PDA

View Full Version : Names for spins and turns...

jiveoholic
3rd-July-2006, 06:45 PM
Whilst on a mission to document all the unique "essences" of moves, I stumbled upon a problem - naming spins and turns.

I like to use well known jive terms where necessary - we all know what a basket is, what an arm-jive feels like - even a butterfly, however there are a number of terms for spins and turns:

Turn: Lady turned clockwise using pressure on her right hand at shoulder height
Push-spin: Lady spun clockwise using pressure on her right hand shoulder level
Lady-spin: Lady spun clockwise using pressure on her right hand at waist level
Wurlitzer: Lady spun anti-clockwise using pressure on her left hand at waist level
Return: Lady turned anti-clockwise using a PULL on her right hand.

There are of course more complicated turns combined with exchanging places including the archi-spin, step-across etc.

Now - if one defines a spin as a turn that gives up the connection, there are 4 pure spins and 4 pure turns (of the lady). For each, there is clockwise and anti-clockwise and either a compressive start with the hand the will be ahead when turning or a pull with the hand that will be behind.

So, 2 and 3 above are really very similar - "compressive clockwise" and the wurlitzer is "compressive anti-clockwise", the spin version of the turn in 1. A compression start is nice as it allows the girl to turn/spin herself. It seems that turn and spin are clockwise. In contrast a return is a "dragged affair", necessary though.

What about the spin at the end of the catapult? This is a pull clockwise. How about turning a lady anti-clockwise with pressure on her left hand - probably feels most wierd!

What about a man-spin? Not only is it a pathetic attempt of a spin - more of a change of places really, it is anti-clockwise! It seems that jive terminology might not be consistent enough to use.

HAVE YOU GOT THIS FAR?!......NEARLY THERE....

Do any of the dancing experts here know of posh dance terms to define spins/turns, particularly whether they refer to clockwise or anti-clockwise and are initiated by compression or tension?

I am tempted to use spin (CW) and anti-spin (ACW) , turn (CW) and return (ACW) and and use the modifier "pull" when the "wrong hand" is used for the first 3 and "pull" is one performs a return by pressure on the left hand.

A catapult would therefore be defined as two essences "catapult" and "pull-spin". A first move would be "first move", "turn", "return".

Comments?

MartinHarper
3rd-July-2006, 07:40 PM
How about turning a lady anti-clockwise with pressure on her left hand - probably feels most wierd!

I sometimes lead this as a send out from a sway. It does seem to catch some folks by surprise, though that might be the way I'm leading it. Never seen it taught.

FirstMove
4th-July-2006, 12:05 AM
I've always wanted there to a signal that means swap-sides. All moves are now danced with left/right reversed. This will cause all of the missing spins/turns to appear.

Of course, this is probably leadable anyway, so long as the follower always offers the left hand after spins :eek:. Each basic move then finishes with a turn :p

Combine this with a lead swap to the follower for added fun :devil:

jiveoholic
4th-July-2006, 01:11 AM
All moves are now danced with left/right reversed. This will cause all of the missing spins/turns to appear.
Now this surprises me! I have done mirror moves as a Christmas special, along with swap the leader etc......but I thought it was one of those rules of the universe - Like there is more matter than anti-matter....that dance was not rotationally symmetric. However your point is well taken about causing the missing spins/turns to appear, should this be true.

johnthehappyguy
13th-July-2006, 12:36 AM
Whilst on a mission to document all the unique "essences" of moves,.......Comments?

Best of luck,

I know a lot of dancers really appreciate your achievements on your excellent dance moves site.~ www.jiveoholic.org.uk

John:nice:

Nick M
13th-July-2006, 09:18 AM
I sometimes lead this as a send out from a sway. It does seem to catch some folks by surprise, though that might be the way I'm leading it. Never seen it taught.

I've seen it taught in Bristol as a lead into a free spin under the name "Tornado sway", by Viktor as a lead into a wrap behind the back, and by Roy and Yuko as a lead into a wrap to the side and lean. It's a bugger to lead - you have to do some pretty obvious preparation in the sway back, and even then most ladies don't give the necessary arm tension

drathzel
13th-July-2006, 02:17 PM
I've always wanted there to a signal that means swap-sides. All moves are now danced with left/right reversed. This will cause all of the missing spins/turns to appear.

Of course, this is probably leadable anyway, so long as the follower always offers the left hand after spins :eek:. Each basic move then finishes with a turn :p

Combine this with a lead swap to the follower for added fun :devil:

i lead so often, i sometimes forget and offer my left, or if a man touches my left arm when spinning and stuff i automatically offer it but have my right ready in case it was an accident

FirstMove
13th-July-2006, 02:39 PM
i lead so often, i sometimes forget and offer my left, or if a man touches my left arm when spinning and stuff i automatically offer it but have my right ready in case it was an accident

Next time we dance I'll shout "Reverse" and see what happens :devil:

drathzel
13th-July-2006, 03:10 PM
Next time we dance I'll shout "Reverse" and see what happens :devil:

Oh dear, you never know what i'll offer!

Andreas
15th-July-2006, 11:09 AM
It's a bugger to lead - you have to do some pretty obvious preparation in the sway back, and even then most ladies don't give the necessary arm tension
Not really that difficult. It takes some practice but really all you need to do is bring the left lady's hand (straight arm) just behind her shoulder line and, if in doubt, have her so close that your chest actually presses against her left shoulder. If you are making this a one'hand move (left-left) then give her a gentle check on her left shoulder with your right hand. I do a lot of left-left leads (blame it on Salsa) and don't usually have any problems with the lady's mis-reading the leads. So it really is only a matter of practice. What you need to make sure is that the lady is putting her weight on her left foot and the foot is turned towards the direction she is going to be turned (or straight). This can be achieved by pulling gently at the left hand. :flower: