PDA

View Full Version : A Tango videos dvds

Mr Cool
21st-June-2006, 11:41 PM
ladies and gents I love AT but the quality classes for me are at Bristol, which are difficult for me to attend. Although I have a handle on the basics from going to Edwardo's classes :respect: Due to business comitments I just cannot make the classes any more. Anybody know which are the best instructional dvd / video's to buy?
:cheers: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :cheers:

JonD
22nd-June-2006, 01:17 AM
I just cannot make the classes any more
Greetings and sympathy from a rather pissed JonD (I've just been out to a concert and dinner at the University and I'm feeling pleasantly relaxed)! Eduardo is great; it must be horribly frustrating to have fallen in love with AT and not be able to get to his classes. It sounds like you're in the same boat as Lynn!

There are some reviews of DVDs here (http://www.tejastango.com/video_resources.html). Julie and I have this one (http://www.tejastango.com/video_resources.html#DeAmoLapadula) - "Tango Estilo del Centro" - on 2 DVDs (US format) and find it excellent even if the English translation seems a little sparse (you can hear them rattling on in Spanish and the translator says about 2 words!). We picked it up in Buenos Aires last year and have used it to work out some figures, most notably for the demonstration dance we did in Totnes earlier this year.

A word of caution. Julie and I spent quite a lot of time working out how to do one particular, flashy, figure for that demonstration - a giro with 2 sacadas, a "flying" barida and finishing with a boleo. A couple of months ago we had a private lesson in Bristol with our friends Komala and Stefan from El Corte, organised by Tango West. I worked with Komala and, after she'd spent the best part of an hour improving the way in which I take a side-step (yikes) I attempted to lead her through this figure. She followed it OK and then proceeded to take my lead apart; weight shifts, steps, disassociation, pivots, the lot. She gave me so much that I hadn't appreciated from the DVD.

Watching a DVD, even slowed down 16 times, allows you to get the movements but not the fine points of lead and execution. They're better than nothing but I'd try to get a private lesson at least every 6 weeks or so to ensure that you aren't developing bad habits or missing key points. Eduardo is great and I hear that Tango West's "teacher in residence", Cesar Velasquez, is good although I haven't been to one of his classes; Phil can probably provide more details. When Komala & Stefan visit again then they are a "must"; they're expensive teachers at £40+ per hour but, boy, are they worth it! Eric Jørissen is fantastic so try to catch him on one of his rare visits to the country (next one seems to be London, 29th October - see the El Corte (http://www.elcorte.com/learn/ontour.htm) website). Eric is just amazing. I've no idea if you can get a private lesson with him - I've never had one but I'd happily pay £100 for an hour of his time. He's that good.

If you can get away for a weekend fix have a think about: Tango Mango (http://www.tangoindevon.co.uk/tangomango.html) (come and say hi to Julie, Clive, Lynn and me - we'll be there over the weekend) or Tango Tangk (http://www.tangouk.co.uk/workshops.htm) (Julie and I are doing the one at the end of June).

If you see a DVD you like but can't get hold of a copy then let me know. It's a few months away but Julie and I are going to Buenos Aires in October and will happily try and buy a copy there for you - and it'll probably be a mite cheaper than ordering direct. Mind you, you'll need a "region free" DVD player as they are all coded for the Americas.

Lynn
22nd-June-2006, 11:56 PM
it must be horribly frustrating to have fallen in love with AT and not be able to get to his classes. It sounds like you're in the same boat as Lynn! Yes, I can totally sympathise!

I would agree with the comments about a DVD not really being useful to learn too much. Its possible with MJ as its so move based, but I think AT being so technique based, no matter how much you 'look and copy' you are going to have limited learning.

However, I have a DVD and while I can't 'learn' much in terms of things I can put into practice in my own dancing (not yet anyway) I do find it inspirational to watch. Its a way of keeping focused on what I love about tango, that and listening to lots of tango music and posting on here. Its a subsitute for actually dancing but it keeps me connected somehow, to tango.

I have accepted that I'm going to have to learn tango in little bits, watching a DVD, looking for opportunities to go to classes, travelling to learn. Its not going to be steady progress but all those little bits will add up slowly. If you're really addicted you will find a way!

ElaineB
9th-July-2006, 10:32 AM
ladies and gents I love AT but the quality classes for me are at Bristol, which are difficult for me to attend. Although I have a handle on the basics from going to Edwardo's classes :respect: Due to business comitments I just cannot make the classes any more. Anybody know which are the best instructional dvd / video's to buy?
:cheers: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :cheers:

Hey, wondered where you were!

I went last Thursday, first time for about 4 months and had a wonderful time.......going again next week and can't wait!

Simon and I have moved over to the dark side (Latin and Ballroom) and with so many dances to learn, AT has moved to the back burner unfortunately!

Elaine
x