www.cerocni.com

Woohoo:clap: Somebody Celebrate with me!!!:cheers:

pjay
5th-July-2006, 12:59 AM
Ceroc NI is now officially on the net!

www.cerocni.com

yay, party time!!! :clap: :clap:

I must say though, I feel that there could be a little more that could be done with the website :nice:

drathzel
5th-July-2006, 01:01 AM
yay, party time!!! :clap: :clap:

I must say though, I feel that there could be a little more that could be done with the website :nice:

:yum: Its not completely finished anyway we still have a few bits to do to it!

Big thanks To IainL!!!! for basically doing the entire thing, my input was pretty much, "what do you think?" "Do what you think!":flower:

drathzel
5th-July-2006, 01:03 AM
Ah B*gger the menus arent coming up!

pjay
5th-July-2006, 01:06 AM
Ah B*gger the menus arent coming up!

Ahhh, that could explain my comment about being a bit more that could be done :)

drathzel
5th-July-2006, 01:07 AM
Ahhh, that could explain my comment about being a bit more that could be done :)

Yeah it was only after that i had a quick check! dont worry we are on it!:D

tomboh
5th-July-2006, 01:32 AM

www.cerocni.com

Congratulations! But forgive me for partying like it's 1995. When I registered my first domain name, I had to wait a month for someone to print out the domain name and manually enter it into the whole Internet thang.

Remembering how awkward it used to be makes me want to party and celebrate all the more. :cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
5th-July-2006, 08:13 AM

www.cerocni.com

Why a .com domain? Seems a pointless waste of money when you could have got a .co.uk or .org.uk

and at the moment I cant get to it :)

Freya
5th-July-2006, 08:17 AM
and at the moment I cant get to it :)
:yeah: Me neither!

Yliander
5th-July-2006, 09:12 AM
I would say very nice but all I can see is a the page can not be displayed error :tears:

And I like the .com domain :hug:

question why does the uk use .co.uk rather than .com.uk?

Dreadful Scathe
5th-July-2006, 09:26 AM
I would say very nice but all I can see is a the page can not be displayed error :tears:

And I like the .com domain :hug:

because .co.uk has been around longer and most expect it

drathzel
5th-July-2006, 09:27 AM
Yeah we have a slight glitch.

I picked .com for business reasons!

Yliander
5th-July-2006, 09:40 AM
because .co.uk has been around longer and most expect it I'm pretty sure that .com was around first

so was wondering why .co.uk was chosen rather than .com.uk? wasn't thinking it should be changed... but the co rather than com puzzles me being used to .com.au

pmjd
5th-July-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that .com was around first

so was wondering why .co.uk was chosen rather than .com.uk? wasn't thinking it should be changed... but the co rather than com puzzles me being used to .com.au

.com and .co.uk are very common but .com.uk is not commonly used in the uk. Maybe it's just that .co.uk is a little bit more distinctive to .com than .com.uk so there is less confusion:confused:

ducasi
5th-July-2006, 10:48 AM
I fear the wrath of drathzel for making another off-topic posting to one of her threads... But I'm going to risk it! :flower:

The "co.uk" domain was originally "uk.co", in the days when in the UK, names would go backwards – e.g. "uk.co.sun", and "uk.ac.gla". The internet ".com" style of name was probably invented at around the same time but independently. The UK didn't look to how the internet naming was done as it was on little consequence. (We're talking mid-80's here...)

When the UK and the US had to talk (to exchange email, for instance) the UK names would be reversed, so "uk.co.sun" would become "sun.co.uk", etc...

Eventually internet-style names took over, and so we're used to seeing "co.uk", etc...

As to why "co", and not "com", there's a couple of reasons... First "co" is the standard abbreviation for "company", and secondly, it is two letters – in the original UK naming scheme, two-letter names were special.

As other countries joined the internet, they typically copied the UK system (NZ, Japan, SA) or the US system (Australia, Signapore).

We also have this legacy to explain why we are "UK", when the "correct" country code for the UK is "gb" ("uk" should have been given to the Ukraine.) And if you think about that for a minute, it might also explain why Danielle chose ".com" for her domain. :)

Rhythm King
5th-July-2006, 11:01 AM
We also have this legacy to explain why we are "UK", when the "correct" country code for the UK is "gb" ("uk" should have been given to the Ukraine.) And if you think about that for a minute, it might also explain why Danielle chose ".com" for her domain. :)
Actually we are legally the UK. Our state is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain refers only to the mainland, i.e. Scotland, England and Wales. The UK includes Northern Ireland as well as the other islands. When the country bigrams were set up, Ukraine was not an independent state, but part of the USSR.

ducasi
5th-July-2006, 11:25 AM
Actually we are legally the UK. Our state is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain refers only to the mainland, i.e. Scotland, England and Wales. The UK includes Northern Ireland as well as the other islands. When the country bigrams were set up, Ukraine was not an independent state, but part of the USSR.
Doesn't change the fact that according to the ISO standard (ISO 3166-1) the United Kingdom's two-letter code is "GB". (That'll be why you see "GB" stickers on UK cars... :))

Even though the Ukraine wasn't an independent state before the break up of the USSR, they had their own seat in the U.N. General Assembly, and consequently their own ISO code. I'm not sure if they ever actually had the official country code "UK", but "Uk." is a recognised abbreviation for their country and "uk" is the official ISO-639-1 code for their language.

Yliander
5th-July-2006, 11:48 AM
well I can get to the site now :clap: but the menu doesn't work :tears: but so far what I can see looks good well done :cheers: :hug:

Dreadful Scathe
5th-July-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that .com was around first

It probably was (see ducasis explanation) but thats not what you asked, you asked why not .com.uk which is a completely different domain, its not even handled by the same organisation. :)

Yliander
5th-July-2006, 12:46 PM
It probably was (see ducasis explanation) but thats not what you asked, you asked why not .com.uk which is a completely different domain, its not even handled by the same organisation. :) I've never come across a .com.uk address

my exact question was

Thank you to ducasi for the informative answer:flower:

drathzel
5th-July-2006, 03:23 PM
i picked .com cuz i remember .com's easier than co.uk and if i see a such and such.co.uk and dont remember i will always try .com first.

It also makes your business look bigger and more global than .co.uk

N.B GRRRRR to Ducasi

Yliander
5th-July-2006, 03:30 PM
N.B GRRRRR to Ducasi wonders what Ducasi did to deserve that......

David Bailey
5th-July-2006, 03:35 PM
i picked .com cuz i remember .com's easier than co.uk and if i see a such and such.co.uk and dont remember i will always try .com first.
Why not have both, with a redirection set up? You still only have one, but people have two ways of finding it.

Also, I presume you're going to redirect the ceroc.com link to the new site? At the moment it's living at http://www.ceroclondon.com/ireland.htm, which seems, well, wrong in so many different ways :rofl:

It's never easy, this Web stuff is it? :innocent:

ducasi
5th-July-2006, 04:46 PM
wonders what Ducasi did to deserve that......
She just knows I like a feisty woman!

(Runs and hides!!!! :yum:)

drathzel
5th-July-2006, 05:18 PM
i do have both and a few others too, but not redirected yet, want to get the thing workin first!:D

(I will be able to find you!)

ducasi
5th-July-2006, 05:25 PM
(pops back in to say "congratulations" to Drathzel for passing the 5,000 posts mark! :worthy: :flower:

runs out again! :na:)

Lucy Locket
5th-July-2006, 05:27 PM
Well done:clap: :hug:

TheTramp
5th-July-2006, 11:28 PM
(pops back in to say "congratulations" to Drathzel for passing the 5,000 posts mark! :worthy: :flower:
Does that mean that she's got to take 3 months off from posting now?? :rolleyes:

drathzel
10th-July-2006, 06:56 PM
HI everyone! Its working now!

Also if anyone wants to email ceroc ni please email us at dance@cerocni.com

thankyou:hug:

David Bailey
10th-July-2006, 07:20 PM
HI everyone! Its working now!

Also if anyone wants to email ceroc ni please email us at dance@cerocni.com

thankyou:hug:
Flash... :rolleyes:

Like the photos though :)

Dallen
10th-July-2006, 07:43 PM
Looks good Danielle, Rome was never built in a day! It will take time to perfect the site, so keep on going!
Looking forward to the class in Bangor on Thursday.

drathzel
10th-July-2006, 08:44 PM
Its getting there, have some more plans for it. If anyone has any nice pictures of our venues or classes and dont mind them being put on the webiste, please forward them to me.

See you on thursday david!:clap:

Lynn
10th-July-2006, 08:52 PM
Its getting there, have some more plans for it. If anyone has any nice pictures of our venues or classes and dont mind them being put on the webiste, please forward them to me.Will see how mine of the class on Sat night look and send them on.

Lynn
10th-July-2006, 10:41 PM
Will see how mine of the class on Sat night look and send them on.Trying an attachment...

Dan Hudson
13th-July-2006, 11:34 AM
Its been confirmed...... i shall be paying a visit to NI this week (wed 19th):clap: :clap: :clap:

Lynn, am expecting a dance or two:flower: :drool:

looking forward to meeting all the regulars mad enough to put up with Danielle's continual talking:respect: :D :rofl: :rofl: (don't mean it babes:flower: )

I can't wait for a few dances with the local ladies:yum:

Lynn
13th-July-2006, 11:39 AM
Its been confirmed...... i shall be paying a visit to NI this week (wed 19th):clap: :clap: :clap:

Lynn, am expecting a dance or two:flower: :drool: :clap: :clap: :clap:

drathzel
13th-July-2006, 12:55 PM

looking forward to meeting all the regulars mad enough to put up with Danielle's continual talking:respect: :D :rofl: :rofl: (don't mean it babes:flower: )

watch it you!!! flights can be cancled, or at least demos....hmm i wonder what Russell is doing:D

spindr
13th-July-2006, 06:57 PM
Hmmm, needs a bit more testing -- the flash menus overlay most of the useful information when I use firefox (on SuSE Linux). If I block the flash bit, then there's no menus (or useful links to other pages).

You might care because without the links your site looks like this

Welcome to Ceroc

[officialsite.gif]
[header.gif]

Welcome to Ceroc

"Learn to dance in one night"
Yes, 1 night is all it takes to teach you a few basic moves to get you dancing; So don't put off, try one of our classes
this week.

[EMBED]
this will also affect things like search engines -- people using mobile devices, etc.

Being slightly picky -- it doesn't mention NI, and I'd use "one" rather than "1".

Cheers,
SpinDr

drathzel
13th-July-2006, 11:10 PM
Hmmm, needs a bit more testing -- the flash menus overlay most of the useful information when I use firefox (on SuSE Linux). If I block the flash bit, then there's no menus (or useful links to other pages).

You might care because without the links your site looks like this
this will also affect things like search engines -- people using mobile devices, etc.

Being slightly picky -- it doesn't mention NI, and I'd use "one" rather than "1".

Cheers,
SpinDr

Thats cool. Its only the bare bones we have some more work to do on it, you know more text, more pics editing the text we have!

Lynn
13th-July-2006, 11:18 PM
Being slightly picky -- it doesn't mention NI When I view it the site is cerocni and the strap line is 'the official site of Ceroc in Northern Ireland'. Not sure where else it needs to be mentioned?

ducasi
13th-July-2006, 11:28 PM
When I view it the site is cerocni and the strap line is 'the official site of Ceroc in Northern Ireland'. Not sure where else it needs to be mentioned?
That's an image, and as such, doesn't get seen by search engines. If it had "alt" text it would be better... ("Alt" text is shown by browsers that can't do images, or have showing images turned off.)

Lynn
14th-July-2006, 12:37 AM
That's an image, and as such, doesn't get seen by search engines. Ah right, I understand now. Though if you google Ceroc NI - the website is the 5th on the list. Ceroc Belfast still takes you to the Ceroclondon page (which makes a change as for the past few years it was usually one of my posts, which is now third on the list).

drathzel
14th-July-2006, 02:08 PM
Also if you search ceroc ni or ceroc bangor the first 4 items are all me anyway and then 5 is ceroc ni!

Not bad publicity:D

Lynn
14th-July-2006, 02:50 PM
Also if you search ceroc ni or ceroc bangor the first 4 items are all me anyway and then 5 is ceroc ni!

Not bad publicity:DPossibly, though I was the top 'hit' - via this forum, for Modern Jive or Ceroc and Belfast for years and as it didn't link straight to a site that had times of events on, I don't think it was much use in terms of anyone wanting details of what might be happening locally. Putting details on UK Jive however was helpful and several people found our freestyles that way.

When I first searched for MJ in Belfast or NI, I did track someone down (which led to someone else, which led to the start of a scene) but I had to spend a fair bit of time searching.

spindr
14th-July-2006, 03:03 PM

Not bad publicity:D
Could be because without the info' from the image your site might read as if it was *the* official Ceroc HQ site.

Welcome to Ceroc

SpinDr

Lynn
14th-July-2006, 03:43 PM
Could be because without the info' from the image your site might read as if it was *the* official Ceroc HQ site. No with 'ceroc ni' on google they are mostly forum hits - the first being Drathzel on this forum, the second was my MJ nights on UK Jive that are no longer run or listed but because they were there is a 'Modern Jive in NI' page (with no classes listed) and the next two are local dance forums. Then the Ceroc NI website. So anyone looking for Ceroc in NI would be able to find the site pretty easily.

drathzel
14th-July-2006, 08:02 PM
Spin dr quoted my website

The website is the bare bones and will have more "NI" referneces to it once it is fully up and running! I really cant believe that for the amount of times that i have said, its not finished its still being nit picked at!

I shall say it again

The reason the website is up and running as it is, is so that people looking for the classes can find them. The rest of the website will be sorted once my website operator has time to refresh it with the new information!

Maybe its the NI way of thinking Lynn but at least we can see the good of it!!!:clap:

Lynn
14th-July-2006, 08:11 PM
Maybe its the NI way of thinking Lynn but at least we can see the good of it!!!:clap::yeah: Yes its a WIP (and hopefully the progress will include any photos with me in them being somehow lost...:whistle: ) but it still functions as it needs to - anyone searching for Ceroc in NI will find it. They will have all the information about venues, class times, special events etc and can come along to a class. Regulars can also check updates and latest news.

spindr
14th-July-2006, 09:48 PM
Ok, I had a brief jaunt on the dark side: and the site looks great on WindowsXP in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera :)

However, on SuSE Linux9.3 the site only shows the header piccy (with no links and no text) -- it's the same in Firefox, Opera and Konqueror -- if I use the very very basic lynx browser, then I only see the text (no links).

It's probably because there is no Linux version of Macromedia Flash 8.

You may not care about a minority set of users -- but at least its worth knowing that there might be an issue. That was the only issue that I thought you might care to know about -- given that it might have some commercial impact for you.

SpinDr

Dan Hudson
20th-July-2006, 06:41 PM

Well , I went ...... it was superb... great night... make sure you pay Danielle a visit

Danielle... thanks for being a fantastic host... loved the new car btw.:awe: :hug: :kiss:

Lynn.. .thanks for the dances:drool: :flower:

thanks to all the locals...really friendly bunch.... :cheers: :flower:

Lynn
20th-July-2006, 11:49 PM
Well , I went ...... it was superb... great night... make sure you pay Danielle a visit Great to have another vistor! :clap: I really enjoyed last night (despite the heat!), it was a good night.

Lynn.. .thanks for the dances:drool: :flower: Likewise! :drool: :hug: