PDA

View Full Version : Buying a laptop - advice needed

Lynn
16th-July-2006, 12:50 PM
Ooh, I'm in the Geek's Corner...

OK, I've decided I need to move out of the dark ages with my technological requirements :rolleyes: and get myself a more transportable computer. I.e. I want to buy a laptop.

My requirements

- decent size/quality screen so that I can use it as my main PC. Ditto for keyboard and mouse attachment options.
- able to use with wireless broadband (which I don't actually have, but would like).
- Powerpoint (or other similar) for presentations.
- not too expensive - the 'good but budget' end of the scale.

Heard Dell are good? Any comments?

Suggestions welcome.

(And if someone suggests a Mac...OK, when someone suggests a Mac - could they also explain how I would transfer all my existing PC files etc)

El Salsero Gringo
16th-July-2006, 12:51 PM
(And if someone suggests a Mac...OK, when someone suggests a Mac - could they also explain how I would transfer all my existing PC files etc)How are you planning to transfer all your existing PC files to a new laptop?

Nick M
16th-July-2006, 12:54 PM
I am very pleased with my Dell, and customer service was excellent when I spilt some water over it and needed a new motherboard - they collected the next day and returned it, repaired, within a week

If you are using it as your main PC, get a laptop stand (http://www.laptopstands.co.uk/)and separate keyboard, otherwise extensive use will ruin your back and shoulders

Lynn
16th-July-2006, 12:55 PM
How are you planning to transfer all your existing PC files to a new laptop?Look, I'm blonde OK? (well sort of...) :wink:

I take it you are implying there is no need to convert files and that there is a Mac equivalent of Word (which of course will be much better :rolleyes: ) that will be able to open all my files? (Most are Word files, lecture notes etc).

El Salsero Gringo
16th-July-2006, 01:07 PM
Look, I'm blonde OK? (well sort of...) :wink:

I take it you are implying there is no need to convert files and that there is a Mac equivalent of Word (which of course will be much better :rolleyes: ) that will be able to open all my files? (Most are Word files, lecture notes etc).Clearly I don't need to point that out, since you are already aware!

If you're not 'technical', then a Mac may well be easier to manage. In any event there is always Ducasi to look after you.

Gojive
16th-July-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi Lynn,

If you're planning to lots of portable computing, then you might like to consider using a slighter smaller, more 'notebook' orientated machine, with something more like a 12" screen rather than the standard 15".

This will cut down the weight a bit, and help increase battery life. You can then buy a cheap 15/17" LCD monitor to use as an external monitor when you're at home.

Another advantage of this kind of setup, is that when you are at home, you can use the notebook's screen as a secondary monitor, giving you even more screen estate to work with.

Also, look out for the option of removable DVD/CD drives to cut down the weight even further. Some machines allow you to replace the drive with a secondary battery too.

On the WiFi front, the vast majority on machines come with it built in these days.

I used to have a Toshiba laptop, which was extremely rugged and good on battery life, and not one component ever failed in 4 years, despite it being slung around the boot of my car regularly. It finally gave up the ghost, when I threw it onto the patio in temper one day - only to find a few days later, is wasn't the laptop, but the user that had the problem :blush: :blush:

HTH :flower:

LMC
16th-July-2006, 01:36 PM
Lynn - mine, which you have used so you know whether you like it :D, is a Dell Inspiron 6000. I played with a few laptops in shops and read a coupla PC mags then got a reasonable bargain on e-bay. Think mine has 1 MB RAM, but unless you're a serious gamer and need good graphics, then I think it's the RAM and the MHz numbers you want the best possible for the £ available.

Bad: it is quite heavy, wouldn't want to lug it around on public transport. Unless you keep it plugged into a power source, the wireless connection drops out with monotonous and extremely irritating regularity.

Good: Because it is a reasonable size, the shoulder/back problem of hunching over a small notebook doesn't really seem to be an issue. Of course, slobbing round on the sofa whilst surfing probably isn't ideal :rolleyes: :blush:

AFA transferring files goes - even a natural blonde like me knows that a memory stick is the easy answer to moving files from one machine to another :rolleyes:

Chicklet
16th-July-2006, 01:50 PM
Much more important - when you've got IT - get a sturdy rectangular handbag with a zip top and handles the go over your shoulder, so that you can carry it close to your centre of gravity, and that is big enough to take all your other important handbag stuff. I used to carry mine in a thing with just grip handles and I'm sure carting the weight low down (with another handbag as well) up and down five flights of stairs every day to work and back contributed to my back probs. I now have a lovely lime green thing that doesn't look like a laptop bag at all and life is much better.:D

Lynn
16th-July-2006, 02:03 PM
If you're planning to lots of portable computing, then you might like to consider using a slighter smaller, more 'notebook' orientated machine, with something more like a 12" screen rather than the standard 15". Not really going to be transporting it too much, just want to be able to use it in different rooms in the house and to be able to take it with me if I was staying elsewhere for any length of time.

On the WiFi front, the vast majority on machines come with it built in these days. Good to know. Must make sure I don't get one of the few that doesn't.

I used to have a Toshiba laptop, which was extremely rugged and good on battery life, and not one component ever failed in 4 years, despite it being slung around the boot of my car regularly. It finally gave up the ghost, when I threw it onto the patio in temper one day - only to find a few days later, is wasn't the laptop, but the user that had the problem :blush: :blush: On my first trip to W Africa (many years ago) everyone was using Toshibas due to the fact that they weren't as badly affected by the heat and dust as some others. (And there was a lot of heat and dust!)

ducasi
16th-July-2006, 02:07 PM
Clearly I don't need to point that out, since you are already aware!

If you're not 'technical', then a Mac may well be easier to manage. In any event there is always Ducasi to look after you.
... or Danielle, or Franck, or killingtime, or Claire S, or azande, or many other smart forumites... :)

But yeah, as ESG didn't actually need to point out, there's Word and Excel and Powerpoint for the Mac, and of course they're better than the Windows versions! ;)

And as LMC said, moving your files can be done with a USB memory stick. No bother!

I guess Danielle was mainly using Windows before she got a Mac. Ask her how she's getting on. Claire S also is a recent convert from Windows to Mac, and I don't think she's so-far been tempted to throw her Mac out the window the way she wanted to get rid of her Dell...

If you are interested in exploring the Mac way, I'd recommend a MacBook with Apple's bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and a 17" external LCD from somewhere else (Apple don't do any LCDs smaller than 20".)

Take a look here (http://www.apple.com/uk/) and here (http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/). :)

It's a shame you're no longer working in education, otherwise you'd get a discount...

If you're stuck on getting a Windows laptop (oh, and by the way, all new Mac laptops can also run Windows) then Dell are a good, if a little dull, choice. I've had mixed experiences with Toshiba – both good and bad. Not sure what I'd go for myself... Maybe an IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad...

Hope this helps. :)

Lynn
16th-July-2006, 02:09 PM
Think mine has 1 MB RAM, but unless you're a serious gamer and need good graphics, then I think it's the RAM and the MHz numbers you want the best possible for the £ available. I'm not even a frivolous gamer. I think one computer addiction (ie here) is enough.

Of course, slobbing round on the sofa whilst surfing probably isn't ideal :rolleyes: :blush: Oh, I don't know, it seemed pretty comfy to me!

AFA transferring files goes - even a natural blonde like me knows that a memory stick is the easy answer to moving files from one machine to another :rolleyes:I should have phrased that better. It wasn't the physical transferring of files but the compatibility of the software on reading the files - I don't want to have to reset all my page margins/fonts/formatting of Word documents.

Lynn
16th-July-2006, 02:14 PM
But yeah, as ESG didn't actually need to point out, there's Word and Excel and Powerpoint for the Mac, and of course they're better than the Windows versions! ;) I didn't know that. I'm learning.

I guess Danielle was mainly using Windows before she got a Mac. Ask her how she's getting on. Will do, and will have a look at her Mac.

It's a shame you're no longer working in education, otherwise you'd get a discount...I'm still a registered lecturer AFAIK, just wasn't teaching this term (or next). Don't know if part time lecturers count though? I do want to be able to use it when giving lectures so it is partly going to be an educational tool.

Gojive
16th-July-2006, 02:15 PM
On the size front then Lynn, it sounds like size doesn't matter to you :yum:

The main reason for me buying a tosh at the time, was purely for the durablitiy aspect. They certainly had a great reputaion (they may still have of course), and mine certainly proved to be the case. My current laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo, and so far the screen hinges have started to loosen, and I've had to replace the hard drive. The machine is only two years old :sick:

Laptops have come down dramatically in price in recent years, and a perfectly good machine can be had for as low as £350, and more commonly £500 (I paid £1100 for mine :sick:), so there are very good deals to be had if you shop around.

Good luck! :flower:

frodo
16th-July-2006, 07:24 PM
- decent size/quality screen so that I can use it as my main PC. Ditto for keyboard and mouse attachment options.
- able to use with wireless broadband (which I don't actually have, but would like).
- Powerpoint (or other similar) for presentations.
- not too expensive - the 'good but budget' end of the scale.

Heard Dell are good? Any comments?
Dell are cheap* at the low end ( which is enough for me ). I'd hesitate to call them 'good' otherwise.

Microsoft Office, if an alternative won't do, or you don't already have a retail copy you can use, can be a costly, and worth considering before buying the computer.

Buying a very cheap laptop together with a separate external LCD monitor, might also be worth considering.

*If you pick your time and don't buy some of the ridiculously expensive upgrade options from them (some of the options are reasonably priced (usually screen upgrade/extra battery + a few other things) but not many). In general the best value comes from taking something near the advertised spec.

Dell prices tend to fluctuate heavily (I think they have some sort of cycle), so you can often get the best deal by watching how they fluctuate over a month or more and picking your moment to buy.

Beowulf
16th-July-2006, 07:44 PM
*If you pick your time and don't buy some of the ridiculously expensive upgrade options from them (some of the options are reasonably priced (usually screen upgrade/extra battery + a few other things) but not many). In general the best value comes from taking something near the advertised spec.

I concur. sometimes you will see a particular brand of PC available in 2 or 3 different setups , A low spec, mid spec and High spec configurations.

You can often get a better deal by going to a higher spec machine and taking OFF some of the spruious tuff they add than going for a lower spec machine and ADDING things you want. You can normally save anything from £50 to £100 by taking off their Complete Care package (I think that's what it's called) and keep an eye open for free delivery options as that's about £60 as well.

drathzel
16th-July-2006, 08:11 PM
BUY A MAC!!!

The ibook are fab, i run my whole business from it including dj-ing (of sorts) and using the internet!

You can get office for mac! (right ds :kiss: ) most standard models come with wireless (airport extreme)! I wouldnt change my mac for a pc now for the world.

Its pretty too!:D

Claire S
16th-July-2006, 10:37 PM
I love my Mac! :awe:

I have a very sexy bag for it too :D

AND the tech support team available in Scotland is second to none :whistle:

drathzel
16th-July-2006, 11:08 PM
AND the tech support team available in Scotland is second to none :whistle:

:yeah:

Dreadful Scathe
17th-July-2006, 01:04 PM
Will do, and will have a look at her Mac.

You may well like the MAC and its a good idea to try it but they're not that cheap.

For example - a good place to get brand new laptops is acer notebooks (http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/).

You can get a Acer TravelMate 2423WXMi for £379.95

and it has

* Intel Celeron-M 370 Processor 1.5GHz Not fast compared to some but why would you need more?
* 256MB DDRII SDRAM - Double the memory for only £20 call to place order! worth paying the £20
* 40GB fast Hard Drive Id be inclined to get an external Hard Drive if more space was needed, makes it easily switchable between laptop and any other pc
* DVD Dual Layer Drive - Writes and reads both CDs and DVDs
* 14.1" XGA Bright Widescreen TFT
* 2.5-hour Battery Life this is pretty good for a cheap laptop
* Only 2.5 Kgs!
* Intel GMA 900 Fast Graphics theyre not fast, but you wont be playing games
* 3xUSB 2.0, Integrated LAN and 56k v.90 data fax modem
* Integrated Wireless 802.11 b/g - Call for advice on Wireless networking
* Microsoft Windows XP Home
* 1 year warranty - upgradeable to 3 years for only £59!
* FREE Vodafone 3G Data card Offer!

Compare that to a new macBook at the apple store (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?family=iBook&cid=AOSA30000023947) which starts at £749.

Or a similar spec iBook for £661 from here (http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10285096&pid=45&tid=2)

As macs and pcs are equally expandable now (although finding out if a piece of hardware is MAC compatible can be a paininthearse) its really down to your personal experience with the operating systems you will be running, your appreciation for eye-candy over specification and your willingness to pay nearly twice as much for a similar product.

As for transfering files - you may well have a problem with fonts - fonts get installed by some programs eg. Word, Works etc.. and if you dont have the font on your nw machine - it'll use another one and makre your docs look different :)- so make sure you check. For formatting etc.. if you are using an alternative like OpenOffice - the formatting may be off (was always worse with spreadsheets than word docs though) but you need to try it to see.

ducasi
17th-July-2006, 01:24 PM
... eye-candy over specification and your willingness to pay nearly twice as much for a similar product. Well if you actually compared the MacBook with a similar product that has the same Core Duo processor, a decent amount of memory and disk space, you'd find that it's priced quite competitively. :)

It's true though, Apple don't do "cheap".

WRT Word, etc., Office for the Mac installs a whole bunch of common Windows fonts on the Mac so you're unlikely to have so many problems there.

Dreadful Scathe
17th-July-2006, 01:29 PM
Well if you actually compared the MacBook with a similar product that has the same Core Duo processor, a decent amount of memory and disk space, you'd find that it's priced quite competitively. :)

You are quite wrong ;) From a geek perspective you are quite right but from a realistic perspective i.e. usefulness to Lynn, which is what i was thinking of - they are comparable. Will Lynn notice the "duo processor" when typing into a normal word document? Will more than 512mb be apparant when printing? if 40gb is enough to store everything lynn needs, is 300gb going to be "worth it" ? :)

ducasi
17th-July-2006, 01:50 PM
You are quite wrong ;) From a geek perspective you are quite right but from a realistic perspective i.e. usefulness to Lynn, which is what i was thinking of - they are comparable. I'm not saying you're wrong, just wouldn't ever say that that cheap Acer is a "similar product" to a MacBook. It's more than just a prettier computer – it's a better computer, inside and out.

Dreadful Scathe
17th-July-2006, 02:03 PM
You're missing my point. They are both portable, both have a screen, both have a keyboard and they both run programs Lynn would use fast enough for her to not notice the difference - its up to Lynn to decide if one is "better".

This is user experience we're talking here not technical specifications. :) If you only ever drive to the shops, would you buy a Citreon or a Ferrari ? Which one is "better" for that?

Franck
17th-July-2006, 02:11 PM
This is user experience we're talking here not technical specifications. :) If you only ever drive to the shops, would you buy a Citreon or a Ferrari ? Which one is "better" for that?
Ah, in that case, definitely the mac... Not having to worry about virus protection, a very simple user interface and simpler 'out of the box' setup means that Lynn would be able to do twice as much with the mac in half the time, without having to ask for help from pc gurus every 2 minutes... :whistle:
Also, all the software that comes with the mac is high-quality and well supported. She won't have to delete dozens of 'free' software with pesky reminders to register every time she boots up!

It might not be worth the £300 to her, but to everyone who has made the switch and experienced the mac's ease of use, they'll never buy 'cheap' again!

straycat
17th-July-2006, 02:15 PM
Ah, in that case, definitely the mac... Not having to worry about virus protection, a very simple user interface and simpler 'out of the box' setup means that Lynn would be able to do twice as much with the mac in half the time, without having to ask for help from pc gurus every 2 minutes... :whistle:
Also, all the software that comes with the mac is high-quality and well supported. She won't have to delete dozens of 'free' software with pesky reminders to register every time she boots up!

It might not be worth the £300 to her, but to everyone who has made the switch and experienced the mac's ease of use, they'll never buy 'cheap' again!
:yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah: :clap: :yeah:

Dreadful Scathe
17th-July-2006, 03:47 PM

not biased at all are you :) You'd make a good car salesman "Yes Sir buy the Ferrari. I know you only use it to run your kids to school, but its so much more comfortable and a much smoother drive. And look! its RED!".

Of course, if money were no object - I'd agree with you wholeheartedly, I prefer the look of a MAC and I like OSX, and for new users it is much easier in my opinion. Saying that, viruses are not an issue on PCs if you have any common sense - virus checkers and firewalls are free and you will only have trouble with a PC if you install lots of poor software willy-nilly. The MAC has, overall, less quality software than a PC but it is true that the PC has a lot of dire software simply because there are more PC's and more people creating abominations. Youd be wasting your time writing mediocre MAC software but PC users are used to it and need to be more discerning :)

Overall, if someone is new to laptops a MAC would be a good user choice, but would it be a good financial decision? In fact if you like the look of OSX you can download a theme for XP (http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/) so it looks the same ;)

Personally I have no bias whatsoever, having used everything to a fair degree in the past. :)

Franck
17th-July-2006, 04:00 PM
I prefer the look of a MAC and I like OSX, and for new users it is much easier in my opinion. Saying that, viruses are not an issue on PCs if you have any common sense - virus checkers and firewalls are free and you will only have trouble with a PC if you install lots of poor software willy-nilly.
With regards to the virus issue, you are definitely wrong, in theory, with common sense and good knowledge of what anti-virus software works and which one is a waste of money, you could have a mostly stable PC. Unfortunately, most users have neither, and end up buying expensive software, or burying their head in the sand until their (affordable) PC becomes unusable and they need one of their (unbiased) friends to re-format the drive to remove all the spyware / virus they've accumulated in under a year. They lose a lot of their stuff (photos, documents, emails, etc...) and start again frustrated. When that fails, of if they don't have a patient (unbiased :whistle: ) friend, they end-up ditching the old computer (only 18 months old but not working anymore) and buying a new (cheap again) PC...

Overall, they will have spent more money (2 PCs, useless protection software, etc...) and time (trying to fix un-necessary problems) than if they'd bought the mac in the first place (I know most of the stuff I describe doesn't have to happen and that software to keep a healthy PC is available for free if you know where to look, but in the real world you quote above, people who buy a car to do the school run don't spend hours reading maintenance books to make sure their car is properly maintained).

Yliander
17th-July-2006, 04:37 PM
well here is my 2p worth

know what you want the computer to be able to do and get a trusted knowledgable friend to tell you what hardware requirements you need then go shopping - you know what you need can avoid the pit fall of believing the sales assistant.

and buy what you are comfortable be it a Mac or a PC - I have had 2 PC laptops the first one lasted 10 years - was my only computer for 8 or so years and my current one is now around 4 years old - have had few problems with them.

straycat
17th-July-2006, 04:53 PM
not biased at all are you :)

<snippety>

Overall, if someone is new to laptops a MAC would be a good user choice, but would it be a good financial decision? In fact if you like the look of OSX you can download a theme for XP (http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/) so it looks the same ;)

Personally I have no bias whatsoever, having used everything to a fair degree in the past. :)

Personally, I'm completely biased. I use a Mac at home, & a PC at work, have done for some years. Much of my work at home overlaps with my professional work (web programming), so I have a nice basis for comparison. Both are good quality, fairly high spec machines, and the performance of each is similar. Quite simply, my productivity is much better on the Mac - it's nothing to do with the look of it (nothing wrong with the look of XP, in my opinion) - it's how the user interface works that makes the difference. If you count your time as money, you'll probably save a bit on general time spent at the computer (and that's without counting the issues that Franck mentions)

I also have a decent PC at home, and the only time I ever turn it on is to test websites. (oh - and very occasionally to play Halflife 2, but I haven't had time for that in nearly a year)

Go for Macs. You won't regret it.

Dreadful Scathe
17th-July-2006, 04:56 PM
I think all PC's come with virus checking software now, it tends to be free for the 1st year or so and there are free alternatives. Also windows now has a firewall as a default. I take your point about people not knowing about this though, windows really should have a free virus killer in it - Microsoft really has no excuse for not having one*.

There are mac viruses too of course see here (http://www.macvirus.org/) but there is certainly a lot less effort by nasty people to attack MACs. So yes - MAC = safer.

I'm convinced that with no education on PCs, a MAC is the better choice overall - assuming you have the money. With any knowledge of PC's - and a little bit of knowledge will go a long way - there is no reason your PC wont last as long as the MAC would.

What you are describing is a worse-case PC scenario. I know many people who are completely clueless at computers that have had very little problem with their PC and while I have sorted out a few that have messed things up, it doesnt happen in every case.

To use your analogy about the car - if you buy a car and drive safely, dont go over the speed limit and take it into to get serviced occasionally (think windows update here) you'll be fine. If you drive to the nearest red light district and leave it parked in an alley with the windows down and the key in the ignition, youre asking for trouble ;)

* (not that the anti-virus companies would like that, but legitimate protection of the loopholes in your software is perfectly valid in my opinion - just as added video players etc..is not - thats a whole other subject)

El Salsero Gringo
17th-July-2006, 07:32 PM
I have shares in Apple Computer, and I think you should buy a Mac. :flower:

frodo
17th-July-2006, 07:53 PM
...Overall, they will have spent more money (2 PCs, useless protection software, etc...) and time (trying to fix un-necessary problems) than if they'd bought the mac in the first place (I know most of the stuff I describe doesn't have to happen and that software to keep a healthy PC is available for free if you know where to look, but in the real world you quote above, people who buy a car to do the school run don't spend hours reading maintenance books to make sure their car is properly maintained).

The problem with paying more for a Mac laptop (or any expensive laptop), is laptops are easy to drop / damage / lose / steal. With a cheap laptop there is a lot less need to worry about taking the laptop to more risky places ( assuming it is backed up), a

And given you've been converted to a Mac by now, you can't just buy a cheap PC to replace it :sad:

Also more expensive laptops will probably lose their resale value faster, as there is more to lose ( though Mac's do look like they hold up better than PC's )

I don't know if the software with the Mac is high quality and makes a coherent whole or not, but that would certainly be nice.

Dreadful Scathe
17th-July-2006, 10:10 PM
The problem with paying more for a Mac laptop (or any expensive laptop), is laptops are easy to drop / damage / lose / steal.

Interestingly you get 3 years full cover including accidental damage from acer when you buy a laptop for only an extra £99 - which actually sems quite reasonalbe when its still less than £500 all in :)

El Salsero Gringo
17th-July-2006, 11:17 PM
The problem with paying more for a Mac laptop (or any expensive laptop), is laptops are easy to drop / damage / lose / steal. With a cheap laptop there is a lot less need to worry about taking the laptop to more risky places ( assuming it is backed up), a

And given you've been converted to a Mac by now, you can't just buy a cheap PC to replace it :sad:

Also more expensive laptops will probably lose their resale value faster, as there is more to lose ( though Mac's do look like they hold up better than PC's )If these are real considerations, then I recommend an Etch-a-sketch, which answers all three of them.
I don't know if the software with the Mac is high quality and makes a coherent whole or not, but that would certainly be nice.The software included with an Etch-a-sketch is totally integrated and coherent. It's also very easy to use.

Lynn
17th-July-2006, 11:34 PM
If these are real considerations, then I recommend an Etch-a-sketch, which answers all three of them. The software included with an Etch-a-sketch is totally integrated and coherent. It's also very easy to use.[dumb blonde] Ah we're back onto something I understand! I used to have an Etch-a-sketch! :nice: [/dumb blonde]

Thanks guys, will peruse this thread when my brain is a bit less frazzled. Though I think I may be a little more confused than I was to start off with. I was mainly looking for some straightforward advice or suggestions, should have known it would turn into a 'Mac is better than PC' discussion.:rolleyes:

straycat
18th-July-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys, will peruse this thread when my brain is a bit less frazzled. Though I think I may be a little more confused than I was to start off with. I was mainly looking for some straightforward advice or suggestions, should have known it would turn into a 'Mac is better than PC' discussion.:rolleyes:

Sorry to get drawn into that (silly predictable Mac owner)

Something more useful for you:
Dell - their desktop machines are good, I don't know enough about their laptops. But...
Whatever you get, get it with as much onboard memory as your budget will stretch to. If you can, get 1 gig of RAM - trust me when I say that even 512Mb is too little. (I honestly think that in this day and age, to ship a machine with less than a gig is a rip-off, although everyone does (including Apple) :confused: )

Good sized hard drive is also important, but less so (good externals are pretty cheap now, so if you need to expand on drive space at a later date, that'd be easy enough)

Depending on what you want to do with it, I go with the 'smaller screen / have a larger monitor at home to plug into it' idea that someone suggested earlier. Makes it a lot easier to lug around, but gives you the large screen advantages at home - and you can get some good flat-panel screens very cheaply nowadays.

If I do ever get a laptop, I'll do this (and keep a keyboard & mouse for it at home - I don't like laptop keyboards)

Oh - and if we have swayed you at all on the Mac front, transferring files to a Mac is pretty easy, so loads of us can advise you on that score :devil: :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
18th-July-2006, 09:27 AM
[dumb blonde] Ah we're back onto something I understand! I used to have an Etch-a-sketch! :nice: [/dumb blonde]

Ignore ESG. An etch-a-sketch is impossible to draw a circle on. Easy to use my arse.

Typical bias on the forum that ;) what you do is just ignore everyone elses posts except mine ;)

Dreadful Scathe
1st-August-2006, 01:18 PM
Tesco is at the moment (in at least 2 stores in scotland) selling Acer Travelmate 2414 laptops for £299.99

quick spec

1.6ghz Celeron CPU
DVD-+ rewriter
40gb Hard Drive
128mb intel graphics
15.4" crystalbrite widescreen
256mb memory
4 usb ports

add another 256mb (£20+) and you have a very decent machine there

Lynn
1st-January-2007, 09:52 PM
Finally got my laptop! Took a while to check spec, options and price.

Thanks DS for advice. :hug:

Now just to get broadband!

David Bailey
1st-January-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm thinking of one too - I'm looking at this Compaq model (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0308337174.116768551 7@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdiaddjkighdehcflgceggdhhmdfio.0&chain=PC_World&seo=yes&sku=143042&channel=WEB&page=Product), any comments?

Lynn
1st-January-2007, 10:16 PM
I thought about that one too, but went for an Acer with a duo processor, and a bigger hard drive.

DJ Beccy
2nd-January-2007, 12:05 AM
I thought about that one too, but went for an Acer with a duo processor, and a bigger hard drive.

I bought a new Acer laptop before xmas after using an Acer travelmate previously with no problems.

Its very easy to use and great picture quality.

:nice:

Lynn
2nd-January-2007, 12:15 AM
I bought a new Acer laptop before xmas after using an Acer travelmate previously with no problems.

Its very easy to use and great picture quality.

:nice:Yep, I'd heard some good things re Acer. Hopefully there will be no probs but I have a 3 year collect and return warranty (included, not extra) which gives some reassurance.

Like it so far and it is a novelty to be able to work in different rooms in the house!

(Ok, this isn't actually work...)

frodo
2nd-January-2007, 01:27 AM
I'm thinking of one too - I'm looking at this Compaq model (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0308337174.116768551 7@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdiaddjkighdehcflgceggdhhmdfio.0&chain=PC_World&seo=yes&sku=143042&channel=WEB&page=Product), any comments?
Seems an OK priced, well balanced entry level model.

I'd tend to stump up the extra money for a lowish speed core processor laptop such as Lynn's, not because of raw speed as such, but because the core processor power management, where you're not running the CPU flat out is much better.

Aside from battery life, the lower heat output can be nice if you're using the laptop on your lap.

One annoying thing about some laptops from PC World can be getting them with a proper Windows install CD, but as it offers the Vista upgrade that should hopefully solve that.

Lynn
2nd-January-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd tend to stump up the extra money for a lowish speed core processor laptop such as Lynn's, not because of raw speed as such, but because the core processor power management, where you're not running the CPU flat out is much better.

Aside from battery life, the lower heat output can be nice if you're using the laptop on your lap. I didn't know why the processor I got cost more, I went on advice. But I was running it a lot last night and I noticed that it doesn't generate as much heat as I'd expected, perhaps this is why then?

One annoying thing about some laptops from PC World can be getting them with a proper Windows install CD, but as it offers the Vista upgrade that should hopefully solve that.I didn't buy from PC World but there were no CDs at all. I got the impression that was the way things tend to be now and created recovery DVDs as soon as I got everything up and running. I also can get the Vista upgrade.

So far I've done my recovery discs, updated my anti virus software and played with some of the new features - anything else I should be doing?

Trousers
2nd-January-2007, 12:38 PM
One annoying thing about some laptops from PC World can be getting them with a proper Windows install CD, but as it offers the Vista upgrade that should hopefully solve that.

Solve hmmmm

Does that mean Microsoft outsourced the writing of Vista to a company that know what they are doing?

Lynn I reckon you should be very wary of Vista until ServicePack2 appears.

'It's the only way to be sure'

StokeBloke
2nd-January-2007, 12:59 PM
When looking for anything technological I always have a quick shuftie on the Morgan Computers (http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk)site. There are bargains to be had, and I have been dealing with them for years without issue or problem.

Lynn
2nd-January-2007, 02:00 PM
Lynn I reckon you should be very wary of Vista until ServicePack2 appears.Oh, I'm planning on waiting until what much more knowledgeable folk on here pass comment!

Any suggestion about the best way to transfer things from my old PC? Specifically is there a way of transferring my contacts list? (Files and folders I can simply move via a memory stick.)

philsmove
2nd-January-2007, 03:27 PM
I can simply move via a memory stick.)

YES

I use a 4 GB USB flash drive to transfer stuff from home to work

And from my lap top to my home desk top

But your contacts should fit on something a lot smaller

Open contacts

Click on file then import export

Lynn
2nd-January-2007, 05:07 PM
But your contacts should fit on something a lot smaller

Open contacts

Click on file then import exportI have a memory stick, its usually the quickest and easiest way I find of transfering data.

I'll have a go at that, ta.

Swinging bee
2nd-January-2007, 06:30 PM
If it's of any use, my eldest is a manager for a PC World Superstore, he says that the laptop with the least amount of appearances at the help desk is the HP Compaq.
I am using one to do this reply at the mo'. it's 4 years old now and rarely misses a beat, only when the used has blonde moments!

Lynn
2nd-January-2007, 06:55 PM
If it's of any use, my eldest is a manager for a PC World Superstore, he says that the laptop with the least amount of appearances at the help desk is the HP Compaq. I've heard OK things about Acer. PC World don't sell very many Acer laptops so I guess that maybe its not an easy one to compare.

My desktop is Packard Bell, from PC World and hasn't given many problems in the past 4 years or so - I've never had to call a helpdesk.

But I'm still reassured by 3 years warranty!

Lynn
2nd-January-2007, 09:49 PM
Grrr. Grrrrrrr!

Box says 1024MB DDR2 RAM.

Laptop has 512MB DDR2 RAM.

:mad:

What do I do now? Do I contact Acer or reseller? Will I need to return the whole thing and get a refund or is it something they can collect and fix and return to me?

frodo
2nd-January-2007, 09:52 PM
Any suggestion about the best way to transfer things from my old PC? Specifically is there a way of transferring my contacts list? (Files and folders I can simply move via a memory stick.)

Microsoft have some migration tools though I've never attempted to use them .

For example:-
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-01.html

Difficult to say why a laptop is less hot than expected. One side benefit I didn't mention of more efficient CPU power management is that the fan can be quieter turned down or off more of the time (doesn't mean it will be - just it could be ).

The main reason I wouldn't pick up Windows Vista given the option is if you have earlier existing additional software to use- not so much waiting for service pack 2 - but waiting for other software to catch up and have the problems worked out by other people.

Lynn
2nd-January-2007, 10:41 PM
Grrr. Grrrrrrr!

Box says 1024MB DDR2 RAM.

Laptop has 512MB DDR2 RAM.

:mad: Its looking like the wrong laptop has been supplied. A lower spec model has been boxed and sold as a higher spec model - at the higher spec model price.

Very annoyed. I think I'm going to have to take everything off this again and return for a refund. :mad: :angry:

philsmove
2nd-January-2007, 11:11 PM
May be not, they may be able to add extra “thingy” with out changing the whole thing

Lynn
3rd-January-2007, 12:51 AM
May be not, they may be able to add extra “thingy” with out changing the whole thingNo, it has the wrong graphics card as well. Its the wrong model - almost identical, same number, but different spec. You take the outside box to the till, they then take it away and put another box inside it - and it was marked in felt pen to be the right one, but on looking at the bar code on the box inside the box, inside the box (anyone still with me?) it didn't match up with the outer box.

Now I have to remove everything and get it changed. :mad: Fortunately I hadn't put too much software on yet and nothing confidential. Still irritating though.

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-January-2007, 08:56 AM
unlucky - still they should gave you something for the hassle really. Hope you get the replacement ok.

And yes I wouldn't touch the first release of Vista with a barge poll *, just because microsoft would like guinea pigs to do their testing, doesn't mean you need to be one of them ;)

* 5 options on what length you prefer

Lynn
3rd-January-2007, 10:48 AM
unlucky - still they should gave you something for the hassle really. Hope you get the replacement ok.I bet they don't though. Still not sure if its an Acer mistake or the shop - there are 5 left in the shop we checked with last night and we asked them to look in one box and it appears to be the correct one. You can tell by the last few digits of the bar code apparently.

I only noticed on the sticker on the laptop itself, it wasn't obvious. You do sort of expect it to be what it says it is.

And I had a fair amount of work to do last night (not 'work' work, voluntary stuff) and had to go back to using the desktop - and it now seems soooo slow! (Ended up spending 7 hours in front of one computer or another last night - not what I wanted after sitting in front of one most of the day at work.)

And I know, this would never happen with a Mac. :rolleyes:

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-January-2007, 11:04 AM
of course it would, its humans that are stupid , not the computers :)

Lynn
4th-January-2007, 10:21 AM
of course it would, its humans that are stupid , not the computers :)Yep, and I think it was an error at the supplier, not the reseller - seems they got some correct and some incorrect laptops all sent in the same boxes, until you opened the internal box the only way to tell is the EAN code on the side of the second box.

All sorted now, took it back and exchanged for the correct one!

(Is it just me, or is the thread the wrong way round with the last post first and the first post last? Really confusing.)

philsmove
4th-January-2007, 11:04 AM
(Is it just me, or is the thread the wrong way round with the last post first and the first post last? Really confusing.)

Go user CP
Click Edit options

Go to Thread display options

Lynn
4th-January-2007, 11:19 AM
Go user CP
Click Edit options

Go to Thread display optionsI can't!:tears:

I just repeatedly get the 'DST settings updated' message repeatedly - I can't even use the 'Back' button.

I haven't changed my thread display options - the only different thing I did this morning was play with the 'visible/invisible' button at the top and now my thread display has changed and I can't access User CP.

Help - please!

Lynn
4th-January-2007, 11:29 AM
I just repeatedly get the 'DST settings updated' message repeatedly.

I haven't changed my thread display options - the only different thing I did this morning was play with the 'visible/invisible' button at the top and now my thread display has changed and I can't access User CP.I rememberd that you get access to CP functions when you view PMs and did that - changed the view to oldest first - and go the 'DST settings updated' message again repeatedly and no change.

I went in again and changed the view and turned off the DST option as well. It said it was updating my profile... then I go the 'DST settings updated' message again repeatedly and no change to thread view.

HELP!

DavidY
4th-January-2007, 11:57 AM
'DST settings updated' message again repeatedly and no change.I seem to remember Minnie M had a problem like this. The "DST settings" is about "Daylight Saving Time" - you normally get the message when the clocks go back or forward an hour.

I think in Minnie's case the cause was the date on her computer was wrong, which confused the forum software.

Is the date on your new laptop correct (and, for example, in 2007...:whistle: )?

Edit: I found the thread Minnie started (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9380) when she had this problem - looks like changing the User CP settings may be part of the cure. I'd still check the date on your computer, though.

Lynn
4th-January-2007, 12:32 PM
I seem to remember Minnie M had a problem like this. The "DST settings" is about "Daylight Saving Time" - you normally get the message when the clocks go back or forward an hour.

I think in Minnie's case the cause was the date on her computer was wrong, which confused the forum software.

Is the date on your new laptop correct (and, for example, in 2007...:whistle: )?

Edit: I found the thread Minnie started (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9380) when she had this problem - looks like changing the User CP settings may be part of the cure. I'd still check the date on your computer, though.No, this isn't on my laptop, haven't got as far as that with the new one - this is on the work PC and yes, its fine.

I got the DST message as soon as I clicked on the forum link this time.
I'll try changing the CP settings again.

Lynn
4th-January-2007, 12:47 PM
I'll try changing the CP settings again.It won't put any CP changes into effect. It says 'thank you for updating your profile' but when I go back in, the settings have not been changed.

The DST message is just a pain. Having to read the threads bottom of the page up is a nightmare.

Lou
4th-January-2007, 12:50 PM
You've probably tried it already, Lynn - but if you haven't, try clearing your cache. It solves a multitude of problems, particularly if you're on Firefox. :D

Magic Hans
13th-January-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm looking at low end laptops at the minute.

Dell seem to have some very good deals:

Inspiron 1300 [£329 - additional £30 off until 15th Jan]

Intel® Celeron® M Processor 380 (1.60 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB)
512MB 533MHz DDR SDRAM
40GB Hard Drive (5,400rpm)
Integrated 24xCDRW/8x DVD Combo Drive
=====================

Inspiron 1501 [£349]

Mobile AMD Sempron TM Processor 3500+
512MB 533MHz DDR SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive (5,400rpm)

Any thoughts or experiences with Dell?

Dreadful Scathe
13th-January-2007, 08:43 PM
Very poor value for money in DELL laptops imo - compare to acernotebooks.co.uk or ebuyer.co.uk :)

frodo
13th-January-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm looking at low end laptops at the minute.

Dell seem to have some very good deals:

Inspiron 1300 [£329 - additional £30 off until 15th Jan]

Intel® Celeron® M Processor 380 (1.60 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB)
512MB 533MHz DDR SDRAM
40GB Hard Drive (5,400rpm)
=====================

Inspiron 1501 [£349]

Mobile AMD Sempron TM Processor 3500+
512MB 533MHz DDR SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive (5,400rpm)

Any thoughts or experiences with Dell?
Generally they're OK - with my Dell's the quality hasn't been that great. I think if they can leave off something which costs 5p they generally will.
One thing that annoys me is the power supply quality. Mains noise disrupts both my mobile Dell devices (sound and screen) but no other devices by any other manufacturer, have any problem with it.

Being Dell they've made the laptop power supply so any other manufacturers power supply won't charge the battery, so I'm stuck with that problem.

On both my Dell computers I sometimes get memory errors, so I don't think they build in a whole lot of margin there either.

On the plus side spare (if flawed) laptop power supplies and batteries surprisingly haven't been that expensive for me.

Even so I don't regret much buying my Dell devices even so because I got them for very good prices / bought them at low points in Dell's cycle of putting prices up and down.

Personally I think it is a false economy not to have the DVD writer. It will cost so much more to put one in later. Certainly some of their adverts this week have included a DVD writer @ £ 350.

Also worth checking whether it includes the Vista upgrade voucher, which again could otherwise be costly.

One thing to be aware of with the lowest end Dell's is the battery may be a cheaper NiMh battery rather than the normal Lithium Ion Battery.

Also take care as to whether delivery is included in the above prices.

The prices seem reasonable. On the other hand Dell hit this sort of price briefly at times a year or more ago with a similar sort of spec. Not clear if the first price is £299 - if so it doesn't sound bad at all.

Lynn
13th-January-2007, 09:47 PM
compare to acernotebooks.co.uk Useful site, we checked it before we made a purchase. It was a bit cheaper for the laptop I got locally, (not free delivery to NI etc) but I got 2 years more warranty. It was useful as a comparison site.