PDA

View Full Version : rep query...

ducasi
12th-June-2006, 03:24 PM
I've noticed my rep score go down twice today, but I don't have any negative reps – have some threads or posts been deleted and if I had been repped in them, would that account for the discrepancy?

This happen to anyone else?

WittyBird
12th-June-2006, 03:28 PM

Yep, negative rep from S38 and have gone from 1904 to 1853
Maybe Franck has decided to let peoples ages be there power now!

David Bailey
12th-June-2006, 03:40 PM
Yep, negative rep from S38 and have gone from 1904 to 1853
Maybe Franck has decided to let peoples ages be there power now!
Blimey, good point. We're all waaasssting awaaayyy. :eek:

I can feel my strength draining... Maybe I shouldn't have had that last haircut.

LMC
12th-June-2006, 03:45 PM
Perhaps Franck has just removed rep ability from one of the forum sections - and made it retrospective :devil:

I can't see whether I've lost any rep comments - can't remember them all. May have lost some points but dunno how many.

azande
12th-June-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, lost one point today without negative rep.

Franck
12th-June-2006, 04:00 PM
I've noticed my rep score go down twice today, but I don't have any negative reps – have some threads or posts been deleted and if I had been repped in them, would that account for the discrepancy?

Yes, I was removing rep points given by 'forum plants' so a few people lost points today.

Apologies for any trauma caused!

David Bailey
12th-June-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes, I was removing rep points given by 'forum plants' so a few people lost points today.
These are the ones who just log on and sit there in the same position, taking root, yes?

Piglet
12th-June-2006, 04:12 PM
What is a forum plant?

ToeTrampler
12th-June-2006, 04:19 PM
What is a forum plant?It's a bit like a Discussion Tree :D

Franck
12th-June-2006, 04:25 PM
What is a forum plant?Usually, second forum identities registered by a forum member.

In the past this was done to advertise / prop up events, and occasionally for a practical joke.

Recently, people have tried to register second accounts on the Forum with a view to boost their rep :sad: or to be able to say more 'offensive' stuff anonymously

In future, I'll first delete the reps, and merge the 'plant' account with the originator so they can take responsibility for their posts / thoughts.

David Bailey
12th-June-2006, 04:28 PM
Recently, people have tried to register second accounts on the Forum with a view to boost their rep :sad: or to be able to say more 'offensive' stuff anonymously
Good grief - why do I never think of these cool ideas :tears:

Any more tips? :innocent:

LMC
12th-June-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, all I can say is "Thank goodness I never made any posts as Ethel".

Couldn't think of anything appropriate to the discussion of "the Ten" that was going on at the time :blush:

Go ahead and get rid of that one Franck :D

and :hug: for housekeeping :flower:

EDIT: I have to say that I have been watching some of the number adjustments over the last hour or so with morbid and extremely sad fascination :devil:

David Bailey
12th-June-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, all I can say is "Thank goodness I never made any posts as Ethel".

Couldn't think of anything appropriate to the discussion of "the Ten" that was going on at the time :blush:
So where is Ethel going this weekend then? :whistle:

LMC
12th-June-2006, 04:43 PM
Into a black hole, never to be seen again, presumably.

Or is Hammersmith next week?

ducasi
12th-June-2006, 05:10 PM

Apologies for any trauma caused!I've lost ~9 points... I think I'll live. :)

Can't help wondering who those "forum plants" were that gave me rep and what for... :confused:

Franck
12th-June-2006, 05:12 PM
I've lost ~9 points... I think I'll live. :)

Can't help wondering who those "forum plants" were that gave me rep and what for... :confused:
Well, the way the rep system works, is that Rep has to be spread, so many forumites received rep messages though they were not connected!

Tessalicious
12th-June-2006, 05:13 PM
Me too - only one point though, so Franck obviously hasn't found my plant yet :whistle:

Seriously, this might be an appropriate time to say: Franck - name and shame?

LMC
12th-June-2006, 05:30 PM
:yeah:

Perhaps the punishment should fit the crime, and anyone who has been repping themselves from a duplicate account should have their rep zeroed :devil:

Donna
12th-June-2006, 06:31 PM
:yeah:

Perhaps the punishment should fit the crime, and anyone who has been repping themselves from a duplicate account should have their rep zeroed :devil:

:yeah: :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
12th-June-2006, 06:41 PM
Can I just check ... has Fletch been deleted too?

dee
12th-June-2006, 07:06 PM
I don't remember any plants repping me :confused: but guess they must of done :sad:

All plants.... please keep your roots to yourselves.. Thank you :flower:

Gojive
12th-June-2006, 07:31 PM
I don't remember any plants repping me :confused: but guess they must of done :sad:

Maybe it was a stalker?....ok, ok, I'm leafing now....:yum:

dee
12th-June-2006, 08:03 PM

Your just rooting for answers :rolleyes:

Minnie M
12th-June-2006, 08:06 PM
oh dear Gojive.......... :( :blush: you can do better than that :rolleyes: are you bored now there is no more SDF :whistle:

Lynn
12th-June-2006, 08:06 PM
All this stemming from a simple question...

Northants Girly
12th-June-2006, 08:53 PM
There did seem to be quite a few newish anonymous forumites posting lately . . . . . .

by anonymous I mean folk with no info what so ever in their profiles . . . . . . :whistle:

Gojive
12th-June-2006, 08:53 PM
oh dear Gojive.......... :( :blush: you can do better than that :rolleyes: are you bored now there is no more SDF :whistle:
Sorry petal, no more - I promise! :flower: oh b*gger! :yum:

Tazmanian Devil
12th-June-2006, 11:41 PM
I go away for half a day and all this happens :eek: Me rep has dropped and we have plants in the computer (hmmmm Maybe this is why my wireless doesn't want to connect) :confused:

ducasi
12th-June-2006, 11:49 PM
Well I'm happy as my rep has gone back up to what it was before (plus recent reps.) :nice:

I still find it hard to believe that anyone would create a second account, make ten posts, then start repping people – just so they could increase their own rep. :confused:

What's the point? It might look good, but you'd still know it was bogus.

Paul F
13th-June-2006, 09:04 AM
I think there IS a problem with this rep-ing system

Every time somebody reps me they receive large amounts of cash in the post a few days later. Very weird.

Feel free to try it out if you dont believe me :D

Lou
13th-June-2006, 09:51 AM
So where is Ethel going this weekend then? :whistle:
I imagine that Ethel will go to St Bon's - to listen to Marc Forster, of course. :whistle:

Oooh! Look at my rep! 666!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
13th-June-2006, 10:44 AM
I lost two points :sad: I don't have as much rep as all of you famous posters, means more to me than all of you who have thousands of rep points

Missy D
13th-June-2006, 05:29 PM
Dont 37 then gained 7 now lost 1:confused:

Zebra Woman
13th-June-2006, 07:07 PM
Usually, second forum identities registered by a forum member.

In the past this was done to advertise / prop up events, and occasionally for a practical joke.

In future, I'll first delete the reps, and merge the 'plant' account with the originator so they can take responsibility for their posts / thoughts.

I see some interesting reading ahead.....:devil:

Question:

Will this mean FoxyLady will be made to be responsible for FoxyLady's Hips?

Or were they never actually under her control at alll? :confused:

Who is controlling FoxyLady's Hips? That's what I'd like to know.

And can they please make mine do the same thing...:drool:

ZW

Lory
13th-June-2006, 07:32 PM
Question:

Who is controlling FoxyLady's Hips?
This is indeed interesting :confused: But I believe, even she doesn't have the answer but when she finally finds the man who controls them (to her liking:wink: ), no doubt she'll grasp him with both hands and deal with him, most severely :devil: :yum: :whistle:

David Bailey
13th-June-2006, 07:35 PM
Will this mean FoxyLady will be made to be responsible for FoxyLady's Hips?
What about Obi's Sweat Band? Ewww....

El Salsero Gringo
13th-June-2006, 08:42 PM
This is indeed interesting :confused: But I believe, even she doesn't have the answer but when she finally finds the man who controls them (to her liking:wink: ), no doubt she'll grasp him with both hands and deal with him, most severely :devil: :yum: :whistle:{quakes}<quakes><quakes></quakes></quakes>

David Bailey
13th-June-2006, 08:52 PM
I lost two points :sad: I don't have as much rep as all of you famous posters, means more to me than all of you who have thousands of rep points
As a reformed rep tart, can I just say :respect: :worthy: :clap: :innocent:

Oooh! Look at my rep! 666!
So tempting... :devil: (appropriate icon, that :) )

Gojive
13th-June-2006, 10:32 PM
As a reformed rep tart, can I just say

Isn't a 'reformed rep tart' someone who tarts under a different guise? :whistle: ......:na:

Piglet
13th-June-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the explanation Franck!

Wow, what a complicated world this net thing is, huh?

Mind you I had thought that was one good way to increase your rep - but I haven't done it - honest!! What I want to know now, is how do you know who is the same person - or have they not been clever enough to invent a very different email address. If they're on the same service as mine they could have at least 5 (possibly 7) different names. I used to be really into competitions and tried entering under the different names - went to a lot of time and effort making up slightly different names only to find my plan was foiled cos I could only enter their comps once under one of the names - didn't matter which one. That taught me a lesson :sick:

And yep, I think you should name and shame too! I'm away to look at who has repped me cos my points went down by 4 that I'm aware of and then back up by 2 - reminds me of "Soap"... confused? You will be when you watch the next episode of...

foxylady
14th-June-2006, 10:18 AM
This is indeed interesting :confused: But I believe, even she doesn't have the answer but when she finally finds the man who controls them (to her liking:wink: ), no doubt she'll grasp him with both hands and deal with him, most severely :devil: :yum: :whistle:

Who says its a man !!!

I'd like it if it was, and yes I'd most certainly enjoy grapsping him with both hands and dealing with him.... so long as he squeals.... :yum:
(dreams of grasping gorgeous men and bending them to my will :swoon: )

Foxy

Paul F
14th-June-2006, 10:26 AM
Who says its a man !!!
{lots of naughty things}
Foxy

Im thinking maybe Franck will have to start issuing certificates on some posts due to 'adult' content :really:

:grin:

foxylady
14th-June-2006, 10:39 AM
Im thinking maybe Franck will have to start issuing certificates on some posts due to 'adult' content :really:

:grin:

Its only the way your mind works that makes it naughty :devil: .... (and the way mine works when I write the stuff :wink: )

(I am very naughty hadn't you noticed ?)

CJ
14th-June-2006, 10:40 AM

I hadn't, so you'll need to try harder...:whistle:

Paul F
14th-June-2006, 10:41 AM

On the contrary, I was wondering if you had ever thought about getting your own column in one of 'those' magazines
:rofl:

Graham
15th-June-2006, 02:17 PM
What I want to know now, is how do you know who is the same person - or have they not been clever enough to invent a very different email address.
People who run internet forums usually have several means of identifying user ids which look to be owned by the same person, none of which are 100% effective, so generally they don't like giving out details as it's too helpful to people who are trying to get round the checks. Often it's a combination of different indicators which allow the identity to be matched.

However, in addition to simply analysing the person's posts, and also info available to admins about their non-posting activity (eg rep), all I am prepared to say is that there are other technical resources available beyond the registered email address (in fact most forums, including this one if I recall correctly, will not let you register under the same email as an existing user).