PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: "New thread of the week" poll / prize?

David Bailey
11th-August-2006, 03:57 PM
I know we get "best thread" votes at BFGs and suchlike, but who can remember a thread from 6 months ago?

How about a regular function running a poll of "Best new thread this week", on (say) Friday mornings, with the winner getting, I dunno, something or other?

(You can tell this is a well-thought-out concept., can't you?)

It might not even be a poll - could be based on factors such as number of replies, location (e.g. not "silly" threads), number of views, etc.

The reason I suggest this is that it might be an incentive to people to create (good) threads...

Comments?

Alice
11th-August-2006, 04:01 PM
I know we get "best thread" votes at BFGs and suchlike, but who can remember a thread from 6 months ago?

How about a regular function running a poll of "Best new thread this week", on (say) Friday mornings, with the winner getting, I dunno, something or other?

(You can tell this is a well-thought-out concept., can't you?)

It might not even be a poll - could be based on factors such as number of replies, location (e.g. not "silly" threads), number of views, etc.

The reason I suggest this is that it might be an incentive to people to create (good) threads...

Comments?
Well- if it encourages "good" threads, then it might be a good idea... but I think it would just encourage "more" threads...
And it's hard enough to keep up with this forum as it is!! :sick:

What about "post of the week" instead? It would be an incentive to write something interesting/useful, but could be in an existing thread (or a new one)...

David Bailey
11th-August-2006, 04:09 PM
Well- if it encourages "good" threads, then it might be a good idea... but I think it would just encourage "more" threads...
Well, we could also have a "worst new thread" vote... :whistle:

ducasi
11th-August-2006, 04:10 PM
And it's hard enough to keep up with this forum as it is!! :sick:

What about "post of the week" instead? It would be an incentive to write something interesting/useful, but could be in an existing thread (or a new one)...
:yeah:

Though if people were creating threads just for a chance to win a "prize", they probably won't be the ones that would win... Who knows.

I figure, DJ, you could try this yourself. Start a poll once a week with votes and reward the winner with rep. If enough people join in the reward in rep could be quite high.

ducasi
11th-August-2006, 04:34 PM
Well, we could also have a "worst new thread" vote... :whistle:[comic-book-guy]Worst. Thread. Ever.[/comic-book-guy]

David Bailey
11th-August-2006, 06:04 PM
I figure, DJ, you could try this yourself. Start a poll once a week with votes and reward the winner with rep. If enough people join in the reward in rep could be quite high.
I did think of this - then I thought "Nah, that sounds like hard work..." :)

If people think it's a good idea, I could do it later this evening I suppose, try it out?

fletch
11th-August-2006, 06:07 PM
"best thread" (good) threads...

Comments?

Best ones are who's going where at the weekend :na:

:wink: :whistle:

:rofl:

Trousers
11th-August-2006, 06:10 PM
isn't this just making threads for no point in it's own right?

I'm not voting for this thread its s**t :devil:

Beowulf
11th-August-2006, 06:28 PM
Bad idea.. would encourage more well as trousers put it S**T threads.

and before anyone says so before me "Yup.. guilty as charged M'Lud !"