PDA

View Full Version : Monster Jive Cocktail 12th August 2006 Brookwood Surrey

stewart38
21st-June-2006, 10:47 AM
Almost worth it just to see Yuval and Nathalie again

I see its only a full day thing and not a weekend ?

Monster Jive Cocktail
Once again, MJC promises to be one of the most exciting events on the jive and swing dance calendar.

At Bisley Pavilion, Brookwood (near Woking) Surrey on Saturday 12th August 2006 the event comprises 18 dance workshops in 3 rooms during the day with some of the best teaching couples in the UK as well as our special guest teachers from the US, followed by the hottest social dancing in 2 rooms during the evening until 01.00 a.m.
Our three times and current world champion international teaching stars are Yuval Hodd & Nathalie Gomes who were first seen at MJC in June last year when they gave the most spectacuar cabaret ever seen at a UK jive or swing event. Yuval & Nathalie are famous throughout the world for their gravity defying arials, musicality, and exceptional smooth style of lindy hop. Their newest cabaret won them first place in Showcase when first seen last month at the USA Grand Nationals in Atlanta, US and will be seen for the first time in the UK at MJC. Yuval and Nathalie Nathallie have more world and US titles than we could list in lindy hop and swing but have a wealth of experince in dance and tecnhique that they will be adapting for our modern jive event.

Those who want to learn lindy hop or to improve their lindy hop with Yuval and Nathalie can take advantage of a separate day of lindy only workshops on Sunday 13th August 2006 (see www.ceroc.org.uk).

In addition to Yuval and Nathalie, MJC offers workshopswith some of the best teaching coupes on the UK jive scence including Adam & Tas (2004 National Showcase champions at both the Ceroc Chamionships and Britroc) Paul Warden (twice World champion) Howard & Nicola (UK National Blues Champions) David Rokov & Val Forsey (2003 UK Blues Champions & Jivemasters Grand finalists 2004) Mick Wenger, Mark Farrell & Karolina (from Ceroc & Modern Jive Australia) and Siu Fai Yuen. The daytime workshops commence at 09.30 a.m. and offer the finest tuition in a variety of styles including modern jive, west coast swing, blues, lindy hop, latin and street dance.
The evening offers the best music for all. The Bisley Pavilion ballroom is fully sprung, one of the finest dance floors in the Surrey area, and host top modern jive DJs. A second and equally spacious room will feature the best of west coast and blues.
The price of an all-day and evening ticket is £40 and a limited number of evening only tickets are available at £15. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
Full details of the event are available at: www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk

TiggsTours
21st-June-2006, 11:14 AM
I notice they have two of the most fantastic lindy hop teachers in the world there doing classes, and not one DJ who's likely to play any lindy music in the evening. I would normally have gone to this, but even with Nathalie and Yuval there, MJC seems to have become too Ceroc-i-fied for my liking now: Latin, latin, latin, drops & seducers, latin, blues, latin, WCS, latin, latin, latin, oh, and lets throw in a courtesy taster of swing just to keep that lot quiet too.

spindr
21st-June-2006, 11:45 AM
I notice they have two of the most fantastic lindy hop teachers in the world there doing classes, and not one DJ who's likely to play any lindy music in the evening.
Do you know all the DJs?

I'm pretty sure that Rob McKim (The "Jive Jock") could put his hands on a few swing records :)

From a Lindy point of view Laurence Ward (The "Jazz Devil") is the DJ at the 500 club (http://the500club.co.uk) -- a purely Lindy freestyle.

Last year there were three dance floors, but that was a 2 day event.

SpinDr

P.S. Is this thread worth joining with the other MJC one?

David Bailey
21st-June-2006, 11:59 AM
Latin, latin, latin, drops & seducers, latin, blues, latin, WCS, latin, latin, latin, oh, and lets throw in a courtesy taster of swing just to keep that lot quiet too.
Yeah. Darnit.

All that WCS and Swing dancing... :whistle:

TiggsTours
21st-June-2006, 12:17 PM
Do you know all the DJs?

I'm pretty sure that Rob McKim (The "Jive Jock") could put his hands on a few swing records :)

From a Lindy point of view Laurence Ward (The "Jazz Devil") is the DJ at the 500 club (http://the500club.co.uk) -- a purely Lindy freestyle.

Last year there were three dance floors, but that was a 2 day event.

SpinDr

P.S. Is this thread worth joining with the other MJC one?
Whenever I've seen Rob McKim, its been very much straight Ceroc stuff, maybe he's not always like that, I haven't seen much of him, and I'm obviously getting Laurence Ward mixed up with another DJ called Laurence, who plays alot of latin, and no swing at all.

Yeah. Darnit.

All that WCS and Swing dancing...

Most WCS DJs that I've seen nowadays play more R&B than anything else, and although some WCS swing stuff you can do some slow lindy too, I like the fast stuff! I like to burn calories!

spindr
21st-June-2006, 12:27 PM
I like to burn calories!
See you at MJC then; we can burn calories together :devil:

SpinDr

LMC
21st-June-2006, 12:54 PM
Izzit gender balanced? I'm guessing not, remembering the Saturday freestyle last year :sick: ...

Minnie M
21st-June-2006, 01:45 PM
I notice they have two of the most fantastic lindy hop teachers in the world there doing classes, and not one DJ who's likely to play any lindy music in the evening. I would normally have gone to this, but even with Nathalie and Yuval there, MJC seems to have become too Ceroc-i-fied for my liking now: Latin, latin, latin, drops & seducers, latin, blues, latin, WCS, latin, latin, latin, oh, and lets throw in a courtesy taster of swing just to keep that lot quiet too.

Whenever I've seen Rob McKim, its been very much straight Ceroc stuff
only because he has been instructed - Rob is NOT a MJ DJ - he is normally in the swing/blues room at MJC - well has been since it started - he is one of the original swing DJs :worthy:

BTW he had complaints at Franco's last Camber for playing too much swing

Lory
21st-June-2006, 02:01 PM
Latin, latin, latin, drops & seducers, latin, blues, latin, WCS, latin, latin, latin,
Gosh, you almost sold it to me for a minute :na: but then .....

Izzit gender balanced? I'm guessing not, remembering the Saturday freestyle last year :sick: ...
I remembered this small point, although, I think I was there on the Friday not the Saturday :confused: not only was it 'extremely unbalanced' but it also was very quiet too! :(

Minnie M
21st-June-2006, 02:09 PM
......... I was there on the Friday not the Saturday :confused: not only was it 'extremely unbalanced' but it also was very quiet too!
possibly the reason why it is a 'one day' event now....

I think it will be fab :clap: and you will greeted as you arrive by the lovely Almost an Angel and me too :flower: :D

Zebra Woman
21st-June-2006, 04:54 PM
I hope it goes well Minnie.

But for me to drive over a 150 mile round trip I need to know who the DJs are and that the numbers will be reasonably balanced.

Minnie M
22nd-June-2006, 12:24 AM
.......But for me to drive over a 150 mile round trip I need to know who the DJs are and that the numbers will be reasonably balanced.
:tears:
this is MJC '10' - true the last one was not up to their usual standard (mainly because of the lack of gender control) - so is it downhill from now on ................ :tears:

I do hope not, MJC started life as a one-dayer, so hopefully this will bring them back on top again - I reckon it is going to be good :clap:

TiggsTours
23rd-June-2006, 09:52 AM
:tears:
this is MJC '10' - true the last one was not up to their usual standard (mainly because of the lack of gender control) Are you sure that wasn't down to the new people who are running it? MJC used to be great, when it was independant, since Ceroc bought it, its changed.

Minnie M
23rd-June-2006, 08:10 PM
Are you sure that wasn't down to the new people who are running it? MJC used to be great, when it was independant, since Ceroc bought it, its changed.Simon White is still co-running it - it is was 'one of a kind' when it first started, personally I think a lot of the 'old' crowd have moved on and therefore the atmospher is different

BTW that doesn't make it bad or a possible flop, it just means that it is different - I still think it is worth a visit

Almost an Angel
29th-June-2006, 10:42 AM
Sorry been away and only had time to reply to this now

I notice they have two of the most fantastic lindy hop teachers in the world there doing classes, and not one DJ who's likely to play any lindy music in the evening.

I beg to differ there MJC has always promoted swing dancing -
Who brought Natalie and Yuval over last year, and Ryan and Jenny the previous year!! As Minnie and Spindr have said there are a number of Swing DJ's who will be at MJC. Last year we even had Sheena Davis Group there- what do they - play - oh let me see - Swing. Rob and Laurence are both excellent Swing DJ's and I'm sure they will provide more than enough Swing music to keep people happy.

As for the rest of the programme - MJC has always promoted different styles of dancing, Of the people announced as teaching there I'm finding hard to see all the latin latin latin you were on about.

I would normally have gone to this, but even with Nathalie and Yuval there, MJC seems to have become too Ceroc-i-fied for my liking now: Latin, latin, latin, drops & seducers, latin, blues, latin, WCS, latin, latin, latin, oh, and lets throw in a courtesy taster of swing just to keep that lot quiet too

Natalie & Yuval - Swing
Adam & Tas - Street,Funky Jive
Paul Warden - WCS
Howard & Nicola - Blues & Latin
David Rokov & Val Forsey - Blues & Latin
Mick Wenger - Jive
Mark Farrell & Karolina - Jive
Siu Fai Yuen - hip hop & Jive

Nope still not seeing it. Sorry Tiggs

Lory - yes I know it was quiet on the Friday last year there is no getting away from that most people turned up on the Saturday morning- so I for one support the decision of them going back to a single day - and anyway MJC originally started out as a single day as Minnie reminded everyone.

The Saturday and the Cabaret was truly amazing - Anyone who missed Natalie and Yuval last year should really try to make it to see them in person -you won't be dissapointed. The video clips of them are great but live it has to be seen.

I for one will be there on the front desk with Minnie so any forumites who are coming to MJC please stop by and say Hi to us both, especally those I haven't met before.

Angel xx

TiggsTours
29th-June-2006, 10:59 AM
I beg to differ there MJC has always promoted swing dancing -
I agree, in the past it always has, which is why I have always been before, however, since Ceroc bought it, you have to admit its changed, alot.

As Minnie and Spindr have said there are a number of Swing DJ's who will be at MJC......Rob and Laurence are both excellent Swing DJ's and I'm sure they will provide more than enough Swing music to keep people happy.

And I have already said that I was getting one of the DJs mixed up with someone else, who only plays latin, and that the other Swing DJ I have only ever seen at Jive events, where he hasn't played much swing

Last year we even had Sheena Davis Group there- what do they - play - oh let me see - Swing.
Ah, but that was last year, just because it was that way then, doesn't mean it will be this year.

As for the rest of the programme - MJC has always promoted different styles of dancing, Of the people announced as teaching there I'm finding hard to see all the latin latin latin you were on about.
In the past, yes, and I haven't once disputed that.

Natalie & Yuval - Swing - Give you that one
Adam & Tas - Street,Funky Jive - Give you that one
Paul Warden - WCS - Excellent, but always seem to use R&B music, with a latin twist, what happened to the great slower swing tracks people used to use for WCS,
Howard & Nicola - Blues & Latin - Latin
David Rokov & Val Forsey - Blues & Latin - Latin
Mick Wenger - Jive - Jive always seems to have a latin slant to it nowadays
Mark Farrell & Karolina - Jive - As above
Siu Fai Yuen - hip hop & Jive - As above

I always used to love MJC, but I think its changed since Ceroc bought it, and Ceroc has become just far too latin for my taste. I know that alot of people like it, but there are alot of us out there as well who actually don't! What happened to the time that Jive catered to everybody's tastes, not just one sector?

Almost an Angel
29th-June-2006, 11:25 AM
Paul's WCS doesn't have a lot of latin in it - Well hasn't when I've been dancing with him - I suppose it depends upon what DJ's you have at the event and sometimes if you want to WCS you have to do it to something with a Latin beat or not at all.

Sheepman plays a lot of different music I admit some of it is R'n'B but if you've heard some of his sets (in a swing& blues room at Grt Bookham for example) they include a lot of slow swing (with no latin stuff in sight). Also Laurence has also been know to throw in some WCS tracks (especially when I ask him nicely) as well as playing mostly swing from slow to very very fast!!! (without being asked).

As for the teachers I've no experience of the Australian couple so not sure re the latin there and I'll accept Dave & Val and Howard & Nicola are latin based to a certain extent but Sui Fai's Jive does not have a latin twist to it - Funky and street probably, as for Mick it depends sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Paul definately not in my experience.

Ceroc has become just far too latin for my taste. I know that alot of people like it, but there are alot of us out there as well who actually don't! What happened to the time that Jive catered to everybody's tastes, not just one sector?

I think it still does you just have to look that bit harder - there are always influences from other styles creeping into jive and disappearing again - which means Owners are trying to give the punters what they're asking for at the time - only to have it change. Personally I for one have to work hard with latin based styling it's not my favourite although I can do it - give me swing or WCS every time.

Angel x

TiggsTours
29th-June-2006, 12:02 PM
I think it still does you just have to look that bit harder -
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on all of this.

Paul F
29th-June-2006, 01:08 PM
Mark Farrell & Karolina - Jive

Who is this gentleman who has such a majestic, dignified and repsected surname ????? :grin:

Cant say I have ever met any other teacher with the same surname as me!

TiggsTours
29th-June-2006, 01:16 PM
Simon White is still co-running it - it is was 'one of a kind' when it first started, personally I think a lot of the 'old' crowd have moved on and therefore the atmospher is different

BTW that doesn't make it bad or a possible flop, it just means that it is different - I still think it is worth a visit
Absolutely, and I'm not saying its bad or good either, I know alot of people love the way things are now, all I'm saying is that I personally don't, all I have done is express the personal opinion I quite within my rights to have.

stewart38
29th-June-2006, 02:01 PM
I hope it goes well Minnie.

But for me to drive over a 150 mile round trip I need to know who the DJs are and that the numbers will be reasonably balanced.

Was a fair inbalance last time,which meant im sure i got a dance off ZW :grin: