PDA

View Full Version : Dancing on your own at Jive/ceroc events

stewart38
20th-June-2006, 05:25 PM
I asked a guy (at Southport) who was boogieing away on his own at the side of the dancefloor for a dance and he turned me down. I think that's pretty cr*p.

Wx

I’ve seen many women dance on their own at weekenders , now men :what:

I see its now happening at normal weekend events

Is this a good thing, do we need hand bags at the ready

Should we have a separate section ?

what if everyone starts to dance on their own ?

Is this the end of Jive ?? :tears:

Does the 'no need to bring a partner' have a new meaning ?

ps ive done it myself for at least a minute seems to be catching

Frankie_4711
20th-June-2006, 08:43 PM
On the very rare occasions when I'm not dancing WITH someone, I am always jigging and wiggling around by myself, but there is NO WAY I would turn down the opportunity to dance WITH someone in favour of carrying on on my own!

Rhythm King
20th-June-2006, 09:22 PM
I am always jigging and wiggling around by myself
I think you'll find that, in fact, you're being led by DavidB (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=242088#post242088), you just don't realise it :whistle:

Frankie_4711
20th-June-2006, 09:33 PM
Aha!! I KNEW there was a reason!!

Beowulf
20th-June-2006, 09:36 PM
now.. I'm sad, but even I wouldn't turn down a dance and while I jiggle myself at the side..

How peculiar?

Trousers
20th-June-2006, 10:30 PM
ps ive done it myself for at least a minute seems to be catching
You've been 'angin round wit' Fletch too much matey.

I'm sure she's actually taken her bag on the floor to make a point before now.

Good on her I say. Ain't it about havin a good time?

MartinHarper
21st-June-2006, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I do this. I enjoy it, and it sometimes helps me reconnect to the music a bit. Also, it requires less thinking than leading, which can be a factor. When it gets late, and the body is willing but the mind is half-asleep, I need to get some breaks from leading without stopping moving too much. Some following and some solo-dancing does the trick.

I guess I might turn down an offer of a dance if I'm solo-dancing in a group of people, or I might turn down a offer to lead a dance if my brain really wouldn't be able to cope. Hasn't happened yet.

Piglet
21st-June-2006, 12:05 AM
Nope can't say I'd be tempted to dance on my own - its much more fun with a partner :D Besides I was never really into dancing around a handbag - but give me a whole dancefloor to myself and bare feet and my favourite Billy Idol/Grace Jones record, then that might be a different matter (though I'd still prefer a partner).

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
21st-June-2006, 12:11 AM
Well, as someone who also goes to clubs to 'solo dance' with other people, lol. I would also say that I would NEVER turn down a dance just so I could dance on my own. I am usually found wiggling at the side of the floor when I am not dancing, but I wouldn't turn someone down, now that's just not nice :sad: unless I hated dancing with them, then it might be different...

mikeyr
21st-June-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Wendy

I asked a guy (at Southport) who was boogieing away on his own at the side of the dancefloor for a dance and he turned me down. I think that's pretty cr*p.

Wx

Am I sure that was me. I was dancing on my own then because, the way I prefer to dance to that particular track is on my own. If I was just boogieing in the corner because I had no partner then I would have acquisced. If came across as being rude, I apologise.

IMHO NOT every piece of music played is Jiveable and there a few that I will refuse point blank to dance to because I dont get any pleasure from them. Lets not forget a dance is very much an individual experience as well.

BTW Have you ever jived in muggle club?? Did they ask you to leave?

Wendy
21st-June-2006, 10:16 AM
On the very rare occasions when I'm not dancing WITH someone, I am always jigging and wiggling around by myself, but there is NO WAY I would turn down the opportunity to dance WITH someone in favour of carrying on on my own!

:yeah:

I have nothing against people doing this although the idea of the handbags coming out and the men standing around drinking pints and oggling us makes me :sick:

Refusing a dance while you are doing your own thing is fair enough but refusing the next dance is pretty "illegal" IMO cos clearly you are not too tired to dance - well you might be I suppose if you go a bit wild on your own. I also think that if you dance on your own at a MJ event you must know that people could be watching so you are choosing to draw attention to yourself. I expect that's why this bloke was doing it and then he must have thought he was god's gift when he turned me down. :mad:

Maybe we could learn from football and give out yellow cards :rofl:

Wx

Wendy
21st-June-2006, 10:19 AM
I think you'll find that, in fact, you're being led by DavidB (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=242088#post242088), you just don't realise it :whistle: Or you are DREAMING that you are being led by DavidB and just don't realise it :eek:

Wx

Wendy
21st-June-2006, 10:29 AM

Wx

Am I sure that was me. I was dancing on my own then because, the way I prefer to dance to that particular track is on my own. If I was just boogieing in the corner because I had no partner then I would have acquisced. If came across as being rude, I apologise.

IMHO NOT every piece of music played is Jiveable and there a few that I will refuse point blank to dance to because I dont get any pleasure from them. Lets not forget a dance is very much an individual experience as well.

You sound too nice for it to have been you :flower: (and have just read this so have already posted my other post) If it was you I totally understand if you wanted to dance that track on your own. Next time it might be nice to say "I just HAVE to dance this alone but I'll come and get you for a track later". Or am I living in Trumpton ???

And a big hug to the guy who turned me down cos he'd just been asked by someone but who DID come and ask me later. Classy bloke :clap: :clap: :clap: Wish I knew his name. Someone told me it was Mike and if you are that Mike then you were NOT not the one dancing alone who turned me down. You are in my list of dancing heros. :worthy:

Wx

Wendy
21st-June-2006, 12:00 PM
Just for the record, have torn up mikeyr's yellow card and look forward to a dance with him some time.

Still don't know who the guy is with the grey hair who does scary (still safe though :flower: ) drops. If I start a thread on him he'll think I'm a stalker :eek:

Wx

Daisy Chain
21st-June-2006, 12:18 PM
Whilst this effing football is messing up my dance nights, I've stopped Cerocing and have substituted the dance classes at my new gym. Great fun they are, but it is SO WEIRD dancing on my own and after years of being elegant and graceful onthe dancefloor, I'm struggling to get "down and jiggy wiv it". Yo!

It's even more strange having wall to wall mirrors so I keep my gaze firmly fixed on the instructors bum. Hope she doesn't think I'm a bit pervy...

She had us doing step turns last night. These are so hard after triple spins. Old habits!

Daisy

(An Aerobic Little Flower)

fletch
21st-June-2006, 12:53 PM

A man after my own heart.:D
I have been dancing around my handbag in clubs for 30 years and only the last two years MJ:really: and there are many tunes which hold special memeries for me, like the classic northern sole track 'the snake' :waycool: I really hate dancing MJ to this track it seem sacrilege,:sick: also Rob Ambridge puts a few track on I like Earth Wind and Fire the Disco Diva comes out in me,:blush: I also like to a bit of new romantic stuff.:devil:

I think maybe some people haven't had the miss spent youth I have had and actually just don't 'get it':innocent:

And Mike you make a very good point there are some tracks that when they come on I just need to dance MJ even in a club, like Body rockers 'I like the way you move':clap:

But you know it really doesn't matter, it is about enjoying yourself, and even when I had just started MJ I would still dance around my handbag in a venue, and you know why cos it really DOESN'T matter :flower:

:cheers:

Wendy
21st-June-2006, 01:03 PM
But at MJ events wouldn't we have to dance round ruck sacks (which are possibly full of smelly sweaty clothes :innocent: ) ? Now that could make you unpopular

Wx

Reet Petite
22nd-June-2006, 02:46 AM

May I commend you for your refreshing honesty in coming forward Mikeyr:respect: You may enjoy the attention...but you are also one of the least discriminating dancers on the circuit! I would much prefer someone to politely refuse than to reluctantly acquiesce and not enjoy the dance...one can always tell:grin:

xxx

Wendy
22nd-June-2006, 03:04 AM
May I commend you for your refreshing honesty in coming forward Mikeyr:respect: You may enjoy the attention...but you are also one of the least discriminating dancers on the circuit! I would much prefer someone to politely refuse than to reluctantly acquiesce and not enjoy the dance...one can always tell:grin:

xxx As you know him, please say "hi" in real life from me. I must have got him sooo wrong and feel awful now :sick:

One can always tell huh ??? Must get to some more body language classes or else maybe no-one has ever hated dancing with me :waycool: That can't be right :blush: so off to find my nearest language du corps workshop.

Wx

Reet Petite
22nd-June-2006, 06:50 AM
As you know him, please say "hi" in real life from me. I must have got him sooo wrong and feel awful now :sick:

One can always tell huh ??? Must get to some more body language classes or else maybe no-one has ever hated dancing with me :waycool: That can't be right :blush: so off to find my nearest language du corps workshop.

Wx

Maybe I need to go and do a dance workshop:grin:

xxx