PDA

View Full Version : Fusion Dance Party, Saturday 15th of July in Earl’s Court!

Cruella
11th-July-2006, 05:03 PM
Is anyone else going to this?

1. Fusion Dance Party Saturday 15th of July in Earl’s Court!
Introducing a fantastic dance adventure in the heart of Earls Court!
Jango « Modern Jive « West Coast Swing « Night Club Two Step « Tango
The Philbeach Hall
51 Philbeach Gardens
Earls' Courts
London SW5 9EB

Little Monkey
11th-July-2006, 05:07 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :tears:

Wanna go, wanna go, wanna go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, I shall go to the Dundee party instead.....

SilverFox
12th-July-2006, 12:41 AM
The Easy one and I shall be in Cornwall sampling the delights of the local hospitality :yum: and the subliminal choons of Mr Marc Forster. :worthy: :worthy:

:cheers:

Tiggerbabe
12th-July-2006, 01:25 AM
I'll be at the Dundee party too :clap: Sharing the decks with Mr Dance Demon - it's going to be a great night :D

Shaz
12th-July-2006, 01:33 AM
How does WCS advertising get past the moderators ? This has happened a few times, where other 'advertising' has been deleted :(

WittyBird
12th-July-2006, 01:37 AM
How does WCS advertising get past the moderators ? This has happened a few times, where other 'advertising' has been deleted :(

This is a fusion between MJ, Jango & WCS , but ultimately this thread is another who's going where. There is bugg@r else on this weekend :mad: Most people are intrigued to find out if there fav dancers / dance friends are going. Thats all.

Tiggerbabe
12th-July-2006, 01:44 AM
Oh well, I shall go to the Dundee party instead.....
Just heard that Trampy's in Perth this week - only 23 miles away :whistle: isn't it? :innocent:

Shaz
12th-July-2006, 01:51 AM
This is a fusion between MJ, Jango & WCS , but ultimately this thread is another who's going where. There is bugg@r else on this weekend :mad: Most people are intrigued to find out if there fav dancers / dance friends are going. Thats all.
The post had ALL information about the event including email link :really: You only need the name, date and area to let people know what and where things are going on :rolleyes:

WittyBird
12th-July-2006, 01:55 AM
The post had ALL information about the event including email link :really: You only need the name, date and area to let people know what and where things are going on :rolleyes:

AND? (I can't see an email link )

don't we all put as much info into posts as we can? :rolleyes:
All Cruella did was Copy & Paste from the email that was sent to her :rolleyes:

What is the problem?

Tiggerbabe
12th-July-2006, 02:13 AM
AND? (I can't see an email link )

I have now edited Cruella's post and have taken out the e-mail link.
As moderators we try to read every post, but unless reported we may miss the odd one. In this case the thread was not a direct advert but as Wittybird said, a "Who's going where?" post.

WittyBird
12th-July-2006, 02:42 AM
as Wittybird said, a "Who's going where?" post.

exactement, merci. Maintenant pouvons-nous parler de samedi ? :sick:
esattamente, :rolleyes: grazie. Ora possiamo parlare di sabato? :D

*** :rolleyes:

clevedonboy
12th-July-2006, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a good event, but I'll be Djing on Saturday for a charity dance at Ashton Park School in Bristol (apparently it has air con :clap:)

I've heard tell that the lovely Elaine & Simon are strutting their stuff at the same event

latinlover
12th-July-2006, 01:30 PM
does any one know what the parking is like around Earl's Court?

WittyBird
12th-July-2006, 01:42 PM
does any one know what the parking is like around Earl's Court?

I spoke to Dizzy last night about exactly the same thing. To which she replied, 'Not a hope' :eek:

Dizzy
12th-July-2006, 01:52 PM
I spoke to Dizzy last night about exactly the same thing. To which she replied, 'Not a hope' :eek:

Not exactly!!
The road that the hall is on has permit parking only but when we were there on Thursday, the inspector was booking cars and I know of at least one person that got caught. I don't know if there is any time limit though but spaces were limited.

Rhythm King did say that he was parking on the main Earls Court Road because you can park in places after 7pm but he will have to clarify more. :flower:

Earls Court Station is only 5 minutes walk away though.

Msfab
12th-July-2006, 02:17 PM
Heres is a map of parking around the earls court area.
http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/parking/parkingresidents_map.pdf

The venue is in the light blue shaded area - parking here is until 6.30pm on saturday. Across the road in the pink area parking finishes at 1.30pm on a Saturday.

Hope this helps!

Sheepman
12th-July-2006, 03:22 PM
Heres is a map of parking around the earls court area.
And here's the same thing for "just across the border", in Hammersmith & Fulham
http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/Images/CPZ%20map_tcm21-52716.pdf
According to that, you can park in the resident zone after 5pm weekdays, as opposed to 10pm in the Kensington & Chelsea zones, so that might help those who go on Thursday, but I'd want to see it for myself to be sure.

Greg

El Salsero Gringo
12th-July-2006, 08:23 PM
I have Amir's permish to take some more photos, and I'm thinking of working towards a small exhibition if I can find somewhere that will let me. Since I know that probably not everyone likes having a camera in their face, if anyone's uncomfortable with me taking their photo but doesn't want to say so on Saturday, they can always drop me a pm and then I know to avoid them.

Rhythm King
12th-July-2006, 09:17 PM
Would go, but I´ll be sampling the delights of WCS in New York :waycool: I´ll try and go next time though.

The parking dizzt referred to was on single lines on the left (west) side of Warwick Avenue, after 19:00 hrs.

Lynn
13th-July-2006, 12:23 PM
Would go, but I´ll be sampling the delights of WCS in New York :waycool: Ooh, enjoy!

I'm tempted by an open air 'tango under the stars' event in Dublin (together with a good forecast), but don't think I could face the trip a second time this week. So it'll be a long overdue 'house declutter' instead. :(

littlewiggle
14th-July-2006, 09:31 PM
Sounds great but think I'll stick with going to Marcus Garvey for this Saturday! Happy dancing everyone :grin:

jacksondonut
15th-July-2006, 05:46 PM
Yaaaayyyy, we will be there too... see you guys later on...:hug:

lotsa luv Jan
:clap: :clap:

fletch
15th-July-2006, 07:13 PM
Have a FAB time I wish I was coming :tears:

fletch
16th-July-2006, 08:50 AM
there isn't a who's going where tread this weekend so I will put last night Solihull venue on this thread.:confused:

Well before I start I would just like to point out that my comments regarding DJ's and music can be positive i.e.;-

John Brett Ealing Friday 7th

'Our man Flynn' Oxford Friday 14th

They both played mixed varied set catering to all tastes,:worthy: so with this in mind my comments from last night.

It was dreadful,:sick: apart from a few track in the middle of the evening it seem to be all 'thud, thud, thud' i'm sorry but Status Quo just doesn't do it for me, and the dance track were IMHO were not suitable to MJ to.:sad:

I have the utmost :respect: for John Baker and suggest he looks at his DJ's play list and gives him a helping hand.:flower:

Solihull has no air conditioning and usually very busy so you can be left short of breath, at one point I came off the dance floor hot sweaty and desperately in needing of a drink, there was a que at the bar, and had to stand several minutes with a lady smoking I was nearly sick, this venue in my opinion NEEDS to be a 'non smoking' venue.:sick:

On a positive note the curry me OXOS had on the way home was lovely:drool:

Cruella
16th-July-2006, 11:56 AM
Had a great night at the Fusion Dance Party. Loved the Swango lesson, lots of getting my legs and feet tied in knots. :D Gregs set was excellent. A nice ambience all round. The only problem was, it was too popular! Could have done with a bigger venue. :rolleyes: But these things are unpredictable. The Cabarets by Lee, Cat and Amir were fantastic. Although it would of been nice to see Lee and Amir dance something together. :wink: Can't wait to see the photos, no pressure ESG.:whistle:

Paul F
16th-July-2006, 12:23 PM
So how big was the venue compared to, say, Kent house?

Cruella
16th-July-2006, 12:32 PM
So how big was the venue compared to, say, Kent house?
I'm rubbish at sizes. :innocent: But the dance floor was probably just under twice the size of Kent house. But the chairs were on the edges of the dancefloor as there was no other seating area. Unless of course you went up onto the stage area, where there were lots of comfy sofas and armchairs.

Paul F
16th-July-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm rubbish at sizes. :innocent: But the dance floor was probably just under twice the size of Kent house. But the chairs were on the edges of the dancefloor as there was no other seating area. Unless of course you went up onto the stage area, where there were lots of comfy sofas and armchairs.

That sounds pretty good. I will look forward to the next one - if there is one of course :nice:

Lee
16th-July-2006, 12:40 PM
I think it was a very good evening, lots of amazing dancers.

El Salsero Gringo
16th-July-2006, 01:24 PM
Can't wait to see the photos, no pressure ESG.:whistle:http://www.cerocscotland.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=518

Couple of nice ones of you. (What was Ed looking for, by the way?)

Feelingpink
16th-July-2006, 01:35 PM
http://www.cerocscotland.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=518

Couple of nice ones of you. (What was Ed looking for, by the way?)And more importantly ... did he find it? :whistle:

Paul F
16th-July-2006, 01:40 PM
And more importantly ... did he find it? :whistle:

Not sure what he found but it looks like he is checking his pulse

:rofl:

jacksondonut
16th-July-2006, 02:55 PM
Well.... I had a ball... so many laughs, so many lovely people... its so good to be back on the dancefloor...:worthy: :worthy: :yeah:

Knew Id missed everyone.. but now I realise just how much :hug: :hug: thank you Clive, lovely dance... nice to meet you. :flower: And lovely dances with everyone else too.. thank you all for your patience... (lost the plot many a time... :rofl: :rofl: )

My knee held up fairly well Im pleased to say... just a kick to my ankle first dance of the evening was the only injury of the night... and being so busy on the dancefloor, that was good going...!!

Awesome caberet.... loved it, loved it....:yeah: always amazed by Cat, Lee and Amir.. Thankyou.....:clap: :clap: :clap:

Loved the music too... :yeah:

All in all, a FAB night for me..
:cheers::cheers:

Missy D
16th-July-2006, 08:55 PM
To be honest I am not sure what I thought of last night! The venue was small but the floor was good. The music was good although some tracks were a challenge to dance to. Got a couple of refusals but thats probably because I dont do west coast swing. I got trod on a few times - my feet look like they have been through an attempted crusifiction.

I loved the cabaret performed by Amir, Cat and Lee:worthy: What beautiful dancers they are:worthy:

Met up with some lovely forumites - some of which I have not seen for ages.:hug:

I would go again!

Minnie M
16th-July-2006, 09:28 PM
........... Got a couple of refusals but thats probably because I dont do west coast swing......

Good followers (which you are) can follow any dancers - even if you can't do the fancy WCS stuff

:angry: you are a lovely dancer - makes me cross when people refuse dancers - unless they are tired or in pain IMO they should not refuse - and if it is the track they don't like dancing to, they should come back and ask you for a dance later :mad:

Missy D
16th-July-2006, 09:36 PM
Good followers (which you are) can follow any dancers - even if you can't do the fancy WCS stuff

:angry: you are a lovely dancer - makes me cross when people refuse dancers - unless they are tired or in pain IMO they should not refuse - and if it is the track they don't like dancing to, they should come back and ask you for a dance later :mad:

Ah thank you:flower:

Each time I am refused I want to ask why but, just dont feel confident to do so. However, one day I will:devil:

Lee
16th-July-2006, 10:36 PM
I said 'no thanks' a couple of times because I needed water and to change tops and dry off a bit. But returned later for the dances.

At the end of the night I said no again cause i started getting light headed (cause I’m unfit) so chose to sit down a chat for a bit.

People should stop taking things personally, it's only dancing. :whistle:

What we should be more intolerant of is people that are not spatially aware, I saw a couple of nasty foot injuries last night. :mad:

Lee:waycool:

fletch
16th-July-2006, 10:44 PM
Each time I am refused I want to ask why but, just dont feel confident to do so. However, one day I will:devil:
On the whole I ask why, if it is someone I don't know or haven't danced with before.

I got refused at Hammersmith ages ago and when I asked why he said he didn't need to give me a reason, after 2 tracks of us discussing the point he gave in and danced with me, I think he thought it was the only way to get rid of me:na:

Missy D
16th-July-2006, 11:32 PM
Well I have never met you Lee but, I dont think it were you that refused me. The person I asked said no without looking at me and ran across and asked someone else. Ok maybe I should not take it personally but, it can really shatter ones confidence - especially if you are a newcomer to the dance.

Bring out the 'Hotshot' stickers ESG!

LMC
17th-July-2006, 08:50 AM
I was a bit put out when my last partner in the lesson legged it to film Amir and Cat performing the routine (which was OK) and then went and asked someone else to finish the track with him rather than coming back to me (which wasn't :( )

The rest of the evening was a good 'un though - not the "best ever" as I wasn't inspired by Graham's music (personal taste :shrug: ), but I had some fabulous dances and some good larfs - thanks all :) (nice spare arm spindr :rofl: )

Cruella
17th-July-2006, 09:15 AM
nice spare arm spindr :rofl:
Would that be the one he uses to block anyone who dances within his space! :whistle:

spindr
17th-July-2006, 09:36 AM
Would that be the one he uses to block anyone who dances within his space! :whistle:
Nah, it's the one that keeps my partner safe (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/floor_craft.html#fending_off).
SpinDr

Cruella
17th-July-2006, 09:41 AM
Nah, it's the one that keeps my partner safe (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/floor_craft.html#fending_off).
SpinDr
You should add a little stroke so that the blockee enjoys it more. :D

LMC
17th-July-2006, 09:44 AM
Good article, appears to need an edit along the lines of tripping up innocent bystanders trying to walk along the edge of the floor :whistle: cheeky so-and-so

spindr
17th-July-2006, 10:17 AM
But there weren't any
innocent bystanders there :)
SpinDr

Wave Dancer
18th-July-2006, 07:49 PM
It was a great night! :clap: Had some really good dances and got to a point in the night where I was on a role - connected and in time with the music that every dance there for a while was a very creative and very cool dance to have! :waycool:

I was completely blown away by the demonstrations! They were amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing your talents - you guys rock!!! :worthy: I'm feeling very privileged to have such professional talent teaching me. Meezz feelz I have a loooonnnngggg way to go!!:flower:

Wave Dancer
18th-July-2006, 07:52 PM
Oh yeah - forgot to mention - the Swango was very interesting to learn. Felt good to merge the 3 styles together - lends itself to doing just about anything on the dance floor really!! Really enjoyed the class and was great to be exposed to yet 'another' dance style over here. Thanks heaps guys!

Alice
18th-July-2006, 11:10 PM
Fabulous night, and I loved the Swango class:) Very groovy...

Thank you to Greg and Graham for their wonderful and varied music all night... and WOW to Cat, Lee and Amir for their demonstrations. Great to see you perform and really strut your stuff:wink:

I was particularly awed by Lee's solo:drool: :worthy: :worthy:

We are so lucky to have such fabulous teachers.... <sigh>

Well done to all who had a hand in organising it all!! I liked the venue too...:clap: :respect:

stewart38
19th-July-2006, 10:21 AM
Got a couple of refusals but thats probably because I dont do west coast swing. I got trod on a few times - my feet look like they have been through an attempted crusifiction.

Would you say it was cliquey ?

stewart38
20th-July-2006, 09:36 AM
Would you say it was cliquey ?

Why dont the 3 people who rep me over this comment add something here ?

A non forumite said she found it cliquey , I didn’t go so asked if it was ?

3 formuties have rep me agreeing it was cliquey but not posted why ?

This is a open forum ?? :sad:

Msfab
20th-July-2006, 09:49 AM
Why dont the 3 people who rep me over this comment add something here ?
A non forumite said she found it cliquey , I didn’t go so asked if it was ?
3 formuties have rep me agreeing it was cliquey but not posted why ?
This is a open forum ?? :sad:

They can choose to remain silent if they so wish!

It wasnt so much being cliquey - more that there were people from different dance styles that dont do all the dance styles. I do know that some of the WCS dont MJ! What are you going to do, make sure everyone that attends such an event can do all the styles catered for?:confused:

LMC
20th-July-2006, 09:53 AM
I didn't find it cliquey. And I did ask several people I don't know/have never seen to dance. Didn't get any refusals - even had a really fun dance with a nice guy who gulped when I told him I only knew MJ as he hadn't done MJ for years and was a WCS dancer.

:yeah: to wot MsFab said.

Limpy Tink
20th-July-2006, 11:57 AM
It wasnt so much being cliquey - more that there were people from different dance styles that dont do all the dance styles......

:yeah: I didn't find it cliquey either - I had a great night. :D

Loved the Swango class - and the dancing by Cat, Lee & Amir was totally amazing and just goes to show how versatile they all are :respect: :worthy:

I know Lee assured everyone there that his routine was not quite finished, but it looked pretty complete from where I was standing - but the general consensus from where I was standing (admittedly that was with Zebra & Cruella :wink: ) was that Lee's solo could have been improved upon... if he had taken off his shirt! :drool:

All in all - I'm looking forward to the next one! :nice:

PS. Manal - I'm sorry not to have been able to jump in to have a birthday dance with you - you were in so much demand, we needed a longer track!

Cruella
20th-July-2006, 12:22 PM
:(admittedly that was with Zebra & Cruella :wink: ) was that Lee's solo could have been improved upon... if he had taken off his shirt! :drool:

It just seemed to distract from the flow of the dance, honest!:wink:

Dizzy
20th-July-2006, 01:43 PM
I didn't find it cliquey. And I did ask several people I don't know/have never seen to dance.

:yeah:
The Swango class was great, loved the merge of WCS, tango and ceroc all in one move!!

The cabarets were just :drool:. Fusing tango and lindy hop was something that seems new. Look out everyone, here comes Tindy (or Lango!!).

but the general consensus from where I was standing (admittedly that was with Zebra & Cruella ) was that Lee's solo could have been improved upon... if he had taken off his shirt!

:yeah: :wink:

I had a great night dancing with all different people. The floor was very packed with people doing all sorts of dances and I was able to get some much needed WCS practice in (apologies to guys who tried to lead me!!).

All in all, I really enjoyed myself and can't wait for the next one.

Paul F
20th-July-2006, 01:46 PM
The Swango class was great, loved the merge of WCS, tango and ceroc all in one move!!

Swango has been around for some time over in the states. An interesting mix of dances :)

As for the 'cliquey' issue, I find people are too quick to label a venue as cliquey.
Turn up, see a number of people who know each other - hey presto! a cliquey venue :rolleyes:

El Salsero Gringo
20th-July-2006, 01:54 PM
As for the 'cliquey' issue, I find people are too quick to label a venue as cliquey.
Turn up, see a number of people who know each other - hey presto! a cliquey venue :rolleyes:Cliquey is in the eye of the beholder... if someone's experience of a venue is that it is cliquey - then hey presto! it *is* cliquey!

Minnie M
20th-July-2006, 08:59 PM
Swango has been around for some time over in the states. An interesting mix of dances ...........
I noticed that Jordon & Tatiana have put some 'swango' moves in their routines now :worthy:

Did a google search and found this http://www.hiphoplindy.com/swango/swangofaq.htm

half way down it says "The first person I ever heard use the phrase Swango was Daniel Trenner and that was about 1995/1996"

Paul F
21st-July-2006, 05:19 AM
You start to wonder what other weird and wonderful combinations will emerge. :grin:

Lynn
21st-July-2006, 07:51 AM
Cliquey is in the eye of the beholder... if someone's experience of a venue is that it is cliquey - then hey presto! it *is* cliquey!:yeah:

I'm agreeing with ESG about something! :really:

El Salsero Gringo
21st-July-2006, 08:05 AM

I'm agreeing with ESG about something! :really:Is that really so awful?

:really:

stewart38
21st-July-2006, 09:06 AM

I'm agreeing with ESG about something! :really:

I agree more then 50% of the time, the other time the words he writes are just too long for me to understand like :sad: