PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc Fulham

Yogi_Bear
4th-July-2006, 02:08 PM
I've swallowed the bait of a free Ceroc evening from Ceroc London and decided to go to Fulham Town Hall this Thursday - a first for me and well outside the normal sphere of operations. Anyone who will be there, you may (or may not) like to make yourself known.....

Cruella
4th-July-2006, 02:31 PM
I've only been there once, a couple of years ago. (Before i found the forum) I found it really cliquey,:whistle: i'd be interested to know if it still is.

robd
4th-July-2006, 02:32 PM
cliquey

The C word! 50p in the swear box please.

Jivingdan
4th-July-2006, 02:35 PM
I've only been there once, a couple of years ago. (Before i found the forum) I found it really cliquey,:whistle: i'd be interested to know if it still is.
I've only been once and I have to say I found it cliquey too. Some very good lady dancers though. Well the ones who found it acceptable to dance with little old me.

Twirly
4th-July-2006, 02:38 PM
I've been a couple of times - really like the venue, but can only go when I haven't got to get up on a Friday as it's a slog to get home. I didn't find it cliquey - at least no more so than any other London venue. But then, that is a bit what London venues are like IMO.

Had some great dances both times I went - hope you do too. :nice: Sadly, not with me this time, but maybe another... :clap:

David Bailey
4th-July-2006, 02:59 PM
I've never been either, but I'm just as happy to spread rumour and innuendo as the next forumite :)

It's a big venue, very popular and very crowded; usually quite a few women over, I've heard.

I've also heard that it's "advanced" / "cliquey". But it depends who you talk to of course - why, some misguided people might even call Jango cliquey :eek:

(Not me, I'd never do that :innocent: )

If you go, can you let us know what you think?

Yogi_Bear
4th-July-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks folks for the comments. Yes, unless the heat gets to me first I will be there on Thursday and I will try to post a review on Friday, maybe even with some photos :whistle:
Ian

Twirly
4th-July-2006, 03:14 PM
It's a big venue, very popular and very crowded; usually quite a few women over, I've heard.

Last time I went there were 9 spare men at the start of intermediates. We'd managed to whittle them down a bit by the end of the class though, to about 4 I think :devil:

Yogi_Bear
4th-July-2006, 03:16 PM
Last time I went there were 9 spare men at the start of intermediates. We'd managed to whittle them down a bit by the end of the class though, to about 4 I think :devil:
Whittle them down? What did you do to scare them off, I wonder? :eek: Should I be worried?

Twirly
4th-July-2006, 03:24 PM
Whittle them down? What did you do to scare them off, I wonder? :eek: Should I be worried?

:rofl:

Is there a Bermuda triangle in Fulham town hall?! You should be worried, very worried... but I won't be there so there's nothing to fear... :whistle:

Those latecomers - you think there's a huge surplus of men and you're going to get to dance all night and be in great demand and then they come in and snap them up...

drathzel
4th-July-2006, 08:45 PM
I have been to fulham a couple of times and i really enjoyed it, i didnt notice any cliquey-ness but then again i just got up and danced with anyone in arms reach!!

Missy D
5th-July-2006, 08:27 AM
Fulham - not been there for a while but the last time i went there I found:-

Good dancers and 'hotshots' near the stage. Floor a little slippy. Good music but crowded. At the end of the evening a few go to a local pub which was nice. I used to get someone to walk me to the car too as I found a few dodgy people hang around the streets at night.

It may be different now.

Yogi_Bear
5th-July-2006, 08:31 AM
Fulham - not been there for a while but the last time i went there I found:-

Good dancers and 'hotshots' near the stage. Floor a little slippy. Good music but crowded. At the end of the evening a few go to a local pub which was nice. I used to get someone to walk me to the car too as I found a few dodgy people hang around the streets at night.

It may be different now.
Thanks - looks like I am in for an interesting evening, and I'll put in a review on Friday! Will try out the hotshots too. Won't be able to stay till after 9.45ish unless I come back on the very last train :( but as compensation I'll probably do both of the classes just for a change :rolleyes:
Ian

Missy D
5th-July-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks - looks like I am in for an interesting evening, and I'll put in a review on Friday! Will try out the hotshots too. Won't be able to stay till after 9.45ish unless I come back on the very last train :( but as compensation I'll probably do both of the classes just for a change :rolleyes:
Ian

Hotshots used to arrive around 9.45 - 10.00. Look forward to reading your review.:flower:

stewart38
5th-July-2006, 09:57 AM
Ill probably be there, been going recently . I think its much better then it use to be sometimes men over but usually more women in free style

Don’t get refused often

SilverFox
5th-July-2006, 10:03 AM
I used to get someone to walk me to the car too as I found a few dodgy people hang around the streets at night.I stopped going a few months ago.....

Lucy Locket
5th-July-2006, 11:04 AM
I stopped going a few months ago.....

The streets are safe again :wink:

Paul F
5th-July-2006, 01:21 PM
Decent venue Fulham.
Played ok music last time I was there.

I did get refused a dance though :sad:

Yogi_Bear
5th-July-2006, 01:42 PM
Decent venue Fulham.

I'm kind of expecting that, what with all the talk of cliques and hot shots...

robd
5th-July-2006, 01:43 PM

Paul F? Refused a dance? Same sentence? Cannot compute.

Cruella
5th-July-2006, 01:46 PM
Paul F? Refused a dance?
I have well paid friends everywhere :wink:

littlewiggle
5th-July-2006, 01:52 PM
Decent venue Fulham.

Their loss Paul.....from what I hear :flower:

Paul F
5th-July-2006, 02:24 PM
At the time I was a bit annoyed more than anything as I would only ever refuse if I had a physical reason to do so - and I would always explain. I asked and she just said "No" and smiled a half smile.

Later on she came and asked me for a dance. I duly obliged and commenced dancing 16 of the core ceroc beginner moves in rotation :nice:

She never asked me again :)

Lee
5th-July-2006, 02:33 PM
I went for the first time last week and had a really good time, great dance floor, good level of dancers, and a great (female DJ) covering for Erick who played some wicked tunes.

I hope to go this week.....

Lee

Paul F
5th-July-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm kind of expecting that, what with all the talk of cliques and hot shots...

I wouldnt let isolated events cloud your judgement. Although I may have certain opinions on some venues (not particularly Fulham) I would still advise people to try it.
"One mans meat is another mans poison" as they say.

stewart38
5th-July-2006, 03:10 PM
!!! CANCELLATION !!!
THU 06 JUL
Fulham Town Hall
Advanced Classes with Marc Forster & Rachel Pears
is cancelled due to Big Dance Rehearsal.

:tears: :tears:

David Bailey
5th-July-2006, 03:23 PM
Paul F? Refused a dance? Same sentence? Cannot compute.
:yeah: - blimey, I'd better not go then :eek:

At the time I was a bit annoyed more than anything as I would only ever refuse if I had a physical reason to do so - and I would always explain. I asked and she just said "No" and smiled a half smile.

Later on she came and asked me for a dance. I duly obliged and commenced dancing 16 of the core ceroc beginner moves in rotation :nice:

She never asked me again :)
:respect: - you should enter the Ceroc X comp, I wouldn't have a clue what the core Ceroc moves are :confused:

Paul F
5th-July-2006, 03:33 PM
:respect: - you should enter the Ceroc X comp, I wouldn't have a clue what the core Ceroc moves are :confused:

After you have taught them over and over it kind of sticks :grin: :rolleyes:

David Bailey
5th-July-2006, 03:36 PM
After you have taught them over and over it kind of sticks :grin: :rolleyes:
Cor, you should be a Ceroc teacher then, I hear they're Really Good Dancers :na:

Missy D
6th-July-2006, 09:13 AM
Well as there is no Fulham tonight that leaves Bow, Bromley and Muswell Hill. I am going to Muswell Hill tonight as its so close to where I live.:clap:

Lee
6th-July-2006, 09:15 AM
it only said the advanced was cancelled the intermediate and freestyle will be on, it's still worth going.

Lee

Missy D
6th-July-2006, 09:17 AM
it only said the advanced was cancelled the intermediate and freestyle will be on, it's still worth going.

Lee

Ooops maybe I read my email wrongly:blush:

Yogi_Bear
7th-July-2006, 11:08 PM
Fulham Town Hall last night. What was it like?

Arrived for the beginner class at 7.30 to make the ,ost of my free evening. Six punters waiting round the edge, loud thumpy music playing, no sign of a teacher. Time to admire the ornate decorations, the high ceilings, the chandeliers. Class kicks off at 7.40 with Gary - 5 couples and two spare women. Is this sort of quiet beginer class normal for London, I wonder? After a while I join in to balance the numbers; class finishes at 8.20 having grown to 20 couples and three spare men. Music suitable for beginners.

Intermediate class gets under way at 8.35 with 12 couples and 12 men over. I sit this one out, especially as the moves are not to my liking - double handed turns, lots of contorting of arms, more double turns and an ear tickle thing.

Now things are happening. Some good dancers and familiar faces (including Forumites) start to show up towards the end of the class and by 9.05 when the freestyle starts and the lights go down there is quite abuzz to the place. The music suddenly gets more interesting. I have a couple of reasonable dances. The floor is OK if a bit slippery.

Time to go at 9.40. A dash across London by tube but still not back in Norwich till approaching 2am. I couldn't face the prospect of getting back at 3am. What did I think? Probably a fairly typical example of the Ceroc teaching model. All arms and no mention of footwork or much else. Not to my taste.A slow start but swinging by 9.00 and music looking up.......

I would say a pretty good place to go to at around 9.00 for a good two hours of freestyle. Clearly a wide range of dance ability. No refusals and one really good sultry dance (blonde, black dress, near back left of the hall, you know who you are :nice: ). One or two hotsahots, maybe, but I didn't get to test the cliquey elements fully....maybe another time. :eek:

David Bailey
8th-July-2006, 01:43 PM
Class kicks off at 7.40 with Gary - 5 couples and two spare women. Is this sort of quiet beginer class normal for London, I wonder?
None that I've been to - that's very weird, considering how popular the venue is overall...

Intermediate class gets under way at 8.35 with 12 couples and 12 men over.
:what: That's also a little weird... OK, it's summer and all, but the numbers at the classes seem very low. There were more people than that at the class in Muswell Hill on Thursday, and that venue's only just started.

It sounds like it's nearly a "freestyle only" night. Maybe that affects the atmosphere for the freestyle? - it's usually easier to mingle with someone you've just been dancing with in a class, I think.

I'm intrigued now, I may give it a visit sometime in August (on hols for the next 2 weeks).

El Salsero Gringo
8th-July-2006, 01:59 PM
None that I've been to - that's very weird, considering how popular the venue is overall...

:what: That's also a little weird... OK, it's summer and all, but the numbers at the classes seem very low. There were more people than that at the class in Muswell Hill on Thursday, and that venue's only just started.

It sounds like it's nearly a "freestyle only" night. Maybe that affects the atmosphere for the freestyle? - it's usually easier to mingle with someone you've just been dancing with in a class, I think.

I'm intrigued now, I may give it a visit sometime in August (on hols for the next 2 weeks).I think it might have been the unfortunately worded email from Ceroc HQ which appeared to suggest that Fulham was cancelled.

jockey
9th-July-2006, 09:03 PM
Used to travel up every Thursday from Brighton when Mick W. and Hannah taught there (couple years back); brilliant then, but crowded. Lots of Australians dance there when they are over. You can dance with someone youve never seen before and they are excellent..
nowadays dont know but where Im working at the mo (Fleet) there is a pretty good night without travel..

Lee
10th-July-2006, 01:27 PM
There are also a lot of people turning up at Fulham but going upstairs to the Big Dance practice, most of these are good dancers.

I'm gonna try to get there this week as i missed it last week.

Nice pic of the blonde lady :wink: :whistle:

Lee

Yogi_Bear
10th-July-2006, 02:32 PM
There are also a lot of people turning up at Fulham but going upstairs to the Big Dance practice, most of these are good dancers.

I'm gonna try to get there this week as i missed it last week.

Nice pic of the blonde lady :wink: :whistle:

Lee
not the same blonde :whistle:
met at least one Australian....
may post more pix later
(just a quick message from me, in an internet cafe in the Outer Hebrides):clap:

Missy D
28th-July-2006, 08:35 AM
I went to Fulham last night and had a great time. I cant remember when I went there last but must have been some time as there is now a shopping precinct opposite and the loos have been refurbished:clap:

The music was ok and I danced to nearly everytrack and refusal row has now gone:clap:

There were some great dancers although far too many pretty woman.

Saw a few forumites but didnt get to chat to them all:-

Silverfox, Roger C, Cee Cee, Geordieed, Howard, Underpar, David James and my biggest suprise of the night Franck wow what a fab dancer:clap:

I will definately be going there again when I get back from my holidays:clap:

Lee
28th-July-2006, 09:49 AM
I've been to Fulham twice now and I love it (not as much as Wessex House in Clapham Junction) but it my 2nd choice now. :worthy:

Lee
I'm blonde, what's your excuse?
Copyright ‘LMC’

David Bailey
28th-July-2006, 10:09 AM
I went to Fulham last night and had a great time.
I went too - but I didn't enjoy it much.

It's a nice venue, with a lot of good dancers, some of whom I haven't seen for years, and it didn't seem too intimidating / predatory (although there was a bit of that going on I think). But the music... well, it just didn't work for me, it was standard thump-thump stuff, lots of fast-tempo things.

And what made it worse was that the standard of dancing was good enough to (IMO) welcome some more challenging music, but it wasn't provided :sad:

I think I'm now getting to be a Music Snob - if the music is right, I'll put up with anything, but if it's not, it doesn't matter where I am or who I'm dancing with. I really wanted some nice slower tunes, and they were very few and far between.

It's sad to say, but at the moment, the only regular MJ venue I know will provide consistently good music is Berko on Sundays - between Ian and Marc, there's never going to be a track I won't want to dance to. I don't know of any other weekly MJ event I can say that about, alas...

("Good music" = "music I like", of course, it's all subjective :grin: )

Oh, and happy birthday to Mrs LatinLover :clap:

Lee
28th-July-2006, 10:11 AM
I went too - but I didn't enjoy it much.

It's a nice venue, with a lot of good dancers, some of whom I haven't seen for years, and it didn't seem too intimidating / predatory (although there was a bit of that going on I think). But the music... well, it just didn't work for me, it was standard thump-thump stuff, lots of fast-tempo things.

And what made it worse was that the standard of dancing was good enough to (IMO) welcome some more challenging music, but it wasn't provided :sad:

I think I'm now getting to be a Music Snob - if the music is right, I'll put up with anything, but if it's not, it doesn't matter where I am or who I'm dancing with. I really wanted some nice slower tunes, and they were very few and far between.

It's sad to say, but at the moment, the only regular MJ venue I know will provide consistently good music is Berko on Sundays - between Ian and Marc, there's never going to be a track I won't want to dance to. I don't know of any other weekly MJ event I can say that about, alas...

("Good music" = "music I like", of course, it's all subjective :grin: )

Oh, and happy birthday to Mrs LatinLover :clap:

Did you ask the DJ for a change in the music?

David Bailey
28th-July-2006, 10:19 AM
Did you ask the DJ for a change in the music?
No point - I've asked him before when he's done this type of thing (at Ashtons a couple of weeks ago), as did several other people that night, and he just grinned and carried on regardless.

Lee
28th-July-2006, 10:21 AM
No point - I've asked him before when he's done this type of thing (at Ashtons a couple of weeks ago), as did several other people that night, and he just grinned and carried on regardless.

LOL :rofl: :rofl:

Who was it?

Lee

David Bailey
28th-July-2006, 10:27 AM
Who was it?
I wouldn't dare mention his name...*cough* Erick *cough* :innocent:

Lee
28th-July-2006, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't dare mention his name...*cough* Erick *cough* :innocent:

:rofl: :rofl:

Ah, you have to know the magic word (when asking for a song) :whistle:

Lee

David Bailey
28th-July-2006, 10:39 AM
Ah, you have to know the magic word (when asking for a song) :whistle:
Is the magic word "Play one more fast track and you are a dead man"? (OK, that's 11 magic words)

Seriously. there's a difference between requesting a change of theme and requesting a track.

Lee
28th-July-2006, 10:46 AM
Is the magic word "Play one more fast track and you are a dead man"? (OK, that's 11 magic words)

Seriously. there's a difference between requesting a change of theme and requesting a track.

He played some wicked tunes with different 'themes' on Wed (Wessex House), maybe Fulham just aren't ready for them yet. :wink:

Lee
COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I'm blonde, what's your excuse? [/COLOR]
Copyright ‘LMC’

latinlover
28th-July-2006, 10:52 AM
I went to Fulham last night and had a great time. .........................

Silverfox, Roger C, Cee Cee, Geordieed, Howard, Underpar, David James and my biggest suprise of the night Franck wow what a fab dancer:clap:

:

:clap: I went to Fulham last night for the first time ever and had an excellent night.
My first dance (complete stranger,and she asked me!) was a stunner, so thank you,whoever you are:flower:
I had some great dances to some fab tracks Cheers Erik. I won't mention any names for fear of missing someone out - although clearly my dance with Missy D was memorable for only one of us.................:rofl:
Unfortunately this was a one-off for us as it was Susan's Birthday and we paid for a babysitter (who wants to go to the theatre or just for a meal?).

Anyway , I know it's not fashionable on this forum to praise the mighty Ceroc Inc establishment, (but I've never followed fashion ,as my children often remind me!) but Susan had a great birthday night out so well done Erik & Ceroc London :cheers:

Twirly
28th-July-2006, 11:14 AM
He played some wicked tunes with different 'themes' on Wed (Wessex House), maybe Fulham just aren't ready for them yet. :wink:

Lee

Interesting, I thought the music at WH was better than usual too. Bit more variety.:nice:

Lee
28th-July-2006, 09:28 PM
Interesting, I thought the music at WH was better than usual too. Bit more variety.:nice:

Better than usual!!!!!!

I'll have you know, Erick & max (DJs) play great music every Wed :flower: but the last Wed was an exceptionally good night :clap: and I thought the intermediate class was excellent :respect: and the demo was fab :innocent:

frodo
28th-July-2006, 10:51 PM
...It's sad to say, but at the moment, the only regular MJ venue I know will provide consistently good music is Berko on Sundays - between Ian and Marc, 'there's never going to be a track I won't want to dance to. I don't know of any other weekly MJ event I can say that about, alas...
Sad ?? , that seems incredible to say for any modern jive venue.

under par
29th-July-2006, 09:57 PM

clap:

I agree it was a pleasant suprise to th "man 'imself " Franck at Fulham.
Cheers for the drink mate. I owe you one!

Unfortunately I have to agree with DJ and several others I spoke with on the night the music was just far too fast and "thump thump".

Mrs Par really enjoys going to Fulham 'cos there is loads of really good leads there but I personally would rather not go too often cos I really found the music far too fast.
On hot summer nights and with so many good leads who are more than capable of dancing to lots of challenging more tracks ought to have that opportunity.

Nice venue, great dancers .. music spoiled it.. could be a really great night out with more adventurous slower more challenging music mixed in with the "thump thump".

Seahorse
30th-July-2006, 12:16 AM
I agree it was a pleasant suprise to th "man 'imself " Franck at Fulham.
And can he move!!!! :respect: smooth or what!

I thought it was a really enjoyable night - knew something was up when I saw Mr Underpar and Franck sitting together, then MrsUP, followed by the man himself - SF. I thought it one of the better dance nights relative to others in central london despite the heat which in the past has been crippling (try a Putney freestyle if you fancy losing a few kilos!!!).

The class was interesting (Gary)... freestyle wasn't busy with plenty of space to play at the back of the room... and so find several of those special partners who leave us all tingling with excitement :flower:

more again next week please!!!!!

Trousers
30th-July-2006, 12:33 AM
Maybe it's the male menopause for me but thursday last at Fulahm was *****.

V Nice dance withe MrsPar but then I couldn't cool down.
stood infront of a fan but to no avail
felt **** so left.

Oh well maybe its time to buy a flat in Margate?

Twirly
1st-August-2006, 01:56 PM
Better than usual!!!!!!

I'll have you know, Erick & max (DJs) play great music every Wed :flower: but the last Wed was an exceptionally good night :clap: and I thought the intermediate class was excellent :respect: and the demo was fab :innocent:

Did I say it was usually bad?!!! :eek: Let me rephrase then - even better than the usually great music with even more variety than usual. Happy?!! :nice:

And ditto last night at the Grand. Mind you, I probably shouldn't say this, but what has happened to all the women in south London? I've been to three classes since coming back from holiday - WH last week, Chimes and the Grand last night, and all of them have had a huge excess of men. 14 in intermediates last night. I'm not exactly complaining, but it is very odd. Has this been happening at other venues elsewhere? (and sorry for going somewhat off-thread). :confused:

stewart38
22nd-November-2006, 12:31 PM
Me and WB are hitting this place again tomorrow and eating before hand

PM , WB or me if you want details :grin:

Spin dryer
22nd-November-2006, 11:19 PM
Fulham on Thursday is by far the best and most popular venue in London, if not the UK. The standard of dancing is higher than at any other weekly venue, the music is generally good and the floor is decent. For many people, including me, the 2 hours of freestyle from 9 until 11 is where the weekend starts.

Don't bother with the lessons; the teachers seem to change every week and numbers are sparse until the freestyle starts.

El Metro tapas bar round the corner from the venue is where most dancers go for a drink afterwards.

Double Trouble
22nd-November-2006, 11:27 PM
Fulham on Thursday is by far the best and most popular venue in London, if not the UK. The standard of dancing is higher than at any other weekly venue, the music is generally good and the floor is decent. For many people, including me, the 2 hours of freestyle from 9 until 11 is where the weekend starts.

Don't bother with the lessons; the teachers seem to change every week and numbers are sparse until the freestyle starts.

El Metro tapas bar round the corner from the venue is where most dancers go for a drink afterwards.

Rubbish. It's great for you because it's your local and you know everyone. Outsiders get treated like the two American guys on 'American Werewolf in London' when they go in the pub......stick to the roads guys and just keep walking.:D

Gav
22nd-November-2006, 11:34 PM
Rubbish. It's great for you because it's your local and you know everyone. Outsiders get treated like the two American guys on 'American Werewolf in London' when they go in the pub......stick to the roads guys and just keep walking.:D

Maybe you have to howl at the moon and crawl around on all fours to be accepted into the clique? :whistle:

David Bailey
22nd-November-2006, 11:37 PM
Fulham on Thursday is by far the best and most popular venue in London, if not the UK. The standard of dancing is higher than at any other weekly venue, the music is generally good and the floor is decent.
Strong stuff. How could anyone possibly stay away? :innocent:

When I went, it was OK - music a bit below-par (too thump-thumpy and fast), a bit crowded, a bit snooty, but the standard of dancers was reasonable. Pain to park, pain to get to. Floor was OK though, and it was busy.

Hmmm, possibly I went to a different Fulham - are there two? :whistle:

As for dancing, I think the highest standard of dancing - and I say this as an avowed cake-avoider - anywhere in London is at Monday Meltdown.

Spin dryer
22nd-November-2006, 11:44 PM
Hmmm, possibly I went to a different Fulham - are there two? :whistle:

Yes, there are two! There's the "deep end" by the stage, where the standard is very high, and then there's the "shallow end", where you'll meet people of varying standards. As someone commented in an earlier post, there isn't a refusal row anymore (unless you count me!!).

Double Trouble
22nd-November-2006, 11:48 PM
Yes, there are two! There's the "deep end" by the stage, where the standard is very high, and then there's the "shallow end", where you'll meet people of varying standards. As someone commented in an earlier post, there isn't a refusal row anymore (unless you count me!!).

You're coming across really well Mark. Keep it up, I could do with a laugh :rofl:

David Bailey
22nd-November-2006, 11:54 PM
Yes, there are two! There's the "deep end" by the stage, where the standard is very high, and then there's the "shallow end", where you'll meet people of varying standards.
Ah, that must have been my mistake.

I was stuck in the shallow end, with Mr and Mrs LatinLover, Franck, Under Par and a few others. I should have ditched those loser beginners, and gone to where the Good Dancers hung out.

Duh.

Spin dryer
22nd-November-2006, 11:54 PM
The simple truth is that it is the best attended modern jive night in London, with maybe 300 people per week. The numbers speak for themselves. It may seem unfriendly to newcomers, but that is merely a function of the fact that the majority of us there have known each other for many years.

Spin dryer
22nd-November-2006, 11:58 PM
I was stuck in the shallow end, with Mr and Mrs LatinLover, Franck, Under Par and a few others. I should have ditched those loser beginners, and gone to where the Good Dancers hung out.

Duh.

You do sometimes find gems at the shallow end!

robd
23rd-November-2006, 12:15 AM
The standard of dancing is higher than at any other weekly venue,

Why do I think that only a londoner would make such a statement :rolleyes:

WittyBird
23rd-November-2006, 12:18 AM

Easy tiger :whistle:

Spin dryer
23rd-November-2006, 12:45 AM

I'm a Mancunian!

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 01:48 AM

Or how many weekly venues he's tried, before he makes a statement like that....

David Bailey
23rd-November-2006, 08:54 AM
The simple truth is that it is the best attended modern jive night in London, with maybe 300 people per week. The numbers speak for themselves. It may seem unfriendly to newcomers, but that is merely a function of the fact that the majority of us there have known each other for many years.
I've no dispute that it's a busy and popular venue. And there are indeed great dancers there - for example, I had a couple of good dances with Maria, who used to demo with Mike at the Central Club, years back.

But numbers really don't indicate quality, unless you're going to say that Fulham is, ooh, 8 times better than Monday Meltdown? :devil:

Hey, come on - there's 7 million of us, there's bound to be the occasional foolish statement by someone.

Miguel
23rd-November-2006, 09:26 AM
Rubbish. It's great for you because it's your local and you know everyone.

I've have to agree with Spin dryer, Fulham is a great venue. IMHO, even better than Hammersmith. Sure, people can appear to be unfriendly but that's just a reflection of London life. They will smile if you say "hello".

Did you go to the beginners, intermediate or advanced class? A great way of meeting the locals. How many men did you ask to dance? When one goes to a (strange/new) venue, go with the attitude of giving rather than taking, then you'll have a great time.

BTW, I'm a shallow end dancer and a Londoner.

Beowulf
23rd-November-2006, 09:34 AM
I went to Fulham when I was down visiting Twirly, I was a complete stranger there, and I'm certainly not hotshot material. But I have to say I found the place to be very accessable, yes the floor was busy and a little crowded but I never got turned down for a dance once.. I thought it was a good venue.

Outsiders get treated like the two American guys on 'American Werewolf in London'

Funny you should say that.. It was the first dancing I had on my "Aberdonian Beowulf in London" tour after all ;)

I thought it was friendly, music was fine , played some good tunes I knew and some great ones I didn't. I liked it and would go back again with no hesitations.

They will smile if you say "hello".

And they'll even ask you what part of Ireland you come from*.. or get into a conversation about Oil workers and give you their entire life story while dancing with you..

*I don't by the way.. but I have been told I sound Irish at times :)

David Bailey
23rd-November-2006, 09:36 AM
I've have to agree with Spin dryer, Fulham is a great venue. IMHO, even better than Hammersmith.
:rofl:
OK, fair enough, I'll grant that Fulham is better than Hammersmith. :whistle:

Sure, people can appear to be unfriendly but that's just a reflection of London life.
Sorry, but that's rubbish.

I've been to loads of London venues, and I've never encountered a common "London unfriendliness" factor - some venues are just friendlier than others. ISH was (last time I went) very friendly, as is (I believe) Hippodrome - and you can't get much more London-y than those two.

If a venue's got a rep for being unfriendly (e.g. Bromley), maybe there's a reason for it?

I do like the "shallow end dancer" thing though :)

Gav
23rd-November-2006, 09:39 AM
I've have to agree with Spin dryer, Fulham is a great venue. IMHO, even better than Hammersmith. Sure, people can appear to be unfriendly but that's just a reflection of London life. They will smile if you say "hello".

Did you go to the beginners, intermediate or advanced class? A great way of meeting the locals. How many men did you ask to dance? When one goes to a (strange/new) venue, go with the attitude of giving rather than taking, then you'll have a great time.

BTW, I'm a shallow end dancer and a Londoner.

I wasn't aware that there was a shallow end or deep end at any venues I've been to?

Oh the shame! What a social faux pas! Imagine silly me just dancing wherever I find someone nice to dance with and where there happens to be space! :o :rofl:

BTW, totally agree with your second paragraph, however, I've seen the "unfriendly" look at non-london venues and I know plenty of Londoners that are perfectly friendly towards newcomers. It really is just down to the individuals.

Gav
23rd-November-2006, 09:43 AM
Sure, people can appear to be unfriendly but that's just a reflection of London life. They will smile if you say "hello".

Sorry, but that's rubbish.

I've been to loads of London venues, and I've never encountered a common "London unfriendliness" factor - some venues are just friendlier than others. ISH was (last time I went) very friendly, as is (I believe) Hippodrome - and you can't get much more London-y than those two.

If a venue's got a rep for being unfriendly (e.g. Bromley), maybe there's a reason for it?

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

If people are unfriendly it's the people that are wholly to blame not the location. That's a poor excuse for bad behaviour.

Whether they appear unfriendly because they're shy, cliquey or just arrogant is a different matter!

Sparkles
23rd-November-2006, 11:01 AM
When I went, it was OK - music a bit too thump-thumpy and fast, a bit crowded, but the standard of dancers was reasonable. Pain to park, pain to get to. Floor was OK though, and it was busy.

:yeah:
I've been there a few times but it just didn't give me the "buzz" that I get at some other venues - maybe because I didn't know many people there and each time I went I had a few bad dances.
It certainly must have something though because there were SO many people there :eek: and there were some lovely leaders if you could fight through the crowds and the hoards of women to get to them - it was a bit stressful in fact constantly thinking 'If I don't run and grab him I'll never get a dance!' :(

stewart38
23rd-November-2006, 12:09 PM
I've been there a few times but it just didn't give me the "buzz" that I get at some other venues - maybe because I didn't know many people there and each time I went I had a few bad dances.
It certainly must have something though because there were SO many people there :eek: and there were some lovely leaders if you could fight through the crowds and the hoards of women to get to them - it was a bit stressful in fact constantly thinking 'If I don't run and grab him I'll never get a dance!' :(

Have been going to ceroc Fulham on and off for years and years , use to be a shilling to get in

In my opinion it has got better in the last year despite the fast turnover of teachers

It was the place that stop my sister going dancing a couple of years back as she got grope a couple of times but now has gone back to it with two friends and loves it, maybe the gropers have gone or time hasn’t been kind to her ?

It was a place where a newbie I took got thrown all over the place by a Taxi dancer

It was also the place I took a female friend who doesn’t ask men to dance period, so yes it was cliquey for her (and she wasn’t wearing a nurses PVC dress) so she wasn’t asked much, if at all. She did sit near the deep end and that analogy is good

I don’t go regularly as it’s a pain to get home for me

Windsor has about 300+ dancers but the standard of dancers here is generally much better in my humble opinion

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 12:14 PM
Fulham was the place I first started dancing.

Have always enjoyed it. Even though it's usually way too crowded!

Wonder how many of the people that I used to dance with still go there...

Twirly
23rd-November-2006, 12:25 PM
I went to Fulham when I was down visiting Twirly, I was a complete stranger there, and I'm certainly not hotshot material. But I have to say I found the place to be very accessable, yes the floor was busy and a little crowded but I never got turned down for a dance once.. I thought it was a good venue.

The night we went did seem more friendly than other times I've been. And we did stick to paddling in the shallow end mainly (though I did get thrown into the deep end when I ventured down there looking for forumites :rolleyes: )

Don't forget that how you see a venue can also be a reflection of yourself. I went there one night feeling a little shy and was struggling a bit as it felt like a party where everyone knew everyone else and I wasn't getting asked to dance - and due to how I was feeling, I was struggling to ask strangers (am better at that now). Yet the night I went with Beo (the only time I haven't gone there on my own), it felt friendly and I got asked to dance lots (don't think I asked for a single dance except for Beo and FirstMove).

David Bailey
23rd-November-2006, 12:30 PM
Don't forget that how you see a venue can also be a reflection of yourself. I went there one night feeling a little shy and was struggling a bit as it felt like a party where everyone knew everyone else and I wasn't getting asked to dance - and due to how I was feeling, I was struggling to ask strangers (am better at that now).
I understand what you're saying, but I don't really think I project "shy" vibes :rofl:

Don't get me wrong - I didn't hate the place - I had a good night, all in all.

But I certainly wouldn't class it as "far and away the best Ceroc venue in the universe" or whatever.

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 12:37 PM
Yet the night I went with Beo (the only time I haven't gone there on my own), it felt friendly and I got asked to dance lots (don't think I asked for a single dance except for Beo and FirstMove).

So, what you're saying here, is that everyone else asked you, except for Beo (and FM).

How rude of him!! :whistle:

Twirly
23rd-November-2006, 12:38 PM
:rofl: Despite not having met you as yet, I can't imagine that you'd be shy either. I was just trying to illustrate how we perceive things through our own filters and that affects our opinions - so one night I was shy and struggled, another I wasn't and had a good time. So what would your filter be?

So is Monday Meltdown your best venue - or somewhere else? And presumably that will change over time?

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 12:40 PM
So is Monday Meltdown your best venue

You're talking to DavidJames?

And you suggest this?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Twirly
23rd-November-2006, 12:40 PM
So, what you're saying here, is that everyone else asked you, except for Beo (and FM).

How rude of him!! :whistle:

Stop stirring Mr Trampy!!! Or I'll be giving you a wooden spoon on the forum Christmas presents thread... :rolleyes:

I thought that I'd ask them to return the compliment after they'd asked me time!

David Bailey
23rd-November-2006, 12:44 PM
So what would your filter be?
Intense and persistent cynicism, I reckon.

So is Monday Meltdown your best venue
Dunno, never been :)

- or somewhere else? And presumably that will change over time?
I don't have a "best" venue, it varies.

Where's the best regular venue? At the moment, I'd vote for Berko on Sunday nights. Good dancers, great DJs, good floor.

Hmmm, there's a thread about this somewhere, isn't there?

David Bailey
23rd-November-2006, 12:45 PM

And you suggest this?
Moi? :innocent:

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 12:47 PM
Moi? :innocent:

Uh huh. Personally, I think that you should go once. Just so that you can say that you've been.

And to get the complimentary wristband!

Twirly
23rd-November-2006, 12:49 PM

And you suggest this?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well I don't know - never met the guy and despite the time I spend on here, I don't keep a list of everyone's favourite venues... :rolleyes: Have you got it in for me today Trampy?!!

Berko's not London though... :(

David Bailey
23rd-November-2006, 12:49 PM
And to get the complimentary wristband!
That's the one that says "You're great!" is it?

mikeyr
23rd-November-2006, 12:50 PM

I find I have disagree with the both of you, it is IMHO just alright!

Firstly I feel it important to establish my credentials. I am a Londoner and that I generally get around a bit (different venues ):D

This is of course, a personal opinion and related to the freestyle (they do classes :what: )

The Music: It all depends on what you like, I like Latin, swing/blues, music with pauses, breaks and attitude. Not a big fan of Thump ,thump disco remixes. I know both of the main Dj's from other venues around London and know that the music reflects the floor. Fulham attendees prefer Thump stuff.

The Venue: Better than some, not as good as others. A rectangular hall (deep end by the satage ) with seats around the edge, its all dance floor which means people are walking where others are dancing. The floor is fast & spinny(?) which suits me. there is a place to buy drinks at the usual prices.

Standard of Dancing: How can I comment here, Fulham does get crowded, with good dancers, I am not so sure. There is usually a good selection of fine lady dancers but it varies week to week. Not everyone is regular:what: Where I feel the standard falls sharply is with my fellow man. The floorcraft at Fulham is terrible, when space is limited one needs to reflect that in ones dancing.

Not so at Fulham, its seems "de rigeur" especially in the deep end to use your lady to clear a space by throwing her at all and sundry. And when I get the same lady thrown into my back for the third time in the same 3 minute piece of music I start to lose my cool:angry: . drops, slides and aerials I have seen them all on a crowded Fulham dance floor:mad: . IMHO I think the general standard of male dancers at fulham is Low and inconsiderate!

So why do I go to Fulham, cos Its only 25mins away and I dont have much choice on a Thurs night. I dont go regularly, for instance If I am feeling tense & irritable, I dont go, If I want a really good dance experience, I dont go.

This is my personal opinion based entirely on what I personally consider makes a venue good or not

Double Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 01:00 PM
Standard of Dancing: How can I comment here, Fulham does get crowded, with good dancers, I am not so sure. There is usually a good selection of fine lady dancers but it varies week to week. Not everyone is regular:what: Where I feel the standard falls sharply is with my fellow man. The floorcraft at Fulham is terrible, when space is limited one needs to reflect that in ones dancing.

Not so at Fulham, its seems "de rigeur" especially in the deep end to use your lady to clear a space by throwing her at all and sundry. And when I get the same lady thrown into my back for the third time in the same 3 minute piece of music I start to lose my cool:angry: . drops, slides and aerials I have seen them all on a crowded Fulham dance floor:mad: . IMHO I think the general standard of male dancers at fulham is Low and inconsiderate!

:yeah: Most of the men at the deep end think they are such fantastic dancers & all they do is throw you around with no regard for you or other people (beginners lessons for some wouldn't go a miss either). I didn't enjoy Fulham at all but really enjoyed the fact that, when you leave the venue there are lots of restaurants still open and buzzing where you can relax a bit before going home.

TheTramp
23rd-November-2006, 01:00 PM
Well I don't know - never met the guy and despite the time I spend on here, I don't keep a list of everyone's favourite venues... :rolleyes: Have you got it in for me today Trampy?!!

Of course not. It was just funny when you asked that.... Sorry! :hug:

stewart38
23rd-November-2006, 01:10 PM
Not a big fan of Thump ,thump disco remixes. I know both of the main Dj's from other venues around London and know that the music reflects the floor. Fulham attendees prefer Thump stuff.

How do you know that have you gone to ceroc HQ to find out :sick:

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 01:38 PM
not been and dont intend to go. All sounds too clicky, music sounds like a nightmare and the ignorant im so fantastic look at my drops, kicks and get out of my way malarky is not something i wish to look at or be a part off.

A number of people have said to me Oh Michele, you should come you would love it, Oh Michele the standard of dancing is so much better than here, Oh Michele blah blah blah blah blah.... i like my space to dance in, i dont like being squished when im moving and when things get too packed its just really uncomfortable.

Anyway, thats my opinion. Feel better now. :D

Double Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 01:42 PM
not been and dont intend to go. All sounds too clicky, music sounds like a nightmare and the ignorant im so fantastic look at my drops, kicks and get out of my way malarky is not something i wish to look at or be a part off.

A number of people have said to me Oh Michele, you should come you would love it, Oh Michele the standard of dancing is so much better than here, Oh Michele blah blah blah blah blah.... i like my space to dance in, i dont like being squished when im moving and when things get too packed its just really uncomfortable.

Anyway, thats my opinion. Feel better now. :D

That is truely remarkable. You have never been there but have described the place to perfection. Good effort.:love:

SilverFox
23rd-November-2006, 01:55 PM
Where I feel the standard falls sharply is with my fellow man. The floorcraft at Fulham is terrible, when space is limited one needs to reflect that in ones dancing.

Not so at Fulham, its seems "de rigeur" especially in the deep end to use your lady to clear a space by throwing her at all and sundry.
drops, slides and aerials I have seen them all on a crowded Fulham dance floor:mad: . IMHO I think the general standard of male dancers at fulham is Low and inconsiderate!

:yeah: Most of the men at the deep end think they are such fantastic dancers & all they do is throw you around with no regard for you or other people :yeah: This is so true about Fulham.

I have not been to a venue with such a large number of inconsiderate male w**kers. At the stage end most of the men reckon that they're the Billy B0llocks of dancing. Floorcraft is non existent, courtesy and manners are missing too. If you've never been you must understand how packed this venue is. There's just about enough room to do a basic blues position! Once the same c*ckhead has sent his partner into you for the 4th time during a 3 minute track - and never once apologised or even acknowledged you - I can get the feeling of dance floor rage building.

4 weeks ago - and I'm not proud to have done so - I did take physical action.:blush: . A guy attempted some aerial on his partner, it went horribly wrong and she came down on me head-butting me, hard.:eek: He yanked her off me and carried on dancing. No apology to his partner, let alone me. So I stepped over to him, excused myself with his partner and with an open palm, bitch-slapped him across his ear whilst calling him a "stupid c**t". In retrospect probably not the most civilised way to have dealt with the situation, but it felt good at the time and he has kept out of my way since.

So where was I? Oh yeah. Fulham, great venue, upbeat music, lots of people, fast floor, excellent after hours social scene, too many men who mistakenly think they're brilliant dancers.

See you there tonight guys!

robd
23rd-November-2006, 02:02 PM
4 weeks ago - and I'm not proud to have done so - I did take physical action.:blush: . A guy attempted some aerial on his partner, it went horribly wrong and she came down on me head-butting me, hard.:eek: He yanked her off me and carried on dancing. No apology to his partner, let alone me. So I stepped over to him, excused myself with his partner and with an open palm, bitch-slapped him across his ear whilst calling him a "stupid c**t". In retrospect probably not the most civilised way to have dealt with the situation, but it felt good at the time and he has kept out of my way since.

PsychoFox!

Look out for the BitchSlap Tour 2007 coming to a venue near you.

stewart38
23rd-November-2006, 02:05 PM

yes sorry about that kind of lost her in the crowd, she says her back hasnt gone into spasm for 2 days now but she finds the spoon feeding hard to swallow :sad:

mikeyr
23rd-November-2006, 02:13 PM

So where was I? Oh yeah. Fulham, great venue, upbeat music, lots of people, fast floor, excellent after hours social scene, too many men who mistakenly think they're brilliant dancers.

See you there tonight guys!
Way to go SF. Some Pos rep on its way. It seems to be the only way to deal with this behaviour.

You wont see me there tonight, cos I'll be at the new dance defence class learning the SF bitch slap stylee.

Sparkles
23rd-November-2006, 02:20 PM
You wont see me there tonight, cos I'll be at the new dance defence class learning the SF bitch slap stylee.

You could always try Bow instead... :whistle:

*ducks and runs*

Seahorse
23rd-November-2006, 02:32 PM
:yeah: This is so true about Fulham.

Speaking as someone whose nose seems to make regular contact with just about everyone elses elbow despite being over 6ft... I'm inclined to agree with you here, though I'm advised that the subtle irregularities which have manifested themselves over the summer... (in space of one week I was hit on both sides - the second time straightened it) now add character.

But I have in the past 6-8wks stopped two individuals and and a gentle word with regards to their lack of floorcraft at Fulham (I remain at the very back). The first occassion involved a guy constantly leaping in my face and the second, when his partner was repeatedly being spun around and dropped into my partner.

I wouldn't describe me myself as being volatile but I'm afraid that my patience was tested to the extreme! On a busy night, Fulham is almost impossible and why I'd rather sit and watch.

David Franklin
23rd-November-2006, 02:55 PM
4 weeks ago - and I'm not proud to have done so - I did take physical action.:blush: . A guy attempted some aerial on his partner, it went horribly wrong and she came down on me head-butting me, hard.:eek: He yanked her off me and carried on dancing. No apology to his partner, let alone me. The next to last time I was at Fulham (which would be years ago, now), the bloke doing aerials near the stage was the teacher! So I'm not entirely surprised so many of the men think it's acceptable behaviour. :tears:

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 03:04 PM

!

did anybody happen to get that on video :D

David Bailey
23rd-November-2006, 03:12 PM
Blimey, it sounds like I got off lightly by only having a "not too bad" night :eek:

From what I've heard, I think Fulham has a rep for being "The place where you go when you're a Good Dancer" amongst some Ceroc-ers.

A number of people have said to me Oh Michele, you should come you would love it, Oh Michele the standard of dancing is so much better than here, Oh Michele blah blah blah blah blah....
See, that's their problem, if they'd called you by your proper name you'd have listened to them :innocent:

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 03:14 PM
Blimey, it sounds like I got off lightly by only having a "not too bad" night :eek:

From what I've heard, I think Fulham has a rep for being "The place where you go when you're a Good Dancer" amongst some Ceroc-ers.

See, that's their problem, if they'd called you by your proper name you'd have listened to them :innocent:

enlighten me as to my proper name DJ....please do. (starts to load the gun) :respect:

David Bailey
23rd-November-2006, 03:33 PM
enlighten me as to my proper name DJ....please do. (starts to load the gun) :respect:

"Trouble, now with a capital T" wasn't it??

Double Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 04:16 PM

Well recovered David.....trust me, you were THAT close to a bullet up ya nostril.:D

Double Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 04:19 PM
BTW...I notice Spin Dryer comes on here....stirs up a whole load of whoopass & leaves the rest of us to it. Anyone would think he worked for a living and had something better to do all day.:whistle:

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 04:26 PM

mmm (puts gun back)..... :D :D :love:

mikeyr
23rd-November-2006, 06:16 PM
You could always try Bow instead... :whistle:

*ducks and runs*

I do go to Bow....On a Wednesday but thats Salsa:devil: . Are you telling us
you are now a regular there on a Thursday......... :drool: :drool: :D All of a sudden I feel Fulham fading :cool:

Spin dryer
23rd-November-2006, 08:47 PM
:yeah: This is so true about Fulham.

I have not been to a venue with such a large number of inconsiderate male w**kers. At the stage end most of the men reckon that they're the Billy B0llocks of dancing. Floorcraft is non existent, courtesy and manners are missing too. If you've never been you must understand how packed this venue is. There's just about enough room to do a basic blues position! Once the same c*ckhead has sent his partner into you for the 4th time during a 3 minute track - and never once apologised or even acknowledged you - I can get the feeling of dance floor rage building.

I do agree with this comment Vince, and the similar comments by others. I also agree with the earlier comment to the effect that you wouldn't want to go there if you were feeling a little under the weather. But if you're feeling good before you go, you'll certainly be buzzing by the end of the evening. Sure, it's not the blues room at Southport, but for a regular MJ night it's fantastic.

It amuses me how some on this thread have expressed a visceral dislike for a venue that they have not visited.

Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 10:04 PM
I do agree with this comment Vince, and the similar comments by others. I also agree with the earlier comment to the effect that you wouldn't want to go there if you were feeling a little under the weather. But if you're feeling good before you go, you'll certainly be buzzing by the end of the evening. Sure, it's not the blues room at Southport, but for a regular MJ night it's fantastic.

It amuses me how some on this thread have expressed a visceral dislike for a venue that they have not visited.

Glad i amuse you. After all, its a long walk back from Ashtons :whistle:

alex
23rd-November-2006, 10:05 PM
it is my favourite london ceroc venue. i used to go a lot, but not been able to make it since the summer. its not perfect, but is better than the others ive tried recently (ish, jive bar, clapham)

ive never thought the floorcraft at fulham was particularly bad. it is definitley better than hammersmith

Double Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 10:16 PM

Visceral?...where's my frickin' dictionary when i need it.:D

Double Trouble
23rd-November-2006, 10:20 PM

Viscera (viss-er-a) large abdominal organs

visceral - instinctive

You learn something every day. Thanks Mark, honestly, it's like dating your headmaster.....but without all the court appearances.:D

Flat_Eric
24th-November-2006, 10:16 AM
To me, Ceroc Fulham is synonymous with one of the most beautiful floors of all London Ceroc venues, but also:
- Endless lectures and comments on my dancing from small fry City type, male and female wannabe Gordon Gekko's (http://static.flickr.com/35/69538868_97d25675b2_o.jpg), most of whom have been dancing for less than a year

- An incredibly stiff shoulder and arm from the girls, who force moves in when they don't need to be, preferably if it's a Grand Archie... It may work for some people but does apply if you've got a smooth smooth lead

- Groups of females ostentatiously commenting on people's style and looks, giving you one of these "up-down-up-how-dare-you-talk-to-me" lazer glances before saying no . You would think you were at a speed dating evening

- Good dancers who feel the need to constantly prove themselves. This is quite visible in the outfits, which state their standard much more loudly than in any other venue (an unnecessary thing normally since good dancers are known and don't need to war-paint themselves unless they are dealing with an uneducated, unwilling to learn crowd) and in their moves, much more complex than needed... all this, on a floor I am about to add a few lines on...

- The floorcraft: packed, rude, dangerous, full of attitude, reeking testosterone and estrogen, claiming maximum credit for very little. I often describe Fulham as the Vietnam of dancing, but this is a bit inaccurate: a better definition would be to call Ceroc Fulham the Walkabout (as in the bar chain) of dancing. Thanks, but no thanks...

- The music: poom-tack-shakalackaboom, or where Ceroc plays non-club music in a club way. It doesn't really work, does it but, considering the context -people whacking moves to each other and enjoying every opportunity to negate the couple nearby -, it does not matter much...

Ceroc Fulham just makes me laugh. I find it "all-talk-no-trousers" and consider most London venues more worth my while in terms of the dance standard, the floor and, more importantly, the mindset of the dance. I go there once every year to remember why I don't like it and have always come home satisfied since the last 3 times I went there...

On a positive note: Ceroc Fulham encompasses a lot of things I do not really like in dancing, but which do belong to the world and culture of dancing: aggressivity, competitiveness, unnecessary wannabism etc... In a way, that all these elements are concentrated in a single venue I pretty much never go to may be a good thing.

David Bailey
24th-November-2006, 10:53 AM
{ snip ranting }
Good grief :eek:

But, apart from those minor problems, it's the best venue in London ever, yes? :whistle:

Flat_Eric
24th-November-2006, 11:01 AM
Good grief :eek:

But, apart from those minor problems, it's the best venue in London ever, yes? :whistle:
Yes, if it's the premises you're talking about. No otherwise.

David Bailey
24th-November-2006, 11:07 AM
Yes, if it's the premises you're talking about. No otherwise.
OK, all we need to do is just get rid of the dancers, the DJ, and the teachers. Sounds like a sensible approach. :rofl:

(Hey, Spin Dryer, bet you wish you'd never started this now don't you... :innocent: )

David Franklin
24th-November-2006, 11:07 AM
But, apart from those minor problems, it's the best venue in London ever, yes? :whistle:To paraphrase a well known song:

But it's a great place, Fulham Town Hall; it's got the best hotshots and dance snobs in the world...

Trouble
24th-November-2006, 11:10 AM
To paraphrase a well known song:

But it's a great place, Fulham Town Hall; it's got the best hotshots and dance snobs in the world...

Let me just correct that..

Its a great place, Fulham Town Hall, its got the biggest egotistic, up your own ass, cant dance that great snobs in the world,.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:respect:

David Franklin
24th-November-2006, 11:32 AM
Let me just correct that..

Its a great place, Fulham Town Hall, its got the biggest egotistic, up your own ass, cant dance that great snobs in the world,It might be more accurate, but that line just doesn't scan, I'm afraid.

With apologies to Touch and Go:

Now I'd just left work one evening
and, um, yeah just leaving the tube,
it was really horrible snowing
'cos I lived on Riverside Drive
In Fulham, in Fulham, in Fulham

I had this dream to become a dancer
in Fulham

And um, hotshots were there, hotshots,
y'know hotshots were everywhere,
it was really horrible, crowded,
in Fulham, in Fulham

I come to the stage,
and I'm dancing a first move,
when somebody throws my head at the floor
in Fulham, in Fulham

I only had inches of safety,
because it was so crowded
in Fulham, in Fulham

I was actually thinking about those inches,
all I had to survive,
in Fulham,
and I was, like, what! Y'know,
F**k You!

Now, now I just got home
yeah, just walking home, snowing,
'cos I lived on Riverside Drive
in Fulham, in Fulham,

Flat_Eric
24th-November-2006, 11:39 AM
OK, all we need to do is just get rid of the dancers, the DJ, and the teachers. Sounds like a sensible approach. :rofl:

LOL!!!!! Was "sensible" part of the equation? In this case, simply relocate Ceroc Fulham away from Fulham, that should do it. :D :waycool: :D:yum:

I thought of a metaphor, earlier on. Fulham reminds me of Strictly's Brendan Cole (http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/images/2004/11/02/brendancole_203x152.jpg) in its mindset. It may be technically a bit higher than average, but I find it obnoxious, full of itself and far too loud. As I said, it is part of the dance culture and it is good that there is a place to satisfy its clientele, but dancing how I see and live it is quite different and, I think, more substantial.

If it's suggestions for improvements you're after, please change nothing. The Fulham dancing rat race adores its own thrill (the expression: "full of itself" can be used literally there. MOre seriously, it is rare to meet Fulhma people in other venues...). Just make sure the Fulham culture does not spread too much anywhere else, as the core population of Ceroc long-term regulars would not be utterly happy with it...

Twirly
24th-November-2006, 11:42 AM
So, how did the forumites who braved the choppy dancefloor at Fulham get on last night then? Or are they all in hospital because of the bad floorcraft?!

WittyBird
24th-November-2006, 11:48 AM
I couldn't possibly comment about my ordeal at Fulham last night. :mad:

Had some great dances though :mad: and most of the people seemed friendly enough. I even got asked to dance :grin:

Emma
24th-November-2006, 12:00 PM
It was the place that stop my sister going dancing a couple of years back as she got grope a couple of times but now has gone back to it with two friends and loves it, maybe the gropers have gone or time hasn’t been kind to her ?No, they haven't gone. (Can't comment on your sister but my guess is that the gropers pick on people they haven't seen before?) I went to Fulham over the summer and left early because I got sick of being felt up and having my hand pushed into innapropriate places. (And yes, I should have spoken to the management, but I voted with my feet instead.)

It's a pity because I actually had some lovely dances there and found the non-groping dancers and general atmosphere friendlier than I had on previous occasions :)

stewart38
24th-November-2006, 01:07 PM
I couldn't possibly comment about my ordeal at Fulham last night. :mad:

Had some great dances though :mad: and most of the people seemed friendly enough. I even got asked to dance :grin:

Best not to :whistle:

wasnt as crowded as usual

To the lovely lady in the lovely blue dress at front of stage, i really thought you would say no to a dance and you didnt :flower: ok you didnt smile but nor did :sad:

I think a few hot shots were not dancing :whistle:

Trouble
24th-November-2006, 01:39 PM
Best not to :whistle:

wasnt as crowded as usual

To the lovely lady in the lovely blue dress at front of stage, i really thought you would say no to a dance and you didnt :flower: ok you didnt smile but nor did :sad:

I think a few hot shots were not dancing :whistle:

do tell Stewart, do tell.....i know one of the hot shots spend ages boring Witty...... :flower:

Spin dryer
24th-November-2006, 09:28 PM
- Good dancers who feel the need to constantly prove themselves. This is quite visible in the outfits, which state their standard much more loudly than in any other venue (an unnecessary thing normally since good dancers are known and don't need to war-paint themselves unless they are dealing with an uneducated, unwilling to learn crowd) and in their moves, much more complex than needed...

I think it's lovely the way that the Fulham women dress up. I certainly appreciate it and I'm sure that the other guys (and girls) do too. What's wrong with your aesthetic sensibilities "Flat" Eric?

David Bailey
24th-November-2006, 09:51 PM
I think it's lovely the way that the Fulham women dress up. I certainly appreciate it and I'm sure that the other guys (and girls) do too.
I did notice that the girls were more dressy than normal.

In fact, thinking about it, the whole atmosphere was a bit more "nightclubby" than normal; more crowded, less friendly, more thump-thump music, more attitude, and so on.

I guess if you're looking for what's effectively a Ceroc nightclub, that's the sort of place that appeals to you - if you're not (and it isn't my scene), then it won't. Maybe that's why people have such different attitudes towards the place?

Flat_Eric
24th-November-2006, 09:55 PM
What's wrong with your aesthetic sensibilities "Flat" Eric?

So something is wrong with my aesthetic sensibilities, Dr "Spin" dryer (or maybe would you prefer to be called Spin "Dr dryer" lol)? Thanks for letting me know. When can I get an appointment? I'm happy to go private.

What I meant was that the high standard dancers I noticed the last time I went were dressed with a more ostentatious dance attire, that stated clearly: "I'm a top dancing dude / gal. If you invite me, make sure you know who you're dealing with". I've met the same people in other venues and the way they were dressed was more quiet.

I attached meaning to this, and it's only my interpretation of it, with which ou can absolutely disagree. In any case, no criticism of these people dressing style per se.

David Bailey
13th-July-2007, 10:59 AM
I've posted this in the MJDA forum (http://www.mjda.org/forum/showpost.php?p=5411&postcount=28), but I'll repeat it here because it's worth saying twice.

I went to Fulham last night.

For the first 15 minutes, I really enjoyed it - yes, the music was all thumpy-thumpy, but it's a Ceroc venue. The floor was good, the people were smiling, no obvious signs of snootiness, and all was well in the world.

Then I got trodden on. Then bumped. Twice.

Then I got a follower who decided to completely ignore my lead when I slowed down to the music - she decided almost to go ahead and dance to her own little tune in her head, merrily spinning and bouncing away... Whilst this may not actually be a first for me, but it's so rare that I can't remember the last time it happened. :confused:

Then I saw a couple in the corner by the stage doing aerials - not little mini-aerials either, these were the real thing. Culminating in a "girl-handstand" move. At Fulham... I was so gobsmacked at the sheer stupidity of this, I stopped dancing. mainly to see if she was going to plummet 8 feet down head first onto the hard wooden floor. She didn't, this time... I complained to the taxi dancer on duty at the time, he promised to keep an eye on them, but didn't say anything.

After that, I snuck to the back, and - guess what - encountered another couple doing large aerials. It's like they were stalking me or something...

Also, I only danced with a couple of top-flight dancers, all the others were B-listers, so I've no idea where this "good dancers go to Fulham" idea comes from.... :confused:

Despite all this, I had a reasonable time - mainly because I paid extra attention to floorcraft and didn't worry too much about the lack of it shown by others. But, I can honestly say that the reports about Fulham are not exaggerated - it's not safe, and I won't be going back.

Lee Bartholomew
13th-July-2007, 02:24 PM
Despite all this, I had a reasonable time - mainly because I paid extra attention to floorcraft and didn't worry too much about the lack of it shown by others. But, I can honestly say that the reports about Fulham are not exaggerated - it's not safe, and I won't be going back.

Fulham dancers, your plan has worked. :rofl:

Trouble
13th-July-2007, 02:27 PM
Fulham dancers, your plan has worked. :rofl:

FULHAM WHAT A WASTE OF SPACE. CLICKY, HORRIBLE, YUK. Should be better now DJ has stopped going.!! :wink: :D :love:

ONLY KIDDING dj PLEASE DONT REPREMAND ME.

oh go on then if you must ....... xx

Lee Bartholomew
13th-July-2007, 02:32 PM
FULHAM WHAT A WASTE OF SPACE. CLICKY, HORRIBLE, YUK. Should be better now DJ has stopped going.!! :wink: :D :love:

ONLY KIDDING dj PLEASE DONT REPREMAND ME.

oh go on then if you must ....... xx

Now DJ's not going, should be more space for the aerials.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

David Bailey
13th-July-2007, 02:41 PM
Now DJ's not going, should be more space for the aerials.

Sorry, I know I'm coming across (ooer missus) as Mr Boring - but if you'd seen these two nutters, you'd have been shocked too.

One mistake, just one, and she'd have been seriously injured. In my view, that move was far more dangerous than the original incident which caused Ceroc to ban aerials in the first place - and Fulham's not exactly a quiet empty venue...

Trouble
13th-July-2007, 02:43 PM
Sorry, I know I'm coming across (ooer missus) as Mr Boring - but if you'd seen these two nutters, you'd have been shocked too.

One mistake, just one, and she'd have been seriously injured. In my view, that move was far more dangerous than the original incident which caused Ceroc to ban aerials in the first place - and Fulham's not exactly a quiet empty venue...

in all seriousness i absolutely agree with you.

Ceroc should be concerned because there insurance would not be valid in the event of an accident, any accident, caused by aerials being done.

CEROC WAKE UP

Lee Bartholomew
13th-July-2007, 02:47 PM

Im ribbing you. Put post in ban aierals thread. I have done exactly the same and reported it before.

What was the original incident? Never saw a thread or posts on it.

David Bailey
13th-July-2007, 02:56 PM
What was the original incident? Never saw a thread or posts on it.
The original thread is here:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/12193-new-ceroc-aerial-rules.html

- hold on, you posted on it... :confused:

Memory like a.... errr....

Lee Bartholomew
13th-July-2007, 03:01 PM
The original thread is here:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/12193-new-ceroc-aerial-rules.html

- hold on, you posted on it... :confused:

Memory like a.... errr....

I did but in the thread it doesn't actually say what happened for the ban to be introduced. The way people talk about it suggests there was an accident. Was this the case?

Trouble
13th-July-2007, 03:02 PM
I did but in the thread it doesn't actually say what happened for the ban to be introduced. The way people talk about it suggests there was an accident. Was this the case?

The short version.....Somebody dancing at Stevenage dropped a girl on her head. she was unable to dance for many months and still suffers with dizzy spells now. I was there when it happened and trust me this guy should not be doing any aerials. :angry:

David Bailey
13th-July-2007, 03:03 PM
I did but in the thread it doesn't actually say what happened for the ban to be introduced.

Well, apart from here:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/12193-new-ceroc-aerial-rules-2.html#post362259

Astro
13th-July-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey DJ, did you see your double at Fulham last night?

You were both even dressed alike and he can do the Columbian too and is an excellent dancer.

I approached him for a dance thinking he was you, then realised he wasn't, he wore specs.

Noticed you were still on the floor when the last track was played.:whistle:

David Bailey
14th-July-2007, 09:27 AM
I didn't see my double, no - but let's face it, there's not exactly a shortage of short fat bald blokes wearing black T-shirts in Ceroc...

Noticed you were still on the floor when the last track was played.:whistle:
I was - I didn't say I didn't get some good dances, I did :)

SilverFox
25th-July-2007, 10:51 AM
Then I saw a couple in the corner by the stage doing aerials - not little mini-aerials either, these were the real thing. Culminating in a "girl-handstand" move. At Fulham... I was so gobsmacked at the sheer stupidity of this, I stopped dancing. mainly to see if she was going to plummet 8 feet down head first onto the hard wooden floor. She didn't, this time... I complained to the taxi dancer on duty at the time, he promised to keep an eye on them, but didn't say anything.

One mistake, just one, and she'd have been seriously injured. In my view, that move was far more dangerous than the original incident which caused Ceroc to ban aerials in the first place - and Fulham's not exactly a quiet empty venue...You'll be pleased to hear David, that the venue manager David Bradley (Bradders) pulled the aforementioned circus act aside that night and told them to cease performing aerials. The guy protested vociferously, chucked his Fisher Prices and claimed that people actually enjoyed watching them dance and that Bradders was clearly jealous of him! :sick:

Needless to say, they never showed up at Fulham last Thursday. :clap:

One down, a few more to go. Good work Bradders. :respect:

mikeyr
25th-July-2007, 11:20 AM

:yeah: Well done Bradders! Can somebody let me know when its truly safe to go back to Fulham:what:

Double Trouble
25th-July-2007, 12:55 PM
:yeah: Well done Bradders! Can somebody let me know when its truly safe to go back to Fulham:what:

As long as you don't mention smoking, you should be OK.:sick:

stewart38
25th-July-2007, 02:12 PM
I didn't see my double, no - but let's face it, there's not exactly a shortage of short fat bald blokes wearing black T-shirts in Ceroc...

Well I assume if your going to lift a girl above a standard male cerocers head height any swinging motion or any exposed legs etc that the girl has is going to be several feet above your head

From a tall fat bald bloke that would have to duck more :whistle:

LilyB
25th-July-2007, 07:15 PM
You'll be pleased to hear David, that the venue manager David Bradley (Bradders) pulled the aforementioned circus act aside that night and told them to cease performing aerials. The guy protested vociferously, chucked his Fisher Prices and claimed that people actually enjoyed watching them dance and that Bradders was clearly jealous of him! :sick:

Needless to say, they never showed up at Fulham last Thursday. :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And

:respect: :respect: :respect: to Bradders.