PDA

View Full Version : Dancing decisions (tango)

Twirly
27th-July-2006, 02:23 PM
I could do with some advice. I'd really like to do a tango workshop (there's one local to me next weekend), but being realistic, I don't have the time/money right now to pursue it as a dance form (whilst doing Ceroc as well). I did a bit on holiday a couple of years ago and did enjoy it.

I'm wary of taking on too much, what with work, learning to drive, Ceroc and supposedly starting my own aromatherapy/massage business (wonder if I can do away with the need for sleep?! :eek: )

The question is, is it worth it for just a bit of fun? Will I be able to use it to inform my Ceroc? I keep reading on here about frame and connection and stuff and wondered if it might be useful for that. Guess I'm thinking that I could dip in occasionally - I did belly dancing on holiday, loved it but know I can't do it regularly so plan on doing the odd workshop. Or is doing that with tango a very bad idea?

Anyone any thoughts? Tango addicts/afficianado's and pure Ceroc folks alike please!

Paul F
27th-July-2006, 02:33 PM
I
Anyone any thoughts? Tango addicts/afficianado's and pure Ceroc folks alike please!

What kind of Tango is it Twirly?

LMC
27th-July-2006, 02:34 PM
Depends on the workshop content. I would suggest contacting them and finding out what they are going to do. If it's teaching moves, then I wouldn't bother.

I have done about 6 or 7 tango lessons, and they were more about walking properly (which takes about 10 years) and posture, balance, frame and connection - so yes, really helped with my modern jive. But learning moves, particularly as a follower, is pretty pointless if you're doing a workshop in a different dance style as a "one off".

Twirly
27th-July-2006, 02:37 PM
What kind of Tango is it Twirly?

Not sure - will find out.

Twirly
27th-July-2006, 02:42 PM
e-mail I have from them just says Argentinean Tango, taught by someone called Claire Loewe - has anyone heard of her? They do a regular Thursday night class too, but it's all very new (only 4 months old).

What I did 2 years ago at Skyros was also AT with a chap called John Harris.

Sheepman
27th-July-2006, 02:45 PM
A viewpoint from a leader, maybe followers will see it very differently.
I have "dipped in" having a few tango lessons during this year, my main problem is that I can remember so little each time I go back. So rather than the enjoyment of having plenty of freestyle dances, any satisfaction is likely to be down to just achieving a couple of things that go well in a dance. At this rate, getting a real buzz from dancing tango is many years off, and I have often told myself that I must find time to do some regular classes, so that I can at least confidently manage a whole dance. This is despite the fact that I regularly do Jango lessons, which means that many of the types of movments required in tango are already familiar to me.

So my conclusion is, be prepared to have to persist with it for a long time, before you really start getting enjoyment out of the dance.

HTH!
Greg

Yliander
27th-July-2006, 03:01 PM
I did a little tango about 18 months ago - learnt a routine which was a mixture of AT and BT - and I have to say what I learnt from that it was very easy to apply the prinipals and techniques I picked up to my Modern Jive

I would say go for it - but be prepared to tango badly but have some fun bits and pieces to add to your modern jive

philsmove
27th-July-2006, 04:22 PM
There is a long thread on learning Tango, which will answer your question in full
In summery
Yes it will defiantly help with the F word (frame)
Whether or not it is fun will very much depend on the Teacher
Beware
AT is completely different to MJ
Not only is the dance and music different but also the people are also very different

Should your give it a whirl

Simple question
Simple answer

YES
Final warning AT can be very addictive

Dizzy
27th-July-2006, 04:29 PM
I went through tthe same thing as you a few months ago when I was deciding whether or not to start doing WCS. In the end, I decided to delay it until I felt that I could put in the effort and the money to learn from it properly and get something out of it. It was the right choice for me because now, I have started going every week and I love it :respect: :clap:

I also do Jango though and the tango style moves that I have learnt there over the last few months has improved my ceroc no-end in terms of basic connection and frame. I can now hold my weight so much better when dancing :D . I don't know if I could have learnt that by only going to one workshop but it has made me a better dancer.

marty_baby
27th-July-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi Twirly,

I'd say call the teach 1st. See if it is a "begginer" friendly course.

If it is - go for it! Bring a partner if you can, so you guys can practice what you learn't - whenever a tango type track comes on during dance nights etc.

It is a difficult dance to master - but is well worth it - a very engaging and rewarding dance to do. I taught what I knew to my dance partner Lyndsey. The penny dropped on the 1st session, but it did take a good few weeks before we where doing it smoothly. Now, Lyndsey is a fab learner of new stuff, and she had 121 with the same dance partner, who encouraged and worked with her each and every session, and it still took a good month before it came together - so please please please don't be put off if you haven't got it the 1st few nights!

Martin x

David Bailey
28th-July-2006, 10:34 AM
The question is, is it worth it for just a bit of fun? Will I be able to use it to inform my Ceroc?
That's two questions :na:

1. No, I don't think it's worth it as "a bit of fun" - it's not really something you can pick up on in a single workshop I think.
2. Yes, it'll help your Ceroc, assuming (as said by others) that the workshop focusses on technique and not form (e.g. frame and not a series of moves).

Having said that, I dunno if an AT workshop is the best way to improve your Ceroc. Ceroc workshops might be better for that, at least when you're starting out with it.

Lynn
28th-July-2006, 12:08 PM
Any dancing will probably help your Ceroc but best to do tango because you want to do tango. Of course you won't know if you want to do tango until you try it, so yes, go along to a class or workshop and see what you think.

In case you do enjoy it, check if there will be an accessible class to go along to, I can speak from experience that its very frustrating to want to do tango and have nowhere to do it, or face lots of obstacles in trying to do it.

I'm going to get to do some tango next month, but I'm starting to feel that it would be easiest to stop trying to learn it, given my situation. But I'm still glad I tried.

KatieR
29th-July-2006, 04:09 PM
So my conclusion is, be prepared to have to persist with it for a long time, before you really start getting enjoyment out of the dance.

HTH!
Greg

I agree, I have been taking Tango classes at least once, usually twice a week for about 3 months now. I have only just got to a point where I feel comfortable at Milongas that I will be able to follow and dance well. There is so much more to Tango than learning moves. To be able to do AT properly you must have mastered balance to a point and how to recognise different patterns that are not recognisable to most Modern Jive dancers, like Colgada's for example, which is where the lady is taken completely off balance to a point.

I think if you are not able to go to regular Tango classes, then your time and money may be better spent. workshops also often expect a certain level of prior knowledge so if you don't have this you can expect frustration and disappointment. (Unless it is specifically a beginner workshop)

Tango is such a wonderful dance and extremely rewarding, so if you dont have time now, it is always worth it to think about it in the future.

Twirly
31st-July-2006, 10:20 AM
I think if you are not able to go to regular Tango classes, then your time and money may be better spent. workshops also often expect a certain level of prior knowledge so if you don't have this you can expect frustration and disappointment. (Unless it is specifically a beginner workshop)

Tango is such a wonderful dance and extremely rewarding, so if you dont have time now, it is always worth it to think about it in the future.

Thanks for all the input folks. I've listened, thought, and decided, reluctantly, to give it a miss for now. I'm very bad for biting off more than I can chew, and I can't really afford the time and money to invest in this right now. But I've admitted that it is something I really want to check out, so am likely to revist it in a few months time.

One of the reasons I wanted to do it was to go to the tango al fresco event – this is the third year I’ve been wanting to go, ever since doing AT on holiday. If I’d done the workshop when I was meant to in June, it would have been fine as I’d have done the regular Thursday night class this place runs in the meantime a few times. But the last part of the event is the 13th August and it’s too much of a rush. I think I’ll take my time and aim to do it next year.

In the meantime if anyone is looking for tango classes in SE London, there’s a new (4 month old) place in East Dulwich called Push Studios. Just hope it’s still there when I do have time to do it!

RogerR
1st-August-2006, 07:51 PM
There really is tango to be found all over london, most nights of the week. You really do have a lot to learn before you start feeling at ease with the start of your tango. The learning curve is NOTHING like MJ, after six classes you are still trying to get the basic form and a few figures, you are not ready to move into intermediates by a LONG way.

Initially you may wish to take a practise partner, someone you are comfortable with, as AT is a close dance and doesn't work if you are uncomfortable that close.

Ceroc will hinder your AT as you expect immediate success, and fulfillment, and you dont get it. fullfillment is intense but after a LOT of work!

I think that Tango Al Fresco is unconfirmed this year. The standard of dancing at T al F is seriously intimidating, (and in daylight there is nowhere to hide!

Try to locate various AT music, make time to understand the music.

Dorothy
4th-August-2006, 03:57 PM
Anyone else tried Tango in Edinburgh - ETS?

The Passion Harem
4th-August-2006, 06:49 PM
The best teachers are Ricardo & Jenni...they have a Pratica on a Monday at Dance for All and it is the best place to Freestyle, learn and improve. They are both away on holiday but back end of August, so watch the website; http://www.rumbosdetango.com/english/index.html

The ETS is very welcoming, Toby the main organiser makes you feel very welcome and encourages you to mingle and will ask experienced dancers to dance with you. I have found the people very friendly however a few friends and I have heard from Cerocers also that have been and never returned due to a bad vibe and attitude they received.

The Atemporal on at the Forest Café this Sunday is also very good. Catriona and Claudia are again great people that will help beginners out and make you feel welcome.

jiveknight
4th-August-2006, 09:12 PM
Anyone else tried Tango in Edinburgh - ETS?

I'm not from Edinburgh but, as I just wrote in the learning tango thread, I just met a tango instructor in Edinburgh while on tour and he really helped me. I would definitely go to his lessons if I lived there. See the above thread if you want to check it out. tango la dolce vita. :nice: (I'm only a beginner though)

Lynn
4th-August-2006, 09:45 PM
I have found the people very friendly however a few friends and I have heard from Cerocers also that have been and never returned due to a bad vibe and attitude they received. Hmm. Never been there, but I am wondering if this is because they compared it to Ceroc? Ceroc is particularly friendly and welcoming. If you compared a tango venue to other tango venues it may be friendly, but compared to Ceroc it might not seem to be.

KatieR
5th-August-2006, 01:17 AM
Hmm. Never been there, but I am wondering if this is because they compared it to Ceroc? Ceroc is particularly friendly and welcoming. If you compared a tango venue to other tango venues it may be friendly, but compared to Ceroc it might not seem to be.

Here in Adelaide, the Tango scene is not for the faint hearted. You must prove yourself as a dancer before you will be asked to dance, or have someone you know to say that you are a good dancer and to ask you to dance. This is what happened to me.

I happened to get to know one guy pretty well and he went and told some of the other guys that I was actually quite good and they would come and ask me to dance. Things then spread by word of mouth and you have people come up to you and say 'so and so said that you were a good dancer I should dance with you.'.

Tango Milonga's are not the most friendly environment if you are on your own. Everyone tends to stick to their little groups and no matter how many times someone asks you to come and join their table, you still feel like a complete outsider. I think it takes years for a person to be able to finally crack these little cliques.

Then the dance floor itself has a whole other set of rules again. one being DONT get an advanced dancers way!

However! I think it is completely different for a guy. I think guys are much more easily accepted than girls. Im not saying that its as easy as Ceroc, but being a guy you are definately at the advantage.

but in saying all this, I still love Tango, I think its atmosphere is what makes it what it is. It makes it so much more rewarding to really earn people wanting to dance with you. There really is nothing more satisfying than having an advanced Tango dancer come and ask you to dance because they love the way you dance.

Lynn
5th-August-2006, 02:10 PM
Here in Adelaide, the Tango scene is not for the faint hearted. You must prove yourself as a dancer before you will be asked to dance, or have someone you know to say that you are a good dancer and to ask you to dance. This is what happened to me.

I happened to get to know one guy pretty well and he went and told some of the other guys that I was actually quite good and they would come and ask me to dance. Things then spread by word of mouth and you have people come up to you and say 'so and so said that you were a good dancer I should dance with you.'. Hmm, might be a long time before I get many dances then! Though some are willing to ask not knowing anything about you. At the milonga in Dublin when one clearly experienced dancer asked me up I said with a nervous smile 'You don't know what you're letting yourself in for'. He smiled back and said the same! Instantly put me at my ease and made me very aware of the difference with really experienced leads - they are able to relax me and get me to follow as best I can and don't mind if I don't.

Tango Milonga's are not the most friendly environment if you are on your own. Everyone tends to stick to their little groups and no matter how many times someone asks you to come and join their table, you still feel like a complete outsider. I think it takes years for a person to be able to finally crack these little cliques. I've been to one practica and two milongas and haven't been back to any of the venues (simply because none are in NI). The milongas - one I went completely on my own and knew no-one. The woman on the door and two men who asked me to dance were the only ones who spoke to me. I very much felt an 'outsider'. The other one I went with someone but didn't really see him after the class much - but a lot more people chatted, asked me to dance and were friendlier. Still not as welcoming as a Ceroc venue. I haven't had the chance to go back to either venue but I guess it would take time to build up friendships and be 'accepted'.

However! I think it is completely different for a guy. I think guys are much more easily accepted than girls. Im not saying that its as easy as Ceroc, but being a guy you are definately at the advantage. Not sure about that. I think its scarier for a guy at a milonga as they have to lead! I think its probably harder for a novice guy dancing with an experienced follower than the other way round.

Guys, care to comment?

David Bailey
5th-August-2006, 06:17 PM
I think the Tango scene in London is similar - I was talking to a woman who went to a venue a week ago and got two dances the entire night. She wasn't disheartened however, apparently that's all part of the process of getting yourself "known" on the circuit.

Each dance culture has its own rules - it's not realistic to expect all partner dance cultures to behave like a MJ venue.

However! I think it is completely different for a guy. I think guys are much more easily accepted than girls. Im not saying that its as easy as Ceroc, but being a guy you are definately at the advantage.
I think you're right, thank goodness. :)