PDA

View Full Version : "You can't give rep twice"? (or at all?)

bigdjiver
12th-August-2006, 06:26 PM
I have had two attempts to give rep rejected with the message that I can't give rep twice to the same post. I was only trying to give it once, and CP showed no rep given.

(I still miss the hover pop-ups, is that perhaps someting to do with software on my machine stopping pop-ups ads, and catching those too?)

KatieR
13th-August-2006, 01:04 PM
I have had two attempts to give rep rejected with the message that I can't give rep twice to the same post. I was only trying to give it once, and CP showed no rep given.

this has happened to me too, so its not an isolated incident..

under par
13th-August-2006, 01:12 PM
I think this particular pop up window appears when you try to give rep to anyone after you have given your allotted daily amounts of rep already.

so if the daily allocation is 10. You give 10 different people rep = no problem.
When you give the eleventh person rep this pop up appears.

It also appears when you attempt to give the same forum member rep twice within 24 hours (even for different posts).

I have seen it several times too.

KatieR
14th-August-2006, 08:58 AM
I think this particular pop up window appears when you try to give rep to anyone after you have given your allotted daily amounts of rep already.

so if the daily allocation is 10. You give 10 different people rep = no problem.
When you give the eleventh person rep this pop up appears.

It also appears when you attempt to give the same forum member rep twice within 24 hours (even for different posts).

I have seen it several times too.

I hadn't given rep to anyone in ages and I wanted to rep Miss Sparkles and it gave me the error that I had already repped her for this particular post. I am certain I hadn't repped anyone else because I dont actually rep that often. Only when it is truly deserved.

bigdjiver
14th-August-2006, 09:20 AM
I hadn't given rep to anyone in ages ... it gave me the error that I had already repped her for this particular post. I am certain I hadn't repped anyone else because I dont actually rep that often...:yeah:

Twirly
14th-August-2006, 09:22 AM
I think it also gives you problems if you try to rep someone after they have repped you. Probably trying to stop mutual appreciation societies.

ducasi
14th-August-2006, 10:19 AM
I think it also gives you problems if you try to rep someone after they have repped you. Probably trying to stop mutual appreciation societies.
Nope.

There are 3 restrictions on rep.

You may not rep more than 10 times in 24 hours. (I can't remember the exact message in this case.)
You may not rep the same person without repping 5 or 6 other people in the meantime (no matter how long it's been since you gave someone rep.) (You'll be told "You must spread reputation points around before giving to the same user.")
You may not rep the same post twice. (You'll be told "You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.")

If either of the first two restrictions apply, you will be told, but allowed to leave a comment without adding (or subtracting) from the person's rep. And this is where the bug comes in. After leaving your comment, the forum software will incorrectly accuse you of trying to rep the same post twice.

If you are not coming across one of these restrictions but still get told you can't rep twice, then this is a different bug – one that I've never seen myself.

The good news is that there's a new version of the forum software just out. I expect we'll be moving to it soon, and maybe it'll have resolved these issues. One thing it does do is allow you to give rep to a post without leaving the page you're on.

Twirly
14th-August-2006, 10:28 AM
Well this did happen to me - the only problem I've ever had. LMC had repped me, I'd never repped her and it wouldn't let me when I tried a few days later on a totally different thread, got told I had to spread it around first. That was last week or the week before.

straycat
14th-August-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm getting this a fair bit at the moment (cannot rep the same post twice) - and it just happened for someone I'd never repped before :(

I think that in each case I had repped the same thread before.

ducasi
14th-August-2006, 02:58 PM
I think that in each case I had repped the same thread before.
The last 4 reps I've given were all on the same thread...

LMC
14th-August-2006, 03:06 PM
AFA I understand it:

you are allowed to rep 10 times a day
you have to rep a certain number of different people before you are allowed to give rep points to someone you repped earlier (not 100% sure what this number is - 8 or so?)

You get the error message if

you have repped more than 10 posts that day and have just added a comment without adding points
you are repping someone before you have "spread it around" enough - again, you should just be able to add a comment with nul points
you try to rep the same post twice

It just seems to be the same error message for all these situations.

If you drop back into the Ceroc Orange theme you can see the last 10 reps you dished out :)

The thread or the time of the posts you are repping don't matter - you can rep 10 consecutive posts on the same thread if you like - you just can't rep any of 'em twice.

Sparkles
14th-August-2006, 03:07 PM
I hadn't given rep to anyone in ages and I wanted to rep Miss Sparkles and it gave me the error that I had already repped her for this particular post. I am certain I hadn't repped anyone else because I dont actually rep that often. Only when it is truly deserved.

I got your rep (thank you Sweetie) but it gave me no points... :confused:

LMC
14th-August-2006, 03:09 PM
See above - must have been a cross-post :) - KatieR prolly just needed to spread it around a bit before repping you again.

Ghost
14th-August-2006, 03:16 PM
See above - must have been a cross-post :) - KatieR prolly just needed to spread it around a bit before repping you again.
Yep Ducasi, Sparkles and yourself should now have increased rep.

But did you get one lot of rep from me or two ( the second being grey)?

Be Well,
Christopher

LMC
14th-August-2006, 03:23 PM
Two lots, second grey. As hypothesised :nice:

ducasi
14th-August-2006, 03:51 PM
If you drop back into the Ceroc Orange theme you can see the last 10 reps you dished out :) Also works in the "Metallic (Wide)" theme... Probably others... :)

Sparkles
14th-August-2006, 06:27 PM
One lot of rep from Ghost (thank you :flower:) with points :clap: No second grey lot though... but maybe that was a special treat for LMC :flower:.

S. xx

Ghost
14th-August-2006, 07:07 PM
One lot of rep from Ghost (thank you :flower:) with points :clap: No second grey lot though... but maybe that was a special treat for LMC :flower:.

S. xx
:flower: I've remedied the situation oh Queen - always happy to treat a lady. :flower:

spikey blond
15th-August-2006, 12:35 PM
OK someone like to tell me what/how/why reputation points are given/received?? I'm reputation point novice! Put 'Reputation Points' into FAQs section but not recognised. HELP!!

Alice
15th-August-2006, 12:39 PM
OK someone like to tell me what/how/why reputation points are given/received?? I'm reputation point novice! Put 'Reputation Points' into FAQs section but not recognised. HELP!!
Go into User CP and you should see it there... It shows rep you have received and rep you've given too...

spikey blond
15th-August-2006, 04:46 PM
Go into User CP and you should see it there... It shows rep you have received and rep you've given too...

Thanks Alice didn't even know I had received any - shows how clueless I am!! :whistle: :blush: Now I know how it works I will defintely give some too!!

DavidY
25th-August-2006, 09:04 AM
Just tried to give some rep by clicking on the symbol, and nothing happened. No popup, no message, nothing.

I copied the URL of the rep symbol and tried pasting it into the browser, which told me that I couldn't give more rep to the same person without spreading it around - fair enough as I'd rep'd them recently.

But why didn't I get a popup telling me this? I tried clicking on the symbol with Ctrl key pressed (which gets round some popup blocking) but it made no difference.

Anyone else found this? (I have suspicion it's only my PC and probably Mcafee getting it wrong again:rolleyes: )

straycat
25th-August-2006, 09:23 AM
Just tried to give some rep by clicking on the symbol, and nothing happened. No popup, no message, nothing.

snippety snip

Anyone else found this? (I have suspicion it's only my PC and probably Mcafee getting it wrong again:rolleyes: )

I've had this. Just to check, I then clicked on the rep symbol for the posts before & after the one I was trying to rep, and it worked fine. I then found that I'd given rep to the same person five reps ago, so I assume the system knew I couldn't give rep to that person at that point (I could test this by going back to the same post & repping it, but I can't remember which it was :blush: )

It certainly isn't your PC - the rep popups don't work in a way which your PC could selectively block (unless you plain turned off Javascript)

My suspicion is that it's simply a minor interface issue - as you say, it should tell you why you can't rep, bring up just the comments box, or maybe change the icon, instead of simply doing nothing. It'll likely be fixed in some future update.

ducasi
25th-August-2006, 10:08 AM
:yeah:

When I try to rep the same post a second time I get a javascript alert telling me I can't rep the same post twice.

But like the others, if I try to rep the same person for a different post I just don't get anything. I guess it's another rep-related bug. :rolleyes:

Shame we can't choose to "just leave a comment" anymore... :(

DavidY
25th-August-2006, 12:34 PM
Shame we can't choose to "just leave a comment" anymore... :(When I copied the URL from the rep symbol and pasted it into my browser Address bar, I did still get the "just a comment" option.

ducasi
26th-August-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey look – my rep power is now 11! :D

Quick, someone post something worthy of rep! ;)

Lynn
26th-August-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey look – my rep power is now 11! :D

Quick, someone post something worthy of rep! ;)I see 7 - but feel free to rep me to see what happens...:wink:

ducasi
26th-August-2006, 01:34 PM
I see 7 - but feel free to rep me to see what happens...:wink:
:( Back down to 7... Still, it's higher than the old limit of 6...

Think I got some rep from someone while their rep was worth 10 points though...

David Bailey
26th-August-2006, 01:45 PM
:( Back down to 7... Still, it's higher than the old limit of 6...
7? Where'd that come from?? Seems a bit weird... Still, I suppose any limit's an arbitrary number anyway.

dee
26th-August-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey mine is down to 5 :confused: whats going on??

WittyBird
26th-August-2006, 03:02 PM
7? Where'd that come from?? Seems a bit weird... Still, I suppose any limit's an arbitrary number anyway.

:yeah: What's going on? Mines at 8 :confused:
I can't seem to rep Jammy either ????

Lynn
26th-August-2006, 03:19 PM
It seems that rep has gone back to being a result of posts/rep received, instead of getting to a certain point and everyone having a max of 6. It may be that some people's rep has been adjusted downwards a little if new rules for deciding rep have been applied, as well as others going up.

Lynn
26th-August-2006, 10:20 PM
It seems that rep has gone back to being a result of posts/rep received, instead of getting to a certain point and everyone having a max of 6. It may be that some people's rep has been adjusted downwards a little if new rules for deciding rep have been applied, as well as others going up.Nope, back to 6 again. I think I've been 10, 7, now 6 in a few hours. Where will it all end?

David Bailey
27th-August-2006, 09:56 AM
Nope, back to 6 again. I think I've been 10, 7, now 6 in a few hours. Where will it all end?
In a rep re-set, hopefully. As I've mentioned a few times already.

At some point, as more and more posters will be on power 6, there'll be more and more rep inflation, so that the numbers become pointless.

In fact, I think they may be fairly pointless now - the MJDA forum survives without rep, maybe it's time to just zap it?

ducasi
27th-August-2006, 10:50 AM
In fact, I think they may be fairly pointless now - the MJDA forum survives without rep, maybe it's time to just zap it?
THE MJDA forum survives without me, but is that any reason to do away with me here? :really:

Ghost
2nd-April-2007, 12:42 AM
Has this changed again?

I don't seem to be able to give "grey" rep anymore and have to spread it around instead

Now if only I could find some volunteers to test this theory.........:whistle:

Cruella
2nd-April-2007, 10:29 AM
:D OK i'll volunteer.:wink:

Ghost
2nd-April-2007, 04:47 PM
:D OK i'll volunteer.:wink:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cruella again"

It's not looking promising....