PDA

View Full Version : 12th August: Twyford Vs. MJC

David Bailey
3rd-July-2006, 08:23 PM
Aaaannnd.... In the Red Corner, we have:

---------------------------------------
Twyford Summer Ball and DWAS competition. Dress code: Sparkle, Shimmer & Shine, 8pm - midnight, tea, coffee and cookies (possibly the Ceroc kind).

During the day: workshops including Advanced (Billco & Bex), Jango (Will & Kate), Dips & Drops (Simon & Nicole), Ladies Styling (Kate) and Ballroom Basics (Dave & Lily Barker).

Day + Evening ticket £30, Day ticket £25, Evening ticket £10

Music: TWK and Dan Hudson

Facing them, in the Blue Corner, we have:

Monster Jive Cocktail 10

Two-room freestyle, from 9 (?) until 1am

18 dance workshops in 3 rooms, cabaret by Yuval & Nathalie, workshops by Yuval & Nathalie, Paul Warden, Mick Wenger, Howard & Nicola, Adam Crewe & Tas Beckett, David Rokov & Val Forsey, Siu Fai Yuen and Dan Slape, on modern jive, west coast swing, blues, lindy hop, latin and street dance.

Day and Evening ticket £40, Evening £15

Music: Laurence Ward, Annalisa Martin, Ivan Martin, Greg Davidson, Rob Foster, Rob McKim

Now, at first glance it looks like the MJC monster will trample all over titchy Twyford. More rooms, more classes, more music, etc.

But... am I weird, or does Twyford sound a bit better?

Cast your votes....

Tazmanian Devil
3rd-July-2006, 08:32 PM
It's Twyford for me :D :clap:

:rofl: Was it deliberate the whole not being able to see who's voted :rofl:

Cruella
3rd-July-2006, 08:32 PM
Bloody Hell DJ, are you ill?
This is a poll!!
Even if you forgot to make it public!
What if we want to do the workshops at MJC and the evening at Twyford?

David Bailey
3rd-July-2006, 08:50 PM
:rofl: Was it deliberate the whole not being able to see who's voted :rofl:
Oh really? I never noticed... :innocent:

Absolutely - I've got no problems with polls, but I just don't care who's going there - I want to know which event people think will be better, and why.

Hence the cunningly-designed question: "Which event do you think will be better?" :rolleyes:

Dan Hudson
3rd-July-2006, 09:57 PM
:respect: I think Twyford has edged it with an awesome line up of workshops, Kate, Lily, Bex and Nicole all in one place:awe: :worthy: :drool: ... think I will be popping down for the whole day:devil:

And two of the most gorgeous DJ's on the circuit:whistle: :clap:

On the downside.... Will:devil: :rofl:

Minnie M
3rd-July-2006, 11:06 PM
Such a shame they clash and both Ceroc events too :mad:

Tiggerbabe
4th-July-2006, 12:25 AM
I'll be DJ-ing in Glasgow - otherwise I'd have headed for Twyford :)

Mary
4th-July-2006, 08:15 AM
Gotta be Twyford, and just pop out for the cabaret by Yuval and Nathalie.

That's a pretty classy line-up at Twyford, for both day and evening.:worthy: :worthy:

M

LMC
4th-July-2006, 08:45 AM
Twyford for me

Bex
4th-July-2006, 09:04 AM
:respect: I think Twyford has edged it with an awesome line up of workshops, Kate, Lily, Bex and Nicole all in one place:awe: :worthy: :drool: ... think I will be popping down for the whole day:devil:

A bit of a gaff on my part :blush: , non other than the gorgeous Sparkles :worthy: will be demoing for Billco (will have my hands full with another young man that day!! :wink: )

Bex
4th-July-2006, 09:09 AM

Yes it is a shame we clash (but we had the date first!!! :D ) Seriously though, yes they are both Ceroc events but we are not in competition with each other, they are offering IMO different things - both events will be great I'm sure. :flower:

David Bailey
4th-July-2006, 09:18 AM
I know, it's very weird.

And looking at the map, they're very close to each other - 18 miles. According to multimap.com, it's a 20-minute drive...

Cue rant about franchise competition. Alternatively, celebrate the market size that allows Ceroc to offer two such great events on the same day. Take your pick :devil:

For some reason, despite it only recently becoming a proper Ceroc event, MJC "feels" more "Ceroc-y" than Twyford...

Yes it is a shame we clash (but we had the date first!!! :D )
Sure - MJC changed their date fairly late in the day, they've been June historically from what I remember.

mooncalf
4th-July-2006, 01:40 PM
I know, it's very weird.

And looking at the map, they're very close to each other - 18 miles. According to multimap.com, it's a 20-minute drive...

From someone who's driven it, more like 40 minutes on a good day.

Will
4th-July-2006, 03:26 PM

And two of the most gorgeous DJ's on the circuit:whistle: :clap:

On the downside.... Will:devil: :rofl:

Hudson - Oh man of questionable parentage.... I look forward to seeing Charlton flounder towards relegation next season without Curbishly.

And you can stop putting rumours around that Simon & Annalise are paying for me to appear at Twyford! :mad:

LilyB
4th-July-2006, 06:23 PM
I think Twyford has edged it .......... I will be popping down for the whole day:devil:

May I be the first to book a dance with this man:drool:

LilyB
4th-July-2006, 06:26 PM
It's Twyford for me :D :clap:

:clap: And may I be the first to book a dance with this lady:flower:

wicked blue
4th-July-2006, 07:21 PM
difficult decision, :what: but historically Twyford has always been a gud'un, so i'm leaning more towards that...:clap:

Dan Hudson
5th-July-2006, 01:26 PM
difficult decision, :what: but historically Twyford has always been a gud'un, so i'm leaning more towards that...:clap:
:clap: yay... please come.. you know you want to:hug:

Dan Hudson
5th-July-2006, 01:27 PM
May I be the first to book a dance with this man:drool:

you may :awe: it would be an honour:drool: :worthy:

WittyBird
5th-July-2006, 01:29 PM
And you can stop putting rumours around that Simon & Annalise are paying for me to appear at Twyford! :mad:

He told me they'd paid for you to stay away :what:

Simon r
5th-July-2006, 05:24 PM
Just to add to this there is 200 tickets only when there gone, there gone

so book now because we don't want to disapoint.

Simon

Dan Hudson
5th-July-2006, 10:17 PM
Just to add to this there is 200 tickets only when there gone, there gone

so book now because we don't want to disapoint.

Simon
:what: better get in quick!!

Tazmanian Devil
5th-July-2006, 10:33 PM
:clap: And may I be the first to book a dance with this lady:flower:

Of course hun. Always a pleasure dancing with you :worthy: :worthy:

David Bailey
5th-July-2006, 10:36 PM
Blimey, how much luvvie-ness can one thread take? :rolleyes:

Anyone got some actual, you know, information or opinions? Preferably not one of the organisers, and preferably comparing both...

Tazmanian Devil
5th-July-2006, 10:50 PM

*blows Raspberry*

*gives DJ a big Hug*

David Bailey
6th-July-2006, 12:57 PM
*blows Raspberry*

*gives DJ a big Hug*
Oooh, can I have a dance with you then? Puh-lease? Pretty please? :na:

Tazmanian Devil
6th-July-2006, 02:11 PM
Oooh, can I have a dance with you then? Puh-lease? Pretty please? :na:

Hmmmm now let me think..............................

NO!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm only joking babes.................

Honestly I am :tears:

I would Love to have a dance or six with you :hug:

David Bailey
6th-July-2006, 05:46 PM
I would Love to have a dance or six with you :hug:
Well, you'll have to audition for me first, you know; I'm getting the hang of this "no-row" business now :)

Besides, who says I'm going? :innocent:

under par
7th-July-2006, 04:40 AM

Anyone got some actual, you know, information or opinions? Preferably not one of the organisers, and preferably comparing both...

I went to MJC for the Saturday evening only last year.

Its the only MJC I have been to and it was disappointing in 2 respects
1. there was hardly anyone in the blues/wcs room .
Which lead to 2. there were way far too many people in the main room and it was very very hot.

Good points
1.the amazing caberet by Nathalie and Yuval:respect:
2 Minnie M and A an A on the door with the wristbands.
Allowing us forumites interested in meeting with and dancing (not exclusively!!!! before ) with other forumites the opportunity to do so.

Not been to Twyford Summer Ball yet so cannot comment.

Don't think I'll be able to get time off this year.:mad: So I might have to get Mrs Par to check out one of the events for me:cheers:

Dan Hudson
7th-July-2006, 07:38 AM
Don't think I'll be able to get time off this year.:mad: So I might have to get Mrs Par to check out one of the events for me:cheers:

:tears: oh no! But send Mrs Par to Twyford to investigate and report back to you:innocent:

I have never been to MJC and therefore couldn't comment, but even before I was djing at Twyford, i would have gone there over MJC because of my past experiences there.....

Is that better DJ??:D

under par
7th-July-2006, 07:40 AM
:t
I have never been to MJC and therefore couldn't comment, but even before I was djing at Twyford, i would have gone there over MJC because of my past experiences there.....

Is that better DJ??:D

We are trying very hard DJ please give us gold stars please!

Alice
7th-July-2006, 10:30 AM
We are trying very hard DJ please give us gold stars please!
Is there anyone who's actually been to both events and could compare them?? :flower:

Tazmanian Devil
9th-July-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, you'll have to audition for me first, you know; I'm getting the hang of this "no-row" business now :)
Oh damn I had better start practicing then :sad:

wicked blue
9th-July-2006, 07:13 PM
:clap: yay... please come.. you know you want to:hug:

do you promise me a dance? :nice:

wicked blue
9th-July-2006, 07:25 PM
Is there anyone who's actually been to both events and could compare them?? :flower:

MJC last year was very busy, but not a lot of familiar faces, the cabaret was very good. There were two rooms, but hardly anyone was in the blues room, everyone seemed to be in the main room which was rather hot!! Of course on MJC's side the lovely sheepman will be there spinning out his smooth tracks. :nice: :clap:

Twyford for me is always good!...and of course the TWK and Dan combination is hard to beat... :clap:

Minnie M
13th-July-2006, 03:24 PM
Is the Twyford 'all dayer' a regular event ??

Bill
15th-July-2006, 07:15 PM
Are there still tickets for the Twyford Ball? Haven't been on here for ages and only realised it's on the 12th. Just booked a number of tickets for the Festival Fringe but can leave the 12th free!!!!

Fran and I haven't been south for ages and would be great to see 'old' faces again. :grin:

Minnie M
15th-July-2006, 07:37 PM
Are there still tickets for the Twyford Ball? Haven't been on here for ages and only realised it's on the 12th. Just booked a number of tickets for the Festival Fringe but can leave the 12th free!!!!

Fran and I haven't been south for ages and would be great to see 'old' faces again. :grin:

:tears: can't you do both :tears: haven't seen you guys since the BFG 2005 :tears: unless you can make it to Southport :D

Dan Hudson
16th-July-2006, 11:29 AM

yay:worthy: :clap: :clap:

Hope to catch a dance again with the lovely Fran:drool: its be too long:tears:

Cruella
16th-July-2006, 11:59 AM
Oi, not so much of the old! Gutted to be missing the chance of a BTC dance. :tears: I'll be in Florida. :D

LilyB
16th-July-2006, 01:37 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: I would be fantastic to see you and Fran again.

Bill
17th-July-2006, 10:37 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I would be fantastic to see you and Fran again.

and it'll be great to see you ( and David of course ! :D ). Been ages since we danced and really sorry that we'll miss both Minnie and Cruella - but hopefully meet up again soon. :clap:

See you all at the Ball. :cheers: :D

ElaineB
18th-July-2006, 07:15 AM
Well, I really, really hope that we ARE going to get to Twyford on 12 August! Things have been a tad frantic here lately, but I am going to block the diary right NOW! :D

Elaine

straycat
18th-July-2006, 09:41 AM
Hmmm. Just realised that we may be in the area & able to get to the Twyford evening bash - is there a danger of tickets running out in the near future?

Was brought up a couple of miles from there, so I'd be curious to see how the dance scene's turned out (wasn't one when I left the area)

murphy
18th-July-2006, 11:12 AM
Twyford evening bash - is there a danger of tickets running out in the near future?

Are there still tickets for the Twyford Ball?

Tickets are still available, but numbers will be limited to 200.

PM me or Bex for further details.

:clap:

Minnie M
18th-July-2006, 06:34 PM
and it'll be great to see you ( and David of course ! :D ). Been ages since we danced and really sorry that we'll miss both Minnie and Cruella - but hopefully meet up again soon. :clap:

Not fair :tears: :angry: why are they both on the same day :tears:

Cruella
19th-July-2006, 08:01 AM
Hmmm. Just realised that we may be in the area & able to get to the Twyford evening bash - is there a danger of tickets running out in the near future?

So now i'm not only missing Bill and Fran, but you and Joolee too. :tears: Anyone want to buy a holiday to Florida?:rolleyes: (I'll even throw in the husband and kids for company):D

Missy D
19th-July-2006, 08:59 AM
So now i'm not only missing Bill and Fran, but you and Joolee too. :tears: Anyone want to buy a holiday to Florida?:rolleyes: (I'll even throw in the husband and kids for company):D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I shall be back on the 8th from Egypt just in time for the Twyford Summer Party:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dee might be coming along too!:clap: :hug:

Lory
19th-July-2006, 09:07 AM
Looking forward to catching up with you again! :hug:

Calorie free chocolate :drool:

LMC
19th-July-2006, 03:33 PM
Sent off form & cheque for Twyford yesterday :D

*queues up behind Lory for BTC dance with Bill* :drool:

Sparkles
19th-July-2006, 04:15 PM

Looking forward to seeing you - save me some dances too please (and Fran, if she'll have me :blush: ). :flower:
S. xx

Bill
19th-July-2006, 10:13 PM
Looking forward to catching up with you again! :hug:

Calorie free chocolate :drool:

Haven't seen you in ages so really looking forward to a few dances :D :flower: If the weather keeps up the chocolate may well have melted!!!!! :eek: :sick:

straycat
20th-July-2006, 08:37 AM

Sorry to miss you. Looks like we will be at Twyford (just sent off for tickets) - so if you decide to skip the holiday... (nothing in Florida but crocodiles anyway. Or is that alligators?)

Mary
23rd-July-2006, 05:03 PM
If the last Twyford freestyle night is anything to go by I imagine the tickets for the evening ball will sell out pretty quickly. :worthy:

M

robd
24th-July-2006, 06:10 PM
If Bill does the BTC dancing then who gets the BTS moniker (assuming you don't think CBS) ??

LMC
24th-July-2006, 07:30 PM
NO ONE is better than Shoes.

Sorry.

David Bailey
10th-August-2006, 12:57 PM
Good grief - I just found out that Hammersmith is on as well on Saturday.

So that's 3 big Ceroc events, all in the same area, all on the same night... :rolleyes:

ducasi
10th-August-2006, 01:11 PM

So that's 3 big Ceroc events, all in the same area, all on the same night... :rolleyes:
Only one thing (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=274&day=2006-8-12&c=1) for it... :)

Rhythm King
10th-August-2006, 01:24 PM

What, Berkshire, Surrey and London?

Msfab
10th-August-2006, 01:40 PM

Well depending to how much you wanted to get out and dance, they are less than 1.5 hours away from each other! I see where DJ is coming from :eek:

David Bailey
10th-August-2006, 02:13 PM
Well, they look real close on my pocket atlas :innocent:

Seriously, they are close together, they are big events and they are all being run by the same organisation - whereas there wasn't much on last weekend in the area, and there isn't much on the following weekend (as far as I know).

So some scheduling co-ordination might have been helpful, is what I'm saying.

straycat
10th-August-2006, 02:19 PM
Well, they look real close on my pocket atlas :innocent:

Seriously, they are close together, they are big events and they are all being run by the same organisation - whereas there wasn't much on last weekend in the area, and there isn't much on the following weekend (as far as I know).

So some scheduling co-ordination might have been helpful, is what I'm saying.

Actually, it's deliberate. Ceroc Central like to pit the different areas against each other to see who'll survive - ultimately there will be less venues, but the ones remaining will be leaner, meaner, faster on their feat - real survival types.

Then the real trials will begin - CC will start to sanction the abduction of teachers, torture, assassination, even the occasional horse's-head-onna-bed trick until there's just one franchise left.

But what a franchise it'll be....

David Bailey
10th-August-2006, 02:40 PM
CC will start to sanction the abduction of teachers, torture, assassination, even the occasional horse's-head-onna-bed trick until there's just one franchise left.

:rofl:

The new Ceroc motto: "There can be only one!" :eek:

LMC
10th-August-2006, 02:42 PM
Hilarious stuff

Who is brave enough to run a public book on who will be the eventual Godfather? :devil:

DJ?

Mostlysane
11th-August-2006, 09:28 AM
Gotta be Twyford, and just pop out for the cabaret by Yuval and Nathalie.

M

We saw them do one of their cabarets in Fleet last night. A truely amazing piece of dancing. Apparently they have a new one for Saturday that's never been seen in Europe before. :respect:

Sadly i'm going to a wedding in Ireland so wont be doing MJC or Twyford :(

Seahorse
11th-August-2006, 07:26 PM
A few days away from the forum in my isolation bubble and I've just twigged that everyone will be outside of london this weekend and I'm off to Hammersmith - well apart from WittyBird.

This is going to be an interesting weekend... what's happening on sunday? tonight is a non starter as we're still working.

WittyBird
11th-August-2006, 07:34 PM
well apart from WittyBird.

????????? :confused: pray tell me more :rofl:

Seahorse
11th-August-2006, 07:50 PM
????????? :confused: pray tell me more :rofl:

Have to make up for last night... not a good night! :sick:

Georgious dancer
12th-August-2006, 03:21 PM
Myself and NZ monkey will be at Hammersmith, think wayaay bird and taz devil will be there too!

Tazmanian Devil
12th-August-2006, 11:33 PM
Myself and NZ monkey will be at Hammersmith, think wayaay bird and taz devil will be there too!

You think wrong sweetie I am at home about to watch Chup Chup ke :D

Hope you all had a good night though :flower:

Dan Hudson
13th-August-2006, 12:59 AM
:worthy: Another awesome night at Twyford...... well done Bill Bex and the rest of the team:respect:

will post more tomorrow

Rhythm King
13th-August-2006, 02:37 AM
:yeah: :worthy:

Great night, shame about the M4 though :rolleyes:

Minnie M
13th-August-2006, 03:28 AM
:yeah: :worthy:

Great night, shame about the M4 though :rolleyes:

:confused:
MJC was great - the evening dance was really busy lots of nice dancers too :yeah:

Thanks for the dances DJ - have to agree with the WCS lot - a bit snooty - they were refusing dances with really good dancers because they couldn't or wouldn't do WCS. What is the matter with them :angry: us girls should be thankful when there is a surplus of us. for a guy to ask us to dance, especially when they are good dancers :flower: Really missed Sheepy, where were you :tears: Graham's music is OK but nothing like the master :sad:

Thanks to Annalisa, Simon and the crew :clap: :hug: :kiss: :yeah:

timbp
13th-August-2006, 08:42 AM
:confused:
MJC was great - the evening dance was really busy lots of nice dancers too :yeah:

Thanks for the dances DJ - have to agree with the WCS lot - a bit snooty - they were refusing dances with really good dancers because they couldn't or wouldn't do WCS. What is the matter with them :angry: us girls should be thankful when there is a surplus of us. for a guy to ask us to dance, especially when they are good dancers :flower: Really missed Sheepy, where were you :tears: Graham's music is OK but nothing like the master :sad:

Thanks to Annalisa, Simon and the crew :clap: :hug: :kiss: :yeah:
Sounds like a good night. I'm sorry I couldn't be there.

Mary
13th-August-2006, 09:02 AM
Tyford was awesome. Not too crowded, even numbers, and some fabulous dancers. :worthy: :worthy: And great to have such a fun crowd from Bristol.:clap: :clap:

Amazing night. Thanks Bill and Bex, you guys did a great job.:respect: :respect: :hug:

M

David Bailey
13th-August-2006, 10:35 AM
I went to MJC. It was quieter than the last couple of times, probably because of the competition from the other events.

Two rooms, the main one and a "Blues and Swing" room - hah. "Blues"? Where the "$%^ was the Blues? Swing and Swing more like it :mad:

have to agree with the WCS lot - a bit snooty
No kidding - and I'm used to salsa vibes.... :rolleyes:

Although it was a lesson in humility to get refused twice in a row in that room for being An Interloper - but then Dizzy took pity on me and we had a lovely tango. :grin:

I dunno what it is about that room, but the vibes were just not friendly there. Had the same experience there last year, so maybe the place is just haunted or something... :eek:

Anyway, enough of the ranting - that aside, I actually had a good night, mainly in the main room. The music was fine, the floor was occasionally a bit sticky but not too bad, and it was very friendly with some lovely dancers.

The cabaret - well, blimey, I think that's the first time I've ever really enjoyed a cabaret. Two lovely shows, well-organised and slick. And all over in 15-20 minutes, giving a really good break from the dancing. Well done, guys :clap:

Suggestions for next time:

Think about a bit of gender-ratio control, it seems to be the way these things are going
Blues room. No excuses. Ideally, Latin room as well, like 2004.
A couple more signposts to the car park wouldn't have hurt.
Oh, and have the Mike Ellard / CeeCee Karate competition dance on as a an annual ticketed event... :whistle:

ElaineB
13th-August-2006, 12:07 PM
Tyford was awesome. Not too crowded, even numbers, and some fabulous dancers. :worthy: :worthy: And great to have such a fun crowd from Bristol.:clap: :clap:

Amazing night. Thanks Bill and Bex, you guys did a great job.:respect: :respect: :hug:

M

:clap: :clap: :clap:

A wonderful night with good music from Toby Won Kenobe and Dan the Man. Some lovely touches, inlcuding tea and cakes about 11.30pm.

As for the atmosphere, this is the most friendly of the venues that I have been to and some excellent dancers! :flower: Also absolutely no quibbles over refunding two tickets for two friends who couldn't make it.

Thank you Bill and Bex!

Elaine

Oh and Bill (from Scotland) - wonderful to see you again. :clap: Looks as though it will be another 6 months or so before I get another dance though! :sad:

Dan Hudson
13th-August-2006, 12:38 PM
ok, proper reply now I am more awake

Twyford was excellent.... :worthy:

Had some wonderful dances with Lilyb:drool: , sparkles, :awe: zebra:yum:, Lory and witty.... :drool: was dead gutted to miss out on dance with the rest fo you... but had to dash home.

Apologies to the ladies I danced with, I was a sweaty minger by the end:sick: !! for some reason, forgot a change of shirt... pillock:tears:

Some top tunes by TWK...

great ot see the Bristol lot in the house, unfortunately did not dance with any of them:tears: :tears:

next time... i will make sure I do!!!

looking forward to the next one:respect:

straycat
13th-August-2006, 01:10 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but sadly unimpressed by Twyford :(

Good things first: the music was fantastic, :clap: thank you to the DJs, any chance of a playlist? :)
The venue was great, nice floor, good size.
Had a few lovely dances.

A bit too crowded. Not by much, and it should have been fine, but too many people had appalling floorcraft :(
On just one dance (for example), on the main floor, my partner and I were walked into five times by people just walking across the floor. No apologies, - it was as if they were completely oblivious. On a couple of dances I was forced to spend more time keeping a wary eye out on the people around me than I was focussing on the dance :(
Saw quite a few quite dicey drops for those dancing conditions as well. People should know better :(

So not a total disaster**, but it could have been a lot better.

Stray
** It was worse for my SO, who was unlucky enough to get a succession of very rough leads right at the start, which spoiled things for her from the outset. We both believe that the lead should take care of the follower, rather than showing themselves off - far too little of that was happening in her evening's dancing.

Sorry to sound a bit negative here, but we've both gotten used to a lot more consideration from fellow dancers, and last night was something of a shock to the system.

Georgious dancer
13th-August-2006, 01:22 PM
Sounds like most people had good fun where ever they danced last night!

I went to Hammersmith - quieter than usual but that was to be expected, still had a fantastic night. Had some lovely dances with a lot of people that I hadn't seen for ages! Thanks to everyone I danced with. Roger C you have to be the cheekiest guy I know!

marty_baby
13th-August-2006, 01:27 PM
Twyford was brilliant! :nice:

Sharon, Anne and Becky's 1st time, believe it or not - They loved it too - We'll be back! :na:

Bit gutted we are not going to Funky Lush today - but reality check - We kinda danced ourselves into the ground last night... :rofl:

The music was outstanding as always - you london folk are sooooo lucky to have this every week... Whenever I come london way - its always "wow... I'm in heaven!" :D

Haven't really thought about it, but Twford is like a dance home from home - everyone is friendly at gets on, I didn't have one refusal all night :nice:

The dancers were all wonderful as always.... The girlies loved Simon_r in particular..... "Simon this, Simon that" on the way home :rofl:

Thank you to all you ladies for dances last night - and for putting up with my... ahem... at times... "juvenile" style of dancing - DWAS girls especially! :flower: :hug: :D

Martin
:cheers:

Sheepman
13th-August-2006, 01:32 PM
Really missed Sheepy, where were you :tears: Thanks Minnie, I was told by a friend on Tuesday that my name was on the website for DJing, but that was the first I'd heard of it! :eek: Too late, as I was already booked elsewhere, (and I presumed it was just the webpage was copied over from last year but not updated.)

Greg

WittyBird
13th-August-2006, 01:32 PM
Thank you to all you ladies for dances last night - and for putting up with my... ahem... at times... "juvenile" style of dancing

Sorry I couldn't stop laughing throughout our dances :eek:

I had a really good night at Twyford :drool:

The music was divine, the dancing was fab, didn't have one bad dance all night :clap:

Infact I had such a good night I'm off to Funky Lush and then on to Berko for more fab music and dancing :worthy:

Thanks Dale for singing to me on the way down, you had me howling with laughter :flower:

Alice
13th-August-2006, 02:24 PM
I also went to MJC and had a great night, though I was a bit tired after the workshops during the day! My feet hurt:tears:
It was great to get a chance to do so much west coast too... Yes, a lot of the music in that room was more wcs than jive music, but I thought the music later in the night was more bluesy...

Although it was a lesson in humility to get refused twice in a row in that room for being An Interloper
Sorry to hear you were refused- but in fairness, not all the west coasters there also do jive, and at least you got an honest answer! It's just the same as being turned down because someone dislikes the song...or because it's "not their style"...

The cabaret - well, blimey, I think that's the first time I've ever really enjoyed a cabaret. Two lovely shows, well-organised and slick.:yeah:

A massive well done to all who taught during the day as well- I really enjoyed Nathalie and Yuval's beginner lindy workshop in particular:), and Paul's WCS workshops too....

Mr Cool
13th-August-2006, 02:38 PM
Oh dear I think MJC have lost the plot i have been to the last 7 events and for sure my last.
It was the pits!
The Jive room was packed, the other room was almost empty.
WHY the music was so boring. :confused: ::eek: most of the men were doing step step miss the beat step step I can only conclude they were trying to slow the music down untill the men could get in beat.:confused: I have news for you these men will never feel the music (music is not part of their dance). they are totally tone deaf.:devil: Guys WCS can be danced to any music with 8 beats to the bar Try some faster music it will make following the music to the slow R&B easier. Why can't we have dance music? I don't care what era as long as it was designed for DANCING! Please play music for the dancers who live and breath to dance to chalenging interesting music. :flower: :flower: :flower: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Russell Saxby
13th-August-2006, 02:40 PM
:worthy: Another awesome night at Twyford...... well done Bill Bex and the rest of the team:respect:

will post more tomorrow

Wish I could have been there, but sadly other plans... :sad:

A cupid capsule on the London Eye was beckoning :D . Elaine & I had a whole pod to ourselves (well if you exclude the guy who served us champagne and chocolates). I resisted the urge to go down on one knee :awe:

Finished the evening off with a Italian meal :yum: and then off to see Blood Brothers :clap: :clap: - wish was just as fab second time round.

David Bailey
13th-August-2006, 06:10 PM
It was great to get a chance to do so much west coast too... Yes, a lot of the music in that room was more wcs than jive music, but I thought the music later in the night was more bluesy...
Ummm, don't think so - OK, it could be classed as "slower WCS", I guess, but that's a looong way from blues. I wouldn't mind, but the programme specifically stated "Swing and Blues", not "Swing, more Swing, and yet more Swing".

I guess MJC attracts the, err, swingers.

Sorry to hear you were refused- but in fairness, not all the west coasters there also do jive, and at least you got an honest answer!
Sure - honest and snooty :rolleyes:

Seriously, are there really WCS dancers who think Ceroc dancing is too difficult? :what:

straycat
13th-August-2006, 06:41 PM
Out of interest, anyone know:
who the couple were who won the Twyford DWAS,
What the slow track was in the DWAS final,

And still not really knowing many forumites, thank you Bec :flower: (not sure I deserved that +rep mind)but I don't know who you are to answer the question :blush: - maybe drop me a PM?

Minnie M
13th-August-2006, 07:51 PM
Sorry to hear you were refused- but in fairness, not all the west coasters there also do jive, and at least you got an honest answer! It's just the same as being turned down because someone dislikes the song...or because it's "not their style".......
Hmmm............ AFAIK all the WCS dancers started their dancing as MJ dancers with the exception of Paul Warden of course - so there was no excuse to refuse a dance (their loss though :rolleyes: )

BTW the music wasn't what I call swing ..... you certainly couldn't lindy to it :really: not sure what style you call the music ..... some of it was really slow, but not sure if you would call it blues :confused: - really missed Sheepy :tears:

However, the music and atmospher in the main hall was fab .... there were lots of happy and good dancers :clap: and the floor thinned out about 11:30 so we got another 90mins of dancing without being bashed and kicked :clap:

For those who may have been wondering - I wasn't on the door this year :flower:

Roll on Rebel Yell - not only Kyle & Sarah, but Annalisa has booked Ryan & Jenny too :yeah: :clap: :respect: :worthy: :clap: :yeah:

ElaineB
13th-August-2006, 08:19 PM

And still not really knowing many forumites, thank you Bec :flower: (not sure I deserved that +rep mind)but I don't know who you are to answer the question :blush: - maybe drop me a PM?

First were Danny (from Newberry, but competes with Jenny Harrison from Bristol) and the lovely Mary. :clap:

Second were Chocolate Bill and Bex (from Bristol) :clap:

Third Graham I think? sorry, can't remember the Ladies name (fab spinning move there Guys!) :clap:

Can't remember the track, sorry,

Elaine

Mary
13th-August-2006, 08:25 PM

The slow track in the final was Perfidia - lovely track. That mega-fast track was Don't Stop Me Now by Queen - great track but such a break-neck speed, apart from just trying to hang in there I laughed all the way through as we all must have looked a sight!

M

Divissima
13th-August-2006, 08:45 PM
Third Graham I think? sorry, can't remember the Ladies name (fab spinning move there Guys!) :clap: It was - Gladrags on the forum - and Mary (aka Just Wiggle!)

Congratulations to all those who got to the final - and especially to those who placed. The standard was very high :clap:

Toby wan Kenobe
13th-August-2006, 09:09 PM
Out of interest,

The Twyford DWAS final tracks were:
slow: Perfidia by John Altman from the Shall We Dance Soundtrack (http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=23708&a=1106132&url=http%3A%2F%2Fphobos.apple.com%2FWebObjects%2FM ZStore.woa%2Fwa%2FviewAlbum%3Fi%3D30906665%26id%3D 30906604%26s%3D143444%26partnerId%3D2003)
and fast: Don't Stop Me Now by McFly (http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=23708&a=1106132&url=http%3A%2F%2Fphobos.apple.com%2FWebObjects%2FM ZStore.woa%2Fwa%2FviewAlbum%3Fi%3D167214332%26id%3 D167214031%26s%3D143444%26partnerId%3D2003)

Big up for Bill and Bex, the Twyford Crew, all the workshop teachers and Dan 'The Daddy' Hudson for a great day and evening.

TwK
Dance music recommendations from www.amanteballo.com (http://www.amanteballo.com)

Mary
13th-August-2006, 10:14 PM
Ah. That version of Don't Stop Me Now must be a faster version than Queens'. :sick:

I love the idea of changing partners for each round. All my partners were 'strangers' in that I had never danced with any of them before, which made it all the more fun, so a big thank you to all the partners I danced with - I now have more people I know that I can go up and ask to dance. :flower: Although I'm not sure that Danny will ever want to dance with me again as he had quite a tough time leading me to 'that' track. :worthy:

M

Tazmanian Devil
13th-August-2006, 10:16 PM
Sounds like most people had good fun where ever they danced last night!
:yeah:
I had a quiet night in on me own with a DVD :sad: From the 4am phone call and the messages passes to me today I REALLY wish I had gone out :sad: Oh well Ashtons next week is calling my name :D

Roger C you have to be the cheekiest guy I know!
And you have only just realised this :rolleyes:

Rus I didn't realise youwere such the romantic :clap: Glad you and Elaine had a good time :clap:

ducasi
13th-August-2006, 10:25 PM
Ah. That version of Don't Stop Me Now must be a faster version than Queens'. :sick:I had a simply fantastic dance to that song on Tuesday. Best of the night maybe. :)

Missy D
13th-August-2006, 10:28 PM
I had such a good time at Twyford, good standard of dancers, great music, and yummy cookies. Sis came out too so we had a little bit of tone lowering around the Foxy one:rofl:

Dance with a stranger was great fun. Changing the partner through each round was a brilliant idea. Not sure who I got for round 1, 2nd round I had the lovely Bill (chocolate one I am told) what a great fun dancer he is. In the final I got my own dance partner Ray:rofl:

Best night I had for a while! thanks to all that organised it:clap: :clap: :clap:

WittyBird
14th-August-2006, 12:32 AM
Had a great time at Funky Lush earlier :D Unfortunately Fletch brought OXO's with her and he seemed a tad distracted while we were dancing :rolleyes:

Think it might be something to do with a newspaper article :rofl:

stewart38
14th-August-2006, 12:58 AM
Oh dear I think MJC have lost the plot i have been to the last 7 events and for sure my last.
It was the pits!
WHY the music was so boring. :confused: ::eek: most of the men were doing step step miss the beat step step I can only conclude they were trying to slow the music down untill the men could get in beat.:confused: I have news for you these men will never feel the music (music is not part of their dance). they are totally tone deaf.:devil: Guys WCS can be danced to any music with 8 beats to the bar Try some faster music it will make following the music to the slow R&B easier. Why can't we have dance music? I don't care what era as long as it was designed for DANCING! Please play music for the dancers who live and breath to dance to chalenging interesting music. :flower: :flower: :flower: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Is this a definition of a hotshot ?

under par
14th-August-2006, 07:52 AM
Is this a definition of a hotshot ?

Anyone who knows MR Cool knows that allegation is rubbish Stewart!:angry:

Minnie M
14th-August-2006, 08:00 AM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Andy is a great dancer and such fun to dance with and definetly absolutely no-way could you call him a hot shot

David Bailey
14th-August-2006, 08:32 AM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Andy is a great dancer and such fun to dance with and definetly absolutely no-way could you call him a hot shot
Well he's never asked me for a dance ... :sad:

Seriously, the point he was making was about the music, not the dancers. Funnily enough, I'd have preferred (some of) the music slower, not faster. It was mostly middle-of-the-road tempo I think, too fast for blues, too slow for MJ.

The WCS tempo is, I believe, 112-128 BPM, so I imagine it was reasonable for that genre.

Geordieed
14th-August-2006, 09:05 AM
It was the pits!

Thanks for the dance lesson.

Sounds like Mr Cool got a little hot under the colar.

stewart38
14th-August-2006, 09:46 AM

This is what the guy posted ,im sure he is not it SOUNDED hotshot thats all

WHY the music was so boring. : I have news for you these men will never feel the music (music is not part of their dance). they are totally tone deaf.:devil: Why can't we have dance music?

90% of men who dance ceroc believe it or not like boppy music and are not ‘tone death’

Ask the women who was asked ONCE at funky lush on Sunday to dance in 3hrs what she prefers

I wish people who have different taste would stop ridiculing others who lets face it are the bread and butter of ceroc/jive

LMC
14th-August-2006, 10:04 AM
Ask the women who was asked ONCE at funky lush on Sunday to dance in 3hrs what she prefers
And how many people did she ask for a dance?

Anyway, Twyford on Saturday:

The workshops were fantastic - has to be the best value day I've ever had outside a weekender. I must confess that I wish I'd had a lie in now - Bill's teaching was excellent and I didn't get yanked once - but I really really really loathe mangle moves - proof positive that height matters.

My left quads are still yelling at me after the Jango sweep move :blush: - but great class, and very entertaining

Shame that dips and drops 'clashed' with the style class, as I would have liked to have done both, but still a "good call" to offer the alternative to those who didn't want to do dips and drops. I picked the style class which was very useful - :respect: to the two brave men who joined in, even if they ran away in fear (and never came back) at the point where the rest of us were all lying flat on our back on the floor checking our, er, pelvic alignment :rofl:

Ballroom class - loved the foxtrot, think we were all a bit braindead by the time it got to the rumba :blush:

Only "negative" was the lack of hot water in the loos - cleaned up as best I could as many of us did... thank you very much to the very kind lady who offered use of her shower facilities after we'd only been chatting a couple of minutes! - but not enough time between end of workshop and DWAS. If day event is run again, perhaps some arrangements for bowls of hot water to be available for washing please? :flower:

Evening - unfortunately after 8 hours of workshops, I was knackered and fairly useless :cry: - so tired by 10.30 that I really had to bail - sorry I missed so many people for dances. An M4 AND and M25 closure made my normal 1 hour journey take 2 hours :sick: - but the day was worth it.

Had some fab dances before I bailed though - sorry I let you down in the DWAS Mooncalf (didn't help that one of my contact lenses had somehow folded itself in half and worked its way under my eyelid, terrible distraction! - but not really an excuse, I was still rubbidge). DWAS final - :rofl: - HILARIOUS - everyone looked like they were having such a laugh with that fast track (and I thought Mambo #5 in the semi was cruel!).

under par
14th-August-2006, 10:10 AM
This is what the guy posted ,im sure he is not it SOUNDED hotshot thats all

Well comment on what was said in the post, do not lower yourself to calling people names.

You last post at least challenged the content of Mr Cools post which is much preferable.

Lory
14th-August-2006, 10:11 AM
Just to be picky :D .........

I don't think someone being 'tone deaf' has any effect on their ability to hear rythmn :flower:

DavidB
14th-August-2006, 10:44 AM
The WCS tempo is, I believe, 112-128 BPM, so I imagine it was reasonable for that genre.
A normal range would be 80-130bpm. The slowest song I've ever seen WCS danced to was about 60 bpm. On the fast side I've danced to something about 140, but I'm hardly renowned for moving my feet quick.

However the music I used to play for teaching topped out at 105, and for freestyle 115. Most of the people doing WCS at the time were very new to it, and still had to think all the time about what they were doing, especially with their feet. The slower music gives time to think.

But, as with any dance, there is a limit to how much you can change the tempo without having to change the technique. Slow MJ isn't just fast MJ done slower. And fast WCS isn't just slow WCS speeded up. The connection changes. The leg action and body flight change. There is a lot more momentum to control. And far less time to react.

David Bailey
14th-August-2006, 10:49 AM
I don't think someone being 'tone deaf' has any effect on their ability to hear rythmn :flower:
Just to be more picky, it's "rhythm" :na: :rofl:

stewart38
14th-August-2006, 10:57 AM
And how many people did she ask for a dance?

she didn’t ask anyone like 30% of female cerocers

She can post if she likes (she has the address of this site)

Im not going down that route again :sad:

Bill
14th-August-2006, 11:33 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you Bill and Bex!

Elaine

Oh and Bill (from Scotland) - wonderful to see you again. :clap: Looks as though it will be another 6 months or so before I get another dance though! :sad:

Was great to see you again Elaine and thanks for the dance - lovely as usual. I had some really wonderful dances. Thanks to Mary and Tony for their hospitality and parenthood obviously agrees with Bill & Bex who were both looking great :grin:

Those fast tracks in DWAS almost killed me :eek: but thanks to my partners - who managed to keep dancing when I'd virtually stopped :whistle:. Must get to Bristol sometime - those girls know how to dance :D :cheers:

Fran had a great night too and she hasn't danced much for a while so thanks to all the guys who asked her and made her night so much fun.

Hope to see everyone again fairly soon - maybe the Scottish champs?????

Lory
14th-August-2006, 01:07 PM
Just to be more picky, it's "rhythm" :na: :rofl:
I was just checking to see if anyone was paying attention :whistle:

:rofl:

BTW, I agree with DavidB... the speed or tempo of the music definitely changes the style, even if your doing the same moves!

Missy D
14th-August-2006, 06:16 PM
Those fast tracks in DWAS almost killed me :eek: but thanks to my partners - who managed to keep dancing when I'd virtually stopped :whistle:

Lovely to dance with you too Bill - thought we danced really well together in the 2nd heat:worthy:

Minnie M
14th-August-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the dances DJ - have to agree with the WCS lot - a bit snooty .........
BTW I should have thanked Georgied :worthy: for a fabby WCS dance (two dances in fact) - and he wasn't snooty at all, I saw him dance with all the ladies :clap:

Mr Cool
14th-August-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks Linda, Under par and David :cheers: :cheers:
For Me and Many others Music is King I need music to motivate me to dance. I like slow fast and medium paced music I want to dance to Swing Blues, HIp Hop, Soul, Tango, Latin, Rock & roll. & Modern, I hate to categorise music but lets have music YOU JUST HAVE TO DANCE TO I need variety (I hate boring big band music all night as well) Regarding WCS I have seen Paul Warden :respect: and USA couples dance WCS to fast music. it is surprising the range of music you can dance Lindy or even AT to.
So why do Dancers want to restrict their dancing to slow R&B music.:confused: :confused:
By the way David the next time Sing sing comes on i promise to grab you to dance WCS should be a laugh. PS are airsteps allowed

:waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

David Bailey
14th-August-2006, 07:57 PM
By the way David the next time Sing sing comes on i promise to grab you to dance WCS should be a laugh. PS are airsteps allowed
OK, I'll err... make sure I remember that... :whistle:

Lory
14th-August-2006, 08:05 PM
So why do Dancers want to restrict their dancing to slow R&B music.:confused: :confused:

I imagine your talking about WCS dancers?

Well, I've only been doing West coast since January, therefore, I 'need' the slower music to do it properly, if I try to dance it to faster music, I automatically revert to MJ mode :rolleyes:

Plus, one of the things that attracted me to wcs, was the music :)

But like you, I also like lot's of different genre's and love trying to dance differents styles to suit, so I agree, a good mix is the recipe for my perfect evening.:grin:

Geordieed
15th-August-2006, 09:39 AM
BTW I should have thanked Georgied :worthy: for a fabby WCS dance (two dances in fact) - and he wasn't snooty at all, I saw him dance with all the ladies :clap:

No thank you Minnie. It was great to dance with you again so soon. It is nice to have a play in the dance too. I'm looking forward to our next dance. We could have done with a few more men in the Swing room. It was great to be kept so busy on the night and only realised how tired I was once the music stopped at the end of the night. I only heard positives from people on the night. Natalie and Yuval both said how much they enjoyed coming over for the event. Both of them social danced in the Swing room in the evening.

All the women I know who come to weekly WCS classes that I have met are really lovely and have been really surprised by the 'snooty' label. There were a couple of women who didn't know MJ and were attracted at the prospect of going to an event where they could dance WCS.

I know the crowd that go to classes with and they are so warm and friendly and it is one of the reasons why I like going every week. I've also seen new people joining in the classes been equally welcomed. Very few of the WCS crowd come on or use this forum so won't be aware of the comments made. I know they would be horrified by the 'snooty' label. Give them a chance they are not bad people. On a slightly different topic I do know that dancers have stayed on the edge of a Swing/Blues room feeling intimidated by the dancers there.

David Bailey
15th-August-2006, 10:41 AM
All the women I know who come to weekly WCS classes that I have met are really lovely and have been really surprised by the 'snooty' label.
Sorry, but that's the vibe I got from a few people there - and it only takes a few people to change the atmosphere of a room. For what it's worth, the vibe in that room was much worse last year - I only stayed there 10 minutes last time.

There were a couple of women who didn't know MJ and were attracted at the prospect of going to an event where they could dance WCS.
Fair point - but clearly that means that us mere mortals will be excluded... Also, I would be amazed and astonished if I couldn't lead a WCS dancer to MJ (I guess what really annoyed me was being labelled a "Ceroc dancer" - what did I do to deserve that tag? :tears: )

I know the crowd that go to classes with and they are so warm and friendly and it is one of the reasons why I like going every week. I've also seen new people joining in the classes been equally welcomed. Very few of the WCS crowd come on or use this forum so won't be aware of the comments made. I know they would be horrified by the 'snooty' label. Give them a chance they are not bad people.
Yes they are! They're all Evil!! All of them!!! Burn Them!!!!

OK, I'm certainly not saying WCS dancers are snooty, of course - but a few dancers in that room were. It just wasn't as friendly as the main room. Doesn't mean everyone there was unfriendly, of course - most were lovely. But it only takes a few snooty-ers :)

On a slightly different topic I do know that dancers have stayed on the edge of a Swing/Blues room feeling intimidated by the dancers there.
I guess it's a case of poor labelling. It wasn't a Swing / Blues room, it was a Swing / Swing room. So I was hanging around waiting for the Blues bit, which never happened, until I gave up and went back to the main room - which, as it turns out, was very nice, so I stayed there mostly. If the room had been advertised as a "Swing room, nothing else", I'd just have stayed clear. But it wasn't.

(And why oh why oh why do we have these "Swing and Blues" rooms? Blues is nothing like Swing, *** - why not have a "Pole-Dancing and Tango" room whilst we're at it... :mad: )

spikey blond
15th-August-2006, 11:23 AM
I am one of the 'snooty' WCS dancers who does contribute sometimes to the Forum. Saturday evening was a joy for WCSers as it is rare to get a venue where we can have any freestyle other than at the end of weekly classes, which is always limited. I would never refuse to dance if asked but some folk may have felt that it was a shame to dance MJ in the 'Swing/Blues room' when there was a great room across the hall where jive music was being played.
Contrary to popular belief some WCS dancers have not come up through the ranks of MJ and may have felt very intimidated at the prospect of dancing MJ with a stranger no matter how good a lead that person might have been.

It is a shame ( and I am sure I am guilty of this too) to categorize some dancers as 'snooty' or 'unfriendly' at venues when in reality it is just that they are there with a crowd of close friends who really enjoy dancing together. Let's face it there are always particular tracks that you enjoy dancing with specific dancers whose style you especially enjoy and in the course of the evening it is not always possible to get round to all the potential partners. I have been to venues that I have thought initially unfriendly but within a short space of time have realised that my first impressions were wrong and ended up thoroughly enjoying the venue. You have to get out there and 'bond'!!:nice:

It is also worth pointing out that Ceroc Surrey actively promotes WCS as a dance in as much as Anneliese runs two regular venues, Farnham and Esher and so may have felt that she owed it to her supporters to offer them a fair chunk of the evening's music. The set that was played once Graham finished (sorry didn't recognise the DJ) was definitely not WCSable and to my mind was far more Blues orientated but I must admit it was only fairly late in the evening.

I would like to thank Graham for the great set he played that evening:clap: - I had a thoroughly good night both in the MJ room and the Swing room.:clap: :clap: Mind you I am very sorry to have missed Twyford - one of my favourite venues as the day/evening there sounds as if it was a blast - shame the two events coincided:sad: :sad: Always next month!!!

clevedonboy
15th-August-2006, 12:25 PM
Contrary to popular belief some WCS dancers have not come up through the ranks of MJ and may have felt very intimidated at the prospect of dancing MJ with a stranger no matter how good a lead that person might have been.

A very good point - the class I attend is run by a Line Dancer. In the last class I went to less than half the people dance MJ at all. I wouldn't expect any of the "other half" to be able to lead / follow MJ, even though there as some people who seem to be able to work out how to adapt their style to MJ very quickly, just by watching.

When I'm at a dance, for each song I think can I Lindy? if not can I WCS? and then oh well MJ it is then. Clearly this limits my choice of partner (severely so around here). But I will have a bash with people who ask for a dance, so I hope I don't come over as (too?) snooty

Simon
15th-August-2006, 02:59 PM
OK, I'm certainly not saying WCS dancers are snooty, of course - but a few dancers in that room were. It just wasn't as friendly as the main room.If you saw people frowning could be that it was because they were all concentrating on the counting going on in their heads. That's my excuse! :blush:

David Bailey
15th-August-2006, 04:16 PM
I am one of the 'snooty' WCS dancers who does contribute sometimes to the Forum. Saturday evening was a joy for WCSers as it is rare to get a venue where we can have any freestyle other than at the end of weekly classes, which is always limited.
I saw you! And I said "Hi" - you were probably too snooty to dance with me though :devil:

I would never refuse to dance if asked but some folk may have felt that it was a shame to dance MJ in the 'Swing/Blues room' when there was a great room across the hall where jive music was being played.
Fair enough - but did you notice the complete and utter lack of anything vaguely resembling a blues set in the swing/blues room?

It is a shame ( and I am sure I am guilty of this too) to categorize some dancers as 'snooty' or 'unfriendly' at venues when in reality it is just that they are there with a crowd of close friends who really enjoy dancing together.
As has been said many times, 'snooty' or 'unfriendly' is one of those judgements which is only valid from the outside. I've yet to meet a member of any group who says "yeah, actually, we are a clique" :whistle:

The main room was friendlier than the Swing room - that's what I felt, and I think most people who'd tried both would agree.

The set that was played once Graham finished (sorry didn't recognise the DJ) was definitely not WCSable and to my mind was far more Blues orientated but I must admit it was only fairly late in the evening.
Hmmm.... I don't believe it was Blues, it was "slower" maybe, but certainly way too fast for AT (which is my definition of the Right Music For Blues of course :) ) Admittedly, I wasn't there all the time, but I went back there at least half-a-dozen times after 11pm to check, and none of it felt blue-y to me.

spikey blond
15th-August-2006, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=DavidJames]I saw you! And I said "Hi" - you were probably too snooty to dance with me though :devil: [QUOTE]

Sorry DavidJames, haven't yet managed to put toooo many faces to Forumites, so I don't know who you are :blush: - hope I said 'Hi' back!!:flower:

David Bailey
15th-August-2006, 04:36 PM
Sorry DavidJames, haven't yet managed to put toooo many faces to Forumites, so I don't know who you are :blush: - hope I said 'Hi' back!!:flower:
Nah, you ignored me - but hell, I expected that from you snooty people... :devil: :whistle:

Alice
15th-August-2006, 04:37 PM
I saw you! And I said "Hi" - you were probably too snooty to dance with me though :devil:

You didn't ask me for a dance:whistle: :whistle:
:tears:

David Bailey
15th-August-2006, 04:44 PM
You didn't ask me for a dance:whistle: :whistle: :tears:
Well, obviously, I was joining in with the clique and practicing being snooty...

Anyway - :respect: to Minnie M for sorting out the cakes at the end!

And I grabbed a coffee before the machine broke, so :clap: to me too...

Alice
15th-August-2006, 04:45 PM
Well, obviously, I was joining in with the clique and practicing being snooty...

Anyway - :respect: to Minnie M for sorting out the cakes at the end!

And I grabbed a coffee before the machine broke, so :clap: to me too...
I probably would have been too snooty to accept, anyway:yum:

:yeah: for the biscuits at the end though:) Just what we needed:clap:

Dreamer
15th-August-2006, 06:14 PM
There was cake?!:tears:

Mr Cool
15th-August-2006, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=Lory]I imagine your talking about WCS dancers?

Well, I've only been doing West coast since January, therefore, I 'need' the slower music to do it properly, if I try to dance it to faster music, I automatically revert to MJ mode :rolleyes:

Lory you are a great dancer :respect:
I know with the right lead you can dance westcoast to faster music
Personally i prefer to mix dance styles if it fits the music, where does westcoast end and lindy or MJ begin.
I think people get way to concerned about what type of dance they are doing. for me and many others dance is simply about interpretation of music. :waycool: :waycool: :cheers: :cheers:

Minnie M
15th-August-2006, 06:57 PM
There was cake?!:tears:
:rofl: there wasn't any cake (well except for some cup-cakes) just a very large selection of very yummy biscuits :drool:

Puddy Tat
15th-August-2006, 07:29 PM
Was great to see you again Elaine and thanks for the dance - lovely as usual. I had some really wonderful dances. Thanks to Mary and Tony for their hospitality and parenthood obviously agrees with Bill & Bex who were both looking great :grin:

Those fast tracks in DWAS almost killed me :eek: but thanks to my partners - who managed to keep dancing when I'd virtually stopped :whistle:. Must get to Bristol sometime - those girls know how to dance :D :cheers:

Fran had a great night too and she hasn't danced much for a while so thanks to all the guys who asked her and made her night so much fun.

Hope to see everyone again fairly soon - maybe the Scottish champs?????

Twyford was a great night, thank you Bill and Bex. It was lovely to meet you Bill and I hope it won't be too long before you're down South again so we can have some more Fab dances!!!:clap: :clap:

:kiss: :hug:

David Bailey
15th-August-2006, 07:50 PM
:rofl: there wasn't any cake
Absolutely.

There was no cake.

Definitely.

:innocent:

Bill
16th-August-2006, 07:10 PM
Twyford was a great night, thank you Bill and Bex. It was lovely to meet you Bill and I hope it won't be too long before you're down South again so we can have some more Fab dances!!!:clap: :clap:

:kiss: :hug:

It was my pleasure PT :flower: - and sorry it took about 3 attempts before I picked up the correct pronunciation :blush: . And not every Scottish dancer is called Bill - but there are a few of us around!!!! :D