PDA

View Full Version : Forum Updates

Minnie M
10th-July-2006, 10:04 PM
other than the explanation of the thread features at the top of the screen (as below)

Forum technical problems / Questions / Suggestions.. Report any problem or ask a question about the Forum... Problems with registration, post here.
guests / unregistered can post here

- what other new features has this updated version of the forum got (please) :flower:

ducasi
10th-July-2006, 10:48 PM
Did notice them, but don't think this is a new version yet...

Search seems to be working again though. :clap:

DavidY
14th-July-2006, 08:33 PM
I could've sworn that when looking at a list of threads in Search Results, you used to be able to "hover" your mouse over the thread title and a little "tool tip" would show you the text at the start of the first post.

This seems to have stopped working for me?:confused:

If it makes a difference I'm using Basic Blue by the way (the orange colour scheme...).

ducasi
14th-July-2006, 08:49 PM
I could've sworn that when looking at a list of threads in Search Results, you used to be able to "hover" your mouse over the thread title and a little "tool tip" would show you the text at the start of the first post.

This seems to have stopped working for me? :confused:
Yeah, I see that too – sometimes useful, though a bit of a pain other times.

Maybe they've been turned off. :shrug:

Lou
17th-July-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm not not a spoon any more.... :sad: ... just somewhat senior....

Tiggerbabe
17th-July-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm not not a spoon any more.... :sad: ... just somewhat senior....
yeah! Looks like it! :whistle: :wink:

Beowulf
20th-July-2006, 08:24 AM
yeah! Looks like it! :whistle: :wink:

haha just noticed :rofl:

Question.. in User CP there's this "register your admiration for..." and this "secret admirer" report thingie.. does it not actually do anything .. or am I just very very unpopular ;) :blush: :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
20th-July-2006, 08:53 AM
haha just noticed :rofl:

Question.. in User CP there's this "register your admiration for..." and this "secret admirer" report thingie.. does it not actually do anything .. or am I just very very unpopular ;) :blush: :rofl:It's left over from St. Valentine's Day earlier this year. If you and someone else both register admiration for each other, the Forum software sends you a PM to let you both know.

Donna
20th-July-2006, 06:00 PM
It's left over from St. Valentine's Day earlier this year. If you and someone else both register admiration for each other, the Forum software sends you a PM to let you both know.

Not anymore it doesn't. Franck stopped it about 2 months ago. :sad: :sad:

DavidY
28th-February-2007, 10:05 PM

This seems to have stopped working for me?:confused: Was hoping this feature might return with the latest forum upgrade but no such luck..

Is there any reason why this was turned off (assuming that's what happened)?

ducasi
28th-February-2007, 11:06 PM
Was hoping this feature might return with the latest forum upgrade but no such luck..

Is there any reason why this was turned off (assuming that's what happened)?
I'd guess it was turned off for two reasons.

First, it slows down the forum as it involves a lot more database accesses to create each page, and also the content of each page becomes much larger. Both these things slow the forum down.

Second, the content of the first post isn't always useful – especially on long running threads.

That said, on balance, I miss the feature.

Whitebeard
1st-March-2007, 03:21 AM
I know Franck's been playing arround adding new features: one result is that eMail links now take me to the first post in a thread rather than the last (or, more ideally, the last read post in a thread).

ducasi
1st-March-2007, 10:21 AM
I know Franck's been playing arround adding new features: one result is that eMail links now take me to the first post in a thread rather than the last (or, more ideally, the last read post in a thread).
Which email links? Can you post an example?

Whitebeard
1st-March-2007, 04:38 PM
Which email links? Can you post an example?

Yes, hi Ducasi, I'd better clarify and give more detail.

I receive emails from the forum with the text of and a link to new posts in threads to which I am susbscribed. These links are not live by default in my mail program so I copy and paste to the browser address bar.

Ideally those links should take me straight to the new post and I'm sure I recall that used to happen back in the mists.

More recently the links have taken me to the top of the page on which the new post appears; so I've had to scroll down to find the post.

Even more recently, last few days, and where a thread is more than one page, the link now takes me to the top of the page containing the first post which started the thread.

Many moons ago I set a preference for the latest post to be displayed above earlier posts on the page. So the latest post is always on page 1. Here is a recent link -

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/6574-feedback-club-nights-new-post.html

(I notice these links now seem to be longer and now end with html.)

The above link takes me to page 11 of the thread containing posts from way back in October 2005 ;-(

Clive.

ducasi
1st-March-2007, 06:54 PM
That's for the explanation Whitebeard, I understand your problem much better now.

I fear it is caused by the new "Search-Engine Friendly" URLs system (responsible for these new "ending-in-html" links) which Franck has added to the forum – from what you say, it doesn't seem to be able to cope with people who have asked for the latest posts to be shown first.

I have my own (perceived) problems with this new system, but they are unrelated.

I'd guess the options are:

Get used to it.
Switch back to forward sorting, rather than reverse sorting.
Petition Franck to remove the system until this bug is fixed.
Hope the bug gets fixed quickly.

Sorry there's no actual solution in that list. :)

DavidY
1st-March-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't know if it's related, but I've found that for some (but not all) threads, the normal "Goto first new post" link doesn't always take me to the 1st unread link, but instead takes me to the very 1st post.

I'd guessed it was to do with the forum upgrades losing the current "status" of what I'd read for some threads?

But once I've gone into a thread once and got to the end of it , the "Goto first new post" seems to work again as I'd expect.

ducasi
1st-March-2007, 07:13 PM
I don't know if it's related, but I've found that for some (but not all) threads, the normal "Goto first new post" link doesn't always take me to the 1st unread link, but instead takes me to the very 1st post.
Don't think that's related.

That's usually due to a thread split, where the forum has lost track of you having read the posts in the original thread, and so they are "new" in the new thread.

(Aside: You can tell which posts the forum thinks you have read by the colour of the wee document icon next to the date above the post.)

DavidY
2nd-March-2007, 11:00 AM
Don't think that's related.

That's usually due to a thread split, where the forum has lost track of you having read the posts in the original thread, and so they are "new" in the new thread.

(Aside: You can tell which posts the forum thinks you have read by the colour of the wee document icon next to the date above the post.)Thanks for that - never spotted that before.

However, even if I open a thread, the "View First Unread" link at the top of the thread doesn't go to the first one with a different colour icon.:confused:

Could be wrong, but I don't think all of the threads I've noticed this on have been split or moved either.

ducasi
2nd-March-2007, 11:39 AM
Um... Dunno then... Not something I've seen... :shrug: