PDA

View Full Version : Which dances are snooty (2)

David Bailey
15th-August-2006, 07:52 PM
OK, this time hopefully with a poll...

Lynn
15th-August-2006, 08:37 PM
Do you mean snooty as in 'don't mix, don't ask strangers to dance' or 'don't like to dance with beginners, give off negative 'vibes' to less experienced dancers'?

Some examples from my very limited experiences to illustrate my question.

I've been to an AT venue where hardly anyone spoke to me and few asked me to dance as I was a stranger. But when I have been asked, I've encountered patience with my lack of experience, gentle leads, smiles and warm vibes.

Lindy - I've been to an event where the beginners and experienced dancers simply didn't mix. I was asked for a dance (I think because I was wearing the right shoes and had been demoing with the local teacher) and there was such a clear shift of loss of interest in dancing with me when the guy discovered I was a beginner that I was rather taken aback.

Salsa - I've been to venues where if I wasn't with friends no-one, at all, would have spoken or asked me to dance. And encoutered an intolerant attitude to beginners - unless said beginner is a young pretty female of course.

David Bailey
15th-August-2006, 08:47 PM
Do you mean snooty as in 'don't mix, don't ask strangers to dance' or 'don't like to dance with beginners, give off negative 'vibes' to less experienced dancers'?
Yes.

No.

Err... I dunno. It's just a poll, OK? The pressure... :rolleyes:

Lynn
15th-August-2006, 08:53 PM
Yes.

No.

Err... I dunno. It's just a poll, OK? The pressure... :rolleyes: Its these words you keep using - 'cool', 'snooty'. :rolleyes: Definitions, I need definitions!

OK - you mean superior, stand-offish, exclusive then.

So, do you mean towards beginners, or more experienced dancers? :whistle:

Sorry, I'm clearly thinking way too much about this. I'll shut up and go and click on some buttons.

David Bailey
15th-August-2006, 08:56 PM
{ stuff }
Sorry, I'm clearly thinking way too much about this.
You think? :na:

I'll shut up and go and click on some buttons.
Thank you... :rolleyes:

Missy D
16th-August-2006, 12:15 AM
For a moment I thought the thread said "which dancers are snooty" far more interesting thread dont you think!

quiet_flame
16th-August-2006, 12:48 AM
For a moment I thought the thread said "which dancers are snooty" far more interesting thread dont you think!
well yes....
However, it could have nasty reprocussions. :eek:

ducasi
16th-August-2006, 01:01 AM
I've voted for "Pole" – it's as sensible an answer as the question is.

I would explain why, but this thread is beneath me.

straycat
16th-August-2006, 03:13 PM

Well - maybe it should? In every dance I've tried, there have been snooty dancers, and non-snooty dancers (and several grades in between). The only way I can see to define a snooty dance is as one where dancers are (on average) more snooty than in other dances. Which also varies from region to region, franchise to franchise, venue to venue....

Every dance has its hotshots.

MartinHarper
16th-August-2006, 03:35 PM
I've voted for "Pole" – it's as sensible an answer as the question is.

I would explain why, but this thread is beneath me.

Is it because pole dancers typically look down on their audience?

Minnie M
18th-August-2006, 08:15 AM
No dance is snooty - it is the dancers

Last night I went to Andy McG's dance - Nigel Anderson was teaching - a young girl with skin tight trousers and a very very small top that showed everything was there! When she danced she gave the impression that she was better than the rest of us. Yes she was a good dancer but nothing special, but she thought she was............... I call that snooty :flower:

ducasi
18th-August-2006, 08:45 AM
... a young girl with skin tight trousers and a very very small top that showed everything was there! ... I must try to make it down to Brighton one of these days... :whistle:

Minnie M
18th-August-2006, 04:23 PM
I must try to make it down to Brighton one of these days... :whistle:
I was told she was from Scotland :really: