PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: Blaze or Southport?

Bloomer Blues
29th-June-2006, 04:44 PM
Hello Scots

I am considering coming over for the Scottish weekender in Ayrshire in May (Blaze) or Southport in June. I can only come over for one of them so I wanted the locals opinion of which do you think will be the better event? :confused:

Thanks

BB

Yliander
29th-June-2006, 04:50 PM
Hello Scots

I am considering coming over for the Scottish weekender in Ayrshire in May (Blaze) or Southport in June. I can only come over for one of them so I wanted the locals opinion of which do you think will be the better event? :confused:

Thanks

BB If I could I would go to the June Southport again next year .... however I will be back home by then

Minnie M
29th-June-2006, 05:30 PM
Gosh that IS a hard decision, both are going to be fantastic.

However, I think you will know more people at Blaze and as it is Franck's first venture it WILL be amazing (Franck really knows how to party) I would say pick the Scottish one AND you never know you might get an 'extension' and then you could do both :clap:

Gadget
29th-June-2006, 09:28 PM
The poll will be bias of course - a lot more dancers from dawn souf, and proportional representation means that there are a lot more dawn souf dancers on here... even if it is the CerocScotland forum :D

Southport is more established and has a huge draw of folk from everywhere.
Blaze will attract Scottish dancers, forumites and anyone who's experianced Franck's weekends and partys :worthy: (Oh, and the ocasional danceaholic from dawn souf that picks up a flyer and fancies a trip north :D)

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
29th-June-2006, 09:48 PM
Well if I was not busy that weekend I would be going to Blaze with some Glasgow peeps. It's the first ever blaze weekend, that will only happen once (duh) so i'd say go there, it will be fun and set the standard for years to come. x

TheTramp
29th-June-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't care.

But only because I'll be at both, and will look forward to seeing you again! :clap:

foxylady
29th-June-2006, 10:46 PM
I'd love to do both, but I can't... So have chosen to do Southport as I know it, and its a tried and trusted fab weekend (and Jordan and Tatiana are going to be there !!)...

Franck always hold the best parties, the weekender should be fab and if I could do both i'd be there like a shot ! Why is life full of choices !

Nice to meet you in london (at ISH), and nice to dance with your friend (although I've already forgotten his name.... )... He tells me that Florida is the only place to dance Lindy !!

ducasi
29th-June-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm definitely going to be at Blaze – I've booked.

I also expect I'll be at Southport next June – it was fab this year.

I think you should come to Blaze though, as that's going to make it more all the more likely that all the best dancers will want to come to it. :flower:

I would try to tempt you by pointing out all the things about Scotland that England just can't beat, but I don't want to play dirty... ;)

Perhaps the presence of Kevin and Carla would be an attraction for you, or do you get to see them every other week over there?

It's also worth pointing out that the weekend after Blaze, Kevin and Carla will be doing more workshops at a Beach Ballroom weekend in Aberdeen, so if you can stay for that you get to see them twice, plus presumably they'll be hanging around these parts for a week...

Either way, I'll be cool to see you again – just make sure you bring that peach dress. :D

David Bailey
29th-June-2006, 11:53 PM
From what I can tell, Southport is the premier large-scale MJ weekender in the UK, bar none - great classes, best dancers, most established, runs like a smooth machine, etc. etc. Although, if you're not with friends, it could be intimidating, partially because of those factors.

I'd estimate that the first Blaze will be equally memorable - the first of hopefully many, welcoming, friendly, party atmosphere, etc.

So, it depends on what you want.

Personally, I'd go with Southport, as it's a known quantity and as most of the Scottish contingent will be there anyway - but not all the Southport contingent will be at Blaze. If you see what I mean...

I would try to tempt you by pointing out all the things about Scotland that England just can't beat, but I don't want to play dirty... ;)
Good point - if it's a tourist thing, i.e. you want to travel around there after, then definitely Scotland is better than Southport.

under par
30th-June-2006, 08:22 AM
From what I can tell, Southport is the premier large-scale MJ weekender in the UK, bar none -........... loads a good valid points from DJ .

I'm going to both:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: but if I had to pick it would be Southport:respect: :respect: for all the reasons given by David James:worthy:

Minnie M
30th-June-2006, 02:02 PM
Most people are giving their personal choice :( I will be at both, if I had to choose for myself it would be Southport as Jordon & Tat are there - but for Bloomer Blues I still think Blaze would be better

The punters really make the weekend have the edge - and with Franck and Tiggerbabe and their team running this PLUS all those lovely friendly scots it will be fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: and you know most already AND Scotland in May is amazing if you have never been there at that time. (it never seems to get dark :flower: ) - just look at that wounderful piccie advertising it (top left of screen):drool:

Donna
30th-June-2006, 02:08 PM
I reckon Southport

linny lou!
30th-June-2006, 02:51 PM
Blaze,think itl b really good fun! there was lots of great reports from BFG :respect: and think that Blaze will be even better! I havent been to a big event yet but itl b a must for me in 2007 :clap:

ginger M
30th-June-2006, 03:23 PM
Shame these are so close together, I think I might go to Southport, rave reviews from people who've been. Bigger event & more teachers. Re. Blaze- anyone seen Kevin & Carla btw? Lindy Hop I think, from the clip on line

Piglet
30th-June-2006, 04:14 PM
I've never been to Southport so don't want to put you off of that one, but Blaze should have a real feel-good feel to it since its the first one. I've voted Blaze, simply because I'm going there and can't "do" Southport at the moment - unless I want to leave early...

Lynn
30th-June-2006, 06:10 PM
Difficult choice. But they both offer a different experience - so decide what sort of weekender experience you want, what additional 'to do' things you are planning for the rest of your time and make the decision based on that. I'm sure both will be really good events and you would have a wonderful time at either. (I'll be at both!)

Jive Brummie
30th-June-2006, 07:50 PM
Don't know the teaching line up for Blaze as yet but on average, and it's only a guess, I'd suggest that the better option might be Southport....

Jive Addiction seem to be more than capable of getting in the 'big-boys...and girls' for your learning delight, and I've got to be honest, I'm not really sure who Kevin and Carla are:blush:

Shame you can't do both.

stewart38
3rd-July-2006, 11:37 AM
Shame these are so close together, I think I might go to Southport, rave reviews from people who've been. Bigger event & more teachers. Re. Blaze- anyone seen Kevin & Carla btw? Lindy Hop I think, from the clip on line

there not on the same weekend though are they ??

Franck
3rd-July-2006, 02:10 PM
there not on the same weekend though are they ??No, they are a month apart. Blaze in on the 7th May 2007 and Southport on the 1st June.

As others have said, Southport is a brilliant week-ender with a superb Blues room and great dancers. Blaze will be a smaller, more intimate week-ender, but apart from that, the differences will be in the location (Scotland Ayrshire or Northern England) and the fact that accommodation will be mostly in caravans for Blaze (very nice ones too :D ) or chalets in Southport.

With regards to the teacher's line-up, this is something I will not cut corners with. My main priorities with all events I've organised was to get people I considered to be experts in their fields and getting them to share with us some of their wisdom and expertise. I can't confirm a full line-up yet, though I'm working on it.

Anyone who wonders who Kevin and Carla are should first check the videos I've put on the Blaze website (http://ceroc.com/blaze), then could visit their website: www.kevinandcarla.com (http://www.kevinandcarla.com). I was first impressed by their musicality and skills watching their videos. I have since bought all their DVDs and discovered that as well as brilliant performers, they are excellent teachers who really understand what they are talking about.

Kevin and Carla have been innovative and have completely changed my perception of Lindy. I used to think it was a fast, 'full of kicks' dance but since watching 'Slow lindy' I understand much better how Lindy led to West Coast Swing. I also noticed on the latest Jordan and Tatian videos that many of the really cool slides and tricks they use were on the slides DVD Kevin and Carla produced a couple of year back, so it looks like all the best dancers are learning from each other!

Finally, Cathy, to help answer your question, I'm sure Southport will be brilliant, and I'm working hard to make sure that Blaze will make Scotland proud, so go with dates that suit you as I expect most people you want to see again will be at both!

Lory
4th-July-2006, 02:54 PM
Kevin and Carla ~snip~visit their website: www.kevinandcarla.com (http://www.kevinandcarla.com). I was first impressed by their musicality and skills watching their videos.
When I watched the video's, I was sure I'd seen this guy dance before and I was right (no one can forget that 'slow one legged spin' :what: :worthy: )

I'm sure this is him, performing with another girl http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9137969574019234586&q=swing+dance

The style doesn't really turn me on but WOW, no one can argue with their musical interpretation! :waycool: It's the kind of routine that makes me smile the whole way through :na: :cheers:

Also, here's some more clips (http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=kevin+and+carla+lindy), I love the slips and slides :nice:

Dorothy
4th-July-2006, 04:09 PM
I have read about both weekends and they look fabulous :respect:
Given a choice (unfortunately I can't afford both time/money-wise) I will be choosing Southport methinks, heard so much about it, and it's nice to get away from Scotland, feels like more of a holiday. Not so sure about the caravans at Haven :sick:

Franck
4th-July-2006, 04:14 PM
Not so sure about the caravans at Haven :sick:Caravans are one of the best things about BLAZE. All caravans are new (under 4 years) and are very well furnished, giving a real sense of luxury and because they are proper 12ft caravans, they should feel spacious too. Each caravan also has its own parking space so you can drive to your doorstep!

As for the holiday feel, Ayrshire is one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland and should be resplendent in May. The views over the sea are exactly as the photo of the sunset at the top of the page! :waycool:

Lory
4th-July-2006, 04:58 PM
Not so sure about the caravans at Haven :sick:
Dorothy, your in for a 'lovely surprise' with pontins chalets then :whistle: :D

I've just discovered how famous Kevin and Carla really are.... not many people have parody's attributed to them and IMO this routine (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=349926517633642982&q=kevin+and+carla+lindy)is the absolute NUTS, it's hillarious! :worthy: :rofl: :worthy: :rofl: :worthy: (listen out for the man in the audience laughing :na: )

under par
4th-July-2006, 06:48 PM
I've just discovered how famous Kevin and Carla really are.... not many people have parody's attributed to them and a: )

Superb dancers WOW what technique... if that is a parody I can't wait to see the real thing:yeah:

Rhythm King
4th-July-2006, 07:42 PM
I've just discovered how famous Kevin and Carla really are.... not many people have parody's attributed to them and IMO this routine (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=349926517633642982&q=kevin+and+carla+lindy)
WOW!:really: That's awesome!!! :worthy: :rofl: :worthy:

Of course Chef and Rob do a pretty mean Nigel and Nina :whistle:

Lindsay
4th-July-2006, 11:17 PM
Of course Chef and Rob do a pretty mean Nigel and Nina :whistle:

I think I can post a clip of that....
BB '04 I believe?

Tiggerbabe
5th-July-2006, 01:02 PM
I've just discovered how famous Kevin and Carla really are.... not many people have parody's attributed to them and IMO this routine (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=349926517633642982&q=kevin+and+carla+lindy)is the absolute NUTS, it's hillarious! :worthy: :rofl: :worthy: :rofl: :worthy: (listen out for the man in the audience laughing :na: )
It's a brilliant routine, isn't it? We'll need to see if we can get them to come over too :wink:

jacksondonut
5th-July-2006, 01:20 PM
Its definately Blaze for me.. time to do somethin new:yeah: :D Booked up straight away.. :D Cant wait...

Watched the Kevin and Carla parodie and loved it... Lindy is such a fun dance.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

:cheers:

Dorothy
6th-July-2006, 02:28 PM
Dorothy, your in for a 'lovely surprise' with pontins chalets then
: )

Really that bad @ Southport? o dear. I've heard they are 'acceptable'. Rumours about Craig Tara aren't too inticing either. The Southport event has better teachers i think, people rave on about it a lot too.

ducasi
6th-July-2006, 02:42 PM
Really that bad @ Southport? o dear. I've heard they are 'acceptable'. Rumours about Craig Tara aren't too inticing either. The Southport event has better teachers i think, people rave on about it a lot too.
They're mostly raving about the dancing – not the teachers. Though they did have a good set of teacher back in June.

I've experienced Southport's chalets (do you like ants with your tea?), and I've seen pictures of the Craig Tara caravans.

The caravans look palatial in comparison to the chalets.

Franck
6th-July-2006, 02:55 PM
The caravans look palatial in comparison to the chalets.I agree, and I have been to Camber, Southport and visited Craig Tara... Caravans are new, and feel cosy and luxurious. Most chalets are pretty basic in comparison.

Of course if you go there for the dancing and general partying, then the accommodation doesn't matter as you hardly sleep, but having visited Craig Tara, I'm taking a holiday there (not a dancing one) as I was so impressed, whereas, if it wasn't for the dancing, I would never book a holiday in either Southport or Camber...
Whatever rumours you've heard Dorothy, they didn't come from someone who had been to Craig Tara, or could compare with other week-enders! :flower:

Lory
6th-July-2006, 04:23 PM
Most chalets are pretty basic
A very embarrassing true story...............

I've been lucky enough to have some very nice holidays, in some fabulous places and have shared numerous photos and stories with one of my clients.:drool: :waycool:

Anyway, having heard me talking about my weekends at Camber and realising i'd been back on several occasions, she took this as a 'silent' recommendation :what: :eek:
On the strength of it, she booked a WEEK with her family! :really: :CRINGE: :sick: :rolleyes: (she didn't tell me)

Let's just say, my street cred has sinse diminished, to ZILTCH! :blush: :rofl:
She didn't last the week! :wink:

TheTramp
7th-July-2006, 12:58 AM
Thanks Lory. I needed that laugh!

I'm going to chuckle about that one all day! :respect:

Dorothy
7th-July-2006, 03:22 PM
They're mostly raving about the dancing – not the teachers. Though they did have a good set of teacher back in June.

I've experienced Southport's chalets (do you like ants with your tea?), and I've seen pictures of the Craig Tara caravans.

The caravans look palatial in comparison to the chalets.

ok ok point taken, yeuch-ants in the chalet!! Everyone seems to rave on about Southport, a lot of my dancing freinds in Edinburgh have already booked (but I dont think that's for June). I just want to try it out, see what the hype is about, so that's the main reason I've chosen it. There is another dance fever weekend in November (Perth) I'm hoping to go to, would love to do them all to be honest! Sure whoever goes to Craig Tara will have a ball, it looks like fun :grin:

Franck
8th-July-2006, 11:29 AM
would love to do them all to be honest! Sure whoever goes to Craig Tara will have a ball, it looks like fun :grin:You're right, all those week-enders!

- The Stirling Jango week-end on the 22nd23rd July (with Amir).
- The Scottish Champs on the 9th September.
- Another Stirling week-ender on 23rd/24th September (with top guest teacher)
- Focus week-ender in Kirriemuir (near Dundee) on 20th/22nd October
- Beach Ballroom week-end with Stefano & Alexandra (Tango in Action) 18th/19th November Aberdeen.
- Beach Ballroom week-ender 17th/18th February 2007 (with another great guest teacher)
- Blaze week-ender, Ayr - 11th/14th May 2007: The first ever MJ week-ender in Scotland...

We've never had it so good in Scotland and there's a lot more in the pipeline for 2007-8 with more international guest teachers scheduled to teach for Ceroc Scotland... :waycool:

under par
8th-July-2006, 11:39 AM
You're right, all those week-enders!

- Beach Ballroom week-end with Stefano & Alexandra (Tango in Action) 18th/19th November Aberdeen.
- Beach Ballroom week-ender 17th/18th February 2007 (with another great guest teacher)
- Blaze week-ender, Ayr - 11th/14th May 2007: The first ever MJ week-ender in Scotland...

We've never had it so good in Scotland and there's a lot more in the pipeline for 2007-8 with more international guest teachers scheduled to teach for Ceroc Scotland... :waycool:

Moderator... moderator.... blatant advertising going on above... MODERATOR !!!:whistle:

Franck
8th-July-2006, 11:47 AM
You're right, all those week-enders!

Moderator... moderator.... blatant advertising going on above... MODERATOR !!!:whistle:Whoops, you got me, I'll have to get Lory and Tiggerbabe to discipline me accordingly :devil:

under par
8th-July-2006, 11:47 AM
Whoops, you got me, I'll have to get Lory and Tiggerbabe to discipline me accordingly :devil:

Can I watch:D :D :D

Franck
8th-July-2006, 11:50 AM
Can I watch:D :D :D
Only if you turn up at one of those week-ends before Blaze (I know you and Sharon already booked for Blaze and the Scottish Champs) :wink:

under par
8th-July-2006, 11:54 AM
Only if you turn up at one of those week-ends before Blaze (I know you and Sharon already booked for Blaze) :wink:
and the Scottish Champs.... we're sharing hotels remember:cheers: :wink:

Moderator !!! he's at it again

We'll try our best

Tiggerbabe
8th-July-2006, 01:04 PM
Moderator !!! he's at it againHe's a naughty boy :wink:

Lory
9th-July-2006, 08:15 PM
Whoops, you got me, I'll have to get Lory and Tiggerbabe to discipline me accordingly :devil:
:yeah: the perks of being a moderator :devil: :D :wink: