PDA

View Full Version : HDD for a MP3?

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
21st-July-2006, 08:11 PM
Hiya,
I am looking to buy an MP3 player, I heard that a HDD isn't as good as a PSS?
So is it true? Should I stay clear of HDD's and go for the PSS? Any answers 4 me? :nice: x

ducasi
21st-July-2006, 10:41 PM
I guess "PSS" is a techy term for "flash" storage. (I'm not so techy, so don't know all these techy TLAs.)

What is comes down to in the hard disk vs flash players is that hard disks can have much, much higher capacity, but will of course be bigger and the battery won't last so long.

What you need to do is decide how big (capacity-wise) you need your MP3 player to be, and look to see what you can afford.

I've got a 6GB iPod mini (can't get them any more.) They are based on very small HDD technology. Even though I can only fit a fraction of my music collection on it, I find its small size to be a more important feature to me.

That said, I don't know if I'd be happy with a 4GB iPod nano, which is based on flash technoloy – I think that's maybe just a touch too small.

Of course, there's always newer, better MP3 players coming "real soon now". I would love to have a 16GB iPod nano, but I fear such a thing won't exist this year or even next.

Hope this helps. :)

Beowulf
22nd-July-2006, 10:59 AM
I have a 20GB zen touch mp3 which has a hard drive and not flash storage. I have had no problems with it although there are things you must consider.

You can't run or jog with it and it's a "little bigger and heavier" than some of the flash storage devices (ok.. it's a little white housebrick.. but it still fits in my shirt pocket) The battery life on my zen is actually very good.. manufacturers claim 24 hours continual play and I have to say in practice I've not been far off that. It's never stopped playing on me even when the battery bar was reporting it was empty !!

It's like everything, you have to decide what you want to do with it, how much you want to store, how small you want it etc then pick the best one for you.

Tessalicious
22nd-July-2006, 11:07 AM
I have one of these, (http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=NW-A1000&productsku=NWA1000V.CEK)which I love - a Sony mp3 player, about the same size as a mini Pod-thing, 6GB memory - I don't know anything about the HDD vs PSS techy jargon but this serves be very well, and looks cuter than anything that isn't an iPod that I've seen (and also comes in pink and blue, as well as the sexy purple).

Consider this a recommendation for a perfect size/capacity replacement for an iPod mini, or a great little mp3 player that's easily portable, not as small memory-wise as a nano, and less likely to get nicked. The computer end of the software's not great, but you don't have to deal with that very often, so should be fine.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
23rd-July-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am gonna go with the one Tessa has recommended though :D

clevedonboy
23rd-July-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am gonna go with the one Tessa has recommended though :D
Take care with the Sony that you don't use it on a PC that's really important - The software is a tad unreliable and can have unfortunate side effects (google for Sony Connect Software).

As for me - I've got an iPod that is dying and I'm maybe going to replace it with an iRiver H10 (another brick) but it has the advantage of working with DRM encoded files from Napster which is my main new music source

Dreadful Scathe
24th-July-2006, 12:36 PM
Best to get you un-DRM encoded music from allofmp3.com.

Also Id be wary about getting an mp3 player that relies on software for transfering files, any music player should simply show up as an external device you can drag and drop to if you so wish.

killingtime
24th-July-2006, 02:42 PM
Also Id be wary about getting an mp3 player that relies on software for transfering files, any music player should simply show up as an external device you can drag and drop to if you so wish.

I don't agree. I love iTunes and all the Smart Playlist stuff is niffy. It's automates a whole rotation process on my 2GB Nano.

Dreadful Scathe
24th-July-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't agree. I love iTunes and all the Smart Playlist stuff is niffy. It's automates a whole rotation process on my 2GB Nano.

You could still do that as well as an option. Im wary of being locked into a particular software and not having the option of dragging and dropping, using on any PC or MAC without having to install any software, playing through usb equipped car steros etc...

tsh
24th-July-2006, 05:59 PM
Does itues still use 128k sampling? (try comparing the sound from a CD version with a downloaded version, the difference is fairly clear!)

I was amazed that WMP wanted to re-sample all my music which I'd carefully ripped at 320kbps down to 192 kbps before it would transfer it to my archos. (which acts as a video recorder as well - but the user interface and physical design are apalling)

Sean