PDA

View Full Version : Is Ceroc too loud?

DavidY
1st-April-2003, 09:29 PM
Can too much Ceroc damage your hearing? Does anyone know?!

I guess it could be different at other venues (& I admit I've never danced in Scotland), but I sometimes find myself almost shouting to talk to people, and go home with a slight ringing in my ears. I've found this at a few of the venues in my area.

It doesn't feel good for the ears to subject them to this every time I go dancing (which for me is at least twice a week). I guess I could wear ear plugs, but those bright foam things are hardly a fashion item...!

On the other hand I have been to Ceroc nights where the music is just a bit quieter, still easily loud enough to dance to , but you can still hold a conversation without yelling at people - much more sociable in my view, but it seems pretty random and I can go back to the same venue next week and be overwhelmed by the sound levels again.

Am I worrying too much?! What do other people think - dancers? DJs?

David

Tiggerbabe
1st-April-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by DavidY

Am I worrying too much?! David

yup! Leave all the worrying to Peter - he's very good at it!:wink:

Wendy
1st-April-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
yup! Leave all the worrying to Peter - he's very good at it!:wink:

Yep !! And why talk in real life when you can talk on the forum !!!!!!

I know what you mean, though. I found the music really loud on Monday in Glasgow (love you CJ :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: ) and found it almost impossible to hear the person beside me at the back of the hall (and that was Brady and I'm not too shy to stand REAL close to him :devil: !!!). I do have a problem with backround noise, though, and occasionally suffer from tinnitus (that looks a bit like one of those fcuk t shirts doesn't it Stuart !!!) and that's why I hardly ever go to pubs ( I just have to drink at home :wink: ).

Whether it's actually bad for you I couldn't say .... but too loud is not good.

Wxxx

Dave Hancock
2nd-April-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Wendy
I do have a problem..... I just have to drink at home

Wendy, am sure you can get help for this problem:wink:

Wendy
2nd-April-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
Wendy, am sure you can get help for this problem:wink:

Morning Dave !!!

At least I'm not in denial !!! That's a start !!!

Wx:kiss:

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
2nd-April-2003, 10:57 AM
I sometimes find myself almost shouting to talk to people, and go home with a slight ringing in my ears.

If you get ringing on your ears, that is a sign you have caused damage (to a small extent). If you repeatedly do this it can lead to deafness in later life. Sad but true. . . my sister is an ENT nurse and told me this once!

So go buy some funky plugs and start a trend!

Wendy
2nd-April-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Siobhan

So go buy some funky plugs and start a trend!

Bet Gus would know where to get those.. orange ones... ones that light up etc !!!

Wxxx

Jon
2nd-April-2003, 06:41 PM
I'd agree Ceroc can be loud sometimes and since it's suposed to be a social night out, it is nice when the music is at the right volume so you dont have to shout to have a conversation. I find it's really difficult to meet and get to know people when the music drowns out the conversation.

On the other hand, dancing to a good song with the music loud is great! Can't have it both ways.:sad:

Shuffle
2nd-April-2003, 08:11 PM
The music has to be loud enough so that it fills the entire room.

If you though that Ceroc was loud, then you haven't been to some nightclubs where you can feel the music in your bones, and you need a pencil and paper to communicate!

Curtain
2nd-April-2003, 10:31 PM
Speaking as a deejay, I'd have to say that there are times that we play to loud and don't realise it. Because deejays tend to be behind the speakers (and in my case a curtain) we don't get the full impact of the sound so tend to think we aren't playing as loud as we are.

My suggestion would be to have a word with your man on the decks and suggest to him that he's perhaps over stepping the decibel level limit. I'm always thankful for this sort of advice, even if I don't always agree.

Chicklet
3rd-April-2003, 08:55 AM
Turning this a little on its head - did anybody think it wasn't loud ENOUGH :eek: in Glasgow last night.???

It was OK by the "stage" but by the door ?????

just askin :innocent:

Dance Demon
3rd-April-2003, 08:59 AM
Totally agree curtain. Also some CDs play louder than others. If you have played something that has been recorded at a lower sound level, and had to turn the volume up, then play a track from a higher sound Quality disc, it comes on too loud, and you have to readjust the volume. But it is difficult if you are behind the speakers, to get it right all the time. Who says that DJing is not an art form:devil: :devil: :wink: ( sorry wrong thread:sorry )

Stuart M
3rd-April-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Turning this a little on its head - did anybody think it wasn't loud ENOUGH :eek: in Glasgow last night.???

It was OK by the "stage" but by the door ?????

just askin :innocent:

Aha, so the mysterious Chicklet spent most of last night near the stage...the plot thins, as it were.

I thought the volume was fine everywhere. Not so sure about some of the early tracks though, Franck! Eccentric.

It did improve as the night went on though :nice:

Chicklet
3rd-April-2003, 10:01 AM
[I thought the volume was fine everywhere. Not so sure about some of the early tracks though, Franck! Eccentric.

Aha, maybe that was the real er "issue" ...have to say I agree, lost the beat eek: :eek: ( shock horror throw her out!!!!) a couple of times in the early stages and put it down to music not being loud enough :confused: but if it was actually a couple of dodgy tracks then I'll cancel the earblowing appointment!!!!

PS Actually I wasn't by the stage much - so hopefully the plot's not thinner!!!!

Stuart M
3rd-April-2003, 10:09 AM
PS Actually I wasn't by the stage much - so hopefully the plot's not thinner!!!!
Ach, you're just playing hard to get now...

PeterL
3rd-April-2003, 03:59 PM
I can't believe I have missed this thread until now.

The only thing I worry about if I think the music is too loud, is does that mean I'm getting old?:D :D :D

John S
3rd-April-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by PeterL

The only thing I worry about if I think the music is too loud, is does that mean I'm getting old?:D :D :D

No, because as you get older your hearing gets worse and eventually you can't even hear the music at all, no matter how loud it is! :)

(Or so the oldies tell me)
:sorry

DavidY
6th-April-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Shuffle
If you thought that Ceroc was loud, then you haven't been to some nightclubs where you can feel the music in your bones, and you need a pencil and paper to communicate!

I absolutely agree that nightclubs are much louder than Ceroc.

I never could understand why though - Ceroc is usually loud enough to dance to, so why does the volume need to go up several steps from there?

In my book this is (yet another) reason to go to Ceroc instead of nightclubbing... :D
David

Gadget
6th-April-2003, 12:46 PM
I absolutely agree that nightclubs are much louder than Ceroc.

I never could understand why though - Ceroc is usually loud enough to dance to, so why does the volume need to go up several steps from there?

In my book this is (yet another) reason to go to Ceroc instead of nightclubbing... :D
David
I agree - I much prefer to be able to talk and listen/dance to the music. And the barman can hear what you are saying without yelling and leaning over the bar.
I think the reason it's so loud is that it gives "youngsters" an excuse not to have to find a conversational topic to talk to each other about. And since it's impossable to talk, it's perfectly acceptable to openly lean over the dance floor and oggle the talent. It also is a good excuse to lean in really close to yell in each other's ears.... I think I'll stop there before I get a reputation. {or an even worse one anyway :sorry:}

Jon
6th-April-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
and oggle the talent. Nothing wrong with that Gadget! :wink: Some of my best nights out are spent just watching others dance and others try (person in white trousers springs to mind :sorry )

TheTramp
6th-April-2003, 01:27 PM
What's wrong with my white trousers then Jon??

Steve

Jon
6th-April-2003, 04:07 PM
Never seen you in white Steve! :innocent:

TheTramp
6th-April-2003, 05:33 PM
Ah. Well, next time I get across to Greenwich, I'll make sure that I wear the white trousers then!

Was thinking about coming tonight, but my knee is a little sore after the exertions of last night, and I think that the sensible thing to do would be to give it a rest. Hopefully soon though....

Steve

Gadget
6th-April-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Was thinking about coming tonight, but my knee is a little sore after the exertions of last night, and I think that the sensible thing to do would be to give it a rest.
Sensible? Anyway, you could just go and oggle as per Joh's advice for a good night out :wink:

TheTramp
6th-April-2003, 11:34 PM
Yeah.

Sensible.

It's a scary thought, isn't it!

Steve

bigdjiver
7th-April-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Curtain
Speaking as a deejay, I'd have to say that there are times that we play to loud and don't realise it. Because deejays tend to be behind the speakers (and in my case a curtain) we don't get the full impact of the sound so tend to think we aren't playing as loud as we are.

My suggestion would be to have a word with your man on the decks and suggest to him that he's perhaps over stepping the decibel level limit. I'm always thankful for this sort of advice, even if I don't always agree.

I have tried 'having a word' but the first to lose their hearing seems to be the DJ. A few do seem to be on an ego trip.

IMO it is essential for coaching to be able to have a sensible conversation on at least part of the dancefloor.

In many venues the loadspeakers are sitting on the stage, and it is possible to dance within a few feet of them. This is definitely a possible permanent damage scenario. Ideally the speakers should be high in the air so nobody gets the full blast.

Curtain
8th-April-2003, 11:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you seem to have a problem convincing your deejay his/her head needs deflated somewhat, but you should encourage them to stand in front of the speakers. This is because, regardless of the deejay's hearing ability, it should become pretty obvious to them, even in terms of sound quality, that they need to tone it down. I'm usually okay, because I always make sure I have a monitor speaker up on stage to assist me in judging my levels (perhaps you should suggest this to your deejay).

On your point about raising the speakers off the ground, I can tell you that this is often done with speaker stands. However, this doesn't necessarily ease the pressure on your ear drums, in fact it's probably worse for them because they are at head level. My suggestion would be to stay at a reasonable distance away from the speakers if you're not into being blasted by them, but you'd be amazed at how my people like the full sound near the stage.

Jon
9th-April-2003, 12:28 AM
Curtain, you sure its not just the good dancers being by the stage:wink:

Curtain
9th-April-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Curtain
you'd be amazed at how my people like the full sound near the stage.

Sorry to quote myself, but where it says "my people" it should say "many people" in case you thought I was being strange!! On Jon's point, I'd have to say that every standard of dancer has been known to dance near the stage at some point or other. There doesn't seem to be territorial elitism or dancer bias in any particular area in Aberdeen (at least that I'm aware of). Maybe I'm wrong, but you would have to ask the dancers (anyone wish to clarify?) I think it's just that some people like their music loud!!

Gadget
9th-April-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Jon
Curtain, you sure its not just the good dancers being by the stage:wink:
Don't know about anyone else, but my location on the dance floor is more to do with clear space than where the music is loudest/quietest -
Most beginners seem to just get onto the dance floor closest to their seat which is normaly fairly close to the door, which is normally at the other end of the floor from the stage, which means that the stage area has more space, which means that more experianced dancers will move to the open space closer to the stage.

Elementary my dear Watson. :wink:

Chicklet
9th-April-2003, 08:58 AM
Mr Curtain, sir, will you be Glasgowing tonight?

DavidB
9th-April-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
which means that more experienced dancers will move to the open space closer to the stage I usually find the more experienced dancers keep as close to the edge of the floor as possible. It gives you at least one side where no-one is going to hit you.

David

TheTramp
9th-April-2003, 12:29 PM
And the really experienced dancers will therefore dance in a corner, which gives you 2 sides with no-one to attack you on!! :D

Steve

Wendy
9th-April-2003, 12:36 PM
And the really experienced dancers will therefore dance in a corner, which gives you 2 sides with no-one to attack you on!! :D

Steve

So you'll all recognise me in London.. I'll be one of the 650 women standing in the corner furthest away from the door but not too near the speakers !! Whew ! Sorted !!

Wxxx

Chicklet
9th-April-2003, 12:37 PM
hmmmmm or two sides on which you are vulnerable to people returning from the bar with full glasses!!!!!!

Will
9th-April-2003, 12:46 PM
And the phenomenally experienced dancers will dance No-where near the Tramp.

Indeed last night I was at Hipsters and made the mistake of dancing in the same corner as the Tramp. Then during the dance I span the lady and myself at the same time only to find when I completed my turn that my beautiful partner had metamophed into the Tramp and I was suddenly no longer leading! To make things worse he'd also swallowed up my partner as well as hanging onto his own with his right leg. This basically meant that I and 2 ladys were flouncing round Steve. I might not be returning to Hipsters for some time. :sick:

TheTramp
9th-April-2003, 12:51 PM
Okie. So, the honest and accurate sequence of events that happened last night.....

I was doing a little triple trouble with 3 very attractive young ladies. (Greedy?? Who, me???).

So, I had one of them behind me, while giving my full attention to the 2 lovelies in front of me. Turned, took the hand of the young lady behind me. To find out that she had turned into Will.

Which was scarier than a very scary thing indeed.

Steve

Will
9th-April-2003, 01:17 PM
To find out that she had turned into Will.

:waycool: Smokin! :waycool:

CJ
9th-April-2003, 04:57 PM
Mr Curtain, sir, will you be Glasgowing tonight?

'Fraid to say Chicky D, you're stuck with me tonight.....:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hey, you've had good music once already this week, what more do you need?

Chicklet
9th-April-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
'Fraid to say Chicky D, you're stuck with me tonight.....:D :D :D :D :D :D :

Hey, you've had good music once already this week, what more do you need?

This will be lovely also.

Bet you don't spot me!!!!!!!:D

CJ
9th-April-2003, 05:22 PM
and I'll put a fiver I find you, without any help.

Either that, or I get a dance.....

Your call.

Of course, if you too could turn into Will, that would help my cause no end.

Chicklet
9th-April-2003, 05:25 PM
you ask me - I'll dance.

but I would do that anyway so you might not be any further forward!!

and asking EVERY girl in the place is cheating.:D

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
9th-April-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Will
And the phenomenally experienced dancers will dance No-where near the Tramp

What is it about Mr Tramp- he is like a magnet with the ladies... they literally drip off him like hot gravy on a pork chop.

I will take heed and dance at a distance- I just can't compete :wink:

CJ
9th-April-2003, 05:28 PM
I tend to not ask people for dances, particularly whilst spinning dodgy tunes, so I shall ask only one person tonight. 'Twill no doubt be toward the end of the evening, but I'll find you.

As confidence slowly spirals.....

Will
9th-April-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Basil Brush
What is it about Mr Tramp- he is like a magnet with the ladies... they literally drip off him like hot gravy on a pork chop.

Lovel it! :grin:

Chicklet
10th-April-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
I tend to not ask people for dances, particularly whilst spinning dodgy tunes, so I shall ask only one person tonight. 'Twill no doubt be toward the end of the evening, but I'll find you.

As confidence slowly spirals.....

Sir, I do hope the delight showed on my face (even if it may have looked more like a grimace from concentrating terribly hard not to make too many mistakes!!)

The veil of anonymity has slipped, but in the nicest possible way.

Cx:D

PS HOW did you know?????

I thought that fraternising with Lucy and the Polar Bear might have given it away early doors but I hear a whisper it was all in the bag long before that!!!:confused:

CJ
10th-April-2003, 09:39 AM
there were no mistakes, only some experimentation!!

I knew as soon as you arrived. Don't know why, really, but remember a huge part of my work is reading a room, demographics and musical taste. I pretty much knew how you looked before I saw you.

Didn't thinkit would be that easy, though...:wink:

Anyway, 'twas a nice dance and I look forward to the next one. Unfortunately, I'll need to wait on you coming to get me.:yum:

Chicklet
10th-April-2003, 01:30 PM
Must have been the guilty twinkle in my eye.

I'm sure the parole officer said I was getting better at hiding that too:D

C

DavidY
29th-April-2004, 12:57 PM
I came across this website the other day:

http://www.dontlosethemusic.com

It's from the RNID (for Deaf & Hard of Hearing People), and it's about how sound, and particularly music can damage your hearing.

It says "if you can't talk to someone about 2 metres away without shouting, the noise is at a level that could damage your hearing."

I suspect music at most MJ venues is louder than this. :sad:

Definitely food for thought ...

David

DavidB
29th-April-2004, 01:24 PM
I got some Noise Cancelling headphones last year, and they are excellent. I can have the volume at about half the level I used to. They have one slight problem at work - people have to throw things at me before I react.

Don't help with dancing though.

David

Emma
29th-April-2004, 02:34 PM
Pardon?

(sorry, someone had to!! :nice: )

Lynn
29th-April-2004, 04:28 PM
I know someone who suffers from tinnitus and hyperacusis - which is sensitivity to sound. They have had to give up work, can't have the car windows down due to tyre noise, be in city centres due to traffic noise, eat in a busy restaurant etc - its simply all too loud. Not caused by loud music - but it can be. Most of life is at too high a noise level - then I think if you try to talk over loud noise (like music), your brain is trying harder to hear and taking in the sound even more, causing further damage. And when people have hearing damage, they want the TV, music in clubs etc turned up even more - thus causing further damage. Cinemas are often too loud as well. The thing is - if you don't think its too loud it could be because you already have hearing damage. Wearing musicians earplugs can help in the short term but in the long term it increases your sensitivity to sound. I often ask restaurants to turn the volume down a bit so that I can have a conversation without raising my voice too much. We might even see claims for hearing damage being made from staff in clubs etc in future years.

My policy is if its loud, try to find a quieter part of the room, if its really too loud, leave! I did once say to a DJ as due to the room layout the sound was bouncing off a wall facing the speakers and it was terribly loud. He just turned it down a bit and it was much better.

Sheepman
30th-April-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Lynn
Cinemas are often too loud as well. :yeah:
For many years I have worn earplugs at gigs/cinemas/dance venues. But I can't do that when DJing.
(Would you believe the loudest gig I ever went to was Lindisfarne - the whole body was vibrating, much louder than the heavy metal/punk bands).

I'm a bit surprised at the being able to talk normally from 2m away rule. Many restaurants (without music) are too loud for this, just due to chatter.

The problem with DJing (as has already been mentioned) is the normal (bad positioning) of the console, behind the speakers. I will go out on the floor from time to time to check the level. I would much rather be told if people find it is too loud. Different tracks have different levels, and although you can try and check levels before playing a track, I don't find this is very reliable, as there are too many variables for a simple meter reading to be foolproof. I prefer just setting the volume for each track by ear (but you have to know your music if it has a quiet intro before exploding with sound), I'd be interested in knowing what other DJs find is the best.

Greg

Lynn
30th-April-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I'm a bit surprised at the being able to talk normally from 2m away rule. Many restaurants (without music) are too loud for this, just due to chatter. :yeah: The trend for high ceilings and wooden floors in many new restaurants probably has something to do with that - then add the 'background' music (not so good for intimate dinners for two!)

I think most DJs do a great job juggling entertainment (track selection) and technical stuff - and am glad to hear (no pun intended!) that they are happy to get and respond to feedback about volume levels.

DavidY
30th-April-2004, 01:19 PM
By the way I just remembered that one of the most deafening places I went to in the last year was the Ceroc Champs 2003. I had earplugs in all day and even then it seemed really loud. :sad:

Will it be the same this weekend?

DavidY
3rd-May-2004, 02:43 PM
By the way I just remembered that one of the most deafening places I went to in the last year was the Ceroc Champs 2003. I had earplugs in all day and even then it seemed really loud. :sad:

Will it be the same this weekend? This was one of the reasons I didn't go - sounds like not much change there then. :sad:

Gareth
3rd-May-2004, 06:57 PM
Yesterdays CEROC Championships was so loud that when competing it was almost impossible to communicate.

My partner had to wear ear plugs for the rest of the day. :mad: