PDA

View Full Version : What is Scottish Style?

David Bailey
10th-July-2006, 07:31 PM
We've done the discussion of Australian style, so, influenced by this quote (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=252201#post252201):

We Have a Style? :confused: :sick:

I'd like to ask - Is there a definite "Scottish Style"? If so, what is it?

(and leave the haggis jokes at the door please, it's a semi-serious question, OK?)

Freya
10th-July-2006, 07:34 PM
Ok I got in just before you! but mines a bit more general I think!!!!

Lynn
10th-July-2006, 07:36 PM
Wasn't this covered somewhere else partially in another thread? Can't remember where it was.

EDIT - I think this (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7472)was what I was thinking of. :innocent:

Lory
10th-July-2006, 07:40 PM
Is there a definite "Scottish Style"? If so, what is it?

Of the Scottish men i've been lucky enough to sample, I'd say the general style is 'uninhibited, close contact, FUN'! :cheers:

foxylady
10th-July-2006, 09:44 PM
Of the Scottish men i've been lucky enough to sample, I'd say the general style is 'uninhibited, close contact, FUN'! :cheers:

and they ALL do that leg slidy thing*, which I haven't encountered in anyone else from any other part of the kingdom....

* you know the one where they put one of their feet between yours and slide your feet apart and sort of lunge at the same time...

Freya
10th-July-2006, 09:46 PM
and they ALL do that leg slidy thing*, which I haven't encountered in anyone else from any other part of the kingdom....

* you know the one where they put one of there feet between yours and slide your feet apart and sort of lunge at the same time...
Ooooooh I love this move although not very good at it!!!! Will have to practice with Gadget tomorrow!

Beowulf
10th-July-2006, 09:49 PM

* you know the one where they put one of their feet between yours and slide your feet apart and sort of lunge at the same time...

I don't do that one... yet :wink: Don;t think I've even seen anyone doing it.. I'll have to ask Gadget to show me too tomorrow !!

littlewiggle
10th-July-2006, 09:52 PM
I don't do that one... yet :wink: Don;t think I've even seen anyone doing it.. I'll have to ask Gadget to show me too tomorrow !!

LOL if it's the move I'm thinking of - it's the one that makes the lady's knix disappear.... you know where I'm coming from girls!:D

Minnie M
10th-July-2006, 10:01 PM
:yeah: :clap: :worthy::clap: :yeah:
and they SMILE :flower:

Freya
10th-July-2006, 10:05 PM

Yup we're gonna be practicing it we'll show you it!

ducasi
10th-July-2006, 10:36 PM

Hmm... It's not a move I do, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, I was taught it as part of Steve & Mel's Feeling Good routine... ;)

Maybe I need to practice it some more...

On the concept of Scottish style... I think that a lot of people's style will come from the best dancers and teachers they are likely to see. But you get all different styles of MJ dancing across Scotland. Outside of Ceroc in Scotland there are at least five other organisation that teach MJ – each is going to have its own style to some extent or other. And even inside each organisation, everyone has their own set of experiences and motivations.

That said, the sort of Scottish dancers who you're likely to meet at Southport, or some other venue south of the border are likely to already be fairly well travelled within Scotland, and so are more likely to have had good exposure to the best Scottish dancers and teachers, and thus they'll be pretty good dancers themselves, and perhaps have a certain recognisable "Scottish" style... Dunno.

I think it's fair to say though that due to this forum and the geographical spread of Ceroc Scotland, it's mainly going to be Ceroc dancers who will travel the most.

Chicklet
11th-July-2006, 10:12 AM
Tae see oursel's as others see us....

Hoorah! I actually have some relevant experience to contribute to a dance thread! True story....I have been to five weekenders and at each have had an out of the blue session of four or five dances on the trot with a chap (not ever the same chap) I had never met before that were just magical.

Honest to goodness truth, after each "sesh" the chap has asked me "are you one of those Scotch (sic) birds?" or words to that effect. At no time had I given myself away by speaking (not that I'm terribly broad). I owned up and received a wry smile and usually a request to point out some more of the gang.

Each time I have asked how he could tell because I was, and still am, fascinated by the subject. These are the (paraphrased) answers I remember, there were basically two things, expressed in different ways:

The eyes - you girls always really look like you are enjoying it.
The eyes - you girls always look at me like there's no-one in the room but me, and it's spooky and scary but wonderful (ok this one was REALLY cute so I can see this being true :blush: )
The stare - you girls can do soooo much with your eyes.
The expressions - you make faces that are soooo right for the music :waycool:
are we getting a consensus here...

Cos you're all sooo easy to lead
Cos you're all always where I want you to be and where I think you should be.
Cos none of you ever YANK

But THIS one is my favourite.

Cos 90% of the time you're a dream to lead and the other 10% of the time it feels like you're leading all of a sudden, lots of girls get bolshy and back lead, but this is different, it's sooo subtle and I actually like it...

So there you go - two elements of perceived Scottish Style up for discreditation (it's like nomination, only most of us won't cry).
personally I put most of my "skill" :rofl: at weekenders down to being outside a bottle of VC:blush: :innocent:

Pile in...

Chicklet
11th-July-2006, 10:14 AM
naaah - that's just you dancing with Dave a lot but he changes his hair between times to you don't know it's him

Lory
11th-July-2006, 11:16 AM
The eyes - you girls always really look like you are enjoying it.
The eyes - you girls always look at me like there's no-one in the room but me, and it's spooky and scary but wonderful (ok this one was REALLY cute so I can see this being true :blush: )

Cos 90% of the time you're a dream to lead and the other 10% of the time it feels like you're leading all of a sudden, lots of girls get bolshy and back lead, but this is different, it's sooo subtle and I actually like it...

Wow :worthy: :respect: I'm lucky if they say, 'Thanks, that was great!'

pmjd
11th-July-2006, 11:16 AM

Don't think I know that one either:confused: Unless it's only taught to us when we're leaving Scotland to go dancing elsewhere so you'll know where we came from:wink:

Lory
11th-July-2006, 11:20 AM
Don't think I know that one either:confused:
I know exactly the move she means, Franck does it... very well :wink:

Chicklet
11th-July-2006, 11:32 AM
Wow :worthy: :respect: I'm lucky if they say, 'Thanks, that was great!'
:blush: oh no, I didn't really mean it like that, how to sound really up yersel in one easy post - these were the things the guys said about Scottish girlS plural - and it was only 5 guys - and it's over the space of 3 years - I just have memory that conveniently filters out the myriad not so good responses.:rofl:

killingtime
11th-July-2006, 11:38 AM

Ooh! I haven't done that move in ages. I'll have to do it tonight. If it is the one I'm thinking I was taught it at Southport (by Franck).

bigdjiver
11th-July-2006, 12:26 PM
...The eyes - you girls always really look like you are enjoying it.

Cos 90% of the time you're a dream to lead and the other 10% of the time it feels like you're leading all of a sudden, lots of girls get bolshy and back lead, but this is different, it's sooo subtle and I actually like it... I did not realise that ZW was Scottish. :flower:

Dance Demon
11th-July-2006, 03:57 PM
I did not realise that ZW was Scottish. :flower:

I think she has been awarded " honorary Scottishness" on account that she's dead cool:waycool: ..

Dreadful Scathe
11th-July-2006, 04:25 PM
I think she has been awarded " honorary Scottishness" on account that she's dead cool:waycool: ..
and in black and white - we dont have colour up here :)

Bop
12th-July-2006, 01:57 PM
Personally I think there a Scottish style (as well as a Nottingham style, London style and probaby many more).

I learnt Ceroc in Nottingham and then moved to Glasgow and I find there are subtle differences which means I find many men harder to follow (Forum exceptions of course!). I thought I was dancing less well as I don't dance as often, but then I went to Southport and danced with my friends from Nottingham and it was all so easy again!!

The other big differene I've noticed is there are fewer dips, drops and aerials taught - I'd love to learn some more, but haven't seen any Scottish workshops on them. I know Frank doesn't do them himself whereas John Sweeeny who used to run Nottingham was very keen on them, so maybe that's why?

However I've have also learnt lots of new stuff such as walks which were not taught in Nottingham. There is also a bigger variety of music in Scotland, and some tracks which are great to dance to, but I'd never danced to before.

As for the leg slidey move - I thought that was just a Frank move as he's the only person I've danced with that's done that.

Bop

Nick M
12th-July-2006, 03:21 PM

Amir used to teach it

Zebra Woman
12th-July-2006, 04:40 PM
I did not realise that ZW was Scottish. :flower:

:innocent:

I think she has been awarded " honorary Scottishness" on account that she's dead cool ..

Thank you DD :hug: :kiss:. I am totally not worthy. :blush:

From my experience of the Scottish dancers who have travelled south of the border, I would say there is a higher level of connection style and musicality in both the leaders and the followers. I don't know why? Maybe it's because more beginners and intermediates do workshops, instead of just dancing for the social scene. Some of them certainly seem to become very good dancers extremely quickly:worthy: . Yes I too have noticed the leg slidey thing...Mmmm love that.

Looking at the playlists in the DJ Booth, I think that on average more interesting music gets played in Scotland too. That must help a lot....

Well even if it doesn't help...it must be very nice :rolleyes: and I'm always feeling jealous when I read the Scottish playlists. :drool:

Roll on Blaze when I shall be checking it all out for myself.:clap:

ZW

As far as having Scottish blood goes - I am half way there. My dad is fiercely Scottish, lives on a hill in the borders, wearing a kilt on a Sundays and for SCD.

jacksondonut
12th-July-2006, 04:43 PM
Personally I think there a Scottish style

As for the leg slidey move - I thought that was just a Frank move as he's the only person I've danced with that's done that.

Bop

The only other person I know that does it, is Dave Hancock... he does it very, very well, trouble is, I feel I may end up on my knees.... not very elegant... :rofl: :rofl:

Great move though...:drool: :drool: :drool:

El Salsero Gringo
12th-July-2006, 07:51 PM
LOL if it's the move I'm thinking of - it's the one that makes the lady's knix disappear.... you know where I'm coming from girls!:DTeach me this move. Teach me this move - quickly.

Cruella
13th-July-2006, 12:34 PM

JiveP uses this move alot (He's from Northampton:D ) but he was the only guy i knew to do this, until last year. I had about 4 scots do it to me in one night, :rolleyes: so i now call it The Scottish Move.

Gadget
13th-July-2006, 12:45 PM
Franck sometimes teaches it as part of the whole "connection" thing and not having to lead simply with your hands. (I'm sure I learned it origionally in one of his workshops.)
BTW, the same move(ment) can be led with a good frame and responsive partner - it dosn't have to be led by sliding the feet.

I tend to do a reverse one as well; a bit harder since the leads foot starts on the outside (but it does mean that I'm not stuck for ten counts trying to work out which foot they are on in order to lead it properly :blush: )

Zebra Woman
13th-July-2006, 01:00 PM
Franck sometimes teaches it as part of the whole "connection" thing and not having to lead simply with your hands. (I'm sure I learned it origionally in one of his workshops.)
BTW, the same move(ment) can be led with a good frame and responsive partner - it dosn't have to be led by sliding the feet.

I tend to do a reverse one as well; a bit harder since the leads foot starts on the outside (but it does mean that I'm not stuck for ten counts trying to work out which foot they are on in order to lead it properly :blush: )

There is a variation of this move in the CerocCentral area.

The man swiftly sweeps away the lady's load bearing leg and she drops to the floor in a flash! :eek:

I found it hilarious, although it's also quite scary. Not for the fainthearted or unwarmed up that's for sure.

Crossa
13th-July-2006, 04:07 PM
JiveP uses this move alot (He's from Northampton:D ) but he was the only guy i knew to do this, until last year. I had about 4 scots do it to me in one night, :rolleyes: so i now call it The Scottish Move.

So what do you call the one where your inside leg is swept and ends up hooked over the leads thigh as he goes into a lunge and you give out a loud yelp of surprise?:eek: :grin:

Cruella
13th-July-2006, 04:14 PM
So what do you call the one where your inside leg is swept and ends up hooked over the leads thigh as he goes into a lunge and you give out a loud yelp of surprise?:eek: :grin:
Holy Sh*t! Was the name that sprung to mind at the time!:D

It's my puppies that yelp, not me. :blush: :innocent:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
14th-July-2006, 07:43 PM
Ok, so Scottish style has been discussed. But what is English style then? Or Welsh? ;)

robd
14th-July-2006, 07:49 PM
Re: lungy leg-slidey type move mentioned a number of times in this thread

Any chance of a step by step breakdown anyone to allow those of us South of the Border to inundate the ladies with it here cf: pivot turns (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246934&postcount=34)?

Gadget
14th-July-2006, 08:48 PM
No - it's our secret :wink:

{...oh, all right then...}
Close 'ballroom' or 'blues' type hold and transfer weight from one foot to the other, taking your partner with you.
When weight is on your left foot (follower's right) use your right foot against the inner of the follower's left foot to slide it side-ways into a lunge.
Transfer all the weight to the right foot and use the inside of your left foot against the outside of the follower's right foot to slide it up to meet as you both stand up. (this takes a whole count)
{This last bit is fairly important; it's what makes the move extra special:waycool:... and most folk ignore it, or the followers simply stand up and take the lead with them :rolleyes:}

Fairly simple, but it needs to be timed right.

Freya
14th-July-2006, 10:50 PM
:yeah: If I can lead it anyone can!!! Although not quite perfected it :rolleyes: yet!!!

Cruella
15th-July-2006, 03:56 PM
There is another version led from a sway. same thing but obviously it's the ladies right leg first.

jivecat
16th-July-2006, 08:58 AM
From my experience of the Scottish dancers who have travelled south of the border, I would say there is a higher level of connection style and musicality in both the leaders and the followers. I don't know why? Maybe it's because more beginners and intermediates do workshops, instead of just dancing for the social scene. May be it's something to do with having the inestimable resource of Frank as a teacher up there. Maybe connection actually gets taught from day one?

the leg slidey thing...Mmmm love that.
Yeah, me too. I assumed it was a move borrowed from tango, as tango leaders are always pushing my feet around (or trying to). Makes me nervous as usually, in MJ, any foot to foot contact is a mistake of some sort.

bigdjiver
16th-July-2006, 09:28 AM

Close 'ballroom' or 'blues' type hold and transfer weight from one foot to the other, taking your partner with you.
When weight is on your left foot (follower's right) use your right foot against the inner of the follower's left foot to slide it side-ways into a lunge.
Transfer all the weight to the right foot and use the inside of your left foot against the outside of the follower's right foot to slide it up to meet as you both stand up. (this takes a whole count)
{This last bit is fairly important; it's what makes the move extra special:waycool:... and most folk ignore it, or the followers simply stand up and take the lead with them :rolleyes:}

Fairly simple, but it needs to be timed right.If I have understood this right it sounds like a move that Michaela has taught a couple of times a few years back, as a "blues" move..

Dance Demon
17th-July-2006, 12:43 PM
If I have understood this right it sounds like a move that Michaela has taught a couple of times a few years back, as a "blues" move..

Yep...Nigel & Nina teach it too:waycool:

Yogi_Bear
20th-July-2006, 12:51 PM

Hmm, haven't come across that before, will have to try it....:eek: :D
Presumably the lead has to keep the left hand high...

Dorothy
20th-July-2006, 02:04 PM
I've had this one 'done' to me, if it's lead well it's a complete surprise and hard not to follow.

robd
24th-July-2006, 03:16 PM
Well, I tried to be an honorary Scot at Slinkys last night and lead this lunging leg slidey thing on some willing victims. No idea if it was the same move or if it was working as well as it should but it was great fun trying :D

David Bailey
24th-July-2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah, me too. I assumed it was a move borrowed from tango, as tango leaders are always pushing my feet around (or trying to). Makes me nervous as usually, in MJ, any foot to foot contact is a mistake of some sort.
It does sound barida-y ("sweep-y") - I dunno if there's a specific Tango step exactly like that, but a sidestep-sweep is pretty close from the description.