PDA

View Full Version : What is the essence of a butterfly?

jiveoholic
18th-July-2006, 08:25 PM
It is unlikely that you to consider yourself an intermediate (whatever that means!) without having lead or followed a "butterfly". But what is the essence of the butterfly? Which bit of the move is the butterfly bit and which is just a lead in and out?

Is it the lady whirrling around the man's left side?
Is it the lady transferring from his left hand side to his right hand side behind him?
Is it a whirrl on his left hand side, the movement to his right hand side and the whirl around to his front (unless you give the lady an easy run like I do and turn yourself 180 CW) - like a flutterby flapping around you?
Is it just the act of holding your hand up like buttefly wings>

I will take a majority vote on this one!

Richard

spindr
18th-July-2006, 09:24 PM
It's the turning movement when the lady is at your RHS -- the crossed hands make a sort of figure-8-on-side (infinity) shape as the hands go over both partners' necks -- fancifully viewed as a symmetric butterfly shape (think Rorschach test). Used to be danced in a single MJ count -- but tendency to dance slowly over two now :(

SpinDr

LMC
18th-July-2006, 09:28 PM
If that is the move I think it is, then in some cases, the slower the better IMO :devil:

jiveoholic
20th-July-2006, 09:42 PM
It's the turning movement when the lady is at your RHS -- the crossed hands make a sort of figure-8-on-side (infinity) shape as the hands go over both partners' necks -- fancifully viewed as a symmetric butterfly shape (think Rorschach test). Used to be danced in a single MJ count -- but tendency to dance slowly over two now :(
SpinDr
Thanks....although when I searched cyberspace the ballroom dance fraternity seem to use "butterfly" when the man is behind the lady L-L, R-R with hands held up like wings!

spindr
20th-July-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks....although when I searched cyberspace the ballroom dance fraternity seem to use "butterfly" when the man is behind the lady L-L, R-R with hands held up like wings!
There's always a multitude of terms, e.g. the "essence of a basket" is also known as "the sweetheart position".

SpinDr

jiveoholic
20th-July-2006, 10:03 PM
There's always a multitude of terms, e.g. the "essence of a basket" is also known as "the sweetheart position".

SpinDr
On that subject, I was also trying to find a description of the jive "sway position"....I could only come up with "cuddle" from swing sites. The point is that I would like to reserve the term "sway" for a particular action that can occur in any position (cuddle, basket,neck-wrap etc), ie the man can sway the lady back and forth.

cms
20th-July-2006, 10:19 PM
On that subject, I was also trying to find a description of the jive "sway position"....I could only come up with "cuddle" from swing sites. The point is that I would like to reserve the term "sway" for a particular action that can occur in any position (cuddle, basket,neck-wrap etc), ie the man can sway the lady back and forth.

the only time iv heard the term 'cuddles' in jive is where you are face to face with your partner and he puts your left arm over his left shoulder then your right arm over his right shoulder then the woman keeps her arms straight as she shimmies backwards away fro him, usually to a count of four

spindr
20th-July-2006, 10:25 PM
the only time iv heard the term 'cuddles' in jive is where you are face to face with your partner and he puts your left arm over his left shoulder then your right arm over his right shoulder then the woman keeps her arms straight as she shimmies backwards away fro him, usually to a count of four
Well, I use cuddles (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/cuddles.html) to be like a basket -- but when one partner is directly in front of the other, rather than at the side :)

jiveoholic
20th-July-2006, 10:35 PM
Well, I use cuddles (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/cuddles.html) to be like a basket -- but when one partner is directly in front of the other, rather than at the side :)
So....any ideas what I should call the "sway position" (lady to RHS of man facing forward, man's right hand at lady's right hip, loosely holding onto her right hand, left arms free or holding)?

spindr
20th-July-2006, 11:33 PM
So....any ideas what I should call the "sway position" (lady to RHS of man facing forward, man's right hand at lady's right hip, loosely holding onto her right hand, left arms free or holding)?
I'm a traditionalist, so "sway position" (possibly a "lady sway position", rather than a "man-sway position (or guitar)")?

But Ermintrude would also work, as long as you explain what you mean -- ooh, I'm coming over all Lewis Carol :)

SpinDr.

cms
21st-July-2006, 01:06 PM

cool - always good to learn new terms! :nice: and as long as i can follow the move alls good! :flower:

C xx