PDA

View Full Version : Tech-speak

Stuart M
18th-April-2003, 01:48 PM
Good Friday, stuck in an office unable to do work, because the database server I need to connect to is in Birmingham - where they've just shut everything down for maintenance over the Easter weekend...:reallymad

Anyway, on the subject of IT maintenance, a warning for technophobes: if there's a problem with your PC at work, and the techie person says to you "don't worry, fixing it will be a picnic", punch him.

You see, he doesn't mean it'll be easy for him per se, he 's just using an acronym. PICNIC is tech-speak for "Problem in Chair, Not in Computer"
:D

Similary, be wary of the term "CKI bug" (Chair-Keyboard Interface) and being given the fault reference number ID-Ten-T...

Wendy
18th-April-2003, 02:49 PM
:hug:

Wxxx

Stuart M
18th-April-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Wendy
:hug:

Wxxx

No need to sympathise with me being trapped in work today - I've only had to come to work for 4 months out of the last 6, so I can't complain!

I was so bored this afternoon I hunted down a new avatar - will explain it in due course...:confused: :grin:

horsey_dude
18th-April-2003, 08:10 PM
I have always heard it as PBKAC (problem between keyboard and chair). I think punching them might be a bit harsh... imagine some helpful computer technician (its a stretch I know) fresh out of university, first day on the job, comes down to help some rabid user with a sweating, red face and a vein throbbing in their temple. He sees that it is a simple matter to fix and, trying to calm the situation down, says "don't worry, it will be a picnic" and next minute gets a bunch of fives..... If they look at the problem and then walk off muttering RTFM under their breath then you have some reason to be annoyed.