PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about style.....

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 12:58 PM
Since we all have our own style in some shape or form. I am interested to know what does it for you? What attracts you to a dancer style wise?

El Salsero Gringo
15th-June-2006, 01:05 PM
Since we all have our own style in some shape or form. I am interested to know what does it for you? What attracts you to a dancer style wise?I've seen lots of dancers I wasn't impressed by, then seeing them again with a different partner they've "come to life". Not by changing their style but just because they're now dancing with someone who matches them. So I think there's much magic in the way the styles of two people interact.

Gadget
15th-June-2006, 01:09 PM
confidence.

Frankie_4711
15th-June-2006, 01:15 PM
Two things do it for me:

I love a guy who can wiggle WELL - none of this stiff as a board, both feet planted firmly on the ground and leaning your torso from side to side (usually out of time!)!!
Energy! Not necessarily jumping around all over the place at top speed, but putting something extra into what you're doing, even if you're doing it slowly and sedately. Does that make sense?

Freya
15th-June-2006, 01:16 PM
I've seen lots of dancers I wasn't impressed by, then seeing them again with a different partner they've "come to life". Not by changing their style but just because they're now dancing with someone who matches them. So I think there's much magic in the way the styles of two people interact.
:yeah: I would agree with this. I don't think I've got any particular style yet as I'm still concentrating on following so I try and match myself to the person I'm dancing with.

There's definately some people that I feel more comfortable dancing with than others because I dance with them on a more regular basis!

But back to the orriginal question. The type of music does it for me when I'm picking a partner. I like to get music that suits their style as I like to dance to all music!

Freya
15th-June-2006, 01:18 PM
confidence.
You've got enough for everyone hun :wink: :hug:

straycat
15th-June-2006, 01:44 PM
Personally, I want a partner's styling to come directly from a combination of the lead and the music. It's not uncommon to see someone who moves beautifully, but in a manner which appears ... disconnected. Being a social dancer first and foremost, I consider connection to be king, so I suppose I chiefly look out for evidence of it.

David Bailey
15th-June-2006, 01:50 PM
I love a guy who can wiggle WELL - none of this stiff as a board, both feet planted firmly on the ground and leaning your torso from side to side (usually out of time!)!!
When I started I used to put a lot of energy into moves. I remember watching a guy called Andy from London Ceroc dance, maybe 10-12 years ago, and thinking how strange and yet effective it looked to see someone "slow down" their dancing to the music. :rolleyes:

Then, for a few years, I used to do serious amounts of wiggle-age. I think it was all that salsa and merengue that did it. I've kind of gone off that over the past couple of years though.

Now I'm learning AT, I'm just kind of walking around a lot when I dance.

I suspect, at this rate, in a couple of years' time I'll just be doing a Zen/DavidB kind of dancing - where I just stand there, and lead the follower via telepathy or something.

Minnie M
15th-June-2006, 02:00 PM
confidence.
but NOT over-confidence :whistle:

Donna
15th-June-2006, 02:19 PM
I suspect, at this rate, in a couple of years' time I'll just be doing a Zen/DavidB kind of dancing - where I just stand there, and lead the follower via telepathy or something.

:eek: :rofl: I've danced with him using no hand to hand contact... now that is a great way of dancing, and certainly improves the lead and follow thing.

What attracts me to other peoples style is someone who really feels the music and puts a lot of energy into it.. even if they are dancing slow. Also somebody who has good musical interpretation, nice timing, good lead and strong connection and is able to throw in a lot of style at the same time without losing any of the above really does it for me.

azande
15th-June-2006, 02:22 PM
What attracts me to other peoples style is someone who really feels the music and puts a lot of energy into it.. even if they are dancing slow. Also somebody who has good musical interpretation, nice timing, good lead and strong connection and is able to throw in a lot of style at the same time without losing any of the above really does it for me.
Not asking much, are you?

DavidB
15th-June-2006, 02:49 PM
doing a Zen/DavidB kind of dancing - where I just stand there, and lead the follower via telepathy or something.
You see all the ladies standing around the edge of the floor, tapping their feet, or moving side-to-side with the music?

I'm leading that.

They don't even realise they are following me.

David Bailey
15th-June-2006, 03:19 PM
You see all the ladies standing around the edge of the floor, tapping their feet, or moving side-to-side with the music?

I'm leading that.

Damn, you're good.

:eek: :rofl: I've danced with him using no hand to hand contact... now that is a great way of dancing, and certainly improves the lead and follow thing.
That's actually a fairly common showcase thing in AT - it looks like magic, as there's almost no hand movements, it's all in the chest. Spooky...

Rhythm King
15th-June-2006, 03:36 PM

I'm leading that.

That's really impressive :worthy:

Can you get them to go to the bar and each buy you a pint, as well? :cheers:

DavidB
15th-June-2006, 03:51 PM
Can you get them to go to the bar and each buy you a pint, as well?Yes. But because they don't know who is leading them, they don't give me the drinks.

El Salsero Gringo
15th-June-2006, 04:14 PM

I'm leading that.

Can you get them to go to the bar and each buy you a pint, as well? :cheers:Do you think you could just lead more firmly, and get them to buy you doubles? :whistle:

LMC
15th-June-2006, 04:15 PM
Yes. But because they don't know who is leading them, they don't give me the drinks.

I'm sure you could lead them to the bar to order your beer if you made eye contact with them all. Simultaneously of course :devil:

Oh, style

Er, yeah...

I have come to the gloomy conclusion that no amount of workshops or lessons can really teach it - only give you ideas. My style leaves a lot to be desired, but has improved massively as my posture and frame have improved - I believe that both must therefore be critical to being able to demonstrate good style. I love watching stylish dancers and sometimes wish I could make the same or similar movements feel more 'natural' to me. And have managed to acquire just enough style of my own to know that practice is the key thing for things you think you might like to add into your own style.

As far as picking partners is concerned - as my style isn't good enough to allow me to be too picky. If I'm looking for someone to ask, I really only take into account whether they look like they are leading smoothly and on time and having fun. Unless I know them/enjoy dancing with them, I tend to avoid asking guys who are more than a very few inches shorter than me (although will dance with them if they ask me!). Some moves just don't feel good (or look good) when the follower is significantly taller than the leader.

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 05:28 PM
Two things do it for me:

Energy! Not necessarily jumping around all over the place at top speed, but putting something extra into what you're doing, even if you're doing it slowly and sedately. Does that make sense?

I could have written this myself....I totally agree!! Well done Frankie:cheers:

I love energy. If something is worth doing it really is worth giving 100%. I hate dancing with people who have the 'I can't be bothered' air!

I particularly like the 'funky' modern jive style - the sexiness, the energy and the connection can be wunderbar! I also like the graceful side of MJ too though. I suppose it depends on your partner and the track but I love to get on down and strut my stuff! :clap:

Andreas
15th-June-2006, 06:37 PM
Confidence and actually looking at their partner, interacting, i.e. really dancing WITH them.

Andreas
15th-June-2006, 06:40 PM

I'm leading that.

I think you are taking credit here for something that is actually a flaw in their anatomy: small bladder. :na:

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 06:43 PM
Confidence and actually looking at their partner, interacting, i.e. really dancing WITH them.

It is sometimes difficult to make eye contact with certain dancers...... I myself was guilty of not looking at people. I was teased "I'm here!" It does depend on how comfortable you feel with your partner too. I'm much more confident these days though so find it easier now!

TA Guy
15th-June-2006, 07:41 PM
What attracts you to a dancer style wise?

Style wise, nothing really. I look for an enjoyable dance, that has nothing to do with style for me.

If you were to push me, I'd say smoothness. Is that a style ? :) I would say that whilst musicality, wriggles etc. can make a good dancer great, they can't make a bad dancer good. You need smoothness as a foundation and all that implies. The rest is icing on the cake. For me anyway, I'm a whole cake person.

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=LMC]
I have come to the gloomy conclusion that no amount of workshops or lessons can really teach it - only give you ideas.

:yeah: I agree - you can't buy style. You have to develop it from your inner self otherwise it looks false and awkward. Put two people in the same dress and they look different...errr yes well that's obvious but you know what I mean ;)

Just thinking of some of the dancers I know who are more ballroom in style - they would look ridiculous if they suddenly tried to be funky and vice versa.

Yogi_Bear
15th-June-2006, 09:15 PM
Stylewise I have long adopted the policy of finding someone whose style, demeanour, posture, dress, musicality and so forth I really admired and making them a role model for the development of my own dance ability. That has always been the intention, not that have ever fulfilled more than a fraction of the objectives.
yb

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 09:31 PM
YB - Iam sure you are too modest!

Yogi_Bear
15th-June-2006, 11:57 PM
YB - Iam sure you are too modest!
LW - others would have to judge. But thank you for the thought...

MartinHarper
16th-June-2006, 12:41 AM
What attracts you to a dancer style wise?

Someone who matches the style of the music and the style of their partner.

Twirly
16th-June-2006, 10:06 AM
It is sometimes difficult to make eye contact with certain dancers...... *snip* I'm much more confident these days though so find it easier now!

:yeah:

When I first started dancing I'd get really self-concious about too much eye-contact. Because I didn't know the guy it felt almost too intimate as I didn't know the person at all. Now, because the guys at my usual venues are familiar to me and I've got used to it, I actually like it (so long as it's not over the top staring where he never takes his eyes off you or changes his facial expression! :eek: ), and it doesn't bother me when someone I've not danced with before does it. In fact, it feels odd if someone doesn't make eye contact at all during the dance.

Rebecca
16th-June-2006, 10:49 AM
Just thinking of some of the dancers I know who are more ballroom in style - they would look ridiculous if they suddenly tried to be funky and vice versa

I used to think this - I was ballet trained and when I started MJ I couldn't get this styling out of my dancing no matter how I tried. People used to say I was graceful, but I wanted to be funky really, when the music was right. . .

Stylewise I have long adopted the policy of finding someone whose style, demeanour, posture, dress, musicality and so forth I really admired and making them a role model for the development of my own dance ability

Then I discovered this method. Much like an actor I suppose I started looking at some amazing dancers with all sorts of predominant styles and imagined I was them for 3 mins. It was fun. No idea if it works but it feels right :confused:

For me, when looking at guys I would like to dance with, most often styling comes from confidence. Any style will do as long as it's done with conviction :waycool:

littlewiggle
18th-June-2006, 06:53 PM
Any style will do as long as it's done with conviction :waycool:

I thought I agreed with this until last night! I can usually follow most people and adapt my own style but then I had a dance with a man of the 'braces brigade' and found it quite difficult to gel with him ....even remotely. I suppose it didn't help that he was a giant and I am only a wee thing too.

I then took some time to observe other dancers and noticed that the 'braces' do seem to have a particular style and it generally clashes with mine. Not that I mind terribly as the styles I most admire are street/funky, latin and graceful. I'm not really fussed about those that jump about all over the place...I actually was a bit embarrassed! :blush:

under par
18th-June-2006, 08:19 PM
What is STYLE?

I don't think I know the answer as I have found it difficult putting it very well into words.

My attempt at defining what our dance "style" is as follows.

As we learn and progress in our life of our dancing, we are influenced by what type/form of dances we learn, from whom, from the variety of music we dance to, from who we dance with, who we watch dancing and who we wish to emulate,( amongst others areas!!)
As such our "style" is the result of the amalgamation of our experiences and ambitions taking into consideration our physical attributes and confidence.

Therefore by my definition our "style" is a snapshot of our dance experience which will probably vary greatly in time (especially in the formative months and years.)

The more experienced the dancer then the less hurried and more relaxed the person is within the music of the dance.

The influence of different dance forms (MJ ,latin, WCS, ballroom, salsa or tango etc.) on a dancer may lead to that person having certain dance skills/attributes.
These skills/attributes can be seen by others and can often be recognised as from this or that source dance form and may well lead to that person's dancing being described as "this style" or "that style" of dancing.

What is amazing for me is the challenge of trying to influence/fuse my "style" of dancing, for what it is, with that of many other persons "style".

Trying to find the balance between letting my partner express themselves within the music whilst maintaining some elements of my moves and control is the "Clash" of our styles.

Sometimes it works like a dream and the effects can be mindblowing, it is this " ????????" that I believe we are all trying to achieve/find within our dancing.

Many more times it does not work thus, this then becomes the challenge to find that balance. It is this that keeps me going, striving to improve and achieve these dances with more dancers more often .

Apoogies for a bit of a ramble... :flower:

LMC
19th-June-2006, 09:31 AM
I then took some time to observe other dancers and noticed that the 'braces' do seem to have a particular style and it generally clashes with mine. Not that I mind terribly as the styles I most admire are street/funky, latin and graceful. I'm not really fussed about those that jump about all over the place...I actually was a bit embarrassed! :blush:
[COMPLETELY unreasonable and ignorant generalisation mode] - it often seems to me that guys in braces and black and white shoes are lindyhoppers. Which when used in MJ, seems to be quite a bouncy, fast and footworky style that I don't get along very well with - I'm not built for speed :blush:

robd
19th-June-2006, 11:34 AM
Any leaders who went to this year's Ceroc Champs will probably hesitate before pulling on the braces for a night's dancing :sick:

DavidB
19th-June-2006, 11:37 AM
Any leaders who went to this year's Ceroc Champs will probably hesitate before pulling on the braces for a night's dancingEverything from costume malfunctions to Attempted Murder on the Dancefloor...

Andreas
19th-June-2006, 01:06 PM
Everything from costume malfunctions to Attempted Murder on the Dancefloor...
Which obviously is entirely a matter of interpretation ... :na:

johnthehappyguy
19th-June-2006, 01:33 PM
.... the 'braces brigade' and found it quite difficult to gel with him .... 'braces' do seem to have a particular style and it generally clashes with mine.

I sometimes wear braces,and they are fairly rare up here.

What is their stereotype where you are ?

thanks,

John:nice:

johnthehappyguy
19th-June-2006, 01:36 PM
Since we all have our own style in some shape or form. I am interested to know what does it for you? What attracts you to a dancer style wise?

Rhonde's:awe:

littlewiggle
19th-June-2006, 06:38 PM
I sometimes wear braces,and they are fairly rare up here.

What is their stereotype where you are ?

thanks,

John:nice:

Well I was generalising.....that always gets a discussion going!

BUT I don't want to start a riot ........

Freya
19th-June-2006, 10:23 PM
a bit of a ramble... :flower:

:yeah: Couldn't agree more with your ramble!!!!

You've expressed something very well that isn't easily put into words!!!

Paul F
20th-June-2006, 08:54 AM
Hmmm, there's that word again - 'STYLE' :sick:

It was only when I started MJ that I came across workshops which made you believe they would teach you 'style'. Even my very early street dance and ballroom days didnt attempt to teach you style. What they did teach was 'technique' !

To me there is an intrinsic link between technique and the perception of style.

In general I would say that the way a dancer dances is based on various techniques that they have picked up in whatever flavour of dance they have done and how they fuse these techniques into the music that is playing.

Now for the tricky bit - As MJ does not have any strict technique, so to speak, how could you define where someones style comes from? The only answer I could suggest would be along the same lines as everyone else - IMITATION.
People with no experience in other styles of dance, or people that choose to, can only attempt to imitate those dancers they admire. The problem now is that they are attempting to imitate a 'style' that the target dancer has picked up through other sources over a period of time. Without that same background training the copied style will never mimic exactly what has been seen. That then causes an evolutionary cascade of perceived styles (ooof, thats deep!! :) ) ultimately triggered by a dancer introducing a technique from an external source ie. external to MJ.

As an example I have to think back to the hayday of Hipsters. As H used to bring together Lindy Hoppers and MJers alike the 'style' of dancers among the regulars was definately different to that observed at other venues. This is because you have a number of people attending the end of night freestyle who are bringing different 'techniques' to the party. This is obviously going to influence, not only those that are dancing, but those aspiring to the people they are watching.
Im not saying it is totally different these days, of course not, but I do notice so many other influencing factors in people's dancing due to things such as the introduction of WCS as well as the next cycle of ballroom/latin influence - the continuing evolution of styles.

So what is style?
Its the introduction into MJ of key techniques from external sources followed by the imitation of these techniques which produce an evolution in how people dance.

What elements of style do I look for in dancers?
None. Its ever changing. What is seen as a great style point now may not seem so in a years time.

Paul F
20th-June-2006, 10:15 AM
What is STYLE?
Apoogies for a bit of a ramble... :flower:

I think I repeated elements of your post there UP. That will teach me to read things in future :D

Gadget
20th-June-2006, 01:19 PM
I think that "Style" and "Technique" are different entities, and can be taught seperatly;
"Style" is anything that does not add to the lead/follow communication with your partner.
"Technique" is how to make sure that your style does not interfear in the communication with your partner, or alternativly that the elements of style you intend do get communicated to your partner.

"Technique" with regards to style is generally isolation. Other than that it's about forming lines, playing with timeing and not falling over.

Yogi_Bear
20th-June-2006, 01:27 PM
Well, at its simplest, technique is what it takes to execute the moves or steps correctly and accurately; style (or more accurately, stylishness) is what you add to make it look good. The former can readily be taught, the latter is much harder to convey. You can have technique yet be totally lacking style. You cannot easily have style without good basic technique.

Twirly
20th-June-2006, 01:30 PM
Listening to the above, does anyone think it worth doing the "style" workshops that Ceroc offers? Was thinking about it, but now wonder if it's worth it. Any suggestions?

Yogi_Bear
20th-June-2006, 01:37 PM
Listening to the above, does anyone think it worth doing the "style" workshops that Ceroc offers? Was thinking about it, but now wonder if it's worth it. Any suggestions?

I think it would depend on your level of development as a dancer.

But without knowing anything about the content of these workshops, my own view is that while I would pay for a workshop to learn correct technique (including lead and follow, compression, leverage etc) I would prefer to appreciate style by watching others (both live and recorded).

There again there is musicality. Neither technique nor stylishness. I know I would pay for a good lesson in that.

Yogi_Bear
20th-June-2006, 01:40 PM
My suggestion for an interesting MJ workshop:
(a) How to dance a track well using just one move
(b) How to dance a track well without using moves at all.

A synthesis of technique, style and above all, musicality.......:waycool:

timbp
20th-June-2006, 01:40 PM
Why not?

You're sure to learn somthing, even if it is technique rather than style:grin:

In Sydney, the current world salsa champions teach "style" workshops, so they see style in salsa as something worth learning separately to salsa technique.

I cant' see why that wouldn't also apply in ceroc.

Gadget
20th-June-2006, 01:50 PM
Yes. :clap:

It teaches where it's "safe" to add style, gives some options/suggestions on what to do and what not to do, and incorporates a little bit of musicality, hi-jacking and lead/follow techniques.

Also depends on who's teaching it - different teachers are stronger in different areas.

under par
20th-June-2006, 02:37 PM
I think I repeated elements of your post there UP. That will teach me to read things in future :D

You described it far mor eloquently.:worthy:

karlhudds
20th-June-2006, 08:03 PM
for me style is being able to accomplish beginer moves and or variations to music that you enjoy

this dose also mean having fun while you dance

i see toooo many people dancing without a smile i think "why come"

but thats just me :nice:

alot of people from hudds think i have style and ask me to teach them!!

i think its better if you can develop a style and then its yours ?????

karlhudds
20th-June-2006, 08:04 PM
erm sorry but just one other thing thats very stylish to me anyway

using a slot/track/ line i think this can seam boring but you dont have to worry as much about where your dancing and who you might be dancing into :eek:

tomboh
20th-June-2006, 10:35 PM
Interesting discussion about the difference between style and technique:

Well, at its simplest, technique is what it takes to execute the moves or steps correctly and accurately; style (or more accurately, stylishness) is what you add to make it look good.

This definition works for me, and reminds me of something I read - I forget what - about the difference between expression and communication.

Expression describes our personal interpretation of an idea (style), whereas communication describes our audience's perception of our expression (technique).

Style strikes me as a deeply personal way of leading or following a dance. We all have different styles. Sometimes two dancers' styles click, sometimes not. But we have a shared technique that allows us to communicate with dancers we don't know. That technique derives from indicators that point most dancers in the right direction. But style lets us express our own individuality within the constraints of technique.

I don't think of technical constraints as negative. Without them, leading and following wouldn't work. But without style, we would mechanise the way we dance.

Twirly
20th-June-2006, 10:47 PM
So one needs technique (the steps in Ceroc) before one can embellish with style?

Yogi_Bear
20th-June-2006, 10:52 PM
erm sorry but just one other thing thats very stylish to me anyway

using a slot/track/ line i think this can seam boring but you dont have to worry as much about where your dancing and who you might be dancing into :eek:
Why would slotted dancing be boring? Why would it amke it harder to dance stylishly? I don't understand....

Yogi_Bear
20th-June-2006, 10:56 PM
So one needs technique (the steps in Ceroc) before one can embellish with style?
Depends where you are starting from, but I would say if you are new to MJ and have little other dance experience then you need a basic groundwork in technique first. Without that I don't see how dancing 'with good style' would work.

tomboh
20th-June-2006, 11:15 PM

I don't see it as a choice between style and technique. You learn technique; you develop style. Sure, some beginners pick up a more technical approach while others quickly adopt their own style, but neither extreme can ignore aspects of the other approach.

I can't imagine a purely stylistic or technical dance, so I don't see how anyone can focus exclusively on one, neglecting the other.

littlewiggle
20th-June-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't see it as a choice between style and technique. You learn technique; you develop style.
I think you have captured my thoughts here too! Style comes from within and grows with confidence. Two people may have the same technique but I think style is an individual interpretation. I remember when I first started to dance, any thoughts of style where out of the window as I was concentrating so hard on the moves, I couldn't cope with putting style into it as well. As my dancing progressed, I decided some flair was needed and brought in arm and foot styling and my very own 'little wiggle' hence the pseudo :grin:

spindr
21st-June-2006, 12:12 AM
Technique is learning what you can dance.
Style is choosing what to dance, not just a habit.

SpinDr

MartinHarper
21st-June-2006, 12:37 AM
I can't imagine a purely stylistic or technical dance

I've been taught a couple of "dances" by Johnny Lloyd that might qualify as "purely technical". Just lead/follow fundamentals in a closed position. Solo-dancing comes pretty close to "purely stylistic".

Twirly
22nd-June-2006, 01:22 PM
I think you have captured my thoughts here too! Style comes from within and grows with confidence. Two people may have the same technique but I think style is an individual interpretation. I remember when I first started to dance, any thoughts of style where out of the window as I was concentrating so hard on the moves, I couldn't cope with putting style into it as well. As my dancing progressed, I decided some flair was needed and brought in arm and foot styling and my very own 'little wiggle' hence the pseudo :grin:

:yeah: :yeah:

That's pretty much what I was thinking when I asked my question. Those first few weeks it's a case of staying upright and not getting in a tangle with other beginners. Then you get to dance with better dancers as your confidence improves - only to be struggling to stay upright and not get in a tangle with them... and as you get better and dance with even better (and faster!) dancers... you know what I mean :wink:

See my other thread about relaxing whilst dancing - those I'm familiar with I can start to develop a style with, whilst those whom I find more of a challenge, well I'm too worried about messing it up! :rofl:

fletch
22nd-June-2006, 01:46 PM
this dose also mean having fun while you dance

i see toooo many people dancing without a smile i think "why come"

but thats just me :nice:

alot of people from hudds think i have style and ask me to teach them!!

i think its better if you can develop a style and then its yours ?????

I'm not supprised that you have been asked to teach others,:respect: but like jammy you both have that certain something, you can't teach that.:worthy:

I danced with a young guy on Sunday in Aberdeen he had only been dancing for 6 weeks and he has 'it' he just needs to develop it and give it a little time.:waycool:

Style to me if fun, understanding the 'dance' weather its a good old 'frott' with one of your 'frotting' guys or a very serious tango type.:clap:

I

timbp
22nd-June-2006, 03:11 PM
Those first few weeks
I'm sure you mean "Those first few months"

And I think the truth is "Those first few quarters".

littlewiggle
3rd-July-2006, 08:47 PM
It's a real buzz though when you have a great dance with real connection and your styles match. Love it!

robd
4th-July-2006, 11:09 AM
but like jammy you both have that certain something, you can't teach that.:worthy:

Were you referring to youth and good looks by any chance Fletch???

Franck
2nd-December-2014, 06:29 PM
Already many opinions in the last few pages, but I wonder what the current, and your personal, definition of Style would be?