PDA

View Full Version : how much do dance shoes influence your style?

Caro
17th-July-2006, 07:23 PM
yes, this is ANOTHER shoe thread :D ...

I got to wonder how much of one's dancing style is influenced by the shoes they wear.

When I first started ceroc I had flat, normal (non-dancing) shoes and I thought they were fine - I actually remember swearing to a friend of mine that I would NEVER, ever buy those ugly black 2" cuban heel shoes (which were the most comon dance shoes at my venue). :whistle:

After a few months, I went to a dance shop in Aberdeen and to my utter surprise (and almost disgust!) I bought the black, 2" cuban heel shoes :eek: (pic 1).
That's when I discovered how much easier it was to spin with proper dance shoes :really: :nice: ! So although I didn't like the look of them, I enjoyed the feel of them while dancing, and used them for every class / party I was going to.

Before I had those shoes, I used to do some (small) kicks when stepping back - which were poorly done and were actually disturbing my leader and the dancing.
Now with the new shoes it was much harder to do those kicks (so I stopped doing them), and they also improved my posture.

So in brief, shoes with moderate heels smoothed out some of my dancing, helped with spinning, and improved my posture.

I then bought 3" shoes and realised that I couldn't dance ceroc with them: my balance was just not good enough and I was too slow with them. Never used them again :blush: :( .

I then bought trainers (like in pic 2) and it was a small revolution in itself: I could dance faster, and for much longer since they were really more comfortable! It also made me very slightly more bouncy (I'm not a bouncy dancer though and don't think I've ever been :innocent: ).

I danced in trainers for a long time until a few months ago when I bought flat, thin soled jazz shoes (like in pic 3) and it was yet another small revolution in my feet. Although less comfortable than the trainers (took a couple of weeks to 'grow' much needed hard skin on the balls of my feet and stop having blisters), they were also much faster and my feet were suddendly doing plenty of stuffs they'd never done before. My style got a bit more 'funky', WCS like, yet also much smoother. Incidentally I started WCS at the same time and thought they were the perfect shoes for that style of dancing.

I sometimes wear shoes with heels for a party if I have a dress but mainly wear my flat jazz shoes now, and don't think I would be as happy dancing in trainers now.

Now I also wonder: were those improvements / changes in my dancing actually down to the shoes themselves or were they just part of a natural progression path? :confused:

And what is the next step in shoes now?!

Anybody else who thinks their shoes have influenced their dancing, and care to explain to what extend? :flower:

Or can you dance any style in any shoes? (like 'funky' in high heeled shoes for example?)

littlewiggle
17th-July-2006, 07:37 PM
Me too - I started to dance in normal highish heeled shoes and thought I was getting on fine. Bought 3" heeled shoes in every colour - as you do but then realised that my knees were really hurting at the end of freestyles. I bought some sparkly silver shoes with a 2" cuban heel and suede sole and found I could spin better and my knees recovered. I now realise I cannot dance in 3" heels despite wearing them to work most days! I then progressed to Werner Kern Mary sandals which are gorgeous but too narrow...(thanks to a friend on Friday night for letting me swap shoes so I could carry on dancing :flower:) Why do dance shoes say size 4 when they really mean size 3! Such a waste of hard earned pennies :sad:

I have recently bought a pair of the not so gorgeous black new yorker type shoes - waiting for them to arrive - hope they fit!

I am now intrigued to try a pair of jazz shoes - but do they protect your feet? I am not sure there would be enough support.

No matter what though - I will NEVER been seen in a skirt or dress with dance sneakers - it looks so ugly and can ruin an outfit just like that!

LMC
17th-July-2006, 08:08 PM
Shoes are good :D

I am a big fan of jazz shoes, although as Caro says, it takes a little while for your feet to toughen up. I also find my feet are faster in jazz shoes than in my heels. The main problem I find is that the dye tends to run as my feet get a bit, er, glowy, and I have *really attractive* black feet at the end of the night :yum: :blush: I know I could get white or flesh-tone jazz shoes, but they show the dirt too much.

I have 3 pairs of shoes with 2 in heels, never gone higher than that. I think they look nicer if I'm wearing a skirt or dress. They also put my weight in a "better place" i.e. more towards the ball of my foot.

I bought my first pair of Oxford-style shoes with a 1 in heel at the BFG, and they are also very comfortable - I will persevere with them and almost certainly replace, as they seem to be a happy medium between the flat shoes and the higher heels. Never had trainers, never want them.

spindr
17th-July-2006, 08:47 PM
Started with leather-soled brogues straight from the shoe shop -- still buy them for the office and wandering to the venue -- great when you accidentally forget your real dance shoes. Pretty reasonable for dancing, you get a fair connection with the floor -- ok for spins -- rubber heel great for stopping, but less so for sliding, etc.

Then moved on to ballroom dance shoes -- much lighter and a much thinner sole -- get a great connection with the floor.

Then moved on to dancing MJ in cross-trainers -- reasonable, as long as they're fairly worn in -- even get a fairish double spin. Really comfy.

Then traded "up" to split dance trainers -- still fairly comfy, less arch support -- a bit better for spins. The problem is that the "thick" soles mean that you lose connection with the floor.

At the moment, I've traded up to two inch cuban heels -- the heels are great for hook spins, and I've now got the hang of heel slides. They can be a trifle tiring for a complete evening, but you get a great connection with the floor for nailing those spins.

If I'm organised I try and bring a couple of pairs -- then I can swap to a different cool pair during the evening.

SpinDr

Lynn
17th-July-2006, 11:51 PM
Due to a lack of choice in local shops (all too wide) I didn't get my first pair till my first weekender - trainers as I wanted something comfortable and practical. They were ideal as being my first weekender I did loads of workshops and my feet didn't get tired. But I still wore fashion shoes for freestyle with a skirt.

Next weekender (a few months later) I got suede soled 2 1/2" strappy sandals and loved them. Yes they did improve my dancing. I could spin better, I could wear them for hours without rubbing or my feet hurting, they had my foot in the right place so my balance was better, they were lighter. And they did make me feel more confident, and of course that helped my dancing.

I was sold on dance shoes from that point on and wouldn't dance in anything else. When I went to any salsa venues I couldn't wear my dance shoes (spilled beer, broken glass, very dirty floors) and found my knees getting sore.

I have jazz shoes, they are incredibly comfortable but my feet get tired in them so I don't wear them much. When I want something a little lower I change to my Freed Romas (lace ups). If I ever did get to go to WCS classes, they would be the shoes I would wear.

If I'm leading I prefer my trainers or Romas (depending on venue), for freestyle I prefer my heels.

I can't tango in my trainers, I can't do funky in my heels. (OK, I can't really do funky at all, but I can't even attempt it in my heels, it just feels all mismatched and 'wrong').

If I'm organised I try and bring a couple of pairs -- then I can swap to a different cool pair during the evening. Would always bring at least two pairs. Went to tango in Dublin last week and as travelling very light I only brought one*, and it felt strange!

*One pair that is, not one shoe. Though that would be strange.

Piglet
17th-July-2006, 11:56 PM
I prefer to dance in my cuban heels shoes cos I spin much better with those on - my trainers I don't spin so good in these days, but if I've done a whole weekend of workshops then at least they're comfy.

Where did you get your jazz shoes from? I've eyed them up on other dancers for a while, but not been curious enough to try them yet.

I also like dancing in moccassins - very slippy :D Great for sliding across the floor, Gadget styley! :hug:

jivecat
18th-July-2006, 12:06 AM
Hmm, your shoe wardrobe looks identical to mine, except for the jazz shoes.....and I'm planning on getting a pair of those.

I started off dancing wearing ordinary street boots, and wondered why spinning was so difficult.

I think I damaged my feet in the early stages by wearing unsuitable shoes.

My Bloch trainers hurt to start with but that didn't last long. (The lack of arch support took a bit of getting used to.) Now I wear them everywhere, even to work, sometimes.

I love my trainers the best. I like the thick, cushiony soles. I like feeling totally grounded and balanced in them. They add to my energy rather than deplete it. I like the way they help my balance rather than challenge it - dancing's quite challenging enough without additional footwear-inflicted difficulties. I like the way they don't hurt my feet. Sore feet make me tense and edgy. Because I feel more secure on my feet while wearing trainers I think I am more inclined to relax, and freer to experiment. Footwork feels great because my feet feel more natural. However, they don't spin particularly well, and they look dead ugly. I would only wear them with trousers, and that influences my dance style as well. I have seen girls look good wearing them with a skirt, but only if they are extremely slim with tiny feet.

Having lived through the bra-burning feminist excesses of the 70s and 80s I believed high-heeled shoes to be the work of the devil (sorry, Tessalicious)- until I discovered Ceroc and even more pertinently, TANGO, which clearly is going to require investment in a pair of 3" killer stilettoes sometime soon, if I'm to do it at all properly. Skirts and dresses have to have the right shoes to make them look good and this usually involves high heels. I still don't enjoy wearing them, though. Even if they're not a masculine instrument of female oppression (though they probably are) they effing hurt. And they stop me running around as much as I'd like to.

I've recently done a bit of dancing in ballet shoes and I like the way my feet feel completely in contact with the ground, and flexible. So my next plan is to get some jazz shoes 'cos they'd be good with jeans/trousers etc.

MartinHarper
18th-July-2006, 01:04 AM
I sometimes make myself dance in a pair of regular trainers to force myself to actually take steps and transfer weight, as opposed to sliding everywhere. You know you need help when swing footwork becomes "left-ish, right-ish, mostly left, kinda right". So yeah, shoes affect style.

I was never clear on why Tango requires high heels, by the way. What's the deal?

jivecat
18th-July-2006, 01:20 AM
I was never clear on why Tango requires high heels, by the way. What's the deal?
The red satin dresses split to to the thigh and the seamed fishnet stockings don't look right without them. (Sorry, Germaine, you were saying....?)

quiet_flame
18th-July-2006, 07:51 AM
I've drifted in and out of different shoes, depending on my mood, and style at the time.
Currently I'm dancing in $20AUD sneakers that fit really comfortably.
I can get a mostly clean double out of them depending on the floor and how tired I am.. I'm thinking once I wear out the sole (it isn't taking long) I'll get them re soled with Dance Suede to keep dancing in them and still keep the comfortabel fit.

I used to only dance in the split sole (chunky version) dance sneaker.
They were comfy, and because of my dance training, the lack of Arch support wasn't really an issue. My arches were (and still are) extremely strong. I've stopped dancing in that particular type of sneaker because I've since found them "clunky"... but mainly because I'm sick of paying large amounts of dosh to have them last the same time as a $20 pair of sneakers:mad:

I've also got a pair of standard Ballroom shoes by Supadance, and they're lovely.

In the sneakers I tend to dance low, with more of a funky/hip hop style.

In the Ballroomers I will be more upright with more footwork varitions and connection patterns with my partner.

The shoes will affect my style because they have a different feel on the floor and on my feet. The sneakers have got more grip. But are still light as a feather. It's lovely.

I am trying to find a low profile jazz shoe (like the elastofit from BLoch) in my shoe size (ginormous) but this is proving rather difficult. Damn me and my tallness!

straycat
18th-July-2006, 10:28 AM
I sometimes make myself dance in a pair of regular trainers to force myself to actually take steps and transfer weight, as opposed to sliding everywhere. You know you need help when swing footwork becomes "left-ish, right-ish, mostly left, kinda right". So yeah, shoes affect style.

Never thought of doing that - yeah - it's a nice idea. I prefer skiddy shoes because of how much easier it makes a lot of things, but it certainly can make me quite lazy with my footwork. Have to try this.

Heels encourage a particular way of walking, which suits tango down to the ground - particularly, it makes that toes-pointed foot-sliding effect much easier, which is why men's tango shoes have similar heels to cubans (which reminds me - mine should be arriving any day now :grin: )

Yliander
18th-July-2006, 11:27 AM
I’m pretty much a heel girl all the way – being short heels are my friend

I have 5 pairs of dance shoes and yes the shoes I am wearing will affect my style.

I started out with the trusty character shoes – they are hard wearing and give lots of support – in these my foot work tends to be neat and tidy and pretty basic – these days I use them mostly for teaching or if my feet are really playing up as the support helps them.

2.5 inch heels make me feel very elegant and graceful although I don’t know that I actually look that way I have to pairs at this height one latin sandal and one shoe. The sandal is lovely light and delicate with huge amount of flex which allows me to really point my feet and feet very connected to the floor, the shoes don’t have as much flex but are a nice change and a have a little more support than the sandals – in this height heel I tend to be naturally more upright – sort of ballroomy – I can do funky in them sort – the main problem there is that I don’t do funky well but am working on that.

Do have a pair of dancesneakers – but I rarely wear them for dancing as while they are very comfortable to wear after just on or 2 dances my feet ache – in addition because of the thick soles I feel very disconnected from the floor – these sneakers are going to last me for ever I think as I wear them so rarely now – mostly to or from classes and if think I am going to be dancing out side. And I never wear them with a skirt or dress always trousers – they just never look good with a skirt way to clunky. When I do wear them I feel more bouncy – not sure if I am actually but that is how I feel and also feel clunky as the shoes are so big around my floor – I tend to feel a bit more disconnected from my partner as well.

Next shoe on my shopping list is either a Cuban heel supadance sandal or a jazz shoe – or maybe both – the sandal is because I am wanting to do more wcs and the balance in the higher heel seems wrong for the foot action – if I ever get good then I can go back to my beloved heels and the jazz shoe is in aid of taking care of my bad foot and to help develop my funky stuff better – as while I don’t do it well barefoot or heels – I do feel that I am more comfortable playing with it when I am in bare feet (also the people I am watching do this stuff all seem to dance in flats) and once again once I have learnt it then I can return the my beloved heels

straycat
18th-July-2006, 11:42 AM
(which reminds me - mine should be arriving any day now :grin: )

Woohoo! They just turned up! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Talk about timing :cool:
Happy now :D :D

Bop
18th-July-2006, 12:15 PM
Interesting I've been through the same progression.

Initially I bought 2in cuban heeled shoes, tried 3" heels, but couldn't dnace in them, then bought block trainers and have recently bought jazz shoes, although mine aren't laceup but have a cross strap.

Before I bought the jazz shoes, I would wear either of the other two depending on what else I was wearing, but probably trainers most of the time. If it was a party I'd often wear a dress and my heels.

Now I can just wear my jazz shoes with anything, but I do end up with black feet :(

I did find that aerials were more tricky with heels, but trainers or jazz shoes are fine.

Bop

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
18th-July-2006, 12:22 PM
I am now intrigued to try a pair of jazz shoes - but do they protect your feet? I am not sure there would be enough support.

Surprisingly I don't like dancing in jazz shoes, I can't spin in them or get enough support, however they were a size too big, would a smaller size a huge difference?

Gadget
18th-July-2006, 12:41 PM
The correct fitting shoes make a huge difference.

(Never did get why women buy/wear uncomfortable shoes :confused: )

Caro
18th-July-2006, 12:44 PM

cause some of them are just so gorgeous it doesn't matter how they feel. Isn't that obvious? :wink:

Yliander
18th-July-2006, 12:45 PM
I did find that aerials were more tricky with heels, but trainers or jazz shoes are fine.

Bopfor me it is/was the other way around for aerials - when learning them at least - they were easier in bare feet or heels - in the dance sneakers I would loose my connection with the floor - and if I couldn't do the move in heels well then what was the point :D

Paul F
18th-July-2006, 01:07 PM
I have 5 pairs of dance shoes and yes the shoes I am wearing will affect my style.

5 pairs!!!

I thought it was law that all women own at least 127 pairs of shoes for any occasion? :D

Lynn
18th-July-2006, 01:21 PM
I was never clear on why Tango requires high heels, by the way. What's the deal?To add to Jivecat's comment* they also seem to help in having your weight sufficiently forward. They also make those long back steps much easier.

*Hmmm, I have a satin skirt with a side split that I've never had the nerve to actually wear to tango... do people really ever wear these to milongas? Should I extend the split up the thigh a bit more and wear with fishnet stockings at the next milonga? (which would be Mango)

Icey
18th-July-2006, 01:23 PM
I've had these (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248614&postcount=119) new shoes for about two weeks now and have found that they have affected my dancing with improved posture and spinning.

My last pair of dance shoes had a 2" heel and they were completely worn out :sad: these (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248614&postcount=119) new ones have 2½" heel. I've also found that if I'm wearing the red shoes and dancing in a blues room with a sympathetic partner I might start playing about in a rather floosie-ish fashion :whistle:

Lynn
18th-July-2006, 01:27 PM
I've also found that if I'm wearing the red shoes and dancing in a blues room with a sympathetic partner I might start playing about in a rather floosie-ish fashion :whistle::rofl:
Doesn't seem to matter what colour of shoes I am wearing... but I am more likely to get frisky in heels. :devil:

Yliander
18th-July-2006, 01:39 PM
5 pairs!!!

I thought it was law that all women own at least 127 pairs of shoes for any occasion? :DWell I am travelling! and I do plan to save up a months salary and purchase many pairs of custom made shoes to take home with me - including a green pair *sigh* finally

MartinHarper
18th-July-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks all for answers on Tango and heels.

Because it makes their breasts and bum stick out?

firefly
18th-July-2006, 04:47 PM
I've actually been wondering about getting a pair of jazz shoes. Does it make a difference what kind of sole they have eg I've seen ones with rubber soles - I'm not sure how that would work with spinning. Could someone enlighten me? :flower:

Yliander
18th-July-2006, 04:49 PM
I've actually been wondering about getting a pair of jazz shoes. Does it make a difference what kind of sole they have eg I've seen ones with rubber soles - I'm not sure how that would work with spinning. Could someone enlighten me? :flower:I would think a rubber sole would rather limit spinning ability - my choice is suede

Tinkerbell
18th-July-2006, 04:59 PM
I tried a friends Jazz shoes which had full suede soles and they were great for spinning :clap: I then searched for a similar pair and could only find a pair with a half suede sole and they have a rubber heel (well not sure if you can call it a heel as they are flat, but you catch my drift?) :what:

The pair I have bought don't give your feet much support or cushioning as the soles are quite thin. I tend to wear them for workshops and when taxi-ing, but find that they are only really good on a fast floor. I normally have to rub some talc on the soles before dancing at Rutherglen!

Firefly, if you want to try my jazz shoes give me a shout on Thu at Rutherglen - you might as well see if they suit you before shelling out :nice:

spindr
18th-July-2006, 04:59 PM
Doesn't seem to matter what colour of shoes I am wearing... but I am more likely to get frisky in heels. :devil:
Ooh, a round heeled woman?
SpinDr

jivecat
18th-July-2006, 05:04 PM
*Hmmm, I have a satin skirt with a side split that I've never had the nerve to actually wear to tango... do people really ever wear these to milongas? Should I extend the split up the thigh a bit more and wear with fishnet stockings at the next milonga? (which would be Mango)
Go, on, go on, do it!

There's a woman at my tango class who has this sort of gear and wears it for Practice.

LMC
18th-July-2006, 05:10 PM
I buy full suede soled jazz shoes too - and let the suede compact so I've got more slide (my spinning needs all the help it can get :rolleyes: ) There's a Dancia International shop which sells 'em just round the corner from my office, dead handy, but I think you can order off their internet site as well.

I don't think my limited friskiness differs with heel height... the motivation is probably more when I'm wearing heels, but I'm always worried I might fall over if I overdo it, as I don't wear heels except for dancing. I'm better with faster tracks when wearing jazz shoes and blues with heels.

jivecat
18th-July-2006, 05:11 PM
There are many reasons why women desire to wear heels, including:

*the change in angle of the foot with respect to the lower leg becomes elongated, and accentuates the appearance of calves
*they change a woman's posture, pushing her chest out more and arching her back. This is known as the "animal mating" position. A recent experiment on NBC showed that people could 100% of the time know if a woman was wearing heels or not even when they blocked out her feet.
*they make the woman appear taller (which may be considered by the wearer to be either an advantage or a disadvantage)
*one's legs look longer, which some may consider sensuous
*the change in gait and posture thrusts the buttocks backwards, and causes the hips to sway more which some find sexually attractive
*many heels, particularly sandals, make the sole of the foot visible, which some find sexually exciting(see shoe dangling)
*stiletto heels appear to some as a phallic symbol

However, many women shun these shoes because:

*high-heels become painful to wear, particularly for long periods
*they shorten the woman's stride, thus restricting free movement
*they render the woman unable to run, and hence more vulnerable
*they damage the woman's feet and tendons when worn over long periods (see below)
progressively higher heels are progressively riskier and more difficult to walk in; tripping is much more likely, and the risk of damage to the woman's ankles, toes, and feet, both short-term and long-term, is similarly increased.

As a result of these conflicting factors, women who wear high heels have a love/hate relationship with their shoes.

Looks like you got it about right, Martin. Surprising any respectable female is willing to be seen in public wearing them, good thing it's all subconscious.

Simon r
18th-July-2006, 05:37 PM
5 pairs!!!

I thought it was law that all women own at least 127 pairs of shoes for any occasion? :D

Great ....thanks mate

Nicole will read this and she will be straight off to the shops to get the other 27 pairs....

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Frankie_4711
18th-July-2006, 06:24 PM
I started out in whatever 'normal' shoes I happened to be wearing at the time - usually some sort of trainers or pumps or sandals, all of which I thought at the time were fine ... but after a while, once I started dancing more dances per evening and dancing faster, I found the pumps kept trying (and often managed) to escape, and by then it was summer so the trainers were hot, and I didn't want to ruin the delicate sandals by getting them stepped on, as they cost me a lot, so I bought my first pair of shoes especially for dancing (even though they were still just 'normal' shoes) - pumps with criss-cross elastic to stop them coming off. Kept slipping around inside them when I got (as LMC so elegantly put it) *glowy* and also got a few blisters as they had no cushioning at all, so decided to invest in some proper dance shoes. Went for the split sole trainers a) for the comfort and b) because I can't wear heels (get AWFUL cramp in my feet). Did think about jazz shoes, but didn't know how well they would work, and I'd seen so many people in the trainers I thought they can't be that bad!

They have been a revelation. I wouldn't say they affect my style exactly, but certainly my ability, stamina and leg/foot ache (or lack thereof!). However, now that the warmer weather is here, they are tending to be a bit on the hot side, and, as has been pointed out, they HAVE to be worn with trousers, which just adds to the heat ...

For the very first (and believe me, I think the LAST) time, last night I wore my trainers with a skirt - it was just too hot for any of the trousers that I had clean! I must apologise to anyone who happened to have witnessed it, coz it looked Godawful, and I really found it hard to dance in a skirt (it was long, so got in the way of drops a bit, and was not very wide, so got in the way of my star jumps and big steps! I couldn't have worn a shorter or wider one coz I have horrible legs and don't like showing them or my knickers when I spin!)

I still do busks in my 'normal' trainers, as I don't want to ruin my dance shoes, but really feel the difference both when I'm dancing and afterwards - I suppose the fact that I'm dancing on a very unforgiving surface doesn't help much in that department either.

I really would like to try a pair of 'feminine'/cooler flat dance shoes, but am severely limited in the funds department at the moment, and am also having trouble finding them anywhere I can get to easily (don't want to order off the internet, as I wouldn't want to buy a pair of shoes - any shoes, let alone ones that HAVE to be VERY comfortable - without trying them on first - weird feet I have, very hard to please). If anyone knows anywhere near Maidstone I will find a nice, large range (also don't have much time to go miles on the off-chance, or if they've only got one pair that probably won't be comfy, knowing my luck!), I'd be most grateful ... :D

Caro
18th-July-2006, 07:33 PM

never thought of that... but no they don't, there's no support at all. Is that bad in the long term for your feet / joints??

The problem is that the "thick" soles mean that you lose connection with the floor.

never thought of that in those terms... we always talk about inner connection and connection with your partner, never about the floor... but indeed I guess that's exactly what make the jazz shoes so great. thanks for putting words on this :flower:

indeed that's a tendency I have too, when dancing with the jazz shoes... sliding and gliding instead of walking and transferring the weight properly :blush:

as the other girls said, it's all to do with posture and moving like a proper tango dancer + the look obviously. I can dance tango in my jazz shoes (although it doesn't look good) because the sole is so thin and flexible - I can stay (very high) on the balls on my feet with no effort. It's usually a bit more difficult with proper shoes that have low-ish heels. However it's nice to have very high heel to 'rest' (put some of your weight on the heel) without looking 10 cm shorter and breaking the posture (and consequently the embrace).

2 in heels... They also put my weight in a "better place" i.e. more towards the ball of my foot.

:yeah: that's why I'm really glad I went first for 2" cuban heels, to improve after a few months of dancing I really needed to work on posture, weight distribution and basically dancing on the balls on my feet (although I didn't know at the time). That's really the shoes I would recommend for any beginner dancer. Since I've worn them for a few months (and I still occasionally wear same height shoes) I got used to dance on the balls of my feet, and going to trainers and jazz shoes hasn't changed that, which is good :nice: .

Lynn
18th-July-2006, 07:57 PM
Ooh, tango diversion on a shoe thread - I love it!
as the other girls said, it's all to do with posture and moving like a proper tango dancer + the look obviously. I like the 'like a proper tango dancer' bit. That's what I'm aiming for at the moment, looking like a proper tango dancer. Maybe in many, many years, I will be a tango dancer.
I can dance tango in my jazz shoes (although it doesn't look good) because the sole is so thin and flexible - I can stay (very high) on the balls on my feet with no effort. It's usually a bit more difficult with proper shoes that have low-ish heels. However it's nice to have very high heel to 'rest' (put some of your weight on the heel) without looking 10 cm shorter and breaking the posture (and consequently the embrace). All my dance shoes have pretty flexible soles, so its no problem really, but I just feel I dance tango better in heels. All those lovely lapis and boleos just seem to call out for heels. The heels are part of it, somehow. Not quite sure how, its all still pretty much a delicious mystery to me.

quiet_flame
19th-July-2006, 01:30 AM
never thought of that... but no they don't, there's no support at all. Is that bad in the long term for your feet / joints??

It depends on your arch and ankle strength over all.
I know some one who is constantly working the point and flex of the foot, rising completely on the balls of the feet and bending properly with knees over the toes strengthening all of the joints, muscles and ligaments will rarely have a problem.

However, if you're only dancing 2 nights a week, without any strengthening exercises... then no, Jazz flats are not for you.

Jazz flats are more to protect your feet from the floor than and accent your point and lines created by your feet. For those of us who have horrible feet.. The bulky jazz shoes hide a multitude of sins. :whistle:

I've actually been wondering about getting a pair of jazz shoes. Does it make a difference what kind of sole they have eg I've seen ones with rubber soles - I'm not sure how that would work with spinning. Could someone enlighten me? :flower:

It depends entirely on how good a spinner you are and how much balance in turns you have. If create your own momentum into turns and have good balance, the rubber soles shouldn't effect your spinning too much. If you're already dancing in (chunky) jazz shoes, you're used to spinning on rubber soles. Spinning on Suede, depending on the floor, tends to be much faster. Therefore you might be able to get another spin out of the momentum into the turn... but that all depends on you.

Dynamo
19th-July-2006, 02:20 AM
It depends on your arch and ankle strength over all.
I know some one who is constantly working the point and flex of the foot, rising completely on the balls of the feet and bending properly with knees over the toes strengthening all of the joints, muscles and ligaments will rarely have a problem.

I so Wish I knew your advice 2 years ago Quiet Flame. So agree with your comments.

This is a sort of lady shoe thread, but my experience may be interesting to all dancers.

I like many guys started in street shoes and progressed to leather soled dance shoes. These added to my control, as I spin a little.

I bought a flat pair of dance trainers and danced most days of the week in them and then most of a weekeneder in them. The ball of my foot felt less bruised, but I had like a bruised feeling on my instep.

To cut a long story short, my Dr told me I had overworked the tendons in the arch of my foot and must take 8 weeks off dancing :tears:

I now wear suede soles for 70% of my dancing, but in a dance shoe that has a little arch support. The remaining time is in trainers, but the lack of support means that if I dance most days, then I will not do more than 6 hours in any given day in them.

The Dr noted my arch was a bit flat normally and a moulded support in normal shoes would help. He did say that without proper regular foot exercises, most people who danced most days should split their time between supported and un-supported arch shoes.

Aside I have bought some stylish chunky dance trainers, which look cool, but these I can feel the support ribs below the ball of my foot through the internal cushioning foam!

firefly
19th-July-2006, 10:49 AM
I would think a rubber sole would rather limit spinning ability - my choice is suede

I kind of thought that. The shoes I have at the moment (latin style with a 2 1/2" heel) have suede soles - I had wondered though how suede soles compare with leather in terms of feel:nice:

I tried a friends Jazz shoes which had full suede soles and they were great for spinning I then searched for a similar pair and could only find a pair with a half suede sole and they have a rubber heel (well not sure if you can call it a heel as they are flat, but you catch my drift?)

The pair I have bought don't give your feet much support or cushioning as the soles are quite thin. I tend to wear them for workshops and when taxi-ing, but find that they are only really good on a fast floor. I normally have to rub some talc on the soles before dancing at Rutherglen!

Firefly, if you want to try my jazz shoes give me a shout on Thu at Rutherglen - you might as well see if they suit you before shelling out

Thanks Tinkerbell - I might take you up on that :hug:

Yliander
19th-July-2006, 10:53 AM
I kind of thought that. The shoes I have at the moment (latin style with a 2 1/2" heel) have suede soles - I had wondered though how suede soles compare with leather in terms of feel:nice: leather tends to be faster than sueude - and will hold up to being worn out side and on pub floors. Leather also doesn't tend to be as flexible as suede

LMC
19th-July-2006, 11:13 AM
Heavenly Dance Shoes do a leather-suede type sole which is harder-wearing than regular suede and doesn't need so much brushing, but has the same flexibility. Like suede, it should not be allowed to get wet.

I find that my leather-soled Rumpfs are treacherous on very fast floors (correction: the shoes are fine, it's my crap balance that causes the problem :blush: ). And suede soles can sometimes feel a bit thin as the suede compacts.

So far I'm impressed with the leather-suede, but need to wear shoes more/for longer before I give my final judgement. Anyone else tried it?

mick
20th-July-2006, 02:07 PM
yes, this is ANOTHER shoe thread :D ...

Anybody else who thinks their shoes have influenced their dancing, and care to explain to what extend? :flower:

Or can you dance any style in any shoes? (like 'funky' in high heeled shoes for example?)

Personally, I always but the cheapest pair of size 10s in the shop.

straycat
20th-July-2006, 02:19 PM
Personally, I always but the cheapest pair of size 10s in the shop.

Have you sought professional help concerning this behavior? And do the shop-assistants put up with you vandalising their stock like this? :devil:

littlewiggle
21st-July-2006, 05:42 PM
Well just today got some Werner Kern Mary in size 4.5 as 4 I bought previously was too small - only to find that they are still a bit narrow! I don't even have wide feet so surely don't require a wide fitting! Also, got my first pair of black Katz character shoes - damn ugly but thought they would be comfy - they are soooooooo stiff round the heel - please.... someone tell me they loosen up!

Lynn
22nd-July-2006, 12:54 AM
Well just today got some Werner Kern Mary in size 4.5 as 4 I bought previously was too small - only to find that they are still a bit narrow! I have rather narrow feet, so I guess that means I should get pair of Werner Kerns. Another reason to buy more shoes. :whistle: (But I will be good and not buy them just yet, only got a new pair last week).

Also, got my first pair of black Katz character shoes - damn ugly but thought they would be comfy - they are soooooooo stiff round the heel - please.... someone tell me they loosen up!Can't help with that, but if they are rubbing and while you work out a way to soften them up, Compeed blister pads for heels are good - clear, they stay on well, and really help stop shoes giving you a blister. Unfortunately they are quite expensive so a short term solution. If you are wearing them with bare feet, then Compeed also do a blister stick which I always use on my heels, even with my comfy shoes. (I'm not a fan of tights.)

littlewiggle
22nd-July-2006, 09:19 AM
(I'm not a fan of tights.)

Me neither! Wouldn't be seen dead in them - can you imagine having an accident and being seen in those dreaded things - even my nan never wore them! :D

littlewiggle
22nd-July-2006, 09:27 AM
I have rather narrow feet, so I guess that means I should get pair of Werner Kerns. Another reason to buy more shoes. :whistle: (But I will be good and not buy them just yet, only got a new pair last week).

Ooh yes - get some! These are mine....

Lynn
22nd-July-2006, 09:50 AM
Ooh yes - get some! These are mine....Oh nice! :grin:

clevedonboy
10th-August-2006, 03:09 PM
Not sure if they'll influence my style but they'll be comfortable & they were cheap - £10 for a pair of Green Flash trainers (yes I know they're blue) + £12 to have chrome leather soles fitted - billy bargain!

http://www.clevedonroc.co.uk/newshoes.jpg

Twirly
10th-August-2006, 04:43 PM
Seems like I followed the usual pattern – a few classes in normal shoes, then onto some plain character shoes when they started to hurt as I danced more. These stretched a bit, and they weren’t great on the floor at the Grand (that floor must be the worst floor for dancing on ever!) so I got some Blochs – which after trying to wear them for the first time in weeks at Wessex House last night will be strictly for the Grand in future as I felt like I’d been stuck to the floor! :mad: That’s because I’d been wearing my lovely new sparkly silver shoes for the last few weeks, interspersed with my Greeks (which no-one else has mentioned). These took a bit of getting used to. But balance-wise they are great, and I spin much better in them than anything else now. The first time I wore them was to the Grand though, and I could feel every lump and bump in the concrete and every joint in the (rough) wooden floor – thought I’d wasted my money – but on a decent floor they are great. And although they don’t look that great, you can at least wear them with a skirt – totally agree about dance trainers looking naff with skirts except on a very few lucky people.

Am content with my dance shoe collection for now, but every time I see the pics of gorgeous shoes on here I start wanting more! :tears: