PDA

View Full Version : North West's Best Freestyle Venue

Gus
22nd-August-2006, 05:18 PM
Following on from the poll raised by DJ re London venues, thought it might be interesting to rate the best NWest venues, and why.

Donna
22nd-August-2006, 05:27 PM
Of course yours Gus. :flower: Great venue, great floor, great music and atmosphere. All you need. x

Also love Chester & Stockport.

Gus
23rd-August-2006, 09:44 AM
Also love Chester & Stockport.Must admit that Chester is also a great venue and great music. :waycool:

Donna
23rd-August-2006, 11:06 AM
Hey, we can't choose more than one on the list? :grin:

straycat
23rd-August-2006, 12:15 PM
Can't really reply to this yet, having only been to Revolution (which was fantastic) & Stockport.

I'll vote when I've been to one or two more.

Stray

Daisy Chain
23rd-August-2006, 12:15 PM
Of course yours Gus. :flower: Great venue, great floor, great music and atmosphere. All you need. x

:yeah: you forgot great men (and usually plenty of them)and nice loos (well I can only vouch for the ladies).

Daisy

(A Regular Little Flower)

Donna
23rd-August-2006, 12:22 PM
:yeah: you forgot great men (and usually plenty of them)and nice loos (well I can only vouch for the ladies).

Daisy

(A Regular Little Flower)

Nice loos? :confused: Hey they haven't even got a full length mirror, and if they did, I wouldn't have been walking around with my string higher than the waist band of my trousers. :blush: :rofl:

Daisy Chain
23rd-August-2006, 12:29 PM
Nice loos? :confused:

Compared to Stockport Town Hall and Nantwich, the loos are glorious

Daisy

(A Loo Connasewer)

Dave Hancock
23rd-August-2006, 12:35 PM
Is revolution Keith's one? If so this was a pretty awesome Wednesday night out, had also been to Chester the previous night which was allright and in the dim and distant past I really enjoyed my Northwich trips.

I'd have to say I'm not sure I'd want to choose a best as I've never had anything else but a really good night out anytime I've visited the North West.

Gus
23rd-August-2006, 12:49 PM
Coming up with a 'best' is always an odd concept. For the most part the venues up here have a very different offering in terms of facilties, enphasis on lighting, music genre, added attraction, type of dancers attracted. None of the clubs have a perfect mix so it a case of what venue makes YOU feel most at home. at least with the increased comeptition standards are gradualy rising pushing the mikey-mouse operators out.

Its a shame that Stockport has ceased to be a place for the better dancers to go (IMHO). I has focused very much on the 'middle-of-the-road' whereas I think Chester has proven to have provided the most consistent quality over the last few years.

Gus
28th-August-2006, 09:57 AM
Well, the 'mass posting' on this thread either indicates its not sparked much interest ot there aren;t many forumites in the N West :o

Clive Long
28th-August-2006, 10:50 AM
I find these "Which is the best venue", "where are the best dancers" questions utterly pointless and tedious.

Some people speak of Jango / MeltDown / Mush / Lush etc. in tones of religious reverence others say "it's full of those people who make you know where you stand in the dance pecking order". I have had some of my best dance experiences at the Jango-related events, and some of my worst.

Some people love ISH others feel it is an airless, sterile environment.

The "best" venue for beginners might include lots of non-dance factors, the smile of the person on the door, the willingness of people to dance and not make you feel judged, etc..

I love and hate Ashtons. The buzz can be great but I find it too busy when it is only two-thirds "full". Some nights I go and have a fab time others I feel like I know three moves and repeat them endlessly.

I have had some fun evenings at The Rivoli in all its camp glory - others feel it is a smoky dive full of lecherous drunks.

So how can there be a "best" venue in any area? It will vary according to lots of factors, most of them to do with what is going on in one's noodle. Why prejudice any person's dance experience by giving them a preference which is just your preference?

Clive

Gus
28th-August-2006, 11:07 AM
I find these "Which is the best venue", "where are the best dancers" questions utterly pointless and tedious.Bit harsh sir ..... I was curious as to where people like to go, and why?

Some people speak of Jango / MeltDown / Mush / Lush etc. in tones of religious reverence others say "it's full of those people who make you know where you stand in the dance pecking order". I have had some of my best dance experiences at the Jango-related events, and some of my worst.See where you are coming from but I don't think that we have the range of dancers oin the N West that you do in London. For the most part the 'where do I really like" comes down to things like, space on the dnacefloor, music played, friendliness of host/other dnacers, standard of dancers, cost.

I think that there is a fair amount of consistency in tge inidvidual venues here. If you go to venue X you KNOw what type of night will be put on. Whether you enjoy yourself can depend on what mood you are in and maybe the posse you've gone with. However, I don't think it stops you making an objective comment. There are venues I will go to because of the music and the amount of floorspace, and others I will avoid like the plauge for the same reason. Fair comment?

David Bailey
28th-August-2006, 03:50 PM
I find these "Which is the best venue", "where are the best dancers" questions utterly pointless and tedious.
"where are the best dancers"? Hmmm.... thread idea! :innocent:

(So where are they, then?)

So how can there be a "best" venue in any area? It will vary according to lots of factors, most of them to do with what is going on in one's noodle.
I disagree - taking that argument to its conclusion would remove any objective and measurable factors from the equation - for example, price, times, locations, floor, amenities, bar, and so on.

Clearly some venues are better than others in these factors, and if so, I want to know about it. I'm a big believer in the power of reviews - but they should have at least some basis in external factors.

I don't care too much what other people think about the "atmosphere", and I'm certainly not greatly influenced by who's planning to go to a place - but I still want to know what venues are like, and I just filter out the stuff that's not important to me from reviews.

Daisy Chain
28th-August-2006, 07:33 PM
"where are the best dancers"?

He's down in Cornwall and looks very much like Richard Gere :drool:

Daisy

(A Well-Impressed Little Flower)

straycat
28th-August-2006, 07:40 PM
So how can there be a "best" venue in any area? It will vary according to lots of factors, most of them to do with what is going on in one's noodle. Why prejudice any person's dance experience by giving them a preference which is just your preference?

A poll like this isn't going to give us the "definitive" best nw venue. On the other hand, it will give people like myself - not local to the nw, but who occasionally head over there & like to dance when we get there, a guide to which venues are worth visiting. If you know a better way of finding that out, other than by asking the people who dance at said venues, I'd be intrigued to hear it...

Stray

Clive Long
28th-August-2006, 07:43 PM
If you know a better way of finding that out, other than by asking the people who dance at said venues, I'd be intrigued to hear it...

Stray
Go and find out for yourself rather than relying on other people's opinion.

straycat
28th-August-2006, 07:54 PM

No. I don't have time. So I use other people's opinion as a starting point. What on earth is wrong with that? :confused:

Clive Long
28th-August-2006, 08:04 PM

No. I don't have time. So I use other people's opinion as a starting point. What on earth is wrong with that? :confused:
You might miss out on a venue that you would really like, for one or many reasons, but was not liked by the person whose opinion you asked.

David Bailey
28th-August-2006, 08:17 PM
This may be good advice if there aren't many venues to choose from.

Similarly, one could say it's better to work at improving your local venue, rather than trying to find the "best" venue elsewhere - for example, perhaps some Midlands venues would be better if more experienced Midlander dancers stayed there, rather than coming down to London regularly.

I'm not really in that camp - it's our money, we can spend it where we want - but it's not a bad argument.

However, I prefer to think that on the whole, information received about a venue is useful; I prefer it when there's a mix of opinions, but the only problem I have is when it all gets luvvy and "Thanks for the dances"-y.

straycat
28th-August-2006, 08:21 PM
You might miss out on a venue that you would really like, for one or many reasons, but was not liked by the person whose opinion you asked.

This is very true. I might. But if ten people say they love venue a, but are less fussed about venue b, the chances are that I'll have a good night at venue a. If I don't, I might give venue b a go. I'm just looking to maximise my chances of having a good night, not to comprehensively cover every single good venue...

David Bailey
28th-August-2006, 08:22 PM
I think the only thing wrong is that sometimes you see too many raves and not enough critiques.

We need more Paul F's in other words. :clap:

Or, in the Tango scene, more CeeCees to go, well, everywhere in London...

Lynn
28th-August-2006, 09:32 PM
Or, in the Tango scene, more CeeCees to go, well, everywhere in London...There is tango, there is dancing, outside of London, you know. :rolleyes:

David Bailey
29th-August-2006, 10:43 AM
There is tango, there is dancing, outside of London, you know. :rolleyes:
Well, if you want to pay her to be a roving reporting, I won't complain :)

Clive Long
29th-August-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, if you want to pay her to be a roving reporting, I won't complain :)
No, no, no. We can't lose CeeCee to the provinces.

Man the barricades.

Wedge

(it's a slow day today)

Tessalicious
29th-August-2006, 07:53 PM
I have had some fun evenings at The Rivoli in all its camp glory - others feel it is a smoky dive full of lecherous drunks.Any correlation between these two points at all? :na:

Other than that, I have to say I would agree with your point Mr Long. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is any experience unique to the experiencer.

That doesn't mean we can't tell each other of our experiences though, that's why it's a poll and not a 'first person to say their favourite venue wins'. The publicity of this poll makes it more useful than an anonymous one, since those of us who have not had the experiences to make a judgement can benefit from the information at any point and can see which venues have been picked out as good by people with similar criteria and tastes.

But, Gus - stop whining. If people want to vote, or post, they will. If they don't, they won't - I doubt that the survival of MJ in the North West relies on good reports to this forum if no-one much else there posts on here, so I wouldn't worry your head about it. The information is still there, even if the sample is smaller than the equivalent London poll was or Scottish poll might be.

Gus
29th-August-2006, 08:11 PM
But, Gus - stop whining. If people want to vote, or post, they will. If they don't, they won't - I doubt that the survival of MJ in the North West relies on good reports to this forum if no-one much else there posts on here, so I wouldn't worry your head about it.But I wasn't whining:flower: I was curious about how many forumites were in our area and where they went. Now I'm not involved any more its now just idle curiousity. I think though the Forum may be an influcer in the S East it has little impact in our area. CoolCatz is already very succesful (over 200 at the last event) so the poll maybe isn't significant .... but it would be nice to know why people prefer certain clubs.

El Salsero Gringo
29th-August-2006, 08:23 PM
.... but it would be nice to know why people prefer certain clubs.It is the influence of the Ten

David Bailey
29th-August-2006, 08:27 PM
I think though the Forum may be an influcer in the S East it has little impact in our area.
I think the Forum has an almost negligible influence, well, almost everywhere. Yes, there's loads of forumites Darn Sarf, but that's coz there's loads of dancers - and for that matter, loads of people - Darn Sarf.

There are plenty of venues in the London area which do quite nicely without much Forum publicity, such as Cheshunt - 200+ people there on an average freestyle night. Or take Finchley - 120-170 people there on an average Monday. Surbiton's been burbling away every Wednesday for ages, with an advance class, and similar or greater numbers. Conversely, Monday Melt-whatsit, whilst no doubt a lovely venue, has, what, 40 people on an average Monday?

Forumite presence is really only significant to some other forumites - otherwise I reckon it's about 2,145th on the list of most people's reasons to choose a place. Somewhere behind "Is there an 'R' in the day" as a significant factor...

It is the influence of the Ten
That'll be £5 please, you copyright-thief you.

Daisy Chain
30th-August-2006, 12:04 PM
but it would be nice to know why people prefer certain clubs.

For me it's primarily the music, but I also need competent men and enough of them.

Daisy

(An Easily Pleased Little Flower)

Donna
30th-August-2006, 12:09 PM
For me it's primarily the music, but I also need competent men and enough of them.

Daisy

I agree

Daisy Chain
30th-August-2006, 12:32 PM
I agree

Ooo, and don't forget, nice loos and a floorlength mirror are an added bonus (but I can get these at home).

Daisy

(A Toilet-Humoured Little Flower)

Donna
30th-August-2006, 12:38 PM
Ooo, and don't forget, nice loos and a floorlength mirror are an added bonus (but I can get these at home).

Daisy

(A Toilet-Humoured Little Flower)

The ones at Winsford are. Ok, the ones at Northwich aren't bad either - but they don't have a full length mirror.

Cruella
30th-August-2006, 01:02 PM
perhaps some Midlands venues would be better if more experienced Midlander dancers stayed there, rather than coming down to London regularly.

Are you trying to tell us Midlanders something David? (Not that we'd take any notice anyway):na:
The reason some of us travel to London for our freestyles is because of the greater proportion of experienced dancer compared to locally. Also the fact that dancers travel from lots of places within a few hours radius of London. So i can go and dance with people from Brighton, Kent ......etc without having to tour Britain. Do you honestly think we'd spend time and money travelling regularly to the smoke if we didn't need to. The reason most Midlanders will attend the Daventry (by the way that's local :rolleyes: )freestyles is because it draws people from all over so we get to dance with different faces.
When i first moved here, i loved dancing locally but i think the dancing becomes stale if you dance with the same people all the time. I'm pretty sure that if i hadn't moved around so much and danced in alot of different areas i would have got bored and given up dance.
Back on thread, i loved Stockport and the one time i went to Nantwich didn't enjoy myself. So i haven't voted because i haven't experienced any of the other venues. Sorry Gus.
Donna, stop talking about mirrors, do you never learn!

Clive Long
30th-August-2006, 01:09 PM

Daisy

I've been described as incompetent but enthusiastic.

Will that do for a start?

Wedge

El Salsero Gringo
30th-August-2006, 01:10 PM
...lso the fact that dancers travel from lots of places within a few hours circumference of London....I think you mean a few hours radius of London.

Cruella
30th-August-2006, 01:13 PM
I think you mean a few hours radius of London.

That's what i said! :whistle:

El Salsero Gringo
30th-August-2006, 01:23 PM
That's what i said! :whistle:Next time I'm minded to be helpful, remind me to wait 15 minutes first.

Gus
30th-August-2006, 01:32 PM
Back on thread, i loved Stockport and the one time i went to Nantwich didn't enjoy myself. So i haven't voted because i haven't experienced any of the other venues. Sorry Gus.Hey nothing to be sorry about ... u could just vote for Stockport. Few people will have been to all the venues. I'm in the area and havent been to the Nantwich, Sandbach or Knutsford freestyles. I'm a little surprised that no-one has voted for Chester as they've been the most consistent freestyle venue over the last 3 years and ALWAYS sell out :)

Geordieed
30th-August-2006, 01:47 PM
That's what i said! :whistle:

One woman's circumference is another man's radius...

Cruella
30th-August-2006, 01:56 PM
One woman's circumference is another man's radius...

Radius = Straight line, Bone :whistle:

Circumference = distance around

Keep your distance around me, if you're exposing your Radius!

fletch
30th-August-2006, 02:41 PM
I want to change my vote to

Knutsford

Is circumference the same as girth :innocent:

Cruella
30th-August-2006, 02:49 PM
Is circumference the same as girth :innocent:

IMO Pretty much, but i'm sure ESG will know more!

Cruella
30th-August-2006, 03:00 PM
Next time I'm minded to be helpful, remind me to wait 15 minutes first.

Oh yeah, i'm sure you were being helpful not pedantic!

David Bailey
30th-August-2006, 03:16 PM
Are you trying to tell us Midlanders something David? (Not that we'd take any notice anyway):na:
I'm just noting that a lot of experienced dancers from outside areas, such as the Midlands, seem to spend a lot of time dancing in the London area on weekends - I don't think there's much controversy there, I think it's pretty much an established fact.

But this means that the average level of experience at local venues, without such experienced dancers, will probably be lower - so harder to nurture a local pool of experienced dancers when somewhere like London is relatively nearby.

Do you honestly think we'd spend time and money travelling regularly to the smoke if we didn't need to. The reason most Midlanders will attend the Daventry (by the way that's local :rolleyes: )freestyles is because it draws people from all over so we get to dance with different faces.
I didn't say I agreed with the argument, I just put it forth.

Do experienced dancers have some responsibility to help develop local talent? Yes, I think they do.

Should that responsibility be their overriding factor in deciding where to dance? No, I don't think it should - it's supposed to be fun, you've got to learn too, and it's your money & time in the end.

Cruella
30th-August-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm just noting that a lot of experienced dancers from outside areas, such as the Midlands, seem to spend a lot of time dancing in the London area on weekends - I don't think there's much controversy there, I think it's pretty much an established fact.
You are correct, there does seem alot of Midlanders that come to London to dance, could it be because The Midlands does cover an awfully big area?

But this means that the average level of experience at local venues, without such experienced dancers, will probably be lower - so harder to nurture a local pool of experienced dancers when somewhere like London is relatively nearby.
I don't call a 2 hour journey 'relatively nearby'. I'm sure that if the Midlanders that came down decided to all dance locally, it wouldn't actually make that much difference because our 'local' venues would all be different.

Do experienced dancers have some responsibility to help develop local talent? Yes, I think they do.
Why?

Should that responsibility be their overriding factor in deciding where to dance? No, I don't think it should - it's supposed to be fun, you've got to learn too, and it's your money & time in the end.
Absolutely.

fletch
30th-August-2006, 03:32 PM
one could say it's better to work at improving your local venue, rather than trying to find the "best" venue elsewhere - for example, perhaps some Midlands venues would be better if more experienced Midlander dancers stayed there, rather than coming down to London regularly.

I agree to some extent, that's why wherever possible I will support Midlands venues that are truing to give 'the punter' what we a re looking for. i.e. Knutsford and Bromsgrove 't' dance also Debbie Atwood at Kidderminster. I felt I had no alternative but to travel to find music and dancers that inspire me. London has got that, but talking lots of people at London venues they also travel to get there.

Lory
30th-August-2006, 03:33 PM
Also, the fact that dancers travel from lots of places within a few hours radius of London. So i can go and dance with people from Brighton, Kent ......etc without having to tour Britain.

Is it just me then? ....Because I go to lots of different venues in and around London but always seem to see and dance with the the same faces :confused:

Cruella
30th-August-2006, 03:39 PM
Is it just me then? ....Because I go to lots of different venues in and around London but always seem to see and dance with the the same faces :confused:

So how about people such as Chef, Under Par, Minnie M......i believe they travel in to london.

fletch
30th-August-2006, 03:42 PM

Do you walk around asking lots of people to dance? :confused:

or do you look for people you know? :flower:

I look for new people especially if they look a bit different :really: :na:

:D

Lory
30th-August-2006, 03:54 PM
So how about people such as Chef, Under Par, Minnie M......i believe they travel in to london.Yes they do but i'm 'used' to seeing them in London. It makes no difference to me, where they're from, its still all the same faces, if you see what I mean?

(i'm not entirely sure i'm making any sense here :rofl: ... I'll have to come back, when I collected my thoughts :rolleyes: :blush: )

Do you walk around asking lots of people to dance? :confused:

or do you look for people you know? :flower:

I look for new people especially if they look a bit different :really: :na:

Believe me, I get all excited if I see a new toy... oops, I mean face! :wink:

David Bailey
30th-August-2006, 04:31 PM
You are correct, there does seem alot of Midlanders that come to London to dance, could it be because The Midlands does cover an awfully big area?
Only about the same amount of people as London though - and much less than SE England. I don't hear much about the hordes of Londoners descending on the Midlands, generally.

I don't call a 2 hour journey 'relatively nearby'.
me neither - 30 minutes is usually my max driving distance. 5-15 minutes is my preference :)

I'm sure that if the Midlanders that came down decided to all dance locally, it wouldn't actually make that much difference because our 'local' venues would all be different.
Dunno - no idea about numbers, or how many local venues there are in the Midlands. But I think the right few good dancers can definitely make or break a venue, providing that elusive "atmosphere" factor.

Re: responsibility to nurture local talent:

Why?
Well, why help anyone to improve?

Because, apart from being a Good Thing To Do, it means you'll get better dancers at the end of it, who'll remember that you helped them on their way up, and will give you a better dance experience.

As I said, I don't think that factor should be the only consideration - in the end, you go where you want, and we pay taxi dancers and teachers to do this sort of thing. But if you don't try to improve your local venue, you can't complain too loudly if your venue is pants.

Of course, if you've spent 5 years swimming against the flow to get your local dancers to stop bouncing, to get your local teachers to talk about leading, to get your local DJ to stop playing pap - fair enough, there's no helping some people.

Cruella
30th-August-2006, 04:45 PM
Dunno - no idea about numbers, or how many local venues there are in the Midlands. But I think the right few good dancers can definitely make or break a venue, providing that elusive "atmosphere" factor.
In the Ceroc Central area alone there are 17 towns with venues, alot of which run more than one night.(there are other franchises too within the Midlands area) At a guess i'd say you would probably only get one of those experienced travelling dancers at any one venue if they stayed local.

But if you don't try to improve your local venue, you can't complain too loudly if your venue is pants.

Of course, if you've spent 5 years swimming against the flow to get your local dancers to stop bouncing, to get your local teachers to talk about leading, to get your local DJ to stop playing pap - fair enough, there's no helping some people.
I've been dancing MJ for nearly 10 years so i guess the fact that i've only travelled to London for the last 18 months says i've paid my dues in this respect.:devil:

Chef
30th-August-2006, 05:05 PM
We do seem to be a long way off of the subject of the thread. But since we are ..here goes.

I travel to a small number of places in London when I can because I rate them as being exceptionally good in terms of their standard of teaching and music. Considering the large number of possible dance nights operating in the whole of London then to have only five that I would rate highly enough to make the long journey might seem like a bit of a failure for London.

As I spent more time dancing my tastes have become more specialised and I have had to travel further afield to find places that satisfy those tastes. It is a happy coincidence that when I have found these more niche oriented venues that I have also found a larger concentration of highly talented dancers with whom I could dance.

I also used to travel the opposite way, down to Brighton because a very talented teacher, Viktor Andeke, used to teach there each week. Shortly I will be travelling to Southport, not because there is any shortage of dance weekenders on the south coast but because, for me, it is the best dance weekender around and that justifys the long and tiring journey.

Only about the same amount of people as London though - and much less than SE England. I don't hear much about the hordes of Londoners descending on the Midlands, generally.

If you put something really, really good in the midlands then people will travel long distances to get to it. Look at the Sunday nights at Berkhampstead. I know lots of people that travel really long distances to get to it and they do so because it offers something that they value that they cannot get locally.

The key thing is that if it is really good then people will make the effort to travel further in order to get to it and that as people get better they are less satisfied with the ordinary. That is why the best dancers end up travelling to the niche venues.

Absolutely true. There's no helping some people. But it won't take me 5 years to work that one out. The concentration of dance venues even out here in Kent is so high there really isn't any reason to put up with the ordinary.

As for hanging around to train your local dancers to stop bouncing etc, I have always found that the ones that will take any notice of what you say will seek you out. When the student is ready they seek out the teacher.

Weekenders always seem to be a turning point for dancers. Once they have experienced the quality of dancers and music there they are often deeply unsatisfied with what is on offer locally. That is when their relationship with motorways enters a new phase. Then they start getting picky about which weekender they will go to.

Cruella
30th-August-2006, 05:40 PM
If you put something really, really good in the midlands then people will travel long distances to get to it.

Look at the Daventry freestyles as i mentioned before. Lots of people travel to them. I believe even Sir David came to the Polar Freezestyle!

robd
30th-August-2006, 06:09 PM
I've been dancing MJ for nearly 10 years so i guess the fact that i've only travelled to London for the last 18 months says i've paid my dues in this respect.:devil:

So only another 7 years before London sees the back of you then? :devil:

Cruella
30th-August-2006, 06:41 PM

:na: You'll have to wait even longer though!

David Bailey
30th-August-2006, 08:06 PM
Look at the Daventry freestyles as i mentioned before. Lots of people travel to them. I believe even Sir David came to the Polar Freezestyle!
Indeed - I've been to Daventry twice, and very nice times they were too :)

Daisy Chain
30th-August-2006, 08:19 PM

Wedge

Not really *sigh* .......................... *perks up* Are you gorgeous instead?

Daisy

(A Shallow Little Flower)

Daisy Chain
30th-August-2006, 08:21 PM
I want to change my vote to

Knutsford

Nah. Way too many women (Great music though and exceedingly competent men......assuming you can get your hands on one)

Daisy

(A Peeved Little Wallflower)

Clive Long
30th-August-2006, 11:45 PM

Wedge

Not really *sigh* .......................... *perks up* Are you gorgeous instead?

Daisy

(A Shallow Little Flower)
Not for me to say, really.

Tell you what, knock up a poll to (as Gus might say) "take the temperature of the Forum" and find out if I am considered gorgeous.

Wodge

Chef
31st-August-2006, 10:25 AM
me neither - 30 minutes is usually my max driving distance. 5-15 minutes is my preference :)

Indeed - I've been to Daventry twice, and very nice times they were too :)

So Daventry is 30 minutes driving time from Norf London? I must get my map out and remind myself where Daventry is.

Unless of course it illustrates my point that if you put together something really good/different/niche then people (even DavidJames) will travel out of their comfort travelling distance to get to it.

I am not really sure that the problem in the Midlands is as bad as people have been saying. On one hand I have heard that there are few really good places to dance there and yet the same people tell me that this or that place is really good and that I should travel up for the weekend to go. It seems to me that people give up thinking about travelling to a place if it takes 2 hours each way to get to it (weekend fixtures). Of course this means that I can travel the 75 miles from East sussex to get to Hipsters while driving for the same time in London itself can mean your range is limited to 8 miles.

David Bailey
31st-August-2006, 10:37 AM
So Daventry is 30 minutes driving time from Norf London? I must get my map out and remind myself where Daventry is.
I never said I drove there - chauffeured, both times :)

WittyBird
31st-August-2006, 12:14 PM
I never said I drove there - chauffeured, both times :)

45 Mins it took me :na:

fletch
11th-September-2006, 02:11 PM
45 Mins it took me :na:

Is that after we put the correct post code in the 'tom tom' :na:

:rofl:

jiveaddicted
20th-September-2006, 11:01 AM
Havent made it to any of them yet but they are all now officially on my hitlist so watch out i may be hitting a venue near you very soon :devil:

fletch
27th-September-2006, 07:57 AM
Havent made it to any of them yet but they are all now officially on my hitlist so watch out i may be hitting a venue near you very soon :devil:

Knutsford is on Saturday :clap:

Keith
27th-September-2006, 04:12 PM
Nah. Way too many women (Great music though and exceedingly competent men......assuming you can get your hands on one)

Daisy

(A Peeved Little Wallflower)

Hello 'Peeved Little Wallflower', would you prefer a greater number of lesser male dancers, or a slightly smaller number of better male dancers?
We are honestly trying to rectify this problem, but I was at Bowden last night and there were around 80 dancers with a split of 30 - 50 approx but they didn't have the experienced male dancers we get at Knutsford.

So far we have put a Male workshop on and are presently running a School of Excellence to try & not only improve the dancers, but also attract more men.

The only other way is for you ladies to drag some male dancers along with you. Seriously though, if anyone knows of a way of getting more male dancers then please send me a PM.

Please say Hi, as I'm not sure from your forum name who you are, sorry :blush:

fletch
27th-September-2006, 04:25 PM
slightly smaller number of better male dancers?

The only other way is for you ladies to drag some male dancers along with you.

Please say Hi, as I'm not sure from your forum name who you are,

I would rather have better dnacers but I neaver seem to struggle for a dance :grin: I think i just look keen :na:

say hi to me aslo i'm not sure if we have met :flower:

And Don't worry girls BARMPOT will be there :D

Donna
27th-September-2006, 04:45 PM
I would rather have better dnacers but I neaver seem to struggle for a dance :grin: I think i just look keen :na:

say hi to me aslo i'm not sure if we have met :flower:

And Don't worry girls BARMPOT will be there :D

Who is BARMPOT?

Daisy Chain
27th-September-2006, 09:00 PM
would you prefer a greater number of lesser male dancers, or a slightly smaller number of better male dancers? More lesser, I guess. No point having less of the better ones as the more predatory women will just spend all night swapping them on the dance floor :( Perhaps we really need some sort of queuing system for the women?

We are honestly trying to rectify this problem, but I was at Bowden last night and there were around 80 dancers with a split of 30 - 50 approx but they didn't have the experienced male dancers we get at Knutsford But there seemed to be enough to go round and I managed to have some really nice ones. There were some dark horses out there..

The only other way is for you ladies to drag some male dancers along with you. Seriously though, if anyone knows of a way of getting more male dancers then please send me a PM. Pay them? Clone the good ones? Kidnap them from Bath - there are so many FABULOUS men down there, they won't miss a few dozen. I can give you descriptions.

Please say Hi, as I'm not sure from your forum name who you are, sorry :blush: You need to look out for a tubby little redhead

As you can see, I'm not at Knutsford tonight so that's 1 less extra woman for you

Daisy

(A Defeated Little Wallflower)

Dazzler
27th-September-2006, 09:23 PM
If you are looking for guys to dance with.....i stay up in inverness normally passing xxxx at 7:30am or xxxxx at 12 noon then am always near xxxxx around 6ish so if anyone were to want to come and steal me to go dance down south :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Daisy Chain
27th-September-2006, 09:27 PM
If you are looking for guys to dance with.....i stay up in inverness normally passing xxxx at 7:30am or xxxxx at 12 noon then am always near xxxxx around 6ish so if anyone were to want to come and steal me to go dance down south :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Are you any good?

Daisy

(A Fussy Little Flower)

Keith
28th-September-2006, 02:27 AM
As you can see, I'm not at Knutsford tonight so that's 1 less extra woman for you

Daisy

(A Defeated Little Wallflower)

Sorry my little wall flower, we had 90+ in the Int/Adv class & it was exactly 50/50 I can only guess your message worked! (It's the truth as well) :nice:
Hope to see you on Sat & have that dance :flower:

fletch
28th-September-2006, 07:50 AM
Who is BARMPOT?

I will introduce you :devil:

Cruella
28th-September-2006, 08:02 AM

That'll be a match made in heaven! :D

fletch
28th-September-2006, 08:40 AM
That'll be a match made in heaven! :D

It will Janey a rest :wink:

:innocent:

Daisy Chain
28th-September-2006, 12:21 PM
Sorry my little wall flower, we had 90+ in the Int/Adv class & it was exactly 50/50 I can only guess your message worked! (It's the truth as well) :nice:

Hope to see you on Sat

Glad to be of service. But I'm still not coming. All the local women will have seen your reply and will flock to Kford for Saturday's freestyle

Daisy

(A Despondent Little Flower)

Donna
28th-September-2006, 12:36 PM

What does the :devil: mean? Should I be looking forward to this then... or perhaps not? :grin:

Keith
28th-September-2006, 12:38 PM
Glad to be of service. But I'm still not coming. All the local women will have seen your reply and will flock to Kford for Saturday's freestyle

Daisy

(A Despondent Little Flower)

Hey Cheeky,
As it stands 38 men 48 women pre booked & you know what guys are like for leaving it till the last minute! Last month we had around 20 men & 40+ women pre booked at this time & ended up with almost 150 mixed, so hopefully this time it should be closer to evens. :clap:

Hope to see you soon,
Keith x

Donna
28th-September-2006, 02:36 PM
Hey Cheeky,

& you know what guys are like for leaving it till the last minute!

hmmmph! Tell me about it! :what: I think guys are worse than us today!

Paul F
28th-September-2006, 09:27 PM
My only choice would be Northwich and Cool Catz as I never got round to going to Knutsford.

I did like Winsford though but maybe that was just because I really really liked the venue.

Gus
28th-September-2006, 10:59 PM
My only choice would be Northwich and Cool Catz as I never got round to going to Knutsford.

I did like Winsford though but maybe that was just because I really really liked the venue.Winsford is probably the best venue in the North. I know that Louise is looking to host more events there, including a Ball :grin: .

Personal view is that of the 'Mass Market' type events, Chester and Northwich lead by a long way . I KNOW I'm biased .. but they both get the numbers. However, the new Cool Catz model and music is more suited to the mass market, whereas the original Cool Catz events were smaller, more focused events. I think that the new Revolutions events at Knutsford (Cool Catz'z old base) are nearer in concept to Cool Catz's origins than Northwich is, playing music for a more discerning (more experienced?) dancers and I wish them every success. They are very succesfull and shows that there is a market for the smaller, more focussed operators.

Its a shame that the bigger events can't persue the same music policy. As a DJ, it can more fun to play sets that are a bit more 'out there' than having to cater to the tastes of a more widespread crowd.

DavidY
29th-September-2006, 04:59 PM
Hey Cheeky,
As it stands 38 men 48 women pre booked & you know what guys are like for leaving it till the last minute! Last month we had around 20 men & 40+ women pre booked at this time & ended up with almost 150 mixed, so hopefully this time it should be closer to evens. :clap:

Hope to see you soon,
Keith xHmm. I have something else to do in Brum earlier tomorrow evening, so won't know if Knutsford is even feasible until the last minute, and would certainly arrive late.

Presumably there's a risk that it could be full (it's too far for me to go if I'm going to get turned away:tears: ) so should I even consider it?

A leaving-it-till-the-last-minute kind of guy.

Keith
29th-September-2006, 05:23 PM
Hmm. I have something else to do in Brum earlier tomorrow evening, so won't know if Knutsford is even feasible until the last minute, and would certainly arrive late.

Presumably there's a risk that it could be full (it's too far for me to go if I'm going to get turned away:tears: ) so should I even consider it?

A leaving-it-till-the-last-minute kind of guy.

Afternoon,
No prob's, if you want me to leave your name on the door to guarantee entry, if you're not there by 10 we'll let someone else in from the cold!
We've now got 93 pre-booked/paid, so I'm sure we'll get another 70 on the night or phoning tomorrow. :rolleyes: Better safe than sorry.
It's going to be another great night, hopefully we'll see you there.
:cheers:

Donna
29th-September-2006, 06:24 PM
Afternoon,
No prob's, if you want me to leave your name on the door to guarantee entry, if you're not there by 10 we'll let someone else in from the cold!
We've now got 93 pre-booked/paid, so I'm sure we'll get another 70 on the night or phoning tomorrow. :rolleyes: Better safe than sorry.
It's going to be another great night, hopefully we'll see you there.
:cheers:

eh? you have to book this time??? :what: Keith? Make that 95 please! :clap:

Keith
29th-September-2006, 06:31 PM

Hi Donna,
For you no problem, we have now officially reached over 100! :D

Keith
29th-September-2006, 06:34 PM
Don't forget guys we have the all girl Troupe doing 2 numbers before they take London by Storm. :whistle:
They will be sticking around for a little while if you want to show them some MJ :eek:

Donna
29th-September-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi Donna,
For you no problem, we have now officially reached over 100! :D

:clap: to me for making that possible!:wink: :rofl:

CJ
30th-September-2006, 05:33 AM

Well, it is her best side.:whistle: :whistle:

fletch
30th-September-2006, 07:32 AM

oooooo you will be in for it now CJ :na:

Cruella
30th-September-2006, 11:08 AM

oooooo you will be in for it now CJ :na:

He's just sore cos i wouldn't come out to play last night.:rolleyes:
As you like that side of me so much CJ, i'll make sure you get to see it lots on sunday. :whistle:

Blueshoes
30th-September-2006, 12:40 PM

Look forward to a dance with you tonight at Knutsford then Donna ;)

fletch
30th-September-2006, 02:26 PM

just found this :blush:

male and yes :wink:

save me a dance and my 12 year old :worthy:

CJ
30th-September-2006, 02:30 PM
He's just sore cos i wouldn't come out to play last night.:rolleyes:
As you like that side of me so much CJ, i'll make sure you get to see it lots on sunday. :whistle:

Your conversation has always had me riveted: I'm assuming this is whence you speak most of the time??

fletch
30th-September-2006, 02:39 PM

Perhaps you could cook him lunch :clap:

Your conversation has always had me riveted: I'm assuming this is whence you speak most of the time??

will you be wearing a kilt CJ :worthy:

TheTramp
30th-September-2006, 04:45 PM
will you be wearing a kilt CJ :worthy:

Have you ever seen him in anything else?

dance cat
30th-September-2006, 05:48 PM
Winsford is probably the best venue in the North. I know that Louise is looking to host more events there, including a Ball :grin: .

I really don't get the fascination with Winsford. It's in the back of beyond, the parking is not great and the amount of broken glass lying around is off putting. It takes as long to get to as it does to Chester and Chester's further away and for me as a venue Winsford lacks atmosphere.

fletch
1st-October-2006, 09:12 AM
Morning all, just got up after a night at Knutsford. :nice:

always end on a positive note no bad bits first......

I had the kids with me, no I don't mean it. :wink: :hug:

Keith I was thinking about what you said regarding the tables and chairs, how about chairs around the edge with tables dotted in-between for people to put there drinks on, bags under the chairs coats on the back of the chairs or If you don't like that idea take out two rows out giving the tables and chairs left more access, you just couldn't get in and when you were in you were trapped and couldn't get out.:really:

Your a victim of your own successes :worthy:

when I looked around the people there were a good cross section of dancer but all were keen to dance,:clap: so it seemed to me when they weren't dancing they were around the edge of the floor looking like they wanted to dance, there weren't many people sitting around chatting, some but not many.:what:

That's it for me on the negatives.:flower:

Now the good bits.:grin:

The music was lovely, good mixed and it worked well, I even got the 'snake' on right at the end.:respect:

The floor was packed but what can you expect every one was there to dance.

The cabaret didn't impact on the freestyle time and the children loved it, it also gave me time for a chit chat.:blush:

I would like to thank you for letting me bring the children and thank all the men and ladies that danced with them, especially DavidY who had more than one dance with Maddy.:cheers:

Looks like I have crated a monster all the way home I had, when's it on next, can we go, did you dance with that man??? you know the one, ooooooo goodness I have created a mini me.:D

Lovely night well done Keith and Janey, you must have been working really hard didn't see you both dancing, I had Joe on camera watch.:waycool:

Photo's to follow :hug:

fletch
1st-October-2006, 09:23 AM
You will see from the photo's who my Joe thought was lovely :love:

Sue ....I hope i'm not sure if her name is Suki or Sue :blush:

Donna will be able to tell us :cheers:

anyway fab top :respect:

fletch
1st-October-2006, 09:27 AM
CerocJock is this the young lady you danced with at Southport in your dare:confused:

She does remember dancing two tracks back to back with you, but she doesn't remember the second been any different from the first :rofl:

fletch
1st-October-2006, 09:29 AM
Donna's ......Ste

fletch
1st-October-2006, 09:31 AM
gosh I look happy with red eye :eek:

fletch
1st-October-2006, 09:35 AM
Me and DavidY :flower:

Lory
1st-October-2006, 09:40 AM
gosh I look happy with red eye :eek:

Ooh very sultry! :na: Who's the guy? :wink:

fletch
1st-October-2006, 09:40 AM
OK .....its guess the forumtie, hear are the clues. :flower:

After Joining 5 days ago he has posted 41 times 9.31 per day.

Lives in Manchester

and has started 2 Treads

He want's to keep his identity a secret but I know who he is ...:rolleyes: ..so the chances of that are? :na:

fletch
1st-October-2006, 09:43 AM
Ooh very sultry! :na: Who's the guy? :wink:

Nothing to do with me i'm afraid its Sue/Suki's guy :worthy:

They competed at Hammersmith this year :respect:

He's lovvvvverly :drool: but they make a fab couple :awe:

Cruella
1st-October-2006, 09:45 AM
OK .....its guess the forumtie, hear are the clues. :flower:

After Joining 5 days ago he has posted 41 times 9.31 per day.

Lives in Manchester

and has started 2 Treads

He want's to keep his identity a secret but I know who he is ...:rolleyes: ..so the chances of that are? :na:

Der, does he where Blueshoes by any chance? :whistle:

DavidY
1st-October-2006, 09:47 AM
Sue ....I hope i'm not sure if her name is Suki or Sue :blush: I don't know how to spell it properly, or even phonetically:blush: , but her name sounds something like "Soong-ghee" or "Sung-ghee"
anyway fab top :respect:fab dancer too...

fletch
1st-October-2006, 09:51 AM
Der, does he where Blueshoes by any chance? :whistle:

I couldn't posserbly be persuaded to say :wink:

I don't know how to spell it properly, or even phonetically:blush: , but her name sounds something like "Soong-ghee" or "Sung-ghee"fab dancer too...

so Sue sounds good to me then :blush:

and yes she is to watch so I should imagine she is good to dance with :worthy:

dance cat
1st-October-2006, 01:22 PM
Have to agree with Fletch about how great last night was at Knutsford. :clap: The atmosphere was really friendly and the music was excellent. The DJ is from Chester and you can look forward to the same great standard of music on Monday's class nights too. I'm sorry to say to Daisy Chain that the balance of men to women was good too. I really enjoyed it and you could tell a great deal of planning and attention to detail had gone into the event.

Blueshoes
1st-October-2006, 04:20 PM

Sorry Donna, never did get the dance, :( you were too busy with Steve for me to get a look in. Maybe next time.........

Donna
2nd-October-2006, 01:36 PM
Sorry Donna, never did get the dance, :( you were too busy with Steve for me to get a look in. Maybe next time.........

Awwwww I'm so sorry! Have a big :hug: Yeah we spent most of our time in the blues/latin room, as er, there was more room. I was tempted to put my dance shoes back on when you asked but had to leave early as had a ballroom lesson Sunday morning - back at Manchester (still bloody knackered now!) Will catch you next time I see you though.

Donna
2nd-October-2006, 01:37 PM
Have to agree with Fletch about how great last night was at Knutsford. :clap: The atmosphere was really friendly and the music was excellent. The DJ is from Chester and you can look forward to the same great standard of music on Monday's class nights too.

Yep! What a great night it was. As for neil (the DJ) I didn't recognise him at first! Gosh he lost loads of weight! :eek:

TheTramp
2nd-October-2006, 04:42 PM

It's ok. She wouldn't dance with me either last time I saw her.... :yum:

Donna
2nd-October-2006, 05:24 PM
It's ok. She wouldn't dance with me either last time I saw her.... :yum:

:yummy: That's not fair! :tears: I was feeling unwell at Blackpool and sat down for a while. When I got back up to find you, women were just throwing themselves all over you and I didn't get a chance! :sad:

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 04:27 PM
I know it's not a freestyle venue but Prestwich was excellent last night!

dance cat
3rd-October-2006, 08:56 PM
tell me- was George teaching and was there at least one drop taught:rofl: :rofl:

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 09:01 PM
George doesn't teach there any more, it was Stuart last night, and no drops taught. There was also a tango demo which I enjoyed watching. :)

dance cat
3rd-October-2006, 09:15 PM
My God! Pick me up off the floor. :rofl: How long have I been stuck working and not dancing?? That would explain why he's so often at Bowdon or have I got that wrong too?

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 10:52 PM
George has opened his own venue in Sale on a Wednesday night, I've not seen him for a while at Bowden.

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 10:57 PM
George has opened his own venue in Sale on a Wednesday evening, I've not seen him teach at Bowdon for a while now.

Gus
4th-October-2006, 10:59 AM
George has opened his own venue in Sale on a Wednesday night, I've not seen him for a while at Bowden.Ahem ... he was there last night ... and the last time I went (whch was several months ago). From how quiet it was its clear to see where a lot of Keith's dancers are coming from.:whistle: Think the music would also have something to do with it :(

Re drops at Prestwich. Been 4 times in the last 18 months, seen 4 drops, two of them I would have been hard pushed to teach in a workshop environment. Some things never change!

Blueshoes
4th-October-2006, 11:40 AM
Ahem ... George was there last night ... and the last time I went (whch was several months ago).

Now I come to think of it maybe I haven't seen George at Bowdon because I haven't been there for a while myself............ :blush:

Blueshoes
5th-October-2006, 12:45 AM
Just back from the Wednesday evening dance at Knutsford. Good teaching:) , good music:) , good dancers:) , good atmosphere:) , why can't they all be like this????

TheTramp
5th-October-2006, 07:55 AM
Well. For 2 reasons....

Firstly, if they were all like that, then we wouldn't appreciate them as much.

And secondly, if they were all like that, we'd have nothing to moan about.

:whistle:

straycat
5th-October-2006, 12:00 PM
And secondly, if they were all like that, we'd have nothing to moan about.

I think you underestimate human determination. We can always find something to moan about...

Gus
5th-October-2006, 04:44 PM
Revolution Jive provides a welcome change from the run of the mill MJ clubs, but they all have a role to play. The hope is that the 'standard' MJ clubs can absorb what is usefull for them and raise their standard. It would be nice to see more 'Revolution' clubs in other areas. Viva la difference :)

fletch
5th-October-2006, 05:06 PM
It would be nice to see more 'Revolution' clubs in other areas. Viva la difference :)

:yeah: