PDA

View Full Version : Winning US Open routines (2005) on You Tube

David Franklin
19th-June-2006, 10:10 AM
Jordan/Tatianna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4J8C2Ka-ls&mode=related&search=)

Benji/Heidi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C0GzFJGxno&mode=related&search=)

Also, series 2 of "So You Think You Can Dance?", a US program very like Strictly Dance Fever has just started; Benji and Heidi have both made it "to the house", albeit not paired together. From the Benji/Heidi clip above, if you look in the "related videoes" bit you can find links to some footage from the show.

Geordieed
19th-June-2006, 02:02 PM
I would love to see Benji and Heidi do that routine when they visit Southport later this year.

Donna
20th-June-2006, 06:13 PM
:eek: :eek: wow. too good to be true!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: speechless!

Beowulf
20th-June-2006, 09:16 PM
If I may borrow a line from Jim Carrey in "The Mask"

Smoooookin' !!

Stuart
20th-June-2006, 09:35 PM
For some reason I looked at the title of this and thought it related to the golf at the weekend!

Yliander
20th-June-2006, 10:51 PM
you can also down load clips of the winning routines from the US Open Site (http://www.usopenswingdc.com/2005_division_winners.html)

David Franklin
20th-June-2006, 11:03 PM
you can also down load clips of the winning routines from the US Open Site (http://www.usopenswingdc.com/2005_division_winners.html)Well yes, but they're only 30 second clips rather than entire routines. SwingDiego is usually pretty good about putting up full length clips (http://www.swingdiego.com/results2006.html), but Benji/Heidi didn't compete there.

Chicklet
21st-June-2006, 09:16 PM
Now I know why E-bay's all out of pink catsuits.

Donna
22nd-June-2006, 04:52 PM
I don't believe this!!! :angry: NOW we have no access to videos at work!!! first hotmail, now this!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: Guess I won't be picking up anymore moves! :tears: :angry:

pjay
24th-June-2006, 12:03 AM
Now I know why E-bay's all out of pink catsuits.

Yeah, I was really disappointed when I found that too.

Minnie M
24th-June-2006, 12:32 AM
........full length clips (http://www.swingdiego.com/results2006.html)...........

Young America (6-13)
Video of Winning Performance
Marus Garcia Redlands, CA
Hannah Clonch

:respect: :respect: :respect:
How old is young Marus Garcia :worthy: amazing ................

John & Wes - Please Note for 2016 Southport :yeah: :worthy: :respect:

under par
24th-June-2006, 06:22 AM
:respect: :respect: :respect:
How old is young Marus Garcia :worthy: amazing ................

John & Wes - Please Note for 2016 Southport :yeah: :worthy: :respect:

3987 day to go:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Alice
25th-June-2006, 09:54 PM
Jordan/Tatianna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4J8C2Ka-ls&mode=related&search=)

Benji/Heidi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C0GzFJGxno&mode=related&search=)

Also, series 2 of "So You Think You Can Dance?", a US program very like Strictly Dance Fever has just started; Benji and Heidi have both made it "to the house", albeit not paired together. From the Benji/Heidi clip above, if you look in the "related videoes" bit you can find links to some footage from the show.
<still reeling>

That was amazing! :drool:

Tessalicious
25th-June-2006, 10:18 PM
Yes there were some cool moves in Benji and Heidi's, and some great dramatic stuff, and he looks like he would be fun to dance with - but I can't get excited about her at all, and I don't know why. Maybe it's just that she's too thin so her arms look like they're going to break, or maybe it's a style of WCS that I'm not used to seeing, but whereas Jordan/Tatiana, Kyle/Sarah, Robert/Deborah, or Paul/Cat all have me holding my breath and thinking wow, I wish I could dance like that, Benji and Heidi didn't do it for me - yet (maybe it will be different if I see them in person). Please don't hate me, it's an inspiration thing I guess.

David Franklin
25th-June-2006, 10:51 PM
whereas Jordan/Tatiana, Kyle/Sarah, Robert/Deborah, or Paul/Cat all have me holding my breath and thinking wow, I wish I could dance like that, Benji and Heidi didn't do it for me - yet (maybe it will be different if I see them in person). Please don't hate me, it's an inspiration thing I guess.Have to say, their routine didn't wow me, either. It's certainly a very difficult and technically demanding routine, but it doesn't do a lot for me on an artistic or emotional level.

It seems to me that some routines are mainly impressive due to their content - the bravura lifts, the accuracy, speed and complexity of moves, and so on, while some manage to be more than the sum of their parts. I think you can go too far in either direction and as someone who likes to see the big tricks, I'm glad Benji and Heidi pushing their content way beyond the minimum requirements. But a bit more emotional content and feeling would make them even stronger performers.

In fairness, I don't know how much time they had to work on it - they live on opposite sides of the US these days.

Lory
25th-June-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm glad others feel the same as me. Benji and Heidi's routine was very clever, precise and no one could argue with the fact it was certainly a polished performance :worthy: but personally, I much prefer the relaxed, effortless look that J&T seem to pull off so easily :waycool: :drool:

under par
25th-June-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm glad others feel the same as me. Benji and Heidi's routine was very clever, precise and no one could argue with the fact it was certainly a polished performance :worthy: but personally, I much prefer the relaxed, effortless look that J&T seem to pull off so easily :waycool: :drool:

I think the difference between the 2 styles has a lot to do with the categories they were dancing in.

I don't know the names of the categories but one is obviously involved with loads of aerials which is totally different and more energetic than the other more smooth category.

I agree with the sentiments posted above with the proviso that we are comparing chalk and cheese "category wise".

I am looking forward to see Benji and partner at Southport.:cheers: in Sept and J&T next june :clap:

MartinHarper
26th-June-2006, 12:00 AM
I guess dancing to multiple songs mixed together, or weird conceptual songs that sound like multiple songs mixed together, is pretty good for winning competitions. As a viewer, I can't say I'm keen on it. Oh well.

David Franklin
26th-June-2006, 12:03 AM
I think the difference between the 2 styles has a lot to do with the categories they were dancing in.

I don't know the names of the categories but one is obviously involved with loads of aerials which is totally different and more energetic than the other more smooth category.In WCS there are two categories: Classic, where no aerials are permitted and Showcase where aerials are not only allowed but are actually mandatory (from memory, you must do at least 3 lifts, at least one lift above shoulder height, and a maximum of 5 lifts).

But this doesn't fully explain matters; Robert and Deborah's performances are hardly lacking in artistry despite them competing in Showcase rather than Classic.

Put simply, I think the track Benji and Heidi chose is too fast; that they keep up with it is impressive, but how much nicer to see them dance to a track that gives them time to breath, and us time to savour...

I guess dancing to multiple songs mixed together, or weird conceptual songs that sound like multiple songs mixed together, is pretty good for winning competitions. As a viewer, I can't say I'm keen on it. Oh well.I think a lot of it is wanting to show you can dance to different styles of music. Have to say, that side of things didn't particularly bother me here - it was a long way from the musical abominations that you seem to see in salsa competitions.

under par
26th-June-2006, 12:04 AM
I guess dancing to multiple songs mixed together, or weird conceptual songs that sound like multiple songs mixed together, is pretty good for winning competitions.

I think music selection is one part of their multi-facetted talents.:flower:

MartinHarper
26th-June-2006, 12:38 AM
I think a lot of it is wanting to show you can dance to different styles of music.

Yeah, I'd guess so. It does make me sympathise with David "competitions are evil" James, though. It'd be nice to see Jordan and Tatiana dance to the whole of those two songs.

under par
26th-June-2006, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I'd guess so. It does make me sympathise with David "competitions are evil" James, though. It'd be nice to see Jordan and Tatiana dance to the whole of those two songs.:confused: :confused:

But why should that be!!

If the performance that you view is is a well rehearsed routine to that specific music:confused: :confused:

You want to see them freestyle to whole tracks then go to their appearances at weekenders or other such events, not look at their superb competition performances.

robd
26th-June-2006, 07:55 AM
It'd be nice to see Jordan and Tatiana dance to the whole of those two songs.

I think it'd probably be nice seeing J&T dancing to any song.

Tessalicious
26th-June-2006, 09:14 AM
I think it'd probably be nice seeing J&T dancing to any song.Speaking of which, has anybody watched the West Coast Swing Demo to Dontcha that's linked from Jordan and Tatiana's video? J&T plus Parker and Jessica doing a really groovy routine with solo, couple, switched couple, and mixed couple stuff which is just so ultra-cool I want to put it in a frame on my wall. And it's not really that flashy, just a really good show of how much sass you can put into West Coast.

As far and Benji and Heidi are concerned, having watched it again I don't think it's a lack of musicality that doesn't appeal to me - they've got some difficult changes in tempo and attitude that they've put into the music and they work with them very well - and I like the flashy stuff, they obviously do aerials and other big moves really well together, which is important. I think for me their styles don't match, that is all. She's trying too hard to be sexy in some places (and Arlene would slate her for ugly hands), whereas he's just doing what feels great, and the difference is striking.

Geordieed
26th-June-2006, 09:38 AM
The Redlands style that you see from Benji and from his sister Lacey and other dancers from there I know isn't to everyone's taste. I do think it widens the spectrum of styles as WCS continues to develop. The control and precision both Benji and Heidi bring carries on from the days when Robert.C and Melanie competed together. I would love to see Benji dance some Latin which he is well known for.

I think the style that Benji and Heidi bring will in time make a major contribution to the dance. Benji is probably the only guy that can match Jordan in the Strictly division for individual ability.

foxylady
26th-June-2006, 10:53 AM
I agree with the comments that there is something less watchable, or less 'WOW' about Benji and Heidi's performance... and IMHO its Heidi's style that puts me off - she is just much more stiff than the WCS dancers that I like to watch...

But WOW Benji ! :worthy: I have watched the clips form the US show - so you think you can dance - boy is he fantastic (both in the street dance and the cha cha ), and such a lovely guy !! If he is genuinely that fun and friendly we are all going to love having him at Southport.

MartinHarper
26th-June-2006, 11:27 AM
But why should that be!! If the performance that you view is is a well rehearsed routine to that specific music.

I'm sorry I confused you. I meant to simply say that I'd prefer to see them dance a well rehearsed routine to a specific piece of music that was a whole piece of music, as they have done for competition entries in the past.

Brady
26th-June-2006, 04:39 PM
But WOW Benji ! :worthy: I have watched the clips form the US show - so you think you can dance - boy is he fantastic (both in the street dance and the cha cha ), and such a lovely guy !! If he is genuinely that fun and friendly we are all going to love having him at Southport.

I saw Benji and Lacey (his sister) perform in California last summer and they were fantastic; he is so charismatic.

Wonder if John or Wes can confirm who (if anybody) is coming across with Benji in September. So far I've seen him competing with Lacey this year rather than Heidi as Heidi now lives on the east coast of the US.

Showcase where aerials are not only allowed but are actually mandatory (from memory, you must do at least 3 lifts, at least one lift above shoulder height, and a maximum of 5 lifts).

Nearly spot on; the one lift has to lift the partner above the waist, but doesn't indicate which partner! :really:

Speaking of which, has anybody watched the West Coast Swing Demo to Dontcha that's linked from Jordan and Tatiana's video? J&T plus Parker and Jessica doing a really groovy routine with solo, couple, switched couple, and mixed couple stuff which is just so ultra-cool

Have seen this and it's great! Speaking of which, keep your eyes open as after speaking to Parker & Jessica in New York last week I can confirm that they WILL BE making their debut trip to the UK in early 2007. Once I find out more info I'll post it on http://www.uk-wcs.co.uk. I also confirmed Kyle & Sarah's visit to Rebel Yell this October (14th); further details are still not available on the Ceroc website, but I will post them on the above site as soon as they are available.

Brady

Chicklet
26th-June-2006, 06:32 PM
... and IMHO its Heidi's style that puts me off - she is just much more stiff than the WCS dancers that I like to watch...
I prefer watching Tatiana, there are probably other reasons but, at the risk of being "skinny-ist", one of the reasons I can actually articulate is that I like to watch a girl with curves looking so good and moving so well. Be interested to read if this has occured to anyone else....

Geordieed
27th-June-2006, 09:04 AM
I prefer watching Tatiana

Tatiana has a natural born talent to draw the eye. There are very few dancers male or female who can communicate to an audience and her partner at the same time and draw you in so you are part of what she is doing. She can also theme a dance briliantly well. People what her to see what she is doing next and has the ability to hold your attention all the way to the end of a track.

Minnie M
28th-June-2006, 12:43 AM
Tatiana has a natural born talent to draw the eye. There are very few dancers male or female who can communicate to an audience and her partner at the same time and draw you in so you are part of what she is doing. She can also theme a dance briliantly well. People what her to see what she is doing next and has the ability to hold your attention all the way to the end of a track.
:yeah: :worthy: :yeah: :respect: :yeah:
and such a lovely girl too :flower:

Geordieed
28th-June-2006, 08:47 AM
:yeah: :worthy: :yeah: :respect: :yeah:
and such a lovely girl too :flower:

Without a doubt...
:love:

David Franklin
2nd-July-2006, 01:20 PM
More videos (downloadable too) at: http://www.vixenontheedge.com/benji.html

Given previous posts, check out the one that's a Benji/Tatianna pairing... :drool:

Geordieed
3rd-July-2006, 01:35 PM
I really enjoyed seeing Benji with his sister Lacey. It is amazing when you remember that she is just still a junior.

Donna
3rd-July-2006, 04:54 PM
Wow, some more jaw dropping videos! :eek: :tears: I wish I could dance like that! :sad:

straycat
3rd-July-2006, 05:21 PM
More videos (downloadable too) at: http://www.vixenontheedge.com/benji.html

Given previous posts, check out the one that's a Benji/Tatianna pairing... :drool:
On the Benji & Deborah Jack & Jill vid, anyone know what the first track is?

Donna
3rd-July-2006, 05:53 PM
I can't tell you, because I can't get any damn sound through on this computer! :tears: That's just sooo crap!

David Franklin
3rd-July-2006, 05:56 PM
On the Benji & Deborah Jack & Jill vid, anyone know what the first track is?Don't know if it will help, but it's the same (well a different mix, but "the same") as the track Jordan and Tatianna used at the start of their 2002 US Open routine. That might be a better way of tracking it down.

under par
7th-July-2006, 04:01 AM
I am sure Sheepman has a copy of it but I cannot recall the name of the track.

Jennifer
9th-July-2006, 09:35 PM

I think it is the Dave McMurray version of Cleo's Mood and that Jordan and Tat use the Junior Walker version.

Sheepman
10th-July-2006, 12:53 AM
I am sure Sheepman has a copy of it Not that version, though it is of course Cleo's Mood.

Greg

straycat
10th-July-2006, 04:01 PM
Thank you - listenening to it now (got to love online music stores) - very nice track...