PDA

View Full Version : Are shorts ever acceptable?

Tom_L
3rd-July-2006, 04:02 PM
How hgh does the mercury have to climb before a Ceroc-ing man can attire himself in shorts?

Is it utterly forbidden? A neccessary evil at certain times of the year?

Piglet
3rd-July-2006, 04:04 PM
Go for it!

I've worn shorts before at summer time parties :D
OK I'm a girl, but I don't see what difference it should make - I'd dance with you:D

Dreamer
3rd-July-2006, 04:14 PM
I'd say the same rules apply to men as to women, which are that shorts are fine as long as:

1) You've got the legs for them
2) You're prepared to get the fake tan out if you're too pasty!
3) They're a flattering cut/style
4) They're not cycling shorts:sick:

Twirly
3rd-July-2006, 04:14 PM
It's fine - so long as you don't wear sandals with socks to dance in! Ugh :what:

Actually, you might need to give footwear a bit more thought and how it goes with the shorts, though not sure what would look good or not. Are you going to post a picture with yourself in shorts/dancing gear?

fletch
3rd-July-2006, 04:16 PM
personally I don't like them, on a man that is,:sick: but I like to see men make an effort, shirt and trousers or fashionable 't' shirt and jeans:clap:

MartinHarper
3rd-July-2006, 04:17 PM
Baggy trousers are better at hiding bad dance technique, so if you care about looking better than you are, don't wear shorts. Wearing shorts will make some folks get hot under the collar. Mostly folks who aren't wearing shorts.

LMC
3rd-July-2006, 04:25 PM
And bear in mind that if you're doing blues in hot weather, one layer of material between your, er, inner thigh and your partner's is required, unless you know them well enough that neither of you mind losing the top layer of skin :sick:

Shorts are OK as long as a) they aren't too short b) the socks/footwear don't look silly with them and c) your legs don't look horribly knobbly

MartinHarper
3rd-July-2006, 04:29 PM
And bear in mind that if you're doing blues in hot weather, one layer of material between your, er, inner thigh and your partner's is required, unless you know them well enough that neither of you mind losing the top layer of skin :sick:

Though, oddly, I've never heard anyone raise that issue when watching two women in skirts bluesing together.

Feelingpink
3rd-July-2006, 04:31 PM
Under certain circumstances, shorts on a guy are fine, but you do have to be careful with footwear. I don't have all the answers as to what works and what doesn't, but Mr Saxby usually manages to get the combi right with longish lightweight shorts. Perhaps he could advise?

Cruella
3rd-July-2006, 04:36 PM
Surely it's up to you what you want to wear! Would you have a thread asking if a low cut top or red trousers were acceptable? As long as you're not dancing naked any attire is acceptable. Maybe you should retitle to ' Do men look attractive in shorts' cos surely thats what you really want to know :devil:

David Bailey
3rd-July-2006, 04:36 PM
[fast show]
Shorts? On men? Dancing? Whatever were they thinking?
[/fast show]

mikeyr
3rd-July-2006, 04:53 PM
[fast show]
Shorts? On men? Dancing? Whatever were they thinking?
[/fast show]

:rofl: :rofl: :yeah:

Shorts for dancing...... Surely not, dont do it. Unless its a Hawaiian beach party.... in Hawaii.

ToeTrampler
3rd-July-2006, 05:06 PM
More of a 'Pint' man myself :cheers:

fletch
3rd-July-2006, 06:01 PM
Surely it's up to you what you want to wear! Would you have a thread asking if a low cut top or red trousers were acceptable? As long as you're not dancing naked any attire is acceptable. Maybe you should retitle to ' Do men look attractive in shorts' cos surely thats what you really want to know :devil:
:yeah:

Donna
3rd-July-2006, 06:05 PM
How hgh does the mercury have to climb before a Ceroc-ing man can attire himself in shorts?

Is it utterly forbidden? A neccessary evil at certain times of the year?

I say YES it is utterly forbidden!! It really doesn't do anything for me, unless they have footballers legs of course. :drool: Nah seriously though, I think if a man is going to wear his shorts to go dancing, then please please have some sense guys, and wear your dance trainers with them, not your jive/latin shoes. :sick:

SilverFox
3rd-July-2006, 06:26 PM
I say YES it is utterly forbidden!! Pah!

..and Pah! again.

Why shouldn't the anti-shorts brigade have to endure seeing my dodgy legs for a few weeks a year?

I mean after all, I have to look at some right ugly munters on the dance floor all year round...:eek: :sick:

Ceroc balaclavas anyone?....:devil:

Zebra Woman
3rd-July-2006, 06:40 PM
Pah!

I mean after all, I have to look at some right ugly munters on the dance floor all year round...:eek: :sick:

:eek:

Or perhaps a Ceroc drawstring bag? :devil: :devil:

Then if your partner is back leading/sabotaging too much you could draw a little tighter on the string?

Just a thought.:innocent:

FWIW I like men in shorts, if it helps to to keep them dancing in the heat.

My first post ever was to that effect, and I still stand by it. It's men in vests that get my goat. Especially when they lead neck breakers that lead to sweaty smelly hairy armpits totally drenching my shoulder. Yeugh!!:sick: :sick: :sick:

ZW

Donna
3rd-July-2006, 06:41 PM
Pah!

..and Pah! again.

Why shouldn't the anti-shorts brigade have to endure seeing my dodgy legs for a few weeks a year?

Well, I've seen a picture of you in your shorts before and er.. you don't have dodgy ones at all!!! :wink: In fact, you've got footballers legs!!!! :drool: :grin:

johnthehappyguy
3rd-July-2006, 06:45 PM
I have worn shorts to classes on two occaisons.

Both had surprising results.

The first time I had my thigh groped.

The second time something much more unusual happened.:wink:

John:nice: :wink: :waycool:

Donna
3rd-July-2006, 06:51 PM

Way hey, you'll be sorry you mentioned this bit now. TELL ALL!!!! :clap:

stewart38
3rd-July-2006, 07:03 PM

You can look a twat in shorts (men who dress for tennis when they dance in the evening) if you like, but i dont find them 'acceptable'. There is enough stuff around i can look twatish in :grin:

Dancing naked some may find it 'acceptable' so not sure what the point is ?

Cruella
3rd-July-2006, 07:14 PM
You can look a twat in shorts (men who dress for tennis when they dance in the evening) if you like, but i dont find them 'acceptable'. There is enough stuff around i can look twatish in :grin:

Naked dancing, would i guess, be offensive to most people, and probably be illegal in a public place. How can shorts not be acceptable? (even if the guy looks a twat in them) and i'm sure you do Stewart, it is an item of clothing so therefore acceptable attire. Just as any other item of clothing would be.
You're just sounding shortist now!

littlewiggle
3rd-July-2006, 07:45 PM
Some shorts look nice - combat ones for example! Hate socks with them tho' guys - that is the biggest sin and if you have legs like two bits of cotton - forget it! I like to dance with people who have made an effort to look nice - it is a social activity after all.

MartinHarper
3rd-July-2006, 08:14 PM
It's men in vests that get my goat. Especially when they lead neck breakers that lead to sweaty smelly hairy armpits totally drenching my shoulder.

Vests + Dancing = Shave your armpits.

foxylady
3rd-July-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, I've seen a picture of you in your shorts before and er.. you don't have dodgy ones at all!!! :wink: In fact, you've got footballers legs!!!! :drool: :grin:

You are joking ! Vince - footballers legs ??? I've seen more muscle on a chicken :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Boy I am in so much trouble :drool: )

Baruch
3rd-July-2006, 11:26 PM
All this talk about whether it looks good or is socially acceptable to dance in shorts seems a bit daft to me, given the current weather. I'm not normally one for dancing in shorts, and I don't think it looks that great either -- but in the kind of heat we've been having recently (the temperature reached 31 degrees outside my school today - I and one of my pupils measured it), if it comes down to a choice between dancing in shorts or stopping early because of dehydration or heat exhaustion, I'll go for the shorts any time. Whether or not they look good is way down on my list of priorities, well below keeping cool and staying healthy.

Yogi_Bear
3rd-July-2006, 11:34 PM
No.....!

Beowulf
4th-July-2006, 12:08 AM
Freya saw my legs on Saturday at her BBQ.. and they are not suitable for public appearances .. even with the fake tan.. actually ESPECIALLY because of the fake tan (ill concieved advice from my ex. put it this way may not be good for Ceroc.. but would be excellent for Tango.. I looked as if my legs had been tangoed!)

DavidB
4th-July-2006, 01:05 AM
No. Absolutely not. Especially when worn by Will, with Hong Kong Phooey socks and patent leather dance shoes. :sick:

Cruella
4th-July-2006, 08:44 AM
You are joking ! Vince - footballers legs ??? I've seen more muscle on a chicken :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Boy I am in so much trouble :drool: )
I know your game missy, you just want to be chastised! :wink:

Missy D
4th-July-2006, 08:59 AM
I know your game missy, you just want to be chastised! :wink:

My game?

I dont really like to see men in shorts at dance especially with 'Jesus' sandals and socks:sick: However, during this heatwave I cant blame men for wearing them. Would appreciate men wearing underwear though as I got an eyeful during a drop at Chiswick Saturday night:blush:

Twirly
4th-July-2006, 10:09 AM

Hmm, is this a new venture for Ceroc you've come up with Stewart - naturist Ceroc?! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The mind boggles...

Piglet
4th-July-2006, 10:12 AM
Donna and I are waiting.... :whistle:

Stuart M
4th-July-2006, 10:41 AM
Apparently, at some venues it is acceptable for blokes to wear jeans rolled to halfway up their calves. So I've heard. And seen. And been utterly mystified by, to be honest :confused: .

LemonCake
4th-July-2006, 11:08 AM
Would appreciate men wearing underwear though as I got an eyeful during a drop at Chiswick Saturday night:blush:

Are shorts any more or less acceptable than kilts? There's still leg showing after all, and even more potential for unexpected displays! :innocent: Or is it the casual factor rather than the flesh on display that makes them inappropriate?

PS This is my first ever posting on the forum - hello world!

Feelingpink
4th-July-2006, 11:13 AM
Are shorts any more or less acceptable than kilts? There's still leg showing after all, and even more potential for unexpected displays! :innocent: Or is it the casual factor rather than the flesh on display that makes them inappropriate?

PS This is my first ever posting on the forum - hello world!Hello LC and welcome. Does the content of this post mean that you're Scottish?:hug: And are you 'related' to CookieGirl who joined two days earlier than you?

David Franklin
4th-July-2006, 11:19 AM
Apparently, at some venues it is acceptable for blokes to wear jeans rolled to halfway up their calves. So I've heard. And seen. And been utterly mystified by, to be honest :confused: .Yeuch! - I've been at venues where the floor was wet with condensation dripping from the roof, but never to the extent where you had to roll up your trousers! :eek:

LemonCake
4th-July-2006, 11:25 AM
Hello LC and welcome. Does the content of this post mean that you're Scottish?:hug: And are you 'related' to CookieGirl who joined two days earlier than you?

Hello! Not Scottish but at home in Glasgow. Have danced with several kilts and find that if I'm wearing trousers I get 'flare envy' (I do like a good twirl) and if I'm wearing a skirt there's a clash of hems! :D

No relation to the CookieGirl - lemon cake is my speciality but I'm a baking tart, I'll try my hand at anything! :drool:

Donna
4th-July-2006, 11:25 AM
Donna and I are waiting.... :whistle:

:yeah: Still waiting...patiently. *tick tick tick*

straycat
4th-July-2006, 11:26 AM
I have worn shorts to classes on rare occasions. But then - I've also gone barefoot to classes (sunburnt feet are bad enough at the best of times, but during a weekender? Ouch).

During social dancing though? No, no, no, no and no. Never. Not even with legs as good as mine :cool:

Donna
4th-July-2006, 11:27 AM
Hello! Not Scottish but at home in Glasgow. Have danced with several kilts and find that if I'm wearing trousers I get 'flare envy' (I do like a good twirl) and if I'm wearing a skirt there's a clash of hems! :D

No relation to the CookieGirl - lemon cake is my speciality but I'm a baking tart, I'll try my hand at anything! :drool:

Well thank you very much for mentioning lemoncake! It's my favourite! :drool: and...I have some for lunch...but to be honest...don't think I can wait until then!:grin:

Feelingpink
4th-July-2006, 11:36 AM

No relation to the CookieGirl - lemon cake is my speciality but I'm a baking tart, I'll try my hand at anything! :drool:Ahhhh. You may just find yourself very popular with Sheepman. His fave cake is also lemon. Sorry - hijack over - back to shorts.

LemonCake
4th-July-2006, 11:37 AM
Well thank you very much for mentioning lemoncake! It's my favourite! :drool: and...I have some for lunch...but to be honest...don't think I can wait until then!:grin:

Well I just scoffed a slice of banana loaf posted to me - with birthday candle - by my sister :clap: :drool: :grin:

Donna
4th-July-2006, 11:47 AM
Well I just scoffed a slice of banana loaf posted to me - with birthday candle - by my sister :clap: :drool: :grin:

Aaaah so it's your birthday today? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Here have some balloons6004

and some 6005 :wink:

LemonCake
4th-July-2006, 11:56 AM
Aaaah so it's your birthday today? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Here have some balloons6004

and some 6005 :wink:

Thank you! :flower:

Actually it was on Sunday but the parcel was late and then I had to fetch it from the sorting office this morning... but it means the fun is spread out for longer! :cheers:

PACKET MIX?! I'm shocked! :yum: I'll have to treat you to a slice of homemade, once tasted you'll never go back :na: The birthday cake was chocolate-chestnut with raspberries & whipped cream (just in case you're interested :grin: )

stewart38
4th-July-2006, 12:09 PM
Hmm, is this a new venture for Ceroc you've come up with Stewart - naturist Ceroc?! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The mind boggles...

Point Im making not very well again

People can wear a batman top and shorts and go to the Ashtons black and white do that’s up to them

I personally don’t find it ‘acceptable’ but its ok as I don’t run the door

Ps I have very good legs ive been told so maybe I could be persuaded other wise

Also think big difference if your on a dance holiday so maybe I shut up now

Donna
4th-July-2006, 12:20 PM
PACKET MIX?! I'm shocked! :yum: I'll have to treat you to a slice of homemade, once tasted you'll never go back :na:

:drool: Yes please! :drool:

The birthday cake was chocolate-chestnut with raspberries & whipped cream (just in case you're interested :grin: )

ok stop!!! :drool:

Seeing this thread is about shorts being acceptable or not, I thought it would be a great idea to start off another thread on cake (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=249539#post249539)

Piglet
4th-July-2006, 02:49 PM
:yeah: Still waiting...patiently. *tick tick tick*
A PM would be acceptable... :wink:

Donna
4th-July-2006, 05:18 PM
A PM would be acceptable... :wink:

:yeah: Totally agree! Come ooooonnnn....we're still waiting...:D