PDA

View Full Version : First "big" freestyle

SteveK
20th-August-2006, 12:01 PM
Whilst driving home from a trip to the freestyle at Ashtons on Friday night, I was wondering whether others felt about going to "big" freestyles?

I've been dancing for about a year (having previously done mostly stuff in the Great Outdoors such as canoeing etc.). I'm reasonably self-confident and have no problems doing freestyles after lessons.

Why did I feel like I was rather "out of my comfort zone" when driving to the venue? I probably felt more intimidated arriving that I did at my first Ceroc session last autumn. It is worth mentioning that I'm glad I pushed myself to go - I had loads of lovely dances from some really excellent dancers.

We've had advice for "what to do at your first weekender" (Mine will be Bliss in just over a month) - what would people's advice be for "what to do at your first "big" freestyle?

David Bailey
20th-August-2006, 12:36 PM
Why did I feel like I was rather "out of my comfort zone" when driving to the venue?
Well, it is in Cricklewood, after all - anyone would feel uncomfortable around there :innocent:

Seriously, freestyles are different; there's a different atmosphere, and can be very intimidating, to anyone. You don't get the "get to know you" benefit of dancing during the class with some of the people beforehand, so you have to come in cold.

And Ceroc makes an effort to welcome you into class nights - at freestyles you're on your own. Which is one reason why a lot of people do go in groups or congregate in them.

We've had advice for "what to do at your first weekender" (Mine will be Bliss in just over a month) - what would people's advice be for "what to do at your first "big" freestyle?
Push yourself, keep moving, keep mixing, keep dancing. Which is what you did, so I guess that's redundant from your point of view :)

Tazmanian Devil
20th-August-2006, 01:22 PM
Why did I feel like I was rather "out of my comfort zone" when driving to the venue? I probably felt more intimidated arriving that I did at my first Ceroc session last autumn. It is worth mentioning that I'm glad I pushed myself to go - I had loads of lovely dances from some really excellent dancers.

It is always a bit nerve racking/ exciting when you go to 1 your first big freetsyle and 2 a venue you have never ventured to before.

Being your first big freestyle you wouldn't have known what to expect no matter what others will have told you. I mean people can say "well it's just like a regular night but with no class and more time to dance" but you cannot prepeare someone for it they have to simply experience it themselves. Out of all the big freestyles there is you certainly picked one of the best for your first. :clap:

Glad you pushed yourself into it and had a great time, well done :clap: :clap:

Push yourself, keep moving, keep mixing, keep dancing.
:yeah: Great advise :worthy:

Lynn
20th-August-2006, 02:05 PM
Out of all the big freestyles there is you certainly picked one of the best for your first. :clap: I invited a friend along to the Ashtons Fri night freestyle, not really thinking he'd want to go - he'd been to one class night at St Mary's 2 years earlier (which I also dragged him along to). It could have been scary and intimidating (he really didn't know enough to be anxious before he got there) but for him it was motivating and he started regular classes.

Why did I feel like I was rather "out of my comfort zone" when driving to the venue? I probably felt more intimidated arriving that I did at my first Ceroc session last autumn. It is worth mentioning that I'm glad I pushed myself to go - I had loads of lovely dances from some really excellent dancers. I still feel the same going to AT events - feeling I'm stepping way out of my comfort zone but pushing myself on. You just have to go ahead and go for it - and you did!

It was a good idea to go to a big freestyle event before heading off to your first weekender - though its a bit easier there one sense because as DJ says you have the classes to get to know people, plus you have all weekend so can pace yourself. Enjoy.

Advice for a first big freestyle - go with friends or make sure there are a few people you know going - that way you sort of take part of your comfort zone with you. Relax. Don't put too many expectations on yourself.

If you can't go with friends, then attitude is important - just go for it, ask for dances and be determined. It works!