I enjoyed the impromtu pre-dance drink with the forum bunch very much! :cheers: And I really enjoyed my first dance (thanks SF) but then I had a gap of nearly half an hour where 'nothing' seemed to get me going and at that stage I was seriously considering going home :(

I didn't find the floor tooooo sticky and I did have some lovely dances throughout the evening but all in all..... I still say, it was just plain weird! :confused:

Cruella
2nd-September-2006, 06:59 PM
Really enjoyed the drinks beforehand, i had a good night with some fab dances. Personally i didn't notice the floor being sticky :confused: But it was so hot in there,:sick: i don't remember it normally being like that. I wondered if there were some fans missing, anyone notice? The music was OK, but some dodgy tracks. I think that Minnie was correct, the 2 DJs didn't seem to compliment each other i'm afraid. But all in all i've had far worse nights.

stewart38
2nd-September-2006, 08:10 PM
Did anyone have a good time at Ealing :sad:

Alice
2nd-September-2006, 08:47 PM
Wasn't the best......

Did have some good dances though:)

under par
2nd-September-2006, 09:08 PM
Did anyone have a good time at Ealing :sad:

I did :yeah: I had a great 9 shirt night !!!

Been out of it for too long ..... so many marvelous dancers in one place:respect: :respect:

Minnie M
3rd-September-2006, 12:41 AM
Wasn't the best......

Did have some good dances though:)
By local standards it was good, but I normally have a great time at Ealing so was a little disappointed - won't stop me returning - next time I will bring other shoes :yeah: and it was great meeting up with friends I haven't seen for ages and meeting up with fellow forumites :clap: :clap:

(thank you to Mr. Par for driving :hug: )

stewart38
3rd-September-2006, 10:52 AM
Berko was good, thought there would be more people there but more then enough

Odd have those extra hours, never get a long enough set of music where i want to stay in one room so go back and forth a lot which is fine

Hope no one has a sore head this morning :whistle:

WittyBird
3rd-September-2006, 11:03 AM
Hope no one has a sore head this morning :whistle:

I Don't know what you could possibly mean :confused:

I blame Dave :blush:

under par
3rd-September-2006, 12:20 PM
Back at work this morning but am quite looking forward to a dance tonight locally.:yeah:

Andy Mcgregor will be opening his first of a regular Sunday night class tonight at Shoreham community centre, down here on Sussex coast.

As much as I love the Berko music on Sunday nights:respect: it is 170 mile round trip.:eek:

So a 10 mile 20 minute round trip and at a local venue :cheers: :cheers:

1915 a champagne reception for the 1st night. 2 classes and then freestyle from 2100 to 2230

Anyone else intrestested pm me for more details

stewart38
3rd-September-2006, 01:06 PM
As much as I love the Berko music on Sunday nights:respect: it is 170 mile round trip.:eek:

Its not on tonight so thats even better reason not to go :grin:

OXO'S
3rd-September-2006, 04:11 PM
HI went to oxford last night with fletch fab nigth fab venue,good crowd in there.A big well done to roy:respect:

Mr Cool
3rd-September-2006, 06:33 PM
lots of good dancers at Ealing I agree it was a little flat, I found the music disappointing (I normally like Marcs music) :confused: .
All we need is dance music Guys. :cheers:
:waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

stewart38
3rd-September-2006, 07:21 PM
what did people think of the 'chilled out' Ashtons music :grin:

I thought it was a bit mixed

Andreas
3rd-September-2006, 07:44 PM
:rofl: Chilled out music! :na:

Was hard enough to 'cruise in' with Rock'n'Roll and Jive but how on Earth could somebody then REQUEST more of that fast music. These people need to be taught that 'chilling' is the opposite of fast. Must be the language barrier. :D

Still, it was all good fun and I had great dances. Thanks to lovely ladies that made this possible. :drool: :flower: Special thanks to MsFab for elbowing me all the time. I am sure you did that deliberately but let me tell you, I am not into pain, honest. :innocent: :yum: :flower: :D

Music was good, though a tad too fast. However, we were asked to request, so it'd not be fair to complain if we didn't request slower music ... and at least I did not request. :whistle:

Dave Hancock
3rd-September-2006, 07:45 PM
Ashton's music was good laterally and glad I stayed, I'd have happily left at 5 o'clock though as up to this point the music was not like any I'd heard at a tea dance, 3 hour set and he managed to repeat a song, not the greatest.

Still I really enjoyed the end of it and thought it was good, chance to eat cake and drink coffee earlier which was nice and loads of lovely folks about and so nice to see Emma Clarke out again.:kiss:

Andreas
3rd-September-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh, pleasure to meet you, Dave. :cheers:

David Bailey
3rd-September-2006, 07:55 PM
I went to Greenwich last night.

For those who haven't been there, it's a mid-sized hall, chairs round the edges, usual Ceroc arrangement, nothing special there. In fact, I'll be honest and admit my heart sank when I got there nice and early, it's not immediately overwhelming.

However, I stuck it out and I'm very glad I did. There were some absolutely lovely dancers there - in fact, I didn't have a bad dance all night. And the best bit was that most of them were new to me - it's great dancing with someone who you don't know, and who turns out to be a brilliant mover. The standard was extremely high - much better than the average Ceroc venue, and probably about the same or better than BFF in my opinion.

DJ Erick did a grand job on the decks (never thought I'd hear myself say that...), and the coffee and cookies were plentiful and generous. Cerocmetro, take note - Greenwich provides massive yummy cookies with their freestyles... :whistle:

All in all I had a very good night - and I got in a few tangos, which is always a bonus. :)

FInally: transport tip. The absolute best way to travel between North London and Greenwich is to go along the North Circular, then down the A12 to the Blackwall Tunnel - it only takes 10 minutes after that. And whatever you do, do not under any circumstances trust the muppet TomTom when it tells you to go through Hackney on the way back home. Going to Hackney is never a good option - even if you live in Hackney, frankly.

littlewiggle
3rd-September-2006, 08:34 PM
what did people think of the 'chilled out' Ashtons music :grin:

I thought it was a bit mixed

What's it like on a Friday night? Is it the best one for a 'London' virgin? (well almost - went to Hammersmith for Champs and boat once when I was just beginning!)

Daisy Chain
3rd-September-2006, 09:12 PM
I I had a great 9 shirt night !!!

Glad I don't have to do your extreme ironing.

Daisy

(A Lazy Little Flower)

Andreas
3rd-September-2006, 09:33 PM
What's it like on a Friday night? Is it the best one for a 'London' virgin? (well almost - went to Hammersmith for Champs and boat once when I was just beginning!)
I believe Ashton's can be considered the best BIG night in London. So it is certainly a good place to start. There are better events, like Greenwich and Slinky's (also Greenwich) but they are a lot smaller.

littlewiggle
3rd-September-2006, 09:35 PM
I believe Ashton's can be considered the best BIG night in London. So it is certainly a good place to start. There are better events, like Greenwich and Slinky's (also Greenwich) but they are a lot smaller.

OK will start with Ashtons then :cheers:

Lynn
3rd-September-2006, 09:50 PM
OK will start with Ashtons then :cheers:My first London freestyle was Ashton's and I had a great night, as did my friend - and it wasn't just his first London freestyle, but his first freestyle ever and only his 2nd Ceroc evening.

fletch
3rd-September-2006, 10:49 PM
I went to Oxford last night, this is the first chance I have had to post, but firstly my verdict on the night.

AWESOME

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Where to start? I was met by a smiling Roy, Aremanflyn and Victor, the atmosphere was Buzzing from that moment on, it was one of the BEST night I have ever had, and the reasons why, fantastic dances with new and old faces.

marty baby
Patrick
Roy
John Baker
OXO'S
MickS
Fred
barm pot
and so many more, you know who you are. :flower:

John's music was fantastic, we had a wonderful mix, I had my little dance around my handbag. :blush:

I didn't want the night to end. :tears:

Only one negative, the bar, no fizzy water (good job I had my own) and for all the other beverages they were very expensive and not much choice, ho and the bar staff took my bottle of water at the end, which I needed for my journey home, but they did give me another one after I complained.:cheers:

Roy fantastic night :respect:

Cruella
4th-September-2006, 09:56 AM
I went to Oxford last night, this is the first chance I have had to post, but firstly my verdict on the night.. SNIP..............

I went to this last year and had a fantastic night. It would have been my choice for saturday too had i not got other commitments. Glad you found it in the end Fletch :D
Ashtons 'Chillout' Surely the clue is in the name! Some of the music was at breakneck speed but there were some nice tracks. I made a request and it was played almost immediately. So guys, make sure you make some requests then you'll get the music you want!
Made a new discovery, a couple from New Zealand, over here for a year. they looked great together and i had a lovely dance with the guy. (Forgotten his name already though:blush: ) I think we'll be seeing them around in the competitions this year.

robd
4th-September-2006, 10:44 AM
Where do the weekends go to? I can't believe it's Monday again so soon.

Another Southern triple-header for me. I opted for Ealing instead of Bedford on the Friday and I agree with Lory that something wasn't quite there on the night. There was some inconsistency to the music and I never felt the evening really flowed. It was also v hot and I had to take regular trips outside to cool down.

Berkhampsted on Saturday was much more satisfying. A little alarmed to arrive and find only 6 people in the mellow room, 3 of whom were MsFab leading ZW and Puddy Tat. Fortunately it started to fill up (though not too much) and I had a great time dancing with ladies I knew well and knew less well including some remarkably non-snooty WCS dancers. The music in the main room sounded pretty good too though I only got in there for one track.

Ashtons yesterday was a weird one. I had a good time, some v nice dancers and dances but the music made me realise where the term 'mish-mash' springs from. I always seem to be whining about the music post-Ashtons ('too much Latin!') and Bob played some superb slower stuff but also lots of stuff that was way too fast for my enjoyment. Not at all chillout but as others have said he was more than willing to take requests and I didn't bother to give him any so I shouldn't moan too much. Billy Ocean (can't remember that track name) was a welcome blast from the past :clap:

A good weekend's practice for Southport - the people I danced with know what I mean. :D

Msfab
4th-September-2006, 11:21 AM
Billy Ocean (can't remember that track name) was a welcome blast from the past :clap: When the going gets tough :rolleyes: That was my first dance of the afternoon with you!:rolleyes:

robd
4th-September-2006, 11:24 AM
When the going gets tough :rolleyes: That was my first dance of the afternoon with you!:rolleyes:

Yes, I remembered that - I've stopped naming names as it's too easy to accidentally forget someone :blush: It was a nice one too. I didn't think it was that track as I don't recall hearing all the stuttery stuff from the start :grin:

Mostlysane
4th-September-2006, 08:20 PM
I went to Oxford last night, this is the first chance I have had to post, but firstly my verdict on the night.

AWESOME

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That man does know how to put on a good freestyle doesn't he.

And there's a tea dance in Oxford this sunday.
:waycool:

mikeyr
5th-September-2006, 12:25 PM
Made a new discovery, a couple from New Zealand, over here for a year. they looked great together and i had a lovely dance with the guy. (Forgotten his name already though:blush: ) I think we'll be seeing them around in the competitions this year.

That would be Jason and his girlfriend Sharon, really nice people and I can confirm that Sharon is a really lovely dancer too. Hopefully we will be seeing them at dance venues all over the London Area.