PDA

View Full Version : The worst thing!!

TheTramp
9th-April-2003, 01:22 PM
Someone asked for a poll....

Happy to oblige!

So then. What's the absolute worst thing that you hate about some of the people you dance with!! (I'm only allowing one option, or we'll all be ticking every box).

Steve

Emma
9th-April-2003, 01:30 PM
A heavy-handed lead that wrenches you about. Naaasty. :nice: Though too sleazy comes a close second (though it depends who it is heh heh).

Lorna
9th-April-2003, 01:31 PM
Morning Steve,

good poll! :grin:

I went for BO. No need for it in my opinion. Everything else I can just about deal with. Bad breath - not experienced this, thankfully.

Everything else I feel that, as a teacher, I can take them off the dance floor and offer advice, as I do frequently but tactfully.

See ya,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

TheTramp
9th-April-2003, 01:40 PM
Lorna....

Everything else I feel that, as a teacher, I can take them off the dance floor and offer advice, as I do frequently but tactfully.I don't think that 'Steve, you stink, and you're a crap dancer' was particularly tactful :tears:

And after I'd demo'd with you and everything.....

Steve

DavidB
9th-April-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Lorna
I went for BO.... Everything else I feel that, as a teacher, I can ... offer advice, ... tactfully. I have visions of Lorna dealing very untactfully with someone with BO...

"Ladies move down 10, but pass the gas-mask back to Stinky's next victim."

But Steve has obviously experienced something similar in real life.

Wendy
9th-April-2003, 01:45 PM
I wanted to vote for all of the above but chose the beat one. I'd also add poor eye contact.. some guys just look into the distance obviously thinking about their train sets or something...

Wxx

Divissima
9th-April-2003, 01:52 PM
I went for thumbs on the back of hands - this is such a dangerous way to dance. All the other things you can do something about - either by timing your breathing to avoid unpleasant odours, or if you have enough freedom from the lead, to dance to the beat or otherwise liberate yourself. With the vice-like-grip approach to leading, you are locked in until the end of the dance. I always tell a man if his grip is causing me pain - but often they can't/don't do anything to change it, on my second request to loosen their fingers I can be slightly less polite and friendly and point out they are in danger of injuring me. I think over the years I have learned that the first time you ask/try to make constructive comments (which I'd only do if asked or was in discomfort) you do it in as friendly a way as you can, but if nothing changes, the time has come to wave goodbye to Ms-Nice-Girl.

Dave Hancock
9th-April-2003, 02:26 PM
I went for too sleazy as I really don't like this:innocent: and it happens soooo much to me (wake up David):D

Will
9th-April-2003, 04:51 PM
Q. What's the worst thing that someone dancing with you can have!?

A. Tackle....

Some of these Ceroc venues can be very poorly lit you know.

Wendy
9th-April-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Will
Q. What's the worst thing that someone dancing with you can have!?

A. Tackle....

Some of these Ceroc venues can be very poorly lit you know.

What has lighting got to do with it ? You'd only KNOW if you got VERY close ......

Wxxx

Gadget
9th-April-2003, 05:07 PM
I went for 'Beat', but it's more ladies who spin too fast (or on a rare occasion slowly) for the beat.

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
9th-April-2003, 05:29 PM
I went for 'no beat'... it's painful to watch!

Lorna
9th-April-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Lorna....
I don't think that 'Steve, you stink, and you're a crap dancer' was particularly tactful :tears:

And after I'd demo'd with you and everything.....

Steve

Uh? What are you blabbering on about?

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Jon
13th-April-2003, 10:12 AM
I went for other because I would of chosen:
1 - Kamakarzie Women who fly into drops and take none of their weight.

2 - No eye contact

Tiggerbabe
13th-April-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Jon

I went for other because I would of chosen:

2 - No eye contact

I'm with you on that Jon - absolutely nothing worse than dancing with someone who won't look at you (or smile!).

Graham W
13th-April-2003, 11:02 PM
I put beat as the worst thing too & was delighted 2 c others agreeing... it makes the dance a bit of a travesty

Strong BO (from not being clean pre dancing) is so horrible it is a shame that some people (I have been told) regularly seem to overlook it.. even my local council gym has a notices warning people to watch this so it struck me that dance classes should take a firmer stand, thu maybe they do privately I dunno.

G

Another pet hate I have recently found is swing dancers who seem to think that they are better dancers than modern jivers just cos they have learnt to dance to 8 beats. I think some of these people have failed hopelessly in modern jive & have hidden behind this. Nothing against swing as a dance cos I think it's great..

Twinkle Toes
13th-April-2003, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Emma
A heavy-handed lead that wrenches you about. Naaasty. :nice: Though too sleazy comes a close second (though it depends who it is heh heh).

I agree with Emma on both accounts.

1. Getting ones arm almost pulled out of it's socket is no fun. :reallymad

2. I have noticed that the older men, are the worst culprits for being sleazy ! :mad:

TT

Wendy
14th-April-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Emma
[B]
1. Getting ones arm almost pulled out of it's socket is no fun. :reallymad

2. I have noticed that the older men, are the worst culprits for being sleazy ! :mad:

Agree TT !! Even thought about starting a thread about the sleaze thing but I'm keeping a low profile this week...

Wxxx

Sandy
14th-April-2003, 10:02 AM
I go for spaghetti arms as you just don't know what to do with them! I end up leading and being too forceful myself:sorry However no eye contact and BO are pretty bad too.

Sleazy - I'm sure there must be a few good responses which would sort this out! Seductive, sexy, sensous moves are wonderful when with the right dance partner but nothing worse if done sleazily.

There is a definite line though between sexy and sleazy. Could be quite an interesting poster of all the things not to do! Just thinking of the one at the swimming pool - remember the "no petting!". I'm sure "The Tramp" could do a great poster??

:D

Sandy

TheTramp
14th-April-2003, 10:16 AM
Sorry Sandy, but my artisitic skills are particularly lacking.

I think that Emma is your girl for this!!

Steve

Lindsay
14th-April-2003, 04:19 PM
Thumbs... nothing worse, especially when you end you with a bruise on the back of your rt. hand.

Any tips for subtly removing thumbs (not completely) welcome....

Chicklet
14th-April-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Wendy
Agree TT !! Even thought about starting a thread about the sleaze thing but I'm keeping a low profile this week...

Wxxx

go on - it's awfully quiet today

Wendy
14th-April-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
go on - it's awfully quiet today

Thought I'd let someone else .....

Wx

TheTramp
14th-April-2003, 04:53 PM
Isn't it just (awfully quiet that is) :( Somebody talk about something. Anything. Please :D

Incidentally, my vote for this poll was the stiff arms thing. Smells I can deal with (lots of moves at arms length :)), thumbs aren't too big a problem (I just lead with a fingertip, get hold of that if you can!), but stiff arms are just painful. Get a woman with those, and you walk off the dancefloor able to touch your knees. Without bending over.

Just after I started dancing, I met a woman whose arms were just like ramrods. It almost put me off dancing completely.

Steve

Dance Demon
14th-April-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
Th

How about some hand cream on the back of your hand:reallymad

DavidB
14th-April-2003, 06:26 PM
Any tips for subtly removing thumbs (not completely) welcome.... Pliers - not subtle, but effective...

Graham
14th-April-2003, 06:38 PM
I voted for stiff arms too. If I wanted a workout I'd go to the gym.
I have had partners with bad breath, but as you're generally not constantly exposed to it I think there are worse things
I've never actually noticed BO in a partner, but perhaps I've just been lucky, or maybe it's predominantly men who have this particular failing :sick:
Alcohol breath is a good thing, as it warns you that your partner may not be quite as co-ordinated as you would expect :what:
Thumbs on the back of the hands is not pleasant, although I've never experienced bruising - gripping too hard usually just prevents me from leading particular moves properly (anything requiring a flat hand is difficult, as the follower can't really feel a difference). Having said that I've realised that I do sometimes use my thumbs deliberately and I'm now wondering if my partners are all going away with bruises :sorry
No beat is not fun, but doesn't present horrific problems unless combined with stiff arms
Spaghetti arms is almost as difficult to deal with as stiff arms but is very rare in my experience
Never experienced too sleazy, but perhaps I have a high threshold :wink:
Only two partners have done drops on me which I hadn't intended, but as they were both teachers it worked out okay, and if I'd dropped them it would have been their own lookout :really:

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
14th-April-2003, 09:28 PM
Thumbs... nothing worse, especially when you end you with a bruise on the back of your rt. hand.

Grip them with the tips of your fingers and then they can't reach?

PeterL
15th-April-2003, 01:07 PM
Having just read this thread.
I feel I have to make a comment on the eye contact thing.

I am constantly reading and hearing how important eye contact is and thought it was worth pointing out that eye contact can be very difficult for some people, it can make them feel very uncomfortable. This is not neccesarily a character flaw or a sign of dishonesty but simply a fact of life.
Speaking for myself it is a symptom and I have spent many years trying to overcome feeling uncomfortable when looking in peoples eyes. I have many coping mechanisms for this like looking away for split instances.

When dancing I find that I cannot look people direct in the eye because the discomfort it gives me throws my dance and so I pretend to occasionally make eye contact while as I am really looking just above or below the eye. When someone is maintaining too much eye contact this is highly difficult.

I know this is not the prevailing but one of my pethates would be too much eyecontact.

:o :o

I don't think too many people have a problem with my eye contact when dancing, but having spent the early part of my life being acutely aware that people didn't trust me etc because I didn't look them straight in the eye it makes me uncomfortable to constantly read how important eye contact is, please spare a thought for people who aren't good at it through no fault of there own but still want to dance with you.

Franck
15th-April-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by PeterL
Having just read this thread.
I feel I have to make a comment on the eye contact thing.

I am constantly reading and hearing how important eye contact is and thought it was worth pointing out that eye contact can be very difficult for some people, it can make them feel very uncomfortable. Back to worrying again Peter... :D

I completely agree with you, and I reckon that most people who are big fans of eye contact (myself included) don't actually make that much eye contact during the dance... Constant eye contact is spooky and can be very off putting...

My view is that eye contact is all about communicating, it is about showing that you enjoyed a particular move / combination / surprise during the dance, like an acknowledgement that you are dancing together...
A brief glance combined with a smile is all the eye contact required... and yes, you can cheat and look just above the eyes etc...

As a man, leading, I find it very hard to be motivated in a dance if I get no feedback that my partner is enjoying herself or at least interested in the dance, and while I appreciate that some Beginners will be very shy, it makes a huge difference when all of a sudden they look up and smile, or even make a little 'whoop' of surprise / appreciation :nice:

On the other hand, constant eye contact (especially with no smile) is very off-putting, and completely distracts me...

So, no, Peter, I don't think you're alone... :nice: but you still worry too much :wink:

Franck.

PeterL
15th-April-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Back to worrying again Peter... :D

So, no, Peter, I don't think you're alone... :nice: but you still worry too much :wink:

Franck.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll try not to worry about it.:D :D

Chicklet
15th-April-2003, 01:55 PM
Been thinking about this thread for a while trying to form my thoughts into something coherent!

The dancing off- beat thing has been pursued further elsewhere but more from the point of view of deliberately off beat and for a reason - I don't think this is the off beat that is complained of here - I would see deliberate off beat as a challenge and something new to have a go at - if it is at tempo with the music - why not try.

The problem is slowing down and speeding up and just not being with the music at all (spinning a beat too early out of the catapult is the worst!!!!)....there aren't many of these guys around I have to say but it can be a struggle and many of even the best lady dancers can look, shall we say not at their best, when being led this way and I think most of all I feel pity for the men and think it's a shame that they really don't get to feel what some do (watch their faces - they don't)

Arms, stiff or spagetti or weird hand holds, I have always thought maybe this comes with practice and getting to know the person you are dancing with?

Which brings me onto the most important thing for me - maybe should be on Sheena's thread but here goes:

I have three categories in my head -

people I don't know - can be nice to dance with but they need to leave shall we say "dance space", I am FAR from prudish but it's just not on for someone you don't know (or someone who has tried to "get to know you " and been told where to go, yes I could give you a name or two!!) to be "accidentally" brushing and
squeezing etc...these guys get about 50 % eyecontact - for me it's all related - too much and there can be wrong signals flying and as Peter says it can be uncomfortable - IMO you wouldn't like someone you don't know very well or didn't really like staring into your eyes constantly for 5 mins in any other situation so why want it on the dance floor?

people I know quite well who introduce a bluesy or close move, or an unexpected dip (maybe that's my fault and I should recognise the signals) or a squeeze or anything like that are great to dance with and these get 75 - 80 % eyecontact. This is like flirting in the office, it goes on everywhere, all the time and it's basically harmless and flattering when both parties have the same expectations. A damn good feelgood dance with a bit if variety.
(most of my lovely dance chums come into the above category)

and then there's the BTC / BTMML / BTS category - had heard the rumours on this but only just experienced it for myself very recently. the eye contact is up to 100% because you are the only two people in the room (or so it feels). This can go as close as you like for as long as you like and it's very very special and I can't explain why or how it happens. (actually i think I can but I'm not going to:innocent: )

To get back to the point the worst thing for me is when people from one category try to take themselves into the next one, and reading back I should have put this into Sheena's thread but don't know how to change.

C

TheTramp
15th-April-2003, 02:10 PM
BTC / BTMML / BTS categoryHow about those that are BTWU??? :D

Steve

Chicklet
15th-April-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
How about those that are BTWU??? :D

Steve

that must be better that wugby union???

is there ANYHTING that's better than wugby union???

TheTramp
15th-April-2003, 02:15 PM
Nah.

It was Better Than Washing Up.

I set my sights low so that I won't be too disappointed.....

Steve

Chicklet
15th-April-2003, 02:22 PM
ahhh but is the point not that it's partly the illusive quality of the BT dances that makes them so?

actually while I'm typing that I'm not so sure, would I ever turn down / avoid etc a potential BT because I thought it was getting commonplace and I was getting to much of it.

er No actually.

TheTramp
15th-April-2003, 02:26 PM
What? You mean you'd dance with me again, even though I'm only better than washing up?

How sweet :hug:

Steve

DavidY
26th-April-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
...and then there's the BTC / BTMML / BTS category...I know I'll look foolish for admitting I can't work this out - but what does "BTMML" mean? :confused:
It's been bugging me for days!

David

Franck
26th-April-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
I know I'll look foolish for admitting I can't work this out - but what does "BTMML" mean? :confused:
It's been bugging me for days! If I remember correctly, Chicklet coined that one, as in Better Than My Mum's Lasagna... :D

I can't remember whom it might have applied to though :wink:

Franck.

DavidY
26th-April-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Franck
If I remember correctly, Chicklet coined that one, as in Better Than My Mum's Lasagna... :D
Franck.
Thanks Franck - I found it now (in the Chocolate Party thread).

David

bigdjiver
27th-August-2005, 09:47 PM
Perhaps there should have been options for nails and jewellery, but, for me the worst thing is partner not enjoying the dance.

dee
28th-August-2005, 01:15 PM
Perhaps there should have been options for nails and jewellery, but, for me the worst thing is partner not enjoying the dance.

Or maybe even an option for men looking at your boobs the whole dance. I also find it quite off putting looking into peoples eyes but i would rather do that than have boob contact :rofl: unless i wear a polar neck jumper that is.

TiggsTours
28th-August-2005, 01:18 PM
I went for other, because it was just so hard to choose! They're all terrible traits to have!

ToeTrampler
29th-August-2005, 01:38 PM
<~snip> unless i wear a polar neck jumper that is.Is that like a polo neck jumper but for very cold venues :rolleyes: :hug:

dee
29th-August-2005, 05:22 PM
Is that like a polo neck jumper but for very cold venues :rolleyes: :hug:

Did i really write that??? :rofl: im so blonde :blush:

Robin
29th-August-2005, 05:46 PM
Or maybe even an option for men looking at your boobs the whole dance. I also find it quite off putting looking into peoples eyes but i would rather do that than have boob contact

'sfunny that - we have a joke with a chap who goes to one of the CerocMetro venues (diplomatic or what ?) - and we take the pee out of him about it - he always seems to dance with women whose cleavage is roughly at face level and perhaps might be larger than average as well. :wink:

...just to show that it can be funny too!

Donna
30th-August-2005, 12:43 PM
'sfunny that - we have a joke with a chap who goes to one of the CerocMetro venues (diplomatic or what ?) - and we take the pee out of him about it - he always seems to dance with women whose cleavage is roughly at face level and perhaps might be larger than average as well. :wink:

...just to show that it can be funny too!

Tut tut tut....so now we have men that dance with boobs as well as talking to boobs too!! Oh dear!

tsh
30th-August-2005, 01:21 PM
No beat is not fun, but doesn't present horrific problems unless combined with stiff arms

I find the worst thing is a partner who makes up their own beat. I can do nothing with them, and the only advice which would be apropriate is 'stop dancing, you're rubbish' which even for me is a little bit harsh. (talking about someonw who's been dancing for maybe 1 year, not a beginner)

Sean

Piglet
12th-January-2006, 01:56 PM
Perhaps there should have been options for nails and jewellery

and watches and keys in pockets! :eek:

ducasi
12th-January-2006, 03:03 PM
and watches and keys in pockets! :eek:
Make sure to remind me on Sunday if I forget... :blush:

Gladrags
12th-January-2006, 03:34 PM
What I hate is followers who don't respond to a lead unless it is a very sharp pull requiring significant strength (i.e. physically being pulled, often resulting in you being tugged towards the follower due to their inertia). Typically happens after any step back prior to next move. This to me seems more like a workout than a dance.

I find that extra part beat lost between a good finger/hand lead and responsive movement puts you completely off the beat. It always happens to me on some unfeasibly fast song, where there is little room for error in timing - often results in having to use 'catch-up' beats to get on time before the next occasion.

Mind you, I have been known to dance fast.......

Northants Girly
12th-January-2006, 07:35 PM
Mind you, I have been known to dance fast.......Do you dance like your profile picture?? :devil:

Cruella
12th-January-2006, 09:31 PM
Do you dance like your profile picture?? :devil:
Mmmmm. There is a similarity:whistle:

Piglet
12th-January-2006, 10:28 PM
Make sure to remind me on Sunday if I forget... :blush:
Never had that problem with you - in fact I don't meet it too much to be honest, but I remember being hurt during a dips and drops workshop (okay - so it wasn't life and death, but...) from a guys watch as my arm slid down his to be caught hand in hand - ouch! I did point it out that it hurt and he did remove it for most of the rest of the lesson (though I'm sure I remember it returned to the wrist at one point - luckily there wasn't a similar drop to do with his watch again). I don't like leading women with bracelets either and have found that if I wear a bracelet it gets in the way so I don't wear anything other than my hair scrunchy - which soon goes on my head when I get hot.

And the only time that the keys have really gotten to me was when a guy did a lean and I had a bruise on my leg already and the keys really reminded me of my bruise.

By the way thanks to Northants Girl - if it weren't for you I wouldn't have looked up Gladrags profile picture :rofl:

Shaz
13th-January-2006, 12:12 AM
Or maybe even an option for men looking at your boobs the whole dance. I also find it quite off putting looking into peoples eyes but i would rather do that than have boob contact :rofl: unless i wear a polar neck jumper that is.

Women who wear revealing tops normally like the attention :whistle:

"have boob contact" hmm.... that happens often, however, that is usually more embarassing for the man :blush:

Mythical
20th-May-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally, I voted 'Too Sleazy' After realising it was annoying, last night (Alright, I can expect it in a dress like that, but if that guy fluffed my skirt one more time, I swear I was gonna break his fingers off)
But no, Actually, the worst thing a partner can have (imo) is no beat. It confuses me, it's awful to watch, and it's just not nice!

nebula
20th-May-2007, 03:36 PM

TT
Yes, I have, too! Kind of "excusable" :angry: excitement process, instead of Viagra - apologies to any normal older guys here!

Double Trouble
20th-May-2007, 05:23 PM
Its interesting that the thing we hate the most seems to be BO.

Yet there are still so many stinkers on the dance scene.

Is anyone prepared to admit they go dancing without having a shower or using deodorant?

In fact, I suspect some people do shower before dancing, but don't use deodorant and end up stinking half way through the night. They probably can't smell it on themselves and are completely unaware.

Of course...there are the total stinkers that have clearly worn the same shirt they wore last week, without washing it...have not showered and do not use deodorant. That's just not on.:angry:

StokeBloke
20th-May-2007, 06:19 PM
I think the problem that most people have about BO is the total lack of consideration. It is so unnecessary. We all get hot and bothered when we dance... you only need to take a spare shirt and some spray to stay fresh.

When I am in the loos changing I will always offer my spray to any other guys there who are changing - two guys at Hammersmith last night said 'thats a great idea' I'll bring some too next time. Like Lynx was a new fangled invention just to hit the market :eek:

So, I am doing my part to spread the word, and the deodorant :wink: Revolution Dance have complimentary little aftershaves/perfumes in the toilets. But that's Cheshire for you - dead posh :D

I danced with a lady once and thought how pretty the little crystals were on the seam of her sleeveless top as they caught the coloured lights, until I realised as they brushed across my arm that they were actually drips of sweat hanging from her armpit hair - delicious :sick:

Trouble
20th-May-2007, 06:25 PM
I danced with a lady once and thought how pretty the little crystals were on the seam of her sleeveless top as they caught the coloured lights, until I realised as they brushed across my arm that they were actually drips of sweat hanging from her armpit hair - delicious :sick:

:drool: i bet the temptation to lick it was almost overpowering. !!! :yum:

Twirlie Bird
20th-May-2007, 07:10 PM

Ok. I now feel VERY ill. :sick:

StokeBloke
20th-May-2007, 07:29 PM
It did cross my mind as I whipped her through an octopus and some splashed across my cheek. Salty :yum:

Wuzzle
20th-May-2007, 07:47 PM
It did cross my mind as I whipped her through an octopus and some splashed across my cheek. Salty :yum:

Hmm tastie... almost as nice a thought as seeing a guy not wash his hands after doing his business in the mens room... :eek:

I suppose thats a sidestep in this topic :whistle: still dance related though.

Beowulf
21st-May-2007, 10:24 AM

oh dear :sick:

Yet there are still so many stinkers on the dance scene.

can't say I've noticed :whistle:

Is anyone prepared to admit they go dancing without having a shower or using deodorant?

I shower every morning, and again before going to dancing .. then I'll come home and usually shower again before bed. 2 Showers per day normally.. at least 3 on a dance night.

In fact, I suspect some people do shower before dancing, but don't use deodorant and end up stinking half way through the night. They probably can't smell it on themselves and are completely unaware.

Ah, I have a problem with this one. if I'm showered and i change out of sweaty clothes then I don't tend to use deodorant. Mainly because too much deodorant is as bad/worse (so I've been told) than BO. As my particular condition means that I am unaware of how much is too much, I'd rather go for a more neutral natural scent. Not too BO and not too Perfumed. I hope so at least.. I've instructed my friends to tell me if I pong and ,luckily, they've not had to do so much.

IMHO everybody smells sometime, despite their best intentions.

Of course...there are the total stinkers that have clearly worn the same shirt they wore last week, without washing it...have not showered and do not use deodorant. That's just not on.:angry:

I know a few of those.. I shared a flat with one once. talk about the odd couple. I was there for ..oh.. quite a few months and I could count the times he took a bath on the fingers of one hand. His idea of a "clean" was to wipe himself with a damp face cloth. :sick: :sick: Apparently despite me being very clean, I ponged by association. My clean clothes used to stink just because they were in that flat. :blush: of course , I didn't know. And moved out shortly after I was told ! :tears:

Lee Bartholomew
21st-May-2007, 10:35 AM
Ah, I have a problem with this one. if I'm showered and i change out of sweaty clothes then I don't tend to use deodorant. Mainly because too much deodorant is as bad/worse (so I've been told) than BO. As my particular condition means that I am unaware of how much is too much, I'd rather go for a more neutral natural scent. Not too BO and not too Perfumed. I hope so at least.. I've instructed my friends to tell me if I pong and ,luckily, they've not had to do so much.

Lol, don't stand next to a fan when dancing. Infact just standing down wind would be great. :wink:

A solution to this problem could be using deoderant stick or roll on rather than spray as it tends to be more effective and give off less purfume.

Luckily I don't suffer from BO but I do sweat alot. Go through tonnes of shirts a night. At least people know im putting my all into dancing.

Double Trouble
21st-May-2007, 12:39 PM
Luckily I don't suffer from BO

*snigger*

Beowulf
21st-May-2007, 12:58 PM
Lol, don't stand next to a fan when dancing. Infact just standing down wind would be great. :wink:

hmm.. :rolleyes:

I just finished saying I don't smell (I mean personally give off bad odours) I don't trust deodorants because I don't have any clue what they smell like. I'd rather smell like me (albeit a clean me) than a bunch of flowers, or a wet pine forest.

Only STALE sweat smells. I wear wicking clothing and dry off when sweaty. I carry non scented wet wipes and when I change I wipe the scent producing glands around the arm pits etc with these and dry off with my towel.

ergo I do not smell .. I do not cover up one bad smell with another , slightly stronger , slightly more palatable one.

I just think it ironic that my forum name shortens to Beo .. B.O. :rolleyes:

tell me.. would you suggest a blind person who perhaps happened to be wearing clashing clothes be asked to dance out of your line of sight? :wink: (it's ok to say something offensive if you add a wink to the end apparently :rolleyes:)

Lee Bartholomew
21st-May-2007, 01:02 PM
{snip}

Im playing with you Beo.

BO isn't a problem for most men but I think sweat is.

Think it's worse when you are dancing with a woman who has BO.

Or those who fart on the dancefloor and walk off. Yes DTS im thinking you.

Beowulf
21st-May-2007, 01:03 PM
Im playing with you Beo.

I know.. and you think I'm not :wink: :whistle:

I take no one seriously.. especially myself

Lee Bartholomew
21st-May-2007, 01:06 PM
I know.. and you think I'm not :wink: :whistle:

I take no one seriously.. especially myself

So thats you under my desk. There was me hoping it was the receptionist.

Double Trouble
21st-May-2007, 01:10 PM
Or those who fart on the dancefloor and walk off. Yes DTS im thinking you.

He's a bugger for doing that isn't he? The worse thing is...everyone looks round looking for the culprit and DTS is standing there pointing at me with a disgraced look on his face.

I'd go see a doctor about your arse, DTS. There's something not quite right there. Smells like a sick animal has crawled up your hole for a warm place to die....a few months ago.http://www.type116.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_sick.gifhttp://www.type116.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_sick.gifhttp://www.type116.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_sick.gif

Lee Bartholomew
21st-May-2007, 01:30 PM
He's a bugger for doing that isn't he? The worse thing is...everyone looks round looking for the culprit and DTS is standing there pointing at me with a disgraced look on his face.

I'd go see a doctor about your arse, DTS. There's something not quite right there. Smells like a sick animal has crawled up your hole for a warm place to die....a few months ago.http://www.type116.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_sick.gifhttp://www.type116.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_sick.gifhttp://www.type116.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_sick.gif

Lol. if he does it at southport, ill also point at you.

Double Trouble
21st-May-2007, 01:48 PM

Can if you like..but only rose tinted butterflies float from my bottom. I'm a ladeeeey don't you know.:innocent:

Lee Bartholomew
21st-May-2007, 01:49 PM
Can if you like..but only rose tinted butterflies float from my bottom. I'm a ladeeeey don't you know.:innocent:

Thats better than the ping pong ball trick. :na:

StokeBloke
21st-May-2007, 03:55 PM
Sweat and BO whilst obviously linked are in fact two different things. The BO smell is caused by bacteria that live and grow on the body. Sweat is in fact odourless. BO is caused by poor hygiene (not washing the sweat off thus allowing the bacteria to grow in it).

There are antiperspirants and deodorants. They help stop sweating in the first place, and help kill the bacteria that causes odour respectively. Personally I would rather smell of too much deodorant, than smell of BO.

dave the scaffolder
21st-May-2007, 04:08 PM

I can fairly much fart on demand so we could set up the Trouble sisters and blame them for it.
Sara White has experienced one of the best i ever did at her Sunday night class.

It was a fog of war fart, classy (as Caro would say, love you babe).
XXX XXX DTS:drool:

Lee Bartholomew
21st-May-2007, 04:15 PM
I can fairly much fart on demand so we could set up the Trouble sisters and blame them for it.
Sara White has experienced one of the best i ever did at her Sunday night class.

Cool. We'll stock you up on cabbage the night before and set up up a good'un.

Gav
21st-May-2007, 08:41 PM

Hmmm, I think your kids would disagree... :whistle:

nebula
22nd-May-2007, 08:10 AM
Sweat and BO whilst obviously linked are in fact two different things. The BO smell is caused by bacteria that live and grow on the body. Sweat is in fact odourless. BO is caused by poor hygiene (not washing the sweat off thus allowing the bacteria to grow in it).

There are antiperspirants and deodorants. They help stop sweating in the first place, and help kill the bacteria that causes odour respectively. Personally I would rather smell of too much deodorant, than smell of BO.

I diagree - I'd rather you smelled of hard-danced sweat, then gag on your un-palatable choice of deodorant. Not you in particular :blush:, just men in general :whistle:. At least sweat is natural:wink:

Missy D
22nd-May-2007, 08:31 AM
I hate when a sweaty almost melting man puts me into a drop and his sweat falls onto my face - just not nice:sick: :sick:

Also men that dance close with me that dont have a mobile phone in their pocket:whistle: This has happened twice with me in dance the most recent was on saturday in Hammersmith:what: :what:

Double Trouble
22nd-May-2007, 08:40 AM
I diagree - I'd rather you smelled of hard-danced sweat, then gag on your un-palatable choice of deodorant.

That's just wrong.

Please don't give these men ideas about not wearing deodorant. I think you are on your own with prefering sweat.:sick:

Trouble
22nd-May-2007, 09:36 AM

you wanna watch it DTS, us troubles give as good as we get :respect:

Twirly
22nd-May-2007, 10:52 AM
That's just wrong.

Please don't give these men ideas about not wearing deodorant. I think you are on your own with prefering sweat.:sick:

I guess that if it was just plain sweat it'd be OK (as someone said earlier, it doesn't have any smell). But the problem is, it rarely is just sweat - even over the course of an evening, it can morph into BO thanks to those pesky skin bacteria (and of course the hairier the guy under the arms, the worse it's going to be :sick: )

I did actually make a suggestion to Ceroc London about a year ago. You often see antiperspirant companies doing promotions giving out free deodorants at stations in London during the summer. I suggested that they get one of the companies to come in and give some away at Ceroc nights - we'd get sweeter smelling dancers, the deodorant company would hopefully get some new customers, and dancers would be reminded about the need for personal hygiene on the dance floor. But Ceroc weren't interested as there was nothing in it for them on the business side :( So basically, if it won't make them money, they're not interested, even if it would give their customers a better dance experience :rolleyes:

Actually, even providing soap in the men's loo's is a bit of a challenge apparently :sick: at least the presence of it one night was enough for someone to comment on it. There is usually something akin to soap (diluted I think) in the ladies. I just make sure that I wash my hands regularly through the course of the evening. :what:

dave the scaffolder
22nd-May-2007, 10:52 AM
you wanna watch it DTS, us troubles give as good as we get :respect:

Me legs have gone.
XXX XXXDTS:clap:

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-May-2007, 11:07 AM
The thing I find most irritating though is inapropriate clothing and jewlery.

Why do women insist on wearing rings braclets and sharp objects on their hands. I have scars on my hands from dancing with such women. A few on my face two.

Loose necklasses that take the eye out as they spin.

Open toe'd shoes. Dont come running to me if someone trads on your toe.

Ceroc teachers just dont mention it at all.

Trouble
22nd-May-2007, 11:11 AM
The thing I find most irritating though is inapropriate clothing and jewlery.

Why do women insist on wearing rings braclets and sharp objects on their hands. I have scars on my hands from dancing with such women. A few on my face two.

Loose necklasses that take the eye out as they spin.

Ceroc teachers just dont mention it at all.

hang on a minute. Draw the line at open toe'd shoes. Whats wrong with open toe'd shoes. They are comfortable and look pretty.

Ceroc teachers should mention that Great big fat footed, heavy handed, incompetant dancers who tread on toes should be stopped. :flower:

dave the scaffolder
22nd-May-2007, 11:16 AM
hang on a minute. Draw the line at open toe'd shoes. Whats wrong with open toe'd shoes. They are comfortable and look pretty.

Ceroc teachers should mention that Great big fat footed, heavy handed, incompetant dancers who tread on toes should be stopped. :flower:

I thought me and Woodface were inproving in the dont step on the toes thingy.

Legs not back yet.
XXX XXX DTS:love:

Twirly
22nd-May-2007, 11:20 AM

:angry:

:yeah:

Open-toed shoes are much more comfortable than closed ones I find, as I have so many problems with my feet (it's a miracle I can walk, let alone dance sometimes). And since women's feet tend to be much smaller than men's anyway, it's going to hurt when the numpty we're dancing with treads on them anyway, whatever we wear :mad: :tears:

Actually, after BO, the thing I find most annoying is other women's stilettos. And getting impaled on them :mad:

dave the scaffolder
22nd-May-2007, 11:27 AM
Floorcraft really ****** me off.

If i bump into someone i always apolagise.

If i step on someone i always apolagise.

Its these ******* that dance into your space then bump into you and never apolagise and look at you like you are the villan.

Had to walk away from a guy a couple of Ashtons ago as i was going to kill him on the floor. No manners and no floorcraft whatsoever.

Rude little *****. If you know who you are dont hesitate to come up to me and apolagise.

XXX XXX DTS

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-May-2007, 11:27 AM
Open-toed shoes are much more comfortable than closed ones I find, as I have so many problems with my feet (it's a miracle I can walk, let alone dance sometimes). And since women's feet tend to be much smaller than men's anyway, it's going to hurt when the numpty we're dancing with treads on them anyway, whatever we wear :mad: :tears:

Actually, after BO, the thing I find most annoying is other women's stilettos. And getting impaled on them :mad:

I can't say from experiance that I have worn open toe'd shoes, but I do think teachers should say that they are not ideal. Esp for beginners as they tend to get trodden on more.

Yes it would be the mans fault if he done it but girls should be aware that it would hurt.

Saw one man once dancing in bare feet !!!!

Stillettoes do ******* hurt when caught down the back of your thigh.

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-May-2007, 11:29 AM
And people who have converstations on the dance floor or just stand there watching.

If they are near me I delib give them a gentil nudge so they get the message that they are taking up, some times valuble, dance space.

Trouble
22nd-May-2007, 11:35 AM
dont you guys know the phrase "Beauty is pain".

Why do you think we all paint our toenails. Its not to make us look pretty its to cover up the black toe nails. :awe:

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-May-2007, 11:39 AM
dont you guys know the phrase "Beauty is pain".

Why do you think we all paint our toenails. Its not to make us look pretty its to cover up the black toe nails. :awe:

Ah ok. Just seems pretty dumb to me. All very well on a big dance or freestyle, but during the class with general numpties?

TurboTomato
22nd-May-2007, 12:51 PM
A few on my face two.

You have more than one face? :eek:

nebula
22nd-May-2007, 02:56 PM
That's just wrong.

Not not wearing - god forbid. If the partner you dance with has paid attention to his/her personal hygiene, then during the evening, however energetically they dance, the sweat just won't have time to forment into BO. Trying to cover the lack of shower with multiple layers of deodorant is what I categorically object to. Maybe I am wrong... hiding behind the bushes... :blush: but I would honestly prefer sweat to getting a headache and coughing fits from overpowering deodorants... especially the smells that I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy... :angry:

Beowulf
22nd-May-2007, 03:11 PM
That's just wrong.

Please don't give these men ideas about not wearing deodorant. I think you are on your own with preferring sweat.:sick:

I would honestly prefer sweat to getting a headache and coughing fits from overpowering deodorants... especially the smells that I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy... :angry:

That's my point exactly. Next time we meet DT you tell me if I smell , ok?

Although I just had my eyes opened up a little here. I didn't actually realise that antiperspirants are ALSO deodorants. Here was me thinking it was like talc to stop you sweating and fairly odourless in itself !!

You learn something every day.. What bothers me is.. why did none of my RL forum friends tell me that!! :rofl:

(I do use aftershave btw.. why I have no idea but it's the done thing to do. People ask me "Hmm that's nice what aftershave is that?" and I can only reply "Its the Blue one" "the Green one" or "the Clear one" as I can never remember which is which. They could all smell like vinegar for all I know!

( IIRC The Blue one is Davidoff cool water, the green one is Davidoff relax and the clear one is either Hugo boss or diesel something.. (I have two clear ones .. actually the more I think about it the diesel one is in a white opaque atomiser bottle.. and I know Twirly doesn't like that one )) Anosmia is such an annoying affliction !! :wink:

nebula
22nd-May-2007, 03:21 PM
Although I just had my eyes opened up a little here. I didn't actually realise that antiperspirants are ALSO deodorants. Here was me thinking it was like talc to stop you sweating and fairly odourless in itself !!
Unfortunately, not necessarily...:grin:

straycat
22nd-May-2007, 03:27 PM
Saw one man once dancing in bare feet !!!!

Done that before. Out of necessity, mind (sunburned feet)

Martin
22nd-May-2007, 03:46 PM
I have not read the thread yet, but I voted "stiff arms" I am sooooo fed up with getting RSI in the shoulder. Dancing should not be a "fight"...

nebula
22nd-May-2007, 04:41 PM
I have not read the thread yet, but I voted "stiff arms" I am sooooo fed up with getting RSI in the shoulder. Dancing should not be a "fight"...
Incidently, I voted alcohol breath, but seem to be :sad: in minority... shudder...

Martin
22nd-May-2007, 04:44 PM
Incidently, I voted alcohol breath, but seem to be :sad: in minority... shudder...

Ah ha, so as I drink like a fish.... maybe we not dance partners....:wink:

nebula
22nd-May-2007, 04:49 PM
Ah ha, so as I drink like a fish.... maybe we not dance partners....:wink:
Afraid not... after 1 dance I would try to stay as far away from you as possible. :wink: Don't take me wrong - I would drink a couple of glasses of wine at the fun night / ball myself:cheers: , though not at the normal lesson evening.
But if you drink like a FISH... :blush: sorrryyyy, our paths are never going to cross in this universe...

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-May-2007, 04:51 PM
Afraid not... after 1 dance I would try to stay as far away from you as possible. :wink: Don't take me wrong - I would drink a couple of glasses of wine at the fun night / ball myself:cheers: , though not at the normal lesson evening.
But if you drink like a FISH... :blush: sorrryyyy, our paths are never going to cross in this universe...

I try to advoid the drinkers. Nothing worse than spending most of the dance ensuring they stay upright.

Having said that, It seems to improve some people. :innocent:

Martin
22nd-May-2007, 04:57 PM

All cool, us fish swim in a big ocean.

Choc Chip
22nd-May-2007, 11:40 PM
Woodface - you seem to have quite a number of pet hates?! Do you actually enjoy coming to dancing? :-)

My personal worst was a garlic sausage burp right in my face - not even an "excuse me"

nebula
23rd-May-2007, 01:16 AM
All cool, us fish swim in a big ocean.
By all means - let's the currents take us...:wink:

Leg Warmers
23rd-May-2007, 01:52 AM
things i try to avoid are:

guys with sweaty backs/ necks who execute moves where the womans arm or hand has to slide across their now-very-sweaty back or neck.

...how-very-dare-you :really:

also, i don't mind sometimes but does anyone have nights where you really dont want the 8th dance in a row with yet another dancer who seems to be dancing to a different tune than you?? [am i being too harsh on that one?]:blush:

apart from that, i'm normally loving the music and the dances so much that nothing phases me..

oh apart from suffering from the same attack as DTS:mad:
Happened last Ashtons.. The chap was dancing nearby and accidentally whacked me in the shoulder with no apology. ['It happens, no big deal' I said to myself and carried on dancing]. seconds later the same chap accidentally kicked my ankle [how? i do not know but this really was painful] :eek: Again No apologies [but he did glance my way]. Third time [unlucky] I received another lop on my back by the same guy!! :mad:
I think its only polite to apologise to the people you've accidently danced into..

Luckily, no serious injuries nor did he ruin the fun dance I was having with Gerry..

"Floor Etiquette" looks like there might be a need for it...!:rolleyes:

whitetiger1518
23rd-May-2007, 12:37 PM
:angry:

Getting stomped on by steel toe capped boots isn't particularly fun either :tears: (particularly as even using your full body weight you can't get you own back by stepping on their toes!!! :angry: )

Worst ever combination (for me): At a ceilidh at a wedding - me in soft highland shoes, him in steel toe caps - ouch that hurt:tears:

Whitetiger

Jhutch
23rd-May-2007, 01:02 PM
Long nails:what:

SteveK
24th-May-2007, 03:12 AM
My personal worst was a garlic sausage burp right in my face - not even an "excuse me"

:rofl: Reminds self not to drink carbonated drinks/beer before dancing if I've had garlicy pizza for tea!!

However my pet hate is chewing gum - I think it's a disgusting habit, and hate it when you get to see the blob of stuff going round and round in someone's mouth. :sick: :sick:

(I've learnt from this forum that some people use it to give up smoking - guess in this situation I can understand it, but it isn't a pleasant sight).

Twirly
24th-May-2007, 12:04 PM
:rofl: Reminds self not to drink carbonated drinks/beer before dancing if I've had garlicy pizza for tea!!

However my pet hate is chewing gum - I think it's a disgusting habit, and hate it when you get to see the blob of stuff going round and round in someone's mouth. :sick: :sick:

(I've learnt from this forum that some people use it to give up smoking - guess in this situation I can understand it, but it isn't a pleasant sight).

True, but then again if the person is well mannered, you shouldn't be able to see it going round and round, as they'd have their mouth closed. Bet they eat with their mouth open too. :sick:

fletch
26th-May-2007, 09:22 AM
True, but then again if the person is well mannered, you shouldn't be able to see it going round and round, as they'd have their mouth closed. Bet they eat with their mouth open too. :sick:

I get bad breath :tears: :blush: I think it might be somthing to do with the fizzy water I drink and it just churns up ........well I don't know what :sick:

but gum seems to help settle everything down for a while, but I hate chewing it, and also try not to let anyone see me doing so :sad:

jiveaddicted
26th-May-2007, 10:43 PM
personally for me the worst thing is a woman who smell's i always make sure ive had a shower and that ive got some form of smelly on if im dancing tho next on my list is a woman who throws herself into a drop as ive been hurt trying to pull somebody back up from that and i think its just bad form especially if its some1 you dont dance with very often or even if you have never danced with them before. I also dont like the grippy thumb thing but as a man have found that by offering just a finger or 2 tends to relive that a lot!!

M

foxylady
26th-May-2007, 11:04 PM
.......but as a man have found that by offering just a finger or 2 tends to relive that a lot!!

M

Resist foxy resist... do not drag this thread upstairs... but it is JiveAddicted (swoon)... yes but thats no reason to get smutty... control yourself....

Must control myself....deep breath....

fletch
27th-May-2007, 07:28 AM
personally for me the worst thing is a woman who smell's i always make sure ive had a shower and that ive got some form of smelly on if im dancing tho next on my list is a woman who throws herself into a drop as ive been hurt trying to pull somebody back up from that and i think its just bad form especially if its some1 you dont dance with very often or even if you have never danced with them before. I also dont like the grippy thumb thing but as a man have found that by offering just a finger or 2 tends to relive that a lot!!
M

I agree, girls don't like dancing with sweaty smelly men that's why the underpant need checking regularly :whistle: :innocent: i'm sure guys don't like dancing with sweaty ladies:sick: thats why I change a lot :waycool: well that's my excuses nothing to do with getting all the 'outfits' in :innocent:

I will have to sample these two fingers at SP :wink: :eek: :D

Mac
27th-May-2007, 11:36 AM
Bad Breath and BO are my worst things in a dance partner ( or any kind of partner come to that! :whistle: ) Fortunately I have a poor sense of smel due to early boxing career ( but thats another story!) so if I can smell it, boy I feel sorry for anyone with a keen sense of smell !!:really:

Then its those partners who chuck themselves into a drop when you meant a lean:(

( could be the result of a poor lead though so I try to make mine very obvious :what: ) I get over that by watching dancers first if can to try to get an idea of what to expect. That said I very rearly turn anyone down for a dance!:flower:

The hand crunchers can be tamed by leading with just one of two fingers. This works well for me also:worthy: