PDA

View Full Version : Aerials

littlewiggle
10th-June-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm absolutely fascinated by aerials! I get to do a few with one guy who sometimes dances at my usual venue but not many people do them. There never seems to be any workshops for aerials either :sad: A Southporter told me that Beach Boogie in the Isle of Wight is the place to be for aerial classes but alas, I can't go. I suppose I'm back to the usual problem of finding a daredevil dance partner! Aerials are safe if done correctly so why does everyone avoid them like the plague?!:confused: As long as you are realistic in your aims........no good if you're a ten ton Tess :yum: but if you are fit, flexible and slightly built.... you can aerial to the max! Gimme aerials:waycool:

Lynn
10th-June-2006, 09:10 AM
Aerials are safe if done correctly so why does everyone avoid them like the plague?!:confused: People who do competitions don't avoid them. For competitions they are great and I enjoy watching them and the skill it takes to do them.

But they don't belong on a social dancefloor - they are most definitely not safe then! So there isn't much point in them being taught at social dance weekenders and events (aside perhaps from some baby aerials).

I'm sure if you want to compete and find a partner to compete with, you will be able to find places to learn them.:flower:

Mary
10th-June-2006, 10:41 AM
I agree with Lynn - aerials are definately not for the social dance floor, even though there are still some pillocks out there who do it.:angry:

Aerials are great for cabaret and competions, and are also fun to learn and practise so long as certain rules and guidelines are adhered to. If you can find another couple to practise with it adds to the fun, means you have spotters and can stop full-blown arguments.:devil:

I also think you don't necessarily have to be particularly flexible or slight of build for the lady.

M

Lory
10th-June-2006, 11:25 AM
no good if you're a ten ton Tess

though there are still some pillocks out there who do it.:angry:

:yeah: They even try them on me! :sick: And some men are quite persistent :tears: Quite frankly, I find it embaressing! :blush:

bigdjiver
10th-June-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm absolutely fascinated by aerials! I get to do a few with one guy who sometimes dances at my usual venue but not many people do them. There never seems to be any workshops for aerials either :sad: A Southporter told me that Beach Boogie in the Isle of Wight is the place to be for aerial classes but alas, I can't go. I suppose I'm back to the usual problem of finding a daredevil dance partner! Aerials are safe if done correctly so why does everyone avoid them like the plague?!:confused: As long as you are realistic in your aims........no good if you're a ten ton Tess :yum: but if you are fit, flexible and slightly built.... you can aerial to the max! Gimme aerials:waycool:There arer a few ladies that like arials, and I enjoy doing them too. I seek out quiet corners to do them. There is usually only one other couple to consider, and I have to have confidence in their ability. I limit them to having the ladies centre of gravity about the same level as mine. I keep her head away from other dancers.
I enjoy watching arials too. I believe performance is part of MJ. It has a spectator sport element.

spindr
10th-June-2006, 12:27 PM
Aerials are safe if done correctly so why does everyone avoid them like the plague?!:confused:
Because if you mess up you won't just hurt yourself but probably anyone near you. My scariest experience has been when someone danced a circling "superman" style lift -- with the lady horizontal on the guys shoulder -- should have been safe except there wasn't enough room and the effect was that the lady's stiletto heel wizzed round inches away from my eye. It's one of the few occasions I've "had a word".

SpinDr

P.S. You might be interested in a few notes (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/acrobatic_moves.html).

littlewiggle
10th-June-2006, 12:41 PM
Yes perhaps I should clarify my comment that aerials are safe! I do of course appreciate that there is a time and a place for such moves. A busy social floor is not one of them. It's no good any old stranger throwing a lady round as timing and technique are everything so practice is definitely required.

Ickle Chick'n
10th-June-2006, 01:10 PM
I love aerials too but again don't get to do them often, and then only with people I really trust now. When I first started I did them with anyone I could, soon learned that wasn't a clever idea.

........no good if you're a ten ton Tess :yum: but if you are fit, flexible and slightly built.... you can aerial to the max!
I'd also like to point out that a "ten ton Tess" if she knows how to carry her weight correctly is not always a problem, a heavy lady can make herslef appear ten times lighter, equally fiit and slight as some ladies are a tiny lady can mke herslef loads heavier by not carying herself properly. Not to make a big deal but thought this should be pointed out for us not so slight ladies...:rolleyes:

trouble with teaching aerials a lot and openly it encourages those who don't neessarily have the skills to do them to try, and these are the ones that don't usually losten to the warnings about them not being acceptible on a social dancefloor etc. People who think they're good are often too good to actually listen properly to direction so I can understand why they aren't taught very openly.:flower:

littlewiggle
10th-June-2006, 01:18 PM
All good points........but I wanna do them...........................now................ .lol :tears:

Martin
10th-June-2006, 01:53 PM
:yeah: They even try them on me! :sick: And some men are quite persistent :tears: Quite frankly, I find it embaressing! :blush:

he he, do you remember the cartwheel over the legs I did with you at Camber many years ago!! :waycool:
Admitedly it was on the grass outside a chalet and not on a crowded dance floor, and I did seek your permission first :kiss:

:flower:

Martin
10th-June-2006, 01:59 PM
a heavy lady can make herslef appear ten times lighter, equally fiit and slight as some ladies are a tiny lady can mke herslef loads heavier by not carying herself properly.

So true :flower:

trouble with teaching aerials a lot and openly it encourages those who don't neessarily have the skills to do them to try, and these are the ones that don't usually losten to the warnings about them not being acceptible on a social dancefloor etc. People who think they're good are often too good to actually listen properly to direction so I can understand why they aren't taught very openly.:flower:

There is not much you can do about the people who do not listen.
I know David and Lily and myself are over the top safety focused when teaching ariels and try our hardest to drum in the importance of spotters and where ariels are appropiate.
It would be sad not to teach them as they look good for cabarets and team events.

littlewiggle
12th-June-2006, 05:24 PM
Spotters?!! Huh?

David Franklin
12th-June-2006, 05:34 PM
Spotters?!! Huh?You're not joking, are you?

Spotters are people who stand by to make sure you don't get hurt if somethng goes wrong during the execution of an aerial. In very simple terms, the job of a spotter is to make sure that if the man drops you, you don't land on your head or break your neck.

Unless you're talking about very small moves, you should always use a spotter when learning aerials. (I would say you don't need a spotter for a move where you don't go more than a couple of feet off the ground and you stay approximately vertical so if you do get dropped you the only way you could get dropped is onto your feet. Even then you'd be amazed how often you don't stay as upright as you expected!)

To be honest, if you don't know what a spotter is, I seriously suggest you find yourself a good aerials teacher before continuing with aerials.

ducasi
12th-June-2006, 05:35 PM
Spotters?!! Huh?
They "spot" you falling and catch you. :D

Rhythm King
12th-June-2006, 05:37 PM
Spotters - people who "spot", ie stand around the practicing couple to catch them if they fall.

Andy and Rena, who teach at Beach Boogie, do workshops through the summer, check out the Jump'n'Jive website. They also guest teach for other operators, as do David and Lily, try Coralie's Jive Plus at Oxford. You will usually need a fixed partner, but if you don't know anyone, talk to the operators, they may know someone who's looking for one themselves.

R-K

littlewiggle
12th-June-2006, 05:41 PM
No I wasn't joking! I have never been to a proper aerials workshop as I have never managed to find one! I did however have a dance friend on standby when a guy was teaching me some moves so I guess she was my spotter! Oh I learnt something today then :-)

LMC
12th-June-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm 5'9" and 14 stone. However, I'm still in size 14 clothes, so hardly obese.

Whilst I am probably much less suitable for chucking around than slighter ladies, and happily describe myself as "large", I object to the term "ten ton Tess" :mad: . As Ickle Chicken has already pointed out, size (of the follower) is not the only thing that has to be taken into consideration.

When I see how some slighter ladies are unwillingly hurled around the dance floor, I'm sometimes very grateful to be a big lass - ain't many people gonna drop or lift me anywhere if I don't wanna go :wink:

Donna
12th-June-2006, 05:55 PM
When I see how some slighter ladies are unwillingly hurled around the dance floor, I'm sometimes very grateful to be a big lass - ain't many people gonna drop or lift me anywhere if I don't wanna go :wink:

I've only ever done big aerials with one guy up here (don't know where he's gone to now! :tears:) but he was absolutely amazing!! He was so skinny and very tall but could lift the bigger ladies and make them look as light as a feather!!! He had amazing control! Was incredible!! :clap: So, no matter what your size is, anybody can do them.

drathzel
12th-June-2006, 11:29 PM
I also think you don't necessarily have to be particularly flexible or slight of build for the lady.

M

:yeah: I'm sure you too would probably agree with this if you were so

fit, flexible and slightly built

bigdjiver
13th-June-2006, 10:10 PM
I do not like the word "spotter", it is likely to be mis-interpreted. I would prefer something like "Safety" or "Catcher". Whatever they are called, they are not just there to intervene if a fall is likely. They should know enough to stop the move or intervene safely if either partner is approaching it wrong.

El Salsero Gringo
13th-June-2006, 10:58 PM
Should one undergo training in order to be a spotter? I have this fear that if one tries to intervene and gets it wrong, two people are going to get badly injured instead of one.

Mary
13th-June-2006, 11:02 PM
I do not like the word "spotter", it is likely to be mis-interpreted. I would prefer something like "Safety" or "Catcher". Whatever they are called, they are not just there to intervene if a fall is likely. They should know enough to stop the move or intervene safely if either partner is approaching it wrong.

"Spotter" is a universal term. Used in Gymnastics, Trampoline, and, I'm sure in lots of other sporting disciplines as well. Bit late to change it now I think.:wink:

M

DavidB
13th-June-2006, 11:17 PM
I've never really thought about the name. 'Spotting' is the term used in gymnastics, and this is their definition:

Spotting: Spotting or to "spot" someone in gymnastics means to assist them in safely completing a skill. The amount of spot can range from simply tapping a leg to completely carrying the gymnast through the motion. A spot can be used to reduce risk of injury, or to ensure proper technique. Spotting can be done hands on, or with a spotting device such as a spotting belt.

Whenever we teach a move, we teach the spot as well.

ElaineB
14th-June-2006, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=Martin]So true :flower:

I know David and Lily and myself are over the top safety focused when teaching ariels and try our hardest to drum in the importance of spotters and where ariels are appropiate.
QUOTE]

I can certainly vouch that David and Lily do :clap: - it is a bit scary being perched on top of someone who is 6 feet 2 inches, without having someone on hand who knows what they are doing!! David and Lily gave me loads of confidence! Wearing a riding hat/crash hat whilst practising helps as well!:whistle: :rofl:

Elaine

David Franklin
14th-June-2006, 12:55 PM
I can certainly vouch that David and Lily do :clap: - it is a bit scary being perched on top of someone who is 6 feet 2 inches, without having someone on hand who knows what they are doing!! :yeah: One of the wierdest "I can't quite believe I'm about to do this" experiences was standing against the edge of a stage, holding Bryony overhead in a back angel and "popping" her into the air. The idea was to catch her in a different position, but I was 90% certain it wasn't going to happen, and 95% certain that if she fell her head would be the first thing to hit the edge of the stage. DavidB was spotting (standing on the stage) - wouldn't have trusted anyone else.

I also have a recollection of me and DavidB spotting someone doing a somersault, and literally catching them head first less than a foot off the ground. No way I would have wanted to spot that by myself!

Ickle Chick'n
14th-June-2006, 01:04 PM
There is not much you can do about the people who do not listen. I know, and they're the dangerous know-alls I steer clear of!:angry:

It would be sad not to teach them as they look good for cabarets and team events.
:yeah: I loved that run of weekenders where you guys were doing aerials, it has gone a bit quiet on them since though, must be in the worng places too! Maybe you can show me some when I come to play with you, though it's looking like Feb now?! :flower:

There are workshops you just gotta know who does them then you can hunt for where. Spotters always a good idea to prevent landing on heads if it all goes horribly wrong!:eek:

Martin
15th-June-2006, 01:48 AM
:yeah: I loved that run of weekenders where you guys were doing aerials, it has gone a bit quiet on them since though, must be in the worng places too! Maybe you can show me some when I come to play with you, though it's looking like Feb now?! :flower:

Cool, see you in Feb then.. (or rather hot, as it will be the tail end of Summer) :clap:

Ickle Chick'n
15th-June-2006, 12:26 PM
Cool, see you in Feb then.. (or rather hot, as it will be the tail end of Summer) :clap:
:clap: yay, that'll be nice then! See you then :flower:

Mary
18th-June-2006, 12:17 AM
I also have a recollection of me and DavidB spotting someone doing a somersault, and literally catching them head first less than a foot off the ground. No way I would have wanted to spot that by myself!

Yup. If you're going to try and do something in a slightly different way it always pays to have spotters. :wink:

M

RogerR
18th-June-2006, 08:19 AM
Spotters help so does a sheet of foam polystyrene 8ft x 4ft x 1 inch as from wickes b&q etc.

littlewiggle
30th-June-2006, 07:07 PM
I found a single bed mattress helpful - it makes you braver!