PDA

View Full Version : Stockport and Northwich

Yogi_Bear
31st-July-2006, 01:16 PM
Owing to a very generous offer from One Railway I'm contemplating a weekend up north before the end of the August. There are at least two interesting possibilities:
Northwich on 19 August (Cool Catz - including North of England 'blues championship');
Stockport on 26 August (Blitz - freestyle).

I can only go to one of these - any views?

straycat
31st-July-2006, 01:45 PM
Owing to a very generous offer from One Railway I'm contemplating a weekend up north before the end of the August. There are at least two interesting possibilities:
Northwich on 19 August (Cool Catz - including North of England 'blues championship');

I can only go to one of these - any views?

We went to the Blitz do last year - thoroughly enjoyed it, had a great time. But.... personally, anything offering good blues would be more appealing. Do you have a link for the Cool Catz one?

Yogi_Bear
31st-July-2006, 01:54 PM
We went to the Blitz do last year - thoroughly enjoyed it, had a great time. But.... personally, anything offering good blues would be more appealing. Do you have a link for the Cool Catz one?

See this
http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/org-details.asp?OrgID=407

straycat
31st-July-2006, 02:07 PM
See this
http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/org-details.asp?OrgID=407

Mmmmmmmm. Wonder if we're free that evening....

I'd go for that one myself :cool:

Gus
31st-July-2006, 02:21 PM
OK ... I KNOW I'm biased (I run CoolCatz), but to add a little to the debate.

Both events are good in their own ways. Stockport Town Hall is a superb venue, biggest dnacefloor outsode of London and will attract about 400 dancers across the North of the UK. Its been going for 10 years or so. Northwich is a nice modern venue with a max capacity of around 300 dancers (we exepect about 200 to 250).

The main difference is the music. Stockport does have a bit of a 'challenge' with acoustics whereas Northwich was built with accoustics in mind. The music set at Stockport, at least last time, is predominantly 80's, club and some popular chart. The CoolCatz set focuses on a wider set due to the more experieneced dancers were look to attract. Music will include nu-Tango, Jazz, Blues and the likes of Pink Martini etc.

If you are looking for a more standard 'Ceroc' type night, then I would suggest that Stockport may be more to your liking. If you want a bit more challenge in your dnacing, then maube CoolCtaz is more to your taste. So, yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice :waycool:

Yogi_Bear
31st-July-2006, 04:22 PM
OK ... I KNOW I'm biased (I run CoolCatz), but to add a little to the debate.

Both events are good in their own ways. Stockport Town Hall is a superb venue, biggest dnacefloor outsode of London and will attract about 400 dancers across the North of the UK. Its been going for 10 years or so. Northwich is a nice modern venue with a max capacity of around 300 dancers (we exepect about 200 to 250).

The main difference is the music. Stockport does have a bit of a 'challenge' with acoustics whereas Northwich was built with accoustics in mind. The music set at Stockport, at least last time, is predominantly 80's, club and some popular chart. The CoolCatz set focuses on a wider set due to the more experieneced dancers were look to attract. Music will include nu-Tango, Jazz, Blues and the likes of Pink Martini etc.

If you are looking for a more standard 'Ceroc' type night, then I would suggest that Stockport may be more to your liking. If you want a bit more challenge in your dnacing, then maube CoolCtaz is more to your taste. So, yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice :waycool:

Thanks - clearly Cool Catz would be more to my liking....:cheers:

Daisy Chain
1st-August-2006, 12:01 PM
The main difference is the music. Stockport does have a bit of a 'challenge' with acoustics whereas Northwich was built with accoustics in mind. ,

:yeah: I stopped going to Stockport ages ago because of the acoustics. I also find it rather a souless venue.

I love the Northwich venue (huge spinny floor, lots of free parking, lots of lovely men, much nicer ladies loos than the Town Hall and best of all, Gus plays my kinda music).

Daisy

(A Tone-Deaf Little Flower)

PS Save me a dance Mr Bear :flower:

Yogi_Bear
1st-August-2006, 12:17 PM
:yeah: I stopped going to Stockport ages ago because of the acoustics. I also find it rather a souless venue.

I love the Northwich venue (huge spinny floor, lots of free parking, lots of lovely men, much nicer ladies loos than the Town Hall and best of all, Gus plays my kinda music).

Daisy

(A Tone-Deaf Little Flower)

PS Save me a dance Mr Bear :flower:

And Northwich also has a blues competition :waycool:
Will certainly save a dance for you Daisy....

Daisy Chain
1st-August-2006, 12:25 PM
Will certainly save a dance for you Daisy....

Can it be a bouncy one? I don't do The Bloos *shudders* all that groping......

Daisy

(An Energetic Little Flower)

Yogi_Bear
1st-August-2006, 12:28 PM
Can it be a bouncy one? I don't do The Bloos *shudders* all that groping......

Daisy

(An Energetic Little Flower)

Well I struggle to do bouncy, but for a fellow Forumite I would have to make an exception.....

Daisy Chain
1st-August-2006, 12:30 PM
Well I struggle to do bouncy, but for a fellow Forumite I would have to make an exception.....

No worries, I can bounce enough for both of us.

Boing.

Paul F
1st-August-2006, 12:31 PM

I love the Northwich venue (huge spinny floor, lots of free parking..... and best of all, Gus plays my kinda music).

:yeah:

I think the word 'souless' is a really good one to sum up Stockport Town Hall. A big room with poor quality sound. Thats about it.

Northwich is so much more cosy and atmospheric with a fab floor. Although I have only had the chance to go to 1 cool catz event I found the music danceable and challenging. It would certainly be my recommendation.

straycat
1st-August-2006, 06:59 PM
Bah. Just checked our diary, and we can't make Northwich :tears:

When's the next one?

Yogi_Bear
1st-August-2006, 09:23 PM
:yeah:

I think the word 'souless' is a really good one to sum up Stockport Town Hall. A big room with poor quality sound. Thats about it.

Northwich is so much more cosy and atmospheric with a fab floor. Although I have only had the chance to go to 1 cool catz event I found the music danceable and challenging. It would certainly be my recommendation.
Thanks - Northwich seems to be winning....

Heather
2nd-August-2006, 01:22 PM
After dithering about for months about having a weekend away - Linda and I have finally decided that we should make a road trip 'south of the border'.
I reckon we will be at the Northwich dance that weekend and hope to get some retail therapy in at the same time!!:whistle: :wink:
I've Emailed Gus to reserve tickets - still waiting for a reply though!!!:whistle:

:hug:
Heather
x

Donna
3rd-August-2006, 01:34 PM
After dithering about for months about having a weekend away - Linda and I have finally decided that we should make a road trip 'south of the border'.
I reckon we will be at the Northwich dance that weekend and hope to get some retail therapy in at the same time!!:whistle: :wink:
I've Emailed Gus to reserve tickets - still waiting for a reply though!!!:whistle:

Heather
x

Wey hey!!

Would be great to meet another forumite from sunny scotland!! :clap:

We'll be there then. See ya soon!

Donna. :hug:

Gus
3rd-August-2006, 03:33 PM
Would be great to meet another forumite from sunny scotland!! :clap: Sunny? How times have you braved the cold desolate landscapes of the Northern Territories?? :wink:

Don't forget we already have a Scottish exile in the form of Royboy, better known as "Lovely Roy" who oft frequents our humble events. We also have another Scottish escapee, the gorgeous Laura, who is going to be one of our guests judges for the Blues competition.:waycool: :grin:

straycat
3rd-August-2006, 03:34 PM
Sunny? How times have you braved the cold desolate landscapes of the Northern Territories?? :wink:

Don't forget we already have a Scottish exile in the form of Royboy, better known as "Lovely Roy" who oft frequents our humble events. We also have another Scottish escapee, the gorgeous Laura, who is going to be one of our guests judges for the Blues competition.:waycool: :grin:

Looks like that wretched wall of Hadrian's just ain't doing its job anymore... :whistle:

Heather
4th-August-2006, 09:01 AM
Sunny? How times have you braved the cold desolate landscapes of the Northern Territories?? :wink:

Looking forward to seeing both Laura and the Lovely Roy again in Northwich!
Will be nice to see you too, Donna.
Thanks for the hotel link in your PM Gus!!!:clap:

Heather
xx

Donna
4th-August-2006, 01:12 PM

Well......never. :o But, if you scroll right down to the bottom of the page, it tells you it's sunny. :wink:

Would love to visit Scotland sometime though, and check out certain dance venues!