PDA

View Full Version : Song of Ice and Fire

andystyle
19th-August-2006, 01:27 PM
Has anyone else picked up this series? I imagine that those who have are waiting in anticipation for the next instalment!

Speaking of, there is another sample chapter at http://www.georgerrmartin.com/chapter.html

Ghost
19th-August-2006, 04:38 PM
Has anyone else picked up this series? I imagine that those who have are waiting in anticipation for the next instalment!

Speaking of, there is another sample chapter at http://www.georgerrmartin.com/chapter.html

Ordered it during the week based on a friend's glowing recommendation :flower:

Now if he'd just hurry up and finish writing it.....

Be Well,
Christopher

Freya
19th-August-2006, 09:47 PM
Currently re-reading all the books as have just got the 4th.

Looking forward to it!

andystyle
20th-August-2006, 02:17 AM
Currently re-reading all the books as have just got the 4th.

Let me know what you think of it! I'm hoping that Dance comes out soon as I have a strong suspicion that that book is going to rock.

NZ Monkey
21st-August-2006, 12:12 AM
I'd rate the Song of Fire and Ice as one of my two favourite series of all time!:clap:

I can't wait for the next one to be released.....

The other is the Gap series by Stephen Donaldson (if you can get through the first two books - anyone who's read them will know what I mean there).

whitetiger1518
22nd-August-2006, 02:36 PM
mmm, Must get around to reading this series - I have lent quite a few books and DVDs to my cousins - and I know that they are very addicted - I wonder if they would mind if their copies went missing for a while??

*Whitetiger debates how to get her cousins back for the gaps on her own bookshelf*:devil: :devil: :devil:

Whitetiger

Dreadful Scathe
24th-August-2006, 08:23 AM
mmm, Must get around to reading this series - I have lent quite a few books and DVDs to my cousins - and I know that they are very addicted - I wonder if they would mind if their copies went missing for a while??

*Whitetiger debates how to get her cousins back for the gaps on her own bookshelf*:devil: :devil: :devil:

Whitetiger
I think I'd rate it as the best fantasy series I've ever read, and I've read a few. :)

The realism is brilliant - no matter how clever, skilfull or lucky a character is you simply do not know what will happen to them :) Most fantasy books have a multitude of "foregone conclusions" e.g. in a one on one fight you know who would win - not in this series, it's quite refreshing.

Freya
24th-August-2006, 08:43 AM
The realism is brilliant - no matter how clever, skilfull or lucky a character is you simply do not know what will happen to them :) Most fantasy books have a multitude of "foregone conclusions" e.g. in a one on one fight you know who would win - not in this series, it's quite refreshing.

The way it is written is amazing. I've read a few books written in a similar way. but none have worked quite so well as In this series. Also the Twists and Turns just keep me guessing. I've read the first 3 before and re-reading them I've forgotten alot of the story and the twists so it's completely new to me all over again.

straycat
24th-August-2006, 09:13 AM
I'd rate the Song of Fire and Ice as one of my two favourite series of all time!:clap:

I can't wait for the next one to be released.....

The other is the Gap series by Stephen Donaldson (if you can get through the first two books - anyone who's read them will know what I mean there).

From the sound of it, I'll have to give these a go. I got addicted to the Gap books as well, much to my surprise - incredible books...

Beowulf
25th-August-2006, 08:20 AM
not doing my geek credentials much good.. but I've never read these.. Prefer Sci-Fi to Fantasy .. Big fan of Stephen Baxter or Peter F.Hamilton books, currently re-reading all my Philip K. Dick books just now while I await for Stephen Baxter's recently released 'Transcendent' Book three of the Destiny's Children series to come out in Paperback.

straycat
7th-September-2006, 02:10 PM
OK - well - many, many thanks for this recommendation - I picked up A Game of Thrones on the strength of it, and have just finished.

A quarter of the way through, I was tempted to stop, finding it very dark and bloody... - and now I'm completely hooked. This has to be one of the best-written, best-written, exciting and utterly unpredictable fantasy novels I've come across.

On to the next one....

Alice
7th-September-2006, 02:12 PM
Right, you've all got me curious about these ones too....
Might be time to seek them out:wink:

Dizzy
7th-September-2006, 02:25 PM
Right, you've all got me curious about these ones too....
Might be time to seek them out:wink:

:yeah:

I haven't heard of these before. May have to read them.

Dreadful Scathe
7th-September-2006, 02:57 PM
OK - well - many, many thanks for this recommendation - I picked up A Game of Thrones on the strength of it, and have just finished.

A quarter of the way through, I was tempted to stop, finding it very dark and bloody... - and now I'm completely hooked. This has to be one of the best-written, best-written, exciting and utterly unpredictable fantasy novels I've come across.

On to the next one....
glad you like them - they just get better :) the unpredicatable bit is the key for me - you cant predict who will die and the character development is so good that "evil" characters can become "good" and vice versa as you get to know them - the "point of view" style works very well indeed. Whats more, he can actually write children...nobody says anything or thinks anything you wouldnt expect them to, that includes the immature minds of the children.

Freya
7th-September-2006, 03:23 PM
glad you like them - they just get better :) the unpredicatable bit is the key for me - you cant predict who will die and the character development is so good that "evil" characters can become "good" and vice versa as you get to know them - the "point of view" style works very well indeed. Whats more, he can actually write children...nobody says anything or thinks anything you wouldnt expect them to, that includes the immature minds of the children.

:yeah: One friend was telling me that he find's Arya and Sansa's chapters more uniteresting and written very imaturely. But I had to point out that they are in fact imature girls with typical girl worries. Probably why they don't interest him as much. But the point is that a middle aged man managed to write them so well!

Dreadful Scathe
7th-September-2006, 03:36 PM
:yeah: One friend was telling me that he find's Arya and Sansa's chapters more uniteresting and written very imaturely. But I had to point out that they are in fact imature girls with typical girl worries. Probably why they don't interest him as much. But the point is that a middle aged man managed to write them so well!
very true - and for me it makes Sansa and Arya two of the best characters as they become very mature very quickly - Sansas transofrmation over all the books is especially well written.

detomo
20th-September-2006, 12:13 AM
Add another recommendation for these books from me :). Well worth reading and grittier than others of the same genre. Look forward to the next in the series, whenever it arrives :(