PDA

View Full Version : August Bank Holiday Weekend

Minnie M
1st-August-2006, 05:36 PM
Not an advert - but understand if moderators delete this ..........

I have just had an email as follows, and as it is a FREE open air event and on a Bank Holiday weekend, I thought I would share :-

River Cultures Festival (http://www.server-space.co.uk/river/couk/frameset.htm)
Museum in Docklands , West India Quay
There will be 5 X 50 minute workshops or classes each day
Teachers are :
Line Dancing,Ken Morum ;
Salsa,Michael Wint ;
Rock n Roll,Jean Le Clerc ;
Afro-Xplo,to be confirmed;
Bangladeshi River Dance,Cid Shaha .
International Folk,Anne Leach ;
Tango,Tango Federico group ;
Lindy Hop,Paul Rose ;
Bollywood,CS .

Lynn
1st-August-2006, 11:14 PM
Oh yes, and what else is on? Thinking of coming over that weekend.:D

(I notice there is a tango bit on that schedule - with the 'famous from other posts Federico', but clashes I think with Jango?)

LilyB
21st-August-2006, 09:54 PM
So, where are people going this weekend then?

There's a very strong temptation to venture out of town to unfamiliar (to me anyway) places like Minstead, Bournemouth, Worthing, Bromley. The need to get away from the Carnival just down the road is a major factor:sick: :tears: .

Or do we run the gauntlet and stay at home, only venturing out to nearby Chiswick or slightly-further-away Finchley, or Putney on Sunday?

Ah ... choices, choices :confused:

ducasi
21st-August-2006, 10:00 PM
Yikes! I haven't even thought about this weekend yet - I'm still recovering from last weekend!

What's on in Scotland? Edinburgh party? Oh yeah, Stirling workshop and tea dance – that's a definite! :)

Minnie M
21st-August-2006, 10:11 PM
Well I'm hoping to go to Woking on Monday - don't fancy Chiswick, so maybe Bournemouth, but it is a long way - or Bromley, haven't done Bromley for a couple of years

Don't understand it - Bank Holiday weekend and very little choice for a Saturday :confused:

Ashton's is on again this Friday but on a Bank Holiday weekend, the drive there will be awful :tears:

jammy
21st-August-2006, 10:17 PM
Well I'm hoping to go to Woking on Monday - don't fancy Chiswick, so maybe Bournemouth, but it is a long way - or Bromley, haven't done Bromley for a couple of years

Don't understand it - Bank Holiday weekend and very little choice for a Saturday :confused:

Ashton's is on again this Friday but on a Bank Holiday weekend, the drive there will be awful :tears:

i shall be at ashton's on friday and chiswick both never been to so lookin forward 2 them:clap:

but missin the Edinburgh party :tears: i missed the last one 2 because i had summit on!

jammyx

WittyBird
21st-August-2006, 11:59 PM
i shall be at ashton's on friday and chiswick both never been to

Scotlands loss is our gain :D Can't wait to see you babes :flower:
I will be at Fulham on Thurs, Ashtons Friday, Chiswick Sat and all the other stuff along with the Tazmanian Bl00dy Devil who is staying at the hotel de Witty as of Friday :D

YAY :eek:

Sheepman
22nd-August-2006, 02:34 AM
(I notice there is a tango bit on that schedule - with the 'famous from other posts Federico', but clashes I think with Jango?) You're right, it clashes with the Sunday t-jive in Putney, I can promise you will get some Tango played if you're in Putney...

There's also a big music festival on at Clapham Common on the Sunday, with 4 stages and 1000s in the crowds, so probably worth avoiding the area if you're trying to get anywhere.

Greg

Sheepman
22nd-August-2006, 02:35 AM
i missed the last one 2 because i had summit on! Would that be a summit as in a gathering of world leaders? :whistle:

Greg

Marc Forster
22nd-August-2006, 05:28 AM
Looks like another full on weekend down London way. Teaching and DJing at Chesham on Friday and at Chiswick on Saturday, rounding off with a workshop and DJ set at Berkhamstead on the Sunday.

Get the feeling that Jammy will be in demand. Be good to see you at Chiswick. We should get you a ticket machine like they have at the supermarket deli. After each song we flip the number and call for the next lucky lady. I'm sure Silverfox could find a use for it when Jammy goes home:devil:

robd
22nd-August-2006, 09:15 AM
Forgive my complete geographical ignorance on the topic but am planning to drive to Putney on Sunday from Cambridge via A1, North Circular, South Circular - is Carnival traffic likely to impact my journey time?

Oh yes, come to Putney Lily :clap:

Robert

Msfab
22nd-August-2006, 09:37 AM
Forgive my complete geographical ignorance on the topic but am planning to drive to Putney on Sunday from Cambridge via A1, North Circular, South Circular - is Carnival traffic likely to impact my journey time?
Forgiven! :flower: The Carnival in Clapham should not affect you too much - from the north youll get to putney before you get to clapham, if you via west or centralish. (I think)

(Thank you Twirly)

Twirly
22nd-August-2006, 09:38 AM
Oh good - was thinking of asking what people were up to this weekend on the way to work this morning :grin:

Am planning on going to Chiswick too, despite the schlep home afterwards... good to know there will be some familiar faces - and some not so familiar ones too :wink:

Is anyone planning on going to HMS Belfast on Monday? I've never been (always had other things on when it's been on) and would like to try it.

Twirly
22nd-August-2006, 09:39 AM
The Carnival in Clapham should affect you too much - from the north youll get to putney before you get to clapham, if you via west or centralish. (I think)

Do you mean shouldn't affect you too much?

WittyBird
22nd-August-2006, 09:42 AM
Is anyone planning on going to HMS Belfast on Monday? I've never been (always had other things on when it's been on) and would like to try it.

I've never been either, where is it? :rolleyes: I am planning on doing the HMS President :whistle:

robd
22nd-August-2006, 09:44 AM
I've never been either, where is it? :rolleyes: I am planning on doing the HMS President :whistle:

It's an exclusive event - no cheerleaders allowed :D

WittyBird
22nd-August-2006, 09:48 AM
It's an exclusive event - no cheerleaders allowed :D

Not even if I do Cartwheels?

robd
22nd-August-2006, 10:00 AM
Not even if I do Cartwheels?

Especially if you do cartwheels :eek:

Not sure about a wheelbarrow though :devil:

WittyBird
22nd-August-2006, 10:01 AM
[B]

Not sure about a wheelbarrow though :devil:

:rofl: PING..........
*gags self*

resisting the urge to reply with pure filth

robd
22nd-August-2006, 10:07 AM

There's a first time for everything, I guess.

Msfab
22nd-August-2006, 10:08 AM
Back to topic.....
Apart from Ashtons on Friday is there anything else on around london/M25 way?

DavidB
22nd-August-2006, 10:10 AM
Forgive my complete geographical ignorance on the topic but am planning to drive to Putney on Sunday from Cambridge via A1, North Circular, South Circular - is Carnival traffic likely to impact my journey time?You should be ok on that route.

The Notting Hill Carnival clogs up everywhere around Notting Hill, including Bayswater Road, Westbourne Grove, Bishop's Bridge Road, Holland Park Road, Kensington Church Street, Harrow Road. The A40 Westway is usually down to 2 lanes and a 20mph speed limit, as the police use it as their control point. It can take nearly an hour to drive 400 yards, and it is impossible to park. The worst times are Sunday afternoon, and Monday afternoon and evening.

A map of the are is at:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Ladbroke+Grove+Station&ie=UTF8&ll=51.517165,-0.210684&spn=0.028628,0.072441&om=1

I don't know about the Clapham Common event.

Twirly
22nd-August-2006, 10:23 AM

:blush: Hmm, maybe I'll try that one too then - might not find many leaders on the other one!

Twirly
22nd-August-2006, 05:23 PM
Fresh Chiswick Freestyle

From the Ceroc London newsletter freshly into my inbox… does this mean that there will be lots of fans there?! :D

WittyBird
22nd-August-2006, 06:17 PM
From the Ceroc London newsletter freshly into my inbox… does this mean that there will be lots of fans there?! :D

No.........

If you see 'Fresh' it means there are 2 rooms :D

Minnie M
23rd-August-2006, 01:15 AM
I've been told that the link to the free dancing in Docklands has a problem try these :-

www.riverculturesfestival.co.uk

www.globalvillagedance.com full program on here

jivecat
23rd-August-2006, 09:48 AM
I can only pick one event in London this weekend to drive to - any suggestions as to the best one to choose? One with a smooth jive/ blues bias, preferably. Chiswick on Sat sounds interesting.

Miss Conduct
23rd-August-2006, 10:08 AM
:rofl: PING..........
*gags self*

Why resist and change the habits of a lifetime?

Is it widely known that Ashton's is on? I was there last Friday and didn't know... until you told me last night. :flower: There's nothing listed on the Ceroc emails that I have recieved either.

senorita
23rd-August-2006, 10:15 AM
Why resist and change the habits of a lifetime?

Is it widely known that Ashton's is on? I was there last Friday and didn't know... until you told me last night. :flower: There's nothing listed on the Ceroc emails that I have recieved either.

Vanessa took a flyer from the front desk advertising this coming friday...:flower:

Miss Conduct
23rd-August-2006, 10:27 AM
Vanessa took a flyer from the front desk advertising this coming friday...:flower:

Yeah like I'd be that organised.....

I would have expected some kind of announcement at least at the end of the evening..... or maybe there was & I just wasn't listening :blush:

senorita
23rd-August-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah like I'd be that organised.....

I would have expected some kind of announcement at least at the end of the evening..... or maybe there was & I just wasn't listening :blush:

I just rang Ceroc London to confirm, and they defo confirmed its defo on..

Its listed on here too :flower:
http://www.ceroclondon.com/diary.htm

Paul F
23rd-August-2006, 02:25 PM
Looks like there is a serious lack of 'chilled' venues arround this weekend :sad: By that I mean Ashtons and Chiswick are usually stifling!

Looks like I will be going though on the Friday and Saturday if there's nothing else on. I get the feeling they are going to be packed :sick:

Rachel
23rd-August-2006, 05:39 PM
Looks like there is a serious lack of 'chilled' venues arround this weekend :sad: By that I mean Ashtons and Chiswick are usually stifling!

Looks like I will be going though on the Friday and Saturday if there's nothing else on. I get the feeling they are going to be packed :sick:Come to Chesham on Friday instead, then. It's less crowded when there's Ashtons or Hipsters on, but still more than enough good dancers. And you know the music will be great, cos Marc's dj'ing.... (me? biaised??)
Rachel

WittyBird
23rd-August-2006, 07:27 PM
Come to Chesham on Friday

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo
We want him at Ashtons :yum:

Paul F
23rd-August-2006, 09:23 PM
Come to Chesham on Friday instead, then. It's less crowded when there's Ashtons or Hipsters on, but still more than enough good dancers. And you know the music will be great, cos Marc's dj'ing.... (me? biaised??)
Rachel

I think I will probably head over to Ashtons. I wasnt very complimentary of the night last time I went but I am all for giving it another go. It may well be a really good night.

Im really looking forward to the T-Jive on Sunday though :nice:

WittyBird
24th-August-2006, 12:01 AM
I think I will probably head over to Ashtons. I wasnt very complimentary of the night last time I went but I am all for giving it another go. It may well be a really good night.

:clap: It's been too long sweetie, make sure I'm on your dance card a few times :flower:

:yeah: see ya there

Mary
24th-August-2006, 12:09 AM

Not very complimentary?!!! That's not like you.:whistle:

M

Lynn
24th-August-2006, 12:53 AM
Drat - Ashtons and a T-jive on the same weekend sounds like a nice combination, and its a bank hol (so could've stayed Sun night and done Berko). I had been thinking of coming over this weekend.

Ah well, think of all the useful things I'll get done round the house instead. And at least I've some tango to go to.:D

Donna
24th-August-2006, 11:34 AM
I might be going to Dance Revolution in Knutsford - (phil & yuko are doing a demo there) Steve's going to sleep for two nights in a mud bath.:rolleyes: (camping)

stewart38
24th-August-2006, 12:39 PM
Back to topic.....
Apart from Ashtons on Friday is there anything else on around london/M25 way?

Is it on this friday , thought it was last friday

The new vamped ceroc web site is such a noisey confusing site that doesnt help :sad:

Sheepman
24th-August-2006, 02:15 PM
Looks like there is a serious lack of 'chilled' venues arround this weekend :confused: I may be more than a little biased, but I thought the t-jive on Sunday, and Monday Meltdown were seriously 'chilled'?
There'll be plenty of fans there, just for you Paul! :wink:

Greg

stewart38
24th-August-2006, 02:21 PM
IS ASHTONS ON THIS WEEK IE 25TH AUG

Ive been text to say it was on last week and not this week :what:

People in the know seem to think it was on :what:

any one confirms gets rep :grin:

and -333 if i turn up and its not :sad:

Twirly
24th-August-2006, 02:26 PM
I just rang Ceroc London to confirm, and they defo confirmed its defo on..

Its listed on here too :flower:
http://www.ceroclondon.com/diary.htm

Do we share the rep? Do I get extra for using the multi-quote facility for the first time and making it work? :flower:

Dizzy
24th-August-2006, 02:26 PM

Ashtons is definitely on tomorrow night :clap:

Bob announced it last night.

stewart38
24th-August-2006, 02:31 PM
Do we share the rep? Do I get extra for using the multi-quote facility for the first time and making it work? :flower:

I couldnt find that page when i went on an hr ago ??

hope more then 50 turn up :grin:

Lory
24th-August-2006, 02:39 PM
I hope more then 50 turn up :grin:

I hope less than last week turn up ;)

Dizzy
24th-August-2006, 02:53 PM
I hope less than last week turn up ;)

Not going to happen I'm afraid. Not with Jammy coming to Ashtons :drool:

Kev F
24th-August-2006, 04:01 PM

All us men are going to Glasgow to take care of his regular women! :devil: :wink:

Claire S
24th-August-2006, 04:37 PM
All us men are going to Glasgow to take care of his regular women! :devil: :wink:Ooooooh!
Yes please! :D :awe:

robd
24th-August-2006, 05:00 PM

Poor Jammy. No pressure on him, is there? Mind you, if you start a whole thread announcing your intention to visit somewhere maybe that's what you want :nice:

Perhaps we could set up a drinks stall by the dancefloor and pass him cups of water to sling back in the seconds between tracks, like the marathon runners do. At Ashtons prices that could be a nice earner.

Lory
24th-August-2006, 05:23 PM
Perhaps we could set up a drinks stall by the dancefloor and pass him cups of water to sling back in the seconds between tracks, like the marathon runners do. At Ashtons prices that could be a nice earner.
And how about clothes changing pitstop? i'm sure there'd be plenty of lady's volunteers to help him out of his clothes :wink: