View Full Version : Weekend 18/19/20 Aug

tiger
11th-August-2006, 07:17 PM
Another poll.
Who's going where?
ive left a few options open if anyone wants to add other nights

Gus
11th-August-2006, 07:50 PM
ive left a few options open if anyone wants to add other nightsWell, there's always the North of England Blues Champs at Northwich on Sat 19th. Sure that many of the NWest Forumites will be there ... and any more distant forumites who fancy picking up a Blues dance title :waycool:

Dazzler
11th-August-2006, 08:14 PM
On saturday the 19th i fully intend to be dancing in the bonar hall, dundee!

Its a great venue and last time had a great turn out of some fantastic dancers!...Heres hoping its repeated next week!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers:

Tiggerbabe
11th-August-2006, 08:16 PM
I've added it to the poll, Dazzler, so you can vote now :wink: :D

Dazzler
11th-August-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey no fair...dundee was not an option when i voted...can i change my vote?

Dazzler
11th-August-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks tiggerbabe :respect:

Dazzler
11th-August-2006, 08:20 PM
Nuts...it wont let me vote!...i want to tick them both...dundee and aberdeen...how can i go about doin so?

Claire S
11th-August-2006, 08:25 PM
Red Hot & Blue's on in Edinburgh on the 18th...

Tiggerbabe
11th-August-2006, 08:28 PM
I've added it to the Poll, Claire.

I don't see your vote Dazzler, only mine, what did you vote for before?

Dazzler
11th-August-2006, 08:30 PM
i had voted for somewhere else....and now it says i have voted and i cant bloody vote again...whats the deal with that :confused:

This technology baffles my feeble brain :rofl:

Tiggerbabe
11th-August-2006, 08:36 PM
Still, at least you're going to the right party :clap:

Dazzler
11th-August-2006, 08:38 PM
Thats true... thats if my feeble mind doesnt get confused and i end up in the wrong venue :rofl:

Piglet
11th-August-2006, 09:27 PM
Definitely doing the Sunday workshop cos its on home turf and it will be nice to see Lorna again.

Thinking about the Dundee night - really want to do it, but then I'm thinking I'll be knackered on the Sunday (but heck, Lorna would go easy on me, huh?)

And also thinking about RH&B cos I've been asked to think about it by another lovely forumite.... hmmmm decisions, decisions.

Thing putting me off is after 7 lazy holiday weeks I start work again after this weekend and do I want to start my first week back feeling tired out from dancing? I guess I could always avoid the weekly classes that first week back :whistle:

Anyway enough beating around the bush - YES to Aberdeen and more than likely to Dundee and Edinburgh :D

Sheepman
11th-August-2006, 10:02 PM
There's an alternative on the Friday night that I'm planning to do, a blues night on the Thames, I think it's a new venture, so it will be interesting to see how it does.

Blues On the River (http://www.bluesrevolution.co.uk/)

(Despite what the website says, tickets are £10 if paid for by Monday 14th.)

Greg

fletch
12th-August-2006, 12:34 AM
Im going to the Big Bang and then off to London for The president and then berko, most of those options are missing.:confused:

And there isn't one for this weekend?:really:

DJ I need some help!:na:

WittyBird
12th-August-2006, 12:39 AM
Im going to the Big Bang and then off to London for The president and then berko, most of those options are missing.:confused:

I wish you'd make your bl00dy mind up woman :rolleyes:

fletch
12th-August-2006, 12:41 AM
I wish you'd make your bl00dy mind up woman :rolleyes:
Thats the plann, my ex might change them thought W&nk£r :angry:

Little Monkey
12th-August-2006, 02:18 PM
On saturday the 19th i fully intend to be dancing in the bonar hall, dundee!

Its a great venue and last time had a great turn out of some fantastic dancers!...Heres hoping its repeated next week!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers:

Booo-hooooooo! I'm going to a wedding ceilidh / party that night!!!!:tears:

Hopefully I'll manage to get myself down to R H & B on Friday....... Unless I'll be in my studio, frantically trying to finish off the piece that's been commissioned as a wedding present from the bride's father! Aaaaargh!:sick:

Little Monkey
12th-August-2006, 02:22 PM
There's an alternative on the Friday night that I'm planning to do, a blues night on the Thames, I think it's a new venture, so it will be interesting to see how it does.

Greg

Not fair! I want to go to that!!!!! :tears: :tears:

Moaning Little Monkey

PS - anyone know how I can clone myself, so I can be in two places at the same time? Or a lookalike robot might be enough, to send off to the events I don't want to go to, do my work etc......... Any ideas?

Minnie M
13th-August-2006, 11:07 AM

Greg
My lindy buddies are doing that - I will be at the Winning Post in Twickenham dancing to BIG BOY BLOATER :worthy:

Dance Demon
13th-August-2006, 01:57 PM
I will be at the Winning Post in Twickenham dancing to BIG BOY BLOATER :worthy:
yay....sounds good Minnie...I Saw big Boy Bloater, and bought his CD in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. hope you have a great night:hug:

Lory
13th-August-2006, 03:30 PM

I really fancied this event, till Minnie mentioned her Lindy friends were going and I followed the links on the webpage and saw THIS (http://solomondouglas.com/music_video.html), second video on the page:whistle:

Somehow, I can't see it working.... OUCH:sick:

SilverFox
14th-August-2006, 12:02 AM
I really fancied this event, till Minnie mentioned her Lindy friends were going and I followed the links on the webpage and saw THIS (http://solomondouglas.com/music_video.html), second video on the page:whistle:

Somehow, I can't see it working.... OUCH:sick::rofl: :rofl: Everytime I watch it (and i've watched it about 16 times already:blush: ), it cracks me up.

So once you've slammed your partner's head into the floor, you then yank her arm out of it's socket as you drag her along the floor, whilst still trying to look cool. What a total and utter twat!

Missy D
14th-August-2006, 12:22 AM
Friday -Ashtons hopefully with sis.

Saturday - meeting up with sis and going for a Thai meal.

Sunday - visiting a friend in Redditch nr Birmingham

under par
14th-August-2006, 08:32 AM
Somehow, I can't see it working.... OUCH:sick:

Is it just me or did it appear some of them were drunk ... certainly lacked a bit of co-ordination!:what:

Dave Hancock
14th-August-2006, 08:38 AM
Friday - Red, Hot & Blue
Saturday - Meal & drinks
Sunday - hopefully the Aberdeen Tea Party

Sheena/Franck, am I correct in my reading that Lorna will teach 1.30 to 3.30 and then the freestyle will start at 3.30 or will there be a bit of a break and freestyle at 4, will be travelling up from Edinburgh so would be good to knwo what time to aim at.

Paul F
14th-August-2006, 08:41 AM

Greg

:tears:
I cant tell you how utterly gutted I am to miss this
:tears:

I search up and down trying to find decent blues venues where there is space to dance. Now this appears and I am still in god damn India. :mad:

I am now officially miserable

I sincerely hope they do this again

WittyBird
14th-August-2006, 09:17 AM
I am now officially miserable

Oh, It's official now is it :whistle:

Tiggerbabe
14th-August-2006, 09:26 AM
Sheena/Franck, am I correct in my reading that Lorna will teach 1.30 to 3.30 and then the freestyle will start at 3.30 or will there be a bit of a break and freestyle at 4, will be travelling up from Edinburgh so would be good to know what time to aim at.I will start playing freestyle music as soon as Lorna has finished her workshop. So 3.30pm it is :D

Dave Hancock
14th-August-2006, 09:37 AM
I will start playing freestyle music as soon as Lorna has finished her workshop. So 3.30pm it is :D

Excellent, looking forward to it already, hope it's well supported as it would be lovely to have this as a regular event as missing the monthly parties up here:sad:

senorita
14th-August-2006, 11:35 AM
W&nk£r :angry:

Wots that?? :innocent:(confused face)

under par
14th-August-2006, 11:45 AM
Friday = Big Bang:D

Saturday = BIG BANG:D :D :D

Sunday :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: Work :sad: :sad: :sad:

senorita
14th-August-2006, 11:50 AM
Friday-Ashtons
Saturday-Northampton ballon festival
Sunday-hiking

Dave Hancock
14th-August-2006, 12:13 PM
I search up and down trying to find decent blues venues where there is space to dance. Now this appears and I am still in god damn India. :mad:

There's not a bad one in Edinburgh, you should come up some time.

Paul F
14th-August-2006, 04:30 PM

I have promised myself so many times that I would get up to Scotland :rolleyes:

Im just imagining a great long weekend of WCS events and dancing in the blues bar in Edinburgh :drool: :drool: :drool:

Thanks for mentioning it though. I seriously would travel for real blues.

ducasi
14th-August-2006, 04:53 PM
I have promised myself so many times that I would get up to Scotland :rolleyes:
On the weekend of 2nd/3rd September, there's the Glasgow party with a blues room, and usually at least half a dozen WCS folks. Then on the Sunday afternoon there's a WCS workshop/tea dance in Livingstone, run by Graham Fox.

Paul F
14th-August-2006, 04:56 PM
On the weekend of 2nd/3rd September, there's the Glasgow party with a blues room, and usually at least half a dozen WCS folks. Then on the Sunday afternoon there's a WCS workshop/tea dance in Livingstone, run by Graham Fox.

:what:
And here's me thinking London had good events :cheers:

I think that will probably be a bit soon after my getting back from India but if you would know of any events, say, mid-september onwards I would be really grateful.

Thanks for the info though.

Paul F
14th-August-2006, 04:57 PM

Dont suppose you would have any more details on this place would you Dave?

Tiggerbabe
14th-August-2006, 05:31 PM
I think that will probably be a bit soon after my getting back from India but if you would know of any events, say, mid-september onwards I would be really grateful.

How about? :D
Friday 8th September pre comp party in Brunton Hall, Mussleburgh.
Sat 9th September Scottish Ceroc Champs in the same venue, with Main Room and Blues Room in the evening (Dance Demon in the Blues Room and yours truly in the Main Room).
Sun 10th September a Focus Workshop in the King Robert Hotel, Stirling with Franck from 1.30-3.30pm and then a tea-dance from 3.30-6.30 with loads of cool, bluesy toons. :hug:

Paul F
14th-August-2006, 06:32 PM
......tempting line up of events........:

Still too early in September :tears:

Thinking about it we have Southport on the weekend of the 18th so that only leaves me 1 more weekend in September.

Wow. Its amazing how quick your time fills up when planning your dancing!!

Tiggerbabe
14th-August-2006, 07:05 PM
Still too early in September :tears:

Well that leaves the weekend of the 23rd/24th when we are having another weekend in the fabulous Albert Hall, Stirling. 4 workshops, party on Saturday night until 2am and then a late tea-dance from 6ish-9.30pm in the King Robert on Sunday after the workshops finish :)

Piglet
14th-August-2006, 09:15 PM
Well that leaves the weekend of the 23rd/24th ... Stirling.

Well done Sheena - that's not on the forum calendar - why didn't I look at my own calendar??

Please come Paul!:hug:

pmjd
15th-August-2006, 12:20 AM
Not fair! I want to go to that!!!!! :tears: :tears:

Moaning Little Monkey

PS - anyone know how I can clone myself, so I can be in two places at the same time? Or a lookalike robot might be enough, to send off to the events I don't want to go to, do my work etc......... Any ideas?

I'm working in the lab late tonight, I'll see what I can come up with:wink:

Quiet weekend with family for me, though get the feeling my wee three year old niece will be trying to get me to dance:nice:

Dave Hancock
15th-August-2006, 08:45 AM
Dont suppose you would have any more details on this place would you Dave?

Red, Hot & Blues, is on this Friday, but not sure when next one is after that, shame you can't come up this weekend as the Dundee party in the Bonar Hall is always a good night with a really good atmosphere.

ducasi
15th-August-2006, 09:22 AM
Well that leaves the weekend of the 23rd/24th when we are having another weekend in the fabulous Albert Hall, Stirling. 4 workshops, ...
Do we know who'll be teaching yet? :)

Piglet
15th-August-2006, 12:01 PM
Not last night when I booked they didn't :wink:
But I've got my accommodation booked and I'm going whatever, whoever :D

Sheepman
17th-August-2006, 12:14 AM
It seems that I'm the only person I know that's going to this. :eek: I wonder how I'll cope dancing blues all night with total strangers!
But if anyone else is thinking of coming along, the organiser has told me that although tickets are available on the door (at £12), you do need to email in advance to make sure your name is on the list.

Greg

Northants Girly
17th-August-2006, 11:31 PM
It seems that I'm the only person I know that's going to this. :eek: I wonder how I'll cope dancing blues all night with total strangers!
But if anyone else is thinking of coming along, the organiser has told me that although tickets are available on the door (at £12), you do need to email in advance to make sure your name is on the list.

GregI'm sorry Greg - it seemed like a cool idea when you first mentioned it :grin:

But one of my lovely friends has persuaded me to go to my local Wellingborough venue as it is her birthday :clap:

Will be sorry to miss this thou :(

It's abit like buses innit? Nowt to do and then they all come at once! (Big Bang, Ashton's, Welling . . . . :rolleyes: )

foxylady
17th-August-2006, 11:44 PM

Greg

If it wasn't this weekend I'd definitely be there. I'll come with you to the next one I promise (:blush: if you want me to)

Foxy

Sheepman
18th-August-2006, 01:33 AM
I'll come with you to the next one I promise (:blush: if you want me to) Sounds good to me :hug: (But I wouldn't force you to go if it's naff. :devil: ) It seems that there are over 100 booked on it, so surely there'll be someone I know there?

Greg

robd
18th-August-2006, 09:53 AM
Is it safe (as in do they lock the exit gates rather than will the car be nicked though I guess it would be nice to be reassured on both) to park in the B&Q car park if visiting Ashtons?

Robert

Sparkles
18th-August-2006, 09:54 AM
Is it safe (as in do they lock the exit gates rather than will the car be nicked though I guess it would be nice to be reassured on both) to park in the B&Q car park if visiting Ashtons?

It always has been in the past. I see no reason why tonight should be any different. :flower:

Dizzy
18th-August-2006, 09:55 AM

Robert

I always park my car in the B&Q car park and have never had any problems.

David Bailey
18th-August-2006, 10:08 AM
Has been for the past 10 years. You've got me worried now though... :eek:

Nah, seriously, it's got guard vans and everything, and I don't believe it ever shuts the gates, so you'll be fine. Or if not, you'll have a lot of company in your misery :)

Top Bird
18th-August-2006, 10:11 AM

Robert

Not been a problem so far, let's hope tonight is not an exception. See you there :grin: :clap: :clap:

spikey blond
18th-August-2006, 10:12 AM
Has been for the past 10 years. You've got me worried now though... :eek:

Nah, seriously, it's got guard vans and everything, and I don't believe it ever shuts the gates, so you'll be fine. Or if not, you'll have a lot of company in your misery :)

If you going to Ashtons tonight, say 'Hi' and see if I am too snooty to respond, but be sure to introduce yourself this time!:flower:

David Bailey
18th-August-2006, 10:19 AM
If you going to Ashtons tonight, say 'Hi' and see if I am too snooty to respond, but be sure to introduce yourself this time!:flower:
Might do, might not - depends how snooty I feel... Who are you again? :na:

stewart38
18th-August-2006, 10:35 AM

Robert

Ive been 75 times parked there no problem

Not going tonite so if there is let us know for next time :grin:

senorita
18th-August-2006, 03:30 PM
Unfortunely I wont be coming to Ashtons this evening :tears:

Have a great time everyone, & have a dance for me please :flower:

David Bailey
18th-August-2006, 05:35 PM
Unfortunely I wont be coming to Ashtons this evening :tears:
But.. you have to - you've already voted to say you will.

If you don't turn up now, the whole time-space continuum could be at risk. :eek:

Andreas
18th-August-2006, 08:00 PM
But.. you have to - you've already voted to say you will.

If you don't turn up now, the whole time-space continuum could be at risk. :eek:

I guess I will have to take her place. Just don't lead so rough, will ya? Senorita might like it :devil: but I am such a softy :blush:

:rofl:

David Bailey
18th-August-2006, 08:26 PM
I guess I will have to take her place.
Noooo... :(
I dunno, I wish people would just treat these polls with the seriousness they deserve. I mean, people plan their whole nights out based on them, you know. It's just selfish, selfish I say, to wilfully mislead us like this. The whole balance of this poll is just ruined now :sad:

Hell, I might have to, I dunno, find some non-forumites to dance with tonight or something :eek:

Shaz
19th-August-2006, 11:25 AM
Sounds good to me :hug: (But I wouldn't force you to go if it's naff. :devil: ) It seems that there are over 100 booked on it, so surely there'll be someone I know there?

Greg

Wish I could go, sounds great !!

robd
19th-August-2006, 12:10 PM
Well, I had a crap night of dancing at Ashtons.

You know those times when you feel like you're repeating the same three moves over and over again, you can't attune to the music and that elusive connection with your partners just isn't there. And no matter how much you try to snap out of it, it just ain't happening. It's the first event I can remember where I was actively trying to avoid people for parts of the evening. It wasn't helped by the fact that the venue was very hot (I was embarassed by how much I was sweating) and very crowded and floorcraft (mine own included) was virtually non-existent. Music wasn't to my taste either, a select few tracks aside. It was summed up by the last dance of the evening - some truly goddawful latin dirge and leaving the floor early after spinning away from my partner sending her into the path of someone who promptly trod on her ankle. Fortunately she didn't fall over but it neatly encapsulated my evening's experience.

Everyone has crap nights I guess and after a blinder of a time at Funky Lush last Sunday perhaps this evened the scales. And looking on the bright side there were some nice :hug: s being shared and it was good to see some people I'd missed at other recent events.

Robert

Minnie M
19th-August-2006, 12:25 PM
I went to the Winning Post at Twickenham - the band was Big Boy Bloater and they were amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing .... the best I have ever heard them. The DJ (Jumpin' Jim) was brill too............ the hall was buzzing and every one really had a good time.

All the crowd were really really friendly, I had lots and lots of dances some with guys I have never met before. Shame you weren't there Dance Demon, you would definitely enjoyed it !!

Baby sitting tonight :sad: but not too sad as I did have such a good night last night :clap:

wayaay bird
19th-August-2006, 12:41 PM
I also didn't have a very good night.

Started off with a couple of bad dances which put me in a not very good mood so i just sat with Erick till he finished his set.
It was very hot and the dancefloor was very crowded right up untill the last half hour or so.
The music started off good but then i was finding it hard to dance to a lot of it.. not my usual style.
I did have some brilliant dances though to be fair.. mikeyr, w_estermann, esg, Neil (sorry not sure forum name) and Taz :hug:

I even got a ride back to my car from Roger (Bandana man) on his motorbike :drool:

Anyway, I'm going Amersham tonight so lets hope i have a better night.

Xxx

Missy D
19th-August-2006, 01:49 PM
For me last night at Ashtons was one of my best nights dancing I have had for a long time. The music at times was a little random but a great challenge.

Too many forumites to name but lovely to see you all.:hug:

Saw Andreas and Robd but didnt get a dance with either of them (one day eh!).

Had some great dances with Kevf and David B:worthy:

Lovely that Dee could come along too - we didnt even lower tone:eek: Maybe this was due to the absence of the Foxy one!

Good to see LilyB - I could watch you dancing for hours.:worthy: :worthy:

Emma
19th-August-2006, 02:19 PM
For me last night at Ashtons was one of my best nights dancing I have had for a long time.Me too ! :)

David Bailey
19th-August-2006, 02:33 PM
Well, I had a crap night of dancing at Ashtons.
Strange - I'm normally the first to whinge ( :) ), but I had a great night. Just goes to show how much of enjoyment is subjective I guess.

You know those times when you feel like you're repeating the same three moves over and over again
Most of the time :)

It wasn't helped by the fact that the venue was very hot (I was embarassed by how much I was sweating) and very crowded and floorcraft (mine own included) was virtually non-existent.
Yes, I got bumped a few times myself, and the heat was fairly bad... Other than that, I liked it.

Sheepman
19th-August-2006, 02:54 PM
I had a good night boogieing on the Battersea barge, but not particularly down to the music & dance. I'd hoped it might be like a weekender blues room, but suspected it was going to be mostly swing & blues, and that's what it was.
Very few Westies there, but I seemed to be in demand being the only WCS leader.

The barge looks huge in the virtual tour, in reality it's, well..., barge sized!
The lower deck (where you can look out and see the water around waist level, has a curved floor, with plenty of planks that move as you tread on them. :eek: The upper deck is small, but an excellent dance floor, with a slight danger of falling down the spiral staircases :really:

I spent as much time out on deck, chatting with people under the stars, admiring the river views, as I did dancing.

Parking was easy, and drinks prices average (?) but I wouldn't go back if there's another one, if there's a decent alternative. Maybe I should enquire about hiring it for a "true" blues night...

Greg

Tazmanian Devil
19th-August-2006, 03:18 PM
Had a great night at Ashtons last night :clap: Soo many forumites I haven't seen for a while there it was good to see you all. :flower:

I wasn't exactly on top form last night, in fact my following was awful :sad: I picked my shoes up from the menders today so hopefully I wont be having a repeat performance of last night (I can't believe I can't dance in trainers anymore) :eek:

Thankyou to everyone for the dances (and putting up with my poor follow) way to many people to mention :worthy:

Have to agree that the last 3 tracks were poor, what was going on the Ian??? There was so many people sitting them out that the stage looked like refusers row :eek:

LilyB
19th-August-2006, 03:53 PM
Had a great night at Ashtons last night :clap: Soo many forumites I haven't seen for a while there it was good to see you all. :flower:

I wasn't exactly on top form last night, in fact my following was awful :sad: .........

Nothing wrong with your leading at all, as usual :respect:

I had a really great night too. Helped to a very significant degree by some deliriously yummy:drool: dances with Andreas, Latinlover, Roger, KevF and a certain young man from Bromley whose name I don't know. And lots of other gentlemen who asked me to dance:cheers: :flower: .

Other than it being very hot and crowded (and the music rather inconsistent after Erick finished), it was one of the best nights I've had at Ashtons in a very long time (that's coz I haven't been for ages:blush: ) - I'll have to start going again more often.

Paul F
19th-August-2006, 04:12 PM
Maybe I should enquire about hiring it for a "true" blues night...

Greg

Can i get a ticket now? :grin:

lindyloo
19th-August-2006, 05:01 PM
Other than it being very hot and crowded .

Wasn't the big fan out?? It should have been

Lory
19th-August-2006, 05:25 PM
Sorry folks but I am just sooooo glad it wasn't just me :hug:

It started off as a good night, I loved the ballroom hour, Kev and I practically had the floor to ourselves for the best part of an hour :drool: , then hells bells, i don't know what happened, all of a sudden, we couldn't move :eek: :sick:

Started off with a couple of bad dances which put me in a not very good mood
:yeah: Not long into the evening, I danced with a guy, who according to 'some' was meant to be an exceptional dancer :confused: Well, all I can say is, WHAT AN ARSEHOLE! He made me feel like a complete imbecile. It was clearly 'his' dance, he didn't look at me once and took no regard for my safety, as he repeatedly rammed me into nearby couples. :( I would have understood more if he were a beginner but apparently he's won competitions :angry:

I don't think this guy is a forumite, at least 'I' didn't know him.

you can't attune to the music and that elusive connection with your partners just isn't there. And no matter how much you try to snap out of it, it just ain't happening. It's the first event I can remember where I was actively trying to avoid people for parts of the evening.

:yeah: I couldn't have put it better myself.

On one hand I really wanted/needed to be asked to dance:o , to lift my mood but on the other hand, I just wanted to be invisible :blush: ( a huge thank you to all the guys who did ask me but sorry I wasn't very good :sad::flower: )

very crowded and floorcraft (mine own included) was virtually non-existent.

RobertI sat out and watched for a 'lot' of the time and I was shocked at how many near misses there were :really:

I wasn't exactly on top form last night, in fact my following was awful :sad: I felt I danced the worse I've danced in a very long time!:tears:

Have to agree that the last 3 tracks were poor

:yeah: I was longing for something smooth and luscious but instead i was convinced the third from last and the last were the same track: confused::confused:

Lastly, a huge personal thank you to kev... if it wasn't for you, I think i'd have jumped from the balcony, you have the patients of a saint :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lory
19th-August-2006, 05:34 PM
It was out Linda, and the doors were open, but it was extremely crowded!

And i just want to add, it was me having a bad night and not anyone in particulars fault!:sad:

David Bailey
19th-August-2006, 05:50 PM
Have to agree that the last 3 tracks were poor, what was going on the Ian??? There was so many people sitting them out that the stage looked like refusers row :eek:
That was a bit strange, yes - I kept on expecting the pace to slow down for the end and it didn't. On the other hand, that's the first time I've wanted to stay till the end at Ashtons... Plus, I managed 6 tangos with CeeCee, so by definition the music must have been pretty good.

(OK, that's maybe a narrow definition but it works for me :) )

It was - usual spot, usual power. I think it's just that it was more busy than normal, more people = more heat. It wasn't really that bad - but maybe another big fan would have helped...

( snip rantage } :( I would have understood more if he were a beginner but apparently he's won competitions :angry:
Well, there you go then - what more "Competitions are Evil" proof can you ask for? :innocent:

I saw a guy, quite young and energetic, dancing towards the end - is that the one? Go on, name and shame, I dare you... :na:

On one hand I really wanted/needed to be asked to dance:o , to lift my mood but on the other hand, I just wanted to be invisible :blush: ( a huge thank you to all the guys who did ask me but sorry I wasn't very good :sad::flower: )
I thought you were great - our Latin "shake your booty" dance was fantastic for me :)

I sat out and watched for a 'lot' of the time and I was shocked at how many near misses there were :really:
Yeah... on the other hand, I honestly think that if the leader's floorcraft is good enough, you can dance your way through most moves without putting your partner in danger. There was never a time last night I felt I couldn't dance because of the crowds.

OK, you have to have eyes in the back of your head, and you have to be ready to alter directions of moves - I certainly wouldn't have called my dancing slotted last night, more like "L-shaped" (!) - but it's doable.

A certain amount of bad floorcraft is inevitable in crowded Ceroc venues - the only thing you can do about it is work on your own floorccraft, so you can do your own thing even if everyone around you is jumping around like a banshee.

Having said that, Clive "I've Got New Red Shoes" Long managed to bump into me and my partner - whilst we were tango-ing, to add insult to injury.... :rolleyes:

EDIT: I've just realised that I'm defending Ashtons and Lory is attacking it. It's a weird world we live in... :eek:

Missy D
19th-August-2006, 05:55 PM
I danced all night and didnt really feel that hot. Maybe its because I came back from Egypt last week and everywhere seems pretty cool. Sis said she was really hot but I thought maybe she was just having a hot flush.

Would it not be a good idea during hot times of the year to provide free water? I find having to queue up for water for 10 minutes or so too long meanwhile nearly fainting from thirst. I know they do this at a few Ceroc venues. Just a thought:flower: I am not one of those that bring the big bottles of their own water into venues but you can see why they do!

David Bailey
19th-August-2006, 06:09 PM
Would it not be a good idea during hot times of the year to provide free water?
:rofl: - I think you forgot you were in Ashtons, remember? The place where the bar staff have held the world "Never Smile" record for ten years' running? :rolleyes:

Yes, it would be a good idea - and free water is indeed provided in some venues now. I don't think this is up to "Ceroc" though, this is down to the indiviual drinks / bar policy of the venue in question. And lots of place now sell bottles of water, usually for £1 - although they're a mere 60p or so in Muswell Hill and Finchley, and £1.20 (!) in Chiswick.

But I can't ever see Ashtons, umm, "Bar policy" changing; they've always been draconian, I think they always will be draconian.

(Whew, back to slagging the place off, all is right in the world)

Lory
19th-August-2006, 06:15 PM
EDIT: I've just realised that I'm defending Ashtons and Lory is attacking it. It's a weird world we live in... :eek:

That is so NOT true!

I was attacking ONE man in particular and the general floorcraft on a crowded floor but more than anything, my own inability to dance well, have fun and lift myself out of my annoying mood :rolleyes:

But not Ashtons its self, its still one of the best Freestyles nights in London!

Kev F
19th-August-2006, 06:48 PM
:rofl: - I think you forgot you were in Ashtons, remember? The place where the bar staff have held the world "Never Smile" record for ten years' running? :rolleyes:

I think this is very unfair on the bar staff.

I had a lovely smile from one of the lovely barmaids last night....and she charged me two quid for it . She said a 'showing teeth smile' was a fiver. :devil: :D

David Bailey
19th-August-2006, 07:39 PM
That is so NOT true!
I most humbly apologise :worthy: :innocent:

But not Ashtons its self, its still one of the best Freestyles nights in London!
Hmmm, I never really thought to compare them - makes me wonder. Oooh, thread idea!

Re: Smiling At Ashtons

I had a lovely smile from one of the lovely barmaids last night....and she charged me two quid for it . She said a 'showing teeth smile' was a fiver. :devil: :D
You should try Finchley - they've got 2 manic bar staff there, I can't recall ever seeing them not smile. Of course, they are very weird, they're probably on something, and they tend to either dance (by themselves) behind the bar or wander off half the time - but hey, that's all part of that particular atmosphere...

Lory
19th-August-2006, 08:24 PM
You should try Finchley - they've got 2 manic bar staff there, I can't recall ever seeing them not smile. Of course, they are very weird, they're probably on something, and they tend to either dance (by themselves) behind the bar or wander off half the time - but hey, that's all part of that particular atmosphere...
I used to go to 'life drawing' classes about 4 years ago, at the Finchley venue, do you recognise my model? :wink:

(well if you don't :blush: she's one of the bar staff :) )

David Bailey
19th-August-2006, 08:39 PM
I used to go to 'life drawing' classes about 4 years ago, at the Finchley venue, do you recognise my model? :wink:
:eek: - Is that a woman... in the nuddy!?!? (So that's what they look like...)

Tsk, I should report you to the moderator for posting dodgy pictures, you probably ought to get some of these reprimand points for that you know,

Hmmm, well, after much intense scrutiny, I dunno. I'll print out a copy, bring it along on Monday and ask shall I? :innocent:

Northants Girly
19th-August-2006, 10:37 PM
Well, I had a crap night at Wellingborough (thanks to the dreadful music) and spent most of the evening wishing I'd gone down the M1 to Ashton's . . . but after reading this maybe not!

But I did get to see alot of folk I hadn't seen for ages though and helped Angelique scoff her birthday cake :drool:

Clive Long
19th-August-2006, 11:03 PM
<< snip >>
I felt I danced the worse I've danced in a very long time!:tears:
<< snip >>
Well I loved my dance with you. What do I know? :shrug:

As already said by others. It was too crowded hence it was too hot. A six T-shirt night for me and I was asked to change three times. Seeing as I arrived at 10pm that's a record even for me.

Regarding being too crowded, it's a business. If people go even if it is too busy for the taste of us "proper" dancers - will Ceroc London turn away the bright-eyed punter ready to pass over his or her hard-earned? Just because there's only space for the armour-plated and the "blues" dancers?

I had a really great night too. Helped to a very significant degree by some deliriously yummy dances with Andreas, Latinlover, Roger, KevF and a certain young man from Bromley whose name I don't know.

Top tip. Don't read the forum for compliments if you have a fragile ego.

I thought you were fab.

My dancing was a little uncontrolled. Don't claim exclusivity DJ. I crashed into at least 3 other people - other rather my partners did when I used them as projectiles.

I had a great time.

El Salsero Gringo
20th-August-2006, 12:07 AM
And lots of place now sell bottles of water, usually for £1 - although they're a mere 60p or so in Muswell HillEr, 50p I think you'll find (everything's 50p - Mars Bars, peanuts, cans, water - keeps the arithmetic simple...)

Ashtons was busy last night, but it quietened down later on, as it always does.

bigdjiver
20th-August-2006, 12:45 AM
Well, I had a crap night at Wellingborough (thanks to the dreadful music) ... I really enjoyed myself at Wellingborough. Dave Archer "plays to the floor" and the floor was always busy. A few of the more advanced dancers muttered a bit, but the majority seemed very happy.

under par
20th-August-2006, 07:08 AM
Er, 50p I think you'll find (everything's 50p - Mars Bars, peanuts, cans, water - keeps the arithmetic simple...)

What sort of sort of people are employed when everything has to be the same price to keep the arithmetic simple:whistle: :whistle:

David Bailey
20th-August-2006, 07:52 AM
What sort of sort of people are employed when everything has to be the same price to keep the arithmetic simple:whistle: :whistle:
U.P., you just have to come to see the bar staff at Finchley... :innocent:

(Although you've already seen more of one of them than most now)

I guess the reason some venues can offer these things so cheap is that they're not real licensed premises - so they don't have the overheads or dumbass bar management policies. Ashtons is a "proper venue", so you get those overheads. Swings and roundabouts...

El Salsero Gringo
20th-August-2006, 10:13 AM
What sort of sort of people are employed when everything has to be the same price to keep the arithmetic simple:whistle: :whistle:Let me introduce you to Lucy sometime. (After I've shown her your posting.)

Mincemeat, mate. That's what you'll be.

Tazmanian Devil
20th-August-2006, 01:36 PM
Nothing wrong with your leading at all, as usual :respect:
:worthy: Thankyou :worthy:

certain young man from Bromley whose name I don't know.
That will be John (non forumite) Absolutley lovely lead :worthy:

:yeah: I couldn't agree more :yeah:

LilyB
20th-August-2006, 02:15 PM
.......... Regarding being too crowded, it's a business. If people go even if it is too busy for the taste of us "proper" dancers - will Ceroc London turn away the bright-eyed punter ready to pass over his or her hard-earned? Just because there's only space for the armour-plated and the "blues" dancers?
Double-edge sword isn't it? The fact that there were so many people there was part of what made for a good night - people were commenting on how many fab dancers there were. And even though the floor was packed at times, I didn't see that many blatantly dangerous moves or inconsiderate dancing. At least not more than normal and certainly no where near the likes of Hammersmith (and no 'refusal row' either!:clap: ).

Top tip. Don't read the forum for compliments if you have a fragile ego.

I thought you were fab.

My dancing was a little uncontrolled. Don't claim exclusivity DJ. I crashed into at least 3 other people - other rather my partners did when I used them as projectiles.
I'm afraid I felt I didn't give you a good dance as we were rather hemmed-in and I had to really contain my dancing so as not to whack anybody with my frequent arm flourishes and leg actions:blush: . I promise to do better next time:flower: .

robd
21st-August-2006, 11:33 AM
I really enjoyed myself at Wellingborough. Dave Archer "plays to the floor" and the floor was always busy. A few of the more advanced dancers muttered a bit, but the majority seemed very happy.

If this is the same Dave who guested at St Neots on Tuesday and regularly plays elsewhere in CC then I am pleased to have foregone Wboro in favour of Ashtons even though I had a crap night there. Judging the quality and ability of a DJ based on how full the floor is at an average CC night is flawed because people go to dance and would likely dance to a random set of saucepans being banged together (which is quite a good analogy for a typical DA set). I also don't see that being an advanced dancer, however you define that, necessarily gives you a more discerning musical ear. What it maybe does mean is that you'll have experienced a sufficient range of musical styles (at weekenders, etc) that you know there is an alternative to non-stop euro-tack.

Robert

Andreas
21st-August-2006, 12:59 PM
Like DJ, I have to say I had a really good time at Ashtons last Friday. Had mostly fabulous dances, so thanks to the ladies that helped me enjoy the night. :drool: As far as the music goes. Yes, it was a bit all over the place but I actually enjoyed that for the following reasons:

it kept people on the dance floor because the speed of the music changed frequently
you were unlikely to dance to two pieces or more in a row that you simply can't find a connection with
it was more likely to have at least one good dance with any person that you danced for two songs or more with because if one didn't suit you or them, the other one was likely to do

So all-over, good night. :flower:

bigdjiver
21st-August-2006, 01:44 PM
If this is the same Dave who guested at St Neots on Tuesday ....
I doubt that it was.

robd
21st-August-2006, 02:39 PM
I doubt that it was.

It was the same Dave.

You'd never guess from his sets of his fondness for Sir Cliff (http://www.dynamiteroadshow.co.uk/dave.shtml)though :rolleyes:

senorita
22nd-August-2006, 08:22 AM
Noooo... :(
I dunno, I wish people would just treat these polls with the seriousness they deserve. I mean, people plan their whole nights out based on them, you know. It's just selfish, selfish I say, to wilfully mislead us like this. The whole balance of this poll is just ruined now :sad:

Hell, I might have to, I dunno, find some non-forumites to dance with tonight or something :eek:

My apologies :flower: , and I agree.
I did have a true geniune reason though for not being able to come, but I hear what you are saying.

I wont vote anymore or post on this thread again. I will just turn up if and when I can :flower: :hug: