PDA

View Full Version : Chiswick freestyle

David Bailey
2nd-July-2006, 08:19 PM
OK, I've tried this twice now, but for some reason it's just not working for me.

I dunno why - it's a two-room venue, good location some reasonable dancers, there's no real reason I can pinpoint... I had some nice dances, but at the end of the day it wasn't really something I'd repeat. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't wonderful either.

Whereas a venue like Berko on Sunday (similar size, two-room venue), despite being at the back of beyond and only 90 minutes of freestyle, is just lovely (again, for me). Why is that?

Is it just me being picky? Was it just the heat? What did other people think?

LMC
2nd-July-2006, 09:13 PM
Chiswick is a "no go" for me from this time forth. I didn't enjoy the first one and left early, but thought I'd give the place another chance.

The venue is just

too

damn

hot.

I can't dance when I'm literally dripping - it's just embarrassing :mad:

After a lovely dance with the gorgeous Howard I thought I'd quit while I was ahead.

Twirly
2nd-July-2006, 09:19 PM
Agree totally about the heat :blush: :tears: (that's a red face and sweat, in case you were wondering)

It was my first time and I did enjoy it despite this and had some lovely dances. I'd try it again, but maybe leave it till the winter unless I was stuck and couldn't make a different freestyle for a while.

Always one to look on the bright side - at least there was plenty of room on the dancefloor!

David Bailey
2nd-July-2006, 09:24 PM
hot..
To be fair, everywhere was hot last night, and there were some super-strength fans in the main room. Not so much in the "chillout lounge" though (hah, the irony of that name did not escape me) which is probably why it was so quiet...

But yes, there's probably a good reason why "Swingin' the Blues" is on in February. But even in a cool temperature I'm not sure it would have worked for me.

On the plus side, I met Jazz Shoes (Ash), which was nice; who says I'm anti-social all the time?

Tiggerbabe
2nd-July-2006, 09:28 PM
who says I'm anti-social all the time?
That's usually you, isn't it? :wink: :whistle:

LMC
2nd-July-2006, 09:31 PM
To be fair, everywhere was hot last night, and there were some super-strength fans in the main room. Not so much in the "chillout lounge" though (hah, the irony of that name did not escape me) which is probably why it was so quiet...
The chill out room was more like a sauna. But even the main room was unbearably stuffy - even the Casbah on Friday wasn't as bad as that.

I didn't find the music inspiring either - just couldn't really get into it.

Andreas
2nd-July-2006, 09:55 PM
even the Casbah on Friday wasn't as bad as that.
Funny you say that. After about a year and a half I made my way to Casbah on Friday night because a friend of mine asked me to come along, as we hadn't danced since end of last year. Anyway, I was (positively) surprised that the music was no longer only boom boom and they did actually play a few nice tracks, though, the speed in general was more one for cold days :D At the end of the night I was soaked but it could have been worse, considering that I danced almost flat out. I was sort of wondering why for they didn't switch on their fog machine, which according to the website has a cooling effect. :whistle:

Missy D
2nd-July-2006, 10:14 PM
I had a good time at Chiswick last night! :clap:

Yes it was hot but what do you expect in July? There were a few fans and outside the air was quite cool. It was fairly quiet which meant i only got a few smacks in the back from clumsy dancers. Good to see David James and Clive Long - shame I didnt get to dance with either of them.:sad:

Had a lovely dance with ESG and Howard (not at the same time). Annette was djing in one room and Erik and Mike Ellard in the other room.:clap:

Managed to get one or two dances with Mikeyr:clap: :hug:

Good to meet Jazz Shoes Ash - sorry i didnt get to say goodbye to you. Hopefully see you again soon:flower:

Saw Twirly but didnt get to chat to her - next time eh!

The only thing i didnt like was the sloped floor in the blues room. And maybe on such a hot night Ceroc should supply free water - £1.20 is a little steep for a 35p bottle of water.:mad:

David Bailey
2nd-July-2006, 10:34 PM
And maybe on such a hot night Ceroc should supply free water - £1.20 is a little steep for a 35p bottle of water.:mad:
Considering it was just a BFF style amateur bar, yeah, the prices seemed a bit much. But hell, that's Chiswick for you.

Although the bottles of water went down to £1 after they closed the "bar"... :confused:

Missy D
2nd-July-2006, 10:43 PM
Considering it was just a BFF style amateur bar, yeah, the prices seemed a bit much. But hell, that's Chiswick for you.

Although the bottles of water went down to £1 after they closed the "bar"... :confused:

Wow £1 - did it come warmed up too:rofl:

Think next time i will buy a litre bottle of water for 55p from the supermarket and keep it just outside the venue in the cool air. That way I will not be breaking Ceroc rules:D

Twirly
3rd-July-2006, 10:23 AM
*snip*

Saw Twirly but didnt get to chat to her - next time eh!

*snip*

And maybe on such a hot night Ceroc should supply free water - £1.20 is a little steep for a 35p bottle of water.:mad:

Well if I ever spot you not dancing Missy! :whistle:

Agree totally about the water. Make it cheap or free.

Actually, on a slight aside, was most pi**ed off at Clapham last week - paid my 50p for the plastic cup and was then told that I wasn't allowed to have any ice with my tap water. Have had ice there for a year with no trouble - really annoyed. The woman started complaining about her "ice bill" - well how much does a plastic cup cost? 1p probably, so hardly think that a couple of ice cubes is going to affect her profit margin too badly... :angry: *gets off high horse*

David Bailey
3rd-July-2006, 10:33 AM
The woman started complaining about her "ice bill" - well how much does a plastic cup cost? 1p probably, so hardly think that a couple of ice cubes is going to affect her profit margin too badly... :angry: *gets off high horse*
The trouble with most venues (and we've discussed this many times) is that their bar staff, and also a lot of their management, is focussed on alcohol sales. It takes a lot of hassle (paperwork, licensing, distribution) to sell alcohol, so there are a lot of fixed costs. And if they don't sell any booze, they think it's a failure.

So they start charging for water, push up the prices for soft drinks etc., so they can see a decent return on their money.

Whereas, venues that just sell soft drinks from a table can sell bottles of water for 60p each, and/or provide free water. They don't have to worry about alcohol licensing, and only have to buy the stuff from Tesco's and get someone to sell it.

In this heat, I think free water is not only a nice thing to do, it's almost essential for health & safety.

Twirly
3rd-July-2006, 10:41 AM
I don't have a problem paying the 50p - I understand about all that with the making profits/alcohol. But the water was luke warm and refusing to give us ice was just taking something away that I'd got used to. It was also the way she said it - as though I'd asked for something outrageous and it made her look very mean too. I guess that lukewarm water is probably better for you, even if it doesn't taste too good. :sad:

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-July-2006, 10:51 AM
The trouble with most venues (and we've discussed this many times) is that their bar staff, and also a lot of their management, is focussed on alcohol sales. It takes a lot of hassle (paperwork, licensing, distribution) to sell alcohol, so there are a lot of fixed costs. And if they don't sell any booze, they think it's a failure.I think they are also heavily incentivised (how I hate that word) by the breweries on the amount of alcohol that they sell. I wish someone would explain to me how it all works though, because the mark-up on a glass of lemonade has got to be vastly higher than the mark-up on a pint of beer when both are selling at roughly the same price, yet still they seem focused on the alcohol.

David Bailey
3rd-July-2006, 11:11 AM
I think they are also heavily incentivised (how I hate that word) by the breweries on the amount of alcohol that they sell.
Yes, I think you're right. These venues sell alcohol; that's what they're set up for, that's what they do. Demarcation, guv.

I wish someone would explain to me how it all works though, because the mark-up on a glass of lemonade has got to be vastly higher than the mark-up on a pint of beer when both are selling at roughly the same price, yet still they seem focused on the alcohol.
I know, it's weird, isn't it? There has to be a massive market distortion somewhere.

Couple of recent threads on the matter:

"Do drinking and dancing mix? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6046)"
"Drinking and dancing (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8477)"

DavidB
3rd-July-2006, 11:34 AM
I wish someone would explain to me how it all works though, because the mark-up on a glass of lemonade has got to be vastly higher than the mark-up on a pint of beer when both are selling at roughly the same price, yet still they seem focused on the alcohol.
People will drink pint after pint of beer. Have you ever tried to do this with Coke or Lemonade?

Paul F
3rd-July-2006, 01:29 PM
I would really like confirmation on the legal aspect of a dance organisation having to sell/give away water or not.
In the past people have asked about the legal implications but AFAIK noone could verify whether it was a requirement or not.

:confused:

LMC
3rd-July-2006, 02:02 PM
IANAL, but IIRC, public houses are obliged to give away tap water FOC. However, as Ceroc is a membership organisation they have no such legal obligation so we're stuck with either paying or smuggling, not that any of us would ever do that :innocent:

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-July-2006, 02:10 PM
I would really like confirmation on the legal aspect of a dance organisation having to sell/give away water or not.
In the past people have asked about the legal implications but AFAIK noone could verify whether it was a requirement or not.

:confused:I looked into this. As far as I could tell, it occured as a condition under which some premises were licenced, which was a local authority thing. I could find nothing in statute.

Perhaps I should add that at Muswell Hill, mineral water is 50p for a half-litre bottle, and customers are welcome to use the cold water tap in the kitchen.

SilverFox
3rd-July-2006, 06:16 PM
IANAL, but IIRC, public houses are obliged to give away tap water FOC. AFAIK this is not true.

The only law with regards to tap water is that it must be available if food is being eaten. Available, but not necessarily free.

Dan Hudson
3rd-July-2006, 06:47 PM
I think most sensible venue managers will provide free tap water ( if the venue allows) especially in this heat!!

At Bow, We provide Free ICED water on all the tables which is refreshed during the evening. or you can pop down to the bar and get a bottle for £1.50
At Greenwich there is a FREE tap available or you can purchase ice cold mineral water for £1... to be honest most people opt to buy?:what: