PDA

View Full Version : Dance Cards????

Chicklet
3rd-April-2003, 01:57 PM
Just an idea that occurred to me watching a silly old movie at the weekend (only cos I couldn't justify watching last year's Blackpool video part one for the 7th time - now have borrowed part two and can't wait to get it on)

I am neither for nor against - just asking what y'all think and if this has ever been done before....

Has there ever been a night where the dancers had dance cards and other dancers booked themselves a slot?

Good point - one could "guarantee" a dance with someone
Bad point- takes away some of the spontaneity of the night.

Discuss????
:D

Wendy
3rd-April-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
one could "guarantee" a dance with someone

Haven't you already worked out how to get a dance with someone?? You didn't do to badly on Saturday - without even having to ask !!!!!

takes away some of the spontaneity of the night. :D

Yip - and sometimes you just HAVE to have that second dance !!!!

Looking forward to the debate though !!!

Wxxx

Stuart M
3rd-April-2003, 02:11 PM
Interesting idea, but it gets a thumbs down from me.

I can just picture people waving their dance cards around, as an excuse for knocking back dances from requesters. Especially late on in the evening - "Sorry, I have to dance with XXX before the night's out", would become a frequent refrain.

And it would make things even more clique-y - this Forum causes enough of that already IMHO...

:nice:

Chicklet
3rd-April-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Wendy
Haven't you already worked out how to get a dance with someone?? You didn't do to badly on Saturday - without even having to ask !!!!!

ha ha. that'll be my animal magnetism.:D
or the see thru shirt maybe?:devil:

oh you mean THAT dance....that was just pure luck I think.

I am very lucky in that as a newcomer I am actually still just about as happy watching y'all as participating and so have a great night every night but have noticed lots of posts apologising and bemoaning the fact that they missed a dance with so and so and wished they hadn't - any of these fancy the idea?

Looking forward to the debate though !!!

Wxxx

That's two againsts then, with damn fine reasons - anyone for?

C

Ps sorry still haven't worked out the finer points of quoting and bold text yet!!!

Sandy
3rd-April-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
Interesting idea, but it gets a thumbs down from me.

I can just picture people waving their dance cards around, as an excuse for knocking back dances from requesters. Especially late on in the evening - "Sorry, I have to dance with XXX before the night's out", would become a frequent refrain.

And it would make things even more clique-y - this Forum causes enough of that already IMHO...

I agree. With so many extra women it would be a mad race to tick off the cards with favourite dancers and beginners could really suffer but I understand the logic behind it though. Some guys would have no chance of grabbing a pint or going for a necessary break! and others would be feeling a bit neglected maybe. Could be a real battle for women:reallymad

Interesting topic though

Sandy:wink:

Dave Hancock
3rd-April-2003, 02:50 PM
Would make it very hard for beginners as well who wouldn't be all that confident and also people visiting other locations would be unknown and as such not get their card ticked off, thus totally against it and fully agree with Stuart's previous comments

Emma
3rd-April-2003, 02:51 PM
Lady: Can I book you for a dance later on?
Man: *consults card*
Lady: *looks expectant*
Man: Erm..sorry...I could squeeze you in right after my 9.45, but I have a shirt-change scheduled...
Lady: Ah, OK, you're offering me a wet-shirt dance..got any dry ones later on?
Man: No, sorry, these are reserved for my regular and more pretty partners *smug look* It's wet shirt or nothing, I'm afraid.
Lady: Oh, Thanks, er, sorry, er..wet shirt it is then..*dissapointed look*
Man: Unless of course it's a Shania Twain track..I don't do those.
Lady: 9.47 then, I'll be waiting.
Man: Or Julio, I always dance with Julia to Julio.
Lady: Um..OK then. See you later. Thanks.

:what: :what:

Chicklet
3rd-April-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Lady: Can I book you for a dance later on?
Man: *consults card*
Lady: *looks expectant*
Man: Erm..sorry...I could squeeze you in right after my 9.45, but I have a shirt-change scheduled...
Lady: Ah, OK, you're offering me a wet-shirt dance..got any dry ones later on?
Man: No, sorry, these are reserved for my regular and more pretty partners *smug look* It's wet shirt or nothing, I'm afraid.
Lady: Oh, Thanks, er, sorry, er..wet shirt it is then..*dissapointed look*
Man: Unless of course it's a Shania Twain track..I don't do those.
Lady: 9.47 then, I'll be waiting.
Man: Or Julio, I always dance with Julia to Julio.
Lady: Um..OK then. See you later. Thanks.

:what: :what:

FANTASTIC Emma!!!!!

As hoped - lots of strong opinion!!!!!!!

Wendy
3rd-April-2003, 03:03 PM
And anyway who needs a dance card - you just have to get into a cabaret team and then you get to dance with the best dancers for hours and hours with no competition !!!! Easy !!!!

:D :D :D

Wxxx

Graham
3rd-April-2003, 03:03 PM
Chicklet,

Aren't you worried about people guessing your identity now that you've given them the big clue about what you were wearing at Marco's on Saturday? Nice top, by the way.

I don't think a dance card is necessary, provided ladies are self-confident enough to go and ask for dances. Let's face it, if we used cards, they'd still need to pluck up the courage to ask.

There are a couple of practical problems as well:
* The average playlist at a party is actually quite long, so the cards would have to be quite big (or in small print!).
* I believe that at these traditional balls the playlist was set in advance, but this wouldn't be popular nowadays as it would prevent the DJ adjusting the set to the mood
* Assuming no set playlist, not all tracks are the same length, so how would you work the slots?
* Assuming no set playlist, what if someone (who could I be thinking of? :wink: ) booked BTC Bill for 10:23, and then it turned out that Scot played Boogie Woogie Choo Choo Train instead of Cantaloop?

Still no "for"s then

Wendy
3rd-April-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Nice top, by the way.

Didn't notice her top Graham. What colour was it ????

Wx

Graham
3rd-April-2003, 03:08 PM
Didn't notice her top Graham. What colour was it ????

Wx
Is this a test?? :confused:

(It was black)

Chicklet
3rd-April-2003, 03:31 PM
[* Assuming no set playlist, what if someone (who could I be thinking of? :wink: ) booked BTC Bill for 10:23, and then it turned out that Scot played Boogie Woogie Choo Choo Train instead of Cantaloop?

[/B]

I love this image BTC and Lucy to BWCCT!!!!:waycool:

we must organise a party with forfeits (hey another thread???) and make them do it one night.

NB didn't actually think for a minute that there would be any "for"s, just fancied stirring up some fervour!!!

Chicklet
3rd-April-2003, 03:37 PM
Is this a test?? :confused:

(It was black)

oh no, please don't have my big coming out (some time in 2005 I was hoping but gettin gcloser by the day I fear) as a marriage wrecker stoning ceremony. It was just a wee bit thin cos I knew it would be warm with all the dancing and didn't want to overheat and cause a rhumpus by fainting and then having paramedics come in and take over valuable dance space with their silly equipment. Quite thoughtful of me really.

:innocent: :D

Wendy
3rd-April-2003, 03:46 PM
I love this image BTC and Lucy to BWCCT!!!!:waycool:

:sick: :sick: :sick: What a waste !! Please no !!!!!

Wxxx

Wendy
3rd-April-2003, 03:48 PM
That would be like eating chocolate and getting a bit of silver paper !!!! The music has to be BTC as well !!!!

Wxxx

TheTramp
3rd-April-2003, 05:03 PM
Hey....

I like BWCCT.

I'll dance with Bill to that one then! :D

Steve

Emma
3rd-April-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Hey....

I like BWCCT.

I'll dance with Bill to that one then! :D

Steve

I for one would pay to see that...:grin:

TheTramp
3rd-April-2003, 05:47 PM
It could be arranged Emma.

How much are you willing to pay!?!

Steve

Gus
3rd-April-2003, 07:16 PM
Has there ever been a night where the dancers had dance cards and other dancers booked themselves a slot?Discuss????
:D

OK ..... let me tell you as someone who has actually done it....:waycool:

We did this at Ceroc Nantwich in the good old days when we were trying to build market share ..... and the result was, despite initial doubters, a total success!!:grin::grin::grin:

To answer some of the queries raised...
We had a dance card of between 3 to 5 pre-defined tracks ... with a range of music types. I announced each track and gave people time to find tehir partner before the track started. Given the type of track, you then went hell for leather to try to snaffle the person who you knew best suited that track. HOWEVER, the ettiquette was that you woud try to dance mostly with people you previously had not danced with.

The end result was that a lot of people danced with people they had not previously had the pleasure with ..... and most people really enjoyed it. We did it for about 4 freestyles then gave it a rest, always meaning to use it again ... must remember to use it at my new venue:waycool:

GOOD IDEA!

Emma
3rd-April-2003, 07:21 PM
Bless you Gus, you go so reliably against the flow :kiss: :grin:

Actually, your way of doing it sounds kind of interesting, and far less pressurised than my slightly paranoid (moi?? :grin: ) way of looking at the possibility.

New venue? What new venue?

Dancing Veela
3rd-April-2003, 09:33 PM
I have been to a number of formal Scottish Country Dinner Dances where you do fill your card up at the start of the evening before dinner. It's a lot of fun and you do get the chance to book your favourite person for your favourite dance (if you get to the venue before everybody else!) and you get the chance to say no to a Petronella (sp?).

I think as Gus says it could fun to have a Dance Card 30mins at a Ceroc party - or 2 card dances on the hour every hour, just a something different - after all the DJs have their play lists done anyway so it would be a matter publishing it - maybe it could be done for charity - you have to buy the dance cards and you can only dance that dance if you have bought a card?

DVx

Alfie
3rd-April-2003, 10:52 PM
Hi All,
I remember the dance cards at gus's old venue. They always seemed to work ok. I got to dance with alot of Ladies I'd not danced with before.
I think it would be good fun for a couple of sessions at a Freestyle.:D

Stuart M
4th-April-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Dancing Veela
I think as Gus says it could fun to have a Dance Card 30mins at a Ceroc party - or 2 card dances on the hour every hour, just a something different - after all the DJs have their play lists done anyway so it would be a matter publishing it - maybe it could be done for charity - you have to buy the dance cards and you can only dance that dance if you have bought a card?

DVx
The way Gus did it sounds better than what I'd originally thought it was. I still think it's a bad idea for an established class though - makes it even harder for newcomers.

A better charity idea would be a dance auction - bidding for a dance with person X. Potentially bruising to a few egos though!

Sandy
4th-April-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Stuart M
A better charity idea would be a dance auction - bidding for a dance with person X. Potentially bruising to a few egos though!

We did this for a charity thing at an Aberdeen party. I think it raised a good bit of money but there was a fair bit of stomach crunching wondering if anyone would bid for you!

Gus you always manage to get things going don't you!:wink:

Sandy

Dave Hancock
4th-April-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Sandy
I think it raised a good bit of money ... there was a fair bit of stomach crunching ..

Why were they doing sit-ups and did this help with the auction:wink:

Wendy
4th-April-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
Why were they doing sit-ups and did this help with the auction:wink:

Sit-ups ?? :confused: No no that would be the women walking on the men to see how firm their abs were !!!
:wink:

Wxxx

Bill
4th-April-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
It could be arranged Emma.

How much are you willing to pay!?!

Steve

Do we split the fee ??? Who would be leading ................and in case you didn't notice :what: .........I'm crap at fast songs. Think folk might notice if we tried to 'blues' to BWCCT :na: :wink:

TheTramp
4th-April-2003, 01:24 PM
Of course we split the fee. Right down the middle.

And I think I'd have to lead. But don't worry, I'm sure that you'll be great!

Steve

Emma
4th-April-2003, 04:39 PM
I'm giving the amount very careful consideraton ;)

..though..maye a whip-round? :devil:

TheTramp
4th-April-2003, 04:43 PM
Oo-er. :sorry

:drool:

Steve

Emma
4th-April-2003, 04:51 PM
What? :innocent:

Sandy
4th-April-2003, 05:11 PM
Sit-ups ?? :confused: No no that would be the women walking on the men to see how firm their abs were !!!
:wink:

Wxxx

a fair bit of stomach crunching following the laughter from watching the above!:D

Sandy

Wendy
4th-April-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Sandy
a fair bit of stomach crunching following the laughter from watching the above!:D

Sandy

lol as well !!!

We have an Aussie friend in common apparently....

Wxxx

Bill
4th-April-2003, 08:02 PM
What? :innocent:

He said Oo-er:sorry ...and I have to say that was my reaction too.

Oh no.............I'm beginning to think like the Tramp !!!!:eek: :tears:

but .......oh-er anyway !!! who said whip !!!!:yum: :wink:

Emma
4th-April-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Bill
He said Oo-er:sorry ...and I have to say that was my reaction too.

Honestly..a girl makes an entirely innocent comment about collecting money..I'm shocked!! :devil: :devil: :what: :grin:

Oh no.............I'm beginning to think like the Tramp !!!!:eek: :tears:

That is very frightening Bill. Seek medical help immediately, that's my advice! :wink:

John S
5th-April-2003, 12:56 AM
who said whip !!!!:yum: :wink:

Bill - surely Fran has shown you her avatar????:wink:

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
9th-April-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by John S
Bill - surely Fran has shown you her avatar????:wink:

Speaking of the Diva with the whip- where is she these days?

Bill
11th-April-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Basil Brush

She might well be at Glasgow tomorrow night...........and if I behave she might bring me along :rolleyes: :wink:

Dave Hancock
11th-April-2003, 03:20 PM
She might well be at Glasgow tomorrow night...........and if I behave she might bring me along :rolleyes: :wink:

Good to hear you had a good holiday and would be good to see you tomorrow night, Lorna is down in all so we can stage a mini invasion

Franck
11th-April-2003, 05:55 PM
She might well be at Glasgow tomorrow night...........and if I behave she might bring me along :rolleyes: :wink: Welcome back Bill...

Does the above mean you will be at the Chocolate party tomorrow night after all?

I am only asking because it means I'll have to get higher quality chocolate, to compete with your B.T.C. status :wink:

Franck.

Fran
12th-April-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Welcome back Bill...

Does the above mean you will be at the Chocolate party tomorrow night after all?

Franck.

well if there is chocolate on the go franck we will be there ....-

did you mean that there will be chocolate there tonight Franck?:yum:

have to say in his defence bill doesnt eat that much chocolate - but given that I am a girl - I do!!!!

we went to the chocolate museum in Barcelona - it was yummy!!I think if I lived there I would become even larger with the combination of the choclates and the pastries:yum:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have been a bit snowed under with work :sad: but looking forward to a dance this evening - although I will leave the whip at home - after all would'nt want people to get the wrong idea!!:wink:

love franx

Fran
14th-April-2003, 09:01 PM
:sad:

I came down with a very sudden/severe migrane and was no use to anyone and never made it through to the party on saturday - missed out on that chocolate Franck!!!!:tears: :tears:

fran

Gadget
8th-July-2003, 12:02 PM
There could be a group of ‘good’ dancers(taxi dancers/teachers not on duty ?) who had a dance card held by the venue manager with (eg) five slots on it: To get your name on the card for a dance with that person, you have to pay a small donation to a charity fund.
The dancers would have an opt-in policy to use the card on a night they were there and would have to give priority to the people on their cards over personal preference. - could still dance with whomever asked, but not at the exclusion of the named dancers.
The people booked in for a dance would know that they are guaranteed a dance and would not have any ‘stigma’ about asking a good dancer to dance because they didn’t feel that they themselves were good enough.

Thoughts?

I assume that something similar was in place at the charity dance thing, but I was thinking on having it in place at every standard class night; all the monies raised could go to a charity once a year.

CJ
8th-July-2003, 12:19 PM
[i]I assume that something similar was in place at the charity dance thing, but I was thinking on having it in place at every standard class night; all the monies raised could go to a charity once a year. [/B]

At The Cancer Research bash, peeps bought tickets for a pound, then came and collected a dance with the ticket they received.

I would reiterate what Lindz said in another thread, that were was pressure to make the dance "worth it!" which isn't always easy through the whole night.

But hey..... we managed!!:wink:

Emma
8th-July-2003, 02:20 PM
Ugh, I just have to rise to this one...Gadget, i'm sure you came up with this idea for the bestet of reasons, but baby, it sucks :hug:

There could be a group of ‘good’ dancers(taxi dancers/teachers not on duty ?) who had a dance card held by the venue manager with (eg) five slots on it: To get your name on the card for a dance with that person, you have to pay a small donation to a charity fund.
This just goes against the whole idea of taxi dancers, surely? They are supposed to be there to welcome people and dance with whoever asks them, ask people who aren't dancing, contributing to the general 'anyone can dance, anyone can ask, get up and have fun' ethos of a Ceroc night - to have those people when not 'on duty' doing something which involves booking/prioritising on a regular basis (ie other than a one-off charity type thingy) strikes me as going against the spirit of Ceroc - however good the cause might be.

The dancers would have an opt-in policy to use the card on a night they were there and would have to give priority to the people on their cards over personal preference. - could still dance with whomever asked, but not at the exclusion of the named dancers.
Again, I feel that prioritising just goes against the spirit of a Ceroc night.

The people booked in for a dance would know that they are guaranteed a dance and would not have any ‘stigma’ about asking a good dancer to dance because they didn’t feel that they themselves were good enough.
But there isn't suppsoed to be a stigma anyhow! I realise that many people (myself included sometimes) are shy about asking people they consider better than themselves to dance but I can't see how bringing in a booking system where you have to pay will help this - it merely emphasises the fact that those people who are being booked *are* supposedly better, whereas in fact what they probably are is more experienced, or more confident.

Thoughts?
Um yeah, that'd be a 'no' from me, then :grin: :sorry

Dreadful Scathe
8th-July-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
I would reiterate what Lindz said in another thread, that were was pressure to make the dance "worth it!" which isn't always easy through the whole night.

worth it ? course you're worth it CJ - i can just picture you doing a loreal shampoo advert :D :D

CJ
8th-July-2003, 02:33 PM
Cisstaking Punt!!:wink:

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
8th-July-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Fran

Have been a bit snowed under with work :sad: but looking forward to a dance this evening - although I will leave the whip at home - after all would'nt want people to get the wrong idea!!:wink:

love franx [/B]

Nice to have you back Fran- and please don't leave the whip at home next time. You whip me into a frenzy baby... :sorry

Gadget
8th-July-2003, 04:45 PM
but baby, it sucks
now, how can I disagree with you when you talk so pretty? :wink:
This just goes against the whole idea of taxi dancers, surely? They are supposed to be there to welcome people and dance with whoever asks them, ask people who aren't dancing, contributing to the general 'anyone can dance, anyone can ask, get up and have fun' ethos of a Ceroc night
Surely that attitude is not limited to Taxis, but every dancer at a ceroc venue? When Taxi dancers are ‘off-duty’, don’t they revert to normal dancers? {well, as normal as you can claim any of them were to start with! :na:&ltduck&gt} The suggestion of using them was only because they had been through the rigorous selection process {*cough*} that would qualify them as at least “good” dancers.

- to have those people when not 'on duty' doing something which involves booking/prioritising on a regular basis strikes me as going against the spirit of Ceroc
I am only suggesting a small number of dances a night; two or three dances in one freestyle session. These people will probably be dancing anyway, why not be able to guarantee your dance with them instead of trying to track them down and catch them before they head off with another partner?

But there isn't supposed to be a stigma anyhow! I realise that many people (myself included sometimes) are shy about asking people they consider better than themselves to dance but I can't see how bringing in a booking system where you have to pay will help this
Because you don't have to physically approach them and lose your nerve because the venue manager would hold the cards. The payee would feel that they are now paying for a service rather than asking for a favour - more a subtle psychological difference than a real one.

- it merely emphasises the fact that those people who are being booked *are* supposedly better, whereas in fact what they probably are is more experienced, or more confident.
another reason why I suggested Taxi’s & teachers - they already are “supposedly better”. (And if you can get more experience and confidence without becoming a better dancer then I would be shocked and stunned.)

All that said, I think I agree with you - fine for charity events and such like, but not every evening. :D

Fran
8th-July-2003, 06:07 PM
Nice to have you back Fran- and please don't leave the whip at home next time. You whip me into a frenzy baby... :sorry

thankyou basil - I will see what I can do:wink:

the only problem is that ( and please dont take offense) but I am not exactly sure who your human form is. were you at the charity party on saturday and did we have a few dances - to the "rude " song?

franx

Bill
9th-July-2003, 02:09 PM
thankyou basil - I will see what I can do:wink:

the only problem is that ( and please dont take offense) but I am not exactly sure who your human form is. were you at the charity party on saturday and did we have a few dances - to the "rude " song?

franx

You can't remember if youwere dancing with a fox to a rude song :eek:

John has just mentioned that song on another thread...and I danced along innocently singing but at least it's about a particular dance style :wink:

Can't wait to see you whip BB into a frenzy :rofl:

Fran
9th-July-2003, 02:41 PM

Can't wait to see you whip BB into a frenzy :rofl:

would that be voyerism???:innocent: you could always join in - your not bad at double trouble :wink:

or are you doubting my ability whip BB into a frenzy??:what: :devil:

:hug:

Bill
9th-July-2003, 04:09 PM
would that be voyerism???:innocent: you could always join in - your not bad at double trouble :wink:

or are you doubting my ability whip BB into a frenzy??:what: :devil:

Possibly................but depends on how public doesn't it ??

Don't know if Basil is up for a threesome................especially after being whipped by you :wink: :what:

and I don't doubt oyu culd whip him into a frenzy............but he might just enjoy it too much :innocent:

Fran
9th-July-2003, 05:48 PM
Possibly................but depends on how public doesn't it ??

Don't know if Basil is up for a threesome................especially after being whipped by you :wink: :what:

and I don't doubt oyu culd whip him into a frenzy............but he might just enjoy it too much :innocent:

touche. :wink: I would be gentle though.:devil:

Ps ( dont know how to get the wee line on top of the e) :sorry

Fran
9th-July-2003, 05:49 PM
Still dont know exatly who basil brush is?*?*?:confused: :confused:

fran:confused:

DavidB
10th-July-2003, 12:49 AM
dont know how to get the wee line on top of the eDo you mean this one - éééééééééééééééééééé ???

There is a program called Charmap that allows you to get all these accented characters. It also shows the keyboard shortcut that can be used to get the character directly - for example 'é' is Alt+0233. See here (http://members.aol.com/dwise1/sprachen/keypad.html) for more details.

David

Neil
10th-July-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
There is a program called Charmap that allows you to get all these accented characters. It also shows the keyboard shortcut that can be used to get the character directly - for example 'é' is Alt+0233.
On my system you can also type Alt+130 (use the numeric keypad and make sure you have Num Lock on). However, in many programs (including MS Word and Internet Explorer) you can simply use Alt+Ctrl+e (or whatever character you want to put the acute accent on).

áé*óú (just showing off now :))

Cheers,

Néil

Fran
10th-July-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Do you mean this one - éééééééééééééééééééé ???

There is a program called Charmap that allows you to get all these accented characters. It also shows the keyboard shortcut that can be used to get the character directly - for example 'é' is Alt+0233. See here (http://members.aol.com/dwise1/sprachen/keypad.html) for more details.

David

thankyou David :hug:

fran:nice: