PDA

View Full Version : Running after a (dance) partner

robd
11th-June-2006, 07:19 PM
Inspired after Southport by the sight of (some) women sprinting after (some) men - and I am sure the same happened in reverse - I wondered:

Do you ever run across the dancefloor to ensure you 'get' a dance partner?

Beowulf
11th-June-2006, 08:01 PM
I had best qualify my reasons for voting "No but I do run across the floor to get away from certain people " I'm not used to dancing just yet.. In the pits of my body I have a wee aberdonian spaceship engineer saying "Ye canna make him dance any mair captain.. the engines will ne tak it!" so If I'm feeling a bit puffed and I see someone heading my way rather than turn them down which I know is percieved as being rude I'll decide it's a good time for a loo break.. or to visit the bar ;)

Lynn
11th-June-2006, 08:23 PM
Inspired after Southport by the sight of (some) women sprinting after (some) men - and I am sure the same happened in reverse - I wondered:

Do you ever run across the dancefloor to ensure you 'get' a dance partner?I didn't sprint. It was a dignified fast walk, but yes I did at Southport (yes this is the person normally too shy to ask guys to dance). In fact now I think about it I did the same thing for the same reason (and same person!) in Scarborough.

Reason - someone who is on the floor a lot, who I know won't say no and - here's the bit that makes me go get'em - they can dance tango and a tango track is on - I'll go for it!

Unfortunately this was on the Fri night when I was still in the phase of having problems trying to follow tango and breathe at the same time.:blush:

Cruella
11th-June-2006, 10:06 PM
I wish this was a public poll :whistle:

Graham
11th-June-2006, 10:32 PM
I usually restrain myself to a brisk walk, but invariably fail to reach the target in time. :tears:

The biggest embarrassment is that if there isn't a suitable alternative nearby you end up walking all round the floor and back to your starting position, wondering how many of the people you ignored on your quest have noticed......

fletch
11th-June-2006, 10:50 PM
I usually restrain myself to a brisk walk, but invariably fail to reach the target in time. :tears:

The biggest embarrassment is that if there isn't a suitable alternative nearby you end up walking all round the floor and back to your starting position, wondering how many of the people you ignored on your quest have noticed......

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is true :yeah:

LMC
12th-June-2006, 09:09 AM
Yep. My dance-floor dash has been commented upon before: the amount of ground I can cover in the 2 seconds between tracks is quite a lot.

However, I only 'race' for someone if I haven't danced with them already that evening and am at least 99.8% sure that they would be happy to dance with me. It isn't always the better leads either, it could just be someone I have fun dancing with :nice:

And :yeah: to what Graham said :blush:

Minnie M
12th-June-2006, 09:51 PM
The most embarassing 'dash' is when the person behind you has already been asked by the person you are running to :blush: :tears:

MartinHarper
12th-June-2006, 10:33 PM
I think it's the sort of stunt that you might get away with once a month or so, but not something to make a habit of.

drathzel
12th-June-2006, 11:43 PM
The most embarassing 'dash' is when the person behind you has already been asked by the person you are running to :blush: :tears:
:yeah: or when a person is looking at you (or so you think) and its the person behind you:tears:

Minnie M
13th-June-2006, 06:42 PM
:yeah: or when a person is looking at you (or so you think) and its the person behind you:tears:
:yeah: :blush: :tears: yep been there :tears:

Lory
13th-June-2006, 07:14 PM
I wonder what proportion of men and women ticked each option? :rolleyes:

robd
14th-June-2006, 10:09 AM
I wish this was a public poll :whistle:

I wonder what proportion of men and women ticked each option? :rolleyes:

Very deliberately NOT a public poll though I agree it would be interesting to see the proportion of men and women. Given the usual imbalance of numbers of men to women at most events I daresay the women need to do more of the running to get the partner they want.

Paul F
14th-June-2006, 10:31 AM

:yeah:

A couple of times at S'port I performed a rather embarrassing semi-running walk to go and ask ladies to dance only to be beaten to it.
The problem is that you can smile and say "catch you later" but, depending on the event, you may never get around to it :sad:

Lynn
14th-June-2006, 10:51 AM
The problem is that you can smile and say "catch you later" but, depending on the event, you may never get around to it :sad:This happened to me this time at Southport. Even 'didn't see you last night' discussions with people and discovered we had been dancing in the same rooms but just hadn't seen each other. In those situations yes, a rush across the dance floor would be in order.

But I don't use the 'run after a dance partner' very often because they may have already made eye contact and be heading towards someone and me rushing up can ruin that. I've had occasions where a guy has clearly been coming to ask me but has been intercepted several feet away.

So I would usually do the 'lets agree to dance look' before heading towards someone.

Lory
14th-June-2006, 11:18 AM
I used to make a kind of mental tick list of all the men I'd spotted in the room that I wanted to dance with by the end of the evening :blush: but when it came to about half an hour before the end and my 'list' was not completed, I used to get frustrated and spend far too much time being preoccupied with the task i'd set myself.. often missing out on other dances completely, trying to search for 'said victims' :rolleyes:

Now i've become far more laid back about the whole thing ;) I know now, I only get real pleasure, from dancing with men who i'm sure want to dance with me too. :cheers: :clap: So now I usually just rely on making eye contact and smiling :na: and if I see from their expression, they're definitely up for a dance, then fantastic,:clap: if not, I'm not running after them.:cool:

As the song says, 'love the one your with' :wink:

It's actually been quite an eye opener, sadly, I've realised there are some men, i'll probably never dance with again! :(

(in saying that, someone 'asked me' last Friday, that i'd long since given up even trying to make eye contact with :confused: )

Note: I'm not talking about people I don't know here, i'll always make that extra effort to ask a stranger or people i've never actually danced with before :)

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2006, 11:33 AM
Very deliberately NOT a public poll though I agree it would be interesting to see the proportion of men and women. Given the usual imbalance of numbers of men to women at most events I daresay the women need to do more of the running to get the partner they want.

Yes I think we do.

I tend to become motivated to trot or canter towards a prospective partner only after I have heard the intro to the next song. The first two bars are usually enough for me to know exactly who would be perfect for that track. It very rarely pays off. Given the twice as many women as men situation we often find ourselves in these days, this is a really stupid way of operating. People have either stayed together or swapped partners before the next track has begun.

Without the music to inspire me I would rarely feel bothered enough to rush after anyone.

There are some notable exceptions...As Lynn says it would have to be a popular guy that I just won't get to dance with unless I make the effort. I have in the past made 5 brisk walk approaches on a very popular person, and failed every time. At that point I give up :tears: . Running just ups the ante in a bad way IMO.

IMO there are regional variations - for example some CerocCentral venues seem to have a few women who run quite fast.

robd
14th-June-2006, 11:46 AM
I have in the past made 5 brisk walk approaches on a very popular person

When does a brisk walk become a run?

Lory
14th-June-2006, 11:52 AM
Given the usual imbalance of numbers of men to women at most events I daresay the women need to do more of the running to get the partner they want.
So, do the men always get the partner they want running after them?:whistle:

Lory
14th-June-2006, 11:53 AM
IMO there are regional variations - for example some CerocCentral venues seem to have a few women who run quite fast.
Which region has the fastest runners? :rofl:

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2006, 11:55 AM
When does a brisk walk become a run?

Where's Ducasi??? :confused:

I found this definition:

run (rŭn) pronunciation

v., ran (răn), run, run·ning, runs.

v.intr.

1. To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.
2. To move at a fast gallop. Used of a horse (or zebra :devil: ).

..../snip

ZW

robd
14th-June-2006, 12:01 PM
Which region has the fastest runners? :rofl:

Check http://www.homeworkspot.com/ask/fastestanimals.htm for some bad news for ZW and Di-yena. The gray fox is apparently 2 mph faster than either of them though he could be suffering some temporary post-op slowdown :wink:

Can't wait to dance with 'Mongolian Wild Ass Woman' though.

Lory
14th-June-2006, 12:10 PM
Check http://www.homeworkspot.com/ask/fastestanimals.htm for some bad news for ZW and Di-yena. The gray fox is apparently 2 mph faster than either of them though he could be suffering some temporary post-op slowdown :wink:

:rofl: :worthy:
The squirrels of Formby aren't too fast, only 12mph :D

Don't worry ZW, you can catch up with the Black Mamba snake :yum: , your twice as fast :wink:

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2006, 12:15 PM

:rofl: :rofl: Great list.

Hah! Moral of that story - never chase the gray fox.

Instead - set a trap. :devil:

On the plus side though Rob Di-yenas and zebras are both way faster than mere humans :clap: .

Your list has just reminded me of the funniest dancefloor compliment I have ever had. I started a dance with a great guy at Southport just gone, the music was perfect and it was quite an intense dance. He suddenly growled, his lead went all peculiar then he burst out 'Oh dear, I think you have just brought out my inner warthog!!'. I think it was a complimennt...Oh how we laughed.

Mongolian Wild Ass Woman - Hmmm perfect name for my Forum plant :devil:

Oops it's secret

ZW

killingtime
14th-June-2006, 12:20 PM
I love running up to dance partners. On fast floors you can slide the end of it (hopefully) stopping to arrive at a stop just before your partner. It's fun and, I think, a lot of women like to be asked that way. It shows enthusiasm :D.

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2006, 12:35 PM
:rofl: :worthy:
The squirrels of Formby are too fast, only 12mph :D

Don't worry ZW, you can catch up with the Black Mamba snake :yum: , your twice as fast :wink:

Why waste time on squirels when you can have the Black Mamba snake?

I'd want a nice loooooong track for that dance.

I love running up to dance partners. On fast floors you can slide the end of it (hopefully) stopping to arrive at a stop just before your partner. It's fun and, I think, a lot of women like to be asked that way. It shows enthusiasm .

Yes we love enthusiasm :clap: . IMO there is no better way to start a dance than a man running the whole length of the dance floor just to get to me. Very rare, but I consider it a massive compliment.

ZW

Lynn
14th-June-2006, 12:54 PM
Agree with Lory's comments a dance just starts with a feel good factor when the guy asks me. I don't ask much, but I will look and smile - with people I dance with regularly that's enough, no words needed, with new people thats encouragement to ask me. But then I'm shy. :innocent:

Any brisk walks are usually driven by the music - I'll do it for a tango track. Or if a song comes on that I like to dance to with a particular partner then likewise, though in those instances they are usually looking for me too so its a joint effort in the 'running' then we meet mid dance floor...

Yes we love enthusiasm :clap: . IMO there is no better way to start a dance than a man running the whole length of the dance floor just to get to me. Very rare, but I consider it a massive compliment. :yeah:

ducasi
14th-June-2006, 01:25 PM
Where's Ducasi??? :confused: Where's Donna with her dictionary??? :confused:

Sorry the dictionary definition of "run" is just wa-a-a-a-a-ay to long for me to format up to post here.

But here's "brisk":

brisk
adjective
active, fast, and energetic : a good brisk walk | business appeared to be brisk.
• (of the weather or wind) cold but fresh and enlivening.
• sharp or abrupt : the brisk, dismissive nod of her head.

:)

jivecat
14th-June-2006, 02:26 PM
As the song says, 'love the one your with' :wink:

Dance psychology in action?

(in saying that, someone 'asked me' last Friday, that i'd long since given up even trying to make eye contact with :confused: )

All things come to she who waits.

I've given up running. However, at Southport, I had my radar fixed upon a certain extremely busy forumite. As the track ended I started towards him at what I hoped was a brisk, but "dignified", prowl, when, in the final furlong I was pipped at the post by a determined stripey creature galloping past! :innocent:

Caught him later, though. (see above.)

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2006, 05:24 PM
I've given up running. However, at Southport, I had my radar fixed upon a certain extremely busy forumite. As the track ended I started towards him at what I hoped was a brisk, but "dignified", prowl, when, in the final furlong I was pipped at the post by a determined stripey creature galloping past! :innocent:

Caught him later, though. (see above.)

I'm so sorry Heather, I will keep an eye out for you next time :hug: ...I suppose zebras are faster than cats :blush: .

I wonder who I was after so desperately? Hmmmm.... was it the man with the 'inner wart hog' perhaps?

He was definitely worth galloping for. :drool:

ZW

Rhythm King
14th-June-2006, 05:26 PM
He was definitely galloping for. :drool:

ZW
Galloping for what? :whistle:

fletch
14th-June-2006, 05:27 PM
I love running up to dance partners. On fast floors you can slide the end of it (hopefully) stopping to arrive at a stop just before your partner. It's fun and, I think, a lot of women like to be asked that way. It shows enthusiasm :D.

I'll be looking out for this one on Friday :D

:rofl:

Paul F
14th-June-2006, 05:29 PM

Thats excellent :grin:

Could you add a little pirouette on the end :nice:

fletch
14th-June-2006, 05:44 PM
Thats excellent :grin:

Could you add a little pirouette on the end :nice:
I would like to see you try this method Paul :devil:

Paul F
14th-June-2006, 05:51 PM
I would like to see you try this method Paul :devil:

Not a chance :grin: I would probably strain something :what:

fletch
14th-June-2006, 05:54 PM

hoooo, shucks! :D

This would make a FAB dare :wink:

Paul F
14th-June-2006, 05:56 PM
hoooo, shucks! :D

This would make a FAB dare :wink:

All you need to do now is find a willing participant :nice:

*runs away*

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2006, 05:58 PM

That is a fair point.

At home I have an 8 metre stretch of wooden floor on which I love to run and slide whilst wearing socks. I then tried a run with a big slide on a dance floor wearing 2" heeled leather soled dance shoes. I sprained my ankle straight away when a tiny little sticky patch on the floor caught one of my feet.

Not recommended in heels, unless you know what you're doing, that's what I'd say.:sad:

Seahorse
14th-June-2006, 06:04 PM
Sure I'd chase a partner I wanted to dance with but not in 2inch :eek: heels like ZW!

Paul F
14th-June-2006, 06:14 PM
Not recommended in heels, unless you know what you're doing, that's what I'd say.:sad:

Makes a change from the usual 'zebra crossing' - 'zebra sliding' :grin:

jivecat
14th-June-2006, 07:47 PM
He was definitely worth galloping for. :drool:

ZW
Don't know about the warthog (more likely a smoothhound, possibly native to France but isolated examples have been noted in Scotland) but well worth any amount of prowling and galloping. Why do you think he was so busy?:wink:

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2006, 07:55 PM
Don't know about the warthog (more likely a smoothhound, possibly native to France but isolated examples have been noted in Scotland) but well worth any amount of prowling and galloping. Why do you think he was so busy?:wink:

Ahhh yes I seem to remember I did a full gallop from the deck into the blues room for our dear Franck (I had tried and missed him several times before that).

Yup he's well worth a preparatory prowl followed by a timely gallop, just like my "inner wart hog" man....glad you got him too in the end.:grin:

jivecat
14th-June-2006, 08:15 PM
Ahhh yes I seem to remember I did a full gallop from the deck into the blues room for our dear Franck (I had tried and missed him several times before that).

Ah, now I understand how you had managed to build up so much momentum -there was definitely an impression of brakes being applied at the last second before actually mowing the poor chap down.

The only unanswered question is - Who is Mr Warthog??

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2006, 08:22 PM
Ah, now I understand how you had managed to build up so much momentum -there was definitely an impression of brakes being applied at the last second before actually mowing the poor chap down.

The only unanswered question is - Who is Mr Warthog??

I'll introduce you Heather, but you must really promise not to call him that! :really:

jivecat
14th-June-2006, 08:35 PM
I'll introduce you Heather, but you must really promise not to call him that! :really:
Just so long as he hasn't got tusks and a whiskery snout. It's one thing to be rummaged by a fox but quite another to be snuffled by a hog.

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2006, 08:39 PM
Just so long as he hasn't got tusks and a whiskery snout. It's one thing to be rummaged by a fox but quite another to be snuffled by a hog.

Not at all, he's tall handsome and clean shaven, and smells good too. He's not on the Forum, otherwise I would be busted :blush: .

foxylady
15th-June-2006, 11:55 PM
Not at all, he's tall handsome and clean shaven, and smells good too. He's not on the Forum, otherwise I would be busted :blush: .

You have SO got to share !! I shared (much as I didn't want to !).

Keith J
16th-June-2006, 02:39 PM
tsk:wink: U so sweet about me...:flower:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
17th-June-2006, 02:14 PM

Not all the time, depends what mood I am in, if i'm feeling shy I am less likely to do so, but like Graham-I don't run, I just walk rather fast :whistle:

fletch
17th-June-2006, 07:47 PM

Well I can vouch for it :D

Your pirouette was fantastic :clap:

killingtime
21st-June-2006, 03:34 PM
Your pirouette was fantastic :clap:

Thanks! I only do them for you :flower:.

Maybe I should have done ballet though :rolleyes:.

straycat
23rd-October-2006, 02:11 PM
I would have said 'no', but I did on Saturday, so that would have been a lie. :what:

sidney
23rd-October-2006, 02:27 PM
I spotted this thread, and I know it is a old one, but it reminded me last week at Derby when almost the end of the night I spotted robd for once away from his crowd on his own, and I was quite near but my old friend jivecat spinted right pass me to get him so I throught well I will get him next dance. Well when that ended I did not stand a chance as l.locket and cruella got there first both at the same time shouting dance with me or something like that it was like birds to prey l.l won so that was that for me. I am going to have to get some tips from the experts:sick: But I made up for it this sat and got my dance with robd and for me it was magic so gentle like his title:grin:

Cruella
23rd-October-2006, 02:55 PM
IWell when that ended I did not stand a chance as l.locket and cruella got there first both at the same time shouting dance with me or something like that it was like birds to prey l.l won so that was that for me.:
:rofl: I think you must of been mistaken, RobD wasn't at Derby! :rofl:

Trust me if he had been, i wouldn't be fighting over him. :whistle:

robd
23rd-October-2006, 03:03 PM
:rofl: I think you must of been mistaken, RobD wasn't at Derby! :rofl:

Trust me if he had been, i wouldn't be fighting over him. :whistle:

That's quite some run for a dance - Derby to Hove :what:

And, unlike some parts of me, I do have a BIG memory Cruella. That last comment is stored for future repetition :wink:

But I made up for it this sat and got my dance with robd and for me it was magic so gentle like his title:grin:

Acting on the basis that this time it actually was me, all I can say is thank you and repeat what I say to all the women I partner: 'don't worry, you won't feel a thing' :innocent: :blush:

sidney
23rd-October-2006, 03:13 PM
Sorry guys it's names I tend to forget the guy at Derby does look like you but you could not miss him he wore leopard trs and he was the dj there quite good looking:waycool: you will know who I mean Cruella.:) I just going to have to up my game when it comes to getting them dances, and not be so shy:innocent:

Cruella
23rd-October-2006, 03:17 PM
Sorry guys it's names I tend to forget the guy at Derby does look like you but you could not miss him he wore leopard trs and he was the dj there quite good looking:waycool: you will know who I mean Cruella.:) I just going to have to up my game when it comes to getting them dances, and not be so shy:innocent:

That was TWK (Toby Wan Kenobe). :flower: For your infomation he asked me to dance :na: (I knew i wouldn't have been fighting over a man!!)

robd
23rd-October-2006, 03:20 PM
For your infomation he asked me to dance :na:

He always wins his bets, no matter how much hardship it takes :whistle:

sidney
23rd-October-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm keeping out of this one but it was the last dance of the evening and ever girl wanted that last one me included:flower: I did think to myself when I saw you robd that you had a complete change of image to the one in Derby:confused:

robd
23rd-October-2006, 03:31 PM
I did think to myself when I saw you robd that you had a complete change of image to the one in Derby:confused:

Wearing a plain white shirt and black trousers as I was at Daventry, I can see where you saw the resemblance to TWK.

sidney
23rd-October-2006, 03:41 PM
okay, okay, I bet the next time you will confused me and turn up in some Rod Stewart outfit, and then I will be :what:

Clueless
23rd-October-2006, 03:43 PM
I sometimes do but there are other times girls are running after me, esp when the guys are out-numbered! not that I complian :rolleyes:

But 9/10 I look acorss the dancefloor and see someone I would like to dance with and I just bide my time till she is free, but if there is feirce competition I sometimes run, wel... stride faster :wink: :nice:

robd
23rd-October-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't know if I answered my own poll but I very rarely run after a dance partner. I did, however, make sure I was conveniently positioned at song's end and got across pretty sharpish to ask the fabulous Little Em :respect: for another dance on Saturday.

Greedy, I know but if these people will go to the frozen North you have to make the most of them when they resurface from time to time :grin:

Clueless
23rd-October-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't know if I answered my own poll but I very rarely run after a dance partner. I did, however, make sure I was conveniently positioned at song's end and got across pretty sharpish to ask the fabulous Little Em :respect: for another dance on Saturday.

Greedy, I know but if these people will go to the frozen North you have to make the most of them when they resurface from time to time :grin:

That is unless you already live in the forzen north :wink:

TheTramp
23rd-October-2006, 04:21 PM
That is unless you already live in the forzen north :wink:

Ah. So you'll be making the trip out to Culter on a Tuesday to dance with Emma then! :yum:

Clueless
23rd-October-2006, 04:27 PM
Ah. So you'll be making the trip out to Culter on a Tuesday to dance with Emma then! :yum:

Ha ha I normally go on Wed and she sometime comes there so I have to ask her to dance :blush:

Blueshoes
24th-October-2006, 12:12 AM
The best way of achieving this is to do it with style and panache - set off at a gentle pace, put in a couple of triple steps and a double spin, then slide across the floor on your knees, revolving gently, using exactly the right amount of pace to stop directly in front of the dancer in question, orientated at a jaunty angle.

It's never worked for me but I'm still practicing....

Freya
24th-October-2006, 12:18 AM

So you'll be coming down to London when theres a mass invasion from North O'the Border?

Yogi_Bear
25th-October-2006, 05:35 PM

Running across the dance floor sounds dangerous and would clearly be a mistake. Running after someone while you aren't on the dance floor (let's say the person is walking off and you are heading towards them) is risky as you need a good exit strategy in case of failure. Better to saunter up to them casually :waycool:

Patrick
26th-October-2006, 05:13 AM
The best way of achieving this is to do it with style and panache - set off at a gentle pace, put in a couple of triple steps and a double spin, then slide across the floor on your knees, revolving gently, using exactly the right amount of pace to stop directly in front of the dancer in question, orientated at a jaunty angle.

It's never worked for me but I'm still practicing....

:rofl: I tried an easier variation where I slid halfway across a slippery floor aiming to stop just by her side. Pity about the sticky patch... :eek: Not very :cool:

Sadly I didn't make it to Daventry in the end, but I would have been running after Little Em! I still remember our one dance at Stirling... :yum: :waycool:

I generally don't run, all so unseemly! Since when do, I usually get pipped at the post anyway... This happened to me quite spectacularly at Breeze where I made a big play of running over to grab an apparantly free Fletch... to find her snatched away by Mike Ellard at the last moment :highly embarrassed smiley: It even happened to me when I ran to grab my regular dance partner for our favourite track. Oh, the pain! :tears: :tears: :mad:

I do sometimes make a run for the last available lady for the last dance of the night. So poignant when we both know we were the last people anyone there wanted to dance with that night... it can create quite a bond. :hug: Not-quite-getting the last avaialable lady is even more :tears: :tears: :tears: Contrary to many ladies' experience, I often find myself at venues with an excess of men. :mad:

So you'll be coming down to London when theres a mass invasion from North O'the Border?

On my 2 trips to Monday Lush, Rob has been there 50%. Is this a mass invasion of Scots, or just the dynamic duo? I don't think there'll be much running at Kent House, not enough room. And there's nowhere to hide!

I had the bizarre experience last night of running around after a partner I never actually saw... I was sure she must be there somewhere, someone told me she was, and every time I was free I dashed round like a mad thing trying to find her. I never did find her, and she's going back over the Atlantic at the end of the week...:tears:

Patrick :flower:

~ dance like you've never been hurt, love like no-one is watching ~

fletch
27th-October-2006, 09:02 AM
:

This happened to me quite spectacularly at Breeze where I made a big play of running over to grab an apparantly free Fletch... to find her snatched away by Mike Ellard at the last moment :highly embarrassed smiley:

]

Sorry babes, :blush:

Witty has got it down to a 't' .....she said i'm going to ask so & so to dance on Sunday afternoon at Daventry, he was right across the other side of the room, she casually walked over but as she got there he was nabed, she just carried on walking out the door, very cool :respect:

Patrick
27th-October-2006, 10:26 AM
Sorry babes, :blush:

Witty has got it down to a 't' .....she said i'm going to ask so & so to dance on Sunday afternoon at Daventry, he was right across the other side of the room, she casually walked over but as she got there he was nabed, she just carried on walking out the door, very cool :respect:

Thank you Fletch. I'm sure my broken heart will mend... eventually!

I would love to do the Witty trick, but when it happens to me there is usually nowhere to hide :o :o :o With my luck it would be a door to the store cupboard or the ladies loo! :eek: I usually end up doing an embarrassed circuit to where I started, and have a little :tears:

Sometimes I get lucky on the way back, but then I get the feeling the lady saw what hapened and knows she wasn't first choice! :blush:

Trouble
27th-October-2006, 12:07 PM
Sometimes I get lucky on the way back, but then I get the feeling the lady saw what hapened and knows she wasn't first choice! :blush:

or she thinks *B*lo*ks didn't see him coming. :whistle:

I find running for a guy generally doesnt work. i have developed the stalk and grab method. I watch for a dancer that i would like to take,,,, follow him around the hall, as the song is finishing, move onto the dance floor and grab him.....works every time. :D

Cruella
27th-October-2006, 12:18 PM
stalk and grab method. i would like to take,,,, follow him around the hall and grab him.....works every time. :D
Maybe that works on the Essex boys, but you try it on the London scene and i guarantee your reputation will soon proceed you. (Trust me I know! :whistle: ):rofl:

Trouble
27th-October-2006, 12:28 PM
Maybe that works on the Essex boys, but you try it on the London scene and i guarantee your reputation will soon proceed you. (Trust me I know! :whistle: ):rofl:

its a very stealth movement,, you have to be quick and innocent looking, like you just finished a dance.......oh and look didn't see you there,, hold ya hand out and wallah,,, he is all yours...... im good at it,, reputation intact. i hope :whistle: Do it on london boys too not just the essex ones,, nobody noticed me yet......:flower: :flower:

NZ Monkey
27th-October-2006, 12:30 PM

It's never worked for me but I'm still practicing....You mean I'm not the only one that does this?!

Damn..... now I need a new gimmick :tears:

Patrick
27th-October-2006, 12:31 PM

I have devloped quite good avoidance tactics when I am chasing someone I really want to dance with NOW. However, I find increasingly that I get 'taken from behind' by tap on the shoulder from a delightful stalking lady at the critical moment. I never see them coming... which is their plan I guess.

My best fun was helping a partner who really wanted to dance with a certain dance god, but was afraid to ask. I worked us over the floor so we were dancing right next to him. When the music stopped, I grabbed him and made sure they danced the next one! I love it when a plan comes together. :nice:

Trouble
27th-October-2006, 12:33 PM
I have devloped quite good avoidance tactics when I am chasing someone I really want to dance with NOW. However, I find increasingly that I get 'taken from behind' by tap on the shoulder from a delightful stalking lady at the critical moment. I never see them coming... which is their plan I guess.

My best fun was helping a partner who really wanted to dance with a certain dance god, but was afraid to ask. I worked us over the floor so we were dancing right next to him. When the music stopped, I grabbed him and made sure they danced the next one! I love it when a plan comes together. :nice:

you see Patrick its lovely little helpers like you who get us shy gals what we need.. :flower: me being a shy little back tapper,,, need good guys like you. :D

Cruella
27th-October-2006, 12:35 PM
'taken from behind'
I never see them coming...
I worked us over the floor
I grabbed him
comes together. :nice:

Do you write for Mills and Boon?

Patrick
27th-October-2006, 12:49 PM
you see Patrick its lovely little helpers like you who get us shy gals what we need.. :flower: me being a shy little back tapper,,, need good guys like you. :D

I find it hard to believe you are a shy little thing! I bet you arrange Double hijacks with your sister, and take them from in front and behind at the same time.. no escape! :D But if you're finding it hard to pin your man down, I'm always happy to oblige.

Do you write for Mills and Boon?

I don't know what you are talking about :innocent: :innocent: :whistle: :whistle: My thoughts are 100% pure!

Perhaps I missed my vocation without realising it... Do you have their phone number by any chance? :grin:

Trouble
27th-October-2006, 12:54 PM
I find it hard to believe you are a shy little thing! I bet you arrange Double hijacks with your sister, and take them from in front and behind at the same time.. no escape! :D

:grin:

Moi and my sister,, us,, double hijacks,,,,,, never. we are two shy flowers who wait to be asked unless provoked into action then we surround, trap and take the innocent victim...... who surrenders to our every whim..... :flower: :na: :na: :na: :na:

David Bailey
27th-October-2006, 01:08 PM
Moi and my sister,, us,, double hijacks,,,,,, never. we are two shy flowers who wait to be asked unless provoked into action then we surround, trap and take the innocent victim...... who surrenders to our every whim..... :flower: :na: :na: :na: :na:
That's a scary keyboard problem you've got with the "," sign there. I'd get a man in.

Twirly
27th-October-2006, 01:30 PM
You know I'm getting the imperssion from this thread that there are lots of people chasing/getting chased around the dancefloor and no-one is winding up dancing with whom they intended!

Cruella
27th-October-2006, 01:32 PM
You know I'm getting the imperssion from this thread that there are lots of people chasing/getting chased around the dancefloor and no-one is winding up dancing with whom they intended!

:rofl: I just had a vision of the Benny Hill credits :rofl:

If your not old enough to understand this, Tough!

Twirly
27th-October-2006, 01:35 PM

:yeah:
:respect:

TheTramp
27th-October-2006, 01:37 PM

I'm not :whistle:

I just caught the repeats. Honest!

Beowulf
27th-October-2006, 01:45 PM
So Twirly would be the glamourous model being chased by Benny "TheTramp" Hill and Cruella and co all running after him and i'd probably be the old bald guy who got his head slapped a lot (except I'm not bald.. at least not when I wear my Toupee)

With that image firmly in your head

CLICK HERE (http://www.skyfall.co.uk/bennyhill.mp3)

(from my mobile.. it's my "custom ringtone" for when certain people call me.. shhh don't tell Gadget ;) )

stewart38
27th-October-2006, 01:58 PM

I walk fast and when they start running away i start running :sad:

David Bailey
27th-October-2006, 02:01 PM
Dah... dee-dee-diddy-dah-dee-dee-diddy-dah-dum-dee-diddy-dah-dum.

Or something like that.

LadyMarmalade
27th-October-2006, 02:03 PM

:rofl: :yeah: :rofl: :yeah: :rofl: :yeah:

I sometimes wonder if the person who I want to dance with actually wants to dance with me!?!?:eek:

TheTramp
27th-October-2006, 02:05 PM
(from my mobile.. it's my "custom ringtone" for when certain people call me.. shhh don't tell Gadget ;) )

Thank you. I think that I'll be using that for a ringtone as well :D

Clueless
27th-October-2006, 02:32 PM
Dah... dee-dee-diddy-dah-dee-dee-diddy-dah-dum-dee-diddy-dah-dum.

Or something like that.

:yeah: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Classic

How long did that take you to do that? :rofl: :worthy: :rofl:

David Bailey
27th-October-2006, 02:33 PM
How long did that take you to do that? :rofl: :worthy: :rofl:
Scarily, only 30 seconds from memory. :blush:

Genie
28th-October-2006, 02:48 AM
So very sad. Yet so very funny.

It's not so easy to run after partners in J.Jacks at Aberdeen. The Dance floor is walled in. The only way to grab a guy/girl is to actually BE on the dance floor and relatively close. Or you'll never get there in time ;)

Clueless
28th-October-2006, 10:53 AM
So very sad. Yet so very funny.

It's not so easy to run after partners in J.Jacks at Aberdeen. The Dance floor is walled in. The only way to grab a guy/girl is to actually BE on the dance floor and relatively close. Or you'll never get there in time ;)

:yeah: or you lurk round the exit :whistle:

Andreas
28th-October-2006, 07:57 PM
I never thought I'd do it but during this year I have now, I think, turned down three ladies with the excuse that I wanted to dance with another one when they intercepted me on my way to respective other lady. I hate turning somebody down but sometimes you'll just not get the chance to dance with a person that you want to dance with. :whistle: On the other hand, I made an effort afterwards finding them for a dance which didn't always result in success but I tried. :D

As for running for a dance partner myself, not really. Usually the night is long enough to get a dance and if not then there is always a next time. Patience is a virtue. :flower:

David Bailey
28th-October-2006, 08:30 PM
I never thought I'd do it but during this year I have now, I think, turned down three ladies with the excuse that I wanted to dance with another one when they intercepted me on my way to respective other lady.
Something similar's happened to me twice this week - I promise the next dance with someone, go to find them, then they're dancing with someone, then I dance with someone, then that person asks for another dance but I feel I should find the first person for the next dance... It's hard work, this dancing etiquette stuff.

Andreas
28th-October-2006, 09:07 PM
Something similar's happened to me twice this week - I promise the next dance with someone, go to find them, then they're dancing with someone, then I dance with someone, then that person asks for another dance but I feel I should find the first person for the next dance... It's hard work, this dancing etiquette stuff.
Yup, let's go to Hammersmith and learn from the 'no row'. They seem to have perfected it. :whistle: :D

DavidY
28th-October-2006, 11:53 PM
Something similar's happened to me twice this week - I promise the next dance with someone, go to find them, then they're dancing with someone, then I dance with someone, then that person asks for another dance but I feel I should find the first person for the next dance... It's hard work, this dancing etiquette stuff.This reminds me. If I don't dance with someone (for whatever reason) I try not to promise "the next dance"; just to catch them later.

As DJ says "the next dance" is logistically quite complex.

But also you may find that, for instance, you may have asked someone because you the track playing was suitable for dancing with them (eg. someone you know likes dancing fast). But the next track may be a completely different tempo & you may not enjoy it so much.

Is it just me who does this?:blush:

Northants Girly
29th-October-2006, 12:26 AM
This reminds me. If I don't dance with someone (for whatever reason) I try not to promise "the next dance"; just to catch them later.

Is it just me who does this?:blush:Sounds like a good idea to me :nice:

Jamie
29th-October-2006, 11:49 PM
I find it really annoying when someone runs across the dance floor to get me, especially when a really good track comes on that I always dance with a cirtain person, they usually find that they don't get a good dance off me when people do that, cos I'm too busy thinking "I wish I was dancing with ... to this"

To me, if you see someone walking across a dance floor (well actually round the edge of the dance floor, etiquet people!!) with a purpose then you leave them to it and get them when they're either sat down or just stood about chatting..

TheTramp
29th-October-2006, 11:51 PM
I find it really annoying when someone runs across the dance floor to get me

Ah. How nice to be wanted. I'm always just grateful when someone asks me to dance. Unless they do it when I'm knackered! :rolleyes:

Jamie
29th-October-2006, 11:55 PM
Ah. How nice to be wanted. I'm always just grateful when someone asks me to dance. Unless they do it when I'm knackered! :rolleyes:

But why the running? Surely to get a dance with someone that is already dancing, you just stand near them waiting for a dance, as I've done before, or just dance close to them then ask them.. I really don't apreciate people running up and litterally grabbing me when I'm on my way to get someone up.

Icey
30th-October-2006, 12:28 AM
My tactic used to be bounce up and say "Pick me, pick me :D " ... but now I just sit at home and study and hear all about dance camp antics from Mr Darcy :tears: (I tried not to bounce whist dancing though!)

ducasi
30th-October-2006, 12:38 AM
My tactic used to be bounce up and say "Pick me, pick me :D " ... but now I just sit at home and study and hear all about dance camp antics from Mr Darcy :tears: (I tried not to bounce whist dancing though!)
Hope you're back dancing soon! :hug:

Patrick
30th-October-2006, 06:27 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me :nice:

Yes, catch you later is better than promising the next dance I think. I've been left hanging for ages by people who promised the next dance and didn't make it, which is even worse than being refused in the first place... :( :sad: :angry:

Now, if someone refuses, whatever the reason, I don't wait, and I don't ask again. I figure it's their turn next! :D

Patrick
30th-October-2006, 06:54 AM
Now, if someone refuses, whatever the reason, I don't wait, and I don't ask again. I figure it's their turn next! :D

Just realised I don't always do this. There was someone I really wanted to dance with tonight, took the chance to ask her 3 or 4 times before getting a yes. :eek: (scary, each time it gets harder to ask again) . Even then she was actually waiting for someone else. I wasn't disappointed :bliss: She is very popular for good reason.

In this case, she never promised the next dance, she said yes, I want to dance with you later.

I returned the favour by guiding us over to the person she really wanted to dance with :D :tears: :wink:

I think she did want to dance with me, but if I hadn't kept trying, I don't think she would have had chance to get back to me this time (and I'd been waiting 3 months already!)

Andreas
30th-October-2006, 08:35 PM
Just realised I don't always do this. There was someone I really wanted to dance with tonight, took the chance to ask her 3 or 4 times before getting a yes. :eek: (scary, each time it gets harder to ask again) . Even then she was actually waiting for someone else. I wasn't disappointed :bliss: She is very popular for good reason.
Heck you are thick. :rofl: I honestly admire your persistence, I'd have given up after second time latest. Turning a person down three times in a night is just plain rude and should be rewarded with a kick in the backside. Either you tell the person that you don't want to dance with them or you make the effort of dancing. :insertshakesheadindisbelieficonhere:

David Bailey
30th-October-2006, 09:19 PM
Heck you are thick. :rofl: I honestly admire your persistence, I'd have given up after second time latest.
One ask per night, that's my rule. After that, it's up to them - I've clearly expressed an intention to dance, if they choose not to follow it up, then that's fine.

TheTramp
30th-October-2006, 09:28 PM
There are some people that I don't even ask once!! :innocent:

straycat
30th-October-2006, 09:58 PM

Yep. You've never asked me, for a start.
Not that I've ever asked you, but that's not the point. I think. :whistle:

Cruella
30th-October-2006, 10:44 PM
One ask per night,

I'm still waiting! :whistle:

TheTramp
31st-October-2006, 01:31 AM
Yep. You've never asked me, for a start.
Not that I've ever asked you, but that's not the point. I think. :whistle:

Would you like to dance? :flower:

Patrick
31st-October-2006, 02:27 AM
One ask per night, that's my rule. After that, it's up to them - I've clearly expressed an intention to dance, if they choose not to follow it up, then that's fine.

Like I said, that is normally my rule too, but...

Heck you are thick. :rofl: I honestly admire your persistence, I'd have given up after second time latest. Turning a person down three times in a night is just plain rude and should be rewarded with a kick in the backside. Either you tell the person that you don't want to dance with them or you make the effort of dancing. :insertshakesheadindisbelieficonhere:

Thank you for your admiration! Yes it does take a foolhardy kind of courage to keep on. Ages ago one lady turned me down 3 times in one night, and then again at a subsequent freestyle. Safe to say I will never ask her again! On Sunday I knew the lady was happy to dance with me if she could get away, except there was a continuous queue of pushier hotter shotters always ahead of me, of which you were probably one I seem to remember! (Sunday T-jive?) This is the problem, you can't actually guarantee to dance with someone later, one or both of you is liable to be hijacked after each subsequent dance. And I knew I was pretty low down in the priority list.

If she hadn't squeezed me in I would have been more than a little deflated. As it was I had my best dance of the night, well ever really :D

Conversely, there was another outstanding dancer who's partner more or less set me up for a dance when I told him she had refused me before (and then danced with him!) I still didn't dare ask, to get turned down again in such circumstances would be even more embarrassing. I will probably never ask her again.

David Bailey
31st-October-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm still waiting! :whistle:
Oooh, can I please book a dance then, for when I come up to see the Ceroc Midlands Champs? Please? Puh-lease? :flower: :hug: :kiss: :hug: etc.
:rolleyes:

fletch
31st-October-2006, 09:27 AM

Yes I can confirm this comment :rolleyes:

Oooh, can I please book a dance then, for when I come up to see the Ceroc Midlands Champs? Please? Puh-lease? :flower: :hug: :kiss: :hug: etc.
:rolleyes:

So are you coming to the Midlands Champs :confused:

I neaver know with you if your joking or not, it might be the push I need. :wink:

TheTramp
31st-October-2006, 09:33 AM
Yes I can confirm this comment :rolleyes:

Hey fletch. Can I have a dance or three at Camber please? :flower:

David Bailey
31st-October-2006, 09:34 AM
So are you coming to the Midlands Champs :confused:
What do you think? :na:

I mean, if I knew for sure that there'd be cakes (and wristbands), I definitely consider thinking about maybe going or something. Otherwise, no.

Besides, the way I've been dancing recently, it's best to keep me away from, well, everywhere :sad:

fletch
31st-October-2006, 09:41 AM
Besides, the way I've been dancing recently, it's best to keep me away from, well, everywhere :sad:

Well I enjoyed out dances on Friday :clap: but that proberbly cos you weren't on top form then :wink: :na:

:flower:

fletch
31st-October-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey fletch. Can I have a dance or three at Camber please? :flower:

You can have as many as you wan't I loooove dancing with you :clap:

well you not bad for a begginer:na:

:worthy: