PDA

View Full Version : Rep Tarts

CJ
14th-June-2006, 12:43 AM
:angry: :confused: :angry: :confused: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Yliander
14th-June-2006, 12:55 AM
I suspect I am going to regret this but I'm going to ask anyway - but what is a rep tart? and how does one recgonise one?

CJ
14th-June-2006, 12:56 AM
I suspect I am going to regret this but I'm going to ask anyway - but what is a rep tart? and how does one recgonise one?

In this context, it's someone so desperate for rep, they would "plant" another forum personality to artificially raise the rep of themselves and/or their friends.

In most other contexts, David James.:D

Trousers
14th-June-2006, 02:51 AM
Thats not fair. Probably not true and well naughty

DJ appeared a while ago and went into astronomical rep numbers like my bar bill at corporate events. This was ok. No skin off my nose as it were.

However there was a time when DJ had an opinion on everything no thread was verboten, if he was on he was in that thread and like it or not if you post that much someone is gonna like what you say and give you rep. This was boring.

Now DJ has evolved into a Dark version of his former self like Spider Man and Venom (oh come on keep with the plot) and seems to show restraint and a good tendancy to avoid drivelous threads or at least to mock them outright. I like this new DJ!

DJ if the damn machine would let me I'd rep u agian.

Rep?
It's just a number.
What did we say thats what I'm looking for!
Did we pick the correct spelling of their?
Do we afterall care?

Did any of that make sense?

God i hope not

David Franklin
14th-June-2006, 08:37 AM
Thats not fair. Probably not true and well naughtyCJ wasn't accusing DJ of wrong doing - he explictly excluded him from the context of "plants". But the original meaning of "rep tart" was someone who would openly tout for people to give them rep, and DJ was fairly shameless (more in jest than anything else, I would say) in doing so.

Like CJ, I would be very surprised to find DJ had been falsely inflating his rep. I'm sure he deserves his stratospheric rating.

To be honest, I think "rep tart" in the context of people creating false users etc. is a misnomer. It would be more accurate, if more perjorative, to say "rep cheat" or "rep fraudster"

LMC
14th-June-2006, 08:52 AM
Tessalicious suggested naming & shaming.

My response was that the punishment should fit the crime - zero the reps of the culprits.

I confess that I had a "plant" ID, which was Ethel - but it was a joke one and I never got round to posting with it (already asked Franck to remove). Never occurred to me that I could rep myself with an alternate ID: how sad is it that rep is so important to someone that they would do that?*

I lost interest in the "validity" of the rep system when I overtook a number of people who are truly dance experts and deserve the highest reps on this particular forum. The little comments are nice, and mean much more to me than the numbers :)

*Edit: it was always obvious that DJ was mickey taking and his rep tarting was just funny :D

Paul F
14th-June-2006, 08:54 AM
To be honest, I think "rep tart" in the context of people creating false users etc. is a misnomer. It would be more accurate, if more perjorative, to say "rep cheat" or "rep fraudster"

:yeah:

Only the other day I was guilty (yes I admit it) to touting for rep :tears:

On the other thread I hatched a baldrick style cunning plan. I suggested there was a problem with the forum that people repping me would receive money

:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: I feel so dirty :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

For those that rep'd me, Im so sorry. In reality I have to come clean and admit that noone will receive anything. Im sorry to let you down like that.

:tears:

May a thousand fleas infest my undergarments as a penance.

:flower:

ps. Anyone interested in joining my pyramid selling scheme :nice:

David Franklin
14th-June-2006, 09:17 AM
ps. Anyone interested in joining my pyramid selling scheme :nice:
Once I was a poor lurker who managed a few minutes a day at my
computer reading the forum between appointments. Sure, it was rewarding
work, but to be honest, a person can stay so long on the singleton's sofa.

Then one day I saw a post much like this one. Now with my rep score
in the billions, I have been made a forum moderator. My forum power
is more greater than you can imagine, and my avatar is a 60 minute mpeg
advertisement for my modern jive classes!

Now I am sharing my good fortune with you. No, I am not sending you any rep.
I am going to make public my famous but here-to-now secret method of making
rep. You, too, can enjoy reputation beyond belief. All you have to do is
follow this simple plan:

1. Give me lots of rep. Each time you give me rep, make sure you include
your full user ID so I can ensure you get what's coming to you. In fact, give
me your password as well to make sure I have all the information I need.

2. Within a month or so of giving me your password, you will find you are
giving out rep to people without even knowing about it. This is all part of
the plan! The best way to get rep is to give it out, so, out of the
goodness of my heart, I will take it upon myself to make sure you give rep
often.

3. Soon, new postings will come out under your name, explaining where to
buy lots of things that are really useful to forumites, like V1AGRA and P1RATE
S0FTWAREZ. Forumites really appreciate such postings, and they will quickly
show that appreciation by giving you rep.

4. If you have any friends who are as gullible as you are, be sure to pass on
a copy of this message. Think of how angry they would get if they discovered
you were getting all that rep and not sharing your secret with them!

5. Remember, I will also accept houses, commercial property, automobiles,
jewelry, small appliances, and other valuables in leu of rep.

So what have you got to lose? Try it; you won't be sorry.

MartinHarper
14th-June-2006, 09:32 AM
My rep score actually went up during Franck's cleanup. Probably because I have been creating lots of alternate user IDs in order to give myself negative rep.

ToeTrampler
14th-June-2006, 09:35 AM
My rep score actually went up during Franck's cleanup. Probably because I have been creating lots of alternate user IDs in order to give myself negative rep.
Superb - have some more :rofl:

David Bailey
14th-June-2006, 09:37 AM
Now DJ has evolved into a Dark version of his former self like Spider Man and Venom (oh come on keep with the plot) and seems to show restraint and a good tendancy to avoid drivelous threads or at least to mock them outright. I like this new DJ!
Me too. He's great, I wonder what we can do to show our appreciation... (Hey, given the title, what did you expect?)

And I think "drivel-ous" should now be added to the forum glossary along with Harperlink etc.

BTW, I've just noticed that the www.mjda.org forum has neither rep nor power - presumably that's a deliberate decision.

For those that rep'd me, Im so sorry. In reality I have to come clean and admit that noone will receive anything. Im sorry to let you down like that.
:eek: I want my rep back!

Actually, there's a whole body of study on the value of "currency" in online arenas - particularly online multiplayer games. So rep is clearly of some value, but how much? For example, how much would you pay for, say, 1,000 rep points? £1? £10? Nothing?

Never occurred to me that I could rep myself with an alternate ID: how sad is it that rep is so important to someone that they would do that?
Dunno, really. I do recall a jokey suggestion from, err, someone (FirstMove?) about creating 6 alternate IDs to get round the "only rep the same person once every 6 times" rule, however.

I lost interest in the "validity" of the rep system when I overtook a number of people who are truly dance experts and deserve the highest reps on this particular forum. The little comments are nice, and mean much more to me than the numbers :)
Really, rep generally just reflects the amount of posts you do, is all. A more accurate measure of "respect" would be a rep-to-posts ratio, given a large enough amount of posts, but this would be skewed because of the Great Rep Reset of whenever it was (2004?). So people who did lots of posts pre-Reset have low ratios, and people who did lots of posts have higher ones.

I still think there should be another rep reset, as I stated in this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7056) - but the consensus at that point (from the votes) was that it was OK as was. I think the situation's got worse, now that more people have hit the "power 6" ceiling however.

Stuart M
14th-June-2006, 10:33 AM
Really, rep generally just reflects the amount of posts you do, is all. A more accurate measure of "respect" would be a rep-to-posts ratio, given a large enough amount of posts, but this would be skewed because of the Great Rep Reset of whenever it was (2004?). So people who did lots of posts pre-Reset have low ratios, and people who did lots of posts have higher ones.
:yeah:
Without being able to distinguish between "luvvie", "rofl", "electronic hug(TM)", "I so agree" and "gosh that was a cogent comment about dancing" rep, it's meaningless anyway. Been said before.

Anyway, you missed the opportunity to use the phrase "posts post-rep-reset" there. You still wouldn't have beaten Lou's "It's not ""its"", it's ""it's""" sentence in the type-twister stakes though.

ducasi
14th-June-2006, 11:18 AM
Really, rep generally just reflects the amount of posts you do, is all. A more accurate measure of "respect" would be a rep-to-posts ratio, given a large enough amount of posts, but this would be skewed because of the Great Rep Reset of whenever it was (2004?). I'm not so sure that rep-to-posts is such a great measure actually.

I've made countless posts on the likes of the "word association" thread which pushes up my post count, but isn't ever likely to improve my rep score.

If rep/post score were posted, I, and other people who suffer from rep-vanity, might choose not to post so much in these kinds of nonsense threads...

But then, maybe that's what people want... :sad:

Piglet
14th-June-2006, 03:41 PM
I've made countless posts on the likes of the "word association" thread which pushes up my post count, but isn't ever likely to improve my rep score.
Don't do this cos it'll make me :sad: enough to :tears:

Beowulf
14th-June-2006, 08:44 PM
ok.. I'm new(ish) but I post on numerous forums (Ceroc being just one) On the other forums I'm well known, have a high post count and people who know me know I'm knowledgeable about what I write.

A number of these forums use the vBulletin software used here but do not have the rep feature enabled. Personally I don’t see why rep is so important. If you are a prominent figure on the forum then people will know your reputation without some arbitrary figure needing to be attached to it.

One of my forums has 208,327 Threads, 3,492,238 posts and some 50,606 members, no rep system in place, no special rank for numbers of posts etc and (if modesty allows me to say so) I’m well liked and well known there.

Rep scoring not all it’s cracked up to be. If people know you and like you then they know you and like you. if the rep system is so open to tampering then sure it's valueless?

My Reputation tends to follow me round the web as I always use the same username for everything.. a quick google of my username shows my entire internet "life" so to speak without fear of any negative postings turning up.

if you are open with your posts, truthful, fair , knowledgeable and fun then you will accrue real reputation that far outstrips any numeric entry in a database.

Just my tuppence worth

(of course.. am now expecting swarms of negative rep postings with comments akin to "well if you don't want it I'll take it back" hehe)

Trousers
14th-June-2006, 08:57 PM
Just my tuppence worth

Awww cumon mate 'ain't ya got nuffink smaller.
Cant bloody change that y'know.

Tuppence 'e says

Bloody Tuppence as if we're all made of money!

Beowulf
14th-June-2006, 09:16 PM
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag."

So.. YOU'RE THE FROOD!!! ;)

Piglet
14th-June-2006, 10:05 PM
Personally I don’t see why rep is so important.
In the scheme of things, rep isn't important I agree.

However, it does bring a smile to my face when I notice my rep has gone up and surely that can't be a bad thing?

Yliander
14th-June-2006, 11:01 PM
:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: I feel so dirty :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: would you like a hand getting clean?

Trousers
14th-June-2006, 11:27 PM
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag."

So.. YOU'RE THE FROOD!!! ;)
You know that been there seen it done it go stick your head in a pig flolloping along like a mattress sort of feeling?

Your name ain't Colin is it?

Graham
15th-June-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm not so sure that rep-to-posts is such a great measure actually.

You seem to be arguing against yourself there......:wink:

Beowulf
15th-June-2006, 08:09 AM
You know that been there seen it done it go stick your head in a pig flolloping along like a mattress sort of feeling?

Your name ain't Colin is it?

Nope.. it's Eddie and I'm in the space time continuum !! :rofl:

(actually it's Pete..:nice: )

Lou
15th-June-2006, 12:11 PM
And don't forget there's quite a few posters who were prolific prior to rep even being a twinkle in Franck's eye...

David Bailey
15th-June-2006, 01:40 PM
And don't forget there's quite a few posters who were prolific prior to rep even being a twinkle in Franck's eye...
Watch it, or you'll lose you magic number, young man... :devil:

Trousers
15th-June-2006, 04:51 PM
Nope.. it's Eddie and I'm in the space time continuum !! :rofl:

(actually it's Pete..:nice: )
Nice Chesterfield you have

LMC
15th-June-2006, 04:54 PM
Keep banging the rocks together guys

stewart38
18th-June-2006, 11:23 PM
There are a few people that rep each other everytime they can

I cant be arsed with it been stuck on 875 for ages and its doesnt bother me

In fact id like to stay at 875

under par
18th-June-2006, 11:37 PM
And I think "drivel-ous" should now be added to the forum glossary along with Harperlink etc.

Drivellous lovely word !!! Wasn't it me that started it...:wink: :

This is a rep tart thread :whistle: : :wink: