PDA

View Full Version : Ashtons - This Fri - Whats the place like? 8)

marty_baby
24th-August-2006, 11:53 PM
Hiya All,

Hey hey, I back to london this weekend - to visit the folks.

I've just noticed there is a dance on at this "Ashtons" place
I kinda think - "I can go there - on the way back to folks"

I've never been to this place before.... (Was planning on Cardiff on Fri..... but hey options....)

So... whats this place like?

Smoking or non smoking?
The music?
The floor?
The clientle?
Parking?
Finding the pesky place (I'll probably be turning up... ahem... wrong side of 10pm...)

Please advise
Martin :hug:

WittyBird
25th-August-2006, 12:01 AM
So... whats this place like?

Smoking or non smoking?
The music?
The floor?
The clientle?
Parking?
Finding the pesky place (I'll probably be turning up... ahem... wrong side of 10pm...)

It's my favourite venue
Smoking upstairs
great floor
excellent
park on B&Q
easy to find

I will be there along with loads of others :D definately worth a trip babes :clap:

Ashtons is my favourite venue with Ealing coming a close 2nd, so that should tell you something :D

marty_baby
25th-August-2006, 12:14 AM
...erm.... a place with loads of pettite wittys running around?!?!?!

gulp.... :wink:

I thought it might be a "nice" place.... :na:

only kidding gorgeous!!

WittyBird
25th-August-2006, 12:15 AM

only kidding gorgeous!!

Cheeky fcuker :rolleyes:
And all the compliments you gave me last weekend as well :gutted:

LMFAO :rofl:

marty_baby
25th-August-2006, 12:30 AM
Cheeky fcuker :rolleyes:
And all the compliments you gave me last weekend as well :gutted:

LMFAO :rofl:

Does everyone talk like you at Ashtons??!?!?!

...I'll bring ear plugs..... :rofl:

WittyBird
25th-August-2006, 12:32 AM
..I'll bring ear plugs..... :rofl:

Did you not notice I normally wear them :rolleyes: Your in the zone for my hotshot~isms :rolleyes:

marty_baby
25th-August-2006, 09:12 AM
aaawww baby.... only messing.....

...I've never been called an "ism" before! :na:

whats a hotshot tho? :confused:

martin :hug:

Dizzy
25th-August-2006, 10:34 AM
Well, Martin. Apart from Little Wittys, I will be going.

It will be good to see you again.

TiggsTours
25th-August-2006, 10:56 AM
Witty is right though, Ashtons is great, infact (stands back and waits for barrage of abuse!) its one of the very few Ceroc veunes I'm not bored of now!

Great venue, loads of space, good floor, nice people, good dancers, good music, nice atmosphere, easy to find, easy to park, only 2 drawbacks are that smoking is allowed upstairs (but then, people only ever go up there to use the loo, or smoke I guess) and it has the most expensive water in town! £1 for a pint of tap water!

Definitely worth a visit, although I will be elsewere, hopping my lindy!

El Salsero Gringo
25th-August-2006, 10:59 AM
Come and say hello - I'll be the one with the camera.

David Bailey
25th-August-2006, 11:26 AM
Great venue, loads of space, good floor, nice people, good dancers, good music, nice atmosphere, easy to find, easy to park
Mostly agree, but there definitely wasn't loads of space last Friday... Also, "Good music" is as always a subjective term.

(but then, people only ever go up there to use the loo, or smoke I guess)
:rofl: - Ah, bless... :na:

and it has the most expensive water in town! £1 for a pint of tap water!
Chiswick has it beat - £1.20 for a half-litre bottle :eek:

But no-one can match the unique "Ashtons Attitude" of the bar staff there. I think they go on special training courses or something.

Definitely worth a visit, although I will be elsewere, hopping my lindy!
Is that what the young people are calling it nowdays?

Anyway, Ashtons: it's a big venue (about the same size as Ealing I guess), it's more atmospheric than most because it's a specific dance venue, and it has the standard Ceroc vibe otherwise.

marty_baby
25th-August-2006, 11:38 AM
Well, Martin. Apart from Little Wittys, I will be going.

It will be good to see you again.

Thanks dizzy... nice to know someone at Ashtons likes me! :hug: :na:

I found out what a hot shot is.... I think its really unfair to label me like that! :tears: For example, I danced with everyone at Big bang, and only had to say "no" when I was ready to keel over!... I even missed a last dance with the admazing Rachael at the end of the evening on Sat because I literally had nothing left... :tears:

.....I always though "hotshot" was a cool term :rolleyes: :tears: :o

under par
25th-August-2006, 11:41 AM
WHAT IS THE FINISHING TIME TONIGHT??

might consider a trip if there is a late finish :yeah:

marty_baby
25th-August-2006, 11:41 AM
£1 for a pint of tap water???

...are we allowed to bring our own water bottles/isotonic drinks along?..

El Salsero Gringo
25th-August-2006, 11:44 AM

...are we allowed to bring our own water bottles/isotonic drinks along?..Absolutely not. They get confiscated if you're caught, and you might get thrown out too. Seriously.

WittyBird
25th-August-2006, 11:46 AM
WHAT IS THE FINISHING TIME TONIGHT??

might consider a trip if there is a late finish :yeah:

1.30am please come:grin:

under par
25th-August-2006, 11:47 AM
Absolutely not. They get confiscated if you're caught, and you might get thrown out too. Seriously.

But it IS a very friendly place!:whistle:

under par
25th-August-2006, 11:48 AM
1.30am please come:grin:

Now theres an invitation :whistle:

WittyBird
25th-August-2006, 11:48 AM
I found out what a hot shot is.... I think its really unfair to label me like that! :tears:

I was teasing you :rolleyes:

El Salsero Gringo
25th-August-2006, 11:51 AM
But it IS a very friendly place!:whistle:Its the (Ashtons employed) venue manager who I saw getting very uptight about it. The Ceroc staff (and customers) are very friendly.

Donna
25th-August-2006, 11:53 AM

...are we allowed to bring our own water bottles/isotonic drinks along?..

£1 for a bottle of water - understandable. Tap water - ridiculous! :mad: £1 for a glass of something that tastes of bleach! yuk

I'd sneak your own in! or... buy one bottle of water there and keep filling it up in the loos after :sick: will save you a bit! :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
25th-August-2006, 12:02 PM
£1 for a bottle of water - understandable. Tap water - ridiculous! :mad: £1 for a glass of something that tastes of bleach! yukIf you knew the care that went into preparing the tap-water, you'd understand the price. You see, the glasses are filled in advance, and allowed to 'mature' on the side of the bar at room temperature for a couple of hours before being sold.

Donna
25th-August-2006, 12:07 PM
If you knew the care that went into preparing the tap-water, you'd understand the price. You see, the glasses are filled in advance, and allowed to 'mature' on the side of the bar at room temperature for a couple of hours before being sold.

Just think about all the B.O that evaporates off peoples bodies into the air and landing inside those glasses. (sorry, is that being too fussy?:rofl: ) Should put you off it now! :grin:

marty_baby
25th-August-2006, 12:08 PM
£1 for a bottle of water - understandable. Tap water - ridiculous! :mad: £1 for a glass of something that tastes of bleach! yuk

I'd sneak your own in! or... buy one bottle of water there and keep filling it up in the loos after :sick: will save you a bit! :rofl:

Oh, its not the cost of it at all!
And I'm not sure about the hygeine of loo water.... :rofl:

Its just the whole Idea of paying for a basic neccessity.

Sorry... but I'm probably a bit old fashioned... we west country folk have been spoilt rotten with free water on standby (Hell, and free squash I think)...

Cheers
Martin

Donna
25th-August-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh, its not the cost of it at all!
And I'm not sure about the hygeine of loo water.... :rofl:

Its just the whole Idea of paying for a basic neccessity.

Sorry... but I'm probably a bit old fashioned... we west country folk have been spoilt rotten with free water on standby (Hell, and free squash I think)...

Cheers
Martin

So have the NW folk - free tap water up here too.

marty_baby
25th-August-2006, 12:11 PM
Any other weird little customs this place has - I should know about?

(I don't fancy being thrown out after driving 2.5 hours to the place)

WittyBird
25th-August-2006, 12:17 PM

(I don't fancy being thrown out after driving 2.5 hours to the place)

No not really

Lory
25th-August-2006, 12:18 PM

Yes, people doing 'big drops' when it's crowded, get thrown out! :devil: :wink:

(I don't fancy being thrown out after driving 2.5 hours to the place):whistle:

Donna
25th-August-2006, 12:21 PM
Yes, people doing 'big drops' when it's crowded, get thrown out! :devil: :wink:

:whistle:

I've heard of one guy in the London area who carries out aerials on women without permission first - & I avoid him like the plague. (Don't get me wrong, I love aerials, but I've heard he's caused accidents in the past, and besides, he shouldn't be doing them on an overcrowded dance floor) Bet he's been banned from Ashtons without having set foot in there yet! :D

marty_baby
25th-August-2006, 12:45 PM
Lory,
You have a very looooong memory huh? :rofl:
Ealing earlier this year - not me btw! :na:

Donna,
aerials? - thats a laugh! :rofl:

marty_baby
25th-August-2006, 12:47 PM
ok, another question:
What about bringing in your own munchies?

eg.
Crisps (only way going to get salt intake by the looks of it in this strange place tonight!)
Fruit and nuts
choccie bars???

(don't believe I have to ask stuff like this! :o :rolleyes: )

Lory
25th-August-2006, 12:56 PM
Lory,
You have a very looooong memory huh? :rofl:
Ealing earlier this year - not me btw! :na:
:D :hug:

ok, another question:
What about bringing in your own munchies?

Absolutely.. we love it when someone brings munchies..... don't we! :yum: :wink:

marty_baby
25th-August-2006, 01:11 PM
cool....

Ok, got the rules for the place - happy with it.

My view is, if you come along - play by the venue's rules. no problems with this at all. It would have been bit of a shock - if I found out when arrived tho... imagine that - chucked out over a watter bottle!

See you all there! :hug:

Donna
25th-August-2006, 01:16 PM
no problems with this at all. It would have been bit of a shock - if I found out when arrived tho...

and embarrassed! :what: I doubt they'd through you out just over a bottle of water. If somebody turned up there with a bottle of water not knowing the rules and tried to explain that then I'm sure they'd let'd let you off.

stewart38
25th-August-2006, 01:37 PM
So have the NW folk - free tap water up here too.

But it doesnt cost £1.4m for a one bed flat and i doubt a glass of wine down the road cost £45 either. This is Cricklewood lol

The free tap water brigade has started again :respect:

I suggest we wait for the Bulgarians to come over . so then bar staff are free (or 5p an hr) and it cost nothing to clean it ! (or 2p an hr)

FREE DRINKS ALL NIGHT

David Bailey
25th-August-2006, 02:00 PM
Absolutely not. They get confiscated if you're caught, and you might get thrown out too. Seriously.
That's the warning. Although having said that, I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about this actually happening...?

But it IS a very friendly place!:whistle:
As Ass-El has said, it's bl00dy Ashtons bar management, not the Ceroc people. The bar staff just hate everyone I think. But given the normal clientele at that venue (drunken Irish nightclubbers), I guess it's a reasonable worldview.

They don't sell bottled water - and if you think the tap water is bad you should taste the Coke occasionally... :rofl:

But it doesnt cost £1.4m for a one bed flat and i doubt a glass of wine down the road cost £45 either. This is Cricklewood lol
Yeah - it's a dump...

The free tap water brigade has started again :respect:
Wasn't there a thread on this a while back?

TiggsTours
25th-August-2006, 02:10 PM
They don't sell bottled water - and if you think the tap water is bad you should taste the Coke occasionally... :rofl:

Yes they do, but you have to ask for bottled mineral water to get it, and if you think the tap water is vastly overpriced........................... Hah!

Donna
25th-August-2006, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=DavidJames;270265]They don't sell bottled water - and if you think the tap water is bad you should taste the Coke occasionally... :rofl:

I don't drink that stuff now, since I heard they use it to dissolve blood on roads after accidents. :sick: Drink enough of the stuff, and it can cause osteoporosis at a very early age (and being so into my dancing, would rather avoid that crap :grin: )

stewart38
25th-August-2006, 02:43 PM
Wasn't there a thread on this a while back?

About 14 threads on free tap water

I think about 25p would be ok for a pint (I bet I didn’t say that in the past)

. But given the normal clientele at that venue (drunken Irish nightclubbers), I guess it's a reasonable worldview.

In the old days we of course use to mix and overall they were a fine lot

TiggsTours
25th-August-2006, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE]

I don't drink that stuff now, since I heard they use it to dissolve blood on roads after accidents. :sick: Drink enough of the stuff, and it can cause osteoporosis at a very early age (and being so into my dancing, would rather avoid that crap :grin: )

There are an awful lot of fake stories out there about coke, I wouldn't believe that if I were you, as far as I was aware, they just wash it down with water.

El Salsero Gringo
25th-August-2006, 03:49 PM
The bar staff just hate everyone I think.Not my experience. I smile at them, and they smile back at me.

WittyBird
25th-August-2006, 03:54 PM
Not my experience. I smile at them, and they smile back at me.

That's erm called *laughing*

El Salsero Gringo
25th-August-2006, 03:59 PM
That's erm called *laughing*It's better than a slap in the face with a kipper, whatever it is.

El Salsero Gringo
25th-August-2006, 04:00 PM
That's erm called *laughing*It's better than a slap in the face with a kipper, whatever it is. I did ask Christine (I think her name is) to dance once, but she turned me down.

Clive Long
26th-August-2006, 09:32 AM
The bar staff just hate everyone I think.Not my experience. I smile at them, and they smile back at me.
I tried the same last night and got the same response as ESG. Weird stuff !

under par
26th-August-2006, 10:00 AM
Had to duck out of the trip to Ashtons the thought of going to bed at 3 am and getting up at 6 am for work outweighed the thought of all those hours of freestyle with so many great dancers..... sadly:sad: :sad:

David Bailey
26th-August-2006, 10:58 AM
What, they laughed at you too?

Don't show them the shoes next time, that's my advice :na:

stewart38
26th-August-2006, 11:25 AM

where were you hiding ?

The night was ok some great dances with a few people but i wont name them

Music lets say was a bit 'different' . some of it sounded like track 7 from 80s CD collection

Paul F
26th-August-2006, 11:47 AM
Well I have to say I had a really good night.

After my last experience with Ashtons I expected it to be crowded, little or no floorcraft, surface-of-the-sun hot with questionable music.

What I got was brilliant IMO.

It was certainly not packed. In fact, it was just the right number for me. As a result the singluar fan did its job of shifting the air which kept it pleasently comfortable.
As for the dancers, :worthy: . Fabby fabby dances all night.

The only downside for me was the end of Ian's set. He played a great mix from a whole host of genres. :respect: Unfortunately when Bob took over and speeded things up I had to call it quits. I think I left when 'Rockin Robin' came on (or whatever its called). I realise we were just about to head into the chill-out hour but rock&roll at that time of night just doesnt do it for me.

Other than the change in music it was a really good night. Thanks to everyone for my dances :hug:

WittyBird
26th-August-2006, 12:04 PM
Well I have to say I had a really good night.

:yeah: I had an awesome evening :clap: I haven't laughed so much for ages
Wish I could say I didn't have a bad dance all night, but alas that isn't the case. I now officially declare myself a 'freak magnet' :rofl:

Gotta say it was a few people that made my evening so great :awe:

Thanks to KevF, BobGadget,Andy Martin, Lory and Paul F for helping me with WCS your laughter was encouraging :D

Roll on tonight :worthy:

Lory
26th-August-2006, 12:06 PM
Well I have to say I had a really good night. Me too :clap: :clap:

It was certainly not packed. In fact, it was just the right number for me. And me :clap:

As for the dancers, :worthy: . Fabby fabby dances all night. Same again! :clap:

I realise we were just about to head into the chill-out hour but rock&roll at that time of night just doesnt do it for me.Nor me! :sad:
That said, in one evening, I managed to get in, a waltz, a foxtrot, a quickstep (all before 9pm) some tango's, Cha cha's and lots of WCS's as well as MJ, so I can't complain! :na:

Thanks to everyone for my dances :hug: Everyone? :( :tears:

Lory
26th-August-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks to KevF, BobGadget,Andy Martin, Lory and Paul F for helping me with WCS your laughter was encouraging :D

WB, there's no denying it, you have a unique style! :worthy: :rofl:

Seriously though, you'll get there! I saw a big improvement, just in the small time that I watched! :clap: :hug: (just remember, you ALWAY'S start with your RIGHT foot! :wink: )

WittyBird
26th-August-2006, 12:18 PM
WB, there's no denying it, you have a unique style! :worthy: :rofl:

Well if we were all the same life would be boring :eek:

Seriously though, you'll get there! I saw a big improvement, just in the small time that I watched! :clap: :hug:

Thank you, I'm gonna be so good at this :na: hopefully in this lifetime :D

(just remember, you ALWAY'S start with your RIGHT foot! :wink: )

I understand that, but the problem is remembering which is my right foot :rofl:

Minnie M
26th-August-2006, 12:20 PM
Had to duck out of the trip to Ashtons the thought of going to bed at 3 am and getting up at 6 am for work outweighed the thought of all those hours of freestyle with so many great dancers..... sadly:sad: :sad:
:yeah:
Ashton's loss was Brighton's gain - thank goodness Mr. UP :respect: was with us in Brighton last night, at least I got a couple of decent dances ............. local dancing :tears: it just isn't the same ..........

(my goodness I think I sound a bit like a dance snob - it was a good social saw lots of mates - but the music and the dance standard was not the same)

2 hours drive compared with a drive 5 minutes down the road really doesn't mean a thing when you can dance with such special people like a lot of you

Hope to see some of you at Chiswick tonight - please come and ask me to dance I NEED A DANCE FIX :tears:

robd
26th-August-2006, 12:21 PM
I understand that, but the problem is remembering which is my right foot :rofl:

It's the one that's not the wrong foot.

WittyBird
26th-August-2006, 12:24 PM
It's the one that's not the wrong foot.

Carry on Pal and you can sleep in the garden tonite :eek:

robd
26th-August-2006, 12:30 PM
What a difference a week makes. After a depressingly awful night there last Friday I had a very good time last night - lots of laughs and lots of fun dances. Undoubtedly the fact that there were far fewer people than the previous week helped - more space to dance in and less stiflingly hot. I think I did more dips and drops last night (and felt safe in doing so (and before the Drop Police start asking questions :rolleyes: - yes, I did ask the ladies permission first)) than in the past few months combined.

Made the mistake of leaving a 75p glass of water (i.e 3/4 quarters full :grin: ) on the table near the end and the bar staff swiped it before I could drink it. Not impressed :mad:

Music was a mixed bag. I don't particularly like Latin music but I know in advance that plenty is going to get played there so I shouldn't really complain about it. Lovely chillout half-hour (and lucky to get the right partners for it :clap: ) and a much more appropriate last track than the previous week.

Still didn't manage to ask Missy D though :sad: When I'm free, she's dancing and vice versa. One day....

robd
26th-August-2006, 12:32 PM
Carry on Pal and you can sleep in the garden tonite :eek:

I'll be rubbing shoulders with fairies again then. No change there.

marty_baby
26th-August-2006, 01:07 PM
Hiya All,

My 1st time at Ashtons last night - impressed with the venue!

I understand it was very quiet last night - but I found the number of people on the dance floor just right! :nice: I'm going to have to really work on floor craft if I'm going to come back when Ashtons is really busy!

Did I dance with all you forum girlies? Lory - you were there??? um.... did we dance???

I wasn't dancing well at all... must work on the lead/follow, and slow down on the fast tracks! :na: Everyone was nice though - which makes a real difference.

Never really got into the music - but that could just be me - bit of a long week at work :rolleyes: The Bar staff were fine, and the water ok :rofl:

Thanks for all the dances ladies, and for making me feel welcome guys! :nice:

Martin :hug:

PS:
When is the next Ashtons?
is it a monthly thing?

jacksondonut
26th-August-2006, 01:14 PM
I had a lovely evening too.. :yeah: Great to catch up with everyone, get loads of lovely hugs...:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: (my favorite bit actually....:innocent: )

Enjoyed most of my dances with everyone, had lots of fun and laughs, love you guys to bits.. dont need to name names, you know who you are...xxxx :yeah: :yeah: Massive apologies for anyone who I had a disaster with... :flower: :flower: :flower: :eek: Only trod on my own foot once....!!! :rofl::rofl:

One of those evenings that for me was pretty special. Thanks to everyone and see you all next week...:clap: :clap:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lory
26th-August-2006, 01:19 PM
Did I dance with all you forum girlies? Nope

Lory - you were there??? Yes - I asked you where you hidden your stash of munchies, which were not forthcoming :rolleyes: :wink:

um.... did we dance???No.. don't feel bad though :hug: I appeared to be to wearing the amazing cloak of invisibility :confused:

When is the next Ashtons?
is it a monthly thing?Yes, it's usually on the 3rd Friday of each month :)

fletch
26th-August-2006, 01:20 PM
:yeah: I had an awesome evening :clap: I haven't laughed so much for ages
Wish I could say I didn't have a bad dance all night, but alas that isn't the case. I now officially declare myself a 'freak magnet' :rofl:

Missed you

:tears: :tears: :tears:

I see you missed me just as much :whistle:

'freak magnet' eh! join the club :rofl:

Stop having a good time without me, I wish I was there :sad:

Next week :hug:

WittyBird
26th-August-2006, 01:35 PM
Yes, it's usually on the 3rd Friday of each month :)

Actually if you look Here (http://www.ceroclondon.com/diary.htm) it would appear that Ashtons is going to become more regular :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I think Ashtons on every week might kill it :eek: But then again what choices have we got, Casbah or Chesham so Ashtons would win for me :clap:

jammy
26th-August-2006, 01:43 PM
i had a really good night my very first time in london and i thought ashtons was really good had a really nice floor! i wanted to say thankz to every one who made me feel welcome and thanks for all my fab dances and cuddles:na:

im sure i will be bak sometime but dont know when!

jammy

Trousers
26th-August-2006, 01:52 PM
a 'freak magnet' :rofl:

look on the brightside - opposites attract!

WittyBird
26th-August-2006, 01:54 PM
look on the brightside - opposites attract!

Yeah righto :rofl:

I did get asked while having one dance.........

HIM: 'how are your testosterone levels?'
Me: :confused:

Lynn
26th-August-2006, 03:25 PM
Actually if you look Here (http://www.ceroclondon.com/diary.htm) it would appear that Ashtons is going to become more regular :rolleyes: Good, maybe I can start off my next London weekend visit with a Fri night at Ashtons then. :D

Missy D
26th-August-2006, 05:42 PM
I had a great time last night as I nearly always do at Ashtons:clap: :clap:

Good to meet NZ Monkey, Jammy and Marty Baby - funny danced with 2 of you a few weeks ago but didnt realise you were on the forum.

So many forumites there - far too many to name but good to see you all.:hug:

Didnt get to dance with Paul F or Kev F :sad: hopefully will dance with the two 'f's next time I see them

I danced to nearly every track but will not dance to 'Rockin Robin'. Cant believe such a young woman always requests that.

Big thank you to Bob and Ian for the great music :clap: :clap:

Looking forward to the next Ashtons in a couple of weeks.:clap: :clap:

wayaay bird
26th-August-2006, 06:06 PM
What a difference a week makes. After a depressingly awful night there last Friday I had a very good time last night

:yeah:

I had a brilliant night.. Danced with lots of people i've never danced with before and i actually cant remember having one 'bad' dance!

Big :hug: to Jammy, lovely to meet you, looking forward to more dancing tonight.
Kev F and stewart38 - was nice to finally get a dance with you.
S n E cant believe i missed you again :sad:

I was surprised how quiet it actually was, was expecting it be a lot busier. Hope to have lots more nights like this.
:clap: :clap:

marty_baby
26th-August-2006, 07:57 PM
Nope

Yes - I asked you where you hidden your stash of munchies, which were not forthcoming :rolleyes: :wink:

No.. don't feel bad though :hug: I appeared to be to wearing the amazing cloak of invisibility :confused:

Yes, it's usually on the 3rd Friday of each month :)

Ah ha! I think I know who you are now! :nice:

... I'll try to grab you for a dance next time if thats ok.... tho I will hide satsumas under napkins etc next time I see you walk past! :na: