PDA

View Full Version : E-mail Notices

Chicklet
24th-April-2003, 09:41 AM
Folks, Franck,

Anyone else's e-mail notices b******* these days?

I get a whole load in overnight usually and the odd one during the day, there are also two styles, older ones still popping in from days ago with a subject in the header and newer ones with no subject.

It's really not a big deal, is not affecting my enjoyment of the forum and it could well be just my company's spam filters "working" haha but thought I would ask.

C

Ps do remember one other little red haired minx mentioning that hers was a bit dodgy the other day too..

TheTramp
24th-April-2003, 09:46 AM
Hmmm.

Why do you bother having them turned on?

When you're on the forum every day, why bother being notified by email that you've got PMs or threads that you've already probably read.

I think that the email notification is really only useful for people who only log on occasionally. Turning them off was about the first thing I did when I logged onto here :D

Steve

Franck
24th-April-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Folks, Franck,

Anyone else's e-mail notices b******* these days?I am not sure what you are noticing. Have you stopped receiving email notification, or have you started receiving much more than usual?

in your User cp, you have several options, at the moment, you have email notification activated, which means that you will receive an email when someone replies to a thread you contributed to (usually only one email per thread, even if several replies were made). You can also subscribe to individual threads / forums (fora?) which would notify you of any new post / thread whether you had contributed or not.
You can check what subscriptions you have by clicking on the 'View all subscribed threads' link on the main page of you user control panel (user cp), you are then given the option to unsubscribe all threads...

I would appreciate more feedback on email problems, as I have recently updated the forum (minor bug fix update) and this might have caused some problems / disruption.

Cheers,

Franck.

DavidB
24th-April-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Franck
forums (fora?) fori

Franck
24th-April-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
fori This has to be your shortest ever contribution David, and vaguely off topic too... Wow :D

foray into the unknown...

Franck.

P.S. I have fixed a bunch of templates, so the email notifications should have titles again...

Chicklet
24th-April-2003, 11:18 AM
Thanks Franck,

the e-mail notices stopped altogether for a couple of days and now come thru kinda random (one in today for a post on 21st April?) so I was thinking of doing as Trampie suggests and switching them off altogether and just refreshing as and when.

It may well be probs at my end but thought I would mention it incase there were any shy folks out there who were having probs and didn't like to say cos I was sure you would rather KNOW and have a chance to look into it than have anyone sitting out there no happy!

CX

Franck
24th-April-2003, 11:35 AM
It may well be probs at my end but thought I would mention it incase there were any shy folks out there who were having probs and didn't like to say cos I was sure you would rather KNOW and have a chance to look into it than have anyone sitting out there no happy! Definitely, this area of the forum is exactly for that purpose, and even if it had been a problem at you end, I am sure someone might have been able to help.

I have applied a few fixes but have no way of knowing if they'll make a difference, so all of you out there (yes you! :nice: ) don't be shy with feedback.

Franck.

DavidB
24th-April-2003, 12:26 PM
This has to be your shortest ever contribution David, and vaguely off topic too... I'm trying. It has taken me a year, but I'm starting to get the hang of it now. How many threads should I divert before I can move up from beginner to intermediate?

TheTramp
24th-April-2003, 12:32 PM
There isn't strictly a number David. You should just be comfortable with the idea of diverting threads, and feel ready to move on. There are some experienced thread diverters who you can practise with (exclusively available to you until 10pm), and they'll take you through the moves again.

Most people seem to be ready to move on after about 6 diversions though.... :D

Steve

Franck
24th-April-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I'm trying. It has taken me a year, but I'm starting to get the hang of it now. How many threads should I divert before I can move up from beginner to intermediate? I agree with the Tramp... a bit of practise to build up your confidence and you'll be right up there with the best of them...

Of course, you'll have to learn the subtle art of topic interpretation... I believe Wendy is running an advanced workshop soon...

Most people struggle initially because they can't find the beat... so make sure you read a few posts before attempting a new post.

Finally, if you're interested in the more bluesy kind of diversion, speak to Chicklet, she'll make sure you can slip in your innuendoes smoothly and without becoming a sleaze!

Franck.

Chicklet
24th-April-2003, 12:54 PM
:D :D :D :devil:

Emma
24th-April-2003, 05:43 PM

Ps do remember one other little red haired minx mentioning that hers was a bit dodgy the other day too..

Who was that then??? :what::grin:

Emma
24th-April-2003, 06:27 PM

I would appreciate more feedback on email problems, as I have recently updated the forum (minor bug fix update) and this might have caused some problems / disruption.

Please Sir, Mr Pauly Sir...:innocent:

I'm not getting any email notifications at the moment, though they were sort of working yesterday (no titles) :)

RHM x

DavidY
8th-June-2003, 10:58 AM
I just (today is Sunday 8 June) received an email notifying me of a reply to a thread I subscribed to - but the message it refers to was posted on 26 April.

I notice that it was around that time in April when Chicklet noticed the problems with these notices - is there a backlog from back then that's being cleared out somehow??

Thanks,
David

Will
9th-June-2003, 01:23 AM
Yep,

Same thing happened to me. Just been notified of a PM I received on the 26th April.