PDA

View Full Version : North of England Blues Champs - 2006

Gus
20th-August-2006, 04:53 PM
...And in a close final the winners were....
Karl and Holly :respect: ! (aka formuite Karlhudds).

There should have been even more hot competition but the current Ceroc (Adv) Champs managed to be LATE ... as usual.:rolleyes:

Was a good night last night, over 200 dancers and some good interest in the Blues competition. Its a shame we don't have more Blues events up North to get critical mass. Hoping to play a lot more Blues at our next Northwich freestyle :)

Donna
23rd-August-2006, 05:08 PM
...And in a close final the winners were....
Karl and Holly :respect: ! (aka formuite Karlhudds).

Well done Karl and Holly!! :clap:

There should have been even more hot competition but the current Ceroc (Adv) Champs managed to be LATE ... as usual.:rolleyes:

Me? Late? :innocent: hey, if I was the one that was driving, I'd have been there from the beginning, and the same goes for any dance night) yeah, I was upset about missing it too. :tears: sorry about that. :hug:

you guys take a lot longer than us girls to get ready nowadays. :(

Was a good night last night, over 200 dancers and some good interest in the Blues competition. Its a shame we don't have more Blues events up North to get critical mass. Hoping to play a lot more Blues at our next Northwich freestyle :)

i reckon we should have more comps up this way. :yeah: & playing more blues sounds like a good idea - something most dancers up here should be getting into.

straycat
23rd-August-2006, 05:13 PM
Hoping to play a lot more Blues at our next Northwich freestyle :)

Yes please :waycool:

Gus
23rd-August-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes please :waycool:Well, I've got a whole range of trad Blues to play, of the like of BB King, Little Joe Hilton etc. as well as some interesting Country Blues. If I'm feeling brave I've got some slower Mambo and Latin to throw into the mix ... hey, whats the worst that can happen? :rolleyes: (.... famous last words etc.)

straycat
23rd-August-2006, 05:44 PM
Well, I've got a whole range of trad Blues to play, of the like of BB King, Little Joe Hilton etc. as well as some interesting Country Blues. If I'm feeling brave I've got some slower Mambo and Latin to throw into the mix ... hey, whats the worst that can happen? :rolleyes: (.... famous last words etc.)

More into nice slow blues (rather than the faster bouncy stuff, eg Blues Bros - always found that a bit dull to dance to). Slower mambo and latin sounds like a great idea...

Not that I'm trying to dictate your playlist or anything :whistle:

Donna
23rd-August-2006, 05:47 PM
Nobody could possibly dictate Gus's playlist! :what: It's spot on!

There is only one DJ up here though which most people try dictating his playlist (me included:devil: ) & you know who I'm talking about don't you Gus? :devil: )

straycat
23rd-August-2006, 05:56 PM
Nobody could possibly dictate Gus's playlist! :what: It's spot on!

There is only one DJ up here though which most people try dictating his playlist (me included:devil: ) & you know who I'm talking about don't you Gus? :devil: )

I know - ignore me - I was just being contrary.

Gus
23rd-August-2006, 06:01 PM
Not that I'm trying to dictate your playlist or anything :whistle:Please feel free. Its funny, when I started (back in the days when my back up sound source was a cassette deck rather than an iPod) I was always paranoidly keen to get customer feedback. After a few years I listened more to other DJs and myslef and set out with a mission to 'educate' the unwashed masses (:blush: ). Now gone the full circle and getting more interested in what the 'dancer on the floor' wants .... though still trying to bring some of the lesser known artists to the playlists.

Starting to get a new apprecaition of the 'older' tracks, e.g. trad Blues, Mambo and Mowtown/Soul. Not my area of expertise but managed to find some nice tracks that may or may not work. One of the advantages of being a more established DJ is that you can take more risks ... and hopefully be forgiven when some of them fail to set the floor alight (like Percy Welsh failed to do on saturday :( )

OXO'S
23rd-August-2006, 06:04 PM
I couldnt agree more to blues freestyles mixed with latin and chilled music.
The problem is alot of people have got a fear factor for this style of dancing,i danced for the first time in the london area at funky lush teadance 2 weeks ago,and it was a excellant afternoon.
I have got to the stage where i wanted to take dancing that way because of the music which i only get the chance to play at the weekenders,camber and breeze shortly.
So people around the mids and north etc that i know who like blues have no venues to go.You can tell they want to do blues by the nos that watch around the dancefloor ie southport.

straycat
23rd-August-2006, 06:18 PM
Please feel free. Its funny, when I started (back in the days when my back up sound source was a cassette deck rather than an iPod) I was always paranoidly keen to get customer feedback. After a few years I listened more to other DJs and myslef and set out with a mission to 'educate' the unwashed masses (:blush: ). Now gone the full circle and getting more interested in what the 'dancer on the floor' wants .... though still trying to bring some of the lesser known artists to the playlists.

Mmm. Got to be a hard one, getting that balance right - even as one of the unwashed masses :wink: I do appreciate the difficulties (and will probably appreciate them a whole lot more come the New Year)

Starting to get a new apprecaition of the 'older' tracks, e.g. trad Blues, Mambo and Mowtown/Soul. Not my area of expertise but managed to find some nice tracks that may or may not work. One of the advantages of being a more established DJ is that you can take more risks ... and hopefully be forgiven when some of them fail to set the floor alight (like Percy Welsh failed to do on saturday :( )

The risks are definitely appreciated. I've been hearing some gorgeous songs on the dancefloor in recent months which must've seemed pretty risky at the start... Mind you - my list of "Songs Which I'd Love To Dance To But I Still Can't Imagine Anyone Risking Playing Them" is growing fairly rapidly as well, but I imagine most of us've got one of them. Maybe one day...

Anyway - a big thank you on behalf of the unwashed masses :flower: :respect:

johnah
25th-August-2006, 04:34 PM
I couldnt agree more to blues freestyles mixed with latin and chilled music.
So people around the mids and north etc that i know who like blues have no venues to go.You can tell they want to do blues by the nos that watch around the dancefloor ie southport.

Make a date for Saturday 14 October then because the "Sounds of Southport" will be coming to a Monster Jive Freestyle in the Midlands. All will be revealed at Southport shortly. But, I can tell you it's a fabulous venue, with a huge huge dance floor and freestyle all the way from 8pm til 2am with music played by 3 of the best djs in the Country; Marc Forster, DJ Kenobe & Rob Ambridge.
:cheers:

fletch
25th-August-2006, 04:43 PM
Make a date for Saturday 14 October then because the "Sounds of Southport" will be coming to a Monster Jive Freestyle in the Midlands. All will be revealed at Southport shortly. But, I can tell you it's a fabulous venue, with a huge huge dance floor and freestyle all the way from 8pm til 2am with music played by 3 of the best djs in the Country; Marc Forster, DJ Kenobe & Rob Ambridge.

oooooooo my favourite DJ's :respect: only problem is when the are in different rooms.:confused:

Its in my diary:clap:

johnah
25th-August-2006, 04:52 PM
oooooooo my favourite DJ's :respect: only problem is when the are in different rooms.:confused:

They won't be at this event Fletch.

Its in my diary:clap:

Spread the word.:hug: :flower: :kiss:

Gus
25th-August-2006, 05:09 PM
Make a date for Saturday 14 October then because the "Sounds of Southport" will be coming to a Monster Jive Freestyle in the Midlands. All will be revealed at Southport shortly. But, I can tell you it's a fabulous venue, with a huge huge dance floor and freestyle all the way from 8pm til 2am with music played by 3 of the best djs in the Country; Marc Forster, DJ Kenobe & Rob Ambridge.OR .... you could come to any of the Cool Catz freestyles :wink: We also feature some of the best DJs in the North ... sexy Nu-Tango, cool Blues our speciallity!

jivecat
27th-August-2006, 01:42 PM

Can't you tell us now, John? Like where it's going to be? And will it be pure blues all the way or will we have to wait through hours of the usual poppy stuff to get an hour of blues before going home? Unless it's a 2 room venue, I fear that is what might happen.

I could cope with 2 hours of Rob, followed by 2 hours of TWK, followed by 2 hours of smooth Marc!

I can dance to the usual Ceroc mix any night of the week, and mainly I'm not bothering these days. But I'd definitely be tempted out as long as I could be sure it was going to be 6 hours of really good music.

fletch
27th-August-2006, 05:01 PM
I could cope with 2 hours of Rob, followed by 2 hours of TWK, followed by 2 hours of smooth Marc!

Not sure if you have him on you books already John? but OXO'S is another FAB DJ with a similar style to Marc, he went down a STORM at errrr STORM in the blues room with compliments from ZW and others. :flower:

johnah
29th-August-2006, 02:51 PM
Can't you tell us now, John? Like where it's going to be? And will it be pure blues all the way or will we have to wait through hours of the usual poppy stuff to get an hour of blues before going home? Unless it's a 2 room venue, I fear that is what might happen.

I can dance to the usual Ceroc mix any night of the week, and mainly I'm not bothering these days. But I'd definitely be tempted out as long as I could be sure it was going to be 6 hours of really good music.

Only really really really good music is played at our events!:wink: