PDA

View Full Version : Your place or mine ? ( What's it like dancing at other venues)

johnthehappyguy
12th-June-2006, 01:24 PM
I read this on Ducasi's blog, and posted it here with his permission:-

....When you compare the Glasgow and Edinburgh parties there is a big difference.

Glasgow has a good venue, good dancers, good music. Edinburgh in my experience has a poor venue (lacks atmosphere), a fair number of poor dancers, and sometimes questionable music.

But Edinburgh is always packed.

Maybe it’s the geography – Edinburgh is East Coast, and nearer Dundee and other hot-spots for dancing… Maybe it’s because that (as far as I can tell) there’s more MJ-style dancing being offered in and around Edinburgh than in Glasgow. Maybe Glasgow’s non-Ceroc dancers are just less-well informed compared to Edinburgh ones…

I was surprised by some of these comments.

I often feel that you can get great dances outwith your own venue, because of you are dancing with people you see less frequently.

Several times I have heard girls from Edinburgh say how much more they like Glasgow dancers.

AND vice versa ! i.e. Glasgow dancers saying they feel Edinburgh dancers are better.

For the record I think there are loads and loads of great dancers in both Glasgow and Edinburgh.:flower: :awe: :love: :wink:

What do you think ?

John:nice:

Andreas
12th-June-2006, 02:00 PM
I do enjoy going to new venues a lot

1. nobody knows me
2. challenge to adjust to a new style
3. different music

I find a do quite a few more different moves at new venues, not difficult ones, just a greater variety of relatively simple ones. No idea why but perhaps because one is 'testing out what works'. Anyway, obviously there are also days when I don't enjoy going to new venues but in general I'd always give it a shot as opposed to saying 'mine is better than yours'. :flower:

ducasi
12th-June-2006, 02:38 PM
Don't get me wrong – I really enjoy my visits to Edinburgh, and my points about the venue and music stand.

But my point about the "poor" dancers I think is poorly expressed (I wasn't trying to make a point about Edinburgh dancers.)

Edinburgh has loads of really fantastic dancers. :flower:

But I tend to have more dances I don't especially enjoy there than in Glasgow. There's doubtless many reasons for this.

For example, I particularly dislike dancing with girls who hurt me by gripping my fingers while dancing. I usually know who to avoid in Glasgow. I don't know the Edinburgh dancers so well, and I seem to end up with sore fingers more often in Edinburgh that in Glasgow.

Without thinking but based on my own experiences, I guess I've assumed there are more "poor" dancers in Edinburgh than in Glasgow, but I'm probably mistaken. (Though based on numbers alone, as the Edinburgh parties are busier there's going to be more of all types of dancer there than in Glasgow.)

In general I like to visit other venues, but as a relatively shy guy, I often find it difficult to ask women I don't know to dance. For this reason, I think I'm always going to enjoy my "home" venues more.

EDIT: My question still stands: why are Edinburgh parties packed out and Glasgow ones much less so?

RoyBoy
12th-June-2006, 02:43 PM
I read this on Ducasi's blog, and posted it here with his permission:-

For the record I think there are loads and loads of great dancers in both Glasgow and Edinburgh.:flower: :awe: :love: :wink:

What do you think ?
:

For the record I think there are Loads and Loads of great dancers in SCOTLAND:worthy:

Scot
12th-June-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by ducasi
"....When you compare the Glasgow and Edinburgh parties there is a big difference.

Glasgow has a good venue, good dancers, good music. Edinburgh in my experience has a poor venue (lacks atmosphere), a fair number of poor dancers, and sometimes questionable music.

But Edinburgh is always packed.

Maybe it’s the geography – Edinburgh is East Coast, and nearer Dundee and other hot-spots for dancing… Maybe it’s because that (as far as I can tell) there’s more MJ-style dancing being offered in and around Edinburgh than in Glasgow. Maybe Glasgow’s non-Ceroc dancers are just less-well informed compared to Edinburgh ones…...."

Maybe it is a matter of personal preference, perhaps everyone's tastes are not as yours are. Disagree entirely with comment on the standard of Dancers in Edinburgh.

Minnie M
12th-June-2006, 02:54 PM
For the record I think there are Loads and Loads of great dancers in SCOTLAND:worthy:
:yeah: :clap: :yeah:

foxylady
12th-June-2006, 03:23 PM

I SO agree with this - I especially like the men, but the women aren't half bad either.... (I am quite taken with Aleks' boob stroke move - sorry wrong thread !:wink:)

ducasi
12th-June-2006, 03:26 PM
Maybe it is a matter of personal preference, perhaps everyone's tastes are not as yours are. Disagree entirely with comment on the standard of Dancers in Edinburgh.
I agree that not everyone has the same tastes as myself.

Hope you read my later comments on Edinburgh dancers.

Frankie_4711
12th-June-2006, 03:33 PM
Can't comment on Scotland, but in general I like going to other venues - it's great to dance with people you know you're going to get decent dance with, but by the same token you can get some lovely surprises with strangers. It's a shame I can't get further afield as I would love to try some other venues more often.

littlewiggle
12th-June-2006, 05:21 PM
Well I'm ventruing a bit further tonight as I fancy a change! Thinking of Cambridge - I hope they will be welcoming for little ole me :wink: as I'm going all on my ownsome!

Minnie M
12th-June-2006, 05:52 PM
I do enjoy going to new venues a lot

1. nobody knows me
2. challenge to adjust to a new style
3. different music

I love it, that's how my list started, in fact not only I have visited most of the venues on my list I have also (from when I had a full time job) all over the UK and been to most of the Ceroc venues.

Being a lone woman, I ring the venue manager before hand to let them know I am coming and they welcome me and introduce me to a couple of people to make me feel extra welcome.....

Then.... the leads assume I am a beginner as they have never seen me before (also I am much older than the average dancer and larger) and it is great to see their faces when I can follow them :clap: :clap: :D and thereafter I get loads of dances :clap:

I just lurve this dancing lark :hug:

Lory
12th-June-2006, 05:56 PM
Edinburgh has loads of really fantastic dancers. :flower:

I hope they're a friendly bunch too :flower:

I'll let you know, after Friday's visit to Route 66 :wink:

Minnie M
12th-June-2006, 05:59 PM
......I'll let you know, after Friday's visit to Route 66 :wink:
I had a fab time on my visit to Route 66, had loads of guys asking me to dance and they were fab dancers too :clap: (the music was pretty good too :whistle: )

littlewiggle
12th-June-2006, 06:05 PM
I like your style Minnie - I'll give it a whirl - will let you know how it goes!

MartinHarper
12th-June-2006, 10:01 PM
I often feel that you can get great dances outwith your own venue, because of you are dancing with people you see less frequently.

I've danced with most of the folks at my home venue often enough that I have an idea about how to have a good dance with them (and vica versa). Outside that comfort zone, I'm more likely to have a dissappointing dance where we don't gel very well. On the other hand, dancing outwith my home venue means less predictable dances, so there's a better potential for something special.

littlewiggle
13th-June-2006, 12:07 AM
Well - just back from my first time at Cambridge and I say :sad: :sad: :sad: won't be bothering again:

1. They have never heard of air conditioning
2. My arm has parted company with my shoulder due to death grip dancing
3. Dance floor the size of a postage stamp (slight exaggeration only!)
4. Nightmare to park

So it's hit the road again time.........

Almost an Angel
13th-June-2006, 09:35 AM
Well - just back from my first time at Cambridge and I say :sad: :sad: :sad: won't be bothering again:

4. Nightmare to park

Yes sorry LW could have told you most of that - although I was given hints about where to park - haven't got round to posting my reviews yet - been a bit busy you know that work stuff!!!

I'm up in the Huntingdon area regularly with work and I'm trying out some new venues as I'm missing my regular classes
It's kinda nice to be incognito - as Minne said - although it normally doesn't last long as they normally work out I'm not a beginner after about 30 secs after asking me to dance - funny that!! :devil:
Actually maybe it's the leading the intermediate class that gives me away :rolleyes:
Angel xx

Freya
13th-June-2006, 09:55 AM
Actually maybe it's the leading the intermediate class that gives me away :rolleyes:
Angel xx
:yeah: that would be my first clue!!!!

I have to admit I love dancing away from home home although not been to any classes just party nights! In fact just come back from the Glasgow monthly - My First one!

I think that although I know a few of the Dancers the attraction is that I don't get to dance with them very often and they are Fantastic dancers and so much fun. Also there will be dancers that I haven't had the chance to dance with yet as the Trip to Aberdeen is rather a long one.

Another part of it is Anonymity. Although I'll have a few friends and people I know - It is scotland after all! Their the type that are hardly off the dance floor so sometimes especially at the beggining of the night I'll be left sitting on my own for a bit before I gather the nerves to ask someone new. At this stage there are no expectations about my dance skills. So there's no pressure!

littlewiggle
13th-June-2006, 12:05 PM
So maybe Wellingborough on Wednesday! Hopefully it'll be good!

TA Guy
13th-June-2006, 12:34 PM
I love dancing at other venues, I wish I had more time to do so. At venues I've never been to, I don't particularly care about the standard, or how often they get up and dance, or how friendly they are (at least, I've never been to a dance venue where they were sooooo unfriendly it made a difference to me, I suppose one day some disgruntled dancers might chase me with the tar and feathers, but it hasn't happened yet. :))
Of course, once I've been there and tried it, some kind of criteria based decision has to be made about where to go, but.... new venues, love 'em.

Having a good time at somewhere like Ceroc is 90% internal anyway.

Almost an Angel
13th-June-2006, 01:32 PM
So maybe Wellingborough on Wednesday! Hopefully it'll be good!

Not tried that one yet - let me know how it goes - not travelling this week but will be back up there w/c 26 June. Holiday in turkey here I come!

Angel xx

Gus
13th-June-2006, 01:40 PM
For the record I think there are Loads and Loads of great dancers in SCOTLAND:worthy:Yup ... but we've managed to capture two of the best and we ain't going to let them back (RoyBoy :respect: and Laura :drool: :drool: :awe: :flower: etc.)

robd
13th-June-2006, 02:53 PM

4. Nightmare to park

I was there last night too and I think I know who you are (and you I). No point me trying to defend most of the above as they have long been acknowledged as weaknesses of Cambridge Ceroc. Expecting aircon is a bit much I guess in what is really a Uni Sports and Social club and last night's temperatures were exceptional - even I changed my top which is unheard of at a standard night. I suspect not too much effort is put into finding alternative venues either due to cost (possibly the reason we never get a freestyle here either) or the fact that even with the problems you list the numbers through the door (on both Mon & Weds) tend to be good so where's the incentive?

Sorry we didn't get to dance - I had quite a lot of dances with one lady who is having an op next week which will see her out of action for 6 months so I wanted to get my fix before she goes but it did take me out of circulation for a lot of the night. Given how far you seem to be willing to travel I am sure it will not be long before I see you again.

Robert

WittyBird
13th-June-2006, 03:00 PM
I had quite a lot of dances with one lady who is having an op next week which will see her out of action

WOW you had the same dream I did :flower: Thanks for those dances they were magical :D

robd
13th-June-2006, 03:57 PM
WOW you had the same dream I did :flower: Thanks for those dances they were magical :D

Thank you.

You were strangely...taller...than I recall last night :flower:

WittyBird
13th-June-2006, 03:59 PM
You were strangely...taller...than I recall last night :flower:

It's not difficult is it :rofl: but at least you didn't ask me to stand up whilst dancing with you :clap:

stewart38
13th-June-2006, 04:31 PM
Danced at 3 totally new northern venues now in last 2 weeks.

They tend to be more friendly north of Watford, we are talking here North of Leeds !!

Pint of lemonade and lime at workings mens club was £1 :grin:

The owner of one even apologised to me as it was a new venue (12 weeks +) that she may feel I was ‘under whelm’. On the contrary her and every ones friendly attitude made this a great dance night .On a Saturday with 40 people with 30 in the beginners category it was great.

Refreshing to see no posers/hotshots or people up their own arses and where women still lead with enthusiasm !! No refusal row in sight ! :grin:

WittyBird
13th-June-2006, 04:35 PM
Refreshing to see no posers/hotshots or people up their own arses and where women still lead with enthusiasm !! No refusal row in sight ! :grin:

Great that you had a good weekend :D But what are you saying about people South of Leeds?

Please explain what you mean above, as I am deeply hurt and upset that you can call venues you frequent on a regular basis :rolleyes:

stewart38
13th-June-2006, 05:07 PM
Please explain what you mean above, as I am deeply hurt and upset that you can call venues you frequent on a regular basis :rolleyes:

you can call what ??

:sick:

I don’t think personally I could enjoy myself down south if I turned up on a Saturday and found 30 beginners and 10 other dancers

Why ?

£3 per pint
No one down south on the door has ever gone out of there way to be ‘friendly’ whether im known or not and has ever danced with me
No male has ever said loved watching you dance, I aint a stalker
No women has ever asked for a soda and lime I though they meant cider and lime and still drank it !
Never seen an old boy 70+ down south so pissed he could hardly stand but still I hear a gentlemen to dance with

I’m sort of making broad totally irrelevant generalisations that have no bearing what’s so ever on reality or people who may take offence for what ever reason they perceive themselves to be the centre of my universe

When I first went to Ashton’s I was new but treated with total indifference so was my new friend at the time . Love the place

Were harder down South

SteveK
13th-June-2006, 05:16 PM
I don’t think personally I could enjoy myself down south if I turned up on a Saturday and found 30 beginners and 10 other dancers......

I’m sort of making broad totally irrelevant generalisations that have no bearing what’s so ever on reality or people who may take offence for what ever reason they perceive themselves to be the centre of my universe

When I first went to Ashton’s I was new but treated with total indifference so was my new friend at the time . Love the place

I've experience of both Inverness and Watford - both were really friendly. I've found that some of the larger London venues aren't quite so welcoming - but that's likely to be a function of size. Do others agree that larger isn't always friendlier? But then again larger = more fun friendly people to dance with???

littlewiggle
13th-June-2006, 07:08 PM
Angel...you're off to Turkey...I love it - it's one of my fave places!:nice: Whereabouts are you going?

Heather
14th-June-2006, 04:21 PM

:yeah: :yeah:

Personally, I quite like the Edinburgh parties, and I would certainly agree with Scot's comment on the standard of Edinburgh dancers.
( Although they're not quite up to the standard of the DUNDEE ones :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: - only joking Scot !!!:wink: )

:hug:
Heather
xx

fletch
14th-June-2006, 04:28 PM
As most of you know i'm a bit of a gippo and like dancing all over, and before Witty says anything that's Gippo not Pykie. lol:na:

I think its your attitude to life people and the universe that makes the difference, not the location.

But I haven't been to Scotland yet:rolleyes: :wink:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

straycat
14th-June-2006, 04:30 PM
Danced at 3 totally new northern venues now in last 2 weeks.

They tend to be more friendly north of Watford, we are talking here North of Leeds !!

Can you tell me where said venues are?

Could use some more northern venue recommendations.

fletch
14th-June-2006, 04:52 PM

I could use some more, I haven't been to brighouse but it is on my list:flower:

Trousers
14th-June-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm a dance gypsy too - when I started Jive (and only knew of Ceroc and RebelRoc) I got hold of the Ceroc venue list which covered the whole country then and I used to tick them off as I visited somewhere new - Yup I'm sad. I saw it as my mission.

But as I've always been one for the more noticable leg attire when I walk into a venue I get a whole range of different responses - especially if they are all lined up facing the door nice and quiet and then my trousers walk in with me right behind.
The worst venue from that point of veiw was in Newcastle and I thought I was going to get lynched and that was the girls.

But I like going somewhere like that and the locals look down their noses at you for a bit then decide you can dance and that they ought to have a go. I quite often only ask for about 3 dances if I go to a totally new venue the rest of the time I'm asked which is always nice.

:blush:

littlewiggle
14th-June-2006, 06:07 PM
So trousers have you tried Wellingborough then? If so, what was the verdict?

Trousers
14th-June-2006, 06:41 PM
Have done

Don't like the DJ's style - Hacks the ends of tracks and merges them together. eeuueerrggghhhhhhh

Thats enough to keep me away

I do sometimes do freestyles there but there are better places - imho

Freya
14th-June-2006, 08:48 PM
But I haven't been to Scotland yet:rolleyes: :wink:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Looking Forward to seeing you on Sunday! :wink:

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 12:22 PM
Have done

Don't like the DJ's style - Hacks the ends of tracks and merges them together. eeuueerrggghhhhhhh

Thats enough to keep me away

I do sometimes do freestyles there but there are better places - imho

Well I can't say that I noticed that at Wellingborough last night!

I have to say they were a really friendly bunch- in fact they were very kissy kissy considering I was a stranger! :grin: I certainly made an entrance and skidded a few feet across the dance floor in full view of everyone:blush: Of course I finished this latest dance maneovre with a curtsey....it was all intentional I assure you!

Wednesday is apparently more of a beginners haunt and there were only about 30 people there. I did have some good dances - so thanks to Alan, Rodney and Mad Mick! OOOOhhh not forgetting ....damn what was his name....? I know not! Tall slim guy - curly hair - you know who you are ....I wore you out apparently!

Wellingborough didn't shake my world but it was not at all bad!

Piglet
15th-June-2006, 12:29 PM
I like Aberdeen venues - Tuesday I love cos Trampy's usually there, Wednesday's I really enjoy Curtains music, Thursday's I usually enjoy because there's more space, but sometimes it can be too quiet.

My favourite venue is Stirling because so far I love dancing with all the guys that go there - can't say the same about anywhere else at the moment (also Tiggerbabe plays totally different stuff a lot of the time and its nice hearing something different). The scariest thing about dancing in different towns is that its difficult to work out who the bouncers and yankers are until you get them.

How do other people deal with this problem? Should I take the bull by the horns and say to guys what I don't like about their dancing or are there any strategies that I can use to make them change their technique?

Freya
15th-June-2006, 12:35 PM
I like Aberdeen venues - Tuesday I love cos Trampy's usually there, Wednesday's I really enjoy Curtains music, Thursday's I usually enjoy because there's more space, but sometimes it can be too quiet.
:yeah: Adrian has been playing on a wednesday instead of Curtains. Is he on holiday or stopped DJing?

My favourite venue is Stirling because so far I love dancing with all the guys that go there - can't say the same about anywhere else at the moment (also Tiggerbabe plays totally different stuff a lot of the time and its nice hearing something different). Haven't been to Stirling yet! Maybe make the Next Stirling Tea Dance! But agree that I love going to venues where Sheena is playing. And she's playing on Sunday: Clap::clap:

Piglet
15th-June-2006, 12:37 PM
Freya you are welcome to join me and Douglas for a jaunt down - we're definitely doing the next one :D

Freya
15th-June-2006, 12:39 PM
Freya you are welcome to join me and Douglas for a jaunt down - we're definitely doing the next one :D
Ooooh sounds Good. Might do that!

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 12:40 PM

My favourite venue is Stirling because so far I love dancing with all the guys that go there - can't say the same about anywhere else at the moment (also Tiggerbabe plays totally different stuff a lot of the time and its nice hearing something different). The scariest thing about dancing in different towns is that its difficult to work out who the bouncers and yankers are until you get them.

How do other people deal with this problem? Should I take the bull by the horns and say to guys what I don't like about their dancing or are there any strategies that I can use to make them change their technique?

Hmmm this is a difficult one. I think it is really difficult to criticise other dancers without hurting their feelings and dealing them a huge blow to their confidence. I remember when I first started to dance I was a bit bouncy but learnt gradually from dancing with better partners to calm this down! Nobody ever said anything to me - It was just a natural learning curve.

I may make an odd joke about a 'death grip' but wouldn't openly criticise for fear of the 'who do you think you are' syndrome!

Piglet
15th-June-2006, 12:51 PM
I remember when I first started to dance I was a bit bouncy
Yep me too - but instead of bit, insert very :na:
Bouncy isn't too bad - except when it is very very bouncy though - It's more really the rough dancers I don't enjoy - rough in bounce or rough in pulling me around. Is it up to me to give more tension back to try and compensate? Any tips would be grateful.

I think I shall start a new thread....

Tiggerbabe
15th-June-2006, 01:07 PM
Adrian has been playing on a wednesday instead of Curtains. Is he on holiday or stopped DJing?

Last week the guys swapped nights due to unforseen circumstances and last night DJ Curtain was off at some football tournament or something :wink: he'll be back at JJs on Wednesday 21st. Adrian will be dj-ing tonight. :D

Freya
15th-June-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanx Tiggerbabe!

Just being nosey as usual! :wink:

Yogi_Bear
15th-June-2006, 09:09 PM

I have to say they were a really friendly bunch- in fact they were very kissy kissy considering I was a stranger! :grin: I certainly made an entrance and skidded a few feet across the dance floor in full view of everyone:blush: Of course I finished this latest dance maneovre with a curtsey....it was all intentional I assure you!

Wednesday is apparently more of a beginners haunt and there were only about 30 people there. I did have some good dances - so thanks to Alan, Rodney and Mad Mick! OOOOhhh not forgetting ....damn what was his name....? I know not! Tall slim guy - curly hair - you know who you are ....I wore you out apparently!

Wellingborough didn't shake my world but it was not at all bad!

Well, as something of a dance nomad who turns out very occasionally and if possible never at the same venue more than once or twice a year...if you are making forays into Ceroc Central territory there are others on the Forum better qualified than me to advise you - but I would recommend the weekend dances at Bedford and Daventry. I have also heard good things recently about Kettering.

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 09:33 PM
Well I may well try Northampton this Saturday too! I do hope it's not cliquey!

Trousers
15th-June-2006, 09:50 PM
Ah Northampton and Cliquey

hmmmmm

There is a big group there that are Emmas troupe and they do very much act cliquey and some of them do the old looking down their noses routine when you ask them to dance.

But then it's a big venue (by midland standards) and there are some very nice dancers not in the troupe.

If this seems harsh - tough.

The whole Clique thing is perception and thats the perception they give me.

LW sometimes the floor is crap - its a bar in a rugby club so backup shoes are sensible.

Yogi_Bear
15th-June-2006, 09:53 PM
Of course you could always come to Norwich on Saturday instead for the Ceroc Anglia dance at the (sumptuous) Assembly House :nice:
http://www.cerocanglia.co.uk/news.html

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 09:57 PM
Of course you could always come to Norwich on Saturday instead for the Ceroc Anglia dance at the (sumptuous) Assembly House :nice:
http://www.cerocanglia.co.uk/news.html

Hmmm LW thinks carefully ans calculates miles! A new venue..could be:yum: an adventure

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 10:26 PM
Hmmm LW thinks carefully ans calculates miles! A new venue..could be:yum: an adventure

No sadly it's too far - 95 miles away. It's not so bad driving down but after dancing all night, I shall be asleep at the wheel! Do TRY and have a good time without me though :flower:

stewart38
15th-June-2006, 10:45 PM
Can you tell me where said venues are?

Brighouse was one ,ill find out the others

Yogi_Bear
15th-June-2006, 11:53 PM
No sadly it's too far - 95 miles away. It's not so bad driving down but after dancing all night, I shall be asleep at the wheel! Do TRY and have a good time without me though :flower:
Thanks, I will try. Not an all nighter though....11.30 finish (well, this is Norfolk, we need our sleep).....:nice:

Yogi_Bear
15th-June-2006, 11:55 PM
Brighouse was one ,ill find out the others
Brighouse? Went once - dodgy area, not enough good dancers, average music....maybe it was an off night...

straycat
16th-June-2006, 12:11 AM
The whole Clique thing is perception and thats the perception they give me.

Been to Northampton once, and got exactly the same impression. Still had some good dances, and the music was OK (nothing special, but OK)

Talking of music, about a couple of weeks ago, we went to Keith & Janey's venue in Knutsford - and wow. Fantastic music, so so friendly - and everyone seemed to be having a great time, which made all the dancing so much better. Some lovely dancers there too.

bigdjiver
16th-June-2006, 02:11 AM

Wellingborough didn't shake my world but it was not at all bad!Wellingborough opened on Wednesday after Wicksteed (Kettering was withdrawn as a venue with nearly zero notice by their new management. Not only did many transfer, but the night flourished. The new management leaned, and Wicksteed became available again, and opened Thursday. Wednesday at Wellingborough took a big hit as many moved back, and it still has not recovered. I have a great time when I go to Wellingborough on a Monday.

Lou
16th-June-2006, 08:27 AM
As a dance nomad, I'd say that the standard of dancers is pretty much of a muchness where ever you are in the country. I suspect every venue has its share of good, average, poor, yankers, hotshots, etc...

What I do find, though, is that it's hard dancing every dance with unfamiliar partners. I have to concentrate so much to follow properly. Although, I'd like to say thanks to all the Glasgow forumites who have really made me feel so welcome up here, as you lot are definitely far easier to dance with! :D I'm not sure whether it's because I feel more comfortable dancing with people I know, or whether it's because you're the best dancers up here!

I do miss the freedom & comfort of dancing with partners that I know well, though....

(and why are there so few tall men dancing in Scotland?)

Freya
16th-June-2006, 08:33 AM
(and why are there so few tall men dancing in Scotland?)
I don't know :sad: I really do wish there were more!! There are some though!!!

robd
17th-June-2006, 02:58 PM
I have also heard good things recently about Kettering.

I only went twice :wink:

robd
17th-June-2006, 03:08 PM

Can't make Northampton myself :tears: and have only been once before but didn't find it cliquey (Come to that I almost didn't find it all but that's another story !). Then again, because I knew a few people there perhaps I would have been seen as within the clique. As for Emma's Troupe (or at least those that I know) I wouldn't class the majority of them as cliquey but then cliqueyness (?) is in the eye of the accuser.

I hope those that do go there have a good time.

Robert

littlewiggle
18th-June-2006, 04:25 PM
Yes tried Northampton now! Isn't it amazing how sometimes your best dances are with the people you'd least expect them to be with? I had a wonderful dance with two guys in particular who had such a lovely manner - I hardly felt like I was being led at all. "We moved as one!" :nice:

littlewiggle
19th-June-2006, 08:38 PM
Has anyone tried 'Want to Dance' at Melton Mowbray? I was thinking of trying it tomorrow:grin:

Yogi_Bear
19th-June-2006, 08:43 PM
Has anyone tried 'Want to Dance' at Melton Mowbray? I was thinking of trying it tomorrow:grin:
It's quite a new venue....don't know. Could be worth a try if there's nothing more promising within similar drive distance and you need a dance fix..

Piglet
19th-June-2006, 08:52 PM
Sunday nights in Aberdeen are a definite thumbs up! :clap:

Freya
19th-June-2006, 10:10 PM
Sunday nights in Aberdeen are a definite thumbs up! :clap:
:yeah Couldn't Agree More!!!!

Had the Best time Last night! Sometimes there's Just:

"No Place Like Home!!"

littlewiggle
20th-June-2006, 11:39 PM
Tried Melton Mowbray tonight - shame on you men ...football V dancing! obviously football won!

spindr
21st-June-2006, 12:09 AM
shame on you men ...football V dancing! obviously football won!
Nah, patriotism :)
SpinDr

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
21st-June-2006, 12:20 AM
I have never danced away from Glasgow. Work and no car make for a bad combination :tears: Maybe next time there is a freestyle or class on a sunday someone would like to take me in their car? :innocent:

Piglet
21st-June-2006, 07:07 AM
Maybe next time ... someone would like to take me in their car? :innocent:
There's a new chat up line :rofl: Wouldn't you rather be dancing?:D

Lory
21st-June-2006, 08:03 AM
I hope they're a friendly bunch too :flower:

I'll let you know, after Friday's visit to Route 66 :wink:
They didn't let me down, it was a lovely friendly venue ;) and I was made to very welcome.. And DD, don't think I didn't notice you threw in a few tracks especially for me :wink: cheers hun :cheers: :hug:

littlewiggle
28th-June-2006, 09:13 PM
Off to West Bridgford tomorrow - if I can find it! Anyone recommend it? I have heard there are some super male leads................what more can a girl ask for?:grin:

Almost an Angel
28th-June-2006, 09:31 PM
Off to West Bridgford tomorrow - if I can find it! Anyone recommend it? I have heard there are some super male leads................what more can a girl ask for?:grin:

Super female leads!!!! :D

littlewiggle
28th-June-2006, 09:35 PM
Super female leads!!!! :D

Well yes this is true...but let's remember I am still on my quest for a dance partner:wink:

Yogi_Bear
30th-June-2006, 08:32 AM
I wonder how you got on at WB?
I used to live in West Bridgford some years ago but have only managed a couple of visits there since moving elsewhere. I last went a few weeks ago, and found that Marc and Rachel were there as guest teachers. I've found it to be a friendly and intimate venue, hard to judge the standard of leaders and followers from my brief visit though.

robd
30th-June-2006, 01:22 PM
Went to Bedford last night - I probably should put this in the feedback on club nights thread but anyway - and it had some resonance with this thread. I have been before a couple of times (and of course see some of the more regular visitors there at the freestyles) but there were still some aspects that struck me as different. I seemed to have lots of followers not wanting to remove their left hand from my shoulder if I tried to do a turn out from a first move using my RH on the back rather than turning them back in, etc. Not a huge problem but happened enough for me to notice it as different from other places I attend and possibly attributable to the teaching style there. On that topic I hadn't known that the teacher on the night was a teacher (had seen her demoing before) but I thought she did an excellent job. Very clear instruction, delivered confidently. Got to meet BigD which was nice and had some good dances (and some not so great ones but that's life - and as much my fault as theirs). Also got asked if I 'was getting loads' :really: and if I had a hairy back :what: but that's probably for another thread.

Shame about the idiot with no control flinging the women into drops - a pair of stilletto heels came whizzing at head height way, way too close to my partner and I for comfort. :mad:

Jivingdan
30th-June-2006, 03:48 PM
I wonder how you got on at WB?
I used to live in West Bridgford some years ago but have only managed a couple of visits there since moving elsewhere. I last went a few weeks ago, and found that Marc and Rachel were there as guest teachers. I've found it to be a friendly and intimate venue, hard to judge the standard of leaders and followers from my brief visit though.

I used to dance at WB regularly. A few good men. It is a small venue and this can be a bit of a problem.
I would be interested in your comments too.
Where abouts in the east midlands are you littlewiggle? Have we met?

littlewiggle
30th-June-2006, 05:24 PM
I used to dance at WB regularly. A few good men. It is a small venue and this can be a bit of a problem.
I would be interested in your comments too.
Where abouts in the east midlands are you littlewiggle? Have we met?

Yes Hi Dan - we have danced together - in fact we danced at Bulwell on Saturday night. I'm the one who wanted you for DWAS at Ceroc Champs :grin: - that probably doesn't help 'cos I bet you had a few say that to you!

LW x

Jivingdan
30th-June-2006, 05:32 PM
Yes Hi Dan - we have danced together - in fact we danced at Bulwell on Saturday night. I'm the one who wanted you for DWAS at Ceroc Champs :grin: - that probably doesn't help 'cos I bet you had a few say that to you!

LW x
Your right there were one or two. how about a description or better still post us a pic.:grin:

littlewiggle
30th-June-2006, 05:36 PM
Your right there were one or two. how about a description or better still post us a pic.:grin:

Well - I will have to get pic sorted - only one on my PC is from Ceroc Champs and I can't get that to work - it's not in the right format. I'm the petite, blue-eyed brunette who was wearing the black & red bustier type top and black floaty skirt at Bulwell - actually you are a man so that undoubtedly means nothing!

Jivingdan
30th-June-2006, 05:41 PM
Well - I will have to get pic sorted - only one on my PC is from Ceroc Champs and I can't get that to work - it's not in the right format. I'm the petite, blue-eyed brunette who was wearing the black & red bustier type top and black floaty skirt at Bulwell - actually you are a man so that undoubtedly means nothing!
How wrong you are. i am a very rare beast. A man who notices womens clothing. You looked fab and I now know who you are.:wink:

littlewiggle
30th-June-2006, 05:43 PM
How wrong you are. i am a very rare beast. A man who notices womens clothing. You looked fab and I now know who you are.:wink:

Why thank you ........:wink: You can ask me to dance more now then, can't you .........:whistle:

Jivingdan
30th-June-2006, 05:45 PM
I am sorry if i dont ask you enough. i dont normally get the luxury of asking. I am usually asked. So i am a very lucky man. So ask me more. It is very unusual for me to turn down a dance.

littlewiggle
30th-June-2006, 06:52 PM
Ok what a nice problem to have! I'll try and catch you before you are whisked off again from under my nose..........we're back to that predatory women thread! Maybe I'll catch you at St Neots on Tuesday but I'll have to be fast by the sound of it!

Tiggerbabe
2nd-July-2006, 04:18 PM
We had a visitor to the Inverness class on Thursday night. John, who usually dances in Greenwich. He didn't give me his last name, but said you'd all know him as he's the oldest guy there :wink:

Shame he hadn't realised we were having a party on Saturday and had already booked a trip to Orkney :(

Almost an Angel
3rd-July-2006, 11:20 AM
Maybe I'll catch you at St Neots on Tuesday

I'll be there too - I'm plannign on catching up with LW

Yes this Angel is back from holiday and (unfortunately) firmly back in work which means working away from home. :tears: On the plus side it does mean I get to try out new venues and have the chance to be wicked elsewhere.... not that I would do that of course as I'm an angel ....... well almost!!!

littlewiggle
3rd-July-2006, 07:42 PM
Yayyy :clap: See you there - I'm in the middle of decorating my stairs - I ache everywhere! Hopefully I'll be able to move enough to dance tomorrow!

littlewiggle
16th-July-2006, 04:37 PM
So has anyone tried Blitz Beeston freestyle or Dance-D-Beat Derby??- really not sure whether to bother with the Derby one - I have heard not many people turn up. I'm not really surprised as I have previously emailed and left voicemail mesage for the organiser and he has never bothered to respond. Anyone any thoughts on either of these venues?

Dazzler
24th-July-2006, 08:45 PM
Just a quick word..i am new to ceroc but have already been to 5 venues in addition to my weekly class in inverness.....i have to say that every venue i attend i find a healthy mix of different styles...i really cant say any are better than others i thoroughly enjoy them all!

Its so nice to see how people are doing it across the country and i have to say that everyone is really nice!..

Big thanks to all those women who have given me the pleasure of leading them through a dance :grin:

cms
24th-July-2006, 09:51 PM
Big thanks to all those women who have given me the pleasure of leading them through a dance :grin:

the pleasures all ours! :flower:

glad ur enjoying the differences! i agree - a lot of the fun is dancing with different people and in addition, music varies from venue to venue which also influences the style and the experience. on the whole its great to try different venues but there'll always be places that become like 'home' - whether thats due to the people, place, music, night of week - who knows!

keep enjoying it!

C xx

littlewiggle
30th-July-2006, 03:24 PM
Anyone tried Pulse Beeston on a Sunday evening?

Yogi_Bear
31st-July-2006, 08:02 AM
Anyone tried Pulse Beeston on a Sunday evening?
No but reportedly only 15-20 or so punters. Once a month they hold a free mini-workshop, best to get yourself on the mailing list though....