PDA

View Full Version : Dance Fever November

Dorothy
4th-August-2006, 03:44 PM
:clap: Just got my booking confirmed for Perth w'end in Nov., wondered who else is going?

ducasi
4th-August-2006, 03:58 PM
I enjoyed the last two, but I'm not sure how much I'll get from another – might just go for the freestyle on the Saturday.

I'm still open to persuasion though...

Heather
5th-August-2006, 01:04 PM
I enjoyed the last two, but I'm not sure how much I'll get from another –

I don't know how you can say that Duncan - you can never stop learning - I've been dancing for six years now and still get an enormous amount from weekenders like Dance Fever! Southport et al are great fun but the classes are too big for my liking. I much prefer smaller more intimate workshops like those provided by Dance Fever, where the teachers can actually see what the learners are doing and give help if required.

Of course, maybe your brain has gone into overload now that you are learning West Coast Swing and you just can't cope with any more !!:wink: :rofl:

Having only gone along for the Saturday party only at the last one,( due to other prior committments) I would sincerely recommend staying for the whole weekend, the atmoshere is entirely different at any weekender, when you are part of the whole thing.

I intend to be at the next one ( unless I am in Ninewells Hospital for my op), not that that's a reason to persuade anyone!!!:rofl: :rofl:

:hug:
Heather
x

Dave Hancock
6th-August-2006, 12:32 PM
I enjoyed the last two, but I'm not sure how much I'll get from another – might just go for the freestyle on the Saturday.

Having had a look at the line-up I find this view slightly surprising, there are a number of the teachers I can't wait to see, to me it seems probably the most varied dance event in Scotland and there are some outstanding teachers. I'm guessing you've never seen Joseph & Trisha Sewell but these guys simply ooze style and to me are definately among the most accomplished teachers in the UK, be it Jive swing or just styling. Am also excited by seeing Dawn Turner & Emma Hamilton whom I've heard great things about. I'm looking forward to attending all these guys workshops and am sure I'm going to learn and get loads out of these, but perhaps I need it more....

ducasi
6th-August-2006, 04:28 PM
Dave, Heather...

I certainly wouldn't claim I have nothing to learn any more, just that I find it really difficult to apply the things that I learn.

In regular Ceroc/MJ classes I get taught moves that I never use the day after the class. And in classes that teach anything even slightly different from MJ, even if I can remember any of it, I am unlikely to be able to practice it.

Last month I chose not to spend money on the Jango workshops that Franck had organised with Amir in Stirling for this same reason – although I enjoyed both previous Jango weekends I've done, I don't seem to be able to use most of what I've learnt, and so I decided doing a third one would probably be a waste of my time.

And so with Dance Fever... while I've been taught some nice MJ moves, etc., I can't say its made a noticeable impact on my dancing, and except for WCS, I've not taken forward any of the other dance styles I've been introduced to, though the classes were fun. With WCS, I really did find these workshops useful, as I've been able to apply the basics I learnt there in the regular classes I have since been taking.

Coming back to the Dance Fever event in November, I had been looking mainly at the dance styles, rather than the teachers*, so the presence of Joseph and Trisha hadn't really registered with me. They certainly have a good reputation. I've not sure if I've seen them – were they the guys at the Leroc weekend in Glasgow last year? If so, I was only at the Saturday night party where they did a quick class, so I'd certainly like to see them teach a full workshop (will get the chance in Southport next month, but I don't expect I'll be doing many classes there.)

I'm really not sure how interested I am in doing hip hop or disco, but tango sounds interesting, as I'd like to try my hand at that some day. Nightclub 2-step could well be fun, and I'd undoubtedly get something from the WCS classes.

Overall though, it's the fun aspect rather than the learning stuff that attracts me to these events, and to be honest, what would really persuade me would be if I knew some of my friends were going too as then it'd be more fun. Bit chicken & egg, I know, but if any of them are giving this event some thought, I'd really recommend it, and could well decide to come along too.

* Technical note: On the Boogie Nights web site, where it says "hover over pictures for details", that doesn't work on my browser because it conforms to web standards and only shows "title" tags when you hover over an image, and not "alt" tags.

Dave Hancock
7th-August-2006, 01:16 PM
Having re-read my earlier post it comes across that i was being a bit harsh onyou Duncan.

I fully appreciate what you're saying about the learning curve and given that you've only recently started dancing you are probably coming to the stage where your learning of new moves/patterns is starting to slow down as bit as you become more competent and also more experienced.

What I would say about the likes of Jeseph & Trisha and Amir is that sometimes with such teachers it's not always about the moves but the little tit bits they throough in regarding styling, connection and leading that moves your dance on and from this point of view it's a shame you missed Amir and that you may not attend this.

Am sure it'll be a blast, I only made the Saturday party last time, but given we stayed in the residents bar till the back of 4 and it was still crammed it seemed that an awful lot of folk were having a great time and this is one of the reasons that I'll be there in Nov. You're getting better known now and am sure there will be loads of folk you know and failing that it's a great chance to meet some new people.....

Dorothy
9th-August-2006, 04:50 PM
Not sure why my post was edited I didn't realise that was advertising, everybody puts links here don;'t they? Sorry if I did something wrong.

I have to also disagree with Duncan, i've found the weekends to be excellent value and I had a ball last time :cheers:

ducasi
9th-August-2006, 05:27 PM
Not sure why my post was edited I didn't realise that was advertising, everybody puts links here don;'t they? Sorry if I did something wrong.

I have to also disagree with Duncan, i've found the weekends to be excellent value and I had a ball last time :cheers:
Oh, I agree – they are excellent value, and I really enjoyed myself at the previous two. :)

Folks looking for further info I'm sure can PM one of us or Lindsay, or see if Google can maybe find anything about Boogie Nights' Dance Fever. ;)

Dorothy
11th-August-2006, 03:14 PM
Overall though, it's the fun aspect rather than the learning stuff that attracts me to these events, and to be honest, what would really persuade me would be if I knew some of my friends were going too as then it'd be more fun. Bit chicken & egg, I know, but if any of them are giving this event some thought, I'd really recommend it, and could well decide to come along too.

Haven't heard of Joseph and Trisha, so can't comment. From what I read they look kinda good !
What impressed me April was that every class I went to I learnt something new and the teaching was a++ (except one of James McL's classes, I think he was a bit hungover :sick:- think he'd been in the bar with Dave perhaps). I had some of my best ever dances in the evenings, and lurrrrrrved the cabarets!

Can't wait till Nov :clap::clap:

Von
18th-August-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey Mr D

Hope you are going to make it :nice: - this is my 3rd time - I'm all booked up and sooooooooooo excited already :clap: :clap: . It's going to be the only thing that is going to cheer me up after my holiday to Turkey in September!!!!!

And of course you can apply it to any dancefloor. I have been known to apply to the night clubs round Aberdeen!!! not to a perfect standard mind you!!!! :rofl:

If I remember rightly last time we were dancing at the beach ballroom you were applying a number of the moves - and I for a change managed to keep up!!!!!:worthy:

Von:flower:

Razzle Dazzle
18th-August-2006, 04:34 PM
Oh dear, I so rarely post on this forum that I'm never quite sure if I'm doing it right - but here we go....:o

I have only been to one of the Dance Fever weekenders up in Pitlochry (and only one purely because, unlike all of you footloose and fancy free individuals I have family commitments that prevent me from going to everything I'd like to:wink: ). However, I had a fab time and a great laugh (particularly at James's Salsa class - don't quite know if he was laughing at us or with us but either way, his laughter was infectious). I would recommend it to anyone.

And on another note, in relation to a post raised earlier about 'not going to the weekender because I've done a couple before and don't think I'll pick up anything new' (please excuse me if I have misquoted but I am writing this from memory) - well!? :worthy: :worthy: I must see the person who said that perform on the dance floor!!! You must be good. Personally I think that everybody can continue to learn, from any class, any teacher, any dance style - we never stop learning. Anyone who thinks they know it all must surely be misguided.
I think we should thank Linz for organising these events - it's hard work and I for one am grateful that she cares enough to do it. Well done Linz :clap: :)

ducasi
20th-August-2006, 07:28 PM
... in relation to a post raised earlier about 'not going to the weekender because I've done a couple before and don't think I'll pick up anything new' (please excuse me if I have misquoted but I am writing this from memory) - well!? :worthy: :worthy: I must see the person who said that perform on the dance floor!!! You must be good. Personally I think that everybody can continue to learn, from any class, any teacher, any dance style - we never stop learning. Anyone who thinks they know it all must surely be misguided. It's not what I said – I don't think I wouldn't pick up anything new, and I don't think I know it all – please go back and read what I wrote, rather than working "from memory." :sad:

Lindsay
21st-August-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the kind comments :flower: The event is more geared at people who want to develop style & technique, as people have already said. It's not 'move-focused' but you'll get new material for sure. There is a fair chunk of modern jive with lots of other taster classes. But more importantly it's very sociable and civilised :cheers:

Dorothy
22nd-August-2006, 02:27 PM
Hey Mr D
And of course you can apply it to any dancefloor. I have been known to apply to the night clubs round Aberdeen!!! not to a perfect standard mind you!!!! :rofl:
Von:flower:

That's true, I thought my dancing had improved afterwards but it's all about practising, and finding the right partner do it with, and one who'd been at the classes so remembers the moves! Same old......

Tiger Pants
22nd-August-2006, 03:53 PM
Wow loving this........Razzle consider yourself suitably ticked off !! I have been to the last two weekenders organised by Lindsay and must say that I have enjoyed both. The whole approach to the weekends has been geared towards having fun, the classes are small and freindly and the dances in the evenings with spotlights and comps. create a fantastic atmosphere.

On both occassions some of the teachers have been the same but the classes are different each time so I agree with with Dazzle pants that each class gives us an opportunity to learn something new no matter what standard our dancing.

I also agree with Lindsay in the the classes at these weekends are not about move move move but rather style and personnally I believe that weekenders such as these have helped develop my style ( for what it is ) over the past year or so more than any number of moves I have been taught and never use.

Unfortunately, after all of that I shall not be able to make Nov. this year thanks to a certain George Michael not consulting Lindsay before announcing his tour dates and so I shall be in Manchester .......why are birds and bushes coming to mind (or is that BURDZ) oh, perhaps Lindsay can explain sometime !!!!

Hope you all have half as much fun as I have had at the last 2 weekenders and you'll have a great time.

Dance Demon
22nd-August-2006, 05:31 PM
thanks to a certain George Michael .......why are birds and bushes coming to mind (or is that BURDZ)

we all know about George Michael and bushes, but it's got nothing to do with "birds"..:wink: :whistle:

Lindsay
24th-August-2006, 01:15 PM
Yea George did apologise for the clash in dates....

Didn't think Georgie likes/did bushes DD - ? :wink:

Heather
30th-August-2006, 10:19 PM
Will there be a 'Theme' for the weekend ? It would be good to get more than a weeks notice to put together the decor !:whistle: :rofl:

Heather

Dorothy
1st-September-2006, 02:35 PM
Another comment - the weekend wasn't really aimed at beginners, and although I'm an experienced dancer and am relatively new to jive, I did struggle with some of the advanced moves in April, but think I will fair better with 6 more months under my belt in November :D But loved all the styling things. Not a fan of party themes so make it something simple please :)

Lindsay
15th-September-2006, 11:52 AM
Party theme tbc!
nb. single rooms all gone now

SteveB
20th-September-2006, 02:11 PM
It should be a cracking weekend, one of my last up here before i depart permanently to England so i'm looking forward to it even more! Should be cool!

The teacher line up looks fabulous, looking forward to seeing Joseph and Trisha, James is quality and Linz's classes are fab. Dave H as an addition will make for a cracking line up!

Dance Demon
20th-September-2006, 03:13 PM
The teacher line up looks fabulous, looking forward to seeing Joseph and Trisha,

And they're looking forward to being there. Was chatting to them at Southport, and they said they love coming to Scotland.......Oh and BTW the DJ line up looks quite good too:whistle: :whistle: :innocent:

Dorothy
21st-September-2006, 06:47 PM
Yes I am looking forward to the classes, doubt I'll have the energy for all of them so may be forced to spend much of the weekend in the bar like last time :cheers: Any news on that party theme?

ducasi
21st-September-2006, 09:37 PM
Sorry guys, but it looks like I won't be there this time. I'm sure it'll be fab and hope everyone has a great time! :)

Peaches
23rd-September-2006, 04:15 PM
And they're looking forward to being there. Was chatting to them at Southport, and they said they love coming to Scotland.......Oh and BTW the DJ line up looks quite good too:whistle: :whistle: :innocent:

Well i will definitely be there for the sh...te music :whistle: :whistle: :innocent:
looking forward to it.

Keith
25th-September-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi Guys,
We're part of your teaching line up Keith & Janey & just wanted to say how much we are looking forward to being part of it again.
We taught at the last one & had a great time (excluding the Cabaret, when Jane's shoe came off after 20 sec's or so!) We are stapling them on this year!
I understand that a lot of you guys don't know too much about us, so I have put a little bit below so hopefully you will book and join us for a lesson or two.
However most of the emphasis in our classes is on Fun and Technique, rather than move after move etc.
Hope to see you there, and well done Lyndsey Keith :respect:
Keith & Janey’s Dance Testimony (edited edition)

Show’s & Choreography

Produced & Directed ‘Strictly NOT Ballroom’ Plaza Theatre, Stockport.
Accompanying Dancers to many stars including; Will Mellor of Boogie Nights & Holly Oaks, Mike Sweeney Radio DJ & Singer, and Shobna Gulati Singer & Star of Coronation Street
Performed at the Opera House Manchester in Swing Shows; 2004 2005 & 2006
Performed for many Charity Events, inc; The Kirsty Appeal & Five Stars Scanner Appeal
Choreographed Routines for Salsa, Jive & Theatre along with Burlesque shows, all around the country

TV & Festivals

BBC Proms in the Park, working alongside, The Philharmonic Orchestra, Katie Melua & a host of other Stars Sept 06, Heaton Park, Manchester, televised nationally.

Competitions

Joint Founders of ‘Chance 2 Dance’, The UK’s most prestigious ‘Jive Competition’ attracting around 1,500 dancers
Placed no lower than 4th in our last 4; Jive 'Open Advanced' Championships
Judged the BritRoc 2003, 2004, British Open Championships

Teaching

Taught Jive with a Latin Twist at the Print Works, Tiger Tiger, Manchester
Salsa at the Revolution Bar, Manchester and for La Academia, Manchester
Taugh and cabareted in Spain, Turkey, France & Italy over the last 3 years.
Guest Teachers for Newquay Jive, Salsa Jive, Leroc, Blitz, to name a few
Taught for Jive Addiction, at their weekender in Southport 2004 & Scarborough 2006 along with Dance Fever in 2006
We have our own Venue, Revolution Dance, teaching an eclectic mix of Jive, Blues, Swing, Salsa & Tango moves, to around 700 dancers per month.

fletch
25th-September-2006, 02:45 PM
lots of you guys don't know too much about us,

We have our own Venue, Revolution Dance,

Don't you delive it :wink:

:rofl: :rofl:

The best dance venue in the Midlands :worthy:

Keith
25th-September-2006, 02:55 PM
Don't you delive it :wink:

:rofl: :rofl:

The best dance venue in the Midlands :worthy:

Hey Sexy,
I know you do, and yes no problems with the kids :wink:

fletch
25th-September-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey Sexy,
I know you do, and yes no problems with the kids :wink:

see you Saturday :clap:

Bill
25th-September-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi Guys,
Teaching

Taught Jive with a Latin Twist at the Print Works, Tiger Tiger, Manchester
Salsa at the Revolution Bar, Manchester and for La Academia, Manchester
Taugh and cabareted in Spain, Turkey, France & Italy over the last 3 years.
Guest Teachers for Newquay Jive, Salsa Jive, Leroc, Blitz, to name a few
Taught for Jive Addiction, at their weekender in Southport 2004 & Scarborough 2006 along with Dance Fever in 2006
We have our own Venue, Revolution Dance, teaching an eclectic mix of Jive, Blues, Swing, Salsa & Tango moves, to around 700 dancers per month.

And here was me thinking you two just sat around at home and made the occasional trip north to see us cus you had nothing else to do !!!!

Look forward to seeing you - and picking up some tips soon. :respect: :grin:

Keith
26th-September-2006, 12:37 AM
Hi Bill,
No we always make the journey just so Janey can dance with you!
Will be great to catch up,
Keith:cheers:

Heather
12th-October-2006, 11:06 PM
Wow Keith - :worthy: :worthy: That's quite a dance CV you and Janey have there !!
:respect:

Looking forward to seeing you and Janey again - save me a couple of dances !:hug:

Heather
xx

Lindsay
15th-October-2006, 07:32 PM
Will there be a 'Theme' for the weekend ? It would be good to get more than a weeks notice to put together the decor !:whistle: :rofl:
Heather
It's gonna be a Glitter Ball - how easy is that!

Heather
15th-October-2006, 07:51 PM
Just had a hospital date for my operation so I don't know if I'll be fit enough to dance at this now!:sick:
Don't want to miss it though - so I'll just have to glitter and sparkle while I sit and watch!!!:tears:

Heather

Lindsay
16th-October-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the dance CV Keith, you get around don'tcha?
Enjoyed our dances in Spain last week :flower:

Thought your cabaret was fantastic, glad Janey kept her shoes on this time :wink:

Looking forward to seeing you guys up here again, lots more info on the site now re. programme, teachers, etc.

Heather
7th-November-2006, 09:23 AM
:tears: :tears: Just had a look at the provisional programme for this weekender- how pi$$ed off am I that I can't dance for a few weeks while I recover from my op!!!:sick: Looks like I'm gonna miss a great weekend.
I'd like to come along to the Glitter Ball but it's going to be really hard for me to sit in a corner while everyone is dancing.:sick:

Heather

Heather
7th-November-2006, 10:59 AM
I've heard of the 'Time Warp' - I must be living in it!!! Just logged on to the Forum again - I posted today 7th November on this thread - yet the Forum says my last post was 6th November!!! :confused: Spooky!!!! I've heard of living in the past but......oh well, off to jump into my Tardis!!:rofl:

Heather

SteveB
22nd-November-2006, 01:35 AM
Hi all.

I would just like to thank Linz for organising the fabulous event and making it run smoothly and for her kind and generous time alongside me and for the patience that she showed a baby teacher.!

Joseph and Trisha were fab! So were James McLaughlin and Ross his buddy in the showcase.

Emma Sabin and Keith from Revolution Dance put on a great showcase - well done guys in the time that you did it, i couldn't do it, i wouldn't remember everything! :whistle:

Keith, sorry to hear of your troubles on your journey up here, i do hope that the baby and Janey are fine my friend. Will be seeing you soon matey and i look forward to it very much!

Thanks to Keith, MelB, Dance Demon and Ross for getting me out of bed and to munch on them nice sandwiches that the hotel kindly did at that very late hour!

Looking forward to another one day soon!

Cheers!

SteveB...:cheers:

Wendy
23rd-November-2006, 01:20 PM
Pretty much echo what Steve has just said.

I was !!!INSPIRED!!! by the workshops. The musicality one (Joseph and Trisha) blew me away and loved their approach to the blues. Really enjoyed the 2 step one James did and Keith's basic frame etc one and Bill and Fran's one too and looking forward to seeing Graham's manly walk after a men's styling class with Steve. In fact it was hard to choose which workshop to do at times. The groups were small and I DID learn things for a change as they were not moved focused :clap: :clap: :clap: I am always learning when I get the chance and Ducasi I am sure you are too without even realising it. I really think you can only improve through private lessons and (good) workshops. Don' t stop learning - that's like being old before your time :eek:

Well done Emma :worthy: and :respect: to Keith for making it to Perth.0

Sadly some of my favourite guys must have been in Aberdeen so I hope to catch up with them next trip over.

Thanks L (and everyone else behind the scenes) for a well-organised imaginative weekend. And with the luxury of being in the hotel with meals laid it was easy to socialise. Met some lovely people I'd never met before. :D

Wx

PS Even started my Sunday with a BTC massage with Bill Foreman which was indeed BTC and I should know :waycool:

Dance Demon
23rd-November-2006, 03:41 PM
was good to see you and Graham again Wendy. We never got a dance though..:tears: :tears: .....

Wendy
23rd-November-2006, 05:52 PM
Did you mean me or G ??? :eek:

Catch you for a dance or 2 at Hogmanay :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh forgot to say the music wasn't bad :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wxxx

PS what was that French song cos I can't remember and I was trying to see if it was written by Jean-Jacques Goldman. Cos if it is I get a DJ point :waycool:

Keith
23rd-November-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi guys,
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone at Fever, as it made for a fantastic weekend, the freestyle, the workshops & the odd chat in the bar :whistle:
It's always a pleasure to visit Scotland.
Jane sends her love & is now back to normal after the car crash, which happened on our way up to you!
I would like to thank Lindsay and all the girls who helped me out, having to leave Janey at home :sad: You were all fab, Lindsay, Em & MelB.
Em you were fab in our cabaret, must try it again :respect:
Music once again out of this world, hope to see you at Blackpool in March
Cheers guys & I can't wait till Steve travels South to teach us all his manly walk:wink:
:cheers:

Dance Demon
26th-November-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi guys,
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone at Fever, as it made for a fantastic weekend, the freestyle, the workshops & the odd chat in the bar :whistle:
It's always a pleasure to visit Scotland.
Jane sends her love & is now back to normal after the car crash, which happened on our way up to you!
I would like to thank Lindsay and all the girls who helped me out, having to leave Janey at home :sad: You were all fab, Lindsay, Em & MelB.
Em you were fab in our cabaret, must try it again :respect:
Music once again out of this world, hope to see you at Blackpool in March
Cheers guys & I can't wait till Steve travels South to teach us all his manly walk:wink:
:cheers:

Hey Keith...big up for getting there after all the mishaps:eek: ...glad Janey & the wee one are well again. Total agreement about this weekend, was really great, and workshops were great too. Watched James McLaughlans manic line dance class....what a hoot:rofl: ...Joseph & Trisha were fab too....in fact all the teachers....Lindsay & Dave, Steve B, Keith, Bill & Fran,Dawn Turner, all taught fab workshops, and the class sizes were just right too. Nice to be staying in the hotel too. Party night on Saturday had a great atmosphere, and was good to finally get to see the Heaven & Hell team cabaret....all that red PVC :drool: ...and that was just the guys :rofl: Well done Linz for another well organised fun weekend.

SteveB
26th-November-2006, 03:53 PM
Brilliant music John as well, your set on both nights was superb, a DJ of the highest class in my opinion!

Cheers mate!

SteveB!